PDA

View Full Version : Europa League expansion

chippy
16-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Peter Lawyell suggesting something on these lines is going to happen. He’s said this could bring in more finance in for other Scottish clubs. This must be UEFA response to Atlantic League. Ideas around having smaller nations clubs more common involved in European competition up to December at least. I’ve seen ideas floated on the past re a 3rd European tournament for small nations. I hope there is something tangible in this that could help some of our clubs grow and increase revenues from TV and Euro games. Thoughts?

McSwanky
16-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Peter Lawyell suggesting something on these lines is going to happen. He’s said this could bring in more finance in for other Scottish clubs. This must be UEFA response to Atlantic League. Ideas around having smaller nations clubs more common involved in European competition up to December at least. I’ve seen ideas floated on the past re a 3rd European tournament for small nations. I hope there is something tangible in this that could help some of our clubs grow and increase revenues from TV and Euro games. Thoughts?

Immediate thought is that the Europa League is so devalued now (especially with teams dropping in from CL) that interest in it is pretty low. A third European competition is going to be below this level, and is likely to be seen as a distraction - I can see clubs playing reserve teams in this.

Once again, UEFA give me nothing to suggest that they're doing anything to further the game below the elite level.

IGRIGI
16-11-2017, 09:41 AM
I wish they would just go back to the UEFA cup of old and stop mucking about with it.

chippy
16-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Immediate thought is that the Europa League is so devalued now (especially with teams dropping in from CL) that interest in it is pretty low. A third European competition is going to be below this level, and is likely to be seen as a distraction - I can see clubs playing reserve teams in this.

Once again, UEFA give me nothing to suggest that they're doing anything to further the game below the elite level.
I suppose we need to wait and see the plans but we always used to have a 3rd tourney. Can’t see Hibs playing reserves in a modern version of UEFA cup/league with good marketing/TV/crowd potential. If it’s against our peers in Europe likes of Brondby, etc what’s not to like. We could possibly build on that and with our fan base growing at present possibly attract players and investment.

Mango Man
16-11-2017, 09:59 AM
I wish they would just go back to the UEFA cup of old and stop mucking about with it.

100%, the old system was so much better, league Champions in the European Cup, cup winners in the Cup Winners cup and 2/3/4th place finishes in the UEFA Cup, makes so much more sense.

Hibbyradge
16-11-2017, 10:21 AM
I'd love Hibs to play in the league stage of a European competition. Any European competition.

Far better than getting knocked out after a single round versus an unheard-of team from Kazakstan or somewhere else I probably can't spell.

I'm all for it.

Pete
16-11-2017, 10:46 AM
I suppose we need to wait and see the plans but we always used to have a 3rd tourney. Can’t see Hibs playing reserves in a modern version of UEFA cup/league with good marketing/TV/crowd potential. If it’s against our peers in Europe likes of Brondby, etc what’s not to like. We could possibly build on that and with our fan base growing at present possibly attract players and investment.

It’s difficult to compare eras and tournaments. With the old three, the tournaments were a lot closer together when it came to quality...sometimes the better teams during a season were playing in the EUFA or cup winners cup. In the modern era, there are bigger differences and tournaments are marketed and categorised specifically: The champions league is very much the top table and the Europa league is the second rate tournament. On that basis, I don’t know how much interest there would be in a level below that.

However, it’s all about the football and I’d like it to happen. Especially if the winners got to play in the Europa league next season or something.

lucky
16-11-2017, 11:38 AM
Fanciful to think that UEFA or the champions league clubs are ever go to change back to the European cup. A third tournament might work but Big clubs like Celtic won’t want to be in the third tier. But change needs to happen as lots of fans are losing interest in the champions league if their club is not in it.

stokesmessiah
16-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Fanciful to think that UEFA or the champions league clubs are ever go to change back to the European cup. A third tournament might work but Big clubs like Celtic won’t want to be in the third tier. But change needs to happen as lots of fans are losing interest in the champions league if their club is not in it.

I find the Champions League boring as hell to watch as well. It may as well be a different sport entirely.

Not In The Know
16-11-2017, 11:50 AM
If for example Hibs earned the same or more amount of money for qualifying for a "3rd" tier Euro comp as the did for a whole seasons TV money from the SPFL then it would be well worth.

chippy
16-11-2017, 11:52 AM
It’s difficult to compare eras and tournaments. With the old three, the tournaments were a lot closer together when it came to quality...sometimes the better teams during a season were playing in the EUFA or cup winners cup. In the modern era, there are bigger differences and tournaments are marketed and categorised specifically: The champions league is very much the top table and the Europa league is the second rate tournament. On that basis, I don’t know how much interest there would be in a level below that.

