PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Dundee 4 November)

Jonnyboy
04-11-2017, 06:42 PM
The sun was shining on Leith today as upwards of 16,000 fans made their way to Easter Road for the match against Neil McCann’s Dundee. Of course Hibs were fresh off the back of three wins and three clean sheets in a seven day spell whilst the Dens Park outfit had lost their previous four league outings. With Anthony Stokes fit again, many felt he would be reinstated to the starting eleven but Neil Lennon chose instead to go with the team that had started against Kilmarnock and notched up an impressive 3-0 away win.

As the teams were announced I learned that McCann had dropped keeper Scott Bain and that pleased me because his performance in the corresponding fixture at Dens Park earlier in the season helped them win a point they scarcely deserved. It would be Elliot Parish between the posts and the stand in stood no chance as Hibs opened the scoring after a minute of play. Martin Boyle gained possession just inside the Dundee half and sprinted off towards the visitors’ goal. Beating two or three men on the way, Squirrel made an angle for himself as he entered the 18 yard box before rifling a low shot into the far corner of the net. I’ll be honest here and say I wondered whether the oft mentioned hammering of some team might actually transpire today, especially as Hibs pushed on in those opening exchanges, but it was not to be.

With McGinn virtually anonymous and McGeouch struggling to find a telling forward pass, Dundee began to take control of the game and after 20 minutes, Deacon bullied Lewis Stevenson off the ball before delivering a cross to the far post where Marcus Haber outjumped everyone to head home an equaliser. From then until half time the visitors dominated the ball and but for a fine block by Paul Hanlon they might have scored a second goal.

One thing that annoyed me and I’d wager almost the entire Hibernian support in that first half was the quite atrocious refereeing of John Beaton. Every time a Dundee player fell over a free kick was awarded and every time a Hibs player went down it was ‘play on’ and stop complaining. The man is hopeless and quite how he gets to referee at all, never mind at Grade 1 level is a mystery. On one particular occasion, Stokesy who replaced the injured Dylan had his legs chopped from under him but in Beaton’s eyes that was a fair challenge. More on Beaton later …..

Something had to change in the second half if Hibs were to get anything positive out of it and so it was interesting to see that Neil Lennon introduced Porteous and Slivka for Gray and Barker. That meant a change to three at the back and a bit more bite in midfield with Stokes playing in behind Murray. The effect was apparent as Hibs began to control more of the passages of play but not until after Rocky had pulled off a quite stunning save low to his right as a shot from the tricky El Bakhtaoui came through a sea of legs. In fact it could be argued that Rocky’s save provided a wake-up call to his team mates as they swarmed downfield in a move that ended with Stokes taking a Hanlon pass in his stride before netting but unfortunately the flag had gone up for offside.

Next came a further instalment in the John Beaton show when Simon Murray was flagged offside just inside the Dundee half. He didn’t look offside but it was given and a Dundee player placed the ball down just inside the Hibs half. Immediate protests from Hibs players were ignored as the referee allowed the kick to be taken.

When Ryan Porteous and a Dundee defender competed for a dropping ball, Beaton blew for a free kick against Porteous whilst the Dundee man went down like a sack of tatties. John McGinn was right there where it happened and bent to shout at the Dundee player for his apparent playacting which caused other Dundee players to step in. Before you knew it there was a scrum of a dozen or so players all pushing and jostling. It was mostly handbags and once things had died down, Beaton booked Porteous, Stokes and Hendry for their part in it all. In truth, red cards might have been in order for a few players but Beaton took the easy option.

Another good save from Marciano kept us on the edge of our seats before a quite brilliant second goal put Hibs ahead. Strangely it all started from an intercepted Hanlon pass half way inside the Dundee half. For whatever reason, the Dundee player gave the ball straight back to Paul who quickly picked out the unmarked Stokes about 20 yards from goal. Stokesy looked up, saw Simon Murray finding space and played a wonderful pass to the human dynamo who poked the ball home past Bishop.

The visitors were flagging now and Hibs should really have put the game to bed. A Boyle effort was cleared off the line before Murray wriggled free on the right and with both McGinn and Stokes in the six yard box, Simon sent in a high ball that cleared the heads of both players. Another Beaton mystery came along next when Kamara chopped down John McGinn and got a finger wagging telling off and then just a couple of minutes later the foul was replicated when McGinn downed Kamara but Beaton had the yellow card out before he’d even blown his whistle.

