PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Game Tonight

Pages : [1] 2

LustForLeith
09-11-2017, 08:38 AM
A bit out of touch with Scotland, but anyone heard the rumour doing the rounds about the starting eleven for tonight?

No McGinn, Hanlon or Jason starting. Quite an emphasis of Aberdeen players I believe with the game being up there.

Argylehibby
09-11-2017, 08:40 AM
A bit out of touch with Scotland, but anyone heard the rumour doing the rounds about the starting eleven for tonight?

No McGinn, Hanlon or Jason starting. Quite an emphasis of Aberdeen players I believe with the game being up there.

Not heard anything other than McKay saying 2 Dons players are starting tonight. Nowt to do with getting fans in though......

bingo70
09-11-2017, 08:44 AM
Not heard anything other than McKay saying 2 Dons players are starting tonight. Nowt to do with getting fans in though......

Tbf Aberdeen are sitting second in the league and are a really good side just now. Doesn’t seem unreasonable for them to have two players in the team.

Oscar T Grouch
09-11-2017, 08:47 AM
On twitter this morning that Jack is starting 😳
I really don’t see what MM sees in this player.

LustForLeith
09-11-2017, 08:51 AM
On twitter this morning that Jack is starting 😳
I really don’t see what MM sees in this player.

I think he'll be in at right back :wink:

stoneyburn hibs
09-11-2017, 08:55 AM
I think he'll be in at right back :wink:

Correct, which is nuts as he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad.

I'd be surprised if MM doesn't get the job on a permanent basis, given that he's been allowed to completely clear out the backroom staff. SFA are a joke.

Brightside
09-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Tbf Aberdeen are sitting second in the league and are a really good side just now. Doesn’t seem unreasonable for them to have two players in the team.

Depends who those two players are. Christie yes... anyone else? Nope.

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-11-2017, 09:51 AM
If the game was at ER we'd all be crying out for our players to get a start. I've no issues with us giving players from the consistently 2nd best team in the country, a chance at that level. Thoroughly deserve the chance to represent their country at their home stadium.

At least we know if they do fail, it wont be for a lack of effort. Get 11 hungry and eager to impress on the park and see how they do in a FRIENDLY!!

Ryan Jack at RB seems a joke but then I've never seen him play there....

calumhibee1
09-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Aberdeen may be the second best team in the country but John McGinn is by a considerable distance the best Scottish midfielder in the country outwith Celtic and arguably every bit as good as the Celtic midfielders and should be in the team well ahead of any of the Aberdeen players.

Green Badger
09-11-2017, 10:02 AM
Aberdeen may be the second best team in the country but John McGinn is by a considerable distance the best Scottish midfielder in the country outwith Celtic and arguably every bit as good as the Celtic midfielders and should be in the team well ahead of any of the Aberdeen players.

Agreed. I think McGinn definitely deserves another start for Scotland ahead of any Aberdeen players.

MWHIBBIES
09-11-2017, 10:36 AM
McGinn hasnt been the best Scottish midfielder at Hibs this season. He is good but he isnt well ahead of guys who have been finishing 2nd for 3 years now.

easty
09-11-2017, 10:41 AM
McGinn hasnt been the best Scottish midfielder at Hibs this season. He is good but he isnt well ahead of guys who have been finishing 2nd for 3 years now.

I rate McLean, Shinnie and particularly Christie...wouldn't swap any of them for McGinn though.

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Exactly. He also wasn't our best player in the Scottish Championship last season.

That is in no way a dig at SJM. He has a bright future ahead of him but IMO some on here go way over the top with praise for the lad.

SouthMoroccoStu
09-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Is it on TV?

calumhibee1
09-11-2017, 10:47 AM

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that front. Aberdeen have finished second because they’ve got good players all over the park, not cause any of the three players called up are immensely talented. IMO John McGinn is an considerably better player than they 3 and Aberdeen would be a better team with McGinn in their team ahead of any of there own players. McGinn has also shown in his appearances for Scotland how good he is and as such should be ahead of them.

B.H.F.C
09-11-2017, 10:53 AM
From Hibs point of view I'll be happy to see McGinn on the bench. He's been struggling a bit with injuries. Would be surprised if he didn't get a decent run out though.

Souter96Mac
09-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Thought Griffiths and Fletcher have both pulled out, who's playing upfront then if JC isn't starting? Will we go with the trusty 4-5-0?

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Thought Griffiths and Fletcher have both pulled out, who's playing upfront then if JC isn't starting? Will we go with the trusty 4-5-0?

phillips

Firestarter
09-11-2017, 11:07 AM
NI game more important imo.

silverhibee
09-11-2017, 11:07 AM
1-5 Holland

LustForLeith
09-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Depends who those two players are. Christie yes... anyone else? Nope.

McLean and Jack was at Aberdeen

DarlingtonHibee
09-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Sad to say it but don't give a damn about the national team, I'd rather have John resting up.

LustForLeith
09-11-2017, 11:21 AM
phillips

Phillips up front with McGregor behind him apparently

Smartie
09-11-2017, 11:25 AM
I thought McLean was outstanding against us the other week.

I don't really get the fuss. It's s friendly, we've not qualified for the World Cup and need to look to the future. Why not give a few new players a chance?

If they're pish, we just don't pick them again.

Brummie_Hibs
09-11-2017, 11:33 AM
Sad to say it but don't give a damn about the national team, I'd rather have John resting up.

But you took the time to open the thread, which was clearly about Scotland, and reply to it....

Strange!

bingo70
09-11-2017, 11:35 AM
NI game more important imo.

For Scotland?

Fwiw I think You may well be right as I think we’ll go for Michael O’neill As soon as they’re out.

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Thankfully John Disagrees.

FranckSuzy
09-11-2017, 11:43 AM
Is it on TV?

Sky :aok:

SeanWilson
09-11-2017, 11:44 AM
phillips

ffs

Argylehibby
09-11-2017, 11:56 AM

I agree but the fact that MM while denying that the inclusion was to get fans in to watch tonight reveals two are starting contradicts what he was saying.

California-Hibs
09-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Look at all the predictable negativity as usual..

worcesterhibby
09-11-2017, 12:07 PM
It's a nothing Friendly ...I hope Hanlon and particularly McGinn are on the bench, they both need a rest.

B.H.F.C
09-11-2017, 12:17 PM
Look at all the predictable negativity as usual..

On a night when we really should be in a meaningful play off game, a friendly in Aberdeen, with a caretaker manager who splits opinion, is hardly going to excite the nation.

easty
09-11-2017, 12:23 PM
On a night when we really should be in a meaningful play off game, a friendly in Aberdeen, with a caretaker manager who splits opinion, is hardly going to excite the nation.

and a team picked based on where the game is being played...

BegbieHSC
09-11-2017, 12:33 PM
I really hope we win, but that rumoured lineup is so suspect

It's meant to be:

Gordon
Jack---Tierney---Berra----Robertson
McLean----Armstrong
Christie----McGregor----Forrest
Phillips

I mean, come on? What even is that?

The_Horde
09-11-2017, 12:38 PM

It's meant to be:

Gordon
McLean----Armstrong
Phillips

Mental. Totally mental. Midfield will get walked all over and square pegs in round holes to fit certain players in yet again at the back. Even Celtic don't play Tierney at CB these days when short.