However, it’s all about the football and I’d like it to happen. Especially if the winners got to play in the Europa league next season or something.
Agreed comparisons with past tourneys is like comparing apples and pears. Moving on though yes the elite will probably always be the elite but there are plenty big clubs outside the elite and other well supported clubs from small countries being out muscled financially by the current structures.
There are some 190 clubs in the Europa League this year including champs league failures. What if that 190 was bundled into regional leagues initially moving to knock outs later wouldn’t that offer 3 or 4 Scottish clubs serious revenue raising potential? Simultaneously it could for the likes of Hibs, Hearts, Dons, bring in more investors, TV money for away games for a European audience. It could help to differentiate us again from Tiers 2,3 and 4 of England and increase our players salaries. The lower English clubs could not offer Euro football and we might be able to compete more salary wise. Keep the McGinns of the future even longer or get top dollar when sold. Utopian ?

NAE NOOKIE
16-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Its an interesting idea, but as has been mentioned the Champions league has become such a big deal the Europa league is looked upon as failure for a lot of clubs before the starting gun even gets fired. It was already devalued by letting Champions league also rans parachute into it, but has been devalued even more by turning it into a Champions league qualifying competition.

I cant see how a third competition would work based on it being for smaller countries ... If you started with countries of 10 million or under I cant see Celtic being happy at being relegated to Europe's 3rd competition when they already dine at the top table. On that basis it might not be a bad idea to resurrect the old cup winners cup .... though the Europa league cuts so deep into most leagues already there's every chance the two cup finalists in a lot of countries have already qualified for Europe through the league, which means either handing the place to one of the semi final losers or even having a play off between them if neither are already in Europe.

Hmmmm :dunno:

Diclonius
16-11-2017, 12:49 PM
A third tier UEFA cup - with NO dropping down from CL/EL losers - would be a great idea.

chippy
16-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Its an interesting idea, but as has been mentioned the Champions league has become such a big deal the Europa league is looked upon as failure for a lot of clubs before the starting gun even gets fired. It was already devalued by letting Champions league also rans parachute into it, but has been devalued even more by turning it into a Champions league qualifying competition.

I cant see how a third competition would work based on it being for smaller countries ... If you started with countries of 10 million or under I cant see Celtic being happy at being relegated to Europe's 3rd competition when they already dine at the top table. On that basis it might not be a bad idea to resurrect the old cup winners cup .... though the Europa league cuts so deep into most leagues already there's every chance the two cup finalists in a lot of countries have already qualified for Europe through the league, which means either handing the place to one of the semi final losers or even having a play off between them if neither are already in Europe.

Hmmmm :dunno:
May not just be for smaller countries but supporting smaller countries is the underlying theme I think. Clearly Celtic are involved in this process at some level so yes it will be fascinating to see what comes out. I don’t buy into the devaluation of the Europa League as the Chamipions league itself is mis named a better brand would be ‘big countries big clubs league’ . 2nd and 3rd Tier Euro Tourneys have done pretty well for lots of big and less big clubs and countries in the past and present. Some on here might recall our semi final with Roma In the 3rd Tier Inter Cities Fairs Cup?I’d love to see Hibs in a 3rd Tier European section with 2,3 or 4 home and away ties against similar sized clubs I can’t see a down side to it in fact I think if we were to get in it a few years on the trot we’d be looking to increase our seating/ standing capacity. Who knows where that would take us.
I do agree with reinstating the European Cup though but why stop at having the league champions in it only. Take s leaf out of champs league format and have All countries Euro qualifiers in it and it’s done on a straight knoc out basis. What fun that would be.

LancsHibs
16-11-2017, 01:44 PM
There used to be a 3rd tier Euro competition, it was the Intertoto Cup, we played in it on a couple of occasions. Don’t think it proved very popular

Hibbyradge
16-11-2017, 02:12 PM
Wasn't there three competitions in the 70s and 80s?

The European Cup, UEFA Cup (previously the Fairs Cup) and Cup Winners Cup. I think.

chippy
16-11-2017, 02:26 PM
There used to be a 3rd tier Euro competition, it was the Intertoto Cup, we played in it on a couple of occasions. Don’t think it proved very popular

I think the Inter Toto was a 4th Tier tourney but it was a qualifying route for UEFA cup and initially scorned by Scotland

chippy
16-11-2017, 02:27 PM

The European Cup, UEFA Cup (previously the Fairs Cup) and Cup Winners Cup. I think.
Yes same in the 60s too

danhibees1875
16-11-2017, 02:33 PM
100%, the old system was so much better, league Champions in the European Cup, cup winners in the Cup Winners cup and 2/3/4th place finishes in the UEFA Cup, makes so much more sense.

