PDA

View Full Version : McGinn suspension

The Sundance Kid
19-11-2017, 07:10 PM
Apologies if posted elsewhere but I believe that John McGinn's booking yesterday means that he'll be suspended for our game away to Partick Thistle in a couple of weeks.

Obviously a blow but when you look at the games he could of potentially missed in December it maybe isn't the worst one for him to be suspended for.

ano hibby
19-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Yep I think he was looking to get booked for this reason. His yellow was a petulant late barge on Davidson.
Sensible IMO.

Sir David Gray
19-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Yep I reckon you are correct.

He's had 6 bookings so far in the league and that usually incurs a one match ban in the match than falls 14 days or more after the match when the sixth booking was picked up.

I'm_cabbaged
19-11-2017, 07:23 PM
Should’ve been booked before it to be honest. If that was the idea for deliberate yellow then fair do’s. However I think he’s beginning to take the bite off a few players and taking his eye off the game.

danhibees1875
19-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Maybe I'm being too negative but I'd rather have him for the thistle game and without him for Celtic.

PT isn't a foregone conclusion, we need a full strength squad for that.

Scouse Hibee
19-11-2017, 07:26 PM
A break would maybe do him good, having far too many poor performances for a guy of his ability. Seems to get an easier ride than most as his work rate is always good but loses posession far too often.

Hibbyradge
19-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Good booking, John 👍

Hibbyradge
19-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Maybe I'm being too negative but I'd rather have him for the thistle game and without him for Celtic.

You make a good point. My initial thought was that we need him more against Celtic etc than Thistle, but I'm not sure.

Losing to Celtic won't be a set back. Not beating PT would be.

houstonhibbee
19-11-2017, 11:23 PM

Got us a point last time

Wilson
19-11-2017, 11:28 PM
You make a good point. My initial thought was that we need him more against Celtic etc than Thistle, but I'm not sure.

As a fan it is easy to just write off the Celtic result. We are that used to the status quo.

However, Neil Lennon is a winner. He won't have written off the Celtic game like some of the fans have. He will want his best players available for it. It is the play of a man who wants to win every game. Some might disagree with the logic but I like it.

We should have enough to beat Patrick in any case. We just need a better all round team performance than we got this week.

wookie70
20-11-2017, 04:19 PM
As a fan it is easy to just write off the Celtic result. We are that used to the status quo.

However, Neil Lennon is a winner. He won't have written off the Celtic game like some of the fans have. He will want his best players available for it. It is the play of a man who wants to win every game. Some might disagree with the logic but I like it.

We should have enough to beat Patrick in any case. We just need a better all round team performance than we got this week.

This year in the League, at home, Neil Lennon is neither a winner or a loser. The only good thing is that Celtic will come at us as we haven't got a clue when teams sit in. Saying he wants to win every game is just nonsense, what manager doesn't. I won't write off any result as a Hibs fan. It is 11v11 and we are at home. We have every chance albeit Celtc are favourites.

calumhibee1
20-11-2017, 04:24 PM

And that’s exactly the way it should be. We’ve got more than enough to beat Partick and we’ve shown we can run Celtic close twice already neither at home. Well give them a game again and McGinn will play a huge part in that.

Firestarter
20-11-2017, 09:24 PM

He's a big game player with a shop window coming up. Much more influence he will have against Celtic imo.

Hibbyradge
20-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Will he still be with us for the cup tie...?

calumhibee1
21-11-2017, 06:16 AM
Will he still be with us for the cup tie...?

Absolutely no reason other than a gut instinct but I think he'll be kept until the summer. We're still in a great position to finish 2nd or 3rd, short of falling miles behind 3rd by the end of the January window I think we'll be keeping him for a push to finish in one of these spots.

Hibbyradge
21-11-2017, 08:59 AM
Absolutely no reason other than a gut instinct but I think he'll be kept until the summer. We're still in a great position to finish 2nd or 3rd, short of falling miles behind 3rd by the end of the January window I think we'll be keeping him for a push to finish in one of these spots.

I guess it depends on how you interpret his words, but to me, Lennon's saying that if the right offer comes in, we'll take it.

"Lennon knows the 23-year-old’s irresistible form for club and country will make it all the more difficult for Hibs to hold on to him in January."

But the Northern Irishman insists his prize asset won’t be flogged on the cheap.

“The more John plays and the form he shows then it’s inevitable there will be interest from elsewhere.

There will be a price to pay – we are in a good position in terms of finance where we don’t have to sell ourselves short.

For his own progress John might want to look elsewhere. But he is very happy here at the minute."

CropleyWasGod
21-11-2017, 09:19 AM
I guess it depends on how you interpret his words, but to me, Lennon's saying that if the right offer comes in, we'll take it.

"Lennon knows the 23-year-old’s irresistible form for club and country will make it all the more difficult for Hibs to hold on to him in January."

But the Northern Irishman insists his prize asset won’t be flogged on the cheap.

“The more John plays and the form he shows then it’s inevitable there will be interest from elsewhere.

There will be a price to pay – we are in a good position in terms of finance where we don’t have to sell ourselves short.

For his own progress John might want to look elsewhere. But he is very happy here at the minute."

LD said at the HSL AGM that "we know what we're doing in January. We're working on next summer's window already".

Whilst I don't necessarily think that means that "JM will definitely go" or "he definitely won't go", I reckon we are (to use one of her expressions) in control of the situation. We will have a price for JM, and won't sell for less. If we get that price, we will move for a player or players already identified, priced and (virtually) agreed with the seller.

It's that kind of strategy that really encourages me about this regime.

where'stheslope
21-11-2017, 10:52 AM
LD said at the HSL AGM that "we know what we're doing in January. We're working on next summer's window already".

Whilst I don't necessarily think that means that "JM will definitely go" or "he definitely won't go", I reckon we are (to use one of her expressions) in control of the situation. We will have a price for JM, and won't sell for less. If we get that price, we will move for a player or players already identified, priced and (virtually) agreed with the seller.

It's that kind of strategy that really encourages me about this regime.

Also, remember it has to be the right club for McGinn or he can say no, regardless of how high their offer or terms are!