As the game petered out, Hanlon’s fierce shot went just wide and Hibs ran down the clock by retaining possession via a series of free kicks and corners. On the final whistle, Neil McCann made a beeline for Beaton and I’m left wondering what on earth he could have been complaining about. Perhaps he felt Kamara should have been booked for series of fouls or that El Bakhtaoui should have been booked much earlier than he was. No? I don’t think so.

The players

Rocky – absolutely no chance with the goal and his save from El Bakhtaoui was priceless.

David Gray – started well but seemed to fall into the same first half malaise of many of his colleagues.

Efe – no pipe and no slippers today, just an afternoon where Marcus Haber dominated him.

Paul Hanlon – excellent start and an excellent second half where he drove his team mates on and deservedly won both the sponsors and my man of the match award.

Lewis – the wee man had a torrid first half with Deacon causing him all sorts of problems. Definitely at fault for the Dundee goal though he’d be entitled to ask where the hell Brandon Barker was at the time. Had a good and strong second half.

Boyler – a whirlwind start from Boyler with a wonderfully created and taken opening goal. Gave Kevin Holt a few problems throughout the 90 minutes.

Dylan – struggled to get going and limped off after 35 minutes with what look like a hamstring problem.

SJM – for me, this was John’s poorest performance in a Hibs shirt. Completely missing for most of the first half though he did finish the game strongly.

Marv – flitted in and out of things although he does well dropping in to cover when Hanlon and Efe venture forward.

Brandon Barker – so poor today with very few if any telling forward runs. On the plus side, it was his winning of a fifty/fifty ball that set Boyler free for the opening goal.

Simon – I really rate Simon. His movement is excellent as is his energy and willingness to close players down. Took up an excellent position to receive the pass from Stokes that brought the winning goal.

Stokesy – great to see him back and great to see him bring others into the game with incisive passes. Worked his socks off today and his pass for the winner was sublime.

Ryan Porteous – got the whole of the second half and played well. Rarely looks flustered and can pick a pass.

Slivka – so calm on the ball he helps others to reduce their anxiety levels! Played well in the five man midfield.

Neil Lennon – would have been raging I’m sure when Hibs scored early and then let Dundee dominate them until half time. Introduction of the two subs and a change of shape worked a treat and he deserves praise for that.

John Beaton – all I can say is that it’s just as well there’s a swear filter on Hibs.net. I know there’s a guy in the stand that marks a ref’s performance and unless that guy was wearing a blindfold he should offer up honest criticism and mark Beaton as a one out of ten.

MKHIBEE
04-11-2017, 06:52 PM
A very good read as always but interesting to see that Eliot Parish kept goal for Dundee. Last week Trevor Carson played for Motherwell. 7 years ago Carson was on loan at Lincoln and; after a heavy defeat he was recalled to,Sunderland. He was replaced, on loan from Villa, by Parish who stayed till the end of the season when Lincoln were relegated into the conference. I have always maintained that Lincoln would have stayed up if Carson had stayed. Parish was brutal, surprised to see he is still in the game.

erin go bragh
04-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Think your score for Beaton is a bit generous . The East stand linesman was just as bad ( eyes painted on )

ACLeith
04-11-2017, 06:57 PM
A very good read as always but interesting to see that Eliot Parish kept goal for Dundee. Last week Trevor Carson played for Motherwell. 7 years ago Carson was on loan at Lincoln and; after a heavy defeat he was recalled to,Sunderland. He was replaced, on loan from Villa, by Parish who stayed till the end of the season when Lincoln were relegated into the conference. I have always maintained that Lincoln would have stayed up if Carson had stayed. Parish was brutal, surprised to see he is still in the game.

Wow, fab knowledge. Ever thought of going on "Pointless"? Seriously, he did ok today, though did wonder if the first caught him cold so early.

Just Alf
04-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Excellent read as always! Thank you :agree:

I do wonder if the opposing fans read these and what they think!

GGTTH!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ACLeith
04-11-2017, 07:04 PM
One of these weeks I'll read your report and say "I disagree, you're talking rubbish". On second thoughts, i won't, as always you absolutely nail it

lord bunberry
04-11-2017, 07:08 PM
I didn’t think sjm was that bad tbh. It’s maybe the high standards that he sets, but I thought he was good today.

Tornadoes70
04-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Great piece as always :aok:. I totally agree in regards to Simon Murray. I'm not just saying this but I was delighted when we signed him as he was scoring every other week for Dundee Utd and thought he could do well with us. How long will it be before Mackay or the next Scotland manager is looking at him. There's not many others who spring to mind who keeps banging in the goals and has a fantastic engine and is making intelligent runs into the right positions. A great signing.

GGTTH

Mikey
04-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Spot on John.

I thought the game management from 85 mins onwards was excellent. The ball was barely in our half.

thebakerboy
04-11-2017, 07:26 PM
Excellent report much as I saw the game myself but Stokesy was not off side. As to the offside free kick being taken from Hibs half , it would appear there has been a rule change where the free kick can be taken either where the player touches the ball or from where he was when the ball was played thus meaning Beaton may have been correct in allowing this kick to be taken from the Hibs half (obviously FIFA nonsense but hey ho rules is rules:rules:.)

Smartie
04-11-2017, 07:34 PM
Very little to disagree with.

I think you're right to highlight the fact that today was a day for alternative heroes to emerge and make an impression - it wasn't the usual suspects who won it for us today.

McGinn was poor, especially in the first half, McGeouch was struggling to make an impact on the game before going off injured. Barker really wasn't himself, surely either injured or totally knackered. Ambrose had a couple of shaky moments in his own box during the first half and was knocked about a bit by Haber.

Hanlon was immense (as usual), Rocky made a game-changing match-winning save, Stevenson turned a really ropey performance into a superb one, Stokes came on and made a huge impact off the bench. Boyle was our only player to really stand up and be counted during a poor first half that saw us lucky not to be behind to bottom of the league. I was particularly happy to see the back 3 keep their composure, use the ball well and pile forward when appropriate during the second half (also acknowledging Bartley's awareness to drop in when they did so).

You are, of course, right on the money as regards Lennon and Beaton as well.

CMurdoch
04-11-2017, 07:45 PM
A few wee additions
After coming off, McGeough was sitting in the dugout with an ice pack under his left upper leg. Didn't look massively upset so hopefully this means it is not a continuation of his pelvic issues of last season.
Barker was injured after about 38 minutes and should have been replaced a couple of minutes later when it was obvious he would not be running it off. Hope the additional 7 minutes he had to play did not cause further damage.

Jonnyboy
04-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Excellent report much as I saw the game myself but Stokesy was not off side. As to the offside free kick being taken from Hibs half , it would appear there has been a rule change where the free kick can be taken either where the player touches the ball or from where he was when the ball was played thus meaning Beaton may have been correct in allowing this kick to be taken from the Hibs half (obviously FIFA nonsense but hey ho rules is rules:rules:.)

Another daft and unnecessary change IMO :greengrin

pacoluna
04-11-2017, 09:37 PM
Every week a different poster always says " for me this was SJM'S worst performance" :faf:

Jonnyboy
04-11-2017, 09:39 PM
Every week a different poster always says " for me this was SJM'S worst performance" :faf:

Opinions, eh?

Jones28
04-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Marciano - stunning save that did as much to win us the game as any goal 9/10

Gray - looked pretty solid throughout, subbed at half time 6/10
Ambrose - a couple of overly Efe moments, wasn't as dominant in the air as he has been recently 7/10
Hanlon - really strong and assured and some great passes and runs out of defence, particularly in the second half. MOTM 9/10
Stevenson - had a torrid time in the first half, was a different man in the second when we changed tha shape 6/10

Barker - anonymous and if he was injured he shouldn't have declared himself fit. 4/10
McGinn - not his usual standards today, though like everyone else there was improvement in the second half 6/10
Bartley - like Tuesday the midfield couldn't get close to anyone, but again the second half we were a different team 6/10
Mcgeouch - gutted to see Dylan injured, he's really been coming on to a game 5/10
Boyle - tireless worker, some great deliveries, tracked his man, played both his positions really well 8/10

Murray - thankless task in the first half, great effort from him through and finished his chance really well 8/10

Stokes - was terrific when he came on, though he must temper his aggression as that's a couple of times this season he's gotten away with things 8/10
Slivka - there's a player in there, would like to see him get more time on the park. Was a bit hesitant at one point wheb he should have gone for goal 7/10
Porteous - we have a player here 8/10

Shrekko
04-11-2017, 09:44 PM
Opinions, eh?

Probably was one of his poorest games for Hibs today I agree ....but he was still magnificent :-)

Jonnyboy
04-11-2017, 09:46 PM
Probably was one of his poorest games for Hibs today I agree ....but he was still magnificent :-)

:greengrin Super, even :wink:

NAE NOOKIE
05-11-2017, 12:53 AM
Spot on report as usual, summed up the match very well. That free kick for offside is a strange one .... no matter what FIFA say if you cant be offside in your own half its impossible for the spot of a free kick given for offside to be in your own half surely, if that's not the case the world has gone mad :confused: .... Anyway:

Marciano ..... 8 ...... No chance with the goal and what a brilliant save.

Gray ..... 6 ..... Was playing OK until he was subbed
Ambrose .... 6 .... A couple of real Efe moments and had a harder time than he's been getting lately
Hanlon ..... 9 ...... Doubt he's had a better game this season, contributed hugely to this win
Stevenson .... 6 ..... If his 2nd half had been like his first it would have been a 4 ... but the guy just never gives up

Barker ..... 5 ..... Didn't contribute much, but didn't get a lot of the ball either
McGeouch .... 6 .... Didn't have as much impact as he's had lately, hate to see him injured, hope he's ok coz he's been outstanding in this winning run.
McGinn ..... 6 .... Largely anonymous in the first half, but improved in the second ... not his best game for us.
Bartley .... 6 ..... Didn't have his best game, but still stuck with it

Boyle .... 8 ..... A brilliant goal and worked his arse off as he always does
Murray .... 7 .... Took his goal really well and his movement was good, let himself down with a couple of poor deliveries from good positions, but what a ball of energy he is.

Subs:
Slivka .... 6 .... Played very well when he came on and definitely made us more dangerous going forward
Porteous ... 6 .... Never put a foot wrong, what a prospect this kid looks
Stokes .... 7 ..... Put in a great shift, played a sublime ball for Murray's goal and I would love to see the one he had chalked off again, it must have been marginal.

Neil Lennon .... 7 ..... Its good to see a manager willing to change things when he can see its going wrong, earned his money today.

I had a feeling a tough run of fixtures in a short period would catch up with us by this game and I wasn't surprised we were a bit flat ... its good that most of the players will now get a few days to recharge their batteries, it was all about the result today and :top marksto the team for getting it. As for Dundee ... I actually thought they looked like a good team waiting to happen, how the hell are they bottom of the league?

andybev1
05-11-2017, 01:50 AM
Think your score for Beaton is a bit generous . The East stand linesman was just as bad ( eyes painted on )

He really was bad. I sit in the second row and at one point the ball clearly went over the line for a throw by a decent amount (for a dundee throw at the time) and how he could not see that is beyond me.
He then put his flag up when Murry was through but was clearly being played onside by at least one Dundee player.

All round, the worst officiating at ER this season and that is saying something

rossevenil
05-11-2017, 07:38 AM
Barker clearly had an issue of sorts yesterday,it looked at 1 point like he was going to throw up from where I was then when Dylan was down getting treatment Barker was down on all fours,don`t know if he was trying to stretch something out or not???
Certainly wasn`t capable of anything today and was not interested in trying to get into space or run with the ball and offered no tracking back to support Stevenson at the back who at the time could have done with the help.

Good summary of the game and I think anyone could see that the run of games we have been on has taken it`s toll and its testament to the team and management we finished with 4 wins in a row and can now regroup with the international break,they boys need it!

Sammy7nil
05-11-2017, 07:42 AM

But you can't be offside in your own half :confused::confused::rolleyes:

hibee_girl
05-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Barker clearly had an issue of sorts yesterday,it looked at 1 point like he was going to throw up from where I was then when Dylan was down getting treatment Barker was down on all fours,don`t know if he was trying to stretch something out or not???
Certainly wasn`t capable of anything today and was not interested in trying to get into space or run with the ball and offered no tracking back to support Stevenson at the back who at the time could have done with the help.

Good summary of the game and I think anyone could see that the run of games we have been on has taken it`s toll and its testament to the team and management we finished with 4 wins in a row and can now regroup with the international break,they boys need it!

Yeah Barker was definitely not right yesterday, it looked to be his left leg that was bothering him.

Good post JB :aok:

danhibees1875
05-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Good summary as always! Did you say you do these for something else and then copy them onto .net?

Rocky - 9 that save won us 3 points IMO.
Gray - 6 reasonable first half, another injury isn't good news.
Hanlon - 9 great game, great player.
Ambrose - 7 a bit too casual at times
Stevenson - 6 poor first half, glad Dundee stopped their winning tactic of targeting him and he done very well in 2nd.

