PDA

View Full Version : Who should we...

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 05:57 PM
...sign as our new left back in January?

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

keep the faith
04-11-2017, 05:59 PM

We have one of the best left backs in the league already playing there. No need to look at anyone else.

SaulGoodman
Pish thread zzzz

Flyingwaitor
Pish thread zzzzPish response too zzzzz

Brightside
04-11-2017, 06:00 PM

Did you leave at half time?

Thecat23
04-11-2017, 06:01 PM

Here we go again... Lewis is as solid a left back as you will get in the Scottish Prem. Do you think he’s not good enough?

70KevinHFC62
04-11-2017, 06:02 PM

Somebody has been on the sauce

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:03 PM
Did you leave at half time?No...i watched it all. Cost us a goal in this first half and got Hanlon his booking in the 2nd half with sloppy play. I like Stevenson but he is the weak link on our team. He went to wingback 2nd half so didnt play left back...hence the improvement

O'Rourke3
Who will be the third manager this season at Hearts would be a better question...

stoneyburn hibs

We don't need a new left back. What's the reasoning behind you saying otherwise?

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Who will be the third manager this season at Hearts would be a better question...Ha! Levein is not cutting it! I love it!

Thecat23
No...i watched it all. Cost us a goal in this first half and got Hanlon his booking in the 2nd half with sloppy play. I like Stevenson but he is the weak link on our team. He went to wingback 2nd half so didnt play left back...hence the improvement

Absolute nonsense.

Craig_HFC
‘Flyingwaitor’... more like ‘****ingcluelessaboutfootball’

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:05 PM
We don't need a new left back. What's the reasoning behind you saying otherwise?Stevenson isnt good enough for the prem and is getting found out. Cost us a goal and led to Hanlon beong booked

NORTHERNHIBBY
Flyingwallopper.

Flyingwaitor
Absolute nonsense.Nope

keep the faith
No...i watched it all. Cost us a goal in this first half and got Hanlon his booking in the 2nd half with sloppy play. I like Stevenson but he is the weak link on our team. He went to wingback 2nd half so didnt play left back...hence the improvement

Imagine starting that thread. Support your team man.

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Imagine starting that thread. Support your team man.I do support my team. Its my opinion and im allowed it. You can have yours too. I just thonk we need a new left back. We only have one so there is no competition

Thecat23
04-11-2017, 06:07 PM
Nope

Well it is, he’s a solid left back why pick on him after a Hibs win? He played very well today the whole team in the first half struggled but after that all pulled together.

So for me this thread is poor.

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:08 PM
‘Flyingwaitor’... more like ‘****ingcluelessaboutfootball’Knows plenty about football. Who is our 2nd left back...we dont have one

Craig_HFC
04-11-2017, 06:09 PM
Knows plenty about football. Who is our 2nd left back...we dont have one

That wasn’t your point though, was it?

You’ve realised you were talking pish/nobody agreed with you so you’ve changed your argument.

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Well it is, he’s a solid left back why pick on him after a Hibs win? He played very well today the whole team in the first half struggled but after that all pulled together.

So for me this thread is poor.Who is our back up left back? We dont have one...we need one.
Agreed...first half they were all guff. 2nd much better and a great win.

calumhibee1
04-11-2017, 06:11 PM
I do support my team. Its my opinion and im allowed it. You can have yours too. I just thonk we need a new left back. We only have one so there is no competition

I do think some of the replies have been a bit defensive. I’d agree though that I don’t think we need a new LB and nobody obvious jumps out at me.

keep the faith

Your changing your story. You said we need a new left back and we don't. Stevenson was superb second half today and as consistent a player as you will see. On a day we win again your thread was poor. Really poor.

Flyingwaitor
That wasn’t your point though, was it?

You’ve realised you were talking pish/nobody agreed with you so you’ve changed your argument.No i havn't. At all. Im not fussed nobody agrees. We need a left back as i dont think he is good enough for the prem. He has no competition so nobody to threaten his place

IlDiavola
04-11-2017, 06:12 PM
How about that Gosh guy the gunts had? He took Messi right out of a game apparently :rolleyes:

What a strange thread.

greenlex
04-11-2017, 06:13 PM

Steven Whittaker. Paul Hanlon or Calum Crane can all play there. There’s three.

Brightside
04-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Who is our back up left back? We dont have one...we need one.
Agreed...first half they were all guff. 2nd much better and a great win.

Calum Crane is out backup. Whats your point.

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Your changing your story. You said we need a new left back and we don't. Stevenson was superb second half today and as consistent a player as you will see. On a day we win again your thread was poor. Really poor.Not poor. Im delighted we won. I just think he is the weak link. Nobody else is pushing for his place. We need competition

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:15 PM
Steven Whittaker. Paul Hanlon or Calum Crane can all play there. There’s three.How often is crane on the bench? Would you move Hanlon fron centre half? Whittaker wouldnt be an improvement at left back?

Smartie
04-11-2017, 06:15 PM
That was classic Stevenson today.

I thought that during the first half he was as bad as I've ever seen him. He was getting absolutely roasted down his side, was skinned for their goal and looked all at sea.

That's when you need to be Lewis Stevenson.

Does his head go down? No.

Does he offer the versatility to cope with a change in formation and allow us to change our team around when we were flagging due to fatigue and injury? Yes.

Does he get absolutely torn into the second half and turn his performance around? Yes.

Does he make a significant contribution in both defence and attack in order to contribute to our victory? Yes.

Does he still make the odd mistake? Yes, because he isn't hiding, he's getting on the ball and trying to make things happen.

Crave a new left-back all you want, the football world is full of inferior players who would not give us what Stevenson gave us today, and will continue to give us for a few years yet.

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:16 PM
Calum Crane is out backup. Whats your point.And how often foes he play? Never. Or on the bench? A development squad player shouldnt be his only competition

Brightside
04-11-2017, 06:16 PM
How often is crane on the bench? Would you move Hanlon fron centre half? Whittaker wouldnt be an improvement at left back?

We don't need Crane on the bench. Hanlon can play there if Stevenson is injured during a game.

Libby Hibby
04-11-2017, 06:17 PM
How often is crane on the bench? Would you move Hanlon fron centre half? Whittaker wouldnt be an improvement at left back?

Is Crane not out on loan?

greenlex
04-11-2017, 06:17 PM

Crane isn’t on the bench as we have the other two options. I would t move Hanlon out as I would have Stevenson there. You really are a strange one.

lyonhibs
04-11-2017, 06:18 PM
What a minging thread. January is a notoriously bad time to get anyone of any quality.

I'll trust Lennon's judgement here and if he decides to stick with the only player in our history to win both cups I'll be happy with that.

Libby Hibby
04-11-2017, 06:18 PM
P.S I thought Stevenson did well for the last half hour today, the wee legend is allowed an off day.

dp00
04-11-2017, 06:19 PM
4 wins on a row and folk still moaning [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJP
04-11-2017, 06:19 PM

You must know a lot about football! Plenty Hibs managers have come and gone and trusted Lewis to play at left back but you apparently know better.

BroxburnHibee
04-11-2017, 06:20 PM
So we have Whitty, Hanlon & Crane as back up but we should use some of our tight budget for a backup in January.

Aye alright then.

Thecat23
04-11-2017, 06:21 PM
No i havn't. At all. Im not fussed nobody agrees. We need a left back as i dont think he is good enough for the prem. He has no competition so nobody to threaten his place

He’s not good enough for this league?? Have a word with yourself.

RoYO!
04-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Destabilising nonsense. Simple as that. LS has been selected by every manager who has worked with him over the years. One of the fittest and greatest drive. Gets you a long way in Scotland. An excellent professional.

givescotlandfreedom
04-11-2017, 06:22 PM
4 wins on a row and folk still moaning [emoji85]

There's always one

theonlywayisup
04-11-2017, 06:22 PM

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and agree that we need to sign a new left back or try to see what our young players are like.

Lewis Stevenson struggled in the first half. However, he wasn't alone. All three of the midfield were poor. Gray also struggled.

However, Lewis played very well in the second half. He's played well in the majority of games this season. He is a good player. Any player who replaces him must be a good player and not some of the numpties we've had in the past.

cleanyman
04-11-2017, 06:23 PM
Whether folk like it or not he's an obvious weak link.

Aberdeen targeted him as did Dundee today. I thought he had a really poor first half but fair play he put in an admirable performance in the second

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:24 PM
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and agree that we need to sign a new left back or try to see what our young players are like.

Lewis Stevenson struggled in the first half. However, he wasn't alone. All three of the midfield were poor. Gray also struggled.

