PDA

View Full Version : Thomson

JimBHibees
18-11-2017, 06:42 PM
How could Boyle be offside when Thomson had played the ball forward from a square pass.

Awful ref as per. Didn't think it was a pen the one we got, but Hanlon one definitely was headlock.

cleanyman
18-11-2017, 06:44 PM
It's offside

Thecat23
18-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Can’t believe I’m saying this but he was better than most of the refs we have had at ER this season.

JohnM1875
18-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Can’t believe I’m saying this but he was better than most of the refs we have had at ER this season.

Actually agree. Thought he was pretty balanced. We got away with just as much as St Johnstone.

JimBHibees
18-11-2017, 06:45 PM
It's offside

Not if the ref plays it forward.

cleanyman
18-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Not if the ref plays it forward.

It is

Billychaotic182
18-11-2017, 06:47 PM
We 110% should have had a penalty in the first half. The Boy pretty much took Hanlons top off.

Golden Bear
18-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Thomson was ok today, for once we can't blame him for our own teams failings.

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Not if the ref plays it forward.He was presumably in an offside position when the ball was played across. Thomson's intervention was irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

theonlywayisup
18-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Thomson wasn't the reason we lost today, but he's up there with the most incompetent refs in Scotland.

How can he stand above a player who's off the pitch and allow him to roll onto the pitch to waste time? I'd be saying "get the hell of my pitch".

Then after Hibs scored the penalty, how can he not try and stop the blatent time wasting by the St. J players. No attempt to try and get play re-started quickly.

JimBHibees
18-11-2017, 06:57 PM
It is

How

Golden Bear
18-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Thomson wasn't the reason we lost today, but he's up there with the most incompetent refs in Scotland.

How can he stand above a player who's off the pitch and allow him to roll onto the pitch to waste time? I'd be saying "get the hell of my pitch".

Then after Hibs scored the penalty, how can he not try and stop the blatent time wasting by the St. J players. No attempt to try and get play re-started quickly.

True, true and true ! But overall I thought he was ok today. Never ever thought I'd say that, it's worrying in fact.😁

andy1875
18-11-2017, 07:01 PM
I thought the linesmen were rank today. As they were against Dundee as well.

Scottish officials are just not very good. Nothing much else to say really!

JimBHibees
18-11-2017, 07:08 PM
He was presumably in an offside position when the ball was played across. Thomson's intervention was irrelevant.

The ball has to be played forward for him to be offside.

Onceinawhile
18-11-2017, 07:12 PM
Only thing that annoyed me was rocky complained about a corner that was given, but did so by standing in his box with his hands out. Of course the ref has a word with him.

Then we get a corner and their keeper sprints out to the lion shouting at him and... nothing.

Saturday Boy
18-11-2017, 07:16 PM
He was presumably in an offside position when the ball was played across. Thomson's intervention was irrelevant.

Are you not thinking of golf, where he’s a natural hazard, or something 😉

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Are you not thinking of golf, where he’s a natural hazard, or something [emoji6]I've never really thought of Thomson as natural. A hazard, sure....

Tbh, by that time all my faculties had shut down through cold.... so wtf knows?

snooky
18-11-2017, 07:37 PM
I'm one of CT's biggest critics however, apart from a couple of mi or things I thought he did okay today.
Btw, you no idea how hard it is for me to say that.

kaimendhibs
18-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Only thing that annoyed me was rocky complained about a corner that was given, but did so by standing in his box with his hands out. Of course the ref has a word with him.

Then we get a corner and their keeper sprints out to the lion shouting at him and... nothing.That was never ever a corner

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
18-11-2017, 08:01 PM
That was never ever a corner

I know, but that's not his fault, it's the fault of the lino.

wookie70
18-11-2017, 08:07 PM
The ball has to be played forward for him to be offside.

I think the ball has to go forward. Thomson is part of the field of play so although it may not have started off a forward pass it ended up that way and Boyle was offside. Can't say I thought that at the game but when I had thought about it pretty sure it was a good decision. I thought Thomson was one of teh better refs I have seen this season and I can't stand him. The only issue I had with him was not booking the dive in the first half and not dealing with St Js time wasting particularly after we scored. He let the teams go at it and gave as few fouls as possible. Will McGinn's booking mean he is suspended for one of the big games coming up

CropleyWasGod
18-11-2017, 08:19 PM
The ball has to be played forward for him to be offside.It did go forward, though. Albeit it was deflected by CT. In that respect it's no different to it being taken by a massive gust of wind, or an invisible alien.

