PDA

View Full Version : Totally random Hibs game; were you there?

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Just found an old programme of my dad's which has somehow come into my possession.

Motherwell v Hibs (Skol Cup), Tuesday 1st September 1987, kick of 7.30p.m.

Hibernian: Rough, Hunter, Mitchell, Orr, Ray, McIntyre, Weir, Kane, Cowan, Watson, Collins, Bell, McCluskey.

Was it a quarter-final?

Iain G
09-11-2017, 01:38 PM
Just found an old programme of my dad's which has somehow come into my possession.

Hibernian: Rough, Hunter, Mitchell, Orr, Ray, McIntyre, Weir, Kane, Cowan, Watson, Collins, Bell, McCluskey.

Was it a quarter-final?

Yes and we lost 1-0! :agree:

Lancs Harp
09-11-2017, 01:42 PM
No,

12 years before my Hibs debut.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 01:42 PM
Yes and we lost 1-0! :agree:

Old man would have been raging on the way home :greengrin

50p for the 'Well programme. I wonder how much he paid to get in!

Tom Hart RIP
09-11-2017, 01:52 PM
Was that the game Roughie dropped a cross and they scored. If so we signed Andy Goram not long after.
I remember the Hibs fans moaning at Roughie for ages. If so I was there.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 01:54 PM
Was that the game Roughie dropped a cross and they scored. If so we signed Andy Goram not long after.

That would have made his night. He'll still remember that :greengrin

Iain G
09-11-2017, 01:58 PM
That would have made his night. He'll still remember that :greengrin

Certainly the season we signed Goram :agree:

Keith_M
09-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Among my many old programmes, I found one for a game away against Morton, last game of the season 1982.

The weird thing is that I remember this game vividly, mostly for the lack of any discernible crowd (I think there was only about 1,700 there) and going there on The Artisan SC bus ('no party songs, please!').

How come I can remember a football game from 35 years ago, but I frequently forgot the Missus' Birthday?

:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Certainly the season we signed Goram :agree:

Wish I'd been there as big Roughie dropped the ball. The language would have been extraordinary :hilarious

One of his all times favourite players too.

Killiehibbie
09-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Was it a quarter-final?
If it's the game i'm thinking of we got there after kick off heard a roar, jumped the nearest turnstile and watched the rest of the game in the home end.

Peevemor
09-11-2017, 02:07 PM
Among my many old programmes, I found one for a game away against Morton, last game of the season 1982.

The weird thing is that I remember this game vividly, mostly for the lack of any discernible crowd (I think there was only about 1,700 there) and going there on The Artisan SC bus ('no party songs, please!').

How come I can remember a football game from 35 years ago, but I frequently forgot the Missus' Birthday?

I was there (0-0 draw) - I remember it most for being Ally MacLeod's last game for Hibs.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 02:07 PM

I didn't think you were that auld, mate. 1982

G B Young
09-11-2017, 02:17 PM

Was it a quarter-final?

Some decent enough players in there, but with Cowan and McCluskey up front our strike force wasn't exactly the nippiest...was Gareth Evans around then? Think we signed Steve Archibald the following year.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Some decent enough players in there, but with Cowan and McCluskey up front our strike force wasn't exactly the nippiest...was Gareth Evans around then? Think we signed Steve Archibald the following year.

Aye, pre-Goram and Archiegoal. Imagine Hibs signing players of that calibre now!

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Just thinking what a year 1987 was for news:

Big freeze winter 1986-87
March, Herald of Free Enterprise ferry disaster
May, Thatcher won third term
August, Hungerford massacre
October, great storm in England
October, huge stock market crash
November, Kings Cross fire disaster
November, Enniskillen IRA bomb

Delboy4
09-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Yes I was there.

I remember running out Fir Park as soon as the final whistle went, absolute crap game! Was there with my bosses two sons who
were slightly older than me. One of them drove a brand new black Opel Manta, he was so pissed off with the result he was doing 120mph along the M8, to say I was quiet sitting
in the back is an understatement!!! :shocked:

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Yes I was there.

