04-11-2017, 05:44 PM
Match winner today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LancsHibs
04-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Stokes was just pure class 2nd half

Baw187
04-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Had the pleasure of being right in line with him in the west when he looked up and played that ball to Murray. Sensational ball.

GreenCastle
04-11-2017, 05:51 PM
What an impact!

When he plays like that it’s a joy to watch and easily our best striker.

Looked hungry today and what a pass for the goal.

Mibbes Aye
04-11-2017, 05:56 PM
Looked great today, his positioning was exemplary. Lovely little bit of showboating when he was doing keepie-uppies by the corner flag.

green day
04-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Match winner today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, 100% agree. He must be a tad miffed that Murray didnt have the nous to set him up for a goal too.

calumhibee1
04-11-2017, 06:14 PM
Stokes was just pure class 2nd half

Yup. Outstanding when he came on.

givescotlandfreedom
04-11-2017, 06:19 PM
What a ball. If he and Murray can link up like that regularly we're onto a winner.

gazzag70
04-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Stokes was fantastic, I would love to see him and Murray up front more often,especially at home. They have the makings of a great partnership!

SirDavidsNapper
04-11-2017, 06:24 PM
Brilliant knowing a player of his quality is ours and not on loan. He's an exceptional footballer.

Smartie
04-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Yep, 100% agree. He must be a tad miffed that Murray didnt have the nous to set him up for a goal too.

He was free at the back post at least twice if only Murray had known he was there.

staunchhibby
04-11-2017, 07:24 PM
Loved stokesy keepy up on the touchline pure show boating.

G B Young
04-11-2017, 07:27 PM
Superb display.

McCann seems to think he should have been sent off. Did anyone see what happened in that flare-up? Lennon seems to bring a bit of perspective:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41871094

Prof. Shaggy
04-11-2017, 07:35 PM
Superb display.

McCann seems to think he should have been sent off. Did anyone see what happened in that flare-up? Lennon seems to bring a bit of perspective:

I blame the Dundee player's poor attempt at "Heartbreak Hotel" for that one.

SingaporeHibs
04-11-2017, 07:36 PM
It was a great ball in for the goal, Lennon has had a winning team so what a great problem to have. Who to drop? For me we drop Barker and have Stokes and Murray on the pitch together. Boyle doing what he does. It does change the formation though. These 3 guys can be lethal together. Onwards we go, Glad the international break comes in here, it's been a tough 2 weeks for them. I love the look of the league table.

houstonhibbee
04-11-2017, 07:50 PM
I blame the Dundee player's poor attempt at "Heartbreak Hotel" for that one.
I saw it clearly on Hibs TV and from being on the periphery he deliberately moved to get involved and it looked like a clear punch below the belt. I think he was going to get a red deservedly and was lucky that referees presumably didn't see it and went on the linesman's story of it. Dundee player made a meal to it but that in no way absolves Stokes.

erin go bragh
04-11-2017, 08:01 PM
Brilliant from Stokes today . His keepy uppy at the corner flag was class .
The Legend just keeps on growing.

Smartie
04-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Stokes needs to watch his step.

It sounds like he was far from innocent on this occasion, and he's got himself involved in stuff like this on a few occasions already this season.

We can't afford to go down to 10 men in important games and we can't afford to be having players out suspended unnecessarily with the stretched squad we have.

It's fine being aggressive and showing commitment but I'd hope someone (probably not Lennon tbh) would be having a word with him to rein it in a bit.

He was immense today. Top notch. He just needs to watch the silly stuff, it's not like Beaton looked like he needed an excuse to send one of our players off today.

JimBHibees
04-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Stokes needs to watch his step.

It sounds like he was far from innocent on this occasion, and he's got himself involved in stuff like this on a few occasions already this season.

We can't afford to go down to 10 men in important games and we can't afford to be having players out suspended unnecessarily with the stretched squad we have.

