PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember "Irvine Jambo"?

andybev1
06-11-2017, 06:46 AM
http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/173178-anyone-remember-irvine-jambo/

I seen the above thread on sickbag last night Sounds Hilarious and on the whole I could not believe anyone with half a brain fell for it. Anyone around then?

Peevemor
06-11-2017, 07:15 AM
http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/173178-anyone-remember-irvine-jambo/

I seen the above thread on sickbag last night Sounds Hilarious and on the whole I could not believe anyone with half a brain fell for it. Anyone around then?Kahoonasgate!

I remember at least one poster on here who gave him a hard time about the life he claimed to have lead.

andybev1
06-11-2017, 07:39 AM
It was a long time ag0 - early 2000's I think I read - people were probably less savvy to the wierd people you can get online but I would like to think I would also see through it. A champion boxer married to a bollywood star and also a millionaire. :blah:

lapsedhibee
06-11-2017, 08:01 AM
It was easy for a high grade fantasist to thrive in an environment where everyone else was just a standard grade fantasist. Things have moved on now though. Reading threads today about the megastand it's the standard grade fantasists who jump out as unusual.

Pretty Boy
06-11-2017, 08:04 AM
I think a poster on Kickback nails the situation when he says the guy never made all his claims in one post or in a short space of time. They were gradually dropped into conversations as he spun his web of lies.

It only really got out of hand when he killed his character off and was outed. The lengths he went to to cover his tracks with fake social media profiles and so on was unbelievable.

I don't think many on here suspected 'Kahoonas' was any more than a bit of a Walter Mitty type. Certainly few would have believed he didn't even exist (which I suppose he did as he was someones 'alter ego').

On one hand it was a pretty horrible thing to do and a lot of people were genuinely saddened to hear of his 'death'. I dread to think of the consequences had infamous parachute jump gone wrong. On the other hand the guy clearly had issues and I jole he got the help he needed.

Nakedmanoncrack
06-11-2017, 08:07 AM
I knew him from the TAMB (Tartan army message board), was insane people refused to consider that he wasn't genuine, the few sensible people abused for casting doubts on his far fetched stories.

This guy jumped out a plane in his memory -

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/jumpforcreag

:LOL::LOL:

andybev1
06-11-2017, 08:12 AM
It was easy for a high grade fantasist to thrive in an environment where everyone else was just a standard grade fantasist. Things have moved on now though. Reading threads today about the megastand it's the standard grade fantasists who jump out as unusual.

ha ha - very true

although after yesterday there was a decent amount of realists talking about the possibility of a relegation fight.

sleeping giant
06-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Did someone from here not do a parachute jump to raise money for him ?

Tobias Funke
06-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Did someone from here not do a parachute jump to raise money for him ?

I think it was that Rubyhibee/IvanDrago muppet who reappears here now and again in the hope nobody notices the absolute pish he talks.

I think he had around 10,000 posts on Keechback too. Bizarre.

givescotlandfreedom
06-11-2017, 10:40 AM
I think it was that Rubyhibee/IvanDrago muppet who reappears here now and again in the hope nobody notices the absolute pish he talks.

It was Quagmire who did the jump.

My_Wife_Camille
06-11-2017, 10:50 AM

No him Higgo. Was someone else who still posts on here though

Pete
06-11-2017, 11:14 AM
It’s bad patter laughing at the guy who did the jump. Heart of gold IMO.

You can understand it happening over on the Hearts forum though, trying to deflect the fact that it was one of their own who was the weirdo in all of this.

Mr White
06-11-2017, 11:16 AM
It’s bad patter laughing at the guy who did the jump. Heart of gold IMO.

You can understand it happening over on the Hearts forum though, trying to deflect the fact that it was one of their own who was the weirdo in all of this.

:agree:

The guy raised £500 for cancer research. The only positive to come out of the situation by the looks of it.

AgentDaleCooper
06-11-2017, 11:42 AM
i jumped out of a plane for the guy...i used to be quagmire on here. i also used to be a bit more of a idiot than i am now (i hope)

also, i genuinely don't mind people laughing about it - objectively speaking, it's a pretty hilarious story :aok:

Hibernia&Alba
06-11-2017, 11:44 AM
I have no idea what this is about; it must have been before my time on here. Some right nutters on the internet :greengrin

Peevemor
06-11-2017, 11:50 AM
i jumped out of a plane for the guy...i used to be quagmire on here. i also used to be a bit more of a idiot than i am now (i hope) :aok:

:aok:

The thing is, the guy was a decent poster (even for a yam). As has been said previously, the unbelievable stuff was well dispersed over various threads, many of which I for one didn't even read. I think it was in the days before the i-spy thing was introduced, so people only read threads that caught their eye, instead of seeing all posts arriving in real time.

