PDA

View Full Version : American Visitor: Match Day Activities/Pregame/Things to Do

skeldin2
19-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Hello, my apologies if this topic has been covered a bunch before! I’ll be visiting Glasgow and Edinburgh with some buddies of mine, we’ll be in from Dec 25th to January 2nd. We’re planning on attending the Hibs vs. Kilmarnock match on December 30th and were wondering if there was anything in particular we should do on match day?

Any pregame/postgame bars we should hit up? Anything at all that you think we should know about gameday would be fantastic. If it helps, we’re in our mid-20s and are from Chicago. We’re all big sports fans and like to drink! Thanks in advance!

Sir David Gray
19-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Hello, my apologies if this topic has been covered a bunch before! I’ll be visiting Glasgow and Edinburgh with some buddies of mine, we’ll be in from Dec 25th to January 2nd. We’re planning on attending the Hibs vs. Kilmarnock match on December 30th and were wondering if there was anything in particular we should do on match day?

Any pregame/postgame bars we should hit up? Anything at all that you think we should know about gameday would be fantastic. If it helps, we’re in our mid-20s and are from Chicago. We’re all big sports fans and like to drink! Thanks in advance!

You have a wide range of pubs to choose from all within a 10 minute walking distance of Easter Road.

I would encourage you to get there quite early though as they fill up fast. I would say no later than around 1pm.

hibbymac
19-11-2017, 08:07 PM

Welcome :aok:

The Hibs supporters club is worth a try, cheap drink, food available, opens around 11am, starts getting busy 12 midday, its usually members only on match day but if you emailed them I'm sure you'll be made welcome. :flag:

Link here - http://hibsclub.co.uk

Pretty Boy
19-11-2017, 08:12 PM
Welcome to the board.

There are a lot of bars around Easter Road that will be busy on match day. Most of them are nothing fancy and are just good old fashioned Scottish pubs that cater to the football crowds and locals. A few that will be busy with Hibs fans are Tamsons, the Iona, The Office and The Four In Hand on Easter Road itself. You also have the Mash Tun which is a different style and offers food and a wider range of beers which is also on Easter Road. Slightly further afield there is Robbies, The Windsor, and The Harp & Castle on Leith Walk, these again are quite traditional pubs and about 10 minutes walk from the stadium. About the same distance away are bars like The Tourmelet and Joseph Pearces, both are again a different style of bar and at least one of them doesn't allow football colours. Get down early on, try a few of them and find somewhere you like would be my advice.

skeldin2
19-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Thank you all, appreciate the help! Really looking forward to it!

hibby6270
20-11-2017, 12:02 AM
You arrive on Dec 25th?
Are your mates called Dancer, Prancer, Donner & Blitzen?
You’re not Santa are you?
:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Seriously though, where you end up just before the game might depend on where you are staying. What hotel/guest house are you at? Might allow us to give you a pub crawl itinerary moving towards Easter Road or more definite pubs to head for if you’re happy just going to one or two pubs.

cabbageandribs1875
20-11-2017, 01:48 AM
whenever i see Chicago mentioned i always think of Al & Peggy Bundy.....and of course the Adorable Kelly :) :drool:

NAE NOOKIE
20-11-2017, 07:54 AM
A few helpful phrases which will help you fit in.

I went 'raj' ..... I got very angry
He / She is a 'raj' ..... A person to be avoided, almost certainly violent
That's totally 'shan' ..... not at all good, in fact very very bad
That was 'Barry' ..... very very good
Its 'Baltic' .... its very very cold

Inside the stadium:

How the 'expletive' was that 'expletive' offside !!!
Oh for 'expletive' sake, how the 'expletive' could he miss the 'expletive' goal from there !!!
£5 for a pie and a beefy drink???
Did you see that challenge? ... he 'expletive' shat it.
There are many more ... you can practice with the following short exercise:

I'm gonna go raj, £5 for a pie and a beefy drink is just shan, but I'll still buy them because its Baltic in here and the last pie I had at a football match was Barry.

Enjoy the game :greengrin

One Day Soon
20-11-2017, 09:48 AM
A few helpful phrases which will help you fit in.