However, Lewis played very well in the second half. He's played well in the majority of games this season. He is a good player. Any player who replaces him must be a good player and not some of the numpties we've had in the past.Agreed

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:25 PM
He’s not good enough for this league?? Have a word with yourself.I dont think he is. He cost us a goal today. 3 chances to takle him

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:26 PM
There's always oneIm not moaning. I just think we need a new left back. Im delighted with 4 wins...awesome!

Borderhibbie76
04-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Absolute nonsense.Utter pi#h TC your right...wee Lewis was outstanding in that 2nd half

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jingler1954
04-11-2017, 06:27 PM

Are you for real we have Crane who is a perfect replacement for Lewis when he retires in 2 or 3 years time.
PS MOM Contender today

--------
04-11-2017, 06:29 PM
I'm sure someone posted just the other day that this was an old chestnut that had finally been put to rest ....

Hibs are third in the Premiership, we've just won four games on the trot with Lewis at LB, and now we have someone starting the old "Let's stick it to Lewis" routine.

What Smartie said back up the thread. We have had players more technically-gifted than Lewis who have given us far far less than he does.

So he had a wobbly 45 today. So? He followed it up with a decisively good 45 and the team fought back to win the game.

Lewis is a GREAT HIBEE. :not worth

Back off and leave him alone!:yw:

Borderhibbie76
04-11-2017, 06:29 PM

I thought that during the first half he was as bad as I've ever seen him. He was getting absolutely roasted down his side, was skinned for their goal and looked all at sea.

Does he offer the versatility to cope with a change in formation and allow us to change our team around when we were flagging due to fatigue and injury? Yes.

Does he get absolutely torn into the second half and turn his performance around? Yes.

Does he make a significant contribution in both defence and attack in order to contribute to our victory? Yes.

Does he still make the odd mistake? Yes, because he isn't hiding, he's getting on the ball and trying to make things happen.

Crave a new left-back all you want, the football world is full of inferior players who would not give us what Stevenson gave us today, and will continue to give us for a few years yet.Fabulous post well said that man [emoji106]

--------
04-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Fabulous post well said that man [emoji106]

Hear, hear! :aok:

HappyAsHellas
04-11-2017, 06:30 PM
Stevenson isnt good enough for the prem and is getting found out. Cost us a goal and led to Hanlon beong booked

I think you're confusing him with Barker who got skinned for the cross leading to their goal.

hibby6270
04-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Is Crane not out on loan?

Yes. He’s at Alloa.

McD
04-11-2017, 06:34 PM

Regardless of the answers to these pointless questions, you asked a question, and stated we didn’t have a back up left back. You’ve now been demonstrated 3 separate options, proving you wrong.

pish thread, pish chat. **** stirring at its best, 4 wins in the spin and this is what you want to talk about...hmmm

hibby6270
04-11-2017, 06:35 PM

Crave a new left-back all you want, the football world is full of inferior players who would not give us what Stevenson gave us today, and will continue to give us for a few years yet.

:top marks :agree::agree::thumbsup:

lord bunberry
04-11-2017, 06:36 PM
The problem for our first goal was the marking in the middle. The guy had time to comb his hair for the cameras before he scored.

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:53 PM
The problem for our first goal was the marking in the middle. The guy had time to comb his hair for the cameras before he scored.So the goal we conceeded was our centre halfs fault? Watch the goal on sportscene tomorrow and see if you think the same

lord bunberry
04-11-2017, 06:56 PM
So the goal we conceeded was our centre halfs fault? Watch the goal on sportscene tomorrow and see if you think the same

I saw it at the time. A winger beating a defender happens, but the marking in the middle was poor. To single out Stevenson is poor imo.

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 06:57 PM
I saw it at the time. A winger beating a defender happens, but the marking in the middle was poor. To single out Stevenson is poor imo.Thats ok...we just have different opinions

XXIVMMXVI
I think you're confusing him with Barker who got skinned for the cross leading to their goal.

It was definitely Lewis that got turned by Deacon.

Smartie
The goal was a culmination of several faults, as goals often are.

Stevenson was torn apart out wide, but had we won a winnable header from the cross into the box, the centre-halves could have saved Stevenson's bacon.

They didn't.

I do think we look a bit fragile to balls like that into the box. Good thing really that Stevenson so rarely lets his man get crosses in.

Winston Ingram
...sign as our new left back in january?

Sent from my plk-l01 using tapatalk

gtf

emerald green
04-11-2017, 06:58 PM

Sniff sniff. By the way, it's flying waiter, unless you deliberately chose to misspell it of course.

madhibee_again
04-11-2017, 07:00 PM
So the goal we conceeded was our centre halfs fault? Watch the goal on sportscene tomorrow and see if you think the same

Was Stevenson meant to be marking the man in the middle? Yes he should’ve done better stopping the cross, but it was a free header in our 18 yard box, you can’t let that happen. A combination of both were at fault.

Deansy
04-11-2017, 07:00 PM
This thread shows the utter stupidity of Hibernian FC - they gave a testimonial-game to a player who was never good enough for Hibs !. Obviously this utter-stupidity is shared between several managers who never picked-up on this fact either and still insisted on playing him every week - the large majority of his Hibs-career playing in the SPL which is obviously a level too high for him ! Just how Stevenson's managed this is beyond me .................................................. ...

The day Lewis Stevenson stops playing for Hibs will be a sad, sad day - sad because his spirit and attitude will be missing from the team and sad because pish-threads like this existed !

Winston Ingram
04-11-2017, 07:01 PM

I’m genuinely trying to work out if your drunk or just thick

SuperAllyMcleod
04-11-2017, 07:03 PM

All of this!

Plus, Barker was next to no help in front of him today for whatever reason and was rightly hooked at half time.

There are very few players that get the better of Lewis and sometimes you just have to accept that the opposition have one, which is what Lennon did and changed it round at half time.

If we were going to replace players on the back of one poor game then we are going to have a lot of players coming through the doors.

MWHIBBIES
04-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Hopefully Lewis on a new 3 year deal. Error first half sure, fantastic for weeks and brilliant 2nd half.

Hibernian legend

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 07:06 PM
I’m genuinely trying to work out if your drunk or just thickNot drunk and not thick. Its an opinion...dont understand why you are posting comments like that. I have a different opinion to you so im thick?

Hibrandenburg
04-11-2017, 07:09 PM
I’m genuinely trying to work out if your drunk or just thick

There is a 3rd alternative.

HoboHarry
04-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Daft thread. Ignore the troll.

G B Young
04-11-2017, 07:11 PM
Odd thread after a fourth straight win.

You'll not find a better pro in Scotland than Lewis Stevenson. The fact nobody has been able to consistently displace him after more than 10 years underlines the respect in which he has been held by successive managers. He'd be the first to acknowledge he's not the greatest player in a talented team, but for me he's a absolute gem and fully merits legendary status, being the only Hibs player ever to have won both domestic cups.

soupy
04-11-2017, 07:13 PM
Only a Yam would call themself The Flying waiter after his wee hero from 2012, surely????

ACLeith
04-11-2017, 07:14 PM

When was hanlon booked?

zz75
04-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Nowhere near the level of Murphy or Laursen. Little support from Barker today. Poor distribution as usual.

SingaporeHibs
04-11-2017, 07:17 PM
First half wasn't good today but did then do better. If being fair to the OP he has raised a point to some extent, it's a position that we could have more competition for. Stevo is dependable that works his socks off and a hero in many ways but could we do with better competition for that position? You bet we could. Is it a priority within a Budget? No. Make of that what you like but forward planning needed at a minimum. Who has 2? 🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬 Life is good right now, let's enjoy it.

Kojock
04-11-2017, 07:18 PM

Fake news !!

Bostonhibby
04-11-2017, 07:18 PM
Maybe we should get John Colquhoun to deliver us a van load of assorted left backs next window, worked well for our dodgy neighbours last time around.

Lewis has stayed in our teams through thick and thin for a reason.

Winston Ingram
04-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Not drunk and not thick. Its an opinion...dont understand why you are posting comments like that. I have a different opinion to you so im thick?

The initial post was deliberately antagonistic and childish.

He was one of our better players today. Didn’t do great for the goal but it required Deacon to put one hell of a ball on on his wrong foot for the goal to happen.

You then use this one incident to start a thread saying that we need a new left back wording it in a way that it’s fact.

You then defend it with the standard stock idiot phrase ‘i’m allowed an opinion’ without any real reason for it.

If people can’t justify their opinions they come across as an idiot with an agenda hence the reason I thought you were drunk or thick. I reckon a drunk would’ve got bored by now so you’ve at least answered my question ��

G B Young
04-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Nowhere near the level of Murphy or Laursen. Little support from Barker today. Poor distribution as usual.

How often do left-backs of that quality come along? Might as well try to compare him to Erich Schaedler. Odd first post.