To be fair, although the guy obviously had issues, he wasn't dishonest in a criminal way and IIRC he eventually held up his hands when people started fundraising in his "memory".

Hibernia&Alba
06-11-2017, 11:51 AM

The thing is, the guy was a decent poster (even for a yam). As has been said previously, the unbelievable stuff was well dispersed over various threads, many of which I for one didn't even read. I think it was in the days before the i-spy thing was introduced, so people only read threads that caught their eye, instead of seeing all posts arriving in real time.

To be fair, although the guy obviously had issues, he wasn't dishonest in a criminal way and IIRC he eventually held up his hands when people started fundraising in his "memory".

Was he a Jambo, or a Hibs fan pretending to be a crazy Jambo? :greengrin

-Jonesy-
06-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Was he a Jambo, or a Hibs fan pretending to be a crazy Jambo? :greengrin

A la Vlad and Budgey?

Pretty Boy
06-11-2017, 12:07 PM

As I touched on earlier it's easy with hindsight to say how ridiculous it all was. However at the time many didn't want to believe the worst because, as you say, he was a decent poster. He made good points, was respectful and affable and made his points articulately. There was quite a good few Hearts fans posted on here prior to and around that time who were decent guys. As the Romanov saga got more ridiculous things became a bit less friendly. Fore example I know a couple of them didn't take well to all Hearts fans being given a set signature and profile picture, which I think is a bit lacking in humour considering it was clearly a bit light hearted banter.

The message board, and general social media, culture has changed in the last decade and I'm not sure that's necessarily for the better.

IGRIGI
06-11-2017, 12:11 PM
The charity sky dive part is hilarious 😂

Killiehibbie
06-11-2017, 12:30 PM

I seen the above thread on sickbag last night Sounds Hilarious and on the whole I could not believe anyone with half a brain fell for it. Anyone around then?Bull**** detector would be ringing at successful Scottish heavyweight claims.

Beefster
06-11-2017, 12:35 PM
The original thread on Sickbag detailing the story / investigating the lies was as entertaining as anything that I've read on t'Internet.

marinello59
06-11-2017, 12:36 PM
The charity sky dive part is hilarious 😂

Aye, somebody putting football rivalries aside for compassionate reasons is funny right enough eh? The fact that the guy turned out to be a fantasist doesn’t help when genuine cases come calling, it all adds to the breakdown of trust.

Keith_M
06-11-2017, 01:30 PM
I claimed to be a former Window Cleaner, who gave it up and went to Uni as a Mature Student, got a First Class Honours in Computing Science, married a German, lived in Vienna and Munich for years, developing Software for Air Traffic Control & Banks, and have only recently moved back to the UK.

Now I'm beginning to doubt myself whether any of that is true and I strongly suspect I'm just some jakey living just off the Grassmarket, sniffing glue and begging a few coins off gullible punters.

:wink:

Iain G
06-11-2017, 02:04 PM
Now I'm beginning to doubt myself whether any of that is true and I strongly suspect I'm just some jakey living just off the Grassmarket, sniffing glue and begging a few coins off gullible punters.

You are Gary MacKay and I claim my few coins :greengrin

Nakedmanoncrack
06-11-2017, 02:08 PM
i jumped out of a plane for the guy...i used to be quagmire on here. i also used to be a bit more of a idiot than i am now (i hope)

also, i genuinely don't mind people laughing about it - objectively speaking, it's a pretty hilarious story :aok:

It is, and it's good that you can see the funny side of it.

Hibernia&Alba
06-11-2017, 02:11 PM

Nothing to be embarrassed about. You did a good deed for someone who turned out to be nuts.

Bostonhibby
06-11-2017, 03:30 PM

also, i genuinely don't mind people laughing about it - objectively speaking, it's a pretty hilarious story :aok:You're the better man[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

andybev1
06-11-2017, 03:58 PM

Did the media bother you at the time mate? sounds like a nightmare. I also read he did a lot of his 'work' in private messages rather than just out in the open so you built up a friendship - a bit like a episode of platonic catfish (j/k). Seriously though a lot of people were very upset so it is not as if you were alone and you come out of it looking like the decent sort you obvs are.