It's fine being aggressive and showing commitment but I'd hope someone (probably not Lennon tbh) would be having a word with him to rein it in a bit.

He was immense today. Top notch. He just needs to watch the silly stuff, it's not like Beaton liked like he needed an excuse to send one of our players off today.

If he did what he is accused of will likely get done though it does appear to have been dealt with.

Famous Fiver
04-11-2017, 08:52 PM
McCann's outburst reminiscent of that other Hearts roaster Houston.

Ignores all his team's fouls, assaults and aggression and picks on one innocuous incident and tries to raise it to the level of capital punishment.

Enjoy the championship next season Neil:na na:

RG63
04-11-2017, 08:52 PM
Agree Stokes was fantastic but this aggression has to stop. Also not that it’s a massive deal but why does he head up tunnel at FT and not acknowledge the fans the same as the rest of the team. It can’t be good for team bonding. Maybe just making sure there’s enough hot water getting a shower first. Just wondered.

RG63
04-11-2017, 08:54 PM
If he did what he is accused of will likely get done though it does appear to have been dealt with.

Think if it’s dealt with on the park then that’s that.

Borderhibbie76
04-11-2017, 08:57 PM
Brilliant knowing a player of his quality is ours and not on loan. He's an exceptional footballer.Absolutely...yet some think we are better without him in team. Just crazy the guy is sheer class

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
04-11-2017, 08:58 PM
If he did what he is accused of will likely get done though it does appear to have been dealt with.Can't be done he was shown a yellow so no further punishment can be dished out

Eyrie
04-11-2017, 09:13 PM
Loved stokesy keepy up on the touchline pure show boating.

I thought he was trying to get the ball high enough to cross it with an overhead kick.

Fortunately Stokes is a smarter player than I ever was, so he wasn't trying that.

The Spaceman
04-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Looking like the player we were all hoping for :aok: his hold up play today was brilliant and he is utterly lethal cutting in from the left.

JimBHibees
04-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Can't be done he was shown a yellow so no further punishment can be dished out

Certainly hope that is the case however they make up the rules as they go.

Criswell
04-11-2017, 09:53 PM
When McGeough went off I actually questioned Lennon's decision to replace him with Stokes rather than Slivka. I thought it would leave us short in midfield. It turned out to be an inspired choice. He was in superb form.

iwasthere1972
04-11-2017, 10:00 PM
Superb display.

Haven't read what McCann said but my immediate thought is that Stokes kicked the Dundee player in the family allowance area and guaranteed that it would end up a red card. Was relieved that only a yellow was shown.

matty_f
04-11-2017, 10:03 PM
I didn't think Stokes did much, if anything, to Meekings, who went down like he'd been shot.

Meekings very much looked like he only got involved to go down and try and get a red card for Stokes.

Stokes was outstanding in the second half. Led the line superbly and deserves a goal for his efforts today.

gaz1875
04-11-2017, 10:04 PM
When McGeough went off I actually questioned Lennon's decision to replace him with Stokes rather than Slivka. I thought it would leave us short in midfield. It turned out to be an inspired choice. He was in superb form.

I said the same, our midfield were all over the place today, thought it was an odd decision, but second half switch to three at the back worked a treat and Stokes excelled in his free role.

hibee_girl
04-11-2017, 10:04 PM
I didn't think Stokes did much, if anything, to Meekings, who went down like he'd been shot.

Meekings very much looked like he only got involved to go down and try and get a red card for Stokes.

Stokes was outstanding in the second half. Led the line superbly and deserves a goal for his efforts today.

I’d agree with that, it looked like Stokes didn’t touch him

Billy Whizz
04-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Amidst all this, Beaton caused the trouble with the foul given against Porteous

seanshow
04-11-2017, 10:10 PM
If Murray could just find the composure and return the favour with a few killer passes or a cheeky cut back to Stokes we would be devasting, and score a lot more goals.

