PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hamilton 25 November)

Jonnyboy
25-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Last week I felt we grabbed a defeat from the jaws of a draw and today I felt we grabbed a draw from the jaws of victory. Put another way, we dropped five points out of a possible six due to an inability to capitalise on chances made, to put teams away when we were very much in control and to stupidly forfeit possession and then fail to cut out a telling cross which led to a goal being conceded.
Enough of last week though. Today we were missing Gray through injury and Stokes due to a virus and that led to a recall for Steven Whittaker at right back and the welcome return of Dylan McGeouch in midfield. It was good too, to see Darren McGregor deemed fit enough to take a place on the bench although he was never called into action.

I felt we started quite slowly and for the first ten minutes or so we seemed to be trying to adapt to that abomination of a playing surface. To me it is scandalous that a top flight team is allowed to have such a playing surface but then I’m very much against artificial pitches and feel that football should always be played on grass. In that brief opening spell you could see Hibs players trying to anticipate where a bounce would take the ball as the surface meant it would not run or bounce true.

Other than a couple of long range efforts, neither keeper was really tested in the opening half hour. The busiest man on the park at that stage was referee Don Robertson who found he had to stop play on a regular basis for fouls being committed predominantly; it has to be said, by Accies players.

It was just on the half hour that Hibs opened the scoring when Brandon Barker took possession around ten yards inside his own half and went on a mazy run past numerous defenders, two of whom tried and failed to trip him up, before picking a pass to Simon Murray on the left side of the home penalty area. Murray took one touch and then lashed the ball home with Woods getting a touch but beaten by the ferocity of the strike.

By this time, two Accies players had been booked and it could have been more with Robertson content to dole out a finger wagging reprimand to both Docherty and Skondras. Hibs piled forward at every opportunity after that but had shots at goal blocked and Woods denied them with a couple of decent saves too, one from Boyle being exceptional after McGeouch had set the winger up and the other from McGinn whose pile driver was tipped over the bar.

At half time I remarked to my brother that Accies were playing the way Aberdeen played against us at Easter Road. Plenty of fouls and sharing them out so that the referee couldn’t yellow card anyone for persistent fouling. Quite how Greg Docherty avoided a yellow is beyond me as he had at least five fouls awarded against him in the opening forty five minutes.

Accies changed their formation for the second half but I felt that Hibs continued to dominate the ball in the first twenty minutes or so. Murray went close after a good cross from Barker and both Boyle and McGeouch had shots charged down. The longer the lead was only one goal the more hope it gave Accies and with around twenty minutes left, the home side scored. Once again it was a poor piece of play that gave them the chance when Marvin Bartley allowed Templeton to bully him off the ball. The ex-Hearts man then delivered a great ball into the box, splitting our central defenders and allowing Rojano to loop a header over the exposed Marciano and into the net. Only the staunchest of Accies fans must have felt it was deserved because Hibs had been totally in control of the game. With time running down, Whittaker fired wildly over the bar and Woods did very well to dive low to his left to thwart Lewis Stevenson scoring with a well hit drive.

During the whole second half, Don Robertson was again a busy man booking more Accies players including, and not before time, Greg Docherty while John McGinn was also cautioned. The final yellow card in the game was given to Tomas who cynically scythed down John McGinn about twenty yards from goal. It was, to my mind a professional foul and a red would not have been out of place. Red was the colour I was seeing as from the resultant free kick, Whittaker tapped the ball to McGinn who tried to create an angle for a shot only to be closed down by Accies defenders who had known exactly what Hibs were trying to do. Seconds left in the game, a chance to have a pop at goal from a decent position and Hibs send the Accies defender a telegram pointing out what they were about to try.

I listened to Neil Lennon’s post-match interview in the car on the way home and while I agree that Don Robertson wasn’t firm enough in dealing with the continual fouling of Hibs players I can’t help feeling that the gaffer has left himself open to a punishment from the authorities.

The players

Rocky – I honestly can’t remember him having a save of any note to make. My mate felt that Rocky’s positioning for the goal was poor but to my mind he was setting himself for a ‘conventional’ header at goal and so the looped effort, like Jason’s at Tynecastle, left the keeper flat footed.

Whitty – was solid enough and seemed to link well with Boyler on occasion but still prone to the odd missed tackle that allows opponents to get beyond him.

Efe – pipe and slippers time again as he basically strolled through the ninety minutes with some well-timed interceptions and a good few headed clearances.

Paul Hanlon – another who strolled through the game, Paul never looks flustered and his distribution is largely very good. If I had a gripe it would be that both he and Efe were close enough to Rojano to have beaten him in the jump at the goal.

