PDA

View Full Version : Saints Goals

wookie70
19-11-2017, 07:19 PM
Yesterday was a bad day at the office all round but watching the highlights the biggest difference between Hibs and Saints was movement and commitment.

Take a look at when Saints smell a chance of a goal, they flood forward and end up outnumbering us at the back. Dylan was pathetic at the first goal and not much better at the second. We are jogging when we need to be sprinting and we really need to start marking men and taking responsibility if we want to stay up towards the top of the league. Both goals we conceded yesterday were complete shockers but the second should be made into a video on how not to defend. Giving the ball away in an important area at an important time, slipping, not fouling, not tracking, not marking, no courage in making an attempted block, positioning, weak goal keeping etc. It pretty much had it all.

I keep hearing we are a very fit team but from what I can see we very often lack movement, particularly going forward. When Boyle does make a run it is quite usual for a single striker to be in the box against two or three defenders. No wonder our crossing looks poor as there is hardly anyone to hit with a cross. Saints were playing from deeper but when they had the chance to get forward they got forward in far bigger numbers than we usually do. Any cross into the box usually saw one of their players at least making a challenge. This lack of movement is most obvious at throw ins, how long before that is sorted out.

Both goals also saw some less than convincing goal keeping. To be fair to Rocky he did make one great save yesterday but he looked shaky throughout. I doubt it helps having different personnel and different formations on an almost game by game basis and it worries me that after so many games I don't think our manager knows what our strongest team and formation is.

truehibernian
19-11-2017, 07:24 PM
We certainly needs goals from midfield and players who can commit themselves to getting into the box - noticed this at the derby that Murray in particular got himself into the box only to look up and have no one to hit. Hopefully a fit Danny Swanson can fill that 'void', but you're looking for SJM, McGeouch and company to get into scoring positions too.

Think Lewis Morgan would be a terrific signing if we could be in with a sniff of getting him.

Captain Trips
19-11-2017, 08:08 PM
We have had some great players over the last 20years but for me if I could use a time machine it would be Pat McGinlay. Goals from midfield are absolutely vital and he delivered that. If we can get somebody to hit 9 or 10 that would be good.

Sammy7nil
20-11-2017, 07:14 PM
I am not having a go at any single player but for me Porteous was terrible for the first caught under the ball he has to learn from that. Rocky was very rocky for both goals

Hibbyradge
20-11-2017, 07:21 PM
They had 2 banks of 4 against us everytime we had the ball.

We played 2 wingers.

AK86
20-11-2017, 07:35 PM
I am not having a go at any single player but for me Porteous was terrible for the first caught under the ball he has to learn from that. Rocky was very rocky for both goals
So by not having a go at a single player, you singled out a player!! Very good.
He also gave away possession for the 2nd, but that's young players for you, they tend to make mistakes.

Lang Toun hibby
20-11-2017, 07:40 PM

I agree that Porteous should have back tracked and stoppedthe header being put across. The only thing is he was also watching the StJohnstone player in front of him who wasn’t being covered. The keeper shouldhave been off his line and cleared it. However the scorer advanced into the boxwith no runner from Hibs. Also the marking at corners and crosses is very poor.What we don’t have is a leader organising the team at the back. Our corners arevery poor as well as non movement on our throw ins. The tempo of gettingforward quicker is the secret. They played very well as far as I am concernedas during the match I noticed they had 4or 5 players baking into our box a fair number of times. We do not do this. I think ourmanagement team are struggling with formation and use of subs.

easty
20-11-2017, 07:49 PM
I don't think Rocky can get to the first one before Davidson.

Firestarter
20-11-2017, 07:49 PM
They had 2 banks of 4 against us everytime we had the ball.

We played 2 wingers.

Agree. A poster nailed it before the start of game and like Hamilton it was lost because of that.

Sammy7nil
20-11-2017, 07:54 PM
He also gave away possession for the 2nd, but that's young players for you, they tend to make mistakes.

TBF I singled out two :greengrin

greenlex
20-11-2017, 07:59 PM

He slipped at the second but there was still a bit of defending that could have and should have been done after that.

1van Sprou7e
20-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Watching it again surely Efe is at fault for the first goal, miles out of position on the left

Blaster
20-11-2017, 08:22 PM
Watching it again surely Efe is at fault for the first goal, miles out of position on the left

He is and Marv goes mad at him afterwards

hibsboy69
20-11-2017, 08:35 PM
Only watched it once, but for the second goal my initial reaction was that Lewis could've done more to prevent the cross

That however was preceded by a mistake from Porteous and a slip from Dylan

Comedy of errors sadly :boo hoo:

crash
20-11-2017, 08:37 PM
All the St. Johnstone attacks came down the same side targetting Stevenson who never stopped anything. If you look at the highlights every chance conceded comes from our left back position, scored 2 and could have been more.This also happened in the previous game against Dundee, and Aberdeen before that.

1van Sprou7e
20-11-2017, 08:43 PM
All the St. Johnstone attacks came down the same side targetting Stevenson who never stopped anything. If you look at the highlights every chance conceded comes from our left back position, scored 2 and could have been more.This also happened in the previous game against Dundee, and Aberdeen before that.

Missed the Aberdeen game but think you've got a point here

Love Louie but he is not always particularly solid defensively

Danderhall Hibs
20-11-2017, 08:47 PM

Got done by O’Halloran for the winner.

canuckhibee
20-11-2017, 09:43 PM

Agree. Stevenson is the weak link at present - he must stop that ball coming into the box at all costs.

Bishop Hibee
20-11-2017, 10:11 PM
Back to the OP’s point I totally agree. The thing is, McGinn in particular has the ability to get into the box and score. He didn’t do it enough under Stubbs and doesn’t now either. We need to get players in the box particularly at home. Fraser Murray looks like that sort of player and he’ll be looking to start from next season especially with McGinn likely away and possibly McGeoch.

Lang Toun hibby
20-11-2017, 10:20 PM
Agree. Stevenson is the weak link at present - he must stop that ball coming into the box at all costs.

Straight from their kick off after we scored theypunted the ball straight at Stevenson. He headed it outof play and from their Porteous miskicked however O’Halloran then ran atStevenson and got the cross in, He did this on two previous occasions. Heshould have been taken out! We don’t do this enough when teams are breaking orcounter attacking. Notice they did it when needed e.g. Boyle's run late on.

wookie70
20-11-2017, 10:57 PM
Straight from their kick off after we scored theypunted the ball straight at Stevenson. He headed it outof play and from their Porteous miskicked however O’Halloran then ran atStevenson and got the cross in, He did this on two previous occasions. Heshould have been taken out! We don’t do this enough when teams are breaking orcounter attacking. Notice they did it when needed e.g. Boyle's run late on.

We had a throw in after the throw in you are talking about and a wee bit of possession. Stevenson should have done better with the cross leading to the 2nd but there are probably 6 or 7 mistakes in that attack. McGeouch could possibly have helped Stevenson if he busted a gut but he jogged back, just like he did for the 1st. McGinn could have taken Craig out before the ball went wide but he had already picked up another stupid booking. No doubt Lewis struggles with tricky, pacy wingers but what fullback doesn't. Since Daz has been injured we lack something in the middle of defence. Every ball into the box is dangerous at the moment

wookie70
20-11-2017, 11:02 PM
Back to the OP’s point I totally agree. The thing is, McGinn in particular has the ability to get into the box and score. He didn’t do it enough under Stubbs and doesn’t now either. We need to get players in the box particularly at home. Fraser Murray looks like that sort of player and he’ll be looking to start from next season especially with McGinn likely away and possibly McGeoch.

I have been surprised we haven't seen more of Fraser Murray. We desperately need goals from midfield and he looks to have that ability. Apart from that he actually moves around which we are missing. I still think Swanson is the missing link despite his poorish start. He gets in between the lines and constantly changes position. We are far too predictable and it really shows against the teams that sit in. Everyone moans about the speed of pass but for me that comes from the fact no-one is moving.

SChibs
21-11-2017, 06:44 AM
Got done by O’Halloran for the winner.

To be fair to Stevenson here o'halloran has went past pretty much every full back he's been up against this season. He's their best player and one of the fastest in the league.

southern hibby
21-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Goals from the back post have been our undoing this season and yet again we allowed this to happen. For me this needs sorted asap. We just don't seem to win the ball at the back post.

GGTTH

Brooster
21-11-2017, 08:05 AM
Stevenson is costing us points. Needs replaced.

J-C
21-11-2017, 09:08 AM

Stevenson had zero help from Barker who apart from a few wee tricky runs does SFA to help out his left back by getting back and defending, he stood and watched their wingback run past him umpteen times, meaning Stevenson had a 2 on 1 quite a lot.

Stevenson is costing us points. Needs replaced.

You add nothing to this debate apart from your usual hating Stevenson post, very tiring. :rolleyes:

ajf
21-11-2017, 11:50 AM
Stevenson offers very little going forward and is proving to be dodgy as a defender too

Blaster
21-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Stevenson offers very little going forward and is proving to be dodgy as a defender too

I would argue he’s performed better than our two right backs this season. Strangely no comments about his performances in the 4 games we won where he was solid

hibbysam
21-11-2017, 12:37 PM
I would say the second goal stemmed from Porteous being young and inexperienced and an experienced player would have took the player and the booking on half way after he slipped to stop the attack continuing. He’s a very good player and these ‘streetwise’ traits will come with experience.

NAE NOOKIE
21-11-2017, 01:09 PM
We certainly needs goals from midfield and players who can commit themselves to getting into the box - noticed this at the derby that Murray in particular got himself into the box only to look up and have no one to hit. Hopefully a fit Danny Swanson can fill that 'void', but you're looking for SJM, McGeouch and company to get into scoring positions too.

Think Lewis Morgan would be a terrific signing if we could be in with a sniff of getting him.

Absolutely this .... I have banged on about our inability to get midfielders into the box literally for years, but in our current situation who is that supposed to be? You have two forwards who are naturally going to be covered and two wingers who are obviously not going to be arriving into the 18 yard box in a central position, so that leaves you with McGinn and Bartley ..... Bartley, bless him, would need a months psychiatric care if he ventured into the final 3rd and McGinn seems to play so deep he needs to run 30 yards to reach the box, though to be fair he scored a cracker against Killie with exactly the type of run we are talking about.

When you play with two wingers its not just desirable to get midfielders making late runs into the box, its vital ... the number of times Barker or Boyle do get to the edge of the box with no cutback available is disappointing. But even with that you have to question the movement of our forwards.
I've said it a million times, but years ago I watched Hibs under 12s forwards being coached on what to do when a winger or wingback gets into position to put the ball into the box ... the mantra repeated time after time by the coaches was one makes a near post run and the other drops back to the penalty spot to make an angle, I doubt that part of the coaching manual has gone out of date since then, but how often do our first team forwards do this? ..... not that often when you look at the number of times Boyle, Barker, Gray or Stevenson get into a crossing position with nothing to aim at.

ajf
21-11-2017, 06:01 PM
I would argue he’s performed better than our two right backs this season. Strangely no comments about his performances in the 4 games we won where he was solid

His performance against Dundee was poor and was at fault for their goal

MWHIBBIES
21-11-2017, 06:12 PM
His performance against Dundee was poor and was at fault for their goalHe let a cross into the box. More than that has to happen for us to lose a goal.

He was very good 2nd half.

ancient hibee
21-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Absolutely this .... I have banged on about our inability to get midfielders into the box literally for years, but in our current situation who is that supposed to be? You have two forwards who are naturally going to be covered and two wingers who are obviously not going to be arriving into the 18 yard box in a central position, so that leaves you with McGinn and Bartley ..... Bartley, bless him, would need a months psychiatric care if he ventured into the final 3rd and McGinn seems to play so deep he needs to run 30 yards to reach the box, though to be fair he scored a cracker against Killie with exactly the type of run we are talking about.

When you play with two wingers its not just desirable to get midfielders making late runs into the box, its vital ... the number of times Barker or Boyle do get to the edge of the box with no cutback available is disappointing. But even with that you have to question the movement of our forwards.
I've said it a million times, but years ago I watched Hibs under 12s forwards being coached on what to do when a winger or wingback gets into position to put the ball into the box ... the mantra repeated time after time by the coaches was one makes a near post run and the other drops back to the penalty spot to make an angle, I doubt that part of the coaching manual has gone out of date since then, but how often do our first team forwards do this? ..... not that often when you look at the number of times Boyle, Barker, Gray or Stevenson get into a crossing position with nothing to aim at.
Up to a point.When one winger has the ball the other one should be in the box.Our great wingers of the past didn’t get all their goals by staying wide allthe time.

angus hibby
21-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Not that it matters with the goal coming so late, but McLean takes off his shirt (a bookable offence),then jumps into the crowd (bookable offence).

With him only receiving a booking, he’s technically got off with one of these.... Could/should he have booked for both and shown red?!

SChibs
21-11-2017, 07:24 PM

What you should have with 2 wingers is one crossing in for the 2 strikers with the other winger at the back post for a tap in. But this never seems to happen with us

truehibernian
21-11-2017, 07:52 PM
What you should have with 2 wingers is one crossing in for the 2 strikers with the other winger at the back post for a tap in. But this never seems to happen with us

True to an extent, and you also have to be able to deliver accurate crosses - far too often the final ball is lacking. Another 'problem' is the tendency for Stokes for drop deeper and play sometimes as a '10' or drift out to the left and cut in..........so you lose a striker in a sense.

Where we've been very effective, particularly in derbies, is wide men occupying and taking on full backs meaning back fours are stretched. That's where we should really be capitalising and having the likes of SJM and McGeouch arriving at the penalty spot area.

I like Barker but I'm looking for a bit more from him out wide. Boyle isn't a natural winger but his incredible pace would be wasted elsewhere on the pitch for me - he's one of our most improved players, one I would hate to lose as he is progressing season on season.

Really hoping Danny Swanson gets fit, physically and mentally, and gets a good run of games - I think he will make a massive difference to chances created and scored :aok:.

brog
21-11-2017, 09:28 PM
I remain unconvinced that we need Marv in midfield in every game. We probably do if we play with 2 wingers but if we also play 2 strikers then effectively we've really only got SJM to provide the midfield creativity. Personally i believe although Barker promises great things he doesn't deliver enough. I'd like to see us change things around a bit with a very attacking diamond as an option. I would have Dylan at the base with a 3 of SJM, Boyle & Swanson/F Murray then Stokes at top of diamond & Simon upfront. I'm not saying to do it every game but we need to try something different at home.

Fergus52
21-11-2017, 09:59 PM
I have been surprised we haven't seen more of Fraser Murray. We desperately need goals from midfield and he looks to have that ability. Apart from that he actually moves around which we are missing. I still think Swanson is the missing link despite his poorish start. He gets in between the lines and constantly changes position. We are far too predictable and it really shows against the teams that sit in. Everyone moans about the speed of pass but for me that comes from the fact no-one is moving.

spot on, our lack of movement at times really hinders our play.

It was pretty bad against away at Kilmarnock, but I was happy to give them the benefit of the doubt and put it down to fatigue after a tough run of games.