PDA

View Full Version : Football rules from childhood games

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 02:36 AM
Mind when you were a kid, 'playing oot' with pals and you'd be having twenty-a-side on the local park or in the street. What were the improvised rules you used? Remember these....

Fly goalie - keeper could also be an outfield player and was allowed to join in attacks.

Any man goalie - Any player could save a shot with their hands, but it was still handball if it wasn't a shot on goal.

Next goal wins - Losing 12-3 and need to go home for your dinner? Nae bother, shout 'next goal wins' and the score returns to 0-0 regardless of score. This has to be agreed by both teams.

Nae affside - this means both teams could employ the 'goal hanger', who was available for the long ball. Etiquette dictated that only one goal hanger per team was permissible. More than one was 'cheatin'.

Penalty spot was 'ten steps' from the goal. Pacing out the steps was controversial; they had to be ordinary walking steps and not huge strides. Dispute of the steps required a re-count with everyone counting out loud to ensure the ten were correctly prescribed.

Any other rules you had?

HoboHarry
27-11-2017, 02:47 AM
Aye, nae girls allowed.....

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 02:57 AM
A couple more I've just remembered:

Pays and claims on the ball - if a player managed to lose the ball e.g. kick it somewhere from whence it couldn't be recovered, he would have to reimburse the owner for the cost of the ball. Only valid if the owner made it clear before the game began that 'pays and claims' were in effect. They could not be invoked after the event. If a ball was lost without pays and claims, the offender was under no contractual obligation to pay, but, as a matter of gentlemanly conduct, would be expected to offer a contribution to a replacement - usually half the cost. Refusal to contribute was considered bad form and may result in not being invited to play again. 'He cannae be trusted; he's sleekit'.

Rules on new players entering the game - any new player wishing to join in must be agreed by both teams. Further additions were done in alternate fashion, to ensure 'even sides'. You always hoped the next laddie to come along was a 'gid yin'.

Rules on girls joining the game - this was a very touchy subject. As a general rule girls were not allowed to participate. However, there were one or two exceptions: girls who were known to like playing football may be permitted to play, provided she was agreed by both teams to be good enough. If she was deemed to be of equal ability to an average male player, she could play, but only in the position agreed by her team-mates. Numbers were strictly limited to one or two per team; any more and the girls would have to start their own game.

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 02:58 AM
Aye, nae girls allowed.....

Addressed above, Harry. A very delicate issue :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 03:13 AM
Age restrictions - no lower age limit if deemed good enough to play, but an upper limit of around two years older than the kids in your class. Anything more than that was considered an unfair advantage and you would then be required to find a new game. Being considered of age to play was one of the great rights of passage; a bit like being 'made' in the Mafia. A proud day which you broadcast to as many people as possible.

'Being' a professional player - taking the name of a famous player in the game was permissible but, if from a Scottish club, he could only be from the team you supported e.g. Hibs fans could only play as a Hibs player e.g. Archibald etc. A Hibs fan couldn't be McStay or McCoist. If the player was from a non-Scottish team, you could be anyone e.g. Dalglish or Maradona. Arguments about who was going to be who were very common.

MyJo
27-11-2017, 03:47 AM
The height of the goal is roughly equivalent to the height of the goalie and a shot that the goalie couldn't reach above his head was "over"

When teams where uneven the larger team had to have a permanent goalie while the other team played any man in.

When playing any man in the "keeper" had to declare "I'm in" when taking his position in the goals. Saving the ball without declaring "I'm in" was severely frowned upon.

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 05:09 AM
The height of the goal is roughly equivalent to the height of the goalie and a shot that the goalie couldn't reach above his head was "over"

When teams where uneven the larger team had to have a permanent goalie while the other team played any man in.

When playing any man in the "keeper" had to declare "I'm in" when taking his position in the goals. Saving the ball without declaring "I'm in" was severely frowned upon.

:agree:

:top marks

I didn't mention under any man goalie. Handling the ball without being 'in' meant a penalty.

BH Hibs
27-11-2017, 05:47 AM
Goal or a penalty rule. Used to solve an argument whether the ball was in or not.

offshorehibby
27-11-2017, 08:01 AM
I'm sure we had a 2 corners a penalty rule o x amount of corners a penalty.

Peevemor
27-11-2017, 08:04 AM
I'm sure we had a 2 corners a penalty rule o x amount of corners a penalty.

That was only when playing headers & volleys.

johnbc70
27-11-2017, 08:09 AM
When playing English teams it was always Man Utd V Liverpool.

Just Jimmy
27-11-2017, 08:11 AM
makers, takers.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

yonder1875
27-11-2017, 08:18 AM
Hitters, gitters. Also, poachin' pens.

sleeping giant
27-11-2017, 09:22 AM
Heiders by dinnae count.

Green Man
27-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Goal or a penalty rule. Used to solve an argument whether the ball was in or not.

I’d totally forgotten about that, it was much better than goal line technology :greengrin

Mixu62
27-11-2017, 09:31 AM
When using jumpers or jackets for goalposts it was agreed early whether a shot that hit the "post" was in or out.

Playing "3 and in" where you only had a few players so only used one set of goals. Whoever scored 3 first went in goals. Poaching not allowed. If you got a deflected shot at your feet on the goal line you had to take the ball back out and try to beat everyone again.

Hiber-nation
27-11-2017, 09:40 AM
"World Cup". A game where each player was designated a different team in the World Cup, usually based on age (oldest got Brazil, youngest got El Salvador), you had 1 set of goals and the goalie would boot the ball as far as he could and all the other players would compete to score. Magic :greengrin

-Jonesy-
27-11-2017, 09:41 AM
None of yous did a "post rebound"?

If the ball went over the pile of jackets the keeper had to take the ball, stand at the post facing away from the pitch and throw it backwards over his head.

Ozyhibby
27-11-2017, 09:42 AM
https://www.brookmyre.co.uk/extras/short-stories/playground-football/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bristolhibby
27-11-2017, 09:57 AM
"World Cup". A game where each player was designated a different team in the World Cup, usually based on age (oldest got Brazil, youngest got El Salvador), you had 1 set of goals and the goalie would boot the ball as far as he could and all the other players would compete to score. Magic :greengrin

Or as it’s called down South “Wembley”.