Great team performace all in and one of the toughest wins of the season. :flag:

matty_f
04-11-2017, 10:15 PM

:agree:

LaMotta
04-11-2017, 10:19 PM
I see Lennon has said that he thinks Stokes was actually onside for his disallowed offside goal.

I thought he looked off at the time.

Thoughts?

ekhibee
04-11-2017, 10:33 PM
I totally blame the Dundee player before I would blame Stokes, it was clearly the Dundee player that started it and it was right in front of me. I don't really see how anybody can even imply that Stokes started it, that's complete nonsense. The Dundee player then fell to the ground as if he'd been poleaxed, obviously trying to get Stokes sent off.

StevieCowan
04-11-2017, 10:36 PM
Think Stokes might get in bother for this.. he does punch him in the nuts.

BegbieHSC
04-11-2017, 11:20 PM
Absolute legend!
Him and Murray seem to work really well together.
Murray could be Stokesy’s new Gary Hooper

Nicho87
04-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Creative

Sas_The_Hibby
04-11-2017, 11:28 PM

If Stokes did what he's being accused of, retaliation or not, he should have been sent off.

However, Beaton's inability (unwillingness?) to do anything about Hibs players being continually impeded and held inevitably led to Hibs players taking things into their own hands. As you say the foul against Porteous looked as laughable as the foul against Boyle v Hearts for heading Berra's studs.

kaimendhibs
04-11-2017, 11:30 PM
If he did what he is accused of will likely get done though it does appear to have been dealt with.He was booked so in the clear

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kaimendhibs
04-11-2017, 11:33 PM
Loads of Hibs fans ctitiscise Stokes, lack of effort, desire, hunger. Say he is lazy. I say, go to games, dont rely on hearsay and see how lucky we are to have gim

BegbieHSC
04-11-2017, 11:36 PM
Loads of Hibs fans ctitiscise Stokes, lack of effort, desire, hunger. Say he is lazy. I say, go to games, dont rely on hearsay and see how lucky we are to have gim

This!
Stokesy is one of the most creative forwards I’ve seen at Easter Road!
Pure class, and we’re lucky to have him.

JohnM1875
04-11-2017, 11:50 PM
He’s without a doubt pur most naturally talented player. At times he’s so far ahead it’s crazy. If Murray had half his football brain the last 20 minutes would have been a breeze as we would have been. 3-1 up.

vuefrom1875
04-11-2017, 11:55 PM
Superb display.

Back to Sky ya COCK 😀⚽

Johnny_Leith
04-11-2017, 11:57 PM
This!
Stokesy is one of the most creative forwards I’ve seen at Easter Road!
Pure class, and we’re lucky to have him.

It's amazing how much has game has developed from being at Celtic. His first spell here, he was a complete poacher and his build up play left a lot to be desired, but now he's a much more complete player.

Maybe it's the hair transplant 😂

Sir David Gray
05-11-2017, 01:06 AM
He probably was lucky not to be sent off but the guy's reaction was embarrassing.

Stokes really needs to stop getting involved in these types of situations. It's only a matter of time before he's sent off and he's no good sitting in the stand.

California-Hibs
05-11-2017, 01:45 AM
I watched it on HibsTV and he punched the lad straight in the stones, couldn’t believe what I saw! Was a certain red and both he and us got away with it!

andybev1
05-11-2017, 03:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN7Zn_PvKC0

LOL, he is so 'streetwise', if you check out how he dealt with the guy during the porteus melee. Classic! maybe not do it again though anthony :)

and the good thing is he got a yellow so no complaints afterwards.

p.s. I was talking about the arm around the neck when I said streetwise (the nuts was a bit blatant)

andybev1
05-11-2017, 03:37 AM
I watched it on HibsTV and he punched the lad straight in the stones, couldn’t believe what I saw! Was a certain red and both he and us got away with it!

more of a flick than a punch but I was surprised at the time, just as well for him the ref was so incompetent.

GlazedDonut
05-11-2017, 04:17 AM
I see Lennon has said that he thinks Stokes was actually onside for his disallowed offside goal.

