PDA

View Full Version : NHC Verbal abuse Dean Shiels

Thief
08-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Words escape me [emoji20]

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/championship/falkirk-duo-charged-over-dean-shiels-missing-eye-abuse-1-4607652

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big_Franck
08-11-2017, 10:16 AM
Used to love Dean when he was at us. Not his biggest fan now after his time at der hun but that's below the belt. Hope the two Falkirk boys get hammered if there is any truth in it.

anon1875
08-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Should receive a ban imo

Jones28
08-11-2017, 10:20 AM
As if anyone needed another reason to detest Falkirk football club.

Mr White
08-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Pretty poor conduct if true.

Hibernia&Alba
08-11-2017, 10:41 AM
They are the lowest of the low if the accusations are true. Just can't fathom some people.

Peevemor
08-11-2017, 10:53 AM
I take it nobody on here remembers the abuse/comments Alan Sneddon got from the Hibs support?

CallumLaidlaw
08-11-2017, 10:56 AM
I'll be absolutely gobsmacked if Dean hasn't unfortunately had various remarks on the football field regarding his eye. These 2 have just been particularly blatant about it.

cleanyman
08-11-2017, 10:58 AM
The abuse has been happening since he came up to Scotland. I even remember Hibs fans doing the same when he returned.

Mr White
08-11-2017, 10:59 AM
I take it nobody on here remembers the abuse/comments Alan Sneddon got from the Hibs support?

Horrible as that is and was it's a bit different to players making comments like that to a fellow professional. Of course that kind of thing goes on in football but that's no reason not to criticise it any time it's exposed IMO.

Suburban Hibby
08-11-2017, 11:00 AM

Cyclops I believe- sounds horrendous when you think about it now- it was commonplace then.

Sir David Gray
08-11-2017, 11:04 AM
If that's true they should be sacked by Falkirk and receive severe punishment by the SFA and a lengthy ban.

Disgraceful.

givescotlandfreedom
08-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Falkirk is a foul little club, it seemed their hatred of our players was personal too.

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Disgusting behaviour and if your behaviour defines you then it is from disgusting people.

Firestarter
08-11-2017, 12:54 PM
Hearts are just as bad with the song they sang and also the abuse they gave Kenny Sheils. Sickening.

Lago
08-11-2017, 01:01 PM
I do & couldn't believe what I was hearing. That was unacceptable & this latest Dean Shields episode is equally unacceptable.

WeeRussell
08-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Hearts are just as bad with the song they sang and also the abuse they gave Kenny Sheils. Sickening.

I don't like Hearts or Falkirk but this isn't really about teams - it's 2 individuals. As someone has alluded to in this thread, similar and worse has been shouted from individuals within our support.

Fully agree that the players involved should be punished for this though, as should supporters!

Lago
08-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Horrible as that is and was it's a bit different to players making comments like that to a fellow professional. Of course that kind of thing goes on in football but that's no reason not to criticise it any time it's exposed IMO.
Nope fans are people & players are people, thats the common denominator, undefencable, in my opinion.

OsloHibs
08-11-2017, 01:08 PM
Discusting human beings.

staunchhibby
08-11-2017, 01:50 PM
They should get hammered for there disgusting behaviour

Albanian Hibs
08-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Hate Falkirk. Horrible club.

Mr White
08-11-2017, 02:18 PM
Nope fans are people & players are people, thats the common denominator, undefencable, in my opinion.

I agree to some extent and I absolutely wasn't defending it in any way, I would however make a distinction between fans abusing players and the players abusing each other like that. Both are wrong but the latter crosses a line professionally.

I also meant that some hibs fans singing or shouting something similar 30 years ago isn't a barrier to hibs fans on .net criticising the alleged behaviour of these 2 falkirk players today. I should have worded it better though.

neil7908
08-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Hope we draw Falkirk in the cup this year and give them an absolute doing.

Having said that, I'm not sure we'd walk away injury free.

Frazerbob
08-11-2017, 04:52 PM
The abuse has been happening since he came up to Scotland. I even remember Hibs fans doing the same when he returned.

Exactly, unbelievably I've heard plenty Hibs fans dishing out similar abuse to him. Thankfully on most occasions decent folk told them to STFU. Unfortunately all clubs have their tits, us definitely included.

Billy Whizz
08-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Why has it taken so long for this to come to light. Game was a month ago

Mr White
08-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Why has it taken so long for this to come to light. Game was a month ago

Apparently it was agreed to leave it till after their league clash last week for some reason.

Billy Whizz
08-11-2017, 05:30 PM
Apparently it was agreed to leave it till after their league clash last week for some reason.

Ok thanks, seems sensible

Craig_HFC
08-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Classy as ever from that tinpot wee joke of a 'football' club.

Lago
08-11-2017, 07:32 PM
I agree to some extent and I absolutely wasn't defending it in any way, I would however make a distinction between fans abusing players and the players abusing each other like that. Both are wrong but the latter crosses a line professionally.

I also meant that some hibs fans singing or shouting something similar 30 years ago isn't a barrier to hibs fans on .net criticising the alleged behaviour of these 2 falkirk players today. I should have worded it better though.
Agree, good post.

Wilson
09-11-2017, 01:26 PM
8 match ban for O'Hara.

HoboHarry
09-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Well the authorities didn't mess around with this one........