We used to play on a sloping field, when the ball was booted miles down the hill, the person to retrieve said ball was decided by “last to sit down”.

Awkward situations ensued when two or more players sat at the same time and nobody would go collect the ball. This often resulted in the whole game being suspended as both teams sat on the floor.

J

snooky
27-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Pairs of late comers were chosen by "cock or hen" or "pug or engine".

We played Comby. 3 or 4 outfield players against the goalie. Shots hit by were counted as a goal for the keeper. Only headed goals counted in the pen. box. Shots had to be from outside the pen. box. Everybody changed round one after 6 goals. I've heard this game called by other names but can't remember them.

jgl07
27-11-2017, 10:35 AM
Yes I am sure that those in England similarly used Rangers and Celtic as Scottish teams.

Firestarter
27-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Nae toe pokes.

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2017, 10:55 AM
8 half time, 15 the winner.

greenlex
27-11-2017, 10:57 AM
10 half time 21 the winners
Obviously had longer games than CWG

Ozyhibby
27-11-2017, 11:01 AM
10 half time 21 the winners
Obviously had longer games than CWG

Or worse defenders.[emoji3]

SonOfDavidFrancey
27-11-2017, 11:02 AM
https://www.brookmyre.co.uk/extras/short-stories/playground-football/

I went looking for this article as soon as I saw the thread. The link here not working for me, but the poppythieves have thieved it here: http://www.londonhearts.com/humour/schoolfitba.htm

I know it's a bugbear of Brookmyre's that this article has been so often pinched.

greenlex
27-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Or worse defenders.[emoji3]

Or better strikers.

My_Wife_Camille
27-11-2017, 11:17 AM

If the ball went over the pile of jackets the keeper had to take the ball, stand at the post facing away from the pitch and throw it backwards over his head.
We did this

MyJo
27-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Playing "bangers" on a 5 a side pitch or smaller.

2 man game, one in each goal taking shots at each other but you weren't allowed past halfway to shoot. It was a delicate balance between going far enough forward to have a decent chance of scoring and leaving your goal exposed

the "nae rebounds" rule when playing at the Pitz. If the ball hits the boards behind the goal you couldn't score from the rebound.
Doing a 1-2 with yourself against the sideboards was allowed but not recommended as it was likely to result in a two footed challenge from behind by the person you took the ball past.
Any player holding the ball against the wall was fair game to be kicked anywhere below the hip, repeatedly until the ball was set free.

JeMeSouviens
27-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Pairs of late comers were chosen by "cock or hen" or "pug or engine".

We played Comby. 3 or 4 outfield players against the goalie. Shots hit by were counted as a goal for the keeper. Only headed goals counted in the pen. box. Shots had to be from outside the pen. box. Everybody changed round one after 6 goals. I've heard this game called by other names but can't remember them.

We called that "10 byes". Headers and volleys were only acceptable goals. The keeper "scored" when it went for a bye kick. First to 10 between outfield players and keeper wins.

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2017, 12:00 PM
We called that "10 byes". Headers and volleys were only acceptable goals. The keeper "scored" when it went for a bye kick. First to 10 between outfield players and keeper wins.

7 byes at my bit.

I mustn't have played as much as anyone else, it seems. :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
27-11-2017, 12:01 PM
Shapes - 1v1 played on the "Shapes ground" which had a big wall at the front and a wee wall at the back. You took it in turns to kick the ball off the front wall. If it reached the back wall or your opponent didn't get it to the front wall, you scored.

JeMeSouviens
27-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Getting first pick when selecting teams. 2 captains (acknowledged best players present) would walk toward one another one step at a time, putting their feet heel after toe. The one who's foot overlapped the other when they met won first pick. Can't remember if this process had a name?

CropleyWasGod
27-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Getting first pick when selecting teams. 2 captains (acknowledged best players present) would walk toward one another one step at a time, putting their feet heel after toe. The one who's foot overlapped the other when they met won first pick. Can't remember if this process had a name?

Tic tac.....

JeMeSouviens
27-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Tic tac.....

Of course! :agree:

WeeRussell
27-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Tic-tac for first pick
Goal aboot in goals.. unless the one guy you knew who was a keeper turned up
Hits it gets it
Play to the real football pitch touchline on one side, and about a yard away from the trees on the other.
Full time when it's dark, unless numbers are ruined with too many folk with strict parents who have to go hame for tea.

Game on.

Oh and in more recent times - keep that egg-shaped baw away from the pitch.

Firestarter
27-11-2017, 12:20 PM
5 and a kick in.

Have to score past the goalie on a volley or a header, if the goalie lets in 5 consecutive goals he gets a kick up the arse from all participants. Should an outfield player hit the ball wide or the keeper catches the shot and doesn't drop it that player swaps and becomes goalie.

If the goalie lets in 10 consecutive goals they get 2 kicks up the arse and if unfortunate to let in 15 they have to run the gauntlet which means they have to run through a row of all the players, two of them facing each other, getting kicked and punched below head height.

One Day Soon
27-11-2017, 12:28 PM
'Pairs'

Fixed goalie and as many pairs as you could make up from whoever turned up at the park that afternoon/night. I can remember some mental games with seven or eight pairs - we should just have played proper sides.

3 goals from a pair to get through to next round, last pair eliminated each round. Each player in the pair had to touch the ball before you could score.

Played at the top end of Libby Park. Anyone responsible for kicking the ball into the reservoir had to be the one to go get it. Since it had a high wall and plenty of barbed wire it was always a welcome rest after ages of playing in the baking sun.

'Crossbar'

Two players, one either side of the goals. You have to try to hit the cross bar to score a point, first to 15 wins. You're not allowed to control the ball when it comes to you, you only get to touch it one. No pints for goalposts.

'Mr Kickie'

Also known as shapes. Two players or two teams of two. Played in the school playground of St Cat's, Gracemount, against either of the gable ends of the two-floor blocks. As with 'Crossbar' only one touch allowed from wherever the ball ends up (or you could try to take your kick while the ball was moving off the wall rebound). A tricky game because it was on the same space that was used for British Bulldogs (and, later, the much, much more mental British Bullfrogs) and occasionally would take place at the same time as British Bulldogs/Bullfrogs for extra mayhem. Object of the game was to hit the wall from your kick, miss three times and you're out and someone else slots in.