Thoughts?

I thought he was on, yet from where i sit i'm in no position to judge. Was some move and finish regardless!

BigKev
05-11-2017, 07:21 AM
I never thought he touched the boy at the game but I've seen it on Sky and Stokes has got away with one. I think he can still get done if the linesman and ref say he was booked for something else rather than that.

Looked to be out to prove a point yesterday so I'd be delighted to be proved wrong 😊

ian cruise
05-11-2017, 07:49 AM

Absolutely, I can't believe we have him. I know he didn't do great at Blackburn but I'm sure they would be other clubs down south that would still take a chance on him.

Some of the criticism he gets, along with constant speculation about his life away from the first team, is uncalled for. And some folk were wondering why he heads straight down the tunnel after games? I don't know if it's because he doesn't feel he gets enough backing during games but I wouldn't blame him if it was part of the reason.

weecounty hibby
05-11-2017, 07:58 AM
If there is any retrospective action taken then it is a disgrace and clearly an agenda by the authorities. To clear up any doubt about what is OFFICIALLY a yellow card go and watch what Ryan Jack had a red downgraded to a yellow for. SFA/SPFL have set the benchmark for what you can get away with without being sent off with that one. It's there on video evidence and have judged a kicked and manhandling of an opponent to be yellow only

Aldo
05-11-2017, 08:08 AM
If there is any retrospective action taken then it is a disgrace and clearly an agenda by the authorities. To clear up any doubt about what is OFFICIALLY a yellow card go and watch what Ryan Jack had a red downgraded to a yellow for. SFA/SPFL have set the benchmark for what you can get away with without being sent off with that one. It's there on video evidence and have judged a kicked and manhandling of an opponent to be yellow only

Agreed!

However one rule for them and a different standard of rules for others!

Mr White
05-11-2017, 08:09 AM
Why did Porteous get booked? Even if he's adjudged to have fouled his opponent, which is debatable in itself, it's never a booking. Unless it was for refusing to come back when called? Most likely Beaton booked him in order to take the spotlight off his complete loss of control of the situation.

Libby Hibby
05-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Why did Porteous get booked? Even if he's adjudged to have fouled his opponent, which is debatable in itself, it's never a booking. Unless it was for refusing to come back when called? Most likely Beaton booked him in order to take the spotlight off his complete loss of control of the situation.

If he was judged by the ref to have deliberately caught McGowan in the face with part of his arm, then it’s violent contact and a red.

But Portueous had his back to McGowan and his arms out to give him balance and he ran into Porteous, not quite sure how it was even judged a foul let alone a punishable yellow offence.

Glad it happened mind you as the rammy that followed was certainly a catalyst to spurring us on to a hard earned victory.

rossevenil
05-11-2017, 08:58 AM
https://s19.postimg.org/axq2cyrj7/Untitled-1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Looks onside to me from this screengrab

matty_f
05-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Was the Dundee player that crossed for their goal offside?

Twiglet
05-11-2017, 09:21 AM
It was the lineswoman from the west stand side that told the ref what happened I think. As soon as it happened she went running over and stood pointing at Meekings and talking to the Dundee players. She must have thought it was an overreaction by Meekings.

rossevenil
05-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Was the Dundee player that crossed for their goal offside?
Very tight looking at it a few times,but looks like marginally off to me?

https://s19.postimg.org/cj9xialxf/Untitled-2.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Sammy7nil
05-11-2017, 09:25 AM

Thoughts?

I thought Murray looked offside for his goal from the screen grab Stokes looks onside

Jones28
05-11-2017, 09:27 AM
https://s19.postimg.org/axq2cyrj7/Untitled-1.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Looks onside to me from this screengrab

I reckon he's level

matty_f
05-11-2017, 09:37 AM
It was the lineswoman from the west stand side that told the ref what happened I think. As soon as it happened she went running over and stood pointing at Meekings and talking to the Dundee players. She must have thought it was an overreaction by Meekings.

