PDA

View Full Version : Gates outside The West yesterday

green day
05-11-2017, 08:17 AM
Anybody else notice they were closed post match? I spoke to the steward and he said the police had recategorised the match in the morning and they had to close the gates!

I just walked round but there was at least one set of wheelchair users inconvenienced by this.

So, you had to exit via the gates at the ticket office and walk round to where you started!!

Just a total waste of time for what? A whole 700 marauding crazed Dundee fans 😂😂

As I walked round, I asked a couple of the police who didn't have a scooby.

lord bunberry
05-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Anybody else notice they were closed post match? I spoke to the steward and he said the police had recategorised the match in the morning and they had to close the gates!

I just walked round but there was at least one set of wheelchair users inconvenienced by this.

So, you had to exit via the gates at the ticket office and walk round to where you started!!

Just a total waste of time for what? A whole 700 marauding crazed Dundee fans 😂😂

I noticed a policeman in the East yesterday, normally it’s just stewards for a cat b game.

LustForLeith
05-11-2017, 09:00 AM

I thought the same. We were trying to get to the retail park and were told it would be a thirty minute wait so we walked round past the ticket office!

Why close that gate if they're worried about trouble but not put up the barrier as well in the street?

Danderhall Hibs
05-11-2017, 09:02 AM
They were open and I went through after the game?

IWasThere2016
05-11-2017, 09:11 AM

They were. Noticed Security, LD and RP having a lengthy chat post-match and think this may have been the topic of convo.

LancsHibs
05-11-2017, 09:13 AM
Yes I got held up at the gates also, seemed quite pointless as there was nothing to stop Hibs fans from walking around so fans were mixed anyway! Gates opened after I was there only a couple of minutes and fans merged passing over Bothwell St bridge. Didn’t see a hint of trouble whilst walking up to Waverley. Maybe there was some suggestion of trouble pre or during the game?:dunno:

Golden Bear
05-11-2017, 09:14 AM
They were initially closed but were opened up after 10 minutes or so.

green day
05-11-2017, 09:19 AM
They were. Noticed Security, LD and RP having a lengthy chat post-match and think this may have been the topic of convo.

I wonder then if it was a short lived cockup,they realised their mistake and opened up?

I understand the reasons after Celtic, Huns, Hearts, Aberdeen but no other support has any real potential for bother.

Keith_M
05-11-2017, 09:42 AM
There was a 'line' of about 10 stewards to prevent Hibs Fans in the South Stand from leaving past the Dundee Support.

Everybody waited two minutes, decided it was stupid, then just walked past them. The Police looked bemused by the whole thing.

Baw187
05-11-2017, 09:48 AM
I got caught in that too. It was even more baffling given there were Hibs fans in the south existing with the Dundee fans!!!

Danderhall Hibs
05-11-2017, 09:50 AM
They were initially closed but were opened up after 10 minutes or so.

It does take ages to get out of the F5 Upper mind you so maybe it had all been sorted by the time I got there.

Keith_M
05-11-2017, 09:56 AM
I got caught in that too. It was even more baffling given there were Hibs fans in the south existing with the Dundee fans!!!

Be fair, I did actually wave to you guys as I walked past the locked gate

:wink:

neil7908
05-11-2017, 09:56 AM
It seemed a bit silly but they weren't closed long to be honest. Not sure it was even 10 minutes and the stewards were pretty polite and happy to explain.

Michael
05-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Thought you meant Bill Gates was coming to watch Hibs.

macca70
05-11-2017, 10:17 AM
There were 3 police officers walking round Albion Rd against the flow of Hibs Fans before the game about 2.50pm.

Seemed to be looking for someone or maybe they are still working on their project of identifying folk from the Cup Final pictures.

lord bunberry
05-11-2017, 10:39 AM
I came out the East and walked round the back of the south to get to my car in the retail park. It takes that long to get out of the East, so there wasn’t anyone blocking my way.

RoYO!
05-11-2017, 10:50 AM
I came out the East and walked round the back of the south to get to my car in the retail park. It takes that long to get out of the East, so there wasn’t anyone blocking my way.

Yep I did that too- handy getting that gate opened.

Though it's also taking ages to get out the retail park now! Stupid 8k+ crowds!

lord bunberry
05-11-2017, 10:55 AM

It was everyman for themselves trying to get out that car park yesterday. No one as giving in inch.

hibby6270
05-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Thought it odd at the time but yeah, there were more police patrolling after the match.

3 or 4 in Albion Road outside the West (FF end) and even more surprised to see a couple of police at the top of St Clair Street where there’s usually just the normal G4S guys patrolling the barriers to stop cars. Presume they’d been made aware of something possibly going down but surely not amongst home fans at that end of the ground?

LustForLeith
05-11-2017, 11:35 AM
Seen on twitter that security didn’t allow a guy I know entry as he’s in a wheelchair and didn’t have a carer.

Disappointing

Golden Bear
05-11-2017, 12:18 PM

It was absolute gridlock around that whole area yesterday after the game.

Eyrie
05-11-2017, 12:20 PM
It was ridiculous.

The woman steward was apologetic, saying she'd been told that the gates were to be kept shut but she hadn't been given any explanation why.

What made it even more ridiculous was that whilst we were stuck behind the gates, there were Hibs fans walking both ways on Albion Road so there was no attempt to segregate the fans (not that there is any reason to do so when we play Dundee).

fat freddy
05-11-2017, 01:42 PM
I got stuck behind the gate briefly but they opened them pretty quickly after I arrived. Seemed a bit pointless, its not like Hibs and Dundee fans are noted for a dislike of one another.
The retail park car park was as busy as I have seen it yesterday, 20 minutes to get out, it seems that the word is out and its now common knowledge that theres free parking and a quick short cut only minutes from the ground. I knew it wouldn't last forever

Scouse Hibee
05-11-2017, 02:42 PM

They were closed when I left the West.

Gatecrasher
05-11-2017, 09:29 PM

So you can go towards the south stand from the east after the game now?

fat freddy
05-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Take the right turn after the block of flats and you will walk behind the Dunbar End and come out at The Lawrie Reilly Bridge and then onto The retail park.
Handy for Cat A games.

monktonharp
05-11-2017, 10:17 PM
was this not all to do with the mob trying to hand out leaflets? not that I actually saw any of them. unless it is targeted for another game??

lord bunberry
05-11-2017, 11:40 PM
So you can go towards the south stand from the east after the game now?
Yes, as long as there’s hibs fans in the south stand.

SON OF PADDY
05-11-2017, 11:44 PM
As I've previously stated !
Why don't they just hold back the away fan's ?
It happens at other grounds.

Gatecrasher
06-11-2017, 08:01 AM

Thanks will take a look next time.

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2017, 08:09 AM

Any game I think - I went round that way after the derby.

lord bunberry
06-11-2017, 08:30 AM
Any game I think - I went round that way after the derby.
I didn’t know that. Do you have to wait till the away fans are gone?

Bristolhibby
06-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Seen on twitter that security didn’t allow a guy I know entry as he’s in a wheelchair and didn’t have a carer.

Disappointing

Not being a health and safety killjoy, but does the club not have a duty of care to ensure that all disabled fans can get out in an emergency?

Shame, someone from Hibs couldn’t have taken him in after kick off and sat with him.

J

Danderhall Hibs
06-11-2017, 10:25 AM
I didn’t know that. Do you have to wait till the away fans are gone?

There was no road closure or anything when I went round.