'Seals'

You and your mates are knackered after a long jumpers for goalposts game. The game peters out and you sit on the grass talking crap knowing it isn't going to restart that afternoon/evening. At some point someone grabs the ball and shouts Seals! which means that they can kick the ball as hard as they like at the group of you sitting and lying on the ground. Rules: Only two seal-cullers allowed, everyone else has to be a seal. Once the culling starts the cullers are allowed one touch to control the ball and then one kick, taking it turns about to try to hit you. Seals must remain sitting or flat on the ground and on the same spot. Seals can rotate on the spot toward the culler taking the kick but cannot run away, stand up or hide behind someone else unless they are already naturally in front of them.

'Long Bangers'

Two guys, shots at each other's goals across the width of a pitch with only one touch and then a kick allowed. Played until you were too knackered to carry on.

Mr White
27-11-2017, 12:29 PM
5 and a kick in.

Have to score past the goalie on a volley or a header, if the goalie lets in 5 consecutive goals he gets a kick up the arse from all participants. Should an outfield player hit the ball wide or the keeper catches the shot and doesn't drop it that player swaps and becomes goalie.

If the goalie lets in 10 consecutive goals they get 2 kicks up the arse and if unfortunate to let in 15 they have to run the gauntlet which means they have to run through a row of all the players, two of them facing each other, getting kicked and punched below head height.

And we wonder why Scottish football has been left behind by other smaller nations :greengrin

One Day Soon
27-11-2017, 12:32 PM
After you've done tic tac toe and picked sides any other guys arriving later get allocated on the basis of either: a negotiation as to the new arrival's ability relative to the current teams and therefore involving fantasy football league style trading of players in the existing teams or on the basis of two wee guys for one big guy.

--------
27-11-2017, 12:39 PM

Nah - we had Spurs and Arsenal. There was a lad Jim from Berwick-on-Tweed who supported Spurs, and some of the Hibees among us supported Arsenal - their strip looked exactly like a Hibs strip on B&W TV. There was one fanatical Liverpool supporter but we just hit him till he shut up.

Sometimes we'd play a series of games 5 minutes each way - quarter-finals, semis and then 10 each way for the final either Scottish or FA Cup, choosing teams for each 'tie'. Anyone suggesting Leeds Utd in the FA Cup either had to withdraw the suggestion, play on his own against the rest of us, or leave. Everybody especially one guy from Yorkshire HATED Leeds Utd.

Accrington Stanley won the FA Cup twice - can't remember who they beat, but Jim and I were stars for them on both occasions.

-Jonesy-
27-11-2017, 12:39 PM
"Heiders and Volleys"

Everyone against one goalkeeper. Ball Crossed in corner style and players can only score with a header or volley, but only counts if struck outside the arbitrary 6 yard(more like 10) line. If inside the 6 yard box, a goal would only count if scored with a "fancy" i.e. Overhead, scissors kick, back heel volley or diving header. Player who misses or is saved with three attempts takes next turn in goal. If keeper catches, not punches, cross it counted as a save against the crosser. The ball could also be kept "alive" between outfield players so long as it didn't touch the ground, which led to some sublime keepy uppy skills.

Quality game

--------
27-11-2017, 12:42 PM
'Pairs'

Fixed goalie and as many pairs as you could make up from whoever turned up at the park that afternoon/night. I can remember some mental games with seven or eight pairs - we should just have played proper sides.

3 goals from a pair to get through to next round, last pair eliminated each round. Each player in the pair had to touch the ball before you could score.

Played at the top end of Libby Park. Anyone responsible for kicking the ball into the reservoir had to be the one to go get it. Since it had a high wall and plenty of barbed wire it was always a welcome rest after ages of playing in the baking sun.

'Crossbar'

Two players, one either side of the goals. You have to try to hit the cross bar to score a point, first to 15 wins. You're not allowed to control the ball when it comes to you, you only get to touch it one. No pints for goalposts.

'Mr Kickie'

Also known as shapes. Two players or two teams of two. Played in the school playground of St Cat's, Gracemount, against either of the gable ends of the two-floor blocks. As with 'Crossbar' only one touch allowed from wherever the ball ends up (or you could try to take your kick while the ball was moving off the wall rebound). A tricky game because it was on the same space that was used for British Bulldogs (and, later, the much, much more mental British Bullfrogs) and occasionally would take place at the same time as British Bulldogs/Bullfrogs for extra mayhem. Object of the game was to hit the wall from your kick, miss three times and you're out and someone else slots in.

'Seals'

You and your mates are knackered after a long jumpers for goalposts game. The game peters out and you sit on the grass talking crap knowing it isn't going to restart that afternoon/evening. At some point someone grabs the ball and shouts Seals! which means that they can kick the ball as hard as they like at the group of you sitting and lying on the ground. Rules: Only two seal-cullers allowed, everyone else has to be a seal. Once the culling starts the cullers are allowed one touch to control the ball and then one kick, taking it turns about to try to hit you. Seals must remain sitting or flat on the ground and on the same spot. Seals can rotate on the spot toward the culler taking the kick but cannot run away, stand up or hide behind someone else unless they are already naturally in front of them.

'Long Bangers'

Two guys, shots at each other's goals across the width of a pitch with only one touch and then a kick allowed. Played until you were too knackered to carry on.

You were a bit young for PINTS, weren't you? The bar staff in our village knew all our ages ...

Firestarter
27-11-2017, 01:25 PM
And we wonder why Scottish football has been left behind by other smaller nations :greengrin

:greengrin

Smartie
27-11-2017, 03:36 PM

Surely it's because in Scotland you've gone all snowflake whereas other nations are still allowed to use the aforementioned character-building, behaviour-shaping techniques?

T.Butcher

Ipswich

HoboHarry
27-11-2017, 03:40 PM
You were a bit young for PINTS, weren't you? The bar staff in our village knew all our ages ...
Bar staff in my local knew our ages as well but they turned a blind eye if you were a good darts player....... :greengrin

Roxyhibee
27-11-2017, 03:57 PM
A goalie who could come out and play if that team was a man short was called a 'backie ann' .

Playing crossing with just maybe 3 of us - the 2 strikers could only score with a volley or 'fancy flick' - or set up a Willie Carr.

Knockout - 5 have turned up and 2 pairs play against each other with one goalie stopping.