I remember running out Fir Park as soon as the final whistle went, absolute crap game! Was there with my bosses two sons who
were slightly older than me. One of them drove a brand new black Opel Manta, he was so pissed off with the result he was doing 120mph along the M8, to say I was quiet sitting
in the back is an understatement!!! :shocked:

And you would have been a young whippersnapper of 21. Memories light the corners of my mind........:greengrin

My old man was only 35; in his prime

scoopyboy
09-11-2017, 03:54 PM

Was it a quarter-final?

Yep, drove through in my Ford Capri.

Pretty sure watched Tom McKean blowing a big athletics race before I left Macmerry.

scoopyboy
09-11-2017, 03:55 PM

He dropped 6 eggs in Gifford store around the same time. :greengrin

stantonsboots
09-11-2017, 03:56 PM
Yes and we lost 1-0! :agree:I think I was there? if I remember correctly alex miller played mickey weir through the middle against motherwells 2 giant centre halfs?

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Yep, drove through in my Ford Capri.

Pretty sure watched Tom McKean blowing a big athletics race before I left Macmerry.

Ford Capri? You must have been loaded. Most folk up here had nae shoes during the high water mark of Thatcherism.

Bishop Hibee
09-11-2017, 04:04 PM
I was there. Dire. We played them at Fir Park a month later and lost 1-0 too.

Peevemor
09-11-2017, 04:04 PM

Was it a quarter-final?

My mates went through but I couldn't go as I was whoring my piping skills at a tartantastic, stick-a-sprig-of-heather-in-your-hoop tourist show at Prestonfield House.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Anyone know the attendance?

Peevemor
09-11-2017, 04:18 PM

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=5473

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 04:21 PM

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=5473

Cheers, mate. Not a bad crowd at all.

andybev1
09-11-2017, 04:24 PM
http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/
Great site - I found my first game on this site, gives results for a loooong time ago. no doubt you will find result you are looking for here.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 04:27 PM
The match programme has a panoramic photo of Fir Park on the cover; back when both ends behind the goals were open terracing and the East Stand was also terracing, so only their Main Stand was seating. Not good for watching in the rain.

andybev1
09-11-2017, 04:31 PM
found it I think, which backs up what others remember: http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game_search.php?game=game&opp=10&comp=3&ven=A&sfrom=26&sto=25&res=0&stype=g&s=0&atype=g&a=0&mtype=g&m=0&limit=10&order=0&submit=Search

arrgh I now see I was too slow!

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 04:38 PM
found it I think, which backs up what others remember: http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game_search.php?game=game&opp=10&comp=3&ven=A&sfrom=26&sto=25&res=0&stype=g&s=0&atype=g&a=0&mtype=g&m=0&limit=10&order=0&submit=Search

arrgh I now see I was too slow!

Still a good effort.

By the way, can you still get Skol lager?

andybev1
09-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Still a good effort.

By the way, can you still get Skol lager?

thx :thumbsup:

It seems so: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/271750704

I prefer a reassuringly more expensive pint myself.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 04:53 PM
thx :thumbsup:

It seems so: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/271750704

I prefer a reassuringly more expensive pint myself.

Shocking stuff; haven't seen it in years. Only 2.8% though; not surprised it doesn't sell in Scotland :greengrin

Keith_M
09-11-2017, 06:05 PM
I didn't think you were that auld, mate. 1982

Obviously I was only about 2 at the time

:wink:

hibs#1
09-11-2017, 06:07 PM
No wasn't born yet 😁

BILLYHIBS
09-11-2017, 06:21 PM

Was it a quarter-final?

Iwas at that game. I am sure that was one of Andy Watson first games since his transfer from Hearts.
I remember he got showered in spittal when he came across to our end to take a throw in.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Iwas at that game. I am sure that was one of Andy Watson first games since his transfer from Hearts.
I remember he got showered in spittal when he came across to our end to take a throw in.