Bartley - 6 not himself but nothing catastrophic
Mcginn - 6 not great today
McGeoch - 5 wasn't working out for him then another injury isn't good news.
Barker - 6 another injury. Great winning of the ball in a 50/50 that led to our goal.
Boyle - 8 great first goal, constant pain for defenders.
Murray - 8 pace, energy, and eye for goal. Decision making at times lacking, could have played easy balls to stokes once each half.

Stokes - 8 some player. Great assist and should have been involved in more goals with a bit more luck.
Slivka - 7 thought he done well when given a proper amount of time. Should have got a shot off earlier at one point.
Portous - 7 comfortable game for the youngster with a bright future.

Lennon - 9 his decisions may have all been forced by injury, but he got them all right. In years gone by, that would have been the end of our winning streak yesterday.

Hopefully the international break has came at the right time, if our injury list has just grown by 3...

Jonnyboy
05-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Good summary as always! Did you say you do these for something else and then copy them onto .net?

Rocky - 9 that save won us 3 points IMO.
Gray - 6 reasonable first half, another injury isn't good news.
Hanlon - 9 great game, great player.
Ambrose - 7 a bit too casual at times
Stevenson - 6 poor first half, glad Dundee stopped their winning tactic of targeting him and he done very well in 2nd.

Bartley - 6 not himself but nothing catastrophic
Mcginn - 6 not great today
McGeoch - 5 wasn't working out for him then another injury isn't good news.
Barker - 6 another injury. Great winning of the ball in a 50/50 that led to our goal.
Boyle - 8 great first goal, constant pain for defenders.
Murray - 8 pace, energy, and eye for goal. Decision making at times lacking, could have played easy balls to stokes once each half.

Stokes - 8 some player. Great assist and should have been involved in more goals with a bit more luck.
Slivka - 7 thought he done well when given a proper amount of time. Should have got a shot off earlier at one point.
Portous - 7 comfortable game for the youngster with a bright future.

Lennon - 9 his decisions may have all been forced by injury, but he got them all right. In years gone by, that would have been the end of our winning streak yesterday.

Hopefully the international break has came at the right time, if our injury list has just grown by 3...

No, these are written up and posted only on dot net 👍

Sas_The_Hibby
05-11-2017, 10:44 AM
No, these are written up and posted only on dot net 👍

I see your game - you hook us in and then you suddenly make them available exclusiely to dot.netters who pay for a Jonnyboy Platinum Membership........ :greengrin

thebakerboy
05-11-2017, 10:53 AM
But he wasnt off side in his own half , he was in the Dundee half when the ball was played but touched it in his own half.

CockneyRebel
05-11-2017, 10:58 AM

Ref showed Murray a raised elbow and nudge which explained to Murray what the free kick was for - it was not an offside decision,

MB62
05-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Thought SJM was totally dominated in that first half, just like most of the rest of our team.
2nd half he seemed to drop a fair bit deeper to gather the ball, giving his marker a bit of a problem, does he go with him and find himself too far up the park, or sit tight and let SJM get more space on the ball. Thought John had a far better 2nd half because of this, particularly in the latter stages when we were trying to run the clock down.

The lads looked really tired on Saturday, as though it was a game too far for them after their recent exertions,so full marks to N.L.for making the changes at half time.

O'Rourke3
05-11-2017, 11:33 AM
:thumbsup: Not much to argue with there. Not sure it was super Js worst performance but we were outnumbered in midfield first half - which Lennon addressed and Barker contributed very little which made it worse. Also thought Dundee were far better than their league position would demonstrate. No pity for them though as they have a prize duck as a manager....

Jonnyboy
05-11-2017, 11:38 AM
I see your game - you hook us in and then you suddenly make them available exclusiely to dot.netters who pay for a Jonnyboy Platinum Membership........ :greengrin

Drat, I’ve been rumbled :greengrin

EVENTUALLY
05-11-2017, 07:29 PM
Thought SJM was totally dominated in that first half, just like most of the rest of our team.
2nd half he seemed to drop a fair bit deeper to gather the ball, giving his marker a bit of a problem, does he go with him and find himself too far up the park, or sit tight and let SJM get more space on the ball. Thought John had a far better 2nd half because of this, particularly in the latter stages when we were trying to run the clock down.

The lads looked really tired on Saturday, as though it was a game too far for them after their recent exertions,so full marks to N.L.for making the changes at half time.

I just thought he was up against a very good opponent who gave John as good as he got. Was impressed by Glen Kamara.