PDA

View Full Version : Blackpool FC & the money in English football

Hibs Class
07-11-2017, 01:53 PM
There has been litigation between various parties involved with Blackpool FC, and the judgement has been published this week. It's a lengthy but interesting read at the link below.

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/vbfa-v-blackpoolfc-2.pdf

One paragraph in particular jumped out, which highlights just how awash with cash the EPL is:

Compared to the Championship, distributions to clubs participating in the Premier League are vast. During the course of the four seasons that Blackpool FC played in the Championship (2011-2012; 2012-2013; 2013-2014; 2015-2016), Blackpool FC received (for each season) £3,550,000. During its one season in the Premier League (2010-2011), Blackpool FC received £42,995,000, plus “parachute” payments intended to cushion difficulties clubs experience when demoted from the Premier League of:
i) £17,600,000 (2011-2012);
ii) £14,400,000 (2012-2013);
iii) £8,000,000 (2013-2014)
iv) £8,000,000 (2014-2015).

These payments (including the £42,995,000 received during the course of the 2010-2011 season) total £122,995,000.

nellio
07-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Yup, parachute payments been in place for a good few years now.

It's designed to help teams when they get relegated pay wages etc I guess.

Jack Hackett
07-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Yup, parachute payments been in place for a good few years now.

It's designed to help teams when they get relegated pay wages etc I guess.

... And a huge handicap for Championship teams with any ambition of reaching the Premier League without that advantage

Mibbes Aye
07-11-2017, 04:05 PM
... And a huge handicap for Championship teams with any ambition of reaching the Premier League without that advantage

It's interesting because the payments don't guarantee success.

I wonder whether player contracts have a safeguard against relegation, meaning they are pay-protected should they be demoted. That would impact on the parachute payment.

Anyway, the stats show that in recent years, demoted teams usually don't reach the automatic promotion places and only around half reach the play-offs. There's a convincing argument that it's easier to get out of the Championship as a team that has built a squad over a few seasons and gradually improved, rather than a club that has fallen out the top-flight.

It's fascinating stuff - I think the Premier League has become more interesting with the rise of Spurs and the premise that it's not inconceivable that there are six teams who could win the title at the start of the season. Nevertheless, it feels like the Championship is genuinely more interesting. Might start watching it more :greengrin

Lancs Harp
07-11-2017, 05:27 PM
And the Oystons pocketed the lot hence the case brought by the minor share holder who also saw non of the money. The Oystons have been found guilty of unfair prejudice against the minor share holder. The case much to the delight of Blackpool fans has brought to the fore how badly the club has been run (there's some very interesting reading within the 130 odd page judgement), the court has ordered the Oystons to buy out Belokon for nearly £32 million. They dont have that kind of money lying around. The beginning of the end for the Oyston regime is close, the feeling amongst Blackpool fans hasnt been so excited since gaining promotion to the Premier league in 2010, which was certainly attained despite the Oystons not because of them and largely due to £5 million investment from Belokon.

Scott Allan Key
08-11-2017, 01:58 PM
And the Oystons pocketed the lot hence the case brought by the minor share holder who also saw non of the money. The Oystons have been found guilty of unfair prejudice against the minor share holder. The case much to the delight of Blackpool fans has brought to the fore how badly the club has been run (there's some very interesting reading within the 130 odd page judgement), the court has ordered the Oystons to buy out Belokon for nearly £32 million. They dont have that kind of money lying around. The beginning of the end for the Oyston regime is close, the feeling amongst Blackpool fans hasnt been so excited since gaining promotion to the Premier league in 2010, which was certainly attained despite the Oystons not because of them and largely due to £5 million investment from Belokon.

A friend’s dad used to play for Blackpool (amongst others) and is still based down there. They’ll be delighted if things get sorted off the park eventually.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2017, 02:53 PM
The Oystons are that stubborn, it would not surprise me if they now ran the club right into the ground. I can see them selling the clubs name to whoever wants to buy it, and building houses on the land the ground stands on, leaving the club homeless.

Make no mistake, Karl Oyston is a nasty *******, and would love to hurt the fans even more than he already has.

That family has stripped the club of every last penny it took from the Premiership days, and parachute payments.

Belekon will have to wait to see his money thats for sure.

Lancs Harp
08-11-2017, 07:39 PM
The Oystons are that stubborn, it would not surprise me if they now ran the club right into the ground. I can see them selling the clubs name to whoever wants to buy it, and building houses on the land the ground stands on, leaving the club homeless.

Make no mistake, Karl Oyston is a nasty *******, and would love to hurt the fans even more than he already has.

That family has stripped the club of every last penny it took from the Premiership days, and parachute payments.

Belekon will have to wait to see his money thats for sure.

Oyston has to pay the first 10 million within 28 days there is no course to appeal other than the appeals court, which is very unlikely they would get a result.. They havent got the 32 million required so will have to sell up. Blackpool FC the football club and Blackpool properties (formerly known as Segesta) are two different companies. Blackpool fans would take administration -15 points and relegation if it meant change of ownership. The saga of Blackpool FC is beyond belief. The end of the nightmare is approaching.

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Oyston has to pay the first 10 million within 28 days there is no course to appeal other than the appeals court, which is very unlikely they would get a result.. They havent got the 32 million required so will have to sell up. Blackpool FC the football club and Blackpool properties (formerly known as Segesta) are two different companies. Blackpool fans would take administration -15 points and relegation if it meant change of ownership. The saga of Blackpool FC is beyond belief. The end of the nightmare is approaching.

I know about the 10m within 28 days, what's to stop them selling the ground to a property developer, does he know one? :wink:

Then selling the homeless club, who'd need to find a home at say fylde or even fleetwood until they could find a site of their own, but how would they afford to buy it?

The Oystons are that nasty and mad, i wouldn't put that scenario past them.

Nobody knows how much is in Segesta or blackpool properties, or anywhere else he's laundered the dough.

What we do know is Karl declared himself bankrupt to stop his wife getting any money when he divorced, they are as slippery as a snake and i don't think this is the good news a lot of blackpool fans think.

I still think this has a long way to go before they if ever get their club back.

Lancs Harp
08-11-2017, 08:59 PM
I know about the 10m within 28 days, what's to stop them selling the ground to a property developer, does he know one? :wink:

Then selling the homeless club, who'd need to find a home at say fylde or even fleetwood until they could find a site of their own, but how would they afford to buy it?

The Oystons are that nasty and mad, i wouldn't put that scenario past them.

Nobody knows how much is in Segesta or blackpool properties, or anywhere else he's laundered the dough.

What we do know is Karl declared himself bankrupt to stop his wife getting any money when he divorced, they are as slippery as a snake and i don't think this is the good news a lot of blackpool fans think.

I still think this has a long way to go before they if ever get their club back.

He cant all his assets have been frozen.

davy malcolm
09-11-2017, 05:18 AM
Hope everything gets sorted why the English FA have let that family do to one of there clubs is shocking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lancs Harp
09-11-2017, 08:52 AM
Would you believe the appointed referee for Blackpools match on saturday is Ben Toner. ..... think about that for a second.:greengrin

LancsHibs
09-11-2017, 09:06 AM
Hope everything gets sorted why the English FA have let that family do to one of there clubs is shocking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FA and EFL have been completely useless through this whole shoddy affair! Their position seems to have been the club is owned by a majority shareholder and he can do wahat he likes with the club, it’s his property to do so with. As long as BFC can fulfill their fixtures they couldn’t give a fig! I do suppose their hand are tied but they don’t seem to have exerted any pressure or made any criticism

blackpoolhibs
09-11-2017, 10:25 AM
He cant all his assets have been frozen.

Have they, i never knew that. :thumbsup:

Wilson
10-11-2017, 04:27 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41944602

Club up for sale.

LancsHibs
10-11-2017, 04:53 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41944602

Club up for sale.

It gets interesting now, the fans might get their club back before the end of the year

LancsHibs
10-11-2017, 05:01 PM
Just seen the clown Oystons have valued the club at £60million:faf:they really are greedy imbeciles! Makes me wonder what Hibs would be realistically valued at?

blackpoolhibs
10-11-2017, 05:10 PM
Good news, or is it.............:greengrin

£60m :faf::faf:

Lancs Harp
10-11-2017, 06:45 PM
I think in court it came out that the perceived value of the football club was 5.5 million. The value of Blackpool of properties (both club and properties have been put up for sale) would include the ground (and earning potential from office space hired out, mostly to the NHS in similar deal to Hibs have), the hotel on the ground (which run by the Oystons runs at a loss), the travel lodge across the road and the training ground at Squires Gate which is simply a couple of pitches and a wooden hut. Its worth nothing like 60m but its the Oystons we're talking about here. In their own little bubble they will be thinking that they can make enough to pay Belokon his 32M which with costs and interest is more like 40M and still make some sort of money out of the sale for themselves. They are notorious for over valuing their own assets, whats happening to them is pure Karma.