Lewis – much better today and despite assertions to the contrary, he played a number of very good forward passes as well as having a good shot well saved by Woods.

Boyler – I wonder if he likes his new song? It was sung long and loud today and Martin deserves the acclaim as once again he had a very good game.

Dylan – the wee man was all over the park tonight but he must have left the field at the end of the game covered in bruises as the Accies players kicked him up and down the park. Despite that, he always made himself available for the pass and always looked to create going forward. There were two or three I might have picked out for today’s man of the match but Dylan wins it for me.

Marv – started really slowly and only after he’d been hacked down after about fifteen minutes did he seem to become more involved. It was very poor from him allowing wee David Templeton to bully him off the ball at the goal though. Neil said he felt it was a foul but I disagree as there is no way on this earth that a wee guy like Templeton should be able to outmuscle Marv.

SJM – all over the park again and always trying to drive us forward but for goodness sake John, if we get another free kick situation like the one today, please just shoot for goal!

Barker – a magnificent run and set up for Murray’s goal and a few other mazy runs too, but when he stands static around the half way line when Lewis is in possession, why oh why does he not run into space for the ball over the top?

Simon – I paid particular attention to Simon today and the number of times he made diagonal runs while signalling for the pas was unreal. Sadly for him, none of his team mates seemed to notice. Took his goal really well and deserved it for his tireless running.

Slivka – replaced Barker and had one or two good runs at the Accies defence but nothing came of them.

Oli – replaced Murray but had little or no time to have any impact.

Big Davy – sixty seconds here and there gives us no real chance to see what he’s capable of.

Referee – Don Robertson was far too lenient at times but otherwise he was ok which coming from me is high praise indeed!

Neil – obviously massively disappointed as we all are but although the ref was indeed too lenient I can’t agree that cost us the win. It was the familiar inability to put teams away when dominating the game that cost us two points and second place in the league.

The fans – once again out in great numbers but damn those singing section folks for endlessly belting out the Martin Boyle song and subjecting me to an ear worm!

greenlex
25-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Spot on John. Even right down to me moaning about Barker not using his pace more. I thought Marv was fouled in the build up to their goal. Also reckon the Stadium announcer deserved a mention. Comedy genius.

Mikey
25-11-2017, 07:44 PM
I listened to Neil Lennon’s post-match interview in the car on the way home and while I agree that Don Robertson wasn’t firm enough in dealing with the continual fouling of Hibs players I can’t help feeling that the gaffer has left himself open to a punishment from the authorities.

Cheers John.

Here's what Lennon said...........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42125167

Pretty Boy
25-11-2017, 07:46 PM
Interesting what you say about Murray and his running. I've just posted elsewhere about how frustrating I find our inability to make a killer pass when the strikers make those diagonal runs.

Mikey
25-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Interesting what you say about Murray and his running. I've just posted elsewhere about how frustrating I find our inability to make a killer pass when the strikers make those diagonal runs.

I wonder if Commons is the chap to spot those runs.

kaimendhibs
25-11-2017, 07:48 PM
Very good assessment. My opinion was it was a clear foul.on Marvin though and as much as I love Lewis his final ball was awful today.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
25-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Spot on John. Even right down to me moaning about Barker not using his pace more. I thought Marv was fouled in the build up to their goal. Also reckon the Stadium announcer deserved a mention. Comedy genius.

:agree: He was hilarious :faf:

lyonhibs
25-11-2017, 09:08 PM
No idea what he was like today, but last week Murray did a lot of "diagonal runs' with accompanying pointing which weren't necessarily the most intelligent run. Perpetual motion and intelligent movement are not the same thing.

Granted he had bog all service in general right enough.

Jonnyboy
25-11-2017, 09:18 PM
No idea what he was like today, but last week Murray did a lot of "diagonal runs' with accompanying pointing which weren't necessarily the most intelligent run. Perpetual motion and intelligent movement are not the same thing.

Granted he had bog all service in general right enough.

I know what you mean and I agree not every run is an intelligent one but today he made a good number that, had he been played in, may well have resulted in goals.

Hiber-nation
25-11-2017, 09:27 PM
:agree: He was hilarious :faf:

:agree:

"Number 9, Deivydas Meticulous" :greengrin

ajf
26-11-2017, 04:25 AM
LOL Barker, run past the full back and Stevenson will pass it over his head, good one .

superfurryhibby
26-11-2017, 08:24 AM
LOL Barker, run past the full back and Stevenson will pass it over his head, good one .

Quality observation pal, keep up the good work.

As for the rest, thanks for your insight John, always appreciated for those of us who cannae be bothered going to away games.

