PDA

View Full Version : Midfield Berth (Daft Old Football Sayings)

Dashing Bob S
25-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Why are ‘berths’ - places where people sleep on ships- always related to midfield rather than defense or strikers?

jacomo
25-11-2017, 11:33 PM
Defenders can't be in a berth because they are at the heart of it.

Strikers, meanwhile, are looking for the line and aiming to lead it.

Edit: do full backs have berths or something else?

Keepers just want to be given The Gloves and don't care about a berth.

One Day Soon
26-11-2017, 12:18 AM

Surely keepers also want to patrol their boxes?

And of course not all midfielders want to occupy a berth, the best ones spend their time trying to fill the Matty Jack role.

-Jonesy-
26-11-2017, 12:53 AM
Surely keepers also want to patrol their boxes?

And of course not all midfielders want to occupy a berth, the best ones spend their time trying to fill the Matty Jack role.

Marvin Bartley Role

wookie70
26-11-2017, 01:06 AM
Some strikers would rather play in the hole

seanshow
26-11-2017, 04:47 AM
Trawling the Leith san siro,SJM is our midfield general.

lapsedhibee
26-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Strikers slot home. Can a striker fill a striker's slot? If so, scoring would be slotting from a slot.

CropleyWasGod
26-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Whatever happened to the pivot?

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Ron Atkinson during his ITV years, before he was sacked for a racist tirade, was full of such sayings.

The back stick - the far post.
The reducer - a crunching tackle.
Going vertical - jumping for the ball.
The lollipop - a step-over before crossing the ball.
Giving him the eyes - making it difficult for an opponent to read the play.

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 09:56 AM

Was that a dance in the seventies?

lapsedhibee
26-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Ron Atkinson during his ITV years, before he was sacked for a racist tirade, was full of such sayings.

Pretty sure there wasn't any tirade. Iirc he used one unacceptable word.

nonshinyfinish
26-11-2017, 10:05 AM

Yes, I think full backs have berths too. Perhaps the modern fashion for full backs to play more like midfielders than defenders is just an attempt to standardise the lexicon.

There's a great book called Football Cliches that covers loads of this stuff. Here's an extract from it cataloguing 73 types of goal: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11151117/They-all-count-73-ways-to-score-a-goal.html.

lapsedhibee
26-11-2017, 10:09 AM
There's a great book called Football Cliches that covers loads of this stuff. Here's an extract from it cataloguing 73 types of goal: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11151117/They-all-count-73-ways-to-score-a-goal.html.

Can't see it there but presume this'll be in the book: ball hitting the back of the net = goal. It's certainly not a goal if the ball hits the back of the net.

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Describing players as a number nine or number ten is irritating to me. These days shirts aren't numbered one to eleven, so it's meaningless. The player in question might be wearing forty. Secondly, pundits only describe players in these two positions by number. I've never heard anyone describe a player as a number four, for example.

CropleyWasGod
26-11-2017, 10:21 AM
I always wondered about this.

If that's the back if the net, what should we call the bit of the net that faces the crowd?

Surely, it's a goal if the ball hits the inside of the back of the net, although not exclusively so.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

tamig
26-11-2017, 10:36 AM
You never hear about midfield schemers nowadays. I think Dylan would be ours today.

jgl07
26-11-2017, 10:39 AM
I was thinking about this early doors.

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 10:43 AM
You never hear about midfield schemers nowadays. I think Dylan would be ours today.

Or a flying winger.

tamig
26-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Or a flying winger.

I see hitmen still being mentioned but marksmen and sharpshooters seem to have had their day.

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 10:47 AM
I see hitmen still being mentioned but marksmen and sharpshooters seem to have had their day.

Do we still have midfield dynamos? The all action central midfield player who loved a tackle: Billy Bremner, Bryan Robson type.

lapsedhibee
26-11-2017, 10:47 AM
I always wondered about this.

If that's the back if the net, what should we call the bit of the net that faces the crowd?

Surely, it's a goal if the ball hits the inside of the back of the net, although not exclusively so.

Also, it's always side netting but never side of the net; yet back of the net but never back netting. Shirley illogical captain.

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 10:52 AM
The hatchet man. The guy who would be put on the opposition's best player to stop him, or, even better, get him stretchered off. Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter, Nobby Stiles, Graeme Souness, Ron Harris.

tamig
26-11-2017, 10:52 AM
Also, it's always side netting but never side of the net; yet back of the net but never back netting. Shirley illogical captain.

