PDA

View Full Version : Question Brandon Barker - did Hearts knock him back? Stokes is there footage of said punch?

RoxburghHibs
06-11-2017, 03:19 PM
I was having a good old chat with a Jambo colleague this morning and he mentioned that they knocked back Barker before he came to us. However having seen Brandon's interview he gave the impression that he knocked back an offer from a few Scottish clubs (Yams included) and it was his choice to come to Hibs.

To be fair this particular Jambo was bemoaning the poor choices in regards to signings by his club and said Barker was an example of this.

He also mentioned that Stokes 100% punched the Dundee player as the highlights showed this clearly. Now I may have simply missed this but what highlights clearly show this incident?

stonewaller1875
06-11-2017, 03:20 PM
I was having a good old chat with a Jambo colleague this morning and he mentioned that they knocked back Barker before he came to us. However having seen Brandon's interview he gave the impression that he knocked back an offer from a few Scottish clubs (Yams included) and it was his choice to come to Hibs.

To be fair this particular Jambo was bemoaning the poor choices in regards to signings by his club and said Barker was an example of this.

He also mentioned that Stokes 100% punched the Dundee player as the highlights showed this clearly. Now I may have simply missed this but what highlights clearly show this incident?A punch has to be a clenched fist, Stokes fist wasn't so no punch

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Flyingwaitor
06-11-2017, 03:34 PM

He also mentioned that Stokes 100% punched the Dundee player as the highlights showed this clearly. Now I may have simply missed this but what highlights clearly show this incident?He knocked the yams back. The taxi driver (my neighbour) picked him and his agent up and took them straight to tynie...was told to leave the meter running...10 mins later they were back in the cab and off to Hibs! Guff wages apparently

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

bigwheel
06-11-2017, 03:37 PM
He knocked the yams back. The taxi driver (my neighbour) picked him and his agent up and took them straight to tynie...was told to leave the meter running...10 mins later they were back in the cab and off to Hibs! Guff wages apparently

I don't believe that story...As far as he (and others) discussed it - he was offered to all SPL clubs...Only Hibs took them up on it..

worcesterhibby
06-11-2017, 03:38 PM
He slapped him in the nuts and then the Dundee player pretended he'd been shot...pathetic

Flyingwaitor
06-11-2017, 03:43 PM
I don't believe that story...As far as he (and others) discussed it - he was offered to all SPL clubs...Only Hibs took them up on it..Thats fine but thats what happened

Golden Bear
06-11-2017, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=worcesterhibby;5213948]He slapped him in the nuts and then the Dundee player pretended he'd been shot...pathetic[/QUOTE

And shot in the head at that. It must have taken about 30 seconds for the supposed pain to travel from his nuts to his napper. Its a pity the press chose to ignore his histrionics.

hibee
06-11-2017, 03:49 PM
He also mentioned that Stokes 100% punched the Dundee player as the highlights showed this clearly. Now I may have simply missed this but what highlights clearly show this incident?

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcsportscot/status/927510495132897280

BBC highlights show it but not sure it can be described as a punch.

matty_f
06-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Thats fine but thats what happened

Did it, aye?

Flyingwaitor
06-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Did it, aye?Yes

matty_f
06-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Yes

:aok: sound.

basehibby
06-11-2017, 04:03 PM
He slapped him in the nuts and then the Dundee player pretended he'd been shot...pathetic

Erm - to be fair to the Dundee player it hardly takes any force at all to lay someone out with a blow to the bollox - just has to be in the right place and a flick of the pinkie could be enough.

Wilson
06-11-2017, 04:04 PM
I'm sure Barker said himself that he was offered to a few Scottish clubs but Lennon was the only taker. Given Hearts lack of width it would be a ridiculous decision for them to knock him back.

I'm so glad Lennon is with us.

Hibbyradge
06-11-2017, 04:05 PM
He knocked the yams back. The taxi driver (my neighbour) picked him and his agent up and took them straight to tynie...was told to leave the meter running...10 mins later they were back in the cab and off to Hibs! Guff wages apparently

https://youtu.be/fc1iipvzr4s

Golden Bear
06-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Erm - to be fair to the Dundee player it hardly takes any force at all to lay someone out with a blow to the bollox - just has to be in the right place and a flick of the pinkie could be enough.

Fair comment, but he collapsed holding his napper as if he had been punched on the head.

Craig_HFC
06-11-2017, 04:07 PM
Fair comment, but he collapsed holding his napper as if he had been punched on the head.

Well to be fair, he might have been.

Just not that one.

Hibbyradge
06-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Well to be fair, he might have been.

Just not that one.

:thumbsup:

worcesterhibby
06-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Yes but when you have been done in the nuts properly you sink to your knees automatically...he lay out flat holding his head !

1van Sprou7e
06-11-2017, 04:16 PM

Don't clubs taking players on loan usually pay a % of their original wage, with the parent club paying the rest?

cabbageandribs1875
06-11-2017, 04:17 PM

surely his parent club pay his salary, with the loan club paying up some of that salary, maybe hibs offered to pay more to the parent club for his services ? surely a player can't expect to get a drop in salary just because they decide to loan the player out ? or is that not how it works :greengrin

Flyingwaitor
06-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Don't clubs taking players on loan usually pay a % of their original wage, with the parent club paying the rest?They do. But Hibs pay the %, the signing on fee, goal bonus, win bonus, appearance etc. I couldnt be bothered going into it all when i posted the reply. All i know is what i was told about the the yams then going to Hibs. And that it was a better deal at Hibs

WeeRussell
06-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Stokes incident wasn’t a “punch” but it was silly and he could easily have been sent off.

Having said that, if the wee touch had been a few inches higher it wouldn’t even be a booking during all the handbags.

But it wasn’t, it was the baws, and baws are sare.

Flyingwaitor
06-11-2017, 04:20 PM
surely his parent club pay his salary, with the loan club paying up some of that salary, maybe hibs offered to pay more to the parent club for his services ? surely a player can't expect to get a drop in salary just because they decide to loan the player out ? or is that not how it works :greengrinYes it is. Hibs pay the %, the win bonus, goal bonus, appearance bonus etc.

therealgavmac
06-11-2017, 04:22 PM
https://youtu.be/fc1iipvzr4s

Bugger, you beat me to it :greengrin

WeeRussell
06-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Yes it is. Hibs pay the %, the win bonus, goal bonus, appearance bonus etc.

I guess if he’s relying on goal and win bonuses at hearts then his wages would be pretty poor :)

Flyingwaitor
06-11-2017, 04:25 PM
I guess if he’s relying on goal and win bonuses at hearts then his wages would be pretty poor :)Ha...spot on!

Fuzzywuzzy
06-11-2017, 04:25 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcsportscot/status/927510495132897280

BBC highlights show it but not sure it can be described as a punch.

Nice comment from a cretinous hearts fan. Lovely paramilitary pictures in his profile to boot.

bigwheel
06-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Yes it is. Hibs pay the %, the win bonus, goal bonus, appearance bonus etc.

So let me get this straight - your taxi driving neighbour. Not only told you the details of the trip to tynecastle , but actually knows the ins and outs of the shape of the commercial agreement with Man City and the player. Wow!

I refer to the previous Gif on this thread [emoji2]

1van Sprou7e
06-11-2017, 04:29 PM
So let me get this straight - your taxi driving neighbour. Not only told you the details of the trip to tynecastle , but actually knows the ins and outs of the shape of the commercial agreement with Man City and the player. Wow!

I refer to the previous Gif on this thread [emoji2]

I think he's just pointing out how most loans work

Flyingwaitor
06-11-2017, 04:31 PM

I refer to the previous Gif on this thread [emoji2]Jeeso...cant say anything on here without being ridiculed. Yes he told me the details of the trip...like me he is a big Hibs supporter. He overheard parts of the convo about Hibs being a better deal. If you dont believe it i couldnt give a monkeys. God knows why it matters to you so much. I answered the OP as thats the info i was given. Its not ground breaking. I didnt post it when i knew it. Its not big news. Its not a big story. Just an answer to the OP.

bigwheel
06-11-2017, 04:32 PM
Jeeso...cant say anything on here without being ridiculed. Yes he told me the details of the trip...like me he is a big Hibs supporter. He overheard parts of the convo about Hibs being a better deal. If you dont believe it i couldnt give a monkeys. God knows why it matters to you so much. I answered the OP as thats the info i was given. Its not ground breaking. I didnt post it when i knew it. Its not big news. Its not a big story. Just an answer to the OP.

Fair enough. - still don't believe it

Flyingwaitor
06-11-2017, 04:33 PM
Fair enough. - still don't believe itThats fine.

Sioux
06-11-2017, 04:33 PM
He knocked the yams back. The taxi driver (my neighbour) picked him and his agent up and took them straight to tynie...was told to leave the meter running...10 mins later they were back in the cab

So, it was known in advance what hertz were offering by way of wage percentage, the signing on fee, goal bonus, win bonus, appearance etc? If so, why did they stop off at tinpot at all? And how did they know 10 minutes would have been enough?

Too many questions points to someone's story being BS. See they taxi drivers!

(IF any taxi drivers take offence, please read between the lines):greengrin

Hibbyradge
06-11-2017, 04:37 PM
Jeeso...cant say anything on here without being ridiculed. Yes he told me the details of the trip...like me he is a big Hibs supporter. He overheard parts of the convo about Hibs being a better deal. If you dont believe it i couldnt give a monkeys. God knows why it matters to you so much. I answered the OP as thats the info i was given. Its not ground breaking. I didnt post it when i knew it. Its not big news. Its not a big story. Just an answer to the OP.

I wonder why they both went into tynecastle, leaving a taxi meter running, when they already had had conversations, presumably by phone, which confirmed that they didn't like the terms on offer.

Presumably they had had similar conversations with Hibs, by phone, which helped them decide to sign for us.

Hibbyradge
06-11-2017, 04:38 PM
So, it was known in advance what hertz were offering by way of wage percentage, the signing on fee, goal bonus, win bonus, appearance etc? If so, why did they stop off at tinpot at all? And how did they know 10 minutes would have been enough?

(IF any taxi drivers take offence, please read between the lines):greengrin

Beat me to it.

Flyingwaitor
06-11-2017, 04:38 PM

(IF any taxi drivers take offence, please read between the lines):greengrinTo say thanks but no thanks. Only Kyle Lafferty doesnt turn up in person to give an answer. How do i know whats been discussed before? How do i know the deal? The OP asked a question. I answered with what i know. What is such the big deal. Its not big news. Its a tiny bit of info. Dont get your knickers in a twist.

Flyingwaitor
06-11-2017, 04:40 PM
I wonder why they both went into tynecastle, leaving a taxi meter running, when they already had had conversations, presumably by phone, which confirmed that they didn't like the terms on offer.

Presumably they had had similar conversations with Hibs, by phone, which helped them decide to sign for us.So im told agents speak to loads of clubs on phone/email and the ones that are worth persuing they speak to in person. No doubts they met a few. Even if it is just the curtosy of saying thanks but no thanks

hibees 7062
06-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Thats fine but thats what happened

:agree: Preston mentioned it at the Derby

GreenNWhiteArmy
06-11-2017, 04:48 PM
I'm sure there was an interview last week with barker where he said himself he was offered to all clubs in our top flight and only hibs took the deal on.

He knew nothing about the club or even who the manager was. Which I'm fine with so Long as now that he's here he understands what it means to wear that green and white shirt with the Hibernian badge.

I'm calling BS on the taxi story

Hibbyradge
So im told agents speak to loads of clubs on phone/email and the ones that are worth persuing they speak to in person. No doubts they met a few. Even if it is just the curtosy of saying thanks but no thanks

But the yam offer wasn't worth pursuing. It was "guff".

The agent wouldn't waste his client's time by trailing him around clubs to say thanks but no thanks.

The courtesy of a reply can be done by email or phone. They hadn't met in person previously so no need to reject their "guff" offer in advance.

The most generous I can be with this unlikely tale is to suggest that your neighbour made it up.

bigwheel

he mentioned Hearts had a chance to take him but didn't...quite different from the story we are getting here..which sounds made up

Barker when asked confirmed that City had made him available to all Scottish top league clubs, and only Hibs had responded.

Hibbyradge
06-11-2017, 04:50 PM

Preston said that he'd met with hertz immediately prior to signing for Hibs?

Sioux
06-11-2017, 04:50 PM
To say thanks but no thanks. Only Kyle Lafferty doesnt turn up in person to give an answer. How do i know whats been discussed before? How do i know the deal? The OP asked a question. I answered with what i know. What is such the big deal. Its not big news. Its a tiny bit of info. Dont get your knickers in a twist.

Cool

WoreTheGreen
06-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Taxi drivers talking pish hold the front page

Thecat23
06-11-2017, 04:58 PM
He’s never been to tynecastle for talks, he was offered to every club in Scotland this is common for players at big clubs who want out on loan.

Hibs were the only team in Scotland that took up interest in him and that’s the only place he sat and had talks.

Hibee87
06-11-2017, 05:03 PM
He’s never been to tynecastle for talks, he was offered to every club in Scotland this is common for players at big clubs who want out on loan.

Hibs were the only team in Scotland that took up interest in him and that’s the only place he sat and had talks.

Thats what i heard and posted a few times since he signed. Was offered to a few clubs heqrts included and potter was not interested in even looming at him. Came to hibs for talks after lennon declared he was interested

portycabbage
06-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Thats what i heard and posted a few times since he signed. Was offered to a few clubs heqrts included and potter was not interested in even looming at him. Came to hibs for talks after lennon declared he was interested

The thought of having Craig Levein looming at you is an unpleasant one. 😉

Thecat23
06-11-2017, 05:17 PM

Yep, exactly what I was told as well. Potter never had any interest in him.

Thecat23
06-11-2017, 05:17 PM

😂😂

WhileTheChief..
06-11-2017, 05:42 PM

If you get a kick or a punch to the baws then generally your hands go there and clutch them as you fall to the ground.

This guy waited, turned round and put his hands to his face as if he’d been punched in the coupon.

The entire crowd reacted immediately with a chorus of cheat. I stand by that.

Stokes should have belted him harder.

bigwheel
06-11-2017, 05:45 PM
If you get a kick or a punch to the baws then generally your hands go there and clutch them as you fall to the ground.

This guy waited, turned round and put his hands to his face as if he’d been punched in the coupon.

The entire crowd reacted immediately with a chorus of cheat. I stand by that.

Stokes should have belted him harder.

lol....he did make a meal of it didn't he.

Stokes still lucky not to see red though - tbh, I don't mind that occasional - it will be that fire in his belly that will also see him pull off a piece of magic now and again...keep it up Stokesy!

WhileTheChief..
06-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Agree that Stokes should maybe have gone.

Lets put it down to one of those incidents that even themselves up over the season. We’re probably due a few!

IanM
06-11-2017, 05:59 PM
To say thanks but no thanks. Only Kyle Lafferty doesnt turn up in person to give an answer. How do i know whats been discussed before? How do i know the deal? The OP asked a question. I answered with what i know. What is such the big deal. Its not big news. Its a tiny bit of info. Dont get your knickers in a twist.

I was told pre season that Hearts approached sir David gray and he knocked it back as he wishes to go into after dinner speaking at retirement and thought if he joined hearts he’d lose the hibs SC captain mantle.
I have no idea if it’s true, time will tell, but I kept it from here for the very same reason.. sounds very suspect but from a Jambo who is pals with budge’s daughter.

IanM
06-11-2017, 06:01 PM
Stokes should have gone. Hand on the other ball we’d be crying blue murder.. or green

TrinityHibs
06-11-2017, 06:06 PM

Preston was the taxi driver? Must be right then.:rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
06-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Hand ball is normally just a yellow card these days.

1van Sprou7e
06-11-2017, 06:14 PM
I was told pre season that Hearts approached sir David gray and he knocked it back as he wishes to go into after dinner speaking at retirement and thought if he joined hearts he’d lose the hibs SC captain mantle.
I have no idea if it’s true, time will tell, but I kept it from here for the very same reason.. sounds very suspect but from a Jambo who is pals with budge’s daughter.

Pretty interesting if true, kind of sad that that's the reason he'd reject them but oh well

jonty
06-11-2017, 06:23 PM

The ref probably judged it as ball to hand.

dchibs
06-11-2017, 07:12 PM

I heard this as well he was offered 50k more than Hibs offered he also had talks with Sunderland and sevco but him being a Ledgend and captain of Hibs he turned them down. It came from a yam who knows his now wife and more her parents and was at SDGs wedding in the summer.

HiBremian
06-11-2017, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=worcesterhibby;5213948]He slapped him in the nuts and then the Dundee player pretended he'd been shot...pathetic[/QUOTE

And shot in the head at that. It must have taken about 30 seconds for the supposed pain to travel from his nuts to his napper. Its a pity the press chose to ignore his histrionics.

30 seconds, you say.

https://youtu.be/Ws9QxOMfmwI

Stokesy, a distant relative of Bram Stoker. :greengrin

weecounty hibby
06-11-2017, 07:42 PM
I've said it on a number of threads now and I'm going to say it again. The compliance officer has deemed that a kick and pushing an opponent is only yellow. Also an attempted headbutt as well. If you don't believe me go and look at Ryan Jacks sending off v Killie and his red card v Hibs. Both Downgraded to yellow. Benchmark has been set so yellow card was the right decision. SFA/SPFL have set themselves up for this with the Jack decisions

Kato
06-11-2017, 07:46 PM
The "balls" story is barking and the Barker story is bally interesting.

NadeAteMyLunch!
06-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Pretty interesting if true, kind of sad that that's the reason he'd reject them but oh well

The other reason is that Hearts are absolutely honking.

Hibee87
06-11-2017, 08:50 PM

:faf: ooops

06-11-2017, 09:08 PM

He's got a job for life doing that so he'd be daft to jeopardise it. Levein probably only tried to get him in an attempt to put one over on us.

Monts
06-11-2017, 10:25 PM

If Hendry was on a promise he might have been denied a clear scoring opportunity.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2017, 06:49 AM
Michael Stewart made an interesting point on Sportscene or whatever it's called. He didn't think the incident merited a red card.

Had Stokes connected with another part of the boy's anatomy, it may not even have been deemed serious enough for a yellow card.

He asked, rhetorically, "Is there a special rule about that part of the anatomy".

andybev1
07-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Edit

WeeRussell
07-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Michael Stewart made an interesting point on Sportscene or whatever it's called. He didn't think the incident merited a red card.

Had Stokes connected with another part of the boy's anatomy, it may not even have been deemed serious enough for a yellow card.

He asked, rhetorically, "Is there a special rule about that part of the anatomy".

That's the same thing I was getting at really.. although I think the area should be taken into consideration. (similar to being poked in the eye being worse than being poked in the belly button).

Stokes was fortunate to get away with what he did. No doubt about it.

WeeHibby
07-11-2017, 12:27 PM

Told by his sister (Manager at my work) that they definitely went in for him but he didn't care. didn't ask for how much though or why he turned it down.