Hibrandenburg
06-11-2017, 05:19 PM
I claimed to be a former Window Cleaner, who gave it up and went to Uni as a Mature Student, got a First Class Honours in Computing Science, married a German, lived in Vienna and Munich for years, developing Software for Air Traffic Control & Banks, and have only recently moved back to the UK.

Knowing you grew up in Wallyford in the 70's my money would be on option 2. :wink:

Pete
06-11-2017, 05:33 PM

Didn’t realise it was you. You’re a good man. :aok:

By the looks of your Just giving page, even Kyle from The View was tricked.

Keith_M
06-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Knowing you grew up in Wallyford in the 70's my money would be on option 2. :wink:

Sorry for the late reply, I had to go get my Methadone Prescription.

RyeSloan
06-11-2017, 11:34 PM

I seen the above thread on sickbag last night Sounds Hilarious and on the whole I could not believe anyone with half a brain fell for it. Anyone around then?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.scotsman.com/news/anger-as-tragic-jambo-tale-revealed-as-hoax-1-1323753/amp

I don't remember it quite like this says...I'm positive there was quite a few on here that had open suspicions about this dude.

In fact I'm pretty sure his untimely death was as a result of increased scrutiny on here, his stories had long gone awry before he popped his clogs. I'm also pretty sure those same doubts were raised on his 'death' thread.

Maybe not tho..it was a while ago now but it's defo a story that sticks in the mind as despite the above the boy certainly spent a huge amount of time and effort playing out his 'Uncle'.

A strange tale indeed.

Thecat23
07-11-2017, 12:03 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.scotsman.com/news/anger-as-tragic-jambo-tale-revealed-as-hoax-1-1323753/amp

I don't remember it quite like this says...I'm positive there was quite a few on here that had open suspicions about this dude.

In fact I'm pretty sure his untimely death was as a result of increased scrutiny on here, his stories had long gone awry before he popped his clogs. I'm also pretty sure those same doubts were raised on his 'death' thread.

Maybe not tho..it was a while ago now but it's defo a story that sticks in the mind as despite the above the boy certainly spent a huge amount of time and effort playing out his 'Uncle'.

A strange tale indeed.

He should be hired to be a script writer for one of the soaps. Corrie or Eastenders as that story he told wouldn’t look out of place on those shows.

Hibernia&Alba
07-11-2017, 12:04 AM
Was the guy just the ultimate troll or was he totally crazy?

Bay Area Hibees
07-11-2017, 04:47 AM
Missed this but have to say the thread is class.

Pretty Boy
07-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Was the guy just the ultimate troll or was he totally crazy?

IIRC in his explanation he said he had had a cancer scare and sunk into a depression and created a fantasy life to escape his own issues. Certainly something along those lines. Whether people believe that or think he was just making excuses for his behaviour is another matter but I tended towards giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Sadly the thread on kickback was purged a few years ago when they upgraded, it was absolutely gripping stuff at the time as the whole thing unfolded. The thread on the TAMB was brilliant as well but it also appears to have disappeared.

Hibernia&Alba
07-11-2017, 09:20 AM
IIRC in his explanation he said he had had a cancer scare and sunk into a depression and created a fantasy life to escape his own issues. Certainly something along those lines. Whether people believe that or think he was just making excuses for his behaviour is another matter but I tended towards giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Sadly the thread on kickback was purged a few years ago when they upgraded, it was absolutely gripping stuff at the time as the whole thing unfolded. The thread on the TAMB was brilliant as well but it also appears to have disappeared.

That makes it even more bizarre :greengrin. Sounds like one of those cases where you just never know whether someone is being truthful or not.

Firestarter
07-11-2017, 09:43 AM
Ffs that's bat**** mental. :)

1875STEVE
07-11-2017, 09:49 AM
This quote from the evening news story is the best bit, after he admitted it...

I won't be back at Tynecastle or Hampden for the foreseeable future."

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

You got that right.

:greengrin:greengrin

surreyhibbie
07-11-2017, 09:51 AM
Sorry for the late reply, I had to go get my Methadone Prescription.

nothing wrong with Wallyford mate, went to school there.:greengrin

sometimes

RyeSloan
07-11-2017, 10:13 AM
This quote from the evening news story is the best bit, after he admitted it...

:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

You got that right.

:greengrin:greengrin

Yeah I laughed at that...a truly prophetic statement! [emoji23][emoji23]

Keith_M
07-11-2017, 09:39 PM
nothing wrong with Wallyford mate, went to school there.:greengrin

sometimes

Wally Toi, Ya Bass!