In keeping with the theme and to avoid confusion let’s just go back to onion bag.

jgl07
26-11-2017, 10:53 AM
Remember the days of twin strikers?

Or the custodian of the nets?

Or stopper centre halves?

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 10:54 AM
In keeping with the theme and to avoid confusion let’s just go back to onion bag.

In the postage stamp of the onion bag - a powerful shot, right in the top corner. :agree:

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Remember the days of twin strikers?

Or the custodian of the nets?

Or stopper centre halves?

Ah the good auld days of the 4-4-2: 'strike partners', the very best of whom had a 'telepathic relationship'. Strictly platonic mind.

snooky
26-11-2017, 10:55 AM
We don't get shies now -they're throw-ins.
Where's the MW formation these days?
The most horrible expression ever used was 'the old onion bag' instead of 'the net'. :grr:
Btw, anybody still got dubbin?

Finally, whatever happened to "Erza macaroon bars"?

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 10:58 AM
The most horrible expression ever used was 'the old onion bag' instead of 'the net'. :grr:

It was wintergreen when I was a kid. Give you the edge in winter schools matches.

NORTHERNHIBBY
26-11-2017, 11:01 AM
The left foot is a peg.

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 11:02 AM
What happened to the sweeper system? I don't think anyone plays sweeper any more. A defender who couldn't run basically :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
26-11-2017, 11:03 AM
In the postage stamp of the onion bag - a powerful shot, right in the top corner. :agree:So what was top-left called? Was that the drunken postage stamp?

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

snooky
26-11-2017, 11:04 AM
It was wintergreen when I was a kid. Give you the edge in winter schools matches.

Dubbin was put on the old leather balls to protect them from water. Wintergreen is for muscles iirc.

Exposed nails from screwed -in studs used to be flesh rippers. Aye, those were the days when men were men. :greengrin

Dan Sarf
26-11-2017, 11:09 AM
Describing players as a number nine or number ten is irritating to me. These days shirts aren't numbered one to eleven, so it's meaningless. The player in question might be wearing forty. Secondly, pundits only describe players in these two positions by number. I've never heard anyone describe a player as a number four, for example.

But sometimes a number two.

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Dubbin was put on the old leather balls to protect them from water. Wintergreen is for muscles iirc.

Exposed nails from screwed -in studs used to be flesh rippers. Aye, those were the days when men were men. :greengrin

I didn't know that. I thought it was an ointment back in the day :greengrin

Aye, wintergreen was like Deep Heat cream. Rub into the legs in winter and stay roastie toastie all game.

where'stheslope
26-11-2017, 11:12 AM

That was Alan Anderson the Yams Pub in Infirmary Street!!!

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Strikers who liked playing with 'their back to goal' and lay the ball off. Mark Hughes, for example. This was a skill the poacher type striker did not possess.

ancient hibee
26-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Strolling midfield general.

Stramash.

snooky
26-11-2017, 11:17 AM
[/B]

But sometimes a number two.

A midfielder was a wing half or half back. However these were the players who wore 4 or 6. The other midfielders could be either 8 or 10 although they were called inside forwards.
From memory, I would describe the old outfield formation as 3-2-1-4. (Though some may disagree). :coffee:

Hibernia&Alba
26-11-2017, 11:21 AM
A midfielder was a wing half or half back. However these were the players who wore 4 or 6. The other midfielders could be either 8 or 10 although they were inside forwards.
From memory, I would describe the old outfield formation as 3-2-1-4. (Though some may disagree). :coffee:
My granddad used to talk in the old positions e.g. left half, inside forward, wing half, which left me lost; bit like when he used to convert decimal into old money :greengrin

snooky
26-11-2017, 11:25 AM
What happened to the bottle of water the trainer used to pour on any injury sustained by a player. It had magic qualities as they'd be up and running again after a few seconds. It worked on broken legs too. :wink:

Aubenas
26-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Going back a bit.......

The bustling centre forward
The tall inside man
The tricky wingman

On shirt numbers:
A top of the table Division 4 clash in late 60s - Southport v Stockport County.
Billy Bingham, managing Southport, sent his players out with the "wrong" shirt numbers. (In those days ye were numbered by position)

Instead of

2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9 10 11

it was something like

4 7

3 10 8

6 11 5 2 9

Stockport players had been given the numbers to mark - no chance they would have recognised most of the opposition - and were totally confused. 5-1 to Southport :cb

Simpler times.

Iain G
26-11-2017, 12:38 PM
Yes, I think full backs have berths too. Perhaps the modern fashion for full backs to play more like midfielders than defenders is just an attempt to standardise the lexicon.

But fullbacks leave their berths to run the channels these days 😁

tamig
26-11-2017, 12:44 PM
What happened to the bottle of water the trainer used to pour on any injury sustained by a player. It had magic qualities as they'd be up and running again after a few seconds. It worked on broken legs too. :wink:

It was the sponge that the water was applied to that was magic. 😀

WoreTheGreen
26-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Hugging the touchline

Pretty Boy
26-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Still one that is used but describing a goalkeeper as a 'good shot stopper' as though it's some high praise always seems daft to me. Surely it's just the basic requirement for even an amateur keeper?

WoreTheGreen
26-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Tanner baw players

snooky
26-11-2017, 01:20 PM
It was the sponge that the water was applied to that was magic. 😀

Aye, forgot about the magic sponge. :greengrin

jacomo
26-11-2017, 01:39 PM

WM

:agree:

Codheed
26-11-2017, 01:46 PM
Goalies were often beaten " all end's up "

snooky
26-11-2017, 02:08 PM
WM

:agree:

Dyslexia rules KO :wink:

ancient hibee
26-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Going back a bit.......

The bustling centre forward
The tall inside man
The tricky wingman

On shirt numbers:
A top of the table Division 4 clash in late 60s - Southport v Stockport County.
Billy Bingham, managing Southport, sent his players out with the "wrong" shirt numbers. (In those days ye were numbered by position)

Instead of

2 3

4 5 6

7 8 9 10 11

it was something like

4 7

3 10 8

6 11 5 2 9

Stockport players had been given the numbers to mark - no chance they would have recognised most of the opposition - and were totally confused. 5-1 to Southport :cb

Simpler times.

In 1979 the players were numbered 1-14 with 12 and 14 always being the subs.At the cup semi against Aberdeen Higgins and McLeod wore these numbers but started the game.There was a big row after the game but as ET pointed out there was nothing in the rules to prohibit it.It was a throwback to the first game against Roma when Joe Baker and Bobby Kinloch swapped jerseys and the Italians spent 90minutes kicking lumps out of Bobby.

IlDiavola
26-11-2017, 05:00 PM
A tanner baw player.

IlDiavola
26-11-2017, 05:01 PM
A flying winger.

IlDiavola
26-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Uses his 'left peg' for standing on.

andybev1
26-11-2017, 08:21 PM
The hatchet man. The guy who would be put on the opposition's best player to stop him, or, even better, get him stretchered off. Tommy Smith, Norman Hunter, Nobby Stiles, Graeme Souness, Ron Harris.

I always think of Terry hurlock when I think of that term.

HoboHarry
26-11-2017, 08:31 PM
The only berth I'm aware of is the wide one I give my wife.....

snooky
26-11-2017, 08:49 PM
The only berth I'm aware of is the wide one I give my wife.....

A wide berth? I'd never say that for fear of be accused of calling her fat.

jgl07
26-11-2017, 09:52 PM
Strolling midfield general.

Midfield maestro.

weecounty hibby
26-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Utility player. Usually meant they were pish in every position! We have had a few midfield "maestros" but anyone who remembers the old British Leyland cars will know what I mean!

snooky
27-11-2017, 10:45 AM
A lot of players were described by their size.
Big John McNamee, Wee Willie Henderson etc...

Newry Hibs
27-11-2017, 12:46 PM

Still very much in use in youth football with the same magic properties.

Geo_1875
27-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Uses his 'left peg' for standing on.

That's what was called the swinger.

Springbank
27-11-2017, 12:56 PM
3 pages in and I was happy to see my own personal favourite has not yet been highlighted...

In the 1980's it was fashionable for a team's talented midfielder, to be "handed a roving commission" by "the gaffer"

This decision by a boss has only 2 known outcomes - a three nil win (if the opposition can't plug the gaps and the talented boy runs wild) or a three nil defeat (if it backfires and we get overrun)

Post match interviews were compulsory so the talented midfield maestro (a Johnny Collins if you were lucky, or a Brian Hamilton if you weren't) could tell the press:

"the gaffer's basically handed me a roving commission the day, and telt me to run the show"

One Day Soon
27-11-2017, 12:56 PM
No more Supersubs? I guess that's what Impact Players now are.

And whatever happened to midfield generals? Maybe they're too busy getting involved in helping to park the bus in the modern game.

Do goalkeepers still have 'great hands'? Are they even 'goalies' any more? I know that they still regularly watch shots 'all the way'.

Iain G
27-11-2017, 01:10 PM
No more Supersubs? I guess that's what Impact Players now are.

And whatever happened to midfield generals? Maybe they're too busy getting involved in helping to park the bus in the modern game.

Do goalkeepers still have 'great hands'? Are they even 'goalies' any more? I know that they still regularly watch shots 'all the way'.

Back in the day when a goalie would bother to catch the ball!

Was listening to Open Mics on Saturday and Michael Stewart referred to the shy line :agree:

Kavinho
27-11-2017, 08:24 PM
Trawling the Leith san siro,SJM is our midfield general.

He is the very model of a modern major general

lapsedhibee
27-11-2017, 08:26 PM
A lot of players were described by their size.
Big John McNamee, Wee Willie Henderson etc...

Tiny Wharton.

Tubby Ogston. Though I didn't think he actually was that tubby - perhaps it was his real first name.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-11-2017, 11:12 PM
Why 2-0 and 2-0 are called similar scorelines when they are actually identical.

heretoday
27-11-2017, 11:48 PM
It's good to get back to "winning ways". :rolleyes:

snooky
27-11-2017, 11:52 PM
Back in the day when a goalie would bother to catch the ball!

Was listening to Open Mics on Saturday and Michael Stewart referred to the shy line :agree:

:agree: I picked up on that too. I haven't heard it called that for ages. That's why I mentioned earlier that shies were now throw-ins.

lapsedhibee
28-11-2017, 07:51 AM
:agree: I picked up on that too. I haven't heard it called that for ages. That's why I mentioned earlier that shies were now throw-ins.

Shy's a Scots word which Brussels prevents us from using during televised UEFA-compliant games. After Brexit it'll become the norm again, along with dirty beaches and choking smog.

Alfiembra
28-11-2017, 07:58 AM
Never understood "The goalie selt (sold) it" One of Arthur Montford's favourite expressions.

snooky
28-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Hard shots were called piledrivers.

Springbank
28-11-2017, 11:11 AM
Was there a team in the land in the early 80's who didn't have any and every one of the following players in their squad...

An uncompromising centre half, (dirty)
a no-nonsense full back, (even dirtier)
a luxury winger, and (complete blouse)
an auxiliary striker (big guy, usually a defender, who is lumped up front in the desperate last 5 mins of a game you're chasing)

and best of all, a bad boy striker who was always out to silence the boo-boys on the terraces?

IlDiavola
28-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Daisy cutter.

Between the 'sticks'.

Had him in his back pocket.

:confused:

basehibby
28-11-2017, 05:24 PM

Ah - that'd be the pivotal midfield anchor role - presumably anchoring the ship steady so as all the other midfielders can sleep soundly in their berths

IlDiavola
28-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Ah - that'd be the pivotal midfield anchor role - presumably anchoring the ship steady so as all the other midfielders can sleep soundly in their berths

The pivot was also used to describe a centre-half.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Cynical foul

WoreTheGreen
28-11-2017, 05:47 PM
The new signing has a great pedigree.its not crufts

basehibby
28-11-2017, 06:14 PM
My granddad used to talk in the old positions e.g. left half, inside forward, wing half, which left me lost; bit like when he used to convert decimal into old money :greengrin

It's interesting that the numbering system was based on the old 2-3 5 formation which was standard back in the days of the famous 5 - it went something like this:

11 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 7

------6 - 5 - 4 -----

-----3 - - - 2 - ----

---------1----------

That's why Full Backs are called Full backs - cos they are FULLY Back - and why the RB is No 2 and the LB no 3. Confusingly you also used to have three half backs - 4, 5 and 6 as well as inside forwards - 8 and 10. Also why right wingers tend to be no 7 and left wingers no 11.