Tornadoes70
04-11-2017, 07:27 PM

Absolutely 100%. :aok:

Hopefully Legend Lewis will be with us for the next few years at least. He wears his Hibs heart on his sleeve every time he steps out onto the pitch for us.

GGTTH

lord bunberry
04-11-2017, 07:28 PM
There is a 3rd alternative.
Is it fascism :greengrin

BoomtownHibees
04-11-2017, 07:30 PM
Are you for real we have Crane who is a perfect replacement for Lewis when he retires in 2 or 3 years time.
PS MOM Contender today

He’s only 29 FFS

Thecat23
04-11-2017, 07:33 PM
Only a Yam would call themself The Flying waiter after his wee hero from 2012, surely????

My thoughts exactly. One for the admins to look into by the sounds of it. Prob listened to the game on open all mics.

Flyingwaitor
04-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Only a Yam would call themself The Flying waiter after his wee hero from 2012, surely????No they wouldnt. And surely not

soupy
04-11-2017, 07:38 PM
My thoughts exactly. One for the admins to look into by the sounds of it. Prob listened to the game on open all mics.

I’d go as far as saying he got his mum to read the match day thread. Then start a trolling one for him/her/it....😏

Thecat23
04-11-2017, 07:40 PM
I’d go as far as saying he got his mum to read the match day thread. Then start a trolling one for him/her/it....😏

😁

zz75
04-11-2017, 08:04 PM
How often do left-backs of that quality come along? Might as well try to compare him to Erich Schaedler. Odd first post.

Laursen left in 2002, Murphy joined 2004 if I remember right. Not so infrequently if recruitment is done well.

Offside Trap
04-11-2017, 08:21 PM
Absolutely fantastic post.

You've just written Lewis' epitaph.

:flag:

Just Alf
04-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Some of the (All?) negative comments seem to simply be a cut and paste from the "back and forth" on the matchday thread.. Not sure why any of us would want to drag JUST the negative side up?

GGTTH!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ACLeith
04-11-2017, 08:36 PM
When was hanlon booked?

Any chance of an answer?

greenlex
04-11-2017, 08:38 PM
Any chance of an answer?
Professional foul on the boy breaking in the second half.

ACLeith
04-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Professional foul on the boy breaking in the second half.

John McGinn, no?

Mr Grieves
04-11-2017, 08:44 PM

:agree:

LaMotta
04-11-2017, 08:46 PM
Honestly, see when Stevenson retires, those who don't appreciate him will maybe finally realise what he brought to the team.

Look at the state of Hearts left backs over the last 3 years - brutal. Stevenson has played in all 8 of the unbeaten derby run, and been nothing less than solid in every one. They would bite yer hand off for a Lewis Stevenson quality left back.

greenlex
04-11-2017, 08:48 PM
John McGinn, no?
He did one too. As did Stevenson although I reckon the boy played for that one.

Edit - just checked the bbc. Atch report but it has no booking against Hanlon. I could have sworn he was booked. Auld age an that.

LaMotta
04-11-2017, 08:50 PM
When was hanlon booked?

Exactly - he wasn't!

Hard to respect someones critical comments when they just make pish up.

LaMotta
04-11-2017, 08:51 PM
When was hanlon booked?

Hanlon wasn't booked. Lewis was unlucky for his one cos the boy just ran across him and their feet collided. McGinn's was justified :greengrin

McD
04-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Laursen left in 2002, Murphy joined 2004 if I remember right. Not so infrequently if recruitment is done well.

Theres not a single player at Hibs that we haven’t had a better player in their position in the past - why single out Stevenson?

4 wins on the spin, a season with so much positivity, and yet some people still go looking for crap to whine and bitch about.

Waiting for for someone to start a thread moaning about Lennon not having his shoelaces perfectly symmetrical, or how it takes them 97 paces to get the bog and how that’s unacceptable...probably be Stevenson’s fault then as well :bitchy:

pacoluna
04-11-2017, 08:53 PM
Wouldn't mind another David Murphy bombing up the wings

ACLeith
04-11-2017, 09:05 PM

Edit - just checked the bbc. Atch report but it has no booking against Hanlon. I could have sworn he was booked. Auld age an that.

No worries. I checked the match report before I posted 😀

Hibrandenburg
04-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Is it fascism :greengrin

Close, Yamism, it's like fascism but without the cool clothes. :greengrin

Eyrie
04-11-2017, 09:25 PM

I think you're right and have just the player in mind.

He's been a first team regular at his current club for over ten years and several managers. He's popular with his own supporters as a Mr Reliable who will do anything for the team. He's a very capable left back who has the stamina and willingness to get forward on a regular basis to provide width for his team. He's also won both cup competitions to underline his ability to perform in big matches.

That's what I'm looking for in our new left back.

Tornadoes70
04-11-2017, 09:27 PM

A Y cardigan with burgendy sta press would still rate highly as fashion etiquette for all true Yamists

:greengrin

GGTTH

Hibbyradge
04-11-2017, 09:32 PM
What's a waitor?

LaMotta
04-11-2017, 09:34 PM
What's a waitor?

someone who enjoys standing in queues?

hibee_girl
04-11-2017, 09:40 PM
I’ll admit Stevenson was dismal in the first half but he must have had a word with himself at half time as he was a totally different player in the 2nd half.

He’s one of the last players we should be looking to replace

H18 SFR
04-11-2017, 09:42 PM

Offt, where have you been the last three games before today?

Hibbyradge
04-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Offt, where have you been the last three games before today?

Murrayfield 😉

matty_f
04-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Four wins on the spin with one goal conceded, and this is thread you start. :faf:

Thecat23
04-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Four wins on the spin with one goal conceded, and this is thread you start. :faf:

Jambos weren’t playing today clearly to much time on their hands! Hanlon was apparently booked as well. Hard when you listen to the game on open all mics and get it wrong 😁

The Modfather
04-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Don’t think we learned much more than we already knew. He was given a torrid time by Deacon first half, but was better second half.

A solid and dependable LB, but a willing, however limited, wing back. If we were to play 3-5-2 going forward I’d rather play Hanlon LWB, with Porteous replaying Hanlon at CB.

Need a new left wingback in January if playing with wingbacks, but not if playing with a defensive four.

weecounty hibby
04-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Lewis did have a nightmare first half and was at fault for their goal. He wasn't the only one today who didn't have a good first half. Did he let his head go down? Noway. He did what he always does, he got on with it, worked his arse off, kept playing away, win tackles, got himself in great positions to support Stokes, McGinn and Hanlon and helped Hibs to another three points. I am struggling to think of any left back who would be better than him that is in our price range. He will go down as one of the greatest Hibs players ever. That's for appearances and also the fact be as been a part of 2 cup winning sides. Some of the pish spouted by some about our players at times is amazing

Diclonius
04-11-2017, 10:07 PM
League Cup winner 2007
Scottish Cup winner 2016
Only Hibs player to play every game of 8 in a row (and counting)

Boring.

Jonnyboy
04-11-2017, 10:33 PM
Was that Spanish geezer Suso not nicknamed the flying waiter? Just askin' likes

lord bunberry
04-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Hipsters? :greengrin

1875godsgift
04-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Hipsters? :greengrin

Chipsters? :dunno:

Shrekko
04-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Lewis showed why he is a GREAT Hibs player today with the heart of lion.

A rare bad half against a very tricky opponent which might have had other players going into their shell, but he did the polar opposite. Did everything right and made every effort to make a positive impact-some outstanding moments from him.

‘Persevered’ is our unofficial motto remember...

LaMotta
04-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Lewis showed why he is a GREAT Hibs player today with the heart of lion.

A rare bad half against a very tricky opponent which might have had other players going into their shell, but he did the polar opposite. Did everything right and made every effort to make a positive impact-some outstanding moments from him.

‘Persevered’ is our unofficial motto remember...

Exactly mate - that Joey Deacon boy gave Whittaker a torrid time as well at Dens earlier in the season.

Calidad
04-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Think a few are being overly defensive. You can support the club and still be critical of the players.

I don’t think anyone doubts Stevenson’s attitude nor his good service. Personally, I think he used to be the weak link, but he’s proved to be a realiable enough and solid enough player. That said, he’s not without his shortcomings. I actually find his crossing to be quite frustrating. He often gets into a good position, only to let himself down by putting in a disappointing final ball or pass.

But I definitely don’t see him as a weak link, or liability as I used to few a years ago. Rather dependable actually.