Only thing there that might work is Phillips up top, he's got a bit of presence and actually held the ball up well for us when played there in his last game.

Iceman1875
09-11-2017, 12:39 PM
I’d play

Archer GK
Patterson RB
Cooper CB
Hanlon CB
Tierney LB
Forrest RM
McGinn CM
Armstrong CM
Christie LM
McGregor AM
Cummings ST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreenNWhiteArmy
09-11-2017, 12:52 PM

It's meant to be:

Gordon
McLean----Armstrong
Phillips

That's worse than a Craig Levein line up that!

IMO we'll take a beaten if this is true

Hiber-nation
09-11-2017, 01:05 PM

And Matt Phillips...

yonder1875
09-11-2017, 01:10 PM

McGinn has been the best Scottish midfielder for Hibs this season.

JimBHibees
09-11-2017, 01:10 PM
John McGinn must be wondering what he has to do to get a start, probably move to Celtc and as for Craig Gordon dear oh dear.

JimBHibees
09-11-2017, 01:12 PM
McGinn has been the best Scottish midfielder for Hibs this season.

Agree definitely has, having a great season IMO.

calumhibee1
09-11-2017, 01:14 PM

This is why I’m finding it hard to have any interest in this. Players being picked because they play for the club who’s stadium were using is embarrassing. McLean is nowhere near international standard and is keeping SJM out the team purely because his home stadium is Pittodrie. SJM is the future of the Scottish midfield along with Armstrong and McGregor, the fact he can’t get a start even though he bitched Erickson around for 90 minutes in his only ever start is scandalous.

And that’s without even getting to the worst decision of the night... Ryan Jack at RB ahead of Paterson or Tierney.

R'Albin
09-11-2017, 01:24 PM

It's meant to be:

Gordon
McLean----Armstrong
Phillips

Whereabouts did you see this?

That's a shocker.

lord bunberry
09-11-2017, 01:26 PM

It's meant to be:

Gordon
McLean----Armstrong
Phillips

If that’s the starting line up I hope to **** we find a new manager soon.

SteveHFC
09-11-2017, 01:41 PM
First Scotland home game i've missed for 4 years.

Would like to see Hanlon and Cummings come on at some point.

Firestarter
09-11-2017, 01:43 PM
For Scotland?

Fwiw I think You may well be right as I think we’ll go for Michael O’neill As soon as they’re out.

Yeah that's what I was meaning mate, hope they get humped.

Break a leg Lafferty.

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 01:47 PM
I’d play

Archer GK
Patterson RB
Cooper CB
Hanlon CB
Tierney LB
Forrest RM
McGinn CM
Armstrong CM
Christie LM
McGregor AM
Cummings ST
If you would play a young team why is Hanlon in your first 11?

Looper
09-11-2017, 02:07 PM

It's meant to be:

Gordon
McLean----Armstrong
Phillips

That I awful. Jack at right back is the stuff of nightmares.

JimBHibees
09-11-2017, 02:09 PM
That I awful. Jack at right back is the stuff of nightmares.

Yep what is the point of that decision he will never play a meaningful game for Scotland in his own position never mind as a right back.

Sylar
09-11-2017, 02:25 PM
To be honest, apart from Jack (RB), Tierney (CB) and Phillips (ST), I like some of the selections, but I do hope this is MacKay's only starting XI. I'm glad to see McLean, Tierney, Robertson, Armstrong, Christie and McGregor all in the starting XI.

If Griffiths were fit, he'd obviously be starting up front rather than Phillips. Tierney and Robertson are both excellent LBs - can either of them play the opposite side? It would definitely be preferable to seeing Tierney in the centre. Failing that, I'd even have Patterson in at RB ahead of Jack!

We've been a bit short on decent CBs for a while now - Hanlon probably merits a shot at CB over Tierney, and perhaps for the future, it would have been nice to have seen the young lad at Rangers (McCrorie) getting a shot as he's looked excellent during the games he's played with them.

I like the midfield, with the exception of Forrest - he can run, sure, but he has little to no end product.

Shocked he's never tried to call up a couple of forwards to replace the injuries - Rhodes probably deserves a chance, as he's been doing well for his club, and surely Cummings merits a shot ahead of Phillips. If you're going to try new things, fine, but don't rely on Phillips to lead the line FFS.

easty
09-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Only thing there that might work is Phillips up top, he's got a bit of presence and actually held the ball up well for us when played there in his last game.

He's pony.

easty
09-11-2017, 02:31 PM
We've been a bit short on decent CBs for a while now - Hanlon probably merits a shot at CB over Tierney, and perhaps for the future, it would have been nice to have seen the young lad at Rangers (McCrorie) getting a shot as he's looked excellent during the games he's played with them.

McCrorie has done **** all to merit a Scotland cap, he's surely miles away from selection.

Newry Hibs
09-11-2017, 02:39 PM
I think it would be good experience for any Hibs player to play international football. Likely to make them a better player if up against decent opposition (I think Holland are, despite recent form - much better than playing Qatar or something). I can see the point of injury risk though.

flash
09-11-2017, 02:41 PM
That team is wrong. It just has to be. I wish I cared enough to be annoyed about it.

Iceman1875
09-11-2017, 03:46 PM

I didn’t mention anything about playing a young team but in fairness Paul is only 27 with a good 8 years ahead of him...

Golden Bear
09-11-2017, 04:47 PM
I've no Northern Irish connections whatsoever but their World Cup qualifier v Switzerland has a bigger TV attraction for me than the Scotland friendly. Sad but true.

Iain G
09-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Malky now confirmed as not being considered for the Scotland Coach job...

Golden Bear
09-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Malky now confirmed as not being considered for the Scotland Coach job...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41934678

A vote of non confidence!?

number9dream
09-11-2017, 05:08 PM

It's meant to be:

Gordon
McLean----Armstrong
Phillips

There's some chatter of a knock for Armstrong, so McGinn comes in from the start...Not from a wholly reliable source.

B.H.F.C
09-11-2017, 05:10 PM
There's some chatter of a knock for Armstrong, so McGinn comes in from the start...Not from a wholly reliable source.

Celtic players all picking up knocks before a friendly. How surprising.

Firestarter
09-11-2017, 05:12 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41934678

A vote of non confidence!?

I wouldn't say so. It took a year to find the right guy for his job so the Ada will be pushing for him to continue.

Golden Bear
09-11-2017, 05:17 PM

There was also fitness doubts about John so if that is the case I'm quite happy that he's not being risked.

calumhibee1
09-11-2017, 05:23 PM
From that squad I'd have had:

Gordon

Paterson Cooper Hanlon Tierney

Armstrong McGinn

Christie McGregor Robertson

Phillips

Phillips only because he's inexplicably gave us no other option than Cummings who I just can't really see doing much at international level yet. And I'd like to see Archer, Fraser and Shinnie at least get a run out. Ryan Jack and Kenny McLean should be absolutely nowhere near a Scotland squad in a million years so the fact they're in the starting line up is mind boggling.

basehibby
09-11-2017, 05:26 PM

Yawn

JimboHibs
09-11-2017, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't say so. It took a year to find the right guy for his job so the Ada will be pushing for him to continue.

Yeah would reckon that's correct,think Paul Lambert may be the next Scotland manager .....