I went 'raj' ..... I got very angry
He / She is a 'raj' ..... A person to be avoided, almost certainly violent
That's totally 'shan' ..... not at all good, in fact very very bad
That was 'Barry' ..... very very good
Its 'Baltic' .... its very very cold

Inside the stadium:

How the 'expletive' was that 'expletive' offside !!!
Oh for 'expletive' sake, how the 'expletive' could he miss the 'expletive' goal from there !!!
£5 for a pie and a beefy drink???
Did you see that challenge? ... he 'expletive' shat it.
There are many more ... you can practice with the following short exercise:

I'm gonna go raj, £5 for a pie and a beefy drink is just shan, but I'll still buy them because its Baltic in here and the last pie I had at a football match was Barry.

Enjoy the game :greengrin

A 'beefy drink'?

Jack Hackett
20-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Bovril... Google it. :greengrin

Sir David Gray
20-11-2017, 09:50 AM
A 'beefy drink'?

Bovril?

NAE NOOKIE
20-11-2017, 08:23 PM
A 'beefy drink'?

You must be one of the prawn sandwich brigade :greengrin

Deansy
20-11-2017, 11:14 PM

As you're coming Christmas-New Year week, I'd switch from 'Like to drink' to 'Have to drink 24/7' NOW to help you and your buddies acclimatise !. Aside from that - have a ball !!

1875STEVE
20-11-2017, 11:49 PM
We seem to be getting a lot of American visitors lately. :thumbsup:

skeldin2
20-11-2017, 11:58 PM
As you're coming Christmas-New Year week, I'd switch from 'Like to drink' to 'Have to drink 24/7' NOW to help you and your buddies acclimatise !. Aside from that - have a ball !!

Shouldn’t be a problem! Can’t wait for it. We’ll be staying at the Premier Inn on the Royal Mile.

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2017, 12:29 AM
Shouldn’t be a problem! Can’t wait for it. We’ll be staying at the Premier Inn on the Royal Mile.

You'll be able to jump on the no.300 bus on The Royal Mile that takes in the length of Easter Road as part of its route.

NAE NOOKIE
21-11-2017, 12:35 AM
You'll be able to jump on the no.300 bus on The Royal Mile that takes in the length of Easter Road as part of its route.

Don't you mean the 35 mate?

Tornadoes70
21-11-2017, 12:56 AM

Maybe Hutchie's thinking about about the 200 or 300 us Hi bees that used to get attacked coming out onto Gorgie Road under the bridge there by the maroon pigs. Mind you we always gave as good as we got.

Firestarter
21-11-2017, 01:18 AM

No the 300 is the new Airport link bus that goes to ocean terminal from Airport and back (I think) 35 goes a completely different way now.

tanfield
21-11-2017, 05:26 AM
No the 300 is the new Airport link bus that goes to ocean terminal from Airport and back (I think) 35 goes a completely different way now.

The 35 doesn't run anymore IIRC. The 300 effectively is its replacement.

theonlywayisup
21-11-2017, 06:00 AM

It might be advisable reminding your 'buddies' not to wear any colours that look anything like maroon. It's a bogging colour, I'm sure that you'll admit.

:lolyam:

Better still, pop down to the Hibs shop at Easter Road Stadium early and buy yourself some Hibernian merchandise.

NAE NOOKIE
21-11-2017, 09:55 AM

Ah .. thanks folks, haven't been on the 35 since the summer, wasn't aware it had been replaced.

Pretty Boy
21-11-2017, 10:01 AM
We seem to be getting a lot of American visitors lately. :thumbsup:

Undoubtedly because we are by far and away the coolest football club on the planet.

.Sean.
21-11-2017, 10:07 AM
If you're in The Office feel free to introduce yourselves and get a round in :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
21-11-2017, 12:41 PM

Correct.

Nameless
21-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Undoubtedly because we are by far and away the coolest football club on the planet.I blame the Hipster element of our support (you know who you are)! It used to be painful to follow Hibs, now it's all offbeat and alternative, almost trendy - bloody glory hunters... I miss the Williamson era. If Hibs ever start selling drinkable coffee, I'm finished!!

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

WHAM
21-11-2017, 09:15 PM

Hi there mate.

Where about in Chicago you guys from? Top city. My old man has been living in Elgin IL for the last 6/7 years so I was over there in June. Went to the Cubs-Padres match at Wrigley and had a few pre match drinks in the Cubby Bear etc. Good sing song!

Like others have mentioned we aren’t short of places to drink near our stadium either. Nothing quite the same size of the Cubby Bear and unfortunately we are not allowed to drink alcohol inside our stadiums....apparently football fans can’t be trusted in Scotland 😬...but you can’t go wrong staying on Easter Road or Leith Walk.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you see the right result 👍🏼

skeldin2
24-11-2017, 04:22 PM
Hi there mate.

Where about in Chicago you guys from? Top city. My old man has been living in Elgin IL for the last 6/7 years so I was over there in June. Went to the Cubs-Padres match at Wrigley and had a few pre match drinks in the Cubby Bear etc. Good sing song!

Like others have mentioned we aren’t short of places to drink near our stadium either. Nothing quite the same size of the Cubby Bear and unfortunately we are not allowed to drink alcohol inside our stadiums....apparently football fans can’t be trusted in Scotland 😬...but you can’t go wrong staying on Easter Road or Leith Walk.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you see the right result 👍🏼

Born and raised in Oak Park-River Forest, about a 15 minute drive from the Loop and 45 minutes away from Elgin. We’re mostly known for being the hometown of Ernest Hemingway and Frank Lloyd Wright. Currently reside in Champaign, IL though, the home of the University of Illinois Fighting Illini. Appreciate the insight! Any idea when single-match tickets are expected to go on-sale?

NYHibby
24-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Born and raised in Oak Park-River Forest, about a 15 minute drive from the Loop and 45 minutes away from Elgin. We’re mostly known for being the hometown of Ernest Hemingway and Frank Lloyd Wright. Currently reside in Champaign, IL though, the home of the University of Illinois Fighting Illini. Appreciate the insight! Any idea when single-match tickets are expected to go on-sale?

That's rather unfortunate.

- An American poster

skeldin2
24-11-2017, 07:37 PM
That's rather unfortunate.

- An American poster

Have had some tough years in both revenue sports haha, but I think the future’s bright for both!

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-11-2017, 10:06 PM

Now

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/hibernianfc/Events

Callum7
24-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Now

https://www.eticketing.co.uk/hibernianfc/Events

Only available up to Ross Coutny game. I will imagine ths is because half- season tickets are active from Killie.

Sir David Gray
24-11-2017, 10:53 PM
Only available up to Ross Coutny game. I will imagine ths is because half- season tickets are active from Killie.

They are.

Northernhibee
24-11-2017, 11:11 PM

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the game, nothing quite like Scottish fitba in the cold, long as you have a pie and bovril you'll be fine!

Are you aware of our recent history and our Scottish cup win? We won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years in 2016 with a last minute winner in the cup final. It added thousands to our attendances overnight and was probably the greatest day in the history of our club - there's been a real feel good buzz about the place since then so it's a great time to visit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrtYbJqenhA

Sir David Gray
24-11-2017, 11:15 PM
Welcome! Hope you enjoy the game, nothing quite like Scottish fitba in the cold, long as you have a pie and bovril you'll be fine!

Are you aware of our recent history and our Scottish cup win? We won the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years in 2016 with a last minute winner in the cup final. It added thousands to our attendances overnight and was probably the greatest day in the history of our club - there's been a real feel good buzz about the place since then so it's a great time to visit.

That's the tears starting again.

Best video on the internet.

canuckhibee
24-11-2017, 11:19 PM
Good choice for a day out - should give you guys a great feel for Scottish culture - Football (national sport), Alcohol (national pastime) and Scotch Pie (national dish). Have a great time in one of the best cities ever.

lord bunberry
24-11-2017, 11:27 PM

I’d give you everything I’ve got to have that feeling I had on the Sunday as I watched that bus come down Leith Walk. Calmness, contentment, happiness, pride and every other good emotion rolled into one. A beautiful weekend, thank you hibs.