I always found shirt numbers utterly baffling until I read a really cool book called "Inverting the Pyramid" (by Jonathan Wilson) which explains the evolution of tactics from 2-3-5 through 4-2-4 and 4-4-2 to the likes of 5-3-2 and Diamonds and Xmas Trees and such like. It explains how this happened piece meal with innovations like the inside forwards dropping back to help the midfield - or half backs sitting deep to evolve into Centre Backs - all while keeping the standard old shirt numbers. Well worth a read!

basehibby
28-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Full backs - when not nestled comfortably in their berths - are often to be seen marauding. They wouldn't be out of place on a pirate ship I reckon.

basehibby
28-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Centre Forwards are often instructed to hold the ball up - surprising they don't get booked more often for deliberate handball really

WoreTheGreen
28-11-2017, 06:40 PM
"He holds his own " in midfield .

snooky
28-11-2017, 06:52 PM
It's interesting that the numbering system was based on the old 2-3 5 formation which was standard back in the days of the famous 5 - it went something like this:

11 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 7

------6 - 5 - 4 -----

-----3 - - - 2 - ----

---------1----------

That's why Full Backs are called Full backs - cos they are FULLY Back - and why the RB is No 2 and the LB no 3. Confusingly you also used to have three half backs - 4, 5 and 6 as well as inside forwards - 8 and 10. Also why right wingers tend to be no 7 and left wingers no 11.

I always found shirt numbers utterly baffling until I read a really cool book called "Inverting the Pyramid" (by Jonathan Wilson) which explains the evolution of tactics from 2-3-5 through 4-2-4 and 4-4-2 to the likes of 5-3-2 and Diamonds and Xmas Trees and such like. It explains how this happened piece meal with innovations like the inside forwards dropping back to help the midfield - or half backs sitting deep to evolve into Centre Backs - all while keeping the standard old shirt numbers. Well worth a read!

Good summary, BH.

Hibernia&Alba
28-11-2017, 07:42 PM

11 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 7

------6 - 5 - 4 -----

-----3 - - - 2 - ----

---------1----------

:top marks

Great post which explains it well. So it was a much more attacking game, with only two defenders and five forwards. Bring it back! :agree:

Bishop Hibee
28-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Did Ron Atkinson not call a punt forward that ended up between the penalty box and touch line and didn’t go over the bye line “the reacher”? Seems to be termed “”the long diagonal “ these days.

Wags in the old North Stand used to shout “highest the day” when a ball was hoofed vertically often level with the top of the stand itself or “plan for bye kicks” in an ironic voice when a Hibs player shot miles wide or over the bar.

snooky
28-11-2017, 07:53 PM
:top marks

Great post which explains it well. So it was a much more attacking game, with only two defenders and five forwards. Bring it back! :agree:

Would nice to see an exhibition game between 2 SPL sides playing 'the old way' and with the old rules (passing back to the goalie & charging the goalie allowed, sliding tackles from the back/side/anywhere allowed, nae puillin' jerseys or arms around forwards, football like a wet Christmas pudding, lift overs at the turnstyles - the hale whack.

ancient hibee
28-11-2017, 09:20 PM

11 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 7 (tel:11 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 7)

------6 - 5 - 4 -----

-----3 - - - 2 - ----

---------1----------

European teams often had their Centre half wearing 3 instead of 5.This seemed to cause chaos on the pitch,the terracing and the newspapers.5 was never considered a half back in British Football.He was an out and out defender often further back than the full backs!

The Baldmans Comb
29-11-2017, 11:53 AM
One from the old school commentators and Archie MacPherson would describe every shot from outside the box as "lets fly".

Strachan "lets fly ....ooooh".
Johnstone to Dalglish who "Wooof lets fly".

Really bitter man these days.

NthCarolinaHibs
29-11-2017, 12:00 PM
One from the old school commentators and Archie MacPherson would describe every shot from outside the box as "lets fly".

Strachan "lets fly ....ooooh".
Johnstone to Dalglish who "Wooof lets fly".

Really bitter man these days.He has serious health issues to deal with.....

nonshinyfinish
29-11-2017, 02:27 PM
European teams often had their Centre half wearing 3 instead of 5.This seemed to cause chaos on the pitch,the terracing and the newspapers.5 was never considered a half back in British Football.He was an out and out defender often further back than the full backs!

The number 5 would have been a half back when proper 2-3-5 was used. However by the Famous Five era that was already old-fashioned and the majority of teams would be playing WM with, as you say, the centre half dropping between the full backs.

ancient hibee
29-11-2017, 03:56 PM
You’re right .Even my memory stops at the Famous Five.:greengrin