Tomsk
18-11-2017, 08:51 PM
And it was a penalty. Clear movement of hands towards the ball blocking Boyle's shot.

Gatecrasher
18-11-2017, 08:53 PM
We should have had a penalty when the SJ player had Hanlon in a headlock.

JimBHibees
18-11-2017, 08:56 PM
We should have had a penalty when the SJ player had Hanlon in a headlock.

Yep stonewaller.

Skol
18-11-2017, 08:58 PM
was he offside when Hibs played the ball or Thomson got in the way ? That point is key....

thebakerboy
18-11-2017, 09:03 PM
What about the stuck on pen when the no6 had 2 hands over Stokes shoulders and pulled him down in box , he still touched the ball but not as he would have done if not pulled back.

pacoluna
18-11-2017, 09:05 PM
How could Boyle be offside when Thomson had played the ball forward from a square pass.

Awful ref as per. Didn't think it was a pen the one we got, but Hanlon one definitely was headlock.

Craig Thomson is a ****ing disgrace. Thank **** he is retiring next season. An absolute bellend of a referee.

hibee_girl
18-11-2017, 09:06 PM
What about the stuck on pen when the no6 had 2 hands over Stokes shoulders and pulled him down in box , he still touched the ball but not as he would have done if not pulled back.

:agree: it looked a stonewaller

kaimendhibs
18-11-2017, 10:01 PM
What about the stuck on pen when the no6 had 2 hands over Stokes shoulders and pulled him down in box , he still touched the ball but not as he would have done if not pulled back.Stonewall pen

Libby Hibby
19-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Boyle (who was in an offside position) gained an advantage by the ball deflecting off a match official...offside, imo, was the correct decision

Jones28
19-11-2017, 07:17 AM

Was that the big shout from the East/FF?

Ozymandias
19-11-2017, 07:26 AM

It was a corner. Im bang in line with the goal-line ans rocky collected it in play (just) and his momentum took him
Correct decision.

Also, direction of any pass is irrelevant for offside. The ref has no status on the pitch when it comes to the ball. It hitting him again is irrelevant
Boyle would have had to have been offside when the ball was initially played.
Thomson is a Grade A welt, but he did ok yesterday

matty_f
19-11-2017, 07:32 AM
I thought St Johnstone has as much to be aggreived at him as we did. He didn't have a shocking game but he wasn't great, and was equally bad for both teams imho.

jaf
19-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Didnt think CT had the worst of games, I expected a lot worse!! We were too far away to judge the panalty calls but other than those I didnt think he was all that bad. As I say expected worse.

neil7908
19-11-2017, 08:38 AM
Thought he was fine tbh. St Johnstone and their players on the other hand should be embarrassed at the time wasting and pathetic celebrations after their goals.

hibee_girl
19-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Was that the big shout from the East/FF?

:agree:

Keith_M
19-11-2017, 08:53 AM
I've never really thought of Thomson as natural. A hazard, sure....

Tbh, by that time all my faculties had shut down through cold.... so wtf knows?

So it wasn't just me then?

It was bl**dy cold yesterday.

Keith_M
19-11-2017, 08:54 AM
It was a corner. Im bang in line with the goal-line ans rocky collected it in play (just) and his momentum took him
Correct decision.

Also, direction of any pass is irrelevant for offside. The ref has no status on the pitch when it comes to the ball. It hitting him again is irrelevant
Boyle would have had to have been offside when the ball was initially played.
Thomson is a Grade A welt, but he did ok yesterday

Not true, it has to be a forward pass.

hibee62
19-11-2017, 09:10 AM
I thought he was abysmal, tbh.

St Johnstone players stood in front of every Hibs free kick, not even pretending to be looking to retreat. He just let that happen without so much of a word.

Twice pulled o’halloran up for diving without yellow cards ( I don’t know if they were dives or not but the referee had called them as dives) He then booked him for an elbow which would have seen him sent off.

The stokes penalty looked as stonewall as you can get from the east at that end.

The offside penalty: i need to see again because I’m not sure if Boyle was in an offside position when the Hibs player played the ball. Clearly was after Thomson’s intervention but that’s not the point that matters.

overdrive
19-11-2017, 09:21 AM
I thought he was fine yesterday, as he has been most of the time in the last five years since that game. He’s still a jambo welt though.

Ozymandias
19-11-2017, 10:33 AM
Not true, it has to be a forward pass.
Sorry mate, youre 100% incorrect on this one. The player needs to be ahead of the ball, the balls direction is not a factor. Think of this scenario: An attacker is in an offside position on the penalry spot. A winger is on the edge of the box, and mis-hits a pass so its goes marginally backward along the 18 yard line
Striker runs back to collect the ball. He is offside.
Ive been a ref for 25 years so am on pretty solid ground with this one - not the first time someone has thought this!!

WeeRussell
19-11-2017, 11:29 AM
I thought when first seen it that it was onside due to being played backwards and then hitting off thomson (he’s not on our side so would be fine just like if it came off an opponent)

Watched it on alba and rewound a few times... McGeough’s ball is slightly forward - offside.

From what the resident ref is saying above, it seems the direction of the ball may be irrelevant anyway!

blackpoolhibs
19-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that whenever we are sheite, the refs are sheite too?

Ozymandias
19-11-2017, 01:02 PM
I thought when first seen it that it was onside due to being played backwards and then hitting off thomson (he’s not on our side so would be fine just like if it came off an opponent)

Watched it on alba and rewound a few times... McGeough’s ball is slightly forward - offside.

From what the resident ref is saying above, it seems the direction of the ball may be irrelevant anyway!

From Wikipedia:
"Offside is an offence committed by the team which has the ball and is punished with an indirect free kick (https://simple.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Indirect_free_kick&action=edit&redlink=1). It is a common misconception that the ball must be played forward for an offside offence to be committed. This is incorrect however, as an offside offence is related to the position of the player in relation to the last two opponents, the ball and the opponent's goal line rather than the direction the ball is played. If the player is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent when it is played by a team mate, she or he is in an offside position."

WeeRussell
19-11-2017, 01:08 PM
From Wikipedia:
"Offside is an offence committed by the team which has the ball and is punished with an indirect free kick (https://simple.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Indirect_free_kick&action=edit&redlink=1). It is a common misconception that the ball must be played forward for an offside offence to be committed. This is incorrect however, as an offside offence is related to the position of the player in relation to the last two opponents, the ball and the opponent's goal line rather than the direction the ball is played. If the player is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent when it is played by a team mate, she or he is in an offside position."

I was believing you first time round anyway mate - makes sense to me.

eastcoasthibby
19-11-2017, 02:39 PM
O'halloran dived twice one on edge of the box, and Thomson gave no free-kick and he got booked for a seperate incident so if consistency exists for simulation equalling warning and/or booking then O'Halloran should have got a second yellow ..!! Davidson should have been booked for persistent fouling and if not.persistent for the challenge on Boyle where he stepped across and caught him waist high withhis knee ... he also allowed their players to stop quick free kicks and also twice they stopped Rocky distributing the ballearly ...apart from that and Hanlon getting pulled over ..he was fine ...😲🙇

Iggy Pope
19-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed that whenever we are sheite, the refs are sheite too?

Not only this. The Laws of the Game are roundly discussed on such sheite occasions.

Silky
19-11-2017, 05:26 PM

I've noticed this too! Been like that for years! Must be a co-incidence! 😉

emerald green
19-11-2017, 05:40 PM
An earlier post said Thomson is retiring next season. If so, good riddance.

JimBHibees
19-11-2017, 05:43 PM
I thought he was abysmal, tbh.

St Johnstone players stood in front of every Hibs free kick, not even pretending to be looking to retreat. He just let that happen without so much of a word.

Twice pulled o’halloran up for diving without yellow cards ( I don’t know if they were dives or not but the referee had called them as dives) He then booked him for an elbow which would have seen him sent off.

The stokes penalty looked as stonewall as you can get from the east at that end.

The offside penalty: i need to see again because I’m not sure if Boyle was in an offside position when the Hibs player played the ball. Clearly was after Thomson’s intervention but that’s not the point that matters.

The allowing of their players to stop the game at free kicks and not book anyone was a joke. Pointing st his watch doesn't cut it when teams are able to get back in shape when the other team wants to play quick.

snooky
19-11-2017, 06:38 PM

Actually it was. We were right in line with the FF goal line.
Rocky caught the ball in play and swung his arm back and the whole ball definitely was over the line. A corner was the correct decision it pains me to say.