PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Östersunds FK ... A Feel Good Story

Mcpakeisgod
11-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Bit off topic here, but I was reading the paper the other day and came across a lovely article on this 21 year old team from Sweden.

Östersunds FK Were taken over by English manager Graham Potter in 2011. At this point the team were in the 4th tier of Swedish football (The equivalent of league 2) with the average attendance for that year at 783.

Fast forward 5-6 years later, they find themselves in the top tier finishing a respectable 5th this year. The real feel good point is that after they won the Swedish cup last year booking them a place in the qualifiers of europa league. They now find themselves top of their europa league group with two games to play and a fantastic chance of making the last 32 (beating the mighty panathanaikos and hertha Berlin in the process).

To put there achievements into context, with regards to attendance & league position. This team was the equivalent of Arbroath in 2011.

As much as we hate the fact that money has drained the unpredictability and romance out of some aspects of football. I was delighted to see how these guys have done at home & abroad, and will duly be keeping an eye out on their European exploits in the coming weeks!

Hiber-nation
11-11-2017, 01:50 PM
Bit off topic here, but I was reading the paper the other day and came across a lovely article on this 21 year old team from Sweden.

Östersunds FK Were taken over by English manager Graham Potter in 2011. At this point the team were in the 4th tier of Swedish football (The equivalent of league 2) with the average attendance for that year at 783.

Fast forward 5-6 years later, they find themselves in the top tier finishing a respectable 5th this year. The real feel good point is that after they won the Swedish cup last year booking them a place in the qualifiers of europa league. They now find themselves top of their europa league group with two games to play and a fantastic chance of making the last 32 (beating the mighty panathanaikos and hertha Berlin in the process).

To put there achievements into context, with regards to attendance & league position. This team was the equivalent of Arbroath in 2011.

As much as we hate the fact that money has drained the unpredictability and romance out of some aspects of football. I was delighted to see how these guys have done at home & abroad, and will duly be keeping an eye out on their European exploits in the coming weeks!

Great article on BBC Sport http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41902664

worcesterhibby
11-11-2017, 02:26 PM
One of their English players Curtis Edwards had a trail at Hibs.