Competition is always good though, and I don’t think it’d hurt to give someone like Crane an opportunity to play a few games next season to see how he gets on.

poolman
04-11-2017, 11:14 PM
No they wouldnt. And surely not

100% fail

Foritza
04-11-2017, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=Flyingwaitor;5211541]Not poor. Im delighted we won. I just think he is the weak link. Nobody else is pushing for his place. We need competition

Sent from my PLK

Well who would you propose? . Agree he got bullied and out paced.But must give Lennon praise he saw this changed the back 4 to a three at half time, pushed lewis into left wing back and what a difference. Lewis was more effective in the wingback role . If we are to play 4-4-2 then we may have to look at who plays LB. One thing Lewis gives is 110%. and made some great tackles as always. Perhaps the SPFL is a learning curve of to which we are adapting to quite well.

The Baldmans Comb
04-11-2017, 11:40 PM
If you argue that Lewis had a terrible first half costing the goal and being totally off the pace which he indeed was then you also have to acknowledge how well he played 2nd half.

Constantly pushing forward, neat interplay with Stokes and midfield and solid defending.

Earlier in the season NL experimented with Whittaker as LB and that was a disaster but overall Lewis has had a dependable season.

He is hardly one of the best defenders in the league but he is decent enough for now.

Ryan91
04-11-2017, 11:51 PM

I can't do emotes on mobile, but if I could, it would be the bowing/not worth emote. Spot on.

JohnM1875
04-11-2017, 11:56 PM
Lewis is probably my favourite Hibs player. But, he shouldn’t escape criticism when it’s required. And first half it was deserved. I personally think it was partly due to covering for an injured Barker, but the goal was probably his fault.

Second half he was phenomenal! I’d love to hear folks suggestions as to who we could replace him with?

NAE NOOKIE
05-11-2017, 01:12 AM
Lewis has played well this season, especially now he has had the wingback duties lifted somewhat by having Barker playing in front of him. I doubt even Lewis would deny he had a poor first half today and he had a really tough time handling Dundee's right winger, so much so that they started to target his side for most of the half and a lot of the second too.

But he stuck at it as he always does and came onto a much better game in the second half, yes he did put us under pressure with a loose pass in the second half, but he did a load of good stuff as well.

I cant recall seeing him get too much credit for the two times he was left one on one against Hearts after they punted the ball up the park and both times he won the ball back .... outstanding play both times, shame nobody started a thread about that.

Hibs were pretty flat for a lot of the game today, with even John McGinn looking out of sorts for large chunks of it ..... totally unfair to single out one player in these circumstances.

My_Wife_Camille
05-11-2017, 01:29 AM
Lewis had an uncarachteristucally poor first half but he was outstanding second half. any team in the league apart from Celtic would be lucky to have him

Winston Ingram
05-11-2017, 01:49 AM
Think a few are being overly defensive. You can support the club and still be critical of the players.

I don’t think anyone doubts Stevenson’s attitude nor his good service. Personally, I think he used to be the weak link, but he’s proved to be a realiable enough and solid enough player. That said, he’s not without his shortcomings. I actually find his crossing to be quite frustrating. He often gets into a good position, only to let himself down by putting in a disappointing final ball or pass.

But I definitely don’t see him as a weak link, or liability as I used to few a years ago. Rather dependable actually.

Competition is always good though, and I don’t think it’d hurt to give someone like Crane an opportunity to play a few games next season to see how he gets on.

There’s a challenge...name a player in the current team without any...

zz75
05-11-2017, 08:17 AM
Theres not a single player at Hibs that we haven’t had a better player in their position in the past - why single out Stevenson?

4 wins on the spin, a season with so much positivity, and yet some people still go looking for crap to whine and bitch about.

Waiting for for someone to start a thread moaning about Lennon not having his shoelaces perfectly symmetrical, or how it takes them 97 paces to get the bog and how that’s unacceptable...probably be Stevenson’s fault then as well :bitchy:

Because the team has improved over the last few seasons and the first choice left back hasn't. That's all.

Also, please point to where I "whined" or "bitched", thanks.

ACLeith
05-11-2017, 08:35 AM
Because the team has improved over the last few seasons and the first choice left back hasn't. That's all.

So if in your opinion he hasn't improved, do you think he has remained at the same level or regressed?

zz75
05-11-2017, 09:29 AM
So if in your opinion he hasn't improved, do you think he has remained at the same level or regressed?

The former.

ACLeith
05-11-2017, 09:36 AM
The former.

But he is now playing against a much higher standard of player, so does that not automatically mean he has raised his game if he is, as you think,at the same level?

The Leith Dutch
05-11-2017, 09:44 AM
The issue I have with this thread is that the OP is clearly at the wind up.

It's a detail free title and then a first post that he can later pretend was about saying we need cover in a position but was actually carefully targeted at a player he knows folk will rush to defend and others want to criticise. Clear trolling.

The actual player in question is irrelevant here - and we should be able to debate the merits of any player.
But it's wind up pish from eejits like this that makes it very difficult.

zz75
05-11-2017, 09:55 AM
But he is now playing against a much higher standard of player, so does that not automatically mean he has raised his game if he is, as you think,at the same level?

No, that's not the case. I don't believe that he's improved from, say, the last time we were in the premiership. He still is decent and pretty consistent defensively (although he's lost out to the Dundee player this week, Aberdeen the other week), still has good pace without the ball, still is rarely injured, and I would expect a good influence around the place. However, his limitations around distribution slow us down in the final third (hardly ever goes past a man there with the ball) and crossing is poor.

Contrast this with, say, Hanlon who has added that "steel" to his good pace and footballing ability, or Boyle who you can see his decision making improving almost by the month. Or swapping a Michael Nelson with McGregor or Ambrose.

Do you think that Aberdeen have better first choice full backs than we do? I do.

McD
05-11-2017, 10:12 AM

Please point out where I accused you of either, thanks.

as it happens, Comparing a player negatively to predecessors who have been away from the club for a good number of years and neither of whom are possible alternatives right now is both pointless and unproductive. Should we criticise Simon Murray for not being as good as Steve Archibald?

Are you you seriously telling us that Laursen or Murphy never got beaten, or had poor games? As has been said earlier, there’s never a thread giving Stevenson praise when he has a good game, or in this case recognising that he had a far better second half.

There is no one, not one single player, at Hibs who can say they don’t have bad days or matches. That’s the level we’re at.

wookie70
05-11-2017, 10:15 AM
Poor in first half, very good in second. Ambrose was as much at fault for their goal as Lewis.

J-C
05-11-2017, 10:20 AM

You know diddly squat about football, Deacon is a very decent player, yes he got past Lewis but Efe was fast asleep and the big striker had a free header. I wish every player only made one mistake per game.

hibee_girl
05-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Poor in first half, very good in second. Ambrose was as much at fault for their goal as Lewis.

Absolutely!

Yes Lewis got beaten but the boy who scored shouldn’t have been given that much room

blackpoolhibs
05-11-2017, 10:26 AM
In a back 4 Stevenson is as good as most, as a wingback we'd want better. He made a bit of a mistake yesterday, it happens get over it.

If he was doing it every week, then we'd need to look at it.

zz75
05-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Please point out where I accused you of either, thanks.

as it happens, Comparing a player negatively to predecessors who have been away from the club for a good number of years and neither of whom are possible alternatives right now is both pointless and unproductive. Should we criticise Simon Murray for not being as good as Steve Archibald?

Are you you seriously telling us that Laursen or Murphy never got beaten, or had poor games? As has been said earlier, there’s never a thread giving Stevenson praise when he has a good game, or in this case recognising that he had a far better second half.

There is no one, not one single player, at Hibs who can say they don’t have bad days or matches. That’s the level we’re at.

Sure, your post at 8.53 last night, quoting mine. What am I supposed to think?

And no, I never said anything about Laursen or Murphy never being beaten; I said they were at a higher level.

Furthermore, why not compare to predecessors? Firstly, it's what football fans do, second if they were good it will give us all something to aspire to. Calling it "pointless" and "unproductive" is, putting it mildly, a stretch.

Stantons Angel
05-11-2017, 11:44 AM
Not poor. Im delighted we won. I just think he is the weak link. Nobody else is pushing for his place. We need competition

Sent from my PLK-L01 using TapatalkT

In my opinion this is a totally useless thread which is totally unwarranted at this time. The guy has played under every manager we have had over the past wee while.

He made a mistake for that equaliser but have you asked just how the ball and the opposition players got to that position in the first place. He went with the man and kept pace with him all the way but could not take out the ball.

The whole idea of this post looks like a nice wee fishing exercise which has got you all wrapped in your own line.

You seem to forget the last ditch tackle Lewis came up with on Tuesday to save us losing a goal? But of course that would go unreported as it is only a usual part of his game!

Did you come on here and slate Whitaker for his part in losing a goal at Ibrox?........... or anyone else who failed in their attempts to shield the goal area.

No, enough is enough, for the past few years this lad has had to put up with more than his share of being the scapegoat and has shown with hard work and endeavour he is playing at his best in his best position. We won for goodness sake and not in a little down to his second half display which more than made up for his mistake.

For God's sake let him get on with doing his job without all this negativity creeping in again!!!

IWasThere2016
05-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Lewis struggling early on. Many did. We were tired looking. Second half he was a different player. Too consistent to replace IMHO.

MyJo
05-11-2017, 12:30 PM
in the space of three weeks Lewis has played every minute of 6 matches including a semi final at hampden against the best team in the country, league game against the second best team in the country, a derby, a tricky away match on an artifical pitch, an away match against in-form motherwell who have reached the league cup final and game against the bottom club in the league who are quite literally, fighting for survival - exactly the type of game the hibs of old would have slipped up in.

He had a poor 45 minutes against a strong, pacy opponent who outmuscled him and took advantange of how tired Lewis must be after the number and intensity of the games he has played in the last 3 weeks but he stuck to his task and when the system was changed for the second half Lewis looked like a man possessed pushing up the wing along with hanlon trying to win us the game. He also made some excellent tackles in midfield areas to break up Dundee's attacks when they started to threaten again.

No need for a replacement and no need for this thread.

The_Horde
05-11-2017, 12:55 PM
Felt Lewis was a bit poorer than usual in the first half but was also hung out to dry and left exposed by the midfield and in particular, Barker, who I don't think got out of walking pace the whole half.

ACLeith
05-11-2017, 01:51 PM
No, that's not the case. I don't believe that he's improved from, say, the last time we were in the premiership. He still is decent and pretty consistent defensively (although he's lost out to the Dundee player this week, Aberdeen the other week), still has good pace without the ball, still is rarely injured, and I would expect a good influence around the place. However, his limitations around distribution slow us down in the final third (hardly ever goes past a man there with the ball) and crossing is poor.

Contrast this with, say, Hanlon who has added that "steel" to his good pace and footballing ability, or Boyle who you can see his decision making improving almost by the month. Or swapping a Michael Nelson with McGregor or Ambrose.

Do you think that Aberdeen have better first choice full backs than we do? I do.

Assume you mean Logan and Shinnie? Most folk would say they are 2 of the top players in the league. Not sure what the point is though, nobody has claimed Lewis is at the level of Tierney.

We have opposite opinions so no point in continuing, leave it there.

What I do find strange is that if this is indeed the first topic you have contributed to after joining the board you chose this rather than Rocky's world class save or Stokes' exquisite pass for the winner.

Baldy Foghorn
05-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Did you see the performance of LS on Tuesday at Kilmarnock? I'm guessing No......

zz75
05-11-2017, 02:10 PM
I didn't say that anyone claimed that Stevenson was at the level of Tierney either.

My point is that Stevenson has his limitations, which I've articulated. He's also not progressed in recent years. In my view, if we want to challenge Aberdeen then we will need better. You can easily see how the squad has improved over the recent years.

You say that we have opposite opinions, would you care to state yours and we can compare and contrast? All I've seen in this thread is users incorrectly extrapolating from what I've written.

As for my choice of thread, that's down to me.

Aldo
05-11-2017, 02:17 PM
...sign as our new left back in January? Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

Yeah Lewis was poor and was done for the goal and he'll be as disappointed as anyone. However why single out him?? Why did the CH's not get a head on it? I didn't see you giving Whittaker a hard time when he was done over at the corresponding fixture against Dundee at dens!

You obviously don't see what he brings to the team. As I mentioned he doesn't get done very often but he was yesterday. Is he not allowed to make the odd mistake. SJM does but you don't get at him do you??

I would suspect NL will utilise his funding elsewhere as barring Tierney and maybe Shinnie there is not a better LB in Scotland than Lewis!

Aldo
05-11-2017, 02:27 PM
I didn't say that anyone claimed that Stevenson was at the level of Tierney either. My point is that Stevenson has his limitations, which I've articulated. He's also not progressed in recent years. In my view, if we want to challenge Aberdeen then we will need better. You can easily see how the squad has improved over the recent years. You say that we have opposite opinions, would you care to state yours and we can compare and contrast? All I've seen in this thread is users incorrectly extrapolating from what I've written. As for my choice of thread, that's down to me.

All players have their limitations and that is stating obvious.

Name me a LB within our budget that brings the same level at the very least of Lewis.

I can name only 2 in our league and that is Shinnie and Tierney!

NL dropped him and then brought him back in. I for one think he's better for the team than without.

I honestly don't know WTF goes through folks mind. 4 wins on the spin, up to 3rd and conceded 1 goal in all these games.

I suspect folk are trolling or fishing for the sake of it.

Others have played worse in games yet don't get the same criticism.

But it's all about opinions! O and I trust the opinion of NL and the management team

zz75
05-11-2017, 02:50 PM
All players have their limitations and that is stating obvious.

Name me a LB within our budget that brings the same level at the very least of Lewis.

I can name only 2 in our league and that is Shinnie and Tierney!

NL dropped him and then brought him back in. I for one think he's better for the team than without.

I honestly don't know WTF goes through folks mind. 4 wins on the spin, up to 3rd and conceded 1 goal in all these games.

I suspect folk are trolling or fishing for the sake of it.

Others have played worse in games yet don't get the same criticism.

But it's all about opinions! O and I trust the opinion of NL and the management team

Yes, of course players at our level have their limitations. I'm looking for someone that has fewer limitations (e.g. going forward) and have given examples.

However, as a fan I've little insight as to Neil Lennon's budget. Nor have I an extensive scouting network, so I'm not clear on the purpose of your question.

Aldo
05-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Yes, of course players at our level have their limitations. I'm looking for someone that has fewer limitations (e.g. going forward) and have given examples.

However, as a fan I've little insight as to Neil Lennon's budget. Nor have I an extensive scouting network, so I'm not clear on the purpose of your question.

Lewis is a defender, a LB and first and foremost that’s what he must concentrate on. His performances has been very good and as others have alluded a poor 45 minuted doesn’t make him a poor player.

As a fan of football surely you have an idea of players with less limitations NO? That would be able to bring more to the team than Lewis... within our budget. Surely you have an idea. Put it this way we won’t have any players on say 5 to 7 k a week.

As a Hibs fan you should have an idea the size of club etc so you will have an idea so to say that your unclear on my question is just daft. I will word it differently if you like...

Name me left backs that have less limitations we could expect to sign to replace Lewis.

If you don’t get the purpose I will again re word

Who could we sign that is better than Lewis within our budget? Simple.

WeeRussell
05-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Our man Lewy’s got twooooooooo

Baldy Foghorn
05-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Our man Lewy’s got twooooooooo

This, a living legend

zz75
05-11-2017, 03:03 PM
Lewis is a defender, a LB and first and foremost that’s what he must concentrate on. His performances has been very good and as others have alluded a poor 45 minuted doesn’t make him a poor player.

As a fan of football surely you have an idea of players with less limitations NO? That would be able to bring more to the team than Lewis... within our budget. Surely you have an idea. Put it this way we won’t have any players on say 5 to 7 k a week.

As a Hibs fan you should have an idea the size of club etc so you will have an idea so to say that your unclear on my question is just daft. I will word it differently if you like...

Name me left backs that have less limitations we could expect to sign to replace Lewis.

If you don’t get the purpose I will again re word

Who could we sign that is better than Lewis within our budget? Simple.

I repeat, I don't have a scouting network. It's not my role as a fan. I'd never heard of, say, Laursen or Murphy prior to them being at Hibs (or indeed Long at Aberdeen). Remember that Murphy was signed from the reserve leagues.

Aldo
05-11-2017, 03:10 PM
I repeat, I don't have a scouting network. It's not my role as a fan. I'd never heard of, say, Laursen or Murphy prior to them being at Hibs (or indeed Long at Aberdeen). Remember that Murphy was signed from the reserve leagues.

You don’t need to repeat yourself I can read and fully understand what you have said however you don’t seem to be able to read and digest my previous posts. These are past players, I have asked who you think we sign not about your ability as a football scout or to having a scouting network.

If you watch, read or listen to football you will surely have an idea of who you think would do a good job for the club given their limitations.

I do however have my doubts about your real or even true intentions on this thread and if your not happy with the team sitting 3rd having just played 4 games, winning them all, keeping 3 clean sheets and conceding 1 goal then there is something far wrong. NL seems very happy with this.

I would go as far to say as you are in a Wee fishing expedition because you keep repeating yourself.

lyonhibs
05-11-2017, 03:12 PM
So we've all agreed that the OP is a Hearts fan on the wind-up??

Good, that's settled then :agree:

greenlex
05-11-2017, 03:14 PM
So let’s leave it to the scouting network. If there is no in-house replacement when the time comes I’m sure we will recruit one. I think the team this season needed attention elsewhere and that is where our priorities still lie. We need a proper big target man that can hold it up before we need our left back replacing for instance. A box to box midfielder to cover McGinns undoubted departure is another.

