PDA

View Full Version : Football in school grounds - could be any school in Scotland...

Viva_Palmeiras
17-11-2017, 03:28 PM
And we ask why sports are declining...

Football in the School Grounds

Our school grounds are very busy thoroughfares in the mornings before school starts. We would like to ensure that everyone enjoys a safe and calm environment and therefore would kindly ask that football is not played in the grounds before the school bell in the morning or for a few minutes directly after the bell at the end of the day. The top grass is a great place to run about before school starts if you arrive early with your child. P3 to P7 pupils have had this discussion within assembly this week.

Not as bad as my sons previous school - no one was allowed to take a football in to school

worcesterhibby
17-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Nothing changes really..I went to Trinity Primary between about 1973 - 1980 and we weren't allowed footballs throughout Primary School. We had to make our own sock balls...that was a real dark art !

HiBremian
17-11-2017, 04:01 PM
:agree: We had 4 "pitches" in our (primary) school grounds, permanently used before school, lunchtime and playtimes. That was the 60's, golden era.

Ozyhibby
17-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Corstorphine primary don’t allow football at all in the playground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SChibs
17-11-2017, 04:14 PM
I've known of schools banning tig so schools not allowing football doesn't surprise me

SingaporeHibs
17-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Sad and terrible decision. In this day in age when kids need every encouragement to step away from electronics etc, we have have schools blocking time that's perfectly suited to a kick about or tag or whatever else. Nanny state that's lost the plot. I agree there has always been silly no ball rules in certain places but kids should have areas that ball games can be played. It's a sad state

speedy_gonzales
17-11-2017, 04:37 PM
To be fair, they're asking football is not played AT ALL before morning bell and for the few minutes after afternoon bell until folk disperse,,,,that's better than a total ban.
I wouldn't imagine many kids play football before morning bell as MOST kids get dropped off at the last minute by their parents, that's why they have to park on pavements and the zig-zags obviously (as witnessed most mornings at South Gyle PS).

chasitup
17-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Nothing changes really..I went to Trinity Primary between about 1973 - 1980 and we weren't allowed footballs throughout Primary School. We had to make our own sock balls...that was a real dark art !
That made me laugh. I was at Trinity Primary in 1882-1983 and it was a right downer when the socks all started to unravel.

FitbaFolkKen
17-11-2017, 04:40 PM
That made me laugh. I was at Trinity Primary in 1882-1983 and it was a right downer when the socks all started to unravel.

That's a fair old stint in Primary!

Rattler
17-11-2017, 04:40 PM

Probably one of the worst playgrounds I can think of anyway. Around 600 kids and not a blade of grass in site, uneven tarmac and a parent funded playground that is still fenced off and can’t be used.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s waiting to be passed by the Council...but suppose the kids will have to wait their turn until the masses are finished at Tynecastle!

Wee Effen Bee
17-11-2017, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=VivaPalmeiras;5222062]And we ask why sports are declining...

Our school grounds are very busy thoroughfares in the mornings before school starts. We would like to ensure that everyone enjoys a safe and calm environment and therefore would kindly ask that football is not played in the grounds before the school bell in the morning or for a few minutes directly after the bell at the end of the day. The top grass is a great place to run about before school starts if you arrive early with your child. P3 to P7 pupils have had this discussion within assembly this week.

Not as bad as my sons previous school - no one was allowed to take a football in to school[/QUOTE
It’s about safety for nursery and/or P1s, nothing to do with banning fitba. Most schools have a ‘no ball’ policy as it can cause real issues. The school should provide fitba’s If this policy is enforced.

worcesterhibby
17-11-2017, 04:52 PM

He kept being put back a year ! lol

Viva_Palmeiras
17-11-2017, 05:09 PM
To be fair, they're asking football is not played AT ALL before morning bell and for the few minutes after afternoon bell until folk disperse,,,,that's better than a total ban.
I wouldn't imagine many kids play football before morning bell as MOST kids get dropped off at the last minute by their parents, that's why they have to park on pavements and the zig-zags obviously (as witnessed most mornings at South Gyle PS).

You’re right theyre effectively banning it in the morning - you’re welcome to run around on the grass - not play football.

At Stockbridge (albeit the 70s before it became the postcode hotspot) we played before, during breaks / lunch and after school on concrete.

We were still crap and never won a game in 2 years but competitiveness in Stocky during the 70s wasn’t what it was all about :)

Viva_Palmeiras
17-11-2017, 05:11 PM

More importantly what was it like to see the cup brought back on an open carriage and horse?

hibee
17-11-2017, 05:15 PM
At least they’re allowed on the grass, my kids headteacher used to ban them from going on the grass if it was wet which was most days.

She hated Football until she realised they had loads of good players that could actually win the league and cups so started turning up when cups were being given out.

Hibrandenburg
17-11-2017, 05:25 PM

:faf:

The Pointer
17-11-2017, 05:49 PM
When I was at college in the weege, St Al... (no idea how to spell it) boys played every day on a very small patch of ground in the city centre around twelve games of football at the same time. Was quite uncanny how they never overlapped.

Ozyhibby
17-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Probably one of the worst playgrounds I can think of anyway. Around 600 kids and not a blade of grass in site, uneven tarmac and a parent funded playground that is still fenced off and can’t be used.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s waiting to be passed by the Council...but suppose the kids will have to wait their turn until the masses are finished at Tynecastle!

It is indeed waiting on the council passing it off. Completed in August but sitting there all fenced off just torturing the kids.

Peevemor
17-11-2017, 06:06 PM
I went to Longstone primary and there was (IIRC) 3 acres of well cut grass we could play on - there was often 4-5 matches at any given time.

Firestarter
17-11-2017, 06:12 PM
3 pitches for me in the 90s all on gravel no complaints the p7 had top pitch. They now have a AstroTurf pitch where we used to play so not all bad.

Catch22
17-11-2017, 06:13 PM
No football pitches, but my wife tells me that Jim McArthur was her PE teacher at her Primary.

Hibrandenburg
17-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Wallyford primary had a small concrete football pitch. There used to be about 3 or 4 games going on at any one time.

Eyrie
17-11-2017, 06:32 PM

74-81 here, and my memory of the sock balls was how quickly they looked more like a rugby ball once the game started.

chasitup
17-11-2017, 06:37 PM
I look good for my age though. :wink:

Bookkeeper
17-11-2017, 06:47 PM
74-81 here, and my memory of the sock balls was how quickly they looked more like a rugby ball once the game started.

1968-75 for me. Haven't thought about playing with sock balls in the playground for a long time... bringing back a lot of good memories :aok:

wallpaperman
17-11-2017, 07:46 PM
And we ask why sports are declining...

Not as bad as my sons previous school - no one was allowed to take a football in to school

Ha, that's my daughter's primary school, Parsons Green.

Don't think it's too unreasonable as there are a lot of little P1's , not to mention their younger siblings who often tag along on the drop off, who could get knocked flying by a random ball if they're not paying attention as little ones do.

Plenty of time at break and lunchtime to hone the skills, i know there's plenty games going on as my daughter often joins in.

Just recently they had a coach from the Hibs taking them for PE for a few weeks (P2), not football, just general gym class, she enjoyed it.

wallpaperman
17-11-2017, 07:51 PM
No football pitches, but my wife tells me that Jim McArthur was her PE teacher at her Primary.

Mine too, at the Royal High, around 1979/1980 period. It was pretty exciting for a very keen 10 year old Hibs fan.

From memory he was back up to Mike McDonald when he started the role at Royal High, but he took over as number 1 keeper during his spell at the school, so that was exciting for us.

Very nice bloke and good teacher, took us for rugby, football, whatever was needed.

wookie70
17-11-2017, 08:31 PM

He was my teacher at Royal High Primary and we still were only allowed to play with a tennis ball on the tarmac playground. Huge area of grass at the side which is now Morrisons reserved for official sports. Jim did start the football team at Royal High. He crashed the mini bus on the way back from one of our earlier games. Nice guy and a very good PE teacher. My last year was 1980 I think and he was playing in goals for Hibs around that time.

Newcastlehibby
17-11-2017, 09:06 PM

I was at Trinity Primary from 1959. We played football in the tennis courts using sock balls. Great way of developing skills.

Newcastlehibby
17-11-2017, 09:09 PM
If Mrs Oliver had been your teacher, it would have felt like 101 years, believe me.

offshorehibby
17-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Silverkowes primary had 2 cracking big pitches, which over the years reared some good football teams and even a couple of decent players. Blooming houses now and not a blade o grass to be seen.

ozhibs
17-11-2017, 10:44 PM
Silverkowes primary had 2 cracking big pitches, which over the years reared some good football teams and even a couple of decent players. Blooming houses now and not a blade o grass to be seen.

That was my primary and we even played on the concrete behind the jannies house.

seanshow
17-11-2017, 11:41 PM
I went to Hailesland primary in the early 80's and we were also banned from playing football outside or else,
but of course we ignored all warnings repeatedly under the misguided view that safety in numbers would get us by - 25 aside at lunctime),
Wrong! The headmaster Mr Duff had enough, lined up all 50 of us in the gymansium and gave us the belt one by one. (.....on the hand thankfully, it wasn't that kind of school) :greengrin

O'Rourke3
17-11-2017, 11:42 PM
No football pitches, but my wife tells me that Jim McArthur was her PE teacher at her Primary.I can see some other replies re Barnton. Towerbank? I started Easter 1966. P1s played in the shed. Bigger boys played on the bombsite "pitch" outside the school gates or the playground now occupied but the gym. Rocks and glass - we were tough. Out of commission p6 when it was fenced and red chips put in making it impossible to play football. We left in 73 as Jim McArthur took over as PE teacher occasionally bringing Bobby Smith along to help out.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

silverhibee
18-11-2017, 12:33 AM

:faf:

JimBHibees
18-11-2017, 07:32 AM
It is indeed waiting on the council passing it off. Completed in August but sitting there all fenced off just torturing the kids.

Dear oh dear.

aussie_hibee
18-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Royston primary from 1984 - 1991.

Playground with big sheds at one end and school fence at the other.

Played before school, playtime, lunch and after school.

Nobody dared come near “the pitch”. Football ruled the school, everything else was second. Possibly the reason that Royston was so dominant late 80s early 90s

worcesterhibby
18-11-2017, 12:35 PM
If Mrs Oliver had been your teacher, it would have felt like 101 years, believe me.

If you had Miss Planner it would have felt like a millennium !!

LaMotta
18-11-2017, 12:41 PM

Disgrace!

I spent many a break and lunchtime trying to score into that bikeshed whilst defending the tree/jumper for goalpost at the other end.

Tomsk
18-11-2017, 01:34 PM
Dear oh dear.

To be fair, they are busy. They've got a team on standby today to fast-track a safety certificate for some new construction down Gorgie way. You know, like the do all the time. :coffee:

Swedish hibee
18-11-2017, 07:58 PM
I know your talking about outdoor, but why is there no indoor facilities for kids to play sports? Who wants to play in the freezing cold? I know your weather isn't as cold as Sweden- but it's hardly tropical judging by the winter gear worn by the fans in the stands today! Why can't schools open outta hours for sports stuff if there's no actually sports halls in your communities?