PDA

View Full Version : Fat Players

Dashing Bob S
15-11-2017, 07:47 AM
We’ve had a few porkers. George McCluskey and Barry Lavety went through pie stand loitering phases.

Firestarter
15-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Eduardo (The Tank) Hurtado was just fat. So wasn't shefki kiwi.

Unseen work
15-11-2017, 07:54 AM
Paul Cairney

Salt N Sauzee
15-11-2017, 07:56 AM
Holt

Peevemor
15-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Ally Mcleod wasn't the slimmest...

jgl07
15-11-2017, 08:03 AM
Mickey Quinn of Newcastle and Coventry was a bot of porker. He was top scorer in the EPL for a spell after joining Coventry and his supporters went to matches with cushions inside their shirts as a celebration.

The fattest player I can recall was Alex Dawson of Preston (previously at Manchester United).

seanshow
15-11-2017, 08:05 AM
Goalies - Conrad 'Big boned legend' Logan,
'Only Two Andy Gorams' although he was fine at the time.

southern hibby
15-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Slightly of topic, but not the fattest but broadest player I've ever seen across the shoulders in a professional games was FC Leige right back, when they played us in Europe, absolutely enormous.

GGTTH

surreyhibbie
15-11-2017, 08:32 AM
At the risk of upsetting Doddie by mentioning the name -

"wee fat Joe" Harper

SouthMoroccoStu
15-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Mixu

Or was he solid? Sturdy?

O'Rourke3
15-11-2017, 08:46 AM
Joe McBride Senior and Stevie Cowan spring to mind in the anti svelte category.....

sambajustice
15-11-2017, 08:48 AM
Nade - 10 men couldn't carry him!

Callyballybe
15-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Ha! The title of this thread did make me laugh this morning on the way to the office.

Scouse Hibee
15-11-2017, 08:53 AM
The chant was

"Sammy Lee.....He's fat, he's round, he's worth a million pounds......Sammy Lee"

Souter96Mac
15-11-2017, 08:57 AM
O'Connor, certainly in his second spell.

Pretty Boy
15-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Mixu

Or was he solid? Sturdy?

Mixu was a big unit but he was very fit. He always came near the top of the fitness tests that the squad underwent at the time. I used to see him running round Holyrood Park in the evening and he used to fly along.

Not Hibs related but in his later career Mark Yardley was huge.

Mr White
15-11-2017, 09:05 AM
Not Hibs related but in his later career Mark Yardley was huge.

Nakedmanoncrack
15-11-2017, 09:32 AM
Look at a team group from the 70s, any team, there are loads of players who would be considered rotund now.
It was possible to play at the top level even if far from being in perfect condition - provided you had the skill, the modern player is much more athletic.

stantonhibby
15-11-2017, 09:33 AM
That boy Akinfenwa is huge.

Michael
15-11-2017, 09:34 AM

It's not fat though. Dude is stacked.

Carheenlea
15-11-2017, 09:47 AM
Look at a team group from the 70s, any team, there are loads of players who would be considered rotund now.
It was possible to play at the top level even if far from being in perfect condition - provided you had the skill, the modern player is much more athletic.

Posted this one from Scottish Football Yesteryear page on the pictures thread - the physical shape of professional footballers has changed considerably!

http://i66.tinypic.com/1445s1t.jpg

stantonhibby
15-11-2017, 09:52 AM
Posted this one from Scottish Football Yesteryear page on the pictures thread - the physical shape of professional footballers has changed considerably!

http://i66.tinypic.com/1445s1t.jpg

Who is the boy 4 from the left between Duncan and Turnbull ? Thinking Mike Conroy but not sure.

calumhibee1
15-11-2017, 10:00 AM

Agreed. Which is exactly why teams nowadays would romp past the sides of yesteryear. I was at the Captains Supper the other week and the quality of football on the highlights from the ‘72 final was so poor looking at it now in comparison to today’s football.

Jones28
15-11-2017, 10:12 AM

The guys is an absolute bear, he can bench press 180 KG. Or 6 and a half bags of tatties to put that in to context.

Scorrie
15-11-2017, 10:27 AM
I think the fattest player I ever saw on a pitch was George Connelly playing for Sauchie Juniors. He was huge and didn’t move much but was still a class act

--------
15-11-2017, 10:37 AM

"wee fat Joe" Harper

When I saw that Bob had put up the thread I was about to nominate Lardass, but I'm content to second the motion.

A finer candidate for radical liposuction than Harper I have never seen.

Mixu

Or was he solid? Sturdy?

Mixu wasn't fat - built like a T-34 tank he was. Sorry, IS.

hibbybrian
15-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Who is the boy 4 from the left between Duncan and Turnbull ? Thinking Mike Conroy but not sure.

Looks like Ian Hendry, who broke his leg in his debut

MacGruber
15-11-2017, 11:07 AM
Liverpool's Jan Molby in his latter years springs to mind. Some player too

Geo_1875
15-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Agreed. Which is exactly why teams nowadays would romp past the sides of yesteryear. I was at the Captains Supper the other week and the quality of football on the highlights from the ‘72 final was so poor looking at it now in comparison to today’s football.

Can't agree. The likes of Chic Charnley smoked, drank, didn't train but ripped the proverbial out of many athletes. Today's average footballer is fitter but still not fit to lace the boots of the greats of the not so distant past.

Bostonhibby
15-11-2017, 11:22 AM
When I saw that Bob had put up the thread I was about to nominate Lardass, but I'm content to second the motion.

A finer candidate for radical liposuction than Harper I have never seen.

Mixu wasn't fat - built like a T-34 tank he was. Sorry, IS.We used to sing

He's fat, he's round, he's put on another pound... ..

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

GloryGlory
15-11-2017, 11:28 AM

"wee fat Joe" Harper

I remember the Hibs crowd would break out into a spontaneous rendition of "Roll out the Barrel" whenever he got stripped as a substitute. :greengrin

Hibbyradge
15-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Wasn't Mabossa a bit on the large side?

mondacabbage
15-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Wasn't Mabossa a bit on the large side?

Richie?

Geo_1875
15-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Richie?

Andy? He got ****ing huge.

R'Albin
15-11-2017, 12:25 PM
Garry O'Connor in his second spell. Also Scott Allan when he first joined - although it was understandable in his case.

Pete
15-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Let’s be honest, there’s a difference between being fat and “footballer fat”.

Most of these “fat” footballers probably have bodies and levels of physical fitness that we (erm, myself included) could only dream of. :-D

Dalianwanda
15-11-2017, 01:00 PM
John Clark for Gala..”Dinnae give him the ba, he’ll eat it” was a memorable shout from the sidelines

essexhibee
15-11-2017, 01:08 PM
https://talksport.com/sites/default/files/styles/just_scale/public/field/image/201510/gettyimages-484368703.jpg?itok=sgFc8pOg

Hibernia&Alba
15-11-2017, 01:11 PM

Molby Dick, a whale of a man, but a fine player.

Definitely Mick Quinn.

Neil Ruddock.

Gazza

Swedish hibee
15-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Someone loaned me Mickey Quinns book- he's some man, girl in every port!!! And Alan Brazil now looks like he's eat his former self🙈

Hibbyradge
15-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Richie?

:agree:

Hibbyradge
15-11-2017, 01:29 PM
http://www.irishexaminer.com/remote/media.central.ie/media/images/c/conradLoganHibernian_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-393550

scoopyboy
15-11-2017, 01:30 PM
The best fat Scottish player I can remember is Bobby Murdoch.

Lisbon Lion and Scottish Internationalist.

Got really big when he moved to Middlesborough.

In modern times Steven Dobbie was huge one time at the start of a season.

Hibernia&Alba
15-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Richie?

Andy Ritchie of Morton? Only seen him on You Tube, but what a player. How come he never got a big move? Too fond of the kebabs and the bevvy?

Hi Heid Yin
15-11-2017, 01:37 PM

I take your point about teams nowadays would "hypothetically" romp past sides of yesteryear, but it's not that straightforward.
Give the players of yesterday the same training methods and fitness regimes of players of today and then see who would romp past whom.
For me it then all narrows down to quality. The very same thing that separates todays average players from the not so average.

Erich Schaedler, off the top of my head, was super fit and he unquestionably would find no problem coping with todays faster game.
Yes, there were some hefty players in the old days. I recall a porky Francis Lee of Manchester City, but boy could he play and entertain.

Faster football does not equate to better football, but combine fast football and quality players and then we have the best of the current EPL.

Smartie
15-11-2017, 02:14 PM
Let’s be honest, there’s a difference between being fat and “footballer fat”.

Most of these “fat” footballers probably have bodies and levels of physical fitness that we (erm, myself included) could only dream of. :-D

I had a good old chuckle at Conrad Logan as I arrived at Hampden Park for that Scottish Cup semi-final. Never had I seen a player appear so out of condition, his top looked like it was an adapted tent.

I think it was a few days later that we played Rangers at ER and I was in hospitality. Oxley was back in the team and Logan didn't play, but they promised a Logan appearance at hospitality, and Conrad came in to be interviewed.

Obviously he was rapturously well-received, but the thing that struck me was how athletic he looked, wearing normal clothes at just a few yards away. I expected him to look like a 20 stone Irish farmer on the back of a tractor - he was in fact totally different.

So yes - "football fat" and actually fat are totally different things.

SonOfDavidFrancey
15-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Someone on here posted once the ultimate pelter: ‘it wasny you it was your arse that was offside’ hurled in the direction I thought they said of George McCluskey though I don’t remember him being that fat.

Was Goram not a bit lardy in later days? (Cue ‘if it had been a pie ye’d have caught it ya fat bassa’

heidtheba
15-11-2017, 02:45 PM

Was it Roy Evans who said of Molby "He's worth his weight in gold...and that's a lot of gold!" Was some Liverpool staffer around the time (although might have been Ronnie Whelan he was talking about?)

In terms of chunky monkey players at ER that I've seen, I remember watching a Raith Rovers sub coming on and running towards the stand I was in. Old guy, ex rangers player - name escapes me. He looked ok until he turned and we saw the profile view. There was an audible gasp from the crowd. Pretty sure we lost 0-2, was a cold late January game and I've a feeling the chubby dude played a blinder.

Smartie
15-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Was it Roy Evans who said of Molby "He's worth his weight in gold...and that's a lot of gold!" Was some Liverpool staffer around the time (although might have been Ronnie Whelan he was talking about?)

In terms of chunky monkey players at ER that I've seen, I remember watching a Raith Rovers sub coming on and running towards the stand I was in. Old guy, ex rangers player - name escapes me. He looked ok until he turned and we saw the profile view. There was an audible gasp from the crowd. Pretty sure we lost 0-2, was a cold late January game and I've a feeling the chubby dude played a blinder.

I went down to that Masters thing that Hibs entered a few years ago. Our over 35s played about 8 minutes of football before being horsed out - I got 3 points and a fine for speeding on the way down to Manchester, and the same on the way back up.

Anyhoo, after we'd been knocked out and having travelled so far, I stayed to watch the rest of the tournament.

Molby was magnificent, it was between him and Beardsley as to who was the best in the tournament. Molby was colossal (if he was scarcely fit when he played, imagine him a few years later) but he just stood in the centre circle spraying passes and absolutely dominating games. It was quite a sight to behold.

And IIRC quite a few games went to penalties - Molby was absolutely deadly from the spot and scored all of his.

I didn't really expect it to be, but it was one of the finest individual performances I have witnessed, and it was in an over 35s 6 a side tournament.

Immense. I love Molby.

wookie70
15-11-2017, 03:19 PM

I was in the back of the main stand that day, just had a flashback of the noise his leg made.

Just Jimmy
15-11-2017, 03:21 PM
nobody mentioned charlie miller yet?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

snooky
15-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Puskas - daddy of them all. :not worth

snooky
15-11-2017, 03:41 PM
https://talksport.com/sites/default/files/styles/just_scale/public/field/image/201510/gettyimages-484368703.jpg?itok=sgFc8pOg

The crowd look as if they've just came straight from an Orange Walk.

eastmainsmsh
15-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Jeroen verhoven dutch keeper

Billy Whizz
15-11-2017, 03:55 PM
Mark Yardley has a big breakfast named after him.
Met Mark at a Hibs development game at the Oriam a few weeks ago. Looking a lot slimmer and looking well

Jones28
15-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Can't believe the Polar Bear has only been mentioned the once an all

hibbyfraelibby
15-11-2017, 04:36 PM
Anybody remember Tiny Wharton? As a ref he made entire teams of notionally obese players look like Biafrans

Geo_1875
15-11-2017, 04:44 PM
Anybody remember Tiny Wharton? As a ref he made entire teams of notionally obese players look like Biafrans

refereed games from the centre circle.

IlDiavola
15-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Maradona

The original Ronaldo

That Welsh Everton goalie (Southall?)

WoreTheGreen
15-11-2017, 06:11 PM
Fat mcluskey

Haymaker
15-11-2017, 06:17 PM
I remember going to a semi pro game in England and the away team had this absolute blob at #5. We were giving him stick "he's fat, he's round, he can't get off the ground he's number 5!"

Strolled the whole game, kept a clean sheet against a team with the best attack in the league.

DH1875
15-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Was our manager not on the tubby side at times when he was playing? I don't think he was but something in my head keeps telling me I used to call him a fat basthard all the time :confused:

lapsedhibee
15-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Was our manager not on the tubby side at times when he was playing? I don't think he was but something in my head keeps telling me I used to call him a fat basthard all the time :confused:

Lennon does a Collins

tamig
15-11-2017, 08:26 PM

I was there. We got handed complimentary tickets for the stand at Shielfield and it happened right in front of us. Good to see Simon Murray’s dad in that pic too.

Scouse Hibee
15-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Molby Dick, a whale of a man, but a fine player.

Definitely Mick Quinn.

Neil Ruddock.

Gazza

Molby Dick? Never heard him called that lol

Nickname was Rambo.

jgl07
15-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Maradona

The original Ronaldo

That Welsh Everton goalie (Southall?)
Neville Southall was pictured on TV a couple of weeks back. He is enormous now.

He was always thick set but muscular but he must have really piled on the pounds since then.

NASAHIBS
15-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Steve Fulton......round and ugly with it......

Orchard_Hibs
15-11-2017, 10:10 PM
No body mentioned that fat striker at the yams, ze*** was it?

Colr
15-11-2017, 10:17 PM
Andy Ritchie

yonder1875
15-11-2017, 10:38 PM
There's a centre half at Tranmere who's name escapes me, don't suppose anyone knows who I'm on about. Some size of a laddie.

proud_and_green
15-11-2017, 11:04 PM
I remember the Hibs crowd would break out into a spontaneous rendition of "Roll out the Barrel" whenever he got stripped as a substitute. :greengrinHarper's a barrel, Harper's a barrel of @#?+E....

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
15-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Harper's a barrel, Harper's a barrel of @#?+E....

You one of Doddie's groupie's?

:greengrin

Swedish hibee
16-11-2017, 02:28 AM
I had a good old chuckle at Conrad Logan as I arrived at Hampden Park for that Scottish Cup semi-final. Never had I seen a player appear so out of condition, his top looked like it was an adapted tent.

I think it was a few days later that we played Rangers at ER and I was in hospitality. Oxley was back in the team and Logan didn't play, but they promised a Logan appearance at hospitality, and Conrad came in to be interviewed.

Obviously he was rapturously well-received, but the thing that struck me was how athletic he looked, wearing normal clothes at just a few yards away. I expected him to look like a 20 stone Irish farmer on the back of a tractor - he was in fact totally different.

So yes - "football fat" and actually fat are totally different things.

Totally thought the same when I met the great man too! I expected him to be huge- but he really wasn't. It's like someone said Gazza on here, but I watched his documentary online and when he's celebrating shirtless- he's no Ronaldo but not a fatty by any means.

Greentinted
16-11-2017, 03:04 AM
Some may recall a certain Armand One when he gave our neighbours a spanking in the colours of Partick Thistle...a few years on I found myself at a Stenhousmuir v Stranraer game and happened upon a more 'established' Monsieur One...

Mr White
16-11-2017, 06:45 AM
There's a centre half at Tranmere who's name escapes me, don't suppose anyone knows who I'm on about. Some size of a laddie.

Steve McNulty? There's a photo of him on page 2 of this thread :greengrin

--------
16-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Harper's a barrel, Harper's a barrel of @#?+E....

You one of Doddie's groupie's?

Not at all. I don't have 'groupies'.

He and I are simply gentlemen of impeccable taste and discernment.

The point you may be missing is that even in the 1970's, when players were generally (let's say) PLUMPER than players nowadays, Harper was an exceptional and outstanding lardball.

In my recollection, he's the only 'professional footballer' (I use the term loosely) who was wider than he was tall.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/alienfilm/images/8/87/Jabba_the_Hutt.png/revision/latest?cb=20150906131046

This was him three months after he signed. He was far, far worse when he arrived.

PS: Bobby Johnstone was carrying a fair bit of weight when he came back to ER in '59, but my goodness what a player HE was. He and the Baker Boy were a lethal combination - Bobby supplied the bullets, Joe put them away.

superfurryhibby
16-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Not at all. I don't have 'groupies'.

He and I are simply gentlemen of impeccable taste and discernment.

The point you may be missing is that even in the 1970's, when players were generally (let's say) PLUMPER than players nowadays, Harper was an exceptional and outstanding lardball.

In my recollection, he's the only 'professional footballer' (I use the term loosely) who was wider than he was tall.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/alienfilm/images/8/87/Jabba_the_Hutt.png/revision/latest?cb=20150906131046

This was him three months after he signed. He was far, far worse when he arrived.

PS: Bobby Johnstone was carrying a fair bit of weight when he came back to ER in '59, but my goodness what a player HE was. He and the Baker Boy were a lethal combination - Bobby supplied the bullets, Joe put them away.

Harper scored 49 goals in 99 competative games for Hibs. Not a bad return. He's a regular contributor on the Scottish Football of Yesteryear site, good at responding to questions and comes across as a decent guy:cb

However, he was a bizarre signing by Eddie Turnbull, to think we could have got Alan Rough and Alan Hansen for less than Harper's fee. That team needed a centre half and a goalie, Eddie went for a poacher up front.

overdrive
16-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Whilst not your normal bloke fat, I seem to remember David Murphy was “footballer fat” when he first signed. Lost it very quickly though.

--------
16-11-2017, 01:48 PM
Harper scored 49 goals in 99 competitive games for Hibs. Not a bad return. He's a regular contributor on the Scottish Football of Yesteryear site, good at responding to questions and comes across as a decent guy:cb

However, he was a bizarre signing by Eddie Turnbull, to think we could have got Alan Rough and Alan Hansen for less than Harper's fee. That team needed a centre half and a goalie, Eddie went for a poacher up front.

What was the scoring record of the man he replaced?

And I submit that anyone who inspired the wee ditty quoted above cannot have been exactly popular with the bulk of the support ....

"Harper's a barrel - Harper's a barrel of s***e"? There's not a lot of love in there.

I can't remember anyone singing stuff like that about Neil Martin or Joe McBride or Jim O'Rourke or Alan Gordon, who were fairly decent strikers for us in their time?

[And I believe Ted Bundy came over as a decent, polite young man... Cannae tell the book from its cover. :devil:]

:wink:

superfurryhibby
16-11-2017, 02:08 PM
What was the scoring record of the man he replaced?

And I submit that anyone who inspired the wee ditty quoted above cannot have been exactly popular with the bulk of the support ....

"Harper's a barrel - Harper's a barrel of s***e"? There's not a lot of love in there.

I can't remember anyone singing stuff like that about Neil Martin or Joe McBride or Jim O'Rourke or Alan Gordon, who were fairly decent strikers for us in their time?

[And I believe Ted Bundy came over as a decent, polite young man... Cannae tell the book from its cover. :devil:]

:wink:

Sure, Harper was always on a hiding to nothing when it came to breaking up the prolific strike partnership of Gordon and O'Rourke. Deep down, the liability for this lies with Turnbull. Eddie was never a man for acknowledging any error or mistakes on his part.

The purchase of Harper marked the start of the decline of the Tornadoes and the beginning of Turnbull's decline as a manager. It precipitated the sale of Cropley and the release of Gordon and ORourke. More weird transfers were to soon follow.

--------
16-11-2017, 02:25 PM
Sure, Harper was always on a hiding to nothing when it came to breaking up the prolific strike partnership of Gordon and O'Rourke. Deep down, the liability for this lies with Turnbull. Eddie was never a man for acknowledging any error or mistakes on his part.

The purchase of Harper marked the start of the decline of the Tornadoes and the beginning of Turnbull's decline as a manager. It precipitated the sale of Cropley and the release of Gordon and ORourke. More weird transfers were to soon follow.

Which is exactly why I dislike Harper so much. :aok:

But I think it's unfair to blame ET alone - Chairman Hart carries a huge responsibility as well.

But we're actually talking about fat players.

Has Steven Dobbie been mentioned yet?

Iggy Pope
16-11-2017, 03:49 PM
The Harpers a barrel of ***** number was trawled when he was back at Aberdeen. It wasn't sung at him when he was at Hibs.
One of his understudies, Alex McGhee, was a rotund wee fellah too. Never really made it, but had a good scoring record in the reserves as I recall.

superfurryhibby
16-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Which is exactly why I dislike Harper so much. :aok:

But I think it's unfair to blame ET alone - Chairman Hart carries a huge responsibility as well.

But we're actually talking about fat players.

Has Steven Dobbie been mentioned yet?

Aye, Mr Hart's benevolence was soon to dry up.

Dobbies had a mention.

What about John Blackley, never the slimmest and was fairly rotund of belly when he made his return to ER. Seem to recall him masterminding a decent result v Aberdeen, pulling the strings from the back at a time when we usual got a good shearing from them.

eastmainsmsh
16-11-2017, 04:28 PM
Justin Skinnier 😉

snooky
16-11-2017, 04:29 PM

On paper the purchase of Harper looked good. As we know, Joe doesn't appear to have fitted into the squad (in a personality sense). I didn't like Harper however, the break up of possible the 2nd best Hibs team EVER wasn't his fault it was Ned's. It was probably inevitable that Cropley would be sold at some point to a bigger club, Alan Gordon wanted to go part-time to complete his accountancy exams (which was a no-no in Ned's book) & Paddy wanted to play in defence as his legs were starting to go. (To this day, I have no idea why we sold Jimmy).
Ned's mistake was not replacing like for like and maintaining the successful formula. Ian Munro although a decent player, never came close to filling Cropley's position. Harper was a square peg in a round hole (ironic phrase :wink:) and another tall centre was called for when Gordon moved. While Des Bremner was a fine player and went on to greater things, he wasn't as swashbuckling as Brownlie. Also, I always felt Brownlie never got back to 100% after his leg break.
As has been mentioned and discussed many times, our weakness was at CH and to some extent a goalkeeper. We also had a lack of strength in the reserves.
The Tornados were a fantastic side and I feel very privileged that I was there to see them. :flag:

heretoday
16-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Aye, Mr Hart's benevolence was soon to dry up.

Dobbies had a mention.

What about John Blackley, never the slimmest and was fairly rotund of belly when he made his return to ER. Seem to recall him masterminding a decent result v Aberdeen, pulling the strings from the back at a time when we usual got a good shearing from them.

Blackley strolled about like Beckenbauer much of the time. He got away with it but occasionally an alert striker would pick his pocket and he couldn't turn fast enough to recover.

Was George Best not a trifle, er, comfortable around the midriff while he played for us?

IlDiavola
16-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Was Bobby Williamson not a bit of a belter?

superfurryhibby
16-11-2017, 06:45 PM
Blackley strolled about like Beckenbauer much of the time. He got away with it but occasionally an alert striker would pick his pocket and he couldn't turn fast enough to recover.

Was George Best not a trifle, er, comfortable around the midriff while he played for us?

Cough cough, Dixie Deans. Not very fast, but a true predator in the box. In fact he too was a bit athletically challenged.

FranckSuzy
16-11-2017, 07:00 PM
Sorry if mentioned before but blobby jobby John 'Robbo' Robertson :greengrin

The Pointer
16-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Enjoying this thread but I'm realising just exactly how many folk are older than me on .net and I'm no Spring chicken.

I only go back to about 1967!

overdrive
16-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Shaun Dennis was a bit of a tub as well (not that I’d say that to his face, likes)

Iggy Pope
16-11-2017, 08:33 PM
Shaun Dennis was a bit of a tub as well (not that I’d say that to his face, likes)

He's not now. Not sure he ever was.

heretoday
16-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Enjoying this thread but I'm realising just exactly how many folk are older than me on .net and I'm no Spring chicken.

I only go back to about 1967!

Ha! 1964 for me. I bet no one remembers Stan Vincent on here. He was quite "stocky".

Iggy Pope
16-11-2017, 08:40 PM
Ha! 1964 for me. I bet no one remembers Stan Vincent on here. He was quite "stocky".

Wee Jimmy, same vintage and perfectly built!

Carheenlea
16-11-2017, 08:42 PM

Before my time, but he was one of the guests at a Ted Brack book launch at ER and was the star of the night - great story teller and quite a character!

Aldo
16-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Neil 'Razor' Ruddock
Neville Southall (later years)
Tomas Brolin

Dean Wind(lard)as?

Iggy Pope
16-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Neil 'Razor' Ruddock
Neville Southall (later years)
Tomas Brolin

Dean Wind(lard)as?

Great goalie, but probably the sweatiest ever.

Aldo
16-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Great goalie, but probably the sweatiest ever.

He was immense however when they changed the rule that the keeper couldn't pick up from pass back he struggled a bit, like many others.

overdrive
16-11-2017, 09:13 PM
He's not now. Not sure he ever was.

You sure?

https://goo.gl/images/HZ7H6A
https://goo.gl/images/vgY3MP

stantonhibby
16-11-2017, 09:44 PM

Bump into Stan quite often walking his dog in Corstorphine.

Scott Allan Key
16-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Kris ‘Fat ****’ Boyd

Fanforlife
16-11-2017, 10:03 PM
Bump into Stan quite often walking his dog in Corstorphine.
Remember him knocking himself out when scoring v Killie in the Summer Cup?head against goalpost,only 1 winner there 😂.think Hibs won 4 1?

HappyAsHellas
16-11-2017, 10:12 PM
I seem to recall that Willie Wilson had a bit of weight about him, but I was just a kid and built like a sparrow with rickets so it might just have been an illusion.

Dashing Bob S
16-11-2017, 10:21 PM
I mean this in purely descriptive, not pejorative terms, but 'the fat arsed English Hun' is a sub genre of its own.

Mel Sterland
Kevin Drinkell

Neither man was especially over fat, but both had massively outsized bums in proportion to the rest of them.

overdrive
16-11-2017, 10:37 PM
I might be wrong here, but I don’t think anyone has mentioned the obvious non-Hibs one.

One man, two men, three men... ten men and a forklift truck couldn’t carry Nade.

SkintHibby
17-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Thats hilarious! Mark was at school with me and for a big (in more ways than one) Jambo, he was decent lad. The thing I found strange was, there were far better players than him at school yet he was the only one that made the senior game.:confused:

Iggy Pope
17-11-2017, 06:56 PM
You sure?

https://goo.gl/images/HZ7H6A
https://goo.gl/images/vgY3MP

I'm sure. He doesn't look fat in either of those at all. And he isn't fat now as anyone who visited his boozer past couple of Kirkcaldy trips might testify.