PDA

View Full Version : Media Old Firm Documentary from 1974

Carheenlea
06-11-2017, 06:38 PM
Came across this interesting, but at times alarming short documentary film about The Old Firm from 1974. Interviews, great 70's fan fashions, arrests, pitch invasions, an author who was pretty much rewriting history with some wildly inaccurate information and Willie Waddell casually brushing off violence towards women and hoping that the Rangers "traditions" never changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19j95pGNzI8

bigwheel
06-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Came across this interesting, but at times alarming short documentary film about The Old Firm from 1974. Interviews, great 70's fan fashions, arrests, pitch invasions, an author who was pretty much rewriting history with some wildly inaccurate information and Willie Waddell casually brushing off violence towards women and hoping that the Rangers "traditions" never changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19j95pGNzI8

watching this just now...interesting social history piece..thanks for sharing.

Hi Heid Yin
06-11-2017, 07:55 PM
And there you have it, from the mouth of the great Jock Stein himself: "Scottish football would be nothing without Celtic and Rangers"
If we all truly believed this, Jock, then why do so many of us outwith the now defunct "auld firm" follow so many other teams?
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Newcastlehibby
06-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Willie Waddell doesn't half remind me of Rab C Nesbitt. Great film.

bigwheel
06-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Willie Waddell doesn't half remind me of Rab C Nesbitt. Great film.

Ha! and how odd does Desmond White come over??

Newcastlehibby
06-11-2017, 08:16 PM
Ha! and how odd does Desmond White come over??

Strange elocution lessons he's had.

bigwheel
06-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Strange elocution lessons he's had.

He certainly has , I agree..... :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
06-11-2017, 08:30 PM
Some of the health and safety on those building sites are seen today in gorgie. :greengrin

Joe6-2
06-11-2017, 08:48 PM
And there you have it, from the mouth of the great Jock Stein himself: "Scottish football would be nothing without Celtic and Rangers"
If we all truly believed this, Jock, then why do so many of us outwith the now defunct "auld firm" follow so many other teams?

They are still of this same belief, but if it wasn't for the rest of us, who the ****** would they play every week, each other!

Hi Heid Yin
06-11-2017, 09:02 PM
They are still of this same belief, but if it wasn't for the rest of us, who the ****** would they play every week, each other!

:top marks

Eyrie
06-11-2017, 09:24 PM

I just wish the rest of us would remember that when it comes to negotiating prize money and other deals.

Carheenlea
07-11-2017, 09:47 AM

It's no wonder Eddie Turnbull didn't like Jock Stein back then with his disregard for anyone outwith the Old Firm.

Hi Heid Yin
07-11-2017, 10:53 AM
It's no wonder Eddie Turnbull didn't like Jock Stein back then with his disregard for anyone outwith the Old Firm.

True.
It also grates that Jock Stein managed us briefly between 1964-65 and then went on to disrespect our great club by implication when making his infamous: " Scottish football is nothing without Celtic and Rangers"

HIBERNIAN-0762
07-11-2017, 07:56 PM
Great documentary, no mean city indeed, the hate is still there and always will be sadly.

SonOfDavidFrancey
07-11-2017, 09:11 PM
Enjoyed this. Very stately, thoughtful pace to it. Enjoyed Jimmy Reid's interview. Shots of early Kingston Bridge with hardly a car on it striking as well.

G B Young
07-11-2017, 10:21 PM
Enjoyed this. Very stately, thoughtful pace to it. Enjoyed Jimmy Reid's interview. Shots of early Kingston Bridge with hardly a car on it striking as well.

Compelling and repellent in equal measure.

Yes, Jimmy Reid nailed it, I felt, by musing over how there's too much pressure put on football to give people a sense of identity, particularly in huge working class areas of cities like Glasgow. It was partly to do with the filthy state Glasgow was in back then (yes, there are still vast areas of wasteland but it's had a hell of clean-up since those days), but there was something depressing about watching the utter and total dedication of their existence to the Old Firm that some of those fans had.

Out of interest, what was it like going to the old Ibrox as a Hibs fan?!

NAE NOOKIE
07-11-2017, 11:24 PM
Arrogant assholes then, arrogant assholes now. Every time I see stuff like that I'm glad I'm a Hibby :aok:

Scott Allan Key
07-11-2017, 11:27 PM
Ricky Jackson-Celtc minded.

Sammy7nil
08-11-2017, 12:05 AM
Thx that is well worth a watch very good social.history still going on today :greengrin

I remember those crowds and building sites what Health and Safety

Willie Waddell comes across as a complete C0CK of a man.

monktonharp
08-11-2017, 12:37 AM

Yes, Jimmy Reid nailed it, I felt, by musing over how there's too much pressure put on football to give people a sense of identity, particularly in huge working class areas of cities like Glasgow. It was partly to do with the filthy state Glasgow was in back then (yes, there are still vast areas of wasteland but it's had a hell of clean-up since those days), but there was something depressing about watching the utter and total dedication of their existence to the Old Firm that some of those fans had.

Out of interest, what was it like going to the old Ibrox as a Hibs fan?!they used to welcome us, like welcoming a ferret in yer bed when yer half pissed and needing to get up for work in the morning. ! summed up a lot, by Waddelll though. hope no one on hear actually bought a car from him on Slateford road. he liked what he saw, and wanted it to stay as it was. the other side, well they seemed to like it quite fine too. Hanley summed it up better I thought, although he did lean to one side 's view a bit. good view of how things were, and gives an insight as to how the current situation is formed. well done for digging this one up.

houstonhibbee
08-11-2017, 03:52 AM
they used to welcome us, like welcoming a ferret in yer bed when yer half pissed and needing to get up for work in the morning. ! summed up a lot, by Waddelll though. hope no one on hear actually bought a car from him on Slateford road. he liked what he saw, and wanted it to stay as it was. the other side, well they seemed to like it quite fine too. Hanley summed it up better I thought, although he did lean to one side 's view a bit. good view of how things were, and gives an insight as to how the current situation is formed. well done for digging this one up.
That was Willie Woodburn not Waddell

Ringothedog
08-11-2017, 08:37 AM
True.
It also grates that Jock Stein managed us briefly between 1964-65 and then went on to disrespect our great club by implication when making his infamous: " Scottish football is nothing without Celtic and Rangers"

I can't forgive him for the way he left us, if he had stayed we had a great chance of winning either the league or cup and potentially both.

G B Young
08-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Thx that is well worth a watch very good social.history still going on today :greengrin

I remember those crowds and building sites what Health and Safety

Willie Waddell comes across as a complete C0CK of a man.

Yes, a real old school 'Rangers man' absolutely at ease with the no Catholic ethos and also seemingly at ease with wives getting 'bashed around a bit' after a Rangers defeat.

He was, nevertheless, an outstanding manager for Kilmarnock and we owe him some thanks for their last-day win at Tynecastle to snatch the title from the yams. He also won Rangers a European trophy at the height of Celtic's greatest-ever era and was well ahead of his time in overseeing the transformation of Ibrox into an all-seater stadium after the 70s disaster.

My grandad recalled him being known as 'the Deedle' (some sort of rhyming slang) and there was apparently a well known song about him called 'How can you buy Willie Waddell?'

lapsedhibee
08-11-2017, 09:24 AM
Ricky Jackson-Celtc minded.

"Celtc is us and we are Celtc. That's Celtc, in an eggshell."

O'Rourke3
08-11-2017, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the post. That was well worth the watch.

Not a lot of change in the support. I enjoyed Cliff Hanley's unveiled and unedited views on the sadly deceased RFC. I knew who Waddel was but was unfamilier with the man himself, cleary Ricky Fulton's model for Rangers manager in his Scotch and Wry sketch. Jimmy Reid stands out on his oppinions and observations..

Engels74
08-11-2017, 01:25 PM
Thanks for posting. Jimmy Reid was such a great mind. Sadly missed in today's disproportionate world

Sammy7nil
08-11-2017, 01:29 PM
Can someone please copy a link to video that is not embedded?
Thanks in advance

Carheenlea
08-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Can someone please copy a link to video that is not embedded?
Thanks in advance

This should open it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19j95pGNzI8

pacoluna
08-11-2017, 02:01 PM
Rangers means everything to the fans - if we get beat, men go home and lash their wives. WTF

Sammy7nil
08-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Thus should open it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19j95pGNzI8

Thank you :thumbsup:

JimBHibees
08-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Rangers means everything to the fans - if we get beat, men go home and lash their wives. WTF

Quality. :rolleyes:

pacoluna
08-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Quality. :rolleyes:

its the fact he openly says it to try and highlight the importance of Rangers and how much they meant to the support.

Scott Allan Key
08-11-2017, 02:46 PM
its the fact he openly says it to try and highlight the importance of Rangers and how much they meant to the support.

Simply the Best. No irony obviously intended in using a Tina Turner song, she’s trembling at home, waiting in trepidation on a Hun defeat for Ike to return.

CorrieHibs
08-11-2017, 04:33 PM
I might of misheard jock stein but did he not say "no city in Europe can say they have European champions and cup winners cup champions bar Glasgow"

Considering Manchester United won the European cup in 1968 and City won the cup winners cup in 1970 2 years before oldco.

As I said I might of picked it up wrong but if I haven't for a an arrogant twat!

hibs#1
08-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Not much has changed then,good to see the rangers have plenty of history of running on the parks when they get beat 40 year later still at it.

Jock Stein sounded like a twat and that Waddell fella was also a buffoon.

ancient hibee
08-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Waddell was a stockbroker when he stopped playing.Looked after Gordon Smith’s investments.There was far more friendship between Hibs players and Rangers players than there was with Celtic’s in the 50s probably due to the great rivalry between them and Celtic being a non event mainly.

scm70nyd1973
08-11-2017, 07:57 PM

Out of interest, what was it like going to the old Ibrox as a Hibs fan?!

As horrible as it gets - I lived in Glasgow so my dad would take me there with his pal and son (my pal) who were Huns - you could almost taste the hatred and suspicion from them inside the ground (and that was just from our friends !) - at the 1-1 cup game (Paddy scored and missed a sitter IIRC) I saw a Hun throwing a full can of god knows what into a Hibby’s face - at point blank range - seemed like his only crime was wearing a Hibs scarf and celebrating a goal in the correct end of the ground - good Hibs support that day though and I think it we fairly sunny too !

ChicagoHibee
08-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Thanks for posting.

14:24-15:50...........wow!

overdrive
08-11-2017, 08:18 PM
That’s some amount of “goading” on display at 24:30ish. I wonder how long the Barcelona police kept up the witch hunt of over-exuberant Oldco fans?

Scorrie
08-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Thanks for posting. Jimmy Reid was such a great mind. Sadly missed in today's disproportionate world

Agree. Jimmy Reid’s view of the world was really interesting. Imagine the press he would get today! To see Reid at his best, have a look at his speech on the rat race when he became rector of Glasgow University. Brilliant stuff and very thought provoking

OxoHibby
09-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Arrogant assholes then, arrogant assholes now. Every time I see stuff like that I'm glad I'm a Hibby :aok

This was exactly what I thought. the complete arrogance and how it still exists today even though one of them went bust and the other was only a few hours from going bust and had to be saved by a Canadian.