DarlingtonHibee
09-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Yawn

We only have 15 fit players according to the gaffer. If John picks up an injury, he is of course carrying one, It could be serious for us. Hibs first scotland second.

hfc rd
09-11-2017, 06:35 PM
I've no Northern Irish connections whatsoever but their World Cup qualifier v Switzerland has a bigger TV attraction for me than the Scotland friendly. Sad but true.

That’s the game I’m more looking forward to as well.

bingo70
09-11-2017, 06:38 PM
That’s the game I’m more looking forward to as well.

Two mind numbingly boring teams trying not to get beat.

I know they’ve both been very effective at what they do so fair play to them and I realise there’s a lot at stake however I’m not expecting it to be much of a spectacle on the tele.

Absolutely no question itll finish about 5-4 tonight now.

hibee_girl
09-11-2017, 06:44 PM
McGinn starts, Hanlon on the bench.

Cummings on bench too

Billy Whizz
09-11-2017, 06:44 PM
McGinn starts

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 06:46 PM
Why would anyone pick a left back to play centre half, and have a centre half sit on the bench? :confused:

Craig_HFC
09-11-2017, 06:50 PM
Why would anyone pick a left back to play centre half, and have a centre half sit on the bench? :confused:

Or a central midfielder at right back and a winger as a striker when there is a natural right back and a natural striker on the bench?

Weird team selection imo.

LancsHibs
09-11-2017, 06:52 PM

Only a bell end would do such a thing G. Only hope his temporary tenure is very temporary!

HoboHarry
09-11-2017, 06:58 PM
If Paul Hanlon plays tonight we will have 8 full internationalists in our squad. I imagine it's been a while since that was equaled?

ancient hibee
09-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Because like a lot of poor managers he feels it essential to get his best players in the team even if it means playing one out of position.Good managers make a choice and tell one “he’s a better player than you,what are you going to do?”

Sir David Gray
09-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Can someone tell me why Andrew Robertson is playing?

He has actually played more games for Scotland this season than he has for Liverpool and he's not even been injured.

He's undoubtedly a talented player but I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't be playing for your country if you can't get a game for your club.

Brightside
09-11-2017, 07:03 PM
I hope we get hammered. That’s an embarrassing line up of players in the wrong position. Nothing in that makes any sense.

cabbageandribs1875
09-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Malky Mackay is not in the running to become Scotland manager on a full-time basis, Scottish FA chief executive Stewart Regan has confirmed.

thank the lord, bet he's having a wee laugh by involving ryan ****** jack in a national squad

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 07:08 PM
Malky Mackay is not in the running to become Scotland manager on a full-time basis, Scottish FA chief executive Stewart Regan has confirmed.

thank the lord, bet he's having a wee laugh by involving ryan ****** jack in a national squad

If he isn't in being considered for the role then he shouldn't have been put in temporary charge IMO.

pollution
09-11-2017, 07:08 PM
I hope we get hammered. That’s an embarrassing line up of players in the wrong position. Nothing in that makes any sense.
Really?

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Because like a lot of poor managers he feels it essential to get his best players in the team even if it means playing one out of position.Good managers make a choice and tell one “he’s a better player than you,what are you going to do?”

Even that accuse doesn't work as it's Ryan jack we are talking about. He's deliberately shuffled the pack in order to play jack which is ridiculous when Hanlon could have just slotted into cb.

Billy Whizz
09-11-2017, 07:15 PM
1Cillessen
2Fosu-Mensah
3van Dijk
4Rekik
5Aké
10Wijnaldum
6Blind
8Strootman
11Promes
9Babel
7Depay

Brightside
09-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Really?

Really. We have plenty of RBs in the country. And plenty of CHs oh and strikers. But let’s not bother with that eh. SFA are a bunch of utter feckwits

HoboHarry
09-11-2017, 07:17 PM
1Cillessen
2Fosu-Mensah
3van Dijk
4Rekik
5Aké
10Wijnaldum
6Blind
8Strootman
11Promes
9Babel
7Depay
Are these anagrams?

bingo70
09-11-2017, 07:20 PM
Can someone tell me why Andrew Robertson is playing?

He has actually played more games for Scotland this season than he has for Liverpool and he's not even been injured.

He's undoubtedly a talented player but I'm a firm believer that you shouldn't be playing for your country if you can't get a game for your club.

Because he’s been excellent for Scotland every time he’s played.

In answer to BH Tierney is being played at centre half as him and Robertson are probably our two best players are left back and we need to find a way of accommodating both in the team.

I’d personally have tried Robertson at left midfielder but I understand the logic.

Don’t get Ryan Jack at right back and certainly not what I’d have done but that’s exactly the point of these friendlies is it not? There’s no obvious alternative at right back (I don’t think Patterson is good enough) so don’t see the harm in trying one or two things out.

bingo70
09-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Really. We have plenty of RBs in the country. And plenty of CHs oh and strikers. But let’s not bother with that eh. SFA are a bunch of utter feckwits

Who arr the alternative choices at right back?

Don’t disagree about the SFA but not because of the team selection tonight.

HoboHarry
09-11-2017, 07:24 PM
It's a friendly for Gawds sake - trying different stuff oot is awright........

Firestarter
09-11-2017, 07:28 PM
Type of game everyone thinks getting pumped we turn out a result. Ryan Babel is a pro ev legend mind.

Souter96Mac
09-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Playing a midfielder at right back, when we have Patterson on the bench, Tierney at centre back (I presume) when we have Hanlon and cooper on the bench, and Phillips, a right winger, up front when JC is on bench. I'll accept a bit of hibs bias in this but just a bit weird this lineup.

silverhibee
09-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Celtic players all picking up knocks before a friendly. How surprising.

And will all make a miraculous recovery for next week.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2017, 07:31 PM

In answer to BH Tierney is being played at centre half as him and Robertson are probably our two best players are left back and we need to find a way of accommodating both in the team.

I’d personally have tried Robertson at left midfielder but I understand the logic.

Don’t get Ryan Jack at right back and certainly not what I’d have done but that’s exactly the point of these friendlies is it not? There’s no obvious alternative at right back (I don’t think Patterson is good enough) so don’t see the harm in trying one or two things out.

It sends out totally the wrong message in my opinion.

Playing regular club football should always be a prerequisite for international selection.

Hiber-nation
09-11-2017, 07:33 PM

Whitty and he's injured. It's a massive problem, same with the strikers. Cummings is nowhere near ready and Phillips is as poor a player as I've seen in a Scotland jersey for years. There must be another RB out there though, not sure why he couldn't have just picked Anya instead of the ludicrous choice of Ryan Jack.

Albanian Hibs
09-11-2017, 07:36 PM
Is it bad that I am thinking of watching the N Ireland game instead of the Scotland one?

Firestarter
09-11-2017, 07:37 PM
Patterson isn't ready for this match, he's just back as it is.

bingo70
09-11-2017, 07:40 PM
Patterson isn't ready for this match, he's just back as it is.

He’s also atrocious defensively.

Golden Bear
09-11-2017, 07:41 PM
Is it bad that I am thinking of watching the N Ireland game instead of the Scotland one?