Everything else has been brilliantly covered here and I recognise it all.

Great thread.

Smartie
27-11-2017, 03:59 PM
Donkey

Game often reverted to finish off once the players had got fed up with any one of the above games.

Players stand in a circle doing group keepie-uppies. Whenever the ball is allowed to touch the ground, the player most culpable for it touching the ground (as decided by all the other players) is allocated a letter from the word "donkey". When a player accumulates enough letters to spell the word "donkey" every other player gets to aim a free shot at the donkey's backside whilst they are bent over.

Negative reinforcement that did wonders for my first touch.

lyonhibs
27-11-2017, 04:02 PM
Tic tac.....

No ladders!!! That was a shout when tic tac was ongoing but I'll be damned if I can remember what it referred to..........

MyJo
27-11-2017, 04:09 PM
No ladders!!! That was a shout when tic tac was ongoing but I'll be damned if I can remember what it referred to..........

Was that not when you could try for lying down keeping your feet in the same position to reach the other persons feet with your hand?

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 04:20 PM

We used to have 'every man for hisel' and 'doubles'. Singles was one goalie and knockout rounds; score to go through, last man eliminated. Same rules for doubles. We didn't call it World Cup though.

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Eating your dinner like a starving hyena so you had an extra ten minutes of play, as your maw commented on your table manners :greengrin

lord bunberry
27-11-2017, 04:35 PM
5 and a kick in.

We had a similar game, you had to score three volleys or heeders. If you scored three the keeper had to bend over and the other players were allowed to have a free shot at kicking the ball at the keepers arse. If one of the players put a shot wide they had to go in goals and the counter was reset.
Great days :greengrin

Firestarter
27-11-2017, 04:50 PM
We had a similar game, you had to score three volleys or heeders. If you scored three the keeper had to bend over and the other players were allowed to have a free shot at kicking the ball at the keepers arse. If one of the players put a shot wide they had to go in goals and the counter was reset.
Great days :greengrin

Hot ass I believe :greengrin great way of practicing precision.:thumbsup:

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Can remember telling a boy that Argentina had a star player called Fray Bentos. He chose him when someone else had chosen to be Pele.

JeMeSouviens
27-11-2017, 05:03 PM
We used to have 'every man for hisel' and 'doubles'. Singles was one goalie and knockout rounds; score to go through, last man eliminated. Same rules for doubles. We didn't call it World Cup though.

I remember it at first got called world cup singles and world cup doubles by us (around the time of the 78 world cup I think) but just ended up as singles and doubles after that.

JeMeSouviens
27-11-2017, 05:06 PM
Remember trying to ping the ball off the "no ball games" sign attached to the school fence to wind up the grumpy bugger whose garden backed on to it. :wink:

Getting the ball back from in there was an SAS style mission. :worried::offski:

-Jonesy-
27-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Was that not when you could try for lying down keeping your feet in the same position to reach the other persons feet with your hand?

We called that a lamp post

IlDiavola
27-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Can remember telling a boy that Argentina had a star player called Fray Bentos. He chose him when someone else had chosen to be Pele.

My dad told me that there were two teams from Turin - Juventus and Fray Bentos :greengrin

Worst bit is, I believed him.

The Pointer
27-11-2017, 05:22 PM
Every game played with a constant David Francie commentary.

"It's a driiiiiiive - and oh my goodness!"

IlDiavola
27-11-2017, 05:26 PM

What a stramash.

WoreTheGreen
27-11-2017, 05:49 PM

Or waaannn niiiillll as Coleman would say

JeMeSouviens
27-11-2017, 05:55 PM

Any excuse ... :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTEgsQz-Muw

leithsansiro
27-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Oh man, I am loving this thread! Isn't it cool everyone recognises these games in their own versions? Slightly sadly, I doubt kids would having similar experiences nowadays.

On a related point, reading this thread brought back memories of the day that some boy painted a goal frame (with a squint crossbar) using white gloss paint on the gable end of an elderly woman's house in our estate. It made for a cool pitch, for about an hour, until her grown up son arrived (i suppose she'd phoned him) and threatened to batter "whichever little p***k painted that f***ing thing". My vocabulary of swear words grew massively a nine year old that day.

IlDiavola
27-11-2017, 05:58 PM
Or SEVEN niiiillll as Coleman would say

That better? :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Walley - played with either a tennis ball or a football. Great at school, off the gym or assembly wall. Everyone had to hit the wall with only one touch, taken in turns. If you missed your shot you were out. If you were quick enough, you'd take your shot before the ball stopped, when it was your go.

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Neighbour complaints about the ball were relayed to your maw, but any serious issue, such as a broken window, would be escalated to "wait til yer da gets hame". The **** had hit the fan.
"Aw naw, don't tell da. It was an accident; cover for me, maw" :greengrin

WoreTheGreen
27-11-2017, 06:35 PM
nae balls were allowed in our playground so we played with wee orange juice cartons

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2017, 06:43 PM
Yes I am sure that those in England similarly used Rangers and Celtic as Scottish teams.

Nah we used English teams, never really heard of Rangers and only knew of Celtic because of Dalglish.

Scouse Hibee
27-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Walley - played with either a tennis ball or a football. Great at school, off the gym or assembly wall. Everyone had to hit the wall with only one touch, taken in turns. If you missed your shot you were out. If you were quick enough, you'd take your shot before the ball stopped, when it was your go.

We called it SPOT every miss gave you a letter, once you had spelled SPOT you were out.

HappyAsHellas
27-11-2017, 06:47 PM
We were not allowed any balls at Leith Walk primary (late 60's) so had to use a ball made of rolled up socks. Only rule was get your socks in quick because the last pair used were stretched to buggery and full of holes at the end of the game. The worst or fattest player was always the goalie and instantly pilloried if he failed in his duties.

jodjam
27-11-2017, 06:59 PM
We were not allowed any balls at Leith Walk primary (late 60's) so had to use a ball made of rolled up socks. Only rule was get your socks in quick because the last pair used were stretched to buggery and full of holes at the end of the game. The worst or fattest player was always the goalie and instantly pilloried if he failed in his duties.

Sock ball at Trinity in the 70’s as well

Firestarter
Oh man, I am loving this thread! Isn't it cool everyone recognises these games in their own versions? Slightly sadly, I doubt kids would having similar experiences nowadays.

On a related point, reading this thread brought back memories of the day that some boy painted a goal frame (with a squint crossbar) using white gloss paint on the gable end of an elderly woman's house in our estate. It made for a cool pitch, for about an hour, until her grown up son arrived (i suppose she'd phoned him) and threatened to batter "whichever little p***k painted that f***ing thing". My vocabulary of swear words grew massively a nine year old that day.

Football was great back in the day either in car parts diving about on gravel or even making class sets of goals made of found you found or steel barriers, never happens now and I'm only talking 20 years ago. The pitz was a massive privilege and everywhere I used to play has no ball games and or massive long grass or houses built. Cannae even remember the last time I seen a group playing on a bit of grass outside houses or even playing kurbie. Led to great team work and learning young, selling golf balls on the courses going in bushes to find them summer holidays where amazing and I hated being in. Now my boy goes tonto if he can't get on his Xbox.

WoreTheGreen
Simple question did all jannys have a limp?

Sammy7nil
27-11-2017, 07:02 PM
The ubiquitous drunk guy coming out the pub at afternoon closing time running on the pitch trying to kick the ball :greengrin
Always too pished to play but the always tried.

Sammy7nil
27-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Simple question did all jannys have a limp?

Yes and a crew cut

WoreTheGreen
27-11-2017, 07:08 PM
The Meedies or the Meadows as called now on a summers night or Sunday morning you could not see the grass for take on's today nothing apart from students playing fizbee

snooky
27-11-2017, 07:10 PM

It died when they removed the tanner from circulation. Naebody could buy a baw anymare.

WoreTheGreen
27-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Yes and a crew cut

And a great choice of pens in his top pocket

Firestarter
27-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Yes and a crew cut

Nah ours was fat and bald and was like the fat controller on Thomas. Great guy. Gutted when I heard he had died.

Lago
27-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Mind when you were a kid, 'playing oot' with pals and you'd be having twenty-a-side on the local park or in the street. What were the improvised rules you used? Remember these....

Fly goalie - keeper could also be an outfield player and was allowed to join in attacks.

Any man goalie - Any player could save a shot with their hands, but it was still handball if it wasn't a shot on goal.

Next goal wins - Losing 12-3 and need to go home for your dinner? Nae bother, shout 'next goal wins' and the score returns to 0-0 regardless of score. This has to be agreed by both teams.

Nae affside - this means both teams could employ the 'goal hanger', who was available for the long ball. Etiquette dictated that only one goal hanger per team was permissible. More than one was 'cheatin'.

Penalty spot was 'ten steps' from the goal. Pacing out the steps was controversial; they had to be ordinary walking steps and not huge strides. Dispute of the steps required a re-count with everyone counting out loud to ensure the ten were correctly prescribed.

Any other rules you had?

Can't remember any rules, we all chased after the ball like a pack of dogs. :greengrin

MyJo
27-11-2017, 07:33 PM
nae balls were allowed in our playground so we played with wee orange juice cartons

I remember several games at school where nobody had brought in a ball so we had to make do with an empty plastic irn-bru bottle instead........sometimes even getting a half filled one on the go which made for a half-decent scud missile when you caught it just right

McD
27-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Walley - our primary school had a funny layout of walls and sloped grass and slabs round it, you had to hit one particular wall section. A skilled player could angle the ball to arc along a slope, or even better round the corner, which meant you had to be quick to catch the ball and get your one hit in before it got too far. Made you appreciate all sorts of gradients and angles :greengrin

10-21er - half time and full time

pairs - one goalie and every else in pairs. Never threes, only pairs or sometimes singles. Was a pisser if you were the first lot out, we used to end up with 5-6 paurs sometimes.

speech play - was considered bad form to shout to put off a player about to shoot, and often resulted in a penalty for the shooter if they used that as their excuse for making an erse of the shot :greengrin:greengrin

slow players trying to incorporate a rule that faster players weren’t allowed to just knock the ball past a slow one and sprint by (usually laughed at but funny to think about, I was a faster one)

Hits it gits it

everybody knowing that regardless of who owned the ball, when the auld prick who hated us playing fitba at the field came out, whoever was closest grabbed the ball and we all scattered

the measure of whether a shot had gone just under or just over the bar being based on whether it went over the fence some distance behind the goals or not

beensaidbefore
27-11-2017, 08:21 PM
7 byes at my bit.

I mustn't have played as much as anyone else, it seems. :greengrin

That was it

Golden Bear
27-11-2017, 08:24 PM
A player with lesser skills could only get a game if he happened to appear with a guid 'ba.

erin go bragh
27-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Before picking your teammates. Two people would play tick tack with their feet( starting about five feet apart ) Whoever stood on the other persons foot first got first pick .

SideBurns
27-11-2017, 09:30 PM
I mind taking my ba' tae school circa 1978/79. As owner of said ba', I naturally had the authority to decide who got a gemme. A laddie offered me a Panini sticker of Hearts 'star striker' Wullie Gibson if I'd let him play. He got a gemme, but I didnae bother taking the sticker...the daft things ye remember..

Iggy Pope
27-11-2017, 09:51 PM
5-11 or 10-21 if it was a big take on.

Cross-in with heiders only in a box set out carefully with discarded jumpers.. Volleys only outside the box. Byes the goalie got a goal.Three corners the strikers got a penalty.

Long bangers.
One touch long bangers!

Kerby if you had an empty Iona street.

Benchy if you had an empty Iona steeet swing park, double goals if you headed it through the gap.

If there was more than 4 of us wed play a game in the backies. Boot it as high and hard as you can. Next man had to get to it before it stopped moving and do the same. Repeat until buggered. Didn't half shed the Angel Delight.

Ventured Doon the Links,and played 'Barry' decades before Soccer AM.

Wish I was 10 again. Hibs were ****ing brilliant too!

AgentDaleCooper
27-11-2017, 09:58 PM

I remember that!!!

Firestarter
27-11-2017, 10:00 PM
I remember several games at school where nobody had brought in a ball so we had to make do with an empty plastic irn-bru bottle instead........sometimes even getting a half filled one on the go which made for a half-decent scud missile when you caught it just right

Juice bottle, put stones in it, jobs a good one.

Firestarter
27-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Walley - our primary school had a funny layout of walls and sloped grass and slabs round it, you had to hit one particular wall section. A skilled player could angle the ball to arc along a slope, or even better round the corner, which meant you had to be quick to catch the ball and get your one hit in before it got too far. Made you appreciate all sorts of gradients and angles :greengrin

10-21er - half time and full time

pairs - one goalie and every else in pairs. Never threes, only pairs or sometimes singles. Was a pisser if you were the first lot out, we used to end up with 5-6 paurs sometimes.

speech play - was considered bad form to shout to put off a player about to shoot, and often resulted in a penalty for the shooter if they used that as their excuse for making an erse of the shot :greengrin:greengrin

slow players trying to incorporate a rule that faster players weren’t allowed to just knock the ball past a slow one and sprint by (usually laughed at but funny to think about, I was a faster one)

Hits it gits it

everybody knowing that regardless of who owned the ball, when the auld prick who hated us playing fitba at the field came out, whoever was closest grabbed the ball and we all scattered

the measure of whether a shot had gone just under or just over the bar being based on whether it went over the fence some distance behind the goals or not

Hits it gits it was amazing, launching it towards houses and school windows 😂😂 anyone up for a mid 30s gairdin run?

Firestarter
27-11-2017, 10:03 PM
A player with lesser skills could only get a game if he happened to appear with a guid 'ba.

Someone really ***** at football but as we learned good at fighting became everyone's first pick defender.

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 10:12 PM
5-11 or 10-21 if it was a big take on.

Cross-in with heiders only in a box set out carefully with discarded jumpers.. Volleys only outside the box. Byes the goalie got a goal.Three corners the strikers got a penalty.

Long bangers.
One touch long bangers!

Kerby if you had an empty Iona street.

Benchy if you had an empty Iona steeet swing park, double goals if you headed it through the gap.

If there was more than 4 of us wed play a game in the backies. Boot it as high and hard as you can. Next man had to get to it before it stopped moving and do the same. Repeat until buggered. Didn't half shed the Angel Delight.

Ventured Doon the Links,and played 'Barry' decades before Soccer AM.

Wish I was 10 again. Hibs were ****ing brilliant too!

I think our version of kerby was a throwing game: you'd try to get the football to hit the kerb so it bounced back towards you.

I remember in 1989 I had a Puma football that was pride and joy - black with lime green pattern; man it was flash and was the envy of all. This was before multi-coloured fitba accessories. I mind taking it to the park for the first time, strutting on like a peacock and pretending not to notice the reaction. I think it was about twenty quid then, at the height of Thatcherism in Scotland. This was the fitba equivalent of the yuppie and his Porsche. Anyway, one of my pals lost it and pays and claims had been lawfully pronounced. Everyone kept asking when he was going to pay up, but I don't think there was any chance he was getting the money from his parents. He ended up giving me a replacement, an old Mitre Delta, which wasn't up to scratch. He was black balled from our club; etiquette had been broken and he was in disgrace. I loved that ball.

That reminds me, who else is of an age where calling a pal a Tory bassa was the ultimate insult? We'd call each other every swear word under the sun, language a sailor would be ashamed of, and never think anything of it. However, calling someone a Tory was fighting talk. Scotland in the eighties/nineties.
"Yer da's a Tory".
"Whit? Yer deid, I'm telling him" :tee hee:

nonshinyfinish
27-11-2017, 10:31 PM
We called that a lamp post

Yes, that's what we called it. You'd call for "tic-tac, nae specials". The possible special moves included the lamp post and turning your foot sideways to keep it our of your opponent's range – that surely had a name but I've no idea what.

This was called bungie in my day.

We would normally be able to scare up at least a tennis ball, but I remember at primary school we played with a stone a few times. Commitment like that, it's incredible none of us were any good.

I think our version of kerby was a throwing game: you'd try to get the football to hit the kerb so it bounced back towards you.

Correct, kerby involves throwing the ball at the opposite kerb.

HoboHarry
27-11-2017, 10:36 PM
You lot must have all been paupers. We always had a good ball and goalposts. Sometimes even had a net as well...... 😀

Hibernia&Alba
27-11-2017, 10:40 PM
You lot must have all been paupers. We always had a good ball and goalposts. Sometimes even had a net as well...... 😀

Yer da was a Tory :hilarious

Loopz
27-11-2017, 10:54 PM
We had concrete circles in the middle of the paths ( My circle can be seen in the Restless natives film, throwing away money scene). There were 4 benches and you had one to defend. If someone got the ball between your bench legs you were out.

We had nets but only after raiding the gardens in Colinton for strawberry nets.

Obviously the game was over when the balls owner had to go in (Why did you only ever seem to have one ball)?

Roxyhibee
27-11-2017, 11:18 PM
The ubiquitous drunk guy coming out the pub at afternoon closing time running on the pitch trying to kick the ball :greengrin
Always too pished to play but the always tried.

In the 60's we stayed right next door to The Ferniehill Inn and me and my pal played in that lane where the bookies was as well.

On a Saturday, pished men would roll out and want a kick of the ba'.! We used to feign reluctance until pennies were offered.! So easy, as they stumbled around in their drinking suits thinking they were Denis Law or Jim Baxter. We even told them they were good, etc. It was like a repeat customer business.!

edinburghhibee
27-11-2017, 11:56 PM
“Shearer and Ferdinand” for us. If there was three of us one goalie and two strikers who played as a team.
Man Utd start 2-0 up and they had 2 minutes roughly to score the goals to win the game.

Coventry city and the likes start 3-0 but you get longer to score!

Miss being a bairn [emoji20]

MyJo
28-11-2017, 12:04 AM

Posh C*** :tee hee:

snooky
28-11-2017, 12:06 AM
You lot must have all been paupers. We always had a good ball and goalposts. Sometimes even had a net as well...... ��

Surplus to requirements, if you're playing the likes of Celtc, some say.

-Jonesy-
28-11-2017, 12:23 AM
Yes, that's what we called it. You'd call for "tic-tac, nae specials". The possible special moves included the lamp post and turning your foot sideways to keep it our of your opponent's range – that surely had a name but I've no idea what.

I think we simply called it "halfies", don't think it counted as a special, but you were only allowed one

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2017, 12:39 AM
We used to do scissors, paper, stone for first pick. In fact it used to solve many potential disputes.

Pete
28-11-2017, 02:40 AM
We used to do scissors, paper, stone for first pick. In fact it used to solve many potential disputes.

More rules?

I'm surprised there was time left for any football. ;-)

HoboHarry
28-11-2017, 04:08 AM
Yer da was a Tory :hilarious
My Da voted for whomever my Mum told him to...... :greengrin

HoboHarry
28-11-2017, 04:09 AM
Posh C*** :tee hee:
:top marksGenuine LOL moment when I read that.......

Mixu62
28-11-2017, 08:17 AM
Kerby! Where you would attempt to play the ball back to yourself off the kerb on the road. Cue frequent shouts of "car" interrupting the game.

MyJo
28-11-2017, 08:22 AM
Kerby! Where you would attempt to play the ball back to yourself off the kerb on the road. Cue frequent shouts of "car" interrupting the game.

Cars didn't interrupt our games, they were bonus opportunities.

10 points if you hit the kerb while throwing it over a car :greengrin

Peevemor
28-11-2017, 08:35 AM

Or barry - one (or sometimes 2) either side of a set of goalposts taking it in turns to try and hit the bar - normally 2 touches max. permitted.

Baker9
28-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Cock or a Hen?

If a game was well established (been playing for, say, half an hour) you could not join it if it was even-sided, unless there was someone else with you. Once you had found a partner you would decide between you who was a Cock or a Hen and the captains who picked the teams would nominate cock or hen. This could all be done without stopping the game.

Gatecrasher
28-11-2017, 09:52 AM

I loved kerby, and if the ball bounced back to you you got to go from half way.

Hits it git it - if someone hammers the ball out of play, so far no one can be arsed to get it. the one who his it got the ball.

son of haggart
28-11-2017, 10:05 AM
Cock or a Hen?

If a game was well established (been playing for, say, half an hour) you could not join it if it was even-sided, unless there was someone else with you. Once you had found a partner you would decide between you who was a Cock or a Hen and the captains who picked the teams would nominate cock or hen. This could all be done without stopping the game.

Yep , it was Cock and Hen down the figgy park in the early sixties. Also Backie Ann for the keeper who could also play outfield, only allowed when one man short.

Whoever kicked the ball in the figgy burn had to retrieve it

....oh and if one of the Arnott family wanted to join in they could choose which side, no questions asked...

One Day Soon
28-11-2017, 10:17 AM

We used a tennis ball in the school playground for the big 15 a side games - don't know why since we used a proper ball for shapes and the other games. I've been convinced ever since that mastering ball control, shooting and passing with something as small as that made much better players out of everyone involved.

One Day Soon
28-11-2017, 10:19 AM
The Meedies or the Meadows as called now on a summers night or Sunday morning you could not see the grass for take on's today nothing apart from students playing fizbee

A 'take-on'! :aok:

snooky
28-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Cock or a Hen?

I remember one day at a kick around in the park, one of my mates said I wonder what we'd do if Pele turned up to which another mate said "He'd get cock or hen with wee Willie" :greengrin

Smartie
28-11-2017, 12:00 PM
We used a tennis ball in the school playground for the big 15 a side games - don't know why since we used a proper ball for shapes and the other games. I've been convinced ever since that mastering ball control, shooting and passing with something as small as that made much better players out of everyone involved.

They should have that as part of any trial when a player wants to join us from exotic climes.

If a player can't stand out during a game of 15-a-side on an icy tarmacked outdoor netball court playing in school shoes whilst using a tennis ball and "jumpers for goalposts", then the club should take their interest no further.

lyonhibs
28-11-2017, 12:38 PM
The permitted balls at Heriot's were these evil size 3, brandless plastic things, not a scrap of leather in sight. Swerved in the air like a cartoon flyaway.

On a cold morning even now I can wince at the thought of taking a fully inflated one of those on the inner thigh on a winter's lunchtime especially during the latter years at school when the games against the year above were utterly epic, the shots increasingly ferocious and I was somehow always in "nets" - meaning between the bin and gate just in front of the chemistry building.

Primary school football is where real memories are formed though.

Great thread.

Smartie
28-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Anyone who went in goals had to wear "the gloves".

The gloves were not specialist goalkeeping gloves. They were big, heavy, leather ski-ing gloves.

They were particularly unpleasant items, mainly due to the owner eating a packet of cheese and onion crisps prior to being first to don "the gloves" every day. After this "the gloves" were heavily perspired into by every player who went on to wear them, as "the gloves" were designed for cold weather pursuits and not the occasionally very high temperatures that Scotland could produce during the summer months when football is actually permitted to be played on the grass.

I'm close to boaking just thinking about them.

The only thing that ever got close to the smell was a sort of "full body shin pad" thing that my old flatmate had to do downhill mountain bike racing in.

Rank.

snooky
28-11-2017, 01:18 PM
I remember (sometime around 1960) the first plastic ball came out. It was red all over and covered in little dimples that could tear the flesh off you. As someone said above, the ball would blow all over the place like a plastic bag in a gale. It also stung like hell whenever you got hit by one.

NthCarolinaHibs
28-11-2017, 01:33 PM
I can mind playing ' Ten by's'...two of you against a goalie and the goalie got a point if you missed the goal...a goal could only be scored by a header,first timer or "fancy"....deary me...was it that long ago ⚽⚽

Peevemor
28-11-2017, 01:35 PM
I can mind playing ' Ten by's'...two of you against a goalie and the goalie got a point if you missed the goal...a goal could only be scored by a header,first timer or "fancy"....deary me...was it that long ago ⚽⚽

10???? :wtf:

Strictly 7 or 11.

NthCarolinaHibs
28-11-2017, 01:37 PM
10???? :wtf:

Strictly 7 or 11.
Glad someone else remembers it...twas 10 up Currie way ⚽

Peevemor
28-11-2017, 01:37 PM
I remember (sometime around 1960) the first plastic ball came out. It was red all over and covered in little dimples that could tear the flesh off you. As someone said above, the ball would blow all over the place like a plastic bag in a gale. It also stung like hell whenever you got hit by one.

Almost as bad as the worn leather ball, complete with laces and bladder, which would increase it's weight tenflod when playing on wet grass and would almost knock you if you got your head to a goalie's punt up the park.