She was right.

heretoday
05-11-2017, 09:40 AM
Stokes is great. You need someone with a bit of devilry about them. It keeps the opposition on their toes.:devil:

JimBHibees
05-11-2017, 09:45 AM

It was Jack Hendry not Meekngs.

JimBHibees
05-11-2017, 09:45 AM
I reckon he's level

Looks like the left back Holt is playing him on.

Twiglet
05-11-2017, 10:06 AM

I just realised that now. Still ott reaction by the Dundee player and the lineswoman saw it and I think she agreed.

Sas_The_Hibby
05-11-2017, 11:22 AM
I just realised that now. Still ott reaction by the Dundee player and the lineswoman saw it and I think she agreed.

The game's definitely gone downhill since they let men officiate! :greengrin:wink:

lord bunberry
05-11-2017, 11:31 AM

Thoughts?
Just watched the highlights and he looks onside to me.

Twiglet
05-11-2017, 11:44 AM
The game's definitely gone downhill since they let men officiate! :greengrin:wink:

Definitely! :greengrin Ha ha.

I wonder if the outcome would have been any different if it had been a man on the line seeing the incident.

Stantons Angel
05-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Had the pleasure of being right in line with him in the west when he looked up and played that ball to Murray. Sensational ball.

i watched that whole move coming through and when he started running with the ball i saw him looking over to see where the lad was and then delivered a perfect pass for Murray to put away.

Superb football from all concerned in the move.!

matty_f
05-11-2017, 11:54 AM

I blame my son, he said it was Meekings at the game so I just went with that!

Eyrie
05-11-2017, 01:11 PM

Stokes was walking away when the Dundee player pushed him in the back. Stokes then turned round and the two squared up to each other before the hand flick caused the Dundee player to look at the referee before falling down. That flick was the only reason for Stokes to be booked. The Dundee player was probably booked for the push rather than the dive.

The lineswoman had a good view as she was going onto the pitch at the time and then advised Beaton correctly.

cabbageandribs1875
05-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Hendry looked quite foolish rolling about

banchoryhibs
05-11-2017, 01:56 PM
Stokes was walking away when the Dundee player pushed him in the back. Stokes then turned round and the two squared up to each other before the hand flick caused the Dundee player to look at the referee before falling down. That flick was the only reason for Stokes to be booked. The Dundee player was probably booked for the push rather than the dive.

The lineswoman had a good view as she was going onto the pitch at the time and then advised Beaton correctly.

Hendry was in John McGinn's face to begin witb. Big Marv moved him away from that fracas but he then ran round the back of the .melee to have another pop. Stokes got in his way so he squared up to him. The boy had lost the plot so deserved his booking (and the swift tap in his crown jewels to be fair)

NAE NOOKIE
05-11-2017, 02:26 PM
Even if it wasn't 90 minutes that was one of Stokes best games for Hibs in either of his two most recent spells at the club. But I do wish he wouldn't get involved, he has been lucky a couple of times this season already and its only a matter of time before his luck runs out. My granddad was Irish and my mum said he couldn't see a fight without wanting to be in it ... sounds like Mr Stokes is from the same stock :greengrin

telford hibbee
05-11-2017, 03:13 PM
We definitely get more from stokes when he is fired up about something or other and he was definitely fired up yesterday.

The Harp Awakes
05-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Hendry looked quite foolish rolling about

Yes, he made a d1ck of himself launching himself to the ground and rolling about. Neil McCann looks like a man under pressure. His team were beaten because Hibs upped their game in the 2nd half and Dundee couldn't cope. Sour grapes from Mr McCann raging at the ref over the incident. No class.

ACLeith
05-11-2017, 03:34 PM
Yes, he made a d1ck of himself launching himself to the ground and rolling about. Neil McCann looks like a man under pressure. His team were beaten because Hibs upped their game in the 2nd half and Dundee couldn't cope. Sour grapes from Mr McCann raging at the ref over the incident. No class.

Instructive watching him yesterday. Real managers do their tactical work midweek and at the game it is general guidance e.g. To press higher, to move it quicker, or giving an individual a bollocking or praise.

But all he seemed to do was tell this pkayer to move across a few yards, that player to move back, sometimes to 6 players in a few seconds. Wee boys stuff, out his depth and won't last much longer.

Some decent players though, someone who knows what they are doing will soon have them climbing the league

Sammy7nil
05-11-2017, 03:50 PM
Instructive watching him yesterday. Real managers do their tactical work midweek and at the game it is general guidance e.g. To press higher, to move it quicker, or giving an individual a bollocking or praise.

But all he seemed to do was tell this pkayer to move across a few yards, that player to move back, sometimes to 6 players in a few seconds. Wee boys stuff, out his depth and won't last much longer.

Some decent players though, someone who knows what they are doing will soon have them climbing the league

A wee bit harsh on McCann his team have played very well in the last three games for no reward. If Rocky does not make that save this maybe a very different conversation. Very fine lines.

JJP
05-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Hate to say it but after watching the highlights on YouTube, Stokes is very lucky to have only seen yellow. Plenty of people highlighting the fact the Hendrie ran after Stokes but Stokes grabbed him around the neck from behind in the first place. I think Stokes needs to stop this sort of behaviour or it won't be long until he does receive a red card and we are forced to finish a game with ten men.

ekhibee
05-11-2017, 05:55 PM
Hate to say it but after watching the highlights on YouTube, Stokes is very lucky to have only seen yellow. Plenty of people highlighting the fact the Hendrie ran after Stokes but Stokes grabbed him around the neck from behind in the first place. I think Stokes needs to stop this sort of behaviour or it won't be long until he does receive a red card and we are forced to finish a game with ten men.
Hendrie was one of a group of players trying to square up with Bartley, to me Stokes was dragging him away from Bartley then Hendrie tried squaring up with him instead. Stokes shouldn't have got involved but Hendrie was the instigator.

--------
05-11-2017, 07:50 PM
Looks like the left back Holt is playing him on.

Yup. That goal was more onside than Gabriel was for the third Man City goal this afternoon. :agree:

--------
05-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Hendrie was one of a group of players trying to square up with Bartley, to me Stokes was dragging him away from Bartley then Hendrie tried squaring up with him instead. Stokes shouldn't have got involved but Hendrie was the instigator.

The problem is that if you see the whole opposition team ganging up on one of your team-mates, your instinct is to pile in. It's not that you're looking for trouble - it's natural to want to support your mate and prevent the other team from bullying him.

Hendry was as guilty as anyone in that fracas, and whatever Stokes did to him (and I'm sure McCann wouldn't have misrepresented what happened - would he?) he clearly made as big a theatrical production of his injury as he possibly could.

Am I being paranoid in thinking that right now we have two guys in our club set-up that just set the red-white-and-blue community raging as soon as they appear on the scene? Neil Lennon and Anthony Stokes? And McCann has connections with Hearts (player, twice), Rangers (player) and Dundee (player, twice and manager) - but he wouldn't be biassed, would he?

ancient hibee
05-11-2017, 08:06 PM
What sums it up for me is that when John Kennedy had his career ended playing for Scotland Bertie Vogts said that what disappointed him most was that none of the team clattered the guy who did it.

greenlex
05-11-2017, 08:10 PM
What sums it up for me is that when John Kennedy had his career ended playing for Scotland Bertie Vogts said that what disappointed him most was that none of the team clattered the guy who did it.

I’ve played in teams where you were on your own. I’ve played in teams where you gas each other’s backs. Some were successful and I enjoyed playing in them. Others weren’t.

--------
05-11-2017, 08:19 PM

Assistant referee, please. Her gender is irrelevant.