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 03:17 PM

I think so yeah.

zz75
05-11-2017, 03:19 PM
You don’t need to repeat yourself I can read and fully understand what you have said however you don’t seem to be able to read and digest my previous posts. These are past players, I have asked who you think we sign not about your ability as a football scout or to having a scouting network.

If you watch, read or listen to football you will surely have an idea of who you think would do a good job for the club given their limitations.

I do however have my doubts about your real or even true intentions on this thread and if your not happy with the team sitting 3rd having just played 4 games, winning them all, keeping 3 clean sheets and conceding 1 goal then there is something far wrong. NL seems very happy with this.

I would go as far to say as you are in a Wee fishing expedition because you keep repeating yourself.

Brilliant assumption that I have issues with reading comprehension, well done.

Aldo
05-11-2017, 03:25 PM
Brilliant assumption that I have issues with reading comprehension, well done.

[emoji112].

Flyingwaitor

Good, that's settled then :agree:Nope...im a season ticket holder at easter road. I just dont think stevenson is that good. Never have. Not just because of a poor 45mins. He is our weakest defender and doesn't offer much going forward. I like and admire his heart effort and determination. Only takes you so far though. Its only my opinion. I know he is loved by most and thats fine. I dont dislike him at all

staunchhibby
If stevenson is that bad why does he get continualy picked and oh has two winners medals.mmmm i wonder

Captain Trips
05-11-2017, 03:26 PM
LS done us and himself proud stuck here through some terrible times and managers.

IlDiavola
05-11-2017, 03:28 PM

157 posts to establish this. :greengrin

It certainly looks like he is.

Flyingwaitor
If stevenson is that bad why does he get continualy picked and oh has two winners medals.mmmm i wonderBecause we dont have another better left back and because he played in 2 teams that gave great performances.

MWHIBBIES
Nope...im a season ticket holder at easter road. I just dont think stevenson is that good. Never have. Not just because of a poor 45mins. He is our weakest defender and doesn't offer much going forward. I like and admire his heart effort and determination. Only takes you so far though. Its only my opinion. I know he is loved by most and thats fine. I dont dislike him at all

Sent from my PLK-L01 using TapatalkDefensively he is our best full back, its not even close.

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 03:29 PM
LS done us and himself proud stuck here through some terrible times and managers.Where else was he going to go? Who bid for him?

Bostonhibby
I repeat, I don't have a scouting network. It's not my role as a fan. I'd never heard of, say, Laursen or Murphy prior to them being at Hibs (or indeed Long at Aberdeen). Remember that Murphy was signed from the reserve leagues.Nae need for repeats, see where you're coming from.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Flyingwaitor
Defensively he is our best full back, its not even close.We shall agree to disagree

lyonhibs
05-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Nope...im a season ticket holder at easter road. I just dont think stevenson is that good. Never have. Not just because of a poor 45mins. He is our weakest defender and doesn't offer much going forward. I like and admire his heart effort and determination. Only takes you so far though. Its only my opinion. I know he is loved by most and thats fine. I dont dislike him at all

That's all fine and I've been critical of him in the past but the tone of your OP was very "Jambo" esque.

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 03:32 PM
Because we dont have another better left back and because he played in 2 teams that gave great performances.

So what are you saying? He played because we didn’t have a better left back? So all those managers just played him without going out and buying a new LB. I’d say they see how lucky they are with Lewis and we won’t get better on our budget and there is no one and I mean no one who’d burst a gut in almost every game he plays because how much hibs mean to him.

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Where else was he going to go? Who bid for him?

Motherwell wanted him, next....

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 03:34 PM
That's all fine and I've been critical of him in the past but the tone of your OP was very "Jambo" esque.Why was it?

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Motherwell wanted him, next....Motherwell...says it all

pacoluna
05-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Jesus a 6 pager and counting because someone feels to further improve.. Stevenson needs challenged for his position.

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 03:37 PM
Motherwell...says it all

The same Motherwell team who are in the League cup final? The same well team that’s been doing well this season?

You sir are a jambo.

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Jesus a 6 pager and counting because someone feels to further improve.. Stevenson needs challenged for his position.This [emoji122]

zz75
05-11-2017, 03:38 PM
Nae need for repeats, see where you're coming from.

Thanks. Unfortunately, it appears that "Aldo" doesn't. Oh well, one of those things.

IlDiavola
05-11-2017, 03:39 PM
Motherwell...says it all

Are you using a shovel or a pitch fork?

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 03:39 PM
The same Motherwell team who are in the League cup final? The same well team that’s been doing well this season?

You sir are a jambo.I sir am not. Yes...this season. What other season? Are you saying they're better than us? No danger

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Are you using a shovel or a pitch fork?Are motherwell better than us?

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 03:41 PM
I sir am not. Yes...this season. What other season? Are you saying they're better than us? No danger

Yes they were better than us past few years as they weren’t playing championship football. Very disrespectful to ask who wanted him then when given an answer you reply with that.

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Yes they were better than us past few years as they weren’t playing championship football. Very disrespectful to ask who wanted him then when given an answer you reply with that.I asked and you gave an answer. If you had said smeltic or the huns or the sheep...then you have a good point. But motherwell? They're better than us? Seriously have a word

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 03:44 PM
I asked and you gave an answer. If you had said smeltic or the huns or the sheep...then you have a good point. But motherwell? They're better than us? Seriously have a word

Sent from my PLK-L01 using TapatalkIf motherwell are the best he was courted by then it says it all

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 03:44 PM
I asked and you gave an answer. If you had said smeltic or the huns or the sheep...then you have a good point. But motherwell? They're better than us? Seriously have a word

They were better they didn’t go down. We are now a better team. You really are thick as ****.

Jonnyboy
05-11-2017, 03:46 PM
They were better they didn’t go down. We are now a better team. You really are thick as ****.

Pointless arguing,Cat. Guys made his mind up that he’s right and everyone else is wrong.

Bostonhibby
05-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately, it appears that "Aldo" doesn't. Oh well, one of those things.Irony?

Anyhow as a long time Lewis fan I think I need to get this thread on track.

Has anyone noticed the poppy thieves are getting beat?

IlDiavola
05-11-2017, 03:47 PM
Are motherwell better than us?

No.

But, it hardly 'says it all'.

Thecat23
Pointless arguing,Cat. Guys made his mind up that he’s right and everyone else is wrong.

Very true JB, I’m giving up now.

pacoluna
LS done us and himself proud stuck here through some terrible times and managers.

The good has certainly came with the bad.

Thecat23
irony?

Anyhow as a long time lewis fan i think i need to get this thread on track.

Has anyone noticed the poppy thieves are getting beat?

Sent from my sm-j320fn using tapatalk

mon the killie!!

pacoluna
05-11-2017, 03:48 PM
If motherwell are the best he was courted by then it says it all

Inverness under yogi tried to sign him aswell.

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 03:49 PM
Everyone with a league cup medal come into the room... Oh hiya Lewis.

Okay, everyone with a Scottish cup medal come in this room.. Oh hiya again Lewis. 👋🏼

Aldo
05-11-2017, 03:51 PM
Thanks. Unfortunately, it appears that "Aldo" doesn't. Oh well, one of those things.

Fishing for a response. Good one.

If you are unable to comprehend a simple question then why response with such a dickish comment. You knew exactly what I meant you were being awkward!

J-C
05-11-2017, 03:56 PM

You are Gail the Hanlon Hater's twin sister/brother and I claim my £10

McD
05-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Sure, your post at 8.53 last night, quoting mine. What am I supposed to think?

And no, I never said anything about Laursen or Murphy never being beaten; I said they were at a higher level.

Furthermore, why not compare to predecessors? Firstly, it's what football fans do, second if they were good it will give us all something to aspire to. Calling it "pointless" and "unproductive" is, putting it mildly, a stretch.

And in my my post I said ‘someone’ - I did not say you. So, please point to where I said you were whining or bitching, thanks.

yes they were a higher level. That’s hardly LS’s fault. Or is it every players fault that Messi is better than them?

why not compare? Give ‘us’ something to aspire to?
We can ‘aspire’ to every player being replaced with someone better. And for comparison, Lewis has 2 cup winners medals with Hibs, something that neither laursen, Murphy or both can claim.

If it’s not pointless or unproductive, can you tell me what the point or product of criticising Stevenson on here is? You stating your opinion (which you are entitled to do), won’t change his ability, pace, skills, strength, or attitude, won’t bring back Murphy, laursen or anyone else, and won’t bring the better player that you can’t name to replace Stevenson (within our budget).

I cant be bothered to multiquote your posts, I’ll reply here to something else you’ve said.
you said that you don’t have a scouting network and it’s not your job to find a replacement, all of which is true. However, it’s also not your job to pick the team or decide whether they have progressed sufficiently, but you’ve chosen to repeatedly comment on those on this thread.

Since it it is the scouts’ job, and Lennon’s job, I’ll trust them to do so, they seem to be doing pretty well.

Aldo
05-11-2017, 03:58 PM
You are Gail the Hanlon Hater's twin sister/brother and I claim my £10

[emoji23][emoji23]

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 04:04 PM
You are Gail the Hanlon Hater's twin sister/brother and I claim my £10No worries

MWHIBBIES
05-11-2017, 04:05 PM
We shall agree to disagree

Sent from my PLK-L01 using TapatalkNa, I'm right :wink:

J-C
05-11-2017, 04:10 PM
No worries

When you see Gail say hiya from everyone here and remind her that Hanlon has been called up to the Scotland squad, she like you was another roaster who posted about a player just to spout your hatred towards that player, it a very underhand tactic and rarely puts the poster in a good light.

I take it you sit by yourself at games.

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 04:18 PM
When you see Gail say hiya from everyone here and remind her that Hanlon has been called up to the Scotland squad, she like you was another roaster who posted about a player just to spout your hatred towards that player, it a very underhand tactic and rarely puts the poster in a good light.

I take it you sit by yourself at games.No...famous five with all my family and friends. Sorry to disappoint

Flyingwaitor
05-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Na, I'm right :wink:No probs!

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 04:19 PM

I take it you sit by yourself at games.

He’ll have loads of room in the new stand to pick a seat.

greenlex
05-11-2017, 04:20 PM
Motherwell...says it all

If Lewis was to leave at the end of the season it won’t be to a team in a lower league. He will have a pick if several clubs too.

hibee_girl
05-11-2017, 04:21 PM
If Lewis was to leave at the end of the season it won’t be to a team in a lower league. He will have a pick if several clubs too.

Can we not post things like this please?! :boo hoo:

Deansy
05-11-2017, 04:32 PM

You sir are a jambo.

Agreed - with a little help from one of his wee chums !. Both started this year, low posts-no.s but suddenly decide THIS subject is one to get argumentative/defensive/talk keech on ??

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 04:34 PM
Agreed - with a little help from one of his wee chums !. Both started this year, low posts-no.s but suddenly decide THIS subject is one to get argumentative/defensive/talk keech on ??

It’s clear as day mate, I bet they will either vanish or be booted. Must be horrible your team is that bad you have to post on Hibs.net for entertainment!!

Albanian Hibs
05-11-2017, 04:41 PM

Yawn

zz75
05-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Fishing for a response. Good one.

If you are unable to comprehend a simple question then why response with such a dickish comment. You knew exactly what I meant you were being awkward! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not short of confidence are you?

The fact is that asking me to name a player won't solve anything. It's not my area of expertise, nor do I know what priority Neil Lennon has set left back. There was an interesting contribution up thread on Barker coming in which allows us to go wide without using the full backs; perhaps that's the way he wants to go. It's been noticeable from last season. I personally would like better ability on the ball and perhaps more dynamism from the full back, like the players that I previously mentioned. N.B. David Gray has also struggled with delivery from wide.

I'll meet you part of the way on your question: I'd look in the English reserves and youths for one. We might get a another David Murphy, although we might get another Craig James. Or perhaps Eastern Europe as I distinctly remember when Maribor blew us away at Easter Road I asked myself as to who had the higher wage bill.

Would you care to comment on how I assessed Stevenson's attributes up thread? I don't think I've seen anyone disagree with them yet. Indeed, part of my purpose in contributing here was to move away from "Lewis is brilliant" v's "Lewis is dire". As a long term reader of this forum, it's boring due to the lack of nuance.

Aldo
05-11-2017, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=zz75;5213092]Not short of confidence are you?

No and never will be.

I appreciate and respect the majority on here and yes everyone has opinions but I asked a simple question (a couple of times at least) and you made smart arsed comments about scouting networks blah blah when you knew exactly what I meant!

I will comment no further on your posts and watch from afar as it’s not worth it.

Dr_Regal
05-11-2017, 05:44 PM
I count 4 errors leading to goals in the last 7 games. Roasted by GMS, Roasted by Deacon yesterday, and played Celtic onside twice in the Semi-Final.

He is the weak link in the back line and that's just the truth of it. I love that he has built up this folklore around him and I commend him him on a great career with Hibs. I've never rated him.

I'd bring in some competition, although Hanlon would be a good option, with Porteous and McGregor pushing for places.

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 05:56 PM
I count 4 errors leading to goals in the last 7 games. Roasted by GMS, Roasted by Deacon yesterday, and played Celtic onside twice in the Semi-Final.

He is the weak link in the back line and that's just the truth of it. I love that he has built up this folklore around him and I commend him him on a great career with Hibs. I've never rated him.

I'd bring in some competition, although Hanlon would be a good option, with Porteous and McGregor pushing for places.

What about all the other games he’s been solid in? You won’t see them though as you simply don’t rate him (see above) folk now going out their way to have a pop is embarrassing.

huggie1875
05-11-2017, 06:00 PM
I don't know whats worse the galoot who posted this thread or the galloots who argue with what is obviously an idiot with wifi 8 pages jeezo

zz75
05-11-2017, 06:01 PM
And in my my post I said ‘someone’ - I did not say you. So, please point to where I said you were whining or bitching, thanks.

yes they were a higher level. That’s hardly LS’s fault. Or is it every players fault that Messi is better than them?

why not compare? Give ‘us’ something to aspire to?
We can ‘aspire’ to every player being replaced with someone better. And for comparison, Lewis has 2 cup winners medals with Hibs, something that neither laursen, Murphy or both can claim.

If it’s not pointless or unproductive, can you tell me what the point or product of criticising Stevenson on here is? You stating your opinion (which you are entitled to do), won’t change his ability, pace, skills, strength, or attitude, won’t bring back Murphy, laursen or anyone else, and won’t bring the better player that you can’t name to replace Stevenson (within our budget).

I cant be bothered to multiquote your posts, I’ll reply here to something else you’ve said.
you said that you don’t have a scouting network and it’s not your job to find a replacement, all of which is true. However, it’s also not your job to pick the team or decide whether they have progressed sufficiently, but you’ve chosen to repeatedly comment on those on this thread.

Since it it is the scouts’ job, and Lennon’s job, I’ll trust them to do so, they seem to be doing pretty well.

1/ Then why quote me? You could have made a second post with general comments. But fine, let's leave it at that.

2/ I didn't say it was Stevenson's fault either. I'll leave aside the hyperbole around Messi.

3/ My purpose in opining on Stevenson was to move the debate on from "he's brilliant" v's "he's dreadful". I personally would like to see more attacking ability from full back.

4/ Again, I don't see the merit in me naming a specific player, but please see my previous post if you're interested.

5/ I'm afraid that it is up to me to decide if I see progress. If we were to stand still while we have this momentum I'd be dissapointed and perhaps would choose to stop going to games.

staunchhibby
05-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Possibly teletext supporter 😉

zz75
05-11-2017, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=zz75;5213092]Not short of confidence are you?

No and never will be.

I appreciate and respect the majority on here and yes everyone has opinions but I asked a simple question (a couple of times at least) and you made smart arsed comments about scouting networks blah blah when you knew exactly what I meant!

I will comment no further on your posts and watch from afar as it’s not worth it.

My point is that it's not a simple question; there are nuances to it, which I've laid out.

As for your confidence, you'd do well to be less so in your vocabulary. Using "dickish" and "smart-arsed" is pretty poor. I ignored the first of the two.

But you won't respond to this which is entirely your prerogative. Therefore, I hope that you enjoy the rest of the thread.

IlDiavola
05-11-2017, 06:13 PM
I don't know whats worse the galoot who posted this thread or the galloots who argue with what is obviously an idiot with wifi 8 pages jeezo

Has gone mysteriously quiet. :confused:

Maybe he's upset about the result at Roseburn. :greengrin:greengrin

greenlex
05-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Logan outmuscled in the wall by wait for it....... David Templeton at Hamilton’s opener. I wonder if there’s a thread up there about him not being good enough?

The Leith Dutch
05-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Again, you're trolling.

Your point was "Where else was he going to go? Who bid for him?" which is clearly implying no one bid for him because he's not any good.
Now that someone points out you're wrong you're making out that you meant "why didn't one of the very top clubs bid for him?"

If that's what you mean then actually write that because right now you're coming across as an argumentative plank.

Northernhibee
05-11-2017, 06:32 PM

You sir are a jambo.