JeMeSouviens
28-11-2017, 01:39 PM
The permitted balls at Heriot's were these evil size 3, brandless plastic things, not a scrap of leather in sight. Swerved in the air like a cartoon flyaway.

On a cold morning even now I can wince at the thought of taking a fully inflated one of those on the inner thigh on a winter's lunchtime especially during the latter years at school when the games against the year above were utterly epic, the shots increasingly ferocious and I was somehow always in "nets" - meaning between the bin and gate just in front of the chemistry building.

Primary school football is where real memories are formed though.

Great thread.

Weren't they oval? :wink:

snooky
28-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Almost as bad as the worn leather ball, complete with laces and bladder, which would increase it's weight tenflod when playing on wet grass and would almost knock you if you got your head to a goalie's punt up the park.

Given the recent speculation about brain damage being connected to heading a football, the players in those days were far more at risk. Today's balls are like balloons in comparison to the 'medicine balls' of yore.

As an aside it's odd that there's so much concern these days about heading a ball causing damage yet no one seems to be bothered about boxing. :coffee:

Baker9
28-11-2017, 02:35 PM
A 'take-on'! :aok:

The take-on.

I haven’t heard that term for decades. What it meant to us was our equivalent of the European Cup including foreign travel of as much as 2 miles. The best 11, within a certain vague age range, from one scheme would take on teams from neighbouring schemes. From an early age, the height of ambition was to make the take-on team.
Discussions about rules and who could play or not play, based loosely on age and size, took place before the game started.
In the mid-50s to the early 60s, top teams in Edinburgh North were Pennywell, West Pilton and Granton. Lesser outfits such as Royston, Drylaw and Muirhouse were considered easybeats though as Muirhouse filled up with new houses and people they became a force.

Pennywell would make the half mile journey across the main road to face West Pilton in front of Craigmuir School, followed by a good away support. Stars included the Kane brothers (later to have some Hibs connection) and the Sharp twins. Rather than using a watch for time an agreed winning number of goals would be played for. The game was self-policed and hooliganism was never a problem. The gang culture was still at its early stages.

Never any money but great times with great people.

WoreTheGreen
28-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Given the recent speculation about brain damage being connected to heading a football, the players in those days were far more at risk. Today's balls are like balloons in comparison to the 'medicine balls' of yore.

As an aside it's odd that there's so much concern these days about heading a ball causing damage yet no one seems to be bothered about boxing. :coffee:

The mitre moudmaster getting hit with that In a freezing meggetland saturday morning. PAIN

lyonhibs
28-11-2017, 03:06 PM
Weren't they oval? :wink:

Touché. Not in the playground they weren't :greengrin

Rugby was a stupid bloody game at the age of 11 - as soon as I had the option of Cross country running I was offski, haring across frozen fields on the weekend as opposed to getting smashed to bits on them.

Bristolhibby
28-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Games form Down South in Bath.

Heads, Volleys, Beats. Goalie and outfield players. Goals are scored only by a header or a volley. Goalie gets out of goal if he catches a header, volley or a setup flick clean or if a striker misses the goal (either wide or over). Person who mucks up then replaces the goalie.

After 5 goals the person in goals receives “beats” from the rest of the team. Beats increase in severity, including “tunnel beats” where the goalie has to run a gauntlet of players. Beats culminates in “Crucifixion beats”, where essentially the goalie takes a whooping.

Wall ball

Wembley - as described a knockout competition.

Wembley doubles (same as Wembley, but two per team).

3 and in - 3 goals then scorer of last goal goes in goal.

J

lord bunberry
28-11-2017, 03:39 PM
The take-on.

I haven’t heard that term for decades. What it meant to us was our equivalent of the European Cup including foreign travel of as much as 2 miles. The best 11, within a certain vague age range, from one scheme would take on teams from neighbouring schemes. From an early age, the height of ambition was to make the take-on team.
Discussions about rules and who could play or not play, based loosely on age and size, took place before the game started.
In the mid-50s to the early 60s, top teams in Edinburgh North were Pennywell, West Pilton and Granton. Lesser outfits such as Royston, Drylaw and Muirhouse were considered easybeats though as Muirhouse filled up with new houses and people they became a force.

Pennywell would make the half mile journey across the main road to face West Pilton in front of Craigmuir School, followed by a good away support. Stars included the Kane brothers (later to have some Hibs connection) and the Sharp twins. Rather than using a watch for time an agreed winning number of goals would be played for. The game was self-policed and hooliganism was never a problem. The gang culture was still at its early stages.

Never any money but great times with great people.

I used to be mates with Tam Sharps son. Tam was some character. Apparently he and his twin signed for hibs and hearts on the same day.

Baker9
28-11-2017, 03:46 PM
I used to be mates with Tam Sharps son. Tam was some character. Apparently he and his twin signed for hibs and hearts on the same day.

I couldn't remember their Christian names but one of them was more extrovert than the other. Sounds like he was Tam and the other might have been Frank?

JeMeSouviens
28-11-2017, 03:49 PM
The mitre moudmaster getting hit with that In a freezing meggetland saturday morning. PAIN

:agree:

The difference in those things when they got cold was unreal. On a frosty morning they were more like concrete than rubber.

Baker9
28-11-2017, 03:52 PM
'Long-banging' was played by two. Two sets of goals were established at around the furthest distance that the two could kick. You could score by connecting well or if your opponent miskicked to say halfway you were entitled to run and blooter the ball from where it was - one touch only.

hibstag
28-11-2017, 05:19 PM

I was thinking that it was the demise of these rules and games and the skills they develop that had contributed to the slow demise of the game...

Golden Bear
28-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Scallywags united!

You couldn't make some of these classic "rules" up. Some of the posts deserve to be archived for posterity.

:greengrin

wookie70
28-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Tis Tac to pick teams. Two captains walked towards each other putting the heel of one foot directly in front of the toe of the other until someones foot landed on top of the opponent's. They got to choose first player and then everyone started worrying that they were going to get picked last.

Knockout - Ball thrown out by keeper and then either individuals or pairs had to score to get through to the next round. If you are left without scoring you are out. Deflections may or may not be allowed. In pairs both players had to touch it.

IlDiavola
28-11-2017, 05:48 PM
How about the Golden rule?

Hibs always beat Hearts. :greengrin:agree: