PDA

View Full Version : Wellington Phoenix v Perth Glory

HarpyHibby
12-11-2017, 09:20 AM
I was at the NZ v Peru game yesterday in Wellington and then went to the Phoenix v Glory game today. Went along thinking it’d be a bit of a brutal standard but wasn’t as bad as I’d expected. Phoenix won 5-2, despite going 1 nil down. Decent crowd of just over 6,000 and they even had their own drummer and singing section. In the 80th minute they all whipped their tops off - apparently it’s tradition if they are winning in the 80th minute they all go topless for the rest of the game haha.

My reason for posting though is I hadn’t realised they use video refs and both teams scored as a result of it. The first time was for Glory’s first goal. The keeper made a meal out of a pass back and in a scramble with the striker pushed the ball away with his hand. Play continued for about another 15 seconds and then it was pulled back and an Indirect free kick awarded which they scored from. Secondly, Phoenix scored a penalty awarded for a handball in the box. Again, play continued and then the ref called a halt and took about 2 full minutes to decide that it was in fact a pen.

In the end, both decisions were correct but I just don’t like it. I think it takes away from the rawness of th game. Hope it doesn’t come anywhere near Scotland.

Jones28
12-11-2017, 10:41 AM
I think video refs are the way to go. A lot of our officials are either incapable or not in the position to see decisions that could influence games.

I appreciate the time factor and 2 minutes to come to a decision is a bit of a stretch but in the end if it means there is more clarity in game then I'm allfor it.

Mr White
12-11-2017, 10:48 AM
They need to get it working a bit faster but in principle I think it's the way to go.

As to the A-league I usually enjoy the games I watch on BT. It's a decent standard, the lack of relegation and the cagey approach fear of relegation often creates makes for a lot of open and attacking play. The commentators always talk up the league and the game in general and that enthusiastic approach is something we often lack in the coverage of Scottish football.

Phil MaGlass
12-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Aye, our refs are brutal and not very good at their job, the sooner we have vid ref the better.

Iain G
12-11-2017, 11:08 AM
I was at the NZ v Peru game yesterday in Wellington and then went to the Phoenix v Glory game today. Went along thinking it’d be a bit of a brutal standard but wasn’t as bad as I’d expected. Phoenix won 5-2, despite going 1 nil down. Decent crowd of just over 6,000 and they even had their own drummer and singing section. In the 80th minute they all whipped their tops off - apparently it’s tradition if they are winning in the 80th minute they all go topless for the rest of the game haha.

My reason for posting though is I hadn’t realised they use video refs and both teams scored as a result of it. The first time was for Glory’s first goal. The keeper made a meal out of a pass back and in a scramble with the striker pushed the ball away with his hand. Play continued for about another 15 seconds and then it was pulled back and an Indirect free kick awarded which they scored from. Secondly, Phoenix scored a penalty awarded for a handball in the box. Again, play continued and then the ref called a halt and took about 2 full minutes to decide that it was in fact a pen.

In the end, both decisions were correct but I just don’t like it. I think it takes away from the rawness of th game. Hope it doesn’t come anywhere near Scotland.

Hope you enjoyed the cake tin and the yellow fever! The standard of football is a lot better than most give it credit for I think, getting past the last big pay day for aging international players and starting to grow.

They need the video referee as those Aussies are always cheating you will find 😁

KWJ
12-11-2017, 12:13 PM
I went to Phoenix Glory at Eden Park in 2012-2013. It was pretty brutal but Phoenix won 1-0. Ian Ferguson was Glory manager and Liam Miller was playing.