18Hibee75
26-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Spot on as ever. Wonder if Big Dave likes his new song too. :greengrin probably not.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

GreenCastle
26-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Really good write up as always - often puts some of the threads and nonsense on here into perspective.

We need to be more clinical - it’s been an issue for years and as we approach mad December with all these games I hope we take our chances in important games.

NAE NOOKIE
26-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Decent summing up of the match if what I saw on ALBA is anything to go by.

I don't agree it wasn't a foul on Bartley though, Templeton was able to 'muscle' him off the ball for two reasons ..1) Marv was off balance as he tried to play the ball and .. 2) I could muscle Marv off the ball if I charged in from 5 yards away and launched myself at him. If McGinn's shoulder charge in the first half was a foul then that certainly was.

I agree Lewis had a pretty decent game ... in fact twice he did very well to cover in the centre for Ambrose and Hanlon as Hamilton threatened. The only thing he got wrong was at the end when Hibs loaded the Hamilton box for a free kick which he took and hit the first man, leading to Hamilton breaking with half our team still up the park.

I totally agree about the free kick at the death ..... Its practically the last kick of the game FFS, just hit it and hope you get lucky!!!

All in all though our first half display was very good, its just a shame we seem incapable of turning our good play into goals ..... By the end of this seasons our corner count is going to be enormous, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a record for a Hibs season .... Unfortunately the number of goals resulting from those corners is going to be pitiful in comparison.

Finally I agree about plastic pitches .... Hibs clearly took a while to get to grips with it and it was frankly embarrassing for the Scottish game watching Dylan McGeouch trying to make a run with the ball at one point with the ball bouncing along in front of him and refusing to roll across the surface .... The one saving grace about plastic pitches according to their apologists is that you don't get holes and divots ... but if the surface makes the ball behave as if its a bloody Rugby ball as both Hamilton's and Killie's do then they shouldn't be allowed IMO.

greenlex
26-11-2017, 08:04 PM
Templeton didn’t muscle Marv at all. The boy that did challenge him fouled him. If he had used his body then fair enough but he uses his arm and barges him. Upon tv view as we were at the other end then the challenge on Dylan was a pen. Anywhere else on the park it’s a free kick. Don’t understand why it wasnt given.

Jonnyboy
26-11-2017, 09:17 PM
:agree:

"Number 9, Deivydas Meticulous" :greengrin

It's been a while since we had a meticulous player on the bench :greengrin

Strange comment which makes no sense whatsoever but I'm glad you were laughing out loud when you posted it as it might have helped cheer you up

Decent summing up of the match if what I saw on ALBA is anything to go by.

I don't agree it wasn't a foul on Bartley though, Templeton was able to 'muscle' him off the ball for two reasons ..1) Marv was off balance as he tried to play the ball and .. 2) I could muscle Marv off the ball if I charged in from 5 yards away and launched myself at him. If McGinn's shoulder charge in the first half was a foul then that certainly was.

I agree Lewis had a pretty decent game ... in fact twice he did very well to cover in the centre for Ambrose and Hanlon as Hamilton threatened. The only thing he got wrong was at the end when Hibs loaded the Hamilton box for a free kick which he took and hit the first man, leading to Hamilton breaking with half our team still up the park.

I totally agree about the free kick at the death ..... Its practically the last kick of the game FFS, just hit it and hope you get lucky!!!

All in all though our first half display was very good, its just a shame we seem incapable of turning our good play into goals ..... By the end of this seasons our corner count is going to be enormous, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a record for a Hibs season .... Unfortunately the number of goals resulting from those corners is going to be pitiful in comparison.

Finally I agree about plastic pitches .... Hibs clearly took a while to get to grips with it and it was frankly embarrassing for the Scottish game watching Dylan McGeouch trying to make a run with the ball at one point with the ball bouncing along in front of him and refusing to roll across the surface .... The one saving grace about plastic pitches according to their apologists is that you don't get holes and divots ... but if the surface makes the ball behave as if its a bloody Rugby ball as both Hamilton's and Killie's do then they shouldn't be allowed IMO.

I write these things as soon as I get home so it's an opinion piece based on what I can remember :greengrin Having watched the highlights I agree Marv was fouled :agree:

Templeton didn’t muscle Marv at all. The boy that did challenge him fouled him. If he had used his body then fair enough but he uses his arm and barges him. Upon tv view as we were at the other end then the challenge on Dylan was a pen. Anywhere else on the park it’s a free kick. Don’t understand why it wasnt given.

Yep, I was wrong naming Templeton as it was actually Imrie and it was indeed a foul :agree: