PDA

View Full Version : What needs to happen for Scotland to get another Champions League qualification spot?

Hibbyradge
06-11-2017, 12:22 PM
The Déjà vu thread got me thinking that another possible source of income for Scottish clubs, preferably Hibs obviously, would be entry into the Champions League via a second qualification spot.

We had 2 spots relatively recently, so it can't be beyond the realms of possibility that we could get one back.

Does anyone know how far we are away from that?

SirDavidsNapper
06-11-2017, 12:28 PM
I think UEFA would rather Scotland had no Champions league spaces. Doubt we'll see us get 2 again.

Hibbyradge
06-11-2017, 12:32 PM
I think UEFA would rather Scotland had no Champions league spaces.

:confused:

What gives you that impression?

JeMeSouviens
06-11-2017, 12:32 PM
The Déjà vu thread got me thinking that another possible source of income for Scottish clubs, preferably Hibs obviously, would be entry into the Champions League via a second qualification spot.

We had 2 spots relatively recently, so it can't be beyond the realms of possibility that we could get one back.

Miles.

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/crank2018.html

We're provisionally 26th. Countries 7-15 get 2 CL places.

Hibbyradge
06-11-2017, 12:37 PM
Miles.

https://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method5/crank2018.html

We're provisionally 26th. Countries 7-15 get 2 CL places.

Ooft. That's an unpleasant surprise and a shocking collapse.

I just read that we were 15th in 2010.

Hibee87
06-11-2017, 12:43 PM
Basically its a bit of a cache 22.....we need all teams, including Celtic to win as many games in Europe as possible to help prop up the coefficient, im sure its the last 4 or 5 years average. (This might be changing though) so really if Celtic do well and earn even more money in the Champs it would help get the second spot back but make them much much stronger until that happens. And obviously the teams that do make Europe, hibs, hearts aberdeen and rangers recently then we need them to not be getting put out by relatively unknown teams. I do think however we managed to gain decent points to help our own coefficient by beating bronby away (i also dont think pens or extra time count, but I could be wrong).

Ken
06-11-2017, 12:43 PM
We need teams to start progressing in the Europa League (even just to the group stages) to get our coefficient up. Rangers, Aberdeen and St Johnstone getting knocked out early doors this season certainly hasn't helped and at this stage shows you why we are so far down the rankings.

Haymaker
06-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Probably wish they can shoehorn whoever brings the biggest tv audience that doesn't qualify? :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
06-11-2017, 06:02 PM

UEFA have made it easier and easier for teams from England/ Spain/Germany to qualify and almost impossible for teams from smaller unfashionable nations. I think it's 4 teams from each of those leagues that qualify. I'm sure i read not that long ago that UEFA were planning on making the Champions League a "closed shop" which would effectively rule out the likes of Celtic from ever participating in it. Its all about money for them now

WhileTheChief..
06-11-2017, 06:05 PM
Probably wish they can shoehorn whoever brings the biggest tv audience that doesn't qualify? :greengrin

They’d probably invite Celtic every year if that was the case!

Haymaker
06-11-2017, 06:08 PM
They’d probably invite Celtic every year if that was the case!

Possibly but do they draw as much as AC Milan, Inter, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United... All of whom have missed it recently. They've already looked at inviting teams that don't qualify if they're big enough!

WhileTheChief..
06-11-2017, 06:13 PM
All they need to do is sign some players from China or S Korea and suddenly they’ve got a huge fan base again over there.

I do think there is an awful lot of interest in them in both North and South America already. All those damn Scots and Irish immigrants from days gone by!

Keep Celtic busy in the Champs League and we can sneak up on them in the league :greengrin

Michael
06-11-2017, 09:02 PM
As much as I would like to see us in the Champions League (which is still a long shot with 2 places), all countries should only have one spot anyway. It rediculous that England have 5 teams in it this year.

Joe6-2
06-11-2017, 09:08 PM
As much as I would like to see us in the Champions League (which is still a long shot with 2 places), all countries should only have one spot anyway. It rediculous that England have 5 teams in it this year.

It's an absolute scandal, greed, greed and more greed. Money is all EUFA are interested in

Hibbyradge
07-11-2017, 01:53 PM
What needs to happen for Scotland to gate another Champions League qualification spot?

Brown paper bag.
Wad of money.
UEFA official.

sorted.

If only it was as easy as that.

Unfortunately, it involves our teams being successful.

SuperAllyMcleod
07-11-2017, 01:53 PM
We just need Celtic to win the Europa League and lose the SPL - surely that’s not too much to ask?

Carheenlea
07-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Possibly but do they draw as much as AC Milan, Inter, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United... All of whom have missed it recently. They've already looked at inviting teams that don't qualify if they're big enough!

I'd say they probably do.

Haymaker
07-11-2017, 09:59 PM
I'd say they probably do.

I don't agree but never mind.

Hibbyradge
07-11-2017, 10:16 PM
I don't agree but never mind.

Celtic are huge globally, bigger in many countries than most of the teams in the UK outside the top 5 or so in England.

Haymaker
07-11-2017, 10:26 PM
Celtic are huge globally, bigger in many countries than most of the teams in the UK outside the top 5 or so in England.

I'd agree they are bigger than all outside the English top 5 in the UK. But it wasn't celtc they were trying to shoehorn into the group stages a few years back when they weren't making it. It was AC Milan/inter etc.

Renfrew_Hibby
08-11-2017, 08:52 AM
I thought that there was a rule coming into place that guarantees spots for Inter,AC and various other clubs from the big 5 leagues irrespective of where they finished up in their own leagues.
All at the expense of teams from the diddy nations.

Carheenlea
08-11-2017, 09:05 AM
I'd agree they are bigger than all outside the English top 5 in the UK. But it wasn't celtc they were trying to shoehorn into the group stages a few years back when they weren't making it. It was AC Milan/inter etc.

They probably see Celtic as a bit of a nuisance. A genuinely big club with big support both at home and elsewhere that appeals in a commercial basis, but competitively way short of the quality required to compete with the top European sides.

Winston Ingram
08-11-2017, 10:24 AM

It's very unlikely. Clubs get papped in the Europa and Celtic get battered year after year. We're heading the other way.

I also heard, albeit not through the best of sources, that UEFA are reconsidering the Champions route/league route split due to the performance of those getting through. With the odd exception, the qualifiers from the Champions route have taken some utter batterings and absolutely none have qualified for the next round.

Over the last 4 years Napoli, Nice, Hoffenheim, Besiktas, Roma, Villareal, Fenerbahce, Lille, Lyon, Monaco, Lazio have gone out via the league route and the likes of Astana, Qarabag, BATE, Maccabi, Celtic, Malmo, Ludogorets, Viktoria Plzeň, Cluj have got through the champions route.

WeeRussell
08-11-2017, 11:36 AM

Here's hoping Hearts' amazing new stadium is ready soon then :greengrin