If Stuart McCall had been retained as Rangers manager he'd have made a bid for him.

eastcoasthibby
05-11-2017, 06:51 PM
And how often foes he play? Never. Or on the bench? A development squad player shouldnt be his only competition

Crane isn't good enough at this level IMO ..decent lad but a bit short of the qualities needed!!

Captain Trips
05-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Where else was he going to go? Who bid for him?

I have no idea nor do you who may have wanted him also could have let his contract finish. Who bid for him? I can name at least 20 players we have had in last 10 years who have been utter dross and got clubs after us.

Thecat23
05-11-2017, 07:04 PM
If Stuart McCall had been retained as Rangers manager he'd have made a bid for him.

Correct!

Hibbyradge
05-11-2017, 07:08 PM
These people are not Hibs supporters.

They should be ignored.

They came from nowhere and they will disappear soon enough.

McD
05-11-2017, 07:39 PM
1/ Then why quote me? You could have made a second post with general comments. But fine, let's leave it at that.

2/ I didn't say it was Stevenson's fault either. I'll leave aside the hyperbole around Messi.

3/ My purpose in opining on Stevenson was to move the debate on from "he's brilliant" v's "he's dreadful". I personally would like to see more attacking ability from full back.

4/ Again, I don't see the merit in me naming a specific player, but please see my previous post if you're interested.

5/ I'm afraid that it is up to me to decide if I see progress. If we were to stand still while we have this momentum I'd be dissapointed and perhaps would choose to stop going to games.

1. I was also replying to you apart from that sentence. Again, I didn’t reference you, I said someone. Touchy much?

2. You were the one who made the comparison, no one else. It’s not hyperbole about Messi, it’s taking what you said to its conclusion.

3. You want to move on the debate - fair enough. I’m not sure how you’ve spoken has done that, but I take your point.

4. You don’t see the merit in naming a player but you do see the merit in ripping into one. Class argument that, it’s ok to tear into LS but don’t ask you to provide any positive input into the discussion. Cool.

5. Don’t be afraid, there’s nothing to be scared of. I agree about momentum, but that should apply across the squad/club, not just to one player. As for choosing to stop, if this is indicative of the support you offer whilst at games...

zz75
05-11-2017, 07:43 PM
It’s clear as day mate, I bet they will either vanish or be booted. Must be horrible your team is that bad you have to post on Hibs.net for entertainment!!

Hi,

If I'm right in assuming that you mean me here, then I'm afraid that you're incorrect. I was at Easter Road yesterday.

Never heard of the person who started the thread until now, but as a long term viewer of this forum (since someone I think I recall as being called Stuart Crowther curated it) I see these debates (if you can call them that) play out the same way all the time, so I decided to pitch in.

zz75
05-11-2017, 07:57 PM
1. I was also replying to you apart from that sentence. Again, I didn’t reference you, I said someone. Touchy much?

2. You were the one who made the comparison, no one else. It’s not hyperbole about Messi, it’s taking what you said to its conclusion.

3. You want to move on the debate - fair enough. I’m not sure how you’ve spoken has done that, but I take your point.

4. You don’t see the merit in naming a player but you do see the merit in ripping into one. Class argument that, it’s ok to tear into LS but don’t ask you to provide any positive input into the discussion. Cool.

5. Don’t be afraid, there’s nothing to be scared of. I agree about momentum, but that should apply across the squad/club, not just to one player. As for choosing to stop, if this is indicative of the support you offer whilst at games...

1/ I get where you are with this which is why I said fine previously.

2/ Sorry, I don't agree. There's no way we will sign a player of Messi's calibre at his peak. We could find a gem of a young player, though.

3/ I've been nothing but polite, if direct.

4/ "Ripping into"? Completely inaccurate, I made a fair assessment earlier on this thread.

5/ Needless first sentence, and I never wrote anything about it being restricted to one player either. You may have seen the support that I offer and if you have then I can assure you that it won't be what you've just assumed.

Hiber-nation
05-11-2017, 08:04 PM

Thankfully our manager actually knows something about football, unlike you and didn't bother to sign a replacement in the summer.

heretoday
05-11-2017, 08:28 PM
Scott McMann, Hamilton Accies.

BSEJVT
05-11-2017, 08:52 PM
The good has certainly came with the bad.

As it has and will with every player on our books if some of the various posts on their respective merits or the lack thereof are to be believed.

The real problem with most football fans (and I am guilty of this too) is that they make their mind up negatively about a player and then find it extremely difficult to change it.

I have been very critical of Lewis in the past (and there is no doubt he has his limitations) but if all you ever want to do is castigate a player for his limitations without acknowledging all (or even some of) the good things they do, then football must be a joyless business for you and others of your ilk.

For example he saved a certain goal at Kilmarnock the other night by tracking back Jones.

The amount of stick Paul Hanlon used to get on here was unreal, even now when he is at the top of his form and has been called up by our country, the amount of folk wanting to hark back to previously perceived shortcomings is astonishing.

If Hanlon isn't the best all round centre half in the league, I don't know who is

pacoluna
05-11-2017, 09:09 PM
Are people disputing the fact Stevenson needs compitition? Staying this fact doesn't mean we hold polar opposite views regarding his abilities.

McD
05-11-2017, 09:16 PM
1/ I get where you are with this which is why I said fine previously.

2/ Sorry, I don't agree. There's no way we will sign a player of Messi's calibre at his peak. We could find a gem of a young player, though.

3/ I've been nothing but polite, if direct.

4/ "Ripping into"? Completely inaccurate, I made a fair assessment earlier on this thread.

5/ Needless first sentence, and I never wrote anything about it being restricted to one player either. You may have seen the support that I offer and if you have then I can assure you that it won't be what you've just assumed.

Im not looking for an argument, so I’m going to bow out, with saying this. Point 3 - my apologies if it came across I was implying you hadn’t been polite, that wasn’t my intention, you’ve been polite.

zz75
05-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Im not looking for an argument, so I’m going to bow out, with saying this. Point 3 - my apologies if it came across I was implying you hadn’t been polite, that wasn’t my intention, you’ve been polite.

Cool. Enjoy your evening (or morning, or afternoon).

Mikey09
05-11-2017, 10:28 PM
Hi,

If I'm right in assuming that you mean me here, then I'm afraid that you're incorrect. I was at Easter Road yesterday.

Never heard of the person who started the thread until now, but as a long term viewer of this forum (since someone I think I recall as being called Stuart Crowther curated it) I see these debates (if you can call them that) play out the same way all the time, so I decided to pitch in.

**** me. Please stay!! You're hilarious!! And so modest!

pacoluna
05-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Are people disputing the fact Stevenson needs compitition? Staying this fact doesn't mean we hold polar opposite views regarding his abilities.

I take that as no one disputes the fact then that ideally he should have compitition for the left back position.

greenlex
05-11-2017, 10:57 PM
I take that as no one disputes the fact then that ideally he should have compitition for the left back position.

I don’t think anybody actually is. The left back position in the last transfer window wasn’t exactly top of the fixing list. It probably still isn’t.

zz75
06-11-2017, 12:05 AM
**** me. Please stay!! You're hilarious!! And so modest!

So what do you think of Lewis Stevenson as a player?

jax67
06-11-2017, 06:15 AM
Four wins in a row,conceded one goal in that time,
yep, let’s hound a defender. Hibs class.... NOT!

Booked4Being-Ugly
06-11-2017, 06:46 AM
Four wins in a row,conceded one goal in that time,
yep, let’s hound a defender. Hibs class.... NOT!Exactly, p!ss poor thread.

J-C
06-11-2017, 07:48 AM
So what do you think of Lewis Stevenson as a player?

Good solid defensive left back, no nonsense in the tackle, positionally very good, has improved on his jumping, crossing could be better but not brutal, his only downfall is he's not a natural wingback that bombs forward and takes a man on, it's not in his psyche as a player, remember he was a defensive minded left midfielder when he was younger. In short we could do a lot worse, he plays better when there's a winger in front of him, Barker on saturday gave him no help at all, just look on the other wing and the defensive stuff Boyle did, like night and day.

jakedance
06-11-2017, 08:00 AM
I like Lewis as a player and we could do with more footballers with his kind of attitude. An entirely solid, dependable 7/10 every week that very rarely gets the piss taken out of him and tackles hard. If he finishes his career at Hibs I’ll be a happy man.

All that being said, it’s good to have competition for places and there are better left backs in the world than Lewis Stevenson. It’s an area we can strengthen.

The frustrating thing about the endless Stevenson debate is that most of us have enough respect for him that we want to defend him from the, usually unfair, criticism he receives from a vocal minority. The middle ground is that it’s a position where can improve but we’ve got a good player in there just now that we can rely on.

If Lewis reads hibs.net - I love you wee man.

worcesterhibby
06-11-2017, 09:04 AM
poor comments from OP..LS is a fantastic footballer and excellent defender.