PDA

View Full Version : Lennon: We should be top

G B Young
09-11-2017, 09:54 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/neil-lennon-hibs-exceeding-expectations-but-we-should-be-top-1-4606456

I'm aware this story is a few days' old so apologies if it's already been discussed. I just feel that this sort of talk underlines why Lennon is playing such a big part in instilling a different mindset at the club. No question we've become almost a new club since the momentous Scottish Cup win, but Lennon's 'big time' thinking has, I feel, really started to make the players realise they needn't settle for second best.

Clearly, winning the league would be unthinkable given Celtic's overwhelming dominance, but the fact Lennon isn't satisfied with third at this stage of the season is very refreshing. And he's actually right! We probably should be top. We dropped a lot of points in that first quarter. Mind you, I'd rather start slow and build up a head of steam than start with a bang and fall away as so many Hibs sides in the past have done.

WeeRussell
09-11-2017, 11:37 AM
I agree with you in that it's good to see Lennon thinks highly of where the team is at and it all adds to the feel-good factor and momentum we have just now.

We shouldn't be top though. We're not the only team who has dropped points when we really shouldn't have. Aberdeen and Celtic have made their performances count more, have been more consistent and are therefore rightfully above us... for now :greengrin

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-11-2017, 11:41 AM
We should have more points but as that is in the past we should be happy with what we have and try to make sure that we don't make the same mistakes again. We have only been outplayed once IMO and that was against Hamilton.

SirDavidsNapper
09-11-2017, 02:21 PM
We should have more points but then so should Celtic

andybev1
09-11-2017, 02:40 PM
The only flaw with what he said was that we dropped 6 pointd when we drew with celtic and I think it was Motherwell, but I remember thinking at the time that we only dropped 4 points since we did get two points from those two games - whether that would have been enough to still put us top is another thing.

Fergus52
09-11-2017, 02:57 PM
The only flaw with what he said was that we dropped 6 pointd when we drew with celtic and I think it was Motherwell, but I remember thinking at the time that we only dropped 4 points since we did get two points from those two games - whether that would have been enough to still put us top is another thing.

It was the Dundee, st Johnstone and Motherwell games that he mentioned.

All were draws that should have been wins so 6 points dropped.

hughio
09-11-2017, 03:05 PM

Correct.

And so is NL.

OP is right to bring this to light.
Positive thinking.
No reason we should settle for second best.
Celtcs record due to be popped when they visit in December.

:flag::flag::flag:

Hibbyradge
09-11-2017, 03:36 PM
No reason we should settle for second best.

I can think of a few reasons.

63 and counting actually.

andybev1
09-11-2017, 03:58 PM

fair enough :thumbsup:

ancient hibee
09-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Makes a change to have a manager who doesn’t hold back in getting the club into the headlines regularly.

heretoday
09-11-2017, 06:40 PM
If any other Hibs manager had said this in the past, you can be sure we'd get humped in our next game. Somehow with this guy it's different.

How about Hibs to do a Leicester City this season? We're 200/1 or thereabouts.

WhileTheChief..
09-11-2017, 06:51 PM
I’m impressed that he always talks about the future.

He’s building something here and I’m convinced he’ll win us more silverware. He’s in no hurry to leave.

If we can be with 10 points of the top that’s huge progress. Next season 5, then so on till we win the damn thing :)

DarlingtonHibee
10-11-2017, 12:36 PM
I’m impressed that he always talks about the future.

He’s building something here and I’m convinced he’ll win us more silverware. He’s in no hurry to leave.

If we can be with 10 points of the top that’s huge progress. Next season 5, then so on till we win the damn thing :)
Agreed best manager for a long time. Only worry is is Rodgers leaves...

AgentDaleCooper
10-11-2017, 01:03 PM
Agreed best manager for a long time. Only worry is is Rodgers leaves...

Rogers will be there for another 18 months at least, probably another 2 seasons after this IMO.

over the line
10-11-2017, 09:02 PM
If any other Hibs manager had said this in the past, you can be sure we'd get humped in our next game. Somehow with this guy it's different.

How about Hibs to do a Leicester City this season? We're 200/1 or thereabouts.

Might just chuck a quid on it, why not!