It might actually have been his debut. Anyone?

Craigmount Hibs
09-11-2017, 06:27 PM
I was there. Skived the last hour of college for the privilege. We wore our white p&d windows away shirt that night iirc. One of my favourite strips.

Craigmount Hibs
09-11-2017, 06:30 PM
It might actually have been his debut. Anyone?

Yup, it was his debut. And he did get pelters.

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2017, 06:34 PM
I was 15 at the time and loved these few years as a Hibby.

Looking back we had some cracking players around then.

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2017, 06:36 PM
Shocking stuff; haven't seen it in years. Only 2.8% though; not surprised it doesn't sell in Scotland :greengrin

They had some cracking adverts though.

Hagar the Horrible, the wee dug, Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol....

Edit, maybe not so cracking after all...

https://youtu.be/On0IImHTTNY

oneone73
09-11-2017, 06:52 PM
I might have been there, can't remember. And I have no memory of a player caled Ray?

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 06:57 PM
They had some cracking adverts though.

Hagar the Horrible, the wee dug, Skol, Skol, Skol, Skol....

Edit, maybe not so cracking after all...

https://youtu.be/On0IImHTTNY

God I remember that advert!

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2017, 07:25 PM
I had the T Shirt!

Mind the McEwans Export adverts, Cinzano, Hamlet etc.

Brilliant. Bring back ads for drinks. :cb

jabis
09-11-2017, 08:08 PM
My mates went through but I couldn't go as I was whoring my piping skills at a tartantastic, stick-a-sprig-of-heather-in-your-hoop tourist show at Prestonfield House.

[QUOTE=Peevemor;5216035]8738

Must've been a hell of a big sprig in yer hoop to get that attendance.:not worth

Nakedmanoncrack
09-11-2017, 08:17 PM
I might have been there, can't remember. And I have no memory of a player caled Ray?

Exactly my initial thought until realising it's Gordon Rae.

scm70nyd1973
09-11-2017, 08:27 PM

The attendances were pretty low at Prestonfield in these days!

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 08:29 PM
Exactly my initial thought until realising it's Gordon Rae.

Aye, it will have been. Spelt in the programme as Ray :greengrin

G B Young
09-11-2017, 08:46 PM
The line-up reminds me of how much longer many players (and managers!) stayed with a club in those days. Rae had already been with us for a good number of years, while Geebsie, Collins, Weir and Kane had also become experienced first-teamers having broken through as youngsters and Mitchell, Orr and McIntyre were still with us a good number of years later.

Alex Miller had only been in charge for about a year and was still building a team, one which would qualify for Europe the following season and win the Skol Cup a couple of years after that. Overall, he had a pretty good eye when it came to signings.

As somebody else has mentioned, it's amazing how much you can remember when it comes to football compared to other stuff in your life and I recall being quite excited a few months before this game when Miller made a triple swoop for Mitchell, McIntyre and Bell and was rewarded with an impressive 3-1 (I think) win at Brockville.

bigwheel
09-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Yup, it was his debut. And he did get pelters.

Was there too - think he played right midfield....remember he got some decent support too...not huge pelters

Did alright on his debut iirc....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Argylehibby
09-11-2017, 10:52 PM
I was at that one. Missed the goal as we arrived late and it went downhill from there.

Forza Fred
10-11-2017, 04:55 AM
Just thinking what a year 1987 was for news:

Big freeze winter 1986-87
March, Herald of Free Enterprise ferry disaster
May, Thatcher won third term
August, Hungerford massacre
October, great storm in England
October, huge stock market crash
November, Kings Cross fire disaster
November, Enniskillen IRA bomb

1987 was the year the Australia branch of the Hibs Supporters Association was formed.

Many antipodean Hibbies still recovering from our recent 30th anniversary celebrations where Oz resident Grant Brebner was special guest of honour.