Would you end up with the "prestigious" competition being less followed that way?

If the European cup had Man City and the UEFA had Man U, Chelsea, Tottenham, and Liverpool in it for instance. (England is an extreme example of where this would happen - but I think you could apply to a lot of countries).

Clerie Green
16-11-2017, 02:39 PM
How much More would it cost Us ? :aok:

chippy
16-11-2017, 02:40 PM

Yes same in the 60s too

chippy
16-11-2017, 02:42 PM

I think the Inter Toto was a 4th Tier tourney but it was a qualifying route for UEFA cup and initially scorned by Scotland

blackpoolhibs
16-11-2017, 02:49 PM
To be perfectly honest, any european trip is just a huge jolly up for the supporters, if it was 4th or 5th tier who'd really care.

I wouldnt watch any of the other games involving any of the other teams, but i'd go away for the piss up.

Very much like i do now with the Europa league.

Iggy Pope
16-11-2017, 02:58 PM
To be perfectly honest, any european trip is just a huge jolly up for the supporters, if it was 4th or 5th tier who'd really care.

I wouldnt watch any of the other games involving any of the other teams, but i'd go away for the piss up.

Very much like i do now with the Europa league.

Correct. Many amongst us enjoyed Intertoto trips to Lithuania, Latvia, Sweden and Denmark. Vilnius was as drunk as I've ever been. Recent(ish) friendlies in Ireland (both sides), Holland, Belgium, Germany and the like have also resulted in much merriment.

lyonhibs
16-11-2017, 03:37 PM

And it stayed thus well into the 90's

Famous Fiver
16-11-2017, 05:28 PM
We'll get third tier referees too.

The European equivalent of Thomson, Beaton, Collum, Dallas et al.

Shivering just thinking about it.

Nutmegged
16-11-2017, 05:34 PM
If there was a 3rd UEFA competition I think Id rather that was exclusively for Champions League drop outs and leave the Europa League to clubs who have worked their nuts off to qualify for that.

Sammy7nil
16-11-2017, 05:47 PM
I'd love Hibs to play in the league stage of a European competition. Any European competition.

Far better than getting knocked out after a single round versus an unheard-of team from Kazakstan or somewhere else I probably can't spell.

I'm all for it.

Yeah it would be great to see Hibs beaten by three teams from Georgia Kazakhstan and San Marino :wink:

Michael
16-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Simple, just remove the 3rd place Champions League sides and add more groups to Europa league.

Honestly, what in the world were they thinking allowing Champions League teams to enter Europa league so late in the competition?

Humo
16-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Simple, just remove the 3rd place Champions League sides and add more groups to Europa league.

Honestly, what in the world were they thinking allowing Champions League teams to enter Europa league so late in the competition?It's an insurance policy so that even if the 'big' teams finish 3rd they still get European football.

Euefa just pander to the elite clubs put of fear they form their own league

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hibs1972
16-11-2017, 06:52 PM
Exactly! Far better than the crap these days. Money money money,that’s all that matters these days.

Iggy Pope
16-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Yeah it would be great to see Hibs beaten by three teams from Georgia Kazakhstan and San Marino :wink:

I know Hibbyradge well. He'd easily spell Sna Maniro.

Sammy7nil
16-11-2017, 07:57 PM
I know Hibbyradge well. He'd easily spell Sna Maniro.

:greengrin
LOL I "no" him to :greengrin

hibsdaft
16-11-2017, 08:03 PM

spot on.

jgl07
16-11-2017, 08:44 PM

It sounds remarkably like the Inter-Toto competition which Hibs had a couple of forays before it was wound up.

The Europa League is not respected largely because it is played on a Thursday and is clearly branded as a second class tournament. Consequently many teams do not take it seriously and put out a reserve team (Arsenal, for example).

Steve-O
17-11-2017, 02:25 AM

And the 90s - only finished in 1999 surprisingly.

Not a tournament well known to Hibs for some strange reason :rolleyes:

Jumbo
17-11-2017, 04:11 AM
And the 90s - only finished in 1999 surprisingly.

Not a tournament well known to Hibs for some strange reason :rolleyes:

We got to the quarter finals in 72/73

Steve-O
17-11-2017, 09:10 AM
We got to the quarter finals in 72/73

Indeed we did. Didn’t realise we’d been in it but I see the violent Huns did us a favour to get in! Or were we just in as runners up to Celtic?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972–73_European_Cup_Winners%27_Cup

Some good results. Pumped in Split unfortunately.