Nope! But what is bad is the fact that northern Irish fans have the same display as we had against the hertz. Effin boo tae that! 😁

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 07:44 PM

Don't you want to see how McGinn gets on and hanlon if he gets on?

cabbageandribs1875
09-11-2017, 07:49 PM
new balls please

Zazu62
09-11-2017, 07:49 PM
Why play 1 up front? In fact what is the point in Scotland even playing international football, the SFA is rotten from top to bottom

Brightside
09-11-2017, 07:52 PM

Paterson. He may be a Jambo but he’s the best RB we have.

bingo70
09-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Paterson. He may be a Jambo but he’s the best RB we have.

He’s just returning from injury according to previous poster.

He’s also stinking defensively

monarch
09-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Even that accuse doesn't work as it's Ryan jack we are talking about. He's deliberately shuffled the pack in order to play jack which is ridiculous when Hanlon could have just slotted into cb.

Don't you realise that Scotland need a strong Rangers (right back). Or am I just being cynical.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 07:56 PM

I'd say Tierney is the best left back we have had in Scotland for years, i'd find a place in the team for him every game we play, at left back.

He's been used at right back before and although played well enough, its stifled him a little going forward.

Central defense is a specialist position, and we have two of them sitting on the bench????

Robertson at left side wide is not a bad shout, its hardly something he couldnt do as he bombs up and down the wing all game anyway, and would have Tierney behind him for cover, and could fall in when Tierney went forward.

Square pegs in round holes as usual with our lot, when will they ****in learn? :rolleyes:

Albanian Hibs
09-11-2017, 07:59 PM

Good point. Will just switch back and forth between the 2 games.

overdrive
09-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Ryan Jack getting booed whenever he’s on the ball.

Zazu62
09-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Why play 1 up front? In fact what is the point in Scotland even playing international football, the SFA is rotten from top to bottom

Billy Whizz
09-11-2017, 08:02 PM
Ryan Jack getting booed whenever he’s on the ball.

Did Hibs fans not get peltets for slagging Ian Black at ER in an international friendly

Tornadoes70
09-11-2017, 08:03 PM

:agree:

Yep, hope SJM has a good game same with Paul if he gets on.

Billy Whizz
09-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Scotland started well, had a couple of chances early doors

RamYer1902
09-11-2017, 08:06 PM
Stray ball from our John there, not been in the game much yet

overdrive
09-11-2017, 08:10 PM
If we had an actual striker up front, we’d be in with a chance here.

easty
09-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Did Hibs fans not get peltets for slagging Ian Black at ER in an international friendly

So what? I'd boo that dingle if he was in front of me in the queue at Tesco.

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 08:21 PM
:agree:

Yep, hope SJM has a good game same with Paul if he gets on.

Also interested in how Cummings does when he comes on.

SteveHFC
09-11-2017, 08:25 PM
1-0 Holland

AugustaHibs
09-11-2017, 08:26 PM
McGinn just watched depay run right past him to get into the box....

cabbageandribs1875
09-11-2017, 08:26 PM
that all came from a p@ss poor pass from Mcgregor up the other end of the pitch

Brightside
09-11-2017, 08:28 PM
No6 for scotland is utter pish.

Billy Whizz
09-11-2017, 08:28 PM

Usually has Marv behind him

LaMotta
09-11-2017, 08:29 PM

That's not what happened. He had to go to the ball as he was outnumbered.

that all came from a p@ss poor pass from Mcgregor up the other end of the pitch

Aye and Phillips gave Forrest a poor ball before that. Phillips has been atrocious.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 08:31 PM
Surely that goal was down to Stevenson?

HIBERNIAN-0762
09-11-2017, 08:36 PM
Zero atmosphere as usual at sheepland, why do they bother playing it there, you can actually hear players shouting, never a Scotland venue.

AugustaHibs
09-11-2017, 08:40 PM
That's not what happened. He had to go to the ball as he was outnumbered.

Aye and Phillips gave McGregor a poor ball before that. Phillips has been atrocious.

After the ball has been passed past him though McGinn just ball watches when he really should've been following depays run

Brightside
09-11-2017, 08:44 PM
After the ball has been passed past him though McGinn just ball watches when he really should've been following depays run

The team is defensively unbalanced.

Real Emerald
09-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Zero atmosphere as usual at sheepland, why do they bother playing it there, you can actually hear players shouting, never a Scotland venue.

Totally agree, zero atmosphere in a terrible stadium.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 08:45 PM
Tonight shows why Scott Brown Darren Fletcher or any other combination of those who have been playing recently are better than McGinn and McClean.

I understand why playing them in a friendly like tonight is to see how they do, but anyone who thought they were better than those who played in the qualifying games need their heads looked at.

All the clamour to see McGinn play in those games is just Hibs blindness.

LaMotta
09-11-2017, 08:46 PM

Think its too late at that point...Depay is gone. He could have stayed with Depay instead of go to the ball initially but then he would have let the other guy drive in unchallenged with the ball.

He was in a tough position, either way, McLean didnt help him either by selling himself before that.

bingo70
09-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Tonight shows why Scott Brown Darren Fletcher or any other combination of those who have been playing recently are better than McGinn and McClean.

I understand why playing them in a friendly like tonight is to see how they do, but anyone who thought they were better than those who played in the qualifying games need their heads looked at.

All the clamour to see McGinn play in those games is just Hibs blindness.

For young players to be a success they need to be put in with players like the two you mentioned.

To put three relative novices in midfield together against a team with better players than we’ve got is essentially hanging them out to dry and saying ‘told you so’ afterwards.

Brightside
09-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Mulgrew on - ffs. Thats it switched off now.

SteveHFC
09-11-2017, 08:49 PM
Mulgrew on - ffs. Thats it switched off now.

When Cooper and Hanlon are on the bench :faf:

Real Emerald
09-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Why take Berra off to put Mulgrew on, unless Berra is injured what are we finding out about Mulgrew in this friendly to warrant the change. Maybe shape but still an odd substitution?

Phil MaGlass
09-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Berras getting pelters on the Dutch tv all he can do is punt the ball out of play hahaha. Hes been pish in the first half

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 08:56 PM
For young players to be a success they need to be put in with players like the two you mentioned.

To put three relative novices in midfield together against a team with better players than we’ve got is essentially hanging them out to dry and saying ‘told you so’ afterwards.

I agree with that, but in my opinion they are not better players than those we picked for the earlier games, and the crap that was spouted about this player and that player doing a better job was laughable.

They might go on to have great Scotland careers, but they were not ready and are still not ready to take any of the senior players places yet.

Albanian Hibs
09-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Why take Berra off to put Mulgrew on, unless Berra is injured what are we finding out about Mulgrew in this friendly to warrant the change. Maybe shape but still an odd substitution?

Cause Berra is absolutely dug *****?

Real Emerald
09-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Cause Berra is absolute dug *****?

😂 But he knew that and still gave him a start.

P.S. “absolute” is not the proper preface to dug xxxx 😂

renato
09-11-2017, 09:11 PM
SJM looking very accomplished this half, comfortable at this level.

Brightside
09-11-2017, 09:12 PM
McGinn is the only one that can pass a ball in that team. Ryan Jack is murder.

LaMotta
09-11-2017, 09:12 PM

:agree: Excellent on the ball.

Hiber-nation
09-11-2017, 09:14 PM

Yep, improving as the game has gone on and has been miles better then MacLean and Christie.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 09:14 PM
McGinn had a couple of decent forward passes this half. :thumbsup:

renato
09-11-2017, 09:15 PM
His awareness is excellent too, especially his bravery in playing forward at every available opportunity.

WeveGotMcginn
09-11-2017, 09:16 PM
SJM pulling the strings second half really coming onto a good game

Ardenttwo
09-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Are they actually charging money for the fans to see this drivel

Souter96Mac
09-11-2017, 09:17 PM
He defo merits his own chant

California-Hibs
Some might not want to admit it, but there are a lot of good Scotland performers tonight. Playing well and should at least be level

Albanian Hibs
😂 But he knew that and still gave him a start.

P.S. “absolute” is not the proper preface to dug xxxx 😂

Changed 😂

LaMotta
09-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Get huddy Phillips off and Cumdog on.

Iain G
09-11-2017, 09:20 PM
Why not give the other new players a decent run out?!

Phil MaGlass
09-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Whats wrong with a corner into the box

Brightside
09-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Why would you not bring on Cummings at least?

RoYO!
09-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Scotland holding out for a 1-0 defeat here

Looper
09-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Cmon Jase

Sergio sledge
09-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Looks like Mackay has got the same allergy to making subs that Strachan had... Why wait till there's less than 10mins left...

Craig_HFC
09-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Some might not want to admit it, but there are a lot of good Scotland performers tonight. Playing well and should at least be level

Like who?

Gordon's not really had much to do.
Jack has been crap. Can't pass the ball.
Berra was murder.
Tierney's done alright
Robertson's done alright.

Forrest. Jesus wept I don't know what people see in this boy; he's a huddy.
McGinn's been decent in the 2nd half.
McLean's been pretty quiet.
Christie's had a shocker. Think he's given the ball away every time he's had it.
McGregor's been alright.

Phillips is very obviously not a striker as he should have had at least 2 goals.

Mulgrew - pointless sub.
Fraser - should have started instead of Forrest (that isn't just tonight either, btw)

It's been a very hard game to watch.

SteveHFC
09-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Cummings on far too late.

Pedantic_Hibee
09-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Like who?

Berra was murder.
Tierney's done alright

Christie's had a shocker. Think he's given the ball away every time he's had it.
McGregor's been alright.

Phillips is very obviously not a striker as he should have had at least 2 goals.

Mulgrew - pointless sub.
Fraser - should have started instead of Forrest (that isn't just tonight either, btw)

Chorus is ok but some of the verses just don't go at all.

Craig_HFC
09-11-2017, 09:29 PM
Chorus is ok but some of the verses just don't go at all.

:greengrin

:top marks

McD
09-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Like who?

Berra was murder.
Tierney's done alright

McGregor's been alright.

Mulgrew - pointless sub.

Agree with you here mate :agree:

christie has been horrendous, looks like the wee laddie that nobody wants on there team and only plays when they need somebody to make up the numbers,

forrest, don’t know how he’s got 250+ appearances for Celtic, he’s honking.

Mclean been anonymous.

Mcginn and mcgregor linked up a few times neatly (hope Brendan isn’t watching).

Zazu62
Why bring Cummings on with 3 mins to go?

California-Hibs
Like who?

Berra was murder.
Tierney's done alright

McGregor's been alright.

Mulgrew - pointless sub.

We’ve created good goal scoring opportunities againstr a good side. Made the keeper work. Full backs have played well, good pressing. McGinn has had a great game in the middle. Philips for the thankless task of playing an unfamiliar loan striker role had been fairly decent in my opinion. Ryan Fraser’s touch and run as soon as he came on showed quality.

It’s not been a masterclass but c’mon, stop thriving on negativity

Brightside
09-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Like who?

Berra was murder.
Tierney's done alright

McGregor's been alright.

Mulgrew - pointless sub.

Spot on. Horrible stuff. Boyd was spot on about these aberdeen/rangers players that have been brought in.

Heisenberg
09-11-2017, 09:34 PM
McGinn MOTM again

overdrive
09-11-2017, 09:34 PM
McGinn gets the stadium’s man of the match

California-Hibs
09-11-2017, 09:35 PM
Spot on. Horrible stuff. Boyd was spot on about these aberdeen/rangers players that have been brought in.

Don’t get me wrong, Jack, McLean, Christie, all definitely no where near good enough. McGinn rightfully given MOTM

Hiber-nation
Decent performance all things considered.

We are toiling without Griffiths. Matt Phillips is absolutely horrendous.

stoneyburn hibs
Mcginn mom , deserved.

Ardenttwo
09-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Are they actually charging money for the fans to see this drivel

Craig_HFC
09-11-2017, 09:37 PM
We’ve created good goal scoring opportunities againstr a good side. Made the keeper work. Full backs have played well, good pressing. McGinn has had a great game in the middle. Philips for the thankless task of playing an unfamiliar loan striker role had been fairly decent in my opinion. Ryan Fraser’s touch and run as soon as he came on showed quality.

You've pretty much agreed with what I said when rating each of the indivudials you mentioned other than Phillips so I'm not sure how you reach the conclusion that I'm 'thriving on negativity'.

And Holland aren't a good side; not just now anyway. They finished behind Sweden to miss out on the play-off for the World Cup with the other teams in that group being France (who won it) and Bulgaria, Luxembourg and Belarus.

WoreTheGreen

Ffs have to agree with Boyd which kills me inside

SirDavidsNapper
Wonder if Hibs will get a wee windfall for Cummings first cap?

Hibs4185
09-11-2017, 09:39 PM
At the end of the game there, the camera was following tierney and they said "tierney shows he can be the future for Scotland" or something along those lines. Forgot exactly what it was they said as I was writing this, but why not show the man of the match SJM and say positive things about him. If SJM played for Celtic they'd be all over him at the end of the game

Brightside
09-11-2017, 09:40 PM

Phillips was pish. He cannot play as a no9. Jack, McLean, Brerra, Mulgrew, Forrest....rubbish. To claim that the RB had a good game worries me.

Mantis Toboggan
09-11-2017, 09:40 PM
Pretty uninspiring but a few promising signs.
But Philips playing ahead of Cummings is just nonsense. Lost up there and was pish in the last game as well .

Blaster
09-11-2017, 09:41 PM
I thought tierney was man of the match. Outstanding

Mcginn was a close second for his 2nd half performance

LaMotta
09-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Decent performance all things considered.

We are toiling without Griffiths. Matt Phillips is absolutely horrendous.

Can't believe he is at a Premiership team. Poor touch, poor decision making, no composure in front of goal, erratic passing....

Hibby Bairn
09-11-2017, 09:42 PM
I wonder how much Matt Phillips is on at West Brom. Seriously honking.

Firestarter
09-11-2017, 09:43 PM
McGinn was brilliant tonight. Better than he is at us to be honest.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 09:43 PM
That has to be the worst Dutch team in my lifetime, and we huffed and puffed against them all night. McGinn gets man of the match, yet all he did was thread a couple of decent balls through to the forwards.

He did have a better 2nd half compared to the first, but that was so lacklustre.

No wonder people are turning against the national team when the manager who's even been told he's not getting the job, is too scared to actually go for it in a bloody friendly.

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 09:44 PM
McGinn was brilliant tonight. Better than he is at us to be honest.

And so it starts.

bingo70
09-11-2017, 09:45 PM
I wonder how much Matt Phillips is on at West Brom. Seriously honking.

He was terrible but I remember when nearly the whole country was going radge at Strachan because he never picked him.

On a side note i see this is advocaats last job for Holland, any chance he’ll be considered for the Scotland job?

SeanWilson
09-11-2017, 09:45 PM
McGinn getting motm says it all. Phillips is utterly atrocious!

Ronniekirk
09-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Thought this game was was about blooding new players Philips Imo has not done a lot in last few games Cant see him being part of the future
How will they know what Cummings can do only giving him a token walk on walk off again part Pointless

California-Hibs
09-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Phillips was pish. He cannot play as a no9. Jack, McLean, Brerra, Mulgrew, Forrest....rubbish. To claim that the RB had a good game worries me.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to include Jack, he was strinking. Robertson had a good game and Tierney didn’t do much wrong in the middle, but of course shouldn’t be in that position.

Philips won’t play number 9. That’s Griffiths role, and we’re very lucky to have someone of his quality. I still think Philips offers something different, has a bit of physicality about him

Hibby Bairn
09-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Tierney is a great wee player. Would like to see him go to Spain or Germany rather than England.

Stuart93
Seen someone on twitter, a jambo surprise surprise, saying john mcginn was well out his depth & needs more experience before starting for Scotland 😂

500miles
Simon Murray for Scotland.

SeanWilson
09-11-2017, 09:50 PM
still think Philips offers something different, has a bit of physicality about him

He offered SFA, as he did in last few games.

Benny Brazil
09-11-2017, 09:50 PM
I don't get calling Hanlon up then leaving him on the bench - thank god McKay isn't getting the job

LaMotta
09-11-2017, 09:53 PM
McGinn showed tonight he is more than good enough to play for Scotland regularly.

Brightside
He was terrible but I remember when nearly the whole country was going radge at Strachan because he never picked him.

On a side note i see this is advocaats last job for Holland, any chance he’ll be considered for the Scotland job?

Phillips is better out wide.... he's just not a number 9

BigKev
SJM been man of the match in his 2 starts for Scotland...

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 09:57 PM
I don't get calling Hanlon up then leaving him on the bench - thank god McKay isn't getting the job

Sadly I think Hanlon may never be capped.

jakedance
09-11-2017, 09:58 PM
Mackay giving praise to all the players who were played out of position. Maybe they should have just been played in the right position?

BSEJVT
09-11-2017, 10:00 PM
If Mackay's remit for the match was solely that we not get tanked then he achieved it.

What else did we learn?

I couldn't even tell you who our sub goalie was, but I know all I need to about Craig Gordon

Jack isn't good enough

Tierney is our best player

Robertson possibly our second best

IMO we need to accommodate both

I am none the wiser whether Hanlon or Cooper can play at this level which surely must have been the point in selecting them, not seeing if Mulgrew and Berra could still run for half a game each

I think folk are being unnecessarily harsh on a couple, McGinn did well second half and whilst not great I didn't think Christie was as bad as folk have quoted.

We need either Brown or Fletcher, not both but it was good to see in Christie and McGregor players with the ability to control the ball and run reasonably quickly and get balls in the box.

IMO this has been a trait sadly lacking in a Scottish Midfield during our absence from tournament finals

I would have liked to have seen more of Fraser and 3 mins for Cummings, what was the point in that?

Are they robust enough for competitive games though?

Phillips is awful, a terrible footballer with a poor touch and lack of awareness.

I cannot for the life of me see why some folk rate Forrest. Rivalry apart you can usually grudgingly see some ability in other teams players, I cant see anything in him

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Mackay giving praise to all the players who were played out of position. Maybe they should have just been played in the right position?

I know, imagine tierney marauding up the left, think of the space that would have created for the other midfielders.

Square pegs in round holes, when will we ever learn?

Ryan91
09-11-2017, 10:01 PM

Stop being so sensible!

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 10:04 PM
If Mackay's remit for the match was solely that we not get tanked then he achieved it.

What else did we learn?

I couldn't even tell you who our sub goalie was, but I know all I need to about Craig Gordon

Jack isn't good enough

I am none the wiser whether Hanlon or Cooper can play at this level which surely must have been the point in selecting them, not seeing if Mulgrew and Berra could still run for half a game each

I think folk are being unnecessarily harsh on a couple, McGinn did well second half and whilst not great I didn't think Christie was as bad as folk have quoted.

We need either Brown or Fletcher, not both but it was good to see in Christie and McGregor players with the ability to control the ball and run reasonably quickly and get balls in the box.

IMO this has been a trait sadly lacking in a Scottish Midfield during our absence from tournament finals

I would have liked to have seen more of Fraser and 3 mins for Cummings, what was the point in that?

Phillips is awful, a terrible footballer with a poor touch and lack of awareness.

I cannot for the life of me see why some folk rate Forrest. Rivalry apart you can usually grudgingly see some ability in other teams players, I cant see anything in him
Forrest showed what he's capable of last week against buyern

Brightside
09-11-2017, 10:05 PM
Sadly I think Hanlon may never be capped.

Tonight was mental.... playing the LB in their instead is stupid beyond belief.

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:06 PM
Managers these days over thinking things and following a stupid trend of players that they think are more educated on other positions so assume they can play there.

Sorry but play the best 11 whatever that is and ffs play them in their strongest positions and the difference will be night and day. Players can relax when they know what they are doing!

Sylar
09-11-2017, 10:07 PM
I don't want to see him play there again, but Jack wasn't actually awful tonight - they didn't get much of anything down his side, and he broke up a few attacks well. Put 2 cracking balls into the box in the second half too.

I think we're onto a generation, with the one immediately behind, looking like a bright future for us. Some of the younger players toiled a bit tonight, but others linked up well and played some excellent stuff. A core team that features Tierney, Robertson, Armstrong, McGregor, McGinn, Griffiths, Brown (assuming he wants to keep going) and building around them could really reap some good rewards at last. There's a lot of very promising young players around the fringes too that will be exciting additions in the future too.

Despite how bad that was to watch at times tonight, I feel an odd sense of optimism...

bingo70
09-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Then we couldn’t have had probably our best two players playing. We wouldn’t have had any strikers up front or it would have been Cummings who surely nobody can think is ready to play that role himself up top, we’d have played with no right back and we wouldn’t have seen just how competent at centre half Tierney can be.

I don’t agree with everything Mackay did tonight but the things he got wrong are being blown way out of proportion imo.

California-Hibs
09-11-2017, 10:08 PM

What else did we learn?

Jack isn't good enough

Did you watch the Celtic vs Bayern match? Forrest was incredible, a huge threat. I can see why he’s included.

bingo70
09-11-2017, 10:08 PM
Managers these days over thinking things and following a stupid trend of players that they think are more educated on other positions so assume they can play there.

Sorry but play the best 11 whatever that is and ffs play them in their strongest positions and the difference will be night and day. Players can relax when they know what they are doing!

Would you have played Robertson and Tierney both at left back tonight?

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:09 PM
Then we couldn’t have had probably our best two players playing. We wouldn’t have had any strikers up front or it would have been Cummings who surely nobody can think is ready to play that role himself up top, we’d have played with no right back and we wouldn’t have seen just how competent at centre half Tierney can be.

I don’t agree with everything Mackay did tonight but the things he got wrong are being blown way out of proportion imo.

We don’t know how Cummings would do unless tested. Better than Phillips who was very poor!

Brightside
09-11-2017, 10:10 PM

Robertson should play LM....Teirney at LB. Overlaps all day long.

Scotland isn't the time to play players in different positions. They have 50 games a year to do that!!

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:10 PM

Tierney yeah, and play Robertson infront of him.

bingo70
09-11-2017, 10:11 PM
We don’t know how Cummings would do unless tested. Better than Phillips who was very poor!

Cummings isn’t ready to play up front himself at international level, I know that without seeing him play that role tonight inthe same way I know I couldn’t do that role even though I wasn’t given a decent run out tonight.

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Cummings isn’t ready to play up front himself at international level, I know that without seeing him play that role tonight inthe same way I know I couldn’t do that role even though I wasn’t given a decent run out tonight.

I’m not saying he’s ready, I’m saying you can’t say unless he tries it. It’s a friendly what have we got to lose? Also do you think he’d have been any worse than Phillips tonight?

bingo70
09-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Tierney yeah, and play Robertson infront of him.

But Robertson’s a left back too?

If the best players have to play but only in their best position like you’re suggesting one of them has to drop out.

I’m sorry but I’m international football it is about trying to find a way to get all your best players on the park and sometimes that means some players will be played out of position. Tonight’s game is exactly the sort of game to be trying things.

As I said I don’t agree with all that Mackay did tonight but I think the criticism has been way OTT.

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Robertson should play LM....Teirney at LB. Overlaps all day long.

Scotland isn't the time to play players in different positions. They have 50 games a year to do that!!

Bang on that’s what I’ve said as well. It’s not rocket science Mackay made a bit of a Noel Hunt tonight.

Hibee Mac
09-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Phillips slows everything down and has no composure, absolutely honking how does he get a game for Scotland let alone start??

bingo70
09-11-2017, 10:16 PM
I’m not saying he’s ready, I’m saying you can’t say unless he tries it. It’s a friendly what have we got to lose? Also do you think he’d have been any worse than Phillips tonight?

I think you can say without trying it. He’s not good enough to play that role up front himself. I think I’ve seen enough of him throughout the last couple of years to make that call.

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:16 PM

If the best players have to play but only in their best position like you’re suggesting one of them has to drop out.

I’m sorry but I’m international football it is about trying to find a way to get all your best players on the park and sometimes that means some players will be played out of position. Tonight’s game is exactly the sort of game to be trying things.

As I said I don’t agree with all that Mackay did tonight but I think the criticism has been way OTT.

Well if that’s the case drop Robertson. He’s not getting a game anyway.

Radium
09-11-2017, 10:17 PM
I know, imagine tierney marauding up the left, think of the space that would have created for the other midfielders.

Square pegs in round holes, when will we ever learn?

Hanlon/ Tierney combination was not tried in a friendly - both playing in position and can move it forward. Sometimes coaches and managers just try to be too clever, and that was the case tonight.

Maclean played in Shinnies position. No recognised striker till 85th min. Paterson at right back?

Green tinted specs, but why only 3 subs and why, given the last two weeks, did McGinn play 90 mins? [do we just follow Celtic and have players drop out]

Mackay clearly is after a managers job and was the wrong choice for this game

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:18 PM
I think you can say without trying it. He’s not good enough to play that role up front himself. I think I’ve seen enough of him throughout the last couple of years to make that call.

That’s your opinion though. You could well be right but until we see we can’t say for certain imo. Again though and be honest, what did Phillips do tonight Jason couldn’t have done?

bingo70
09-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Bang on that’s what I’ve said as well. It’s not rocket science Mackay made a bit of a Noel Hunt tonight.

If you look through this thread I said it earlier too.

Your saying players shouldn’t be played out of position though but then contradicting yourself by saying you want Robertson to play left wing?

I think in this Scotland team playing players out of position is a necessary evil and games like tonight are the games to try things.

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:19 PM
Phillips slows everything down and has no composure, absolutely honking how does he get a game for Scotland let alone start??

This. 👍🏼

Benny Brazil
09-11-2017, 10:19 PM

I would have Tierney left back and Robertson left midfield - both are obviously strong defensively but both can attack as well

Gordy M
09-11-2017, 10:21 PM

Phillips didnt have a great game but set uo cummings with a great chance that he should have scored with, or at least done better than he did.

bingo70
09-11-2017, 10:21 PM
That’s your opinion though. You could well be right but until we see we can’t say for certain imo. Again though and be honest, what did Phillips do tonight Jason couldn’t have done?

I think Phillips was stinking tonight so I want to be clear about that, don’t want to turn this into a debate that makes me looks like I thought he was good.

I think he offered a physical presence and was able to drop a bit deeper to try and link up play better than JC would. JC would have been swallowed up and chucked away by van Dijk.

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:22 PM
If you look through this thread I said it earlier too.

Your saying players shouldn’t be played out of position though but then contradicting yourself by saying you want Robertson to play left wing?

I think in this Scotland team playing players out of position is a necessary evil and games like tonight are the games to try things.

I did, but playing left wing isn’t the worst position for him. But I would leave him out if I was forced to pick between the two! These are the games to try things that I 100% agree with, like Jason starting!

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 10:22 PM

International football is about having players who are willing and capable of retaining and distributing the ball when in tight and pressurised situations.

bingo70
09-11-2017, 10:23 PM
I would have Tierney left back and Robertson left midfield - both are obviously strong defensively but both can attack as well

Correct, me too.

My post is in response to people who can’t believe players were played out of position for us tonight.

For Scotland players playing in unnatural positions is going to be necessary sometimes imo.

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:24 PM
I think Phillips was stinking tonight so I want to be clear about that, don’t want to turn this into a debate that makes me looks like I thought he was good.

I think he offered a physical presence and was able to drop a bit deeper to try and link up play better than JC would. JC would have been swallowed up and chucked away by van Dijk.

Yeah I don’t think anyone could say he done even alright, he was honking. Jason may well have or he may have got a couple of chances and we both know he can finish. We’ll have to agree to disagree I think, I’d have Jason everytime in front of Phillips!

Brightside
09-11-2017, 10:27 PM
International football is about having players who are willing and capable of retaining and distributing the ball when in tight and pressurised situations.

That’s what all Football is about. Unless you admit your *****.

Brightside
09-11-2017, 10:28 PM
Correct, me too.

My post is in response to people who can’t believe players were played out of position for us tonight.

For Scotland players playing in unnatural positions is going to be necessary sometimes imo.

LB / LM is a very similar role now tho.

pacoluna
09-11-2017, 10:30 PM
That’s what all Football is about. Unless you admit your *****.

Totally different, the intensity of international football compared to domestic football particularly in the SPL.

Mantis Toboggan
09-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Totally different, the intensity of international football compared to domestic football particularly in the SPL.

Used to be true but is international football now any more intense than EPL for example?

Michael
09-11-2017, 10:47 PM
Used to be true but is international football now any more intense than EPL for example?

I wouldn't say international football is very intense at all. Generally both sides are afraid to lose and play very cautiously.

Thecat23
09-11-2017, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't say international football is very intense at all. Generally both sides are afraid to lose and play very cautiously.

Most internationals are rotten these days. Slow paced and as you say both teams not wanting to lose.

Firestarter
09-11-2017, 10:49 PM
And so it starts.

What starts? He was fantastic and dynamic in his position, differently as he is used at us. It shows the level he can get to. The link up play and chances created in a Scotland top from a Hibs player was a joy to watch selfishly as he was who I was focussing on.

