PDA

View Full Version : John O'Neil

Hibeewilly
17-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Just noticed on the matchday info on the official site that John is our special guest tomorrow and will be doing the half time draw. Lets give him a great Hibee welcome........what a player he was for the Hibs...a class act. A half time appearance in the near future from another great in that team would be even more welcome:wink:

murray26
17-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Here here.. the man was a class act at Hibs in a very good team.

Joe6-2
17-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Loved this guy!

sauzee6_2
17-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Did he score goals in any important games?? 🇳🇬👏

DarlingtonHibee
17-11-2017, 09:26 PM

I can't quite remember, but I think he did....

lord bunberry
17-11-2017, 09:44 PM
His performance in the 6-2 game was unbelievable, he was absolutely everywhere that night. Mixu got man of the match for his 3 goals, but John O’Neil was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch that night. I also remember him scoring a late equaliser at the pbs. Great wee player.

Firestarter
17-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Man of the match in the 6-2 match for me.

Last min equaliser at the shelter at Xmas too place went mental.

Love John O'Neil such a class act and a Scotland cap under us too. He was fantastic for us.

The first time I noticed him was when he actually scored a winner against us - think it was a rearranged match against St Johnstone or maybe a league cup match we lost 1-0. I remember after that a match against Saints he was in the team and was unplayable we won 3-0, Le God scored a free kick and zitelli a chip. Great times.

Firestarter
17-11-2017, 09:47 PM
His performance in the 6-2 game was unbelievable, he was absolutely everywhere that night. Mixu got man of the match for his 3 goals, but John O’Neil was head and shoulders above anyone on the pitch that night. I also remember him scoring a late equaliser at the pbs. Great wee player.

Christ I didn't even read your post. Doh.

Nicho87
17-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Fantastic player. Under valued I reckon.

My_Wife_Camille
17-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Scored against Hearts to make it 5-1.

Shame me we had to score again when we could have just stopped there and killed them as a club

17-11-2017, 09:55 PM

Love John O'Neil such a class act and a Scotland cap under us too. He was fantastic for us.

The first time I noticed him was when he actually scored a winner against us - think it was a rearranged match against St Johnstone or maybe a league cup match we lost 1-0. I remember after that a match against Saints he was in the team and was unplayable we won 3-0, Le God scored a free kick and zitelli a chip. Great times.

That equaliser at Tynecastle was mental.

Hibeewilly
17-11-2017, 10:15 PM

Completely forgot that he got his full cap in 2001 whilst playing for us F

Hi Heid Yin
17-11-2017, 10:30 PM
John O'Neil was without question a vital cog in that class Hibs side under McLeish.
He was sometimes never given the credit he deserved as he tidied up and grafted in the shadows of Latapy and Sauzee.
I still recall him setting up and powering that unstoppable shot into the roof of the Jambos net in the 6-2 demolition at Easter Road.
Every team needs a John O'Neil.

Zazu62
17-11-2017, 10:32 PM
He’s driving trucks these days was in my work last week

monktonharp
17-11-2017, 10:43 PM
He’s driving trucks these days was in my work last weekNever! what a player. one of the most underated players we've had in 30 years. loved his style and workrate. hope he's got himself self employed with one of those big shiny cement mixers lorries:greengrin

Baader
17-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Jo'N was brilliant for Hibs. I'm pretty sure his first goal for us was the fifth in the 6-2. Remember he had been playing well for us before then but hadn't scored until that night. I think.

Mr White
17-11-2017, 10:53 PM
His pass to put Zitelli through to score the only goal of the game v the huns the week before the 6-2 game was absolutely perfect.

green with envy
17-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Did he not score the first against Livi - Scottish Cup SF in a 3-0 win. Am I also correct that he managed to get a full Scotland cap? but don't remember who against.

snooky
17-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Anybody remember at ER when his laces got entangled with an opposing player and he got sent off for tripping? (Or maybe he was just booked :hmmm:).

Nicho87
17-11-2017, 11:16 PM
Did he not score the first against Livi - Scottish Cup SF in a 3-0 win. Am I also correct that he managed to get a full Scotland cap? but don't remember who against.

