PDA

View Full Version : If Scotland get O’Neill....

Callum_62
18-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Will NI move for Lenny?

He would surely be in with a shout?

Dont know he would want it though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thecat23
18-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Nope, Lennon isn’t interested in international football at this stage of his career. Maybe 10 years down the line but he is happy with club football and the day to day running of it.

Ross4356
18-11-2017, 09:24 AM
Tommy Wright said this week it was his dream job

Firestarter
18-11-2017, 09:26 AM
Tommy Wright or Steve Lomas. We are a better job than NI that's not even considering the death threats Lennon got.

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Lennon will never be manager of his country. The way his international playing career went put paid to that.

Tommy Wright or Steve Robinson were linked during the week. Wright deserves a "big job and there's not many bigger than managing your country. Hope he gets it and good luck to him

overdrive
18-11-2017, 10:05 AM
He said when Strachan was sacked that he didn’t understand why people his age accepted international jobs, so I think we are safe.

jacomo
18-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Nope, Lennon isn’t interested in international football at this stage of his career. Maybe 10 years down the line but he is happy with club football and the day to day running of it.

:agree:

Confirmed this in a Scotsman interview this week.

cabbageandribs1875
21-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Michael O'neill offered a 6 year extension by norn oirland

G B Young
21-11-2017, 11:40 AM
O'Neill is currently favourite for the West Brom job which would surely be more tempting than the Scotland job if he has any serious ambitions to manage at a high level.

The Scotland job would be a cushy gig which allows him to base himself at home in Edinburgh. For many folk that's an understandable consideration but for a football manager it shouldn't stifle your ambition and I'd be surprised if he put home comforts first if he were to be offered the West Brom role.

As others have said, Lennon has already ruled himself out of the NI job. Tommy Wright is surely the outstanding candidate for that one if O'Neill leaves.

Sammy7nil
21-11-2017, 11:47 AM
O'Neill is currently favourite for the West Brom job which would surely be more tempting than the Scotland job if he has any serious ambitions to manage at a high level.

The Scotland job would be a cushy gig which allows him to base himself at home in Edinburgh. For many folk that's an understandable consideration but for a football manager it shouldn't stifle your ambition and I'd be surprised if he put home comforts first if he were to be offered the West Brom role.

As others have said, Lennon has already ruled himself out of the NI job. Tommy Wright is surely the outstanding candidate for that one if O'Neill leaves.

Especially those with a driving ban :greengrin

Johnny_Leith
21-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Tommy Wright or Steve Lomas. We are a better job than NI that's not even considering the death threats Lennon got.

Slightly off topic but I met Steve Lomas once and always thought by his behaviour on the park and in the dugout he would be a bit of a Jimmy floyd hasslebaink but he was an absolute gent and waxed lyrical about Hibernian FC.

bod
21-11-2017, 02:45 PM
Especially those with a driving ban :greengrin
Do you think if he took the Scotland job he’d get the bus everywhere ?
His driving ban won’t affect his next job

jacomo
21-11-2017, 03:12 PM

Derek McInnes also in the running for WBA and is their ex-captain.

1van Sprou7e
21-11-2017, 03:48 PM
Lennon will never manage NI lol

Maybe the Republic but never NI

G B Young
21-11-2017, 04:29 PM

I think the point is that he wouldn't need to do as much driving in the Scotland job as he would if he moved south, where he'd be taking daily training etc. While I imagine the SFA would provide him with a driver (along with a reported £1 million salary! That's right £1 million pounds to manage Scotland for a handful of games each year?! You can see why he might be tempted by such a crazy salary), he could by and large get a train to most major Scottish grounds plus I don't imagine the Scotland manager needs to be seen sitting behind a desk at Hampden every day. I gather Strachan spent most his time at home in England.

Sammy7nil
21-11-2017, 05:02 PM

It was a joke hence the smiley face. And of course you are correct I don't expect to bump in to Michael whilst queueing for a 22 bus :greengrin

ancient hibee
21-11-2017, 05:15 PM
1. SFA will never pay a million quid.

2.They have however painted themselves into a corner by letting him know he’s on a short leet of one,a masterclass in how not to negotiate.

Lago
21-11-2017, 06:02 PM

2.They have however painted themselves into a corner by letting him know he’s on a short leet of one,a masterclass in how not to negotiate.

And N.I. have played an ace with their new & much improved offer.

Bishop Hibee
21-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Wright is a shoo-in for the NI job. Good manager and available relatively cheaply.

HoboHarry
21-11-2017, 06:37 PM
It was a joke hence the smiley face. And of course you are correct I don't expect to bump in to Michael whilst queueing for a 22 bus :greengrin
Even if you do, Jordi Cruyff's bodyguard will fling you oot the queue........

overdrive
21-11-2017, 06:45 PM

This has Butcher, November 2013 written all over it, I fear.

Hibbyradge
21-11-2017, 06:46 PM
This has Butcher, November 2013 written all over it, I fear.

Why?

overdrive
21-11-2017, 06:54 PM
We backed ourselves into a corner, went after Butcher and only Butcher. Ended up getting him on a big fat contract, had to take on all his pals (for Malpas and Tikka Masala, read the hobo currently employed at Tynecastle). We were all (mostly) blindly taken in by relative success of his most recent job, ignoring his poor record in every other job (OK, O’Neill doesn’t have a poor record in other jobs but his other jobs are at a relatively low level). He couldn’t repeat his success from ICT and it ended in disaster and was expensive to get rid of.

If we appoint O’Neill and he is a success, I’ll be delighted but I have a bad feeling about him and the Scotland job which is a shame as he was my childhood hero.

houstonhibbee
21-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Lennon will never manage NI lol

Maybe the Republic but never NI

Why? He's from the north

cabbageandribs1875
21-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Why? He's from the north

uh huh, he also played for the north...then he was hounded out by the ignorant vile sectarian bigoted buzzurds, do you think he would then want to manage them ? one death threat too many iirc

Nutmegged
22-11-2017, 01:28 AM
Why? He's from the north

Do you not remember why he chucked playing for his Country?

G B Young
22-11-2017, 10:17 AM

It's claimed here that the salary is 'near £1 million'

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/scotland/scotland-make-official-approach-for-michael-o-neill-1-4613829

Crazy money for a part-time job and makes you wonder how much the SFA have thrown at the role to no avail over the last 20 years.

Gordy M
22-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Why? He's from the north

Who did Martin O'neil play for? :wink:

Firestarter
22-11-2017, 10:29 AM
Pardew to be appointed Baggies manager. Good news for Scotland.

-Jonesy-
22-11-2017, 10:59 AM
Pardew to be appointed Baggies manager. Good news for Scotland.

Bad news for der hun

DarlingtonHibee
22-11-2017, 11:08 AM
Bad news for der hun

Shame..... Hope big Alex doesn't go back.

calumhibee1
22-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Shame..... Hope big Alex doesn't go back.

I do. He’s been a failure everywhere he’s been recently and is a dinosaur now.

Firestarter
22-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Bad news for der hun

Which is good news for me 😀