Yorkshire HFC
10-11-2017, 05:37 AM
The memory is strange - this thread has reminded me of a Morton game which I'm sure was my brothers first time at Easter Road - it must have been mid 1970s when crowds were probably about 4 - 5 thousand for these games. I remember that Hibs were one down going into the final minutes and the physio had come on to treat a player - I heard him screaming in very colourful language at the players to get forward and I remember being shocked that someone associated with the Hibs team would use that sort of language!

i've not thought about that for 40 years. Can't remember if we equalised or not though.

FilipinoHibs
10-11-2017, 05:45 AM
Aye, pre-Goram and Archiegoal. Imagine Hibs signing players of that calibre now!
Goram debut against Dunfermline in 4-0. Made a great save flying through the air save to tip a long range shot over the bar. Next weekend great storm and stock market crash. And we ended 22 in a row. Took my cousin from Brasil and stood in the East. He said fans much crazier than Brasil.

Nakedmanoncrack
10-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Goram debut against Dunfermline in 4-0. Made a great save flying through the air save to tip a long range shot over the bar. Next weekend great storm and stock market crash. And we ended 22 in a row. Took my cousin from Brasil and stood in the East. He said fans much crazier than Brasil.

Wasn't 22 in a row that ended in 1987, was an earlier marginally less horrendous run.

Hibernia&Alba
11-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Was it the winter of 1986-87 where games were postponed for weeks, due to the weather?

tamig
11-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Wasn't 22 in a row that ended in 1987, was an earlier marginally less horrendous run.

Eddie May and Kano scored I think. That was some celebration. First time we’d beaten them since they’d come back up.

weecounty hibby
11-11-2017, 08:17 PM
The line-up reminds me of how much longer many players (and managers!) stayed with a club in those days. Rae had already been with us for a good number of years, while Geebsie, Collins, Weir and Kane had also become experienced first-teamers having broken through as youngsters and Mitchell, Orr and McIntyre were still with us a good number of years later.

Alex Miller had only been in charge for about a year and was still building a team, one which would qualify for Europe the following season and win the Skol Cup a couple of years after that. Overall, he had a pretty good eye when it came to signings.

As somebody else has mentioned, it's amazing how much you can remember when it comes to football compared to other stuff in your life and I recall being quite excited a few months before this game when Miller made a triple swoop for Mitchell, McIntyre and Bell and was rewarded with an impressive 3-1 (I think) win at Brockville.

Mitchell McIntyre and Bells debuts were indeed at Brockville about the 4th/5th January after the ne'erday derby had been cancelled I think. Absolutely massive Hibs crowd that day on a cold day and a great victory in which Dougie Bell looked the better of the three signings but turned out to be the worst!

erin go bragh
12-11-2017, 02:31 PM
Yes . Missed their early goal and can't remember much else about that game .

Nakedmanoncrack
13-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Eddie May and Kano scored I think. That was some celebration. First time we’d beaten them since they’d come back up.

Admit to some exuberance after that game, briefly appearing on the pitch from the terracing at full time. Was only second time I'd seen us beat them, 8 years after the first, which was my derby debut.

Hibernia&Alba
13-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Admit to some exuberance after that game, briefly appearing on the pitch from the terracing at full time. Was only second time I'd seen us beat them, 8 years after the first, which was my derby debut.

I hope Hearts released a statement :tee hee:

As for the Skol Cup game at Motherwell in 1987, my dad has no memory of it. Not surprising, given the number of games he's attended over the years. I have games which I know I attended but remember nothing of.

Waxy
13-11-2017, 06:59 PM
Same here. Scottish cup at Easter road then had to wait till 87.What a celebration.

Joe6-2
13-11-2017, 10:11 PM

What's more important? 😬

Is It On....
14-11-2017, 08:05 AM

Was it a quarter-final?

My dad took me as it was the day before my 17th birthday. Can't remember much about it except Neil Orr's tache'. The 1st September 1989 was much more memorable as I went too see the Inspiral Carpets at the Venue (supported by the Brideswell Taxi's I think) 😎