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/falkirk/falkirk-striker-banned-for-eight-games-over-dean-shiels-abuse-1-4608988

guthrie01
09-11-2017, 02:05 PM
8 match ban for O'Hara.

Deserved, his comments towards another professional where disgusting. Hope he and his tin pot club go down

easty
09-11-2017, 02:43 PM
8 matches for some school playground style bullying seems harsh to me

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 02:59 PM
8 game ban sounds about right to me, Tonev got a 7 game ban for racially abusing Logan the Aberdeen player.

Spike Mandela
09-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Always admired Dean Shiels and how he overcame his disability to play at a decent level.

For once the SFA have done the right thing with this ban and hopefully it sends out the message that mocking someone’s disability, race, religion or sexuality etc is not acceptable in this day and age.

I am sure we have all heard some off colour ‘banter’ at games or in the workplace and people deal with it in different ways and in the right spirit can be humouous but when it is called out like this and appears so nasty and vindictive they deserve all they get.

HoboHarry
09-11-2017, 03:07 PM
My wife is a teacher and she will tell you that the tolerance towards bullying is light years away from what it used to be - ignoring it is no longer an option........

Spike Mandela
09-11-2017, 03:08 PM
My wife is a teacher and she will tell you that the tolerance towards bullying is light years away from what it used to be - turning a blind eye is no longer an option........

:greengrin That could have been phrased better, no?

HoboHarry
09-11-2017, 03:14 PM
:greengrin That could have been phrased better, no?
Whoopsie - that's the daftest thing I've said for a while...... edited now......

Not In The Know
09-11-2017, 03:36 PM

you hit the nail on the head there.

Its setting an example to kids that this behaviour is not acceptable.

Hibernia&Alba
09-11-2017, 03:41 PM

I don't think so. Mocking the poor guy for his disability is totally unacceptable. We know there will be a few roasters in the crowd who think they're being funny, but when it's another player saying it to the guy's face, that is terrible. Incredibly crass behaviour.

easty
09-11-2017, 04:08 PM
you hit the nail on the head there.

Its setting an example to kids that this behaviour is not acceptable.

Nah, that's overthinking it.

Kids aren't going to stop taking the piss out of folk, or bullying folk, because a Falkirk player got an 8 match ban.

Cantona got a 9 month ban for his kung fu kick, kids still had fights in the playground the next day.

Sir David Gray
09-11-2017, 06:52 PM

Nope not harsh enough if he's managed to escape a financial penalty.

If I was to make a comment like that to someone in my workplace, I would lose my job as that would be deemed gross misconduct.

Falkirk should sack him and his sidekick if he's found guilty as well.

Renfrew_Hibby
09-11-2017, 09:55 PM
Cyclops I believe- sounds horrendous when you think about it now- it was commonplace then.

Sneddon was before my time but I know the player, had no idea that he might have been in a similar position to Deano?

WeeRussell
10-11-2017, 01:23 PM
Nope not harsh enough if he's managed to escape a financial penalty.

If I was to make a comment like that to someone in my workplace, I would lose my job as that would be deemed gross misconduct.

Falkirk should sack him and his sidekick if he's found guilty as well.

I doubt part of your job involves getting fired up and competing against others in the same manner though, and perhaps occasionally having to wind-up/argue.

Not saying you're wrong that the punishment should be harsher by the way. I just don't think the whole "my workplace" argument that gets used a lot on here is that strong - if I behaved in my office like I do on the pitch I would have been sacked every week. Different work environments have different standards and codes of conduct... not just football (take a bricky and a vicar for example :greengrin)

Having said all that - taunting someone about a disability like Deano's wouldn't be acceptable in any workplace. No chance of sacking in this case though.

Sir David Gray
10-11-2017, 06:48 PM
I doubt part of your job involves getting fired up and competing against others in the same manner though, and perhaps occasionally having to wind-up/argue.

Not saying you're wrong that the punishment should be harsher by the way. I just don't think the whole "my workplace" argument that gets used a lot on here is that strong - if I behaved in my office like I do on the pitch I would have been sacked every week. Different work environments have different standards and codes of conduct... not just football (take a bricky and a vicar for example :greengrin)

Having said all that - taunting someone about a disability like Deano's wouldn't be acceptable in any workplace. No chance of sacking in this case though.

The bit in bold is exactly the point I was making.

The fact that football is different to a "normal" job makes no difference when it comes to a situation like this. No employer should tolerate this type of behaviour by one of its employees.

I don't see any difference between this incident and if it had been an incident of racist abuse. If it had been racism they were accused of then there's no question they would have been sacked if the accusation had been proven.

easty
10-11-2017, 06:55 PM
The bit in bold is exactly the point I was making.

The fact that football is different to a "normal" job makes no difference when it comes to a situation like this. No employer should tolerate this type of behaviour by one of its employees.

I don't see any difference between this incident and if it had been an incident of racist abuse. If it had been racism they were accused of then there's no question they would have been sacked if the accusation had been proven.

It's different to racist abuse

Iggy Pope
10-11-2017, 06:56 PM
Sneddon was before my time but I know the player, had no idea that he might have been in a similar position to Deano?

As far as I recall, he was nicknamed Cyclops by some down to the way he looked. He had two eyes in his head as far as I know, one of them just looked different. Wee bit of misinformation here. And this nickname wasn't widely used (I think he was called 'Snods' amongst his colleagues) nor was it intended as abusive.