PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan

Firestarter
14-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Is Deeks officially retired now? Would love him on the pitch at half time if so. His career at us should be widely acknowledged too.

Apologies if already covered, the Buffon story plus Edinburgh city thread made me think.

hibsbollah
14-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Could he still do a job for us?

Firestarter
14-11-2017, 08:28 AM

Wouldn't say no.

Michael
14-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Bring him home.

FilipinoHibs
14-11-2017, 08:31 AM
Bring him home.

Maybe could come on for free kicks.

scoopyboy
14-11-2017, 09:10 AM
I'm sure there will be people on here wanting the man to play for us when he's 70.

GreenLake
14-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Is Deeks officially retired now? Would love him on the pitch at half time if so. His career at us should be widely acknowledged too.

Apologies if already covered, the Buffon story plus Edinburgh city thread made me think.

At a derby game.

Nicho87
14-11-2017, 09:24 AM
Best finisher I've seen in my time I reckon.

One Day
14-11-2017, 09:51 AM

Me too

Sammy7nil
14-11-2017, 11:26 AM

I would say so too BUT I am coming around to the fact Griffiths just may be a better finisher but Deeks scored some real belters it may be a coin toss.

makaveli1875
14-11-2017, 11:30 AM
I would say so too BUT I am coming around to the fact Griffiths just may be a better finisher but Deeks scored some real belters it may be a coin toss.

its a close call between those 2 , but deek could do it with both feet

eastmainsmsh
14-11-2017, 11:38 AM
Love to have seen deek sparky and big gaz play in the same team at there best

snooky
14-11-2017, 12:00 PM
Love to have seen deek sparky and big gaz play in the same team at there best

Frightening thought - if you're a SPL goalie. :worried:

RIP
14-11-2017, 01:10 PM

You could easily make 2 YouTube compilations of Leight. One would be goals with left foot the other with right foot.

Haymaker
14-11-2017, 01:16 PM

:agree: defo

hibbysam
14-11-2017, 01:36 PM

Leigh’s finish against Dundee United at Easter road with his right foot on the volley was as good a finish as you’ll see.

allezsauzee
14-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Deeks is the most naturally talented footballer produced by Hibs in the last 30 odd years. Sadly he's not been fit enough to play at our standard the last 6 years or so.

hibs#1
14-11-2017, 01:57 PM
Leigh’s finish against Dundee United at Easter road with his right foot on the volley was as good a finish as you’ll see.

Outstanding goal.great cross by Eoin Doyle if i remember correctly.

MrSmith
14-11-2017, 02:59 PM
I'd have him back in a shot! However, he should be coaching Hibs youth teams.

snooky
14-11-2017, 03:18 PM

Leigh’s finish against anybody is as good a finish as you’ll see. :not worth

Sir David Gray
14-11-2017, 03:25 PM
Riordan's goal against Hearts at Easter Road from about 25 yards is one of the best strikes of a ball I have ever seen.

eastcoasthibby
14-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Maybe could come on for free kicks.

American football style apart from that he is well past his sell by date at this level , but no doubting it he was a talented player who wasted to much of his career on the bench and fitness wise ..

CRAZYHIBBY
14-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Hes done.....game over

Hibernia&Alba
14-11-2017, 04:48 PM
Sir Deek, the man, the legend. Get him on board as a coach :agree:

4 Front Teeth
14-11-2017, 04:54 PM
Seemed like he was doing well at Edinburgh City.... I wonder why he didn't just stay and enjoy playing locally.....?

frazeHFC
14-11-2017, 04:59 PM

Deek for me, although what a quality pair! We'll be lucky to have anyone similar again any time soon.

calumhibee1
14-11-2017, 05:31 PM

I loved Deeks but Sparky was a better finisher IMO.

The_Exile
14-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Both phenomenal finishers but I'd say Deek was the better natural finisher IMO. His goal against Hearts at Tynecastle where it came to him diagonally through the air (from a great cross by Murphy I think?) and he hits it across to the far post is still to this day one of the best strikes I've ever seen. Flawless technique and made it look effortless. Was right in line with it behind the goals in the Roseburn and was aware then how sweet a hit that was, flew into the corner of the net like a bullet. Plenty more I could wax lyrical about, ones that spring to mind are against the Hearts at ER, Aberdeen at Pittodrie and the goal against Dundee at ER at the 4-4 game which was bizzarely chopped off for offside. Great memories.

eastmainsmsh
14-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Deeks was pure class

Billy Whizz
14-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Best scorer of goals for 20/30 years at Hibs

monktonharp
15-11-2017, 12:42 AM
Best scorer of goals for 20/30 years at Hibs:agree: I am now approaching the wrong side of my Sixties, seen some fantastic players at our club but Derek Riordan is up there with Stanton and O'Rourke for me. some of his goals were sublime.

Unseen work
15-11-2017, 06:44 AM
The term natural ability really annoys me and is one what I see a lot regarding Deek.

No one is born being able to whip a free kick into the top corner from 30 yards.

He put in a lot of effort and hours on the training field and fellow pro’s have even said he practiced every day how he struck the ball and what technique to use. Whether it was normal play or free kicks.

He scored over 100 for us, he’s a legend.

Onceinawhile
15-11-2017, 06:51 AM
Both a scorer of great goals and a great goalscorer.

I wish he was just coming back now like whitts after some time down south, but im delighted we got out of him what we did.

jacomo
15-11-2017, 10:19 PM
The term natural ability really annoys me and is one what I see a lot regarding Deek.

No one is born being able to whip a free kick into the top corner from 30 yards.

He put in a lot of effort and hours on the training field and fellow pro’s have even said he practiced every day how he struck the ball and what technique to use. Whether it was normal play or free kicks.

No one is going to get on even the lowest rung of the professional football ladder without putting the hours in, but innate ability does matter too.

Touch, awareness, anticipation, physique, pace can all be worked on but some just have it.

Riordan had it for sure.

Sir David Gray
15-11-2017, 10:24 PM

I agree that you have to put the work in to improve your game but there's parts of being a footballer which I believe are just borne out of having a natural instinct.

There's a lot of people out there who would never have been as good at scoring goals as Derek Riordan, regardless of how much work they put in during training.

FilipinoHibs
15-11-2017, 10:31 PM
I agree that you have to put the work in to improve your game but there's parts of being a footballer which I believe are just borne out of having a natural instinct.

There's a lot of people out there who would never have been as good at scoring goals as Derek Riordan, regardless of how much work they put in during training.

The basic skills are gained by 12. Giordano must have kicked a lot of balls by that my age but must have had a passion and love for the game and was a keen student of it.

Firestarter
15-11-2017, 10:57 PM
So has Derek retired from the game then? If so I would put it to the fans reps the club should acknowledge this. Not many players live the dream and score over 100 goals for Hibernian. There's not many players who do that in Scotland full stop.

Haymaker
15-11-2017, 11:53 PM
So is he coming home?! :hyper

jdships
16-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Hes done.....game over

Yup afraid so

Diclonius
16-11-2017, 12:56 PM
Griffiths is the best Hibs player I have ever seen in the flesh. Only caught Riordan's second spell.

vuefrom1875
16-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Griffiths is the best Hibs player I have ever seen in the flesh. Only caught Riordan's second spell.

Seen them both my friend from the outset and I can honestly say deeks was an absolute pleasure to watch.... Right foot /left foot (and the odd header) and his technical ability was sometimes a spectical in itself. Deeks for me..... P.S.Sparky is still a legend in my book as well... Clue common denominator...Love sticking it up the Tramps!!

Firestarter
16-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Riordan should have been twice the player as Sparky.

Ironically Leigh was released for having a Riordan attitude and is his absolute hero.

Derek Riordan or Leigh Griffiths?

Derek Riordan.

erin go bragh
16-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Deeks left foot volley against Dundee was better . Wrongly chopped off for offside. Imo .

Firestarter
16-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Deeks left foot volley against Dundee was better . Wrongly chopped off for offside. Imo .

To make it 4-1. Sure we drew that game.

His best goal for me was the goal when we lost 2-1 at the shelter. Craig Gordon didn't even move.

His goal on his return against Hamilton away was special too.

calumhibee1
16-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Riordan should have been twice the player as Sparky.

Ironically Leigh was released for having a Riordan attitude and is his absolute hero.

Derek Riordan or Leigh Griffiths?

Derek Riordan.

Not for me, nowhere near it. Griffiths is an even better striker of the ball than deek imo. Similar levels of accuracy with Griffiths having more power. Sparkys all round game is also much better. Still loved Riordan though.

Is It On....
16-11-2017, 10:41 PM

LG and DR are both brilliant goal scorers and after the poverty of strikers I grew up watching in the 80s and 90s (with one major exception) some of the young uns' don't know how lucky we are to be able to have this debate 🙂 P.s. Archigod (the exception) was brilliant and scored one of my favourite goals of all time !!

Firestarter
16-11-2017, 10:47 PM
Not for me, nowhere near it. Griffiths is an even better striker of the ball than deek imo. Similar levels of accuracy with Griffiths having more power. Sparkys all round game is also much better. Still loved Riordan though.

Leigh has worked on his game. Watching and knowing him from a very young age he's surprised loads of people and deserves everything he gets. When he was coming through the same as Riordan I didn't think Leigh would apply himself, he has though and I stick to it, if Derek Riordan done similar he would have been twice the player he is that talented. And Leigh's hero.

truehibernian
16-11-2017, 10:50 PM

How many has Leigh scored with his right ? Compare with how many Derek scored with his left.

They were different players in my opinion Calum, Leigh very focused on being a striker and getting shots in - Derek was so graceful and had technique that defied logic at times. Criminal that he didn't have the sheer enthusiasm Leigh has though. Loved watching Derek and one of the best players to have graced Easter Road.

Derek the far far better footballer, Leigh has more drive and desire to play the game though.

Firestarter
16-11-2017, 11:11 PM
How many has Leigh scored with his right ? Compare with how many Derek scored with his left.

They were different players in my opinion Calum, Leigh very focused on being a striker and getting shots in - Derek was so graceful and had technique that defied logic at times. Criminal that he didn't have the sheer enthusiasm Leigh has though. Loved watching Derek and one of the best players to have graced Easter Road.

Derek the far far better footballer, Leigh has more drive and desire to play the game though.

Spot on. Unfortunately.

My_Wife_Camille
16-11-2017, 11:19 PM

Deek score 26% with his left, Leigh 18% with his right. Agree with everything you say btw

Johnny_Leith
17-11-2017, 04:34 AM

I disagree, I think Griffiths is the better player.

I think it's shown at the level he's playing at too, champions league and international regularly.

Both great goalscorers and scorers of great goals, and good hibees!

Heisenberg
17-11-2017, 06:45 AM
For me there’s no doubt that Griffiths is a better player. Riordan was absolutely class for us though, it’s just a shame that he could’ve played at a higher level but it didn’t work out. If he’d looked after himself properly he could still be playing now at our level.

blackpoolhibs
17-11-2017, 06:55 AM
Both fantastic players in their pomp, Griffiths shades it for me, although it's no bad thing being 2nd in that poll.

Both get a :top marksfrom me.

JimBHibees
17-11-2017, 06:56 AM

Very good summary. :agree:

SunshineOnLeith
17-11-2017, 07:09 AM
Griffiths > Cummings > Riordan

Firestarter
17-11-2017, 08:05 AM

Never.

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Depends what they're being judged on.

Natural ability - Derek Riordan
Ability with a determination to be the best you can - Leigh Griffiths

Playing with Hibs both were fantastic and LG can probably count himself unlucky that he's played in one of the worst hibs team's and still managed greater than a 2:1 ratio. whereas DR was fortunate to come through with a great group of players then even when he returned we had a pretty good side.

Both have given us spectacular goals against hearts, match winners, hat tricks top corner screamers but both were whingy and lazy at times.

Reading up on Riordan it's actually scary that he effectively retired after playing for us. 50 games he's played in the 6 years since he left us. What a shame. A poster alluded to it above but if he has half the determination/attitude call it whatever you want, Darren Fletcher has it as well he'd have made one helluva career for himself.

Tough to split but for their time with hibs, Riordan wins for me

HIBEES 4 LIFE
17-11-2017, 01:38 PM

Cummings not in the same stratosphere as the other 2. Just not that good.

Riordan better ability, Griffiths better attitude/work ethic. Tough call

calumhibee1
17-11-2017, 01:46 PM
For me there’s no doubt that Griffiths is a better player. Riordan was absolutely class for us though, it’s just a shame that he could’ve played at a higher level but it didn’t work out. If he’d looked after himself properly he could still be playing now at our level.

This is where I’m at. Griffiths to me is better in every aspect of his game near enough other than with his weak foot. But even then you could argue Sparky is better with his head instead. Quicker, stronger, every bit as good a finisher, probably a better football player (touch, dribbling etc) with more power in his shooting. I loved Riordan but there’s only one winner here for me.

Northernhibee
17-11-2017, 01:52 PM
If Riordan had Sparky's attitude and application he could have played for any team of these isles.

Smartie
17-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Cummings has time on his side, and a medal that the other 2 would kill for.

midfield_maestro
17-11-2017, 04:44 PM

:faf:

Jason had some great seasons with us, but unlike the other two he hasn't scored in the SPL.

Anyway, back to the original point - I think Griffiths is the better all round player, he was a huge goal threat as part of a team that was really toiling. Riordan was the purer striker of the ball.

17-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Unreal talent, he could hit them from anywhere. Really didn't have the career he should of had but neverthless he will always be a hibs legend.

Hibrandenburg
17-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Griffiths by a country mile. He's pretty much first choice for the national team and deservedly so.

Stokesy's on fire
17-11-2017, 06:22 PM
Derek Riordan is God!

TheHarpy76
17-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Great player for us but are some on here seriously suggesting that he could still do a job for us?

Sad to say it but he’s been finished for quite some time now.

FilipinoHibs
18-11-2017, 06:37 AM
:agree: I am now approaching the wrong side of my Sixties, seen some fantastic players at our club but Derek Riordan is up there with Stanton and O'Rourke for me. some of his goals were sublime.

Watched Hibs for 47 years. The most gifted Scottish player I have seen play for Hibs. The control and long diagonal ball for O'Connor to score against I think Hearts was sublime.

bigwheel
18-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Honestly, Since the Turnbull era, I would say John Collins was better player than both Griffiths and Riordan - Riordan a more natural finisher of the two (two footed), Griffiths a better Number 9