Scored within 2 minutes. My mum came along with me. Not a football fan, she didn't realise we had scored and just thought the fans were cheering the team coming out.

lord bunberry
17-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Anybody remember at ER when his laces got entangled with an opposing player and he got sent off for tripping? (Or maybe he was just booked :hmmm:).

I think that might have been at Ibrox

jodjam
17-11-2017, 11:25 PM
He’s driving trucks these days was in my work last week

My lad said exact same thing to me last week.

overdrive
17-11-2017, 11:40 PM
Did he not have to ditch being his brother’s best man so he could play in the cup final?

snooky
17-11-2017, 11:45 PM
I think that might have been at Ibrox

Naw, pretty sure it was at ER. I was at the game. To be fair, the opposing tried to plead John's case but the ref wouldn't listen.

jacomo
17-11-2017, 11:56 PM
Really liked him as a player. Hard to be the star man in that team but he was a very important part of it.

We then had that ridiculous situation where we couldn't afford to play him because his appearance money was killing us.

lord bunberry
18-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Naw, pretty sure it was at ER. I was at the game. To be fair, the opposing tried to plead John's case but the ref wouldn't listen.

You’re probably right, but I definitely remember a similar situation at Ibrox. I think it was later than the incident you’re talking about.

The_Horde
18-11-2017, 12:10 AM
Just noticed on the matchday info on the official site that John is our special guest tomorrow and will be doing the half time draw. Lets give him a great Hibee welcome........what a player he was for the Hibs...a class act. A half time appearance in the near future from another great in that team would be even more welcome:wink:

That last bit would be most incroyable. Please tell me that's inside info.

Glory Lurker
18-11-2017, 12:13 AM

our 1000th “premier” goal, no less.

That equaliser at Tynecastle was mental.

Bedlam. You’ll never beat Sauzee.

[QUOTE=snooky;5222511]Anybody remember at ER when his laces got entangled with an opposing player and he got sent off for tripping? (Or maybe he was just booked :hmmm:).[/QUOT

Definitely at Ibrox, between Christmas 2000 and the New Year. He was sent off. Pure nonsense.

kevinc
18-11-2017, 12:20 AM
Naw, pretty sure it was at ER. I was at the game. To be fair, the opposing tried to plead John's case but the ref wouldn't listen. Definitely Ibrox, I was there and remember it well, tbf, I thought that he had lashed out

IGRIGI
18-11-2017, 06:21 AM
It was mayhem when he rocketed in that equaliser at Tynie, their fans had been silent all game and had only just begun to have the confidence to think it was all over when he drew us level, fans went crazy!

Hibeewilly
18-11-2017, 08:13 AM
That last bit would be most incroyable. Please tell me that's inside info.
No inside info Dexter just high up my wish list!! If the great man appeared it would be standing room only!!

ben johnson
18-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Full cap in a 1. 1 friendly in Poland in 2001.
Played for 75 minutes
Game was played in Bydgoszcz hundreds of miles North of Warsaw where the bulk of the Scotland fans stayed. We got the train up from Warsaw but the trains had stopped running before game had ended.
The road from Bydgoszcz back to Warsaw was filled with Bydgoszcz taxis heading to the capital. Our driver got two of his taxi mates out of bed to help ferry the support back to Warsaw. The driver told us that the fare would mean he could have a week off as it was a few quid.

mjhibby
18-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Never! what a player. one of the most underated players we've had in 30 years. loved his style and workrate. hope he's got himself self employed with one of those big shiny cement mixers lorries:greengrin

The ideal modern Scottish footballer. Knows where to be and plays the simple ball most times but can play the killer ball too and of course can finish. Was of course a vital part of a terrific midfield that until injury hit the squad was heading for second in the league. Was earning £6,000 a week for a good few years so shouldn't be short of a bob or two. Why isn't he coaching with the likes of Keith's wrights in the Scottish youth set up. If ever any budding young midfielder could learn from someone he would be ideal.

McD
18-11-2017, 01:58 PM
Great player, who moulded into that cracking team like he’d played with them for years. Had a bit of everything in his game, with a really good mentality to boot.

Always enjoyed watching him play, classy operator. If not for the financial situation he found himself caught up in at Hibs, through no fault of his own, he’d be even more lauded I think. And even during that time where we couldn’t afford to play him, he maintained a dignified silence and support of the team rather than whining publicly.

Cabbage East
18-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Outstanding player for us.