G B Young
09-11-2017, 10:52 PM
With neither of these sides having a competitive game scheduled until late 2018 it's hard to imagine what, if anything, either will have gained from this run-out. It was presumably a diary filler hastily arranged after the mutual failure to reach the Euro play-offs.

I wouldn't grudge any Hibs players their call-up (Hanlon's, in particular, was well deserved even though he didn't get on) but from a selfish point of view I just want them to avoid injuries when not playing for their club.

Brightside
09-11-2017, 11:21 PM

Only at the highest level of international football. Scotland don't play at the level very often. There was nothing too intense about tonights game, just a fair few players that can't pass a football. and i include the dutch in that. they have gone backwards in a big way.

Brightside
09-11-2017, 11:24 PM
What starts? He was fantastic and dynamic in his position, differently as he is used at us. It shows the level he can get to. The link up play and chances created in a Scotland top from a Hibs player was a joy to watch selfishly as he was who I was focussing on.

Thats what he does at Hibs?? I saw the same player tonight....just not trying too hard.

Vault Boy
09-11-2017, 11:28 PM
McGinn's valuation can surely only start at c.£5m right now. The guy is class, he'll be playing Champions League football one day.

Shrekko
09-11-2017, 11:57 PM
Excellent second half from SJM and surprised anyone would play it down. He was dynamic, positive and his passing was top drawer. He’s so confident in his own game and was a real plus for Scotland.

Tierney is our best player, our best left back in 20 years.... surely he plays left back? Let others play in different positions but not him!

J-C
10-11-2017, 05:30 AM
All been said on the thread already, Philips was pish but he is a winger, to give JC only 5 mins was a joke, needed to see what Hanlon could do and he should've had the 2nd half to do so and move Tierney to LB. Mackey tried to be too clever and it didn't work, this game was a great opportunity to see what some of these guys have got but poor tactics and man management knocked that on the head.

BSEJVT
10-11-2017, 06:49 AM
Did you watch the Celtic vs Bayern match? Forrest was incredible, a huge threat. I can see why he’s included.

No didn't see that game as I don't have BT Sport and have no interest whatsoever in the over bloated Champions League.

Happy for him if that is the case but one swallow a summer doth not make.

Every time I have seen him he has been absolutely rank.

JimBHibees
10-11-2017, 06:54 AM
Excellent second half from SJM and surprised anyone would play it down. He was dynamic, positive and his passing was top drawer. He’s so confident in his own game and was a real plus for Scotland.

Tierney is our best player, our best left back in 20 years.... surely he plays left back? Let others play in different positions but not him!

Totally agree thought SJM was excellent and deserved his MOM award.

JimBHibees
10-11-2017, 06:56 AM
Most internationals are rotten these days. Slow paced and as you say both teams not wanting to lose.

Still a higher level of player and more technical game.

Benny Brazil
10-11-2017, 07:20 AM
No didn't see that game as I don't have BT Sport and have no interest whatsoever in the over bloated Champions League.

Happy for him if that is the case but one swallow a summer doth not make.

Every time I have seen him he has been absolutely rank.

Thats my view of his as well - every time I see him play he is garbage and I don't get what all the fuss is about him - too many occasions where he tries to go past someone and doesn't succeed - if he does manage to get past a player his crossing / final ball is woeful.

Last night for me was all about Mackay auditioning for the managers role - he'll say it isnt and Reagan has said its a no - but for me Mackay was only looking for the result to enhance his reputation - why wouldn't you experiment and try some of the guys on the bench, why not put Hanlon on, Cooper has been getting some good reviews at Leeds why not give him a go - what has been learnt by bringing on Mulgrew - we know we are struggling for decent centre backs yet we dont try anyone new in that position. And giving Cummings the last 5-10mins was only about trying to get a late equaliser like Managers do every week - throw on a forward to try and get a late goal.

JimBHibees
10-11-2017, 07:32 AM
Thats my view of his as well - every time I see him play he is garbage and I don't get what all the fuss is about him - too many occasions where he tries to go past someone and doesn't succeed - if he does manage to get past a player his crossing / final ball is woeful.

Last night for me was all about Mackay auditioning for the managers role - he'll say it isnt and Reagan has said its a no - but for me Mackay was only looking for the result to enhance his reputation - why wouldn't you experiment and try some of the guys on the bench, why not put Hanlon on, Cooper has been getting some good reviews at Leeds why not give him a go - what has been learnt by bringing on Mulgrew - we know we are struggling for decent centre backs yet we dont try anyone new in that position. And giving Cummings the last 5-10mins was only about trying to get a late equaliser like Managers do every week - throw on a forward to try and get a late goal.

Agree made no sense not to play Cooper and Hanlon when we have such a lack of centre halfs. Berra Mulgrew and Tierney out of position, give me a break.

McKay was simply touting for a job there.

mjhibby
10-11-2017, 07:45 AM

Now who at hibs has been doing that all season and for many is the best midfielder at the club if not the country. Dylan mcgeoch would have been ideal for the game and had Jason's got the second half I can guarantee he would have got a chance or two. I was with a few celtic fans last weekend and they watched the Derby and were bemoaning letting him go as they agreed he is as good as anything at celtic. His speed of thought, timing of pass and always ready for the ball is taken for granted I think. I've told the guys I coach just watch him and how he plays if you want to get better. Best player at hibs since latapy and sauzee IMHO. Even two bellies Boyd has said it.

pacoluna
10-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Only at the highest level of international football. Scotland don't play at the level very often. There was nothing too intense about tonights game, just a fair few players that can't pass a football. and i include the dutch in that. they have gone backwards in a big way.

That's where we are aiming to be though. I wasn't impressed with Holland either.

MB62
10-11-2017, 08:23 AM

100% this, and then playing a left back at centre half :grr:

McKay can go do one, in any Scotland role, if this is his attitude towards things.

5 minutes for Cummings FFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!! The laddie might not be ready but you never know until you play him, oh, and BTW, ready or not, he's nae worse than that pudding they keep playing.

scoopyboy
10-11-2017, 08:51 AM

Even giving him 10 to 15 minutes wouldn't have hurt.

I thought McKay could have given more people a game and used all six subs that were permitted.

B.H.F.C
10-11-2017, 09:12 AM

I thought McKay could have given more people a game and used all six subs that were permitted.

Same could be said for the boy Cooper. Bringing Mulgrew on made absolutely no sense at all.

Thegreenside
10-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Can’t figure out what the back 4 was about. Best lb at cb, a cm at rb, and played the two tested cbs. Strange set up.

JimBHibees
10-11-2017, 09:41 AM

Agree makes no sense seemed to be more about Malkys ego than trying players out in what was a totally meaningless game in the context of things.

You have 2 centre backs on the bench one playing well with Hibs and the other at a half decent Leeds team and he plays neither and sticks with Berra and Mulgrew and Tierney out of position instead of giving them a shot. His comments about Christie after the game were well over the top also as from what I seen of the game he was pretty average.

Pretty Boy
10-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Seems bizarre to give someone like Mulgrew 45 minutes when everyone already knows what he offers at the level. Surely makes more sense to give Hanlon a shot and see how he copes? Same with the like of Forrest and Gordon. You aren't learning anything new with them so give others a shot.