I think she had a better view from where she was standing than Beaton had. And credit to her for taking the initiative and getting involved - some male assistants would have laid low and said nothing. Stokes might then have got the red he possibly deserved. But from the TV there's no really clear view of what actually happened, and Hendry's over-reaction (he was perfectly OK almost immediately, which in my experience isn't the case when you get hit where McCann claimed he was hit as hard as McCann claimed Stokes hit him - you don't get up too quickly after a solid punch in the goolies) casts suspicion on the official Dundee FC account of the event.

Wow! Ancient, I'm surprised at you! Shocked, in fact.

But I do remember a number of such incidents back in the day ... Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind? :devil:

My_Wife_Camille
05-11-2017, 08:29 PM

I think she had a better view from where she was standing than Beaton had. And credit to her for taking the initiative and getting involved - some male assistants would have laid low and said nothing. Stokes might then have got the red he possibly deserved. But from the TV there's no really clear view of what actually happened, and Hendry's over-reaction (he was perfectly OK almost immediately, which in my experience isn't the case when you get hit where McCann claimed he was hit as hard as McCann claimed Stokes hit him - you don't get up too quickly after a solid punch in the goolies) casts suspicion on the official Dundee FC account of the event.

Please do not bring gender into this.

Clerie Green
05-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Who does gender play for ? :wink:

anon1875
05-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Stokes defos slapped him in the nuts. The video is hilarious

SRHibs
05-11-2017, 08:50 PM

Could you both please refrain from assuming their genders. “They/them” until further notice.

05-11-2017, 09:03 PM

But I do remember a number of such incidents back in the day ... Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind? :devil:

Stokes missed the "target" and was probably lucky to get away with a yellow card. He's an easy target for the opposition players to try and wind up because they know he'll react. Lennon should tell Hanlon that whenever these situations kick off the 1st thing he should do is get Stokes away from it.

Green Badger
05-11-2017, 09:17 PM
I think the Stoke’s tap is quite funny, never a red surely....however, the boy is an embarrassment for his antics afterwards.

The booking for Porteous seems harsh if you compare it to the blatant elbow from Laugherty in the derby.

green day
06-11-2017, 10:00 PM
According to Deadline News, no further action against stokes :thumbsup:

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/11/06/no-sfa-punishment-hibs-striker-anthony-stokes-punching-dundee-defender-jack-hendry-privates/?platform=hootsuite

Northern Hibby
06-11-2017, 10:07 PM
Thought his "ball play" was on another level on saturday 🤣

--------
07-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Stokes missed the "target" and was probably lucky to get away with a yellow card. He's an easy target for the opposition players to try and wind up because they know he'll react. Lennon should tell Hanlon that whenever these situations kick off the 1st thing he should do is get Stokes away from it.

Aye, Neil needs to make sure that Stokes keeps out of situations like that in the future. maybe he should take AS aside and give him a wee tutorial on how he himself learned to shun controversy and keep out of trouble ... :wink:

BTW - it was as well it was 'Dundee' Hendry Mk 2 he tried it on with.

I hate to think of what the Mk 1 version (i.e. Colin) would have done to him. :greengrin

southsider
07-11-2017, 02:22 PM
Aye, Neil needs to make sure that Stokes keeps out of situations like that in the future. maybe he should take AS aside and give him a wee tutorial on how he himself learned to shun controversy and keep out of trouble ... :wink:

BTW - it was as well it was 'Dundee' Hendry Mk 2 he tried it on with.

I hate to think of what the Mk 1 version (i.e. Colin) would have done to him. :greengrin
Ask him (stokes) for a loan ? Bankruptee and screwed his then best pal out of thousands.

--------
07-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Ask him (stokes) for a loan ? Bankruptee and screwed his then best pal out of thousands.

I was thinking about him when he was playing. A large and very violent man.

Actually, the way you describe him, I'm surprised he's not working for the Bodger at the Vomitorium.

The Pointer
07-11-2017, 02:51 PM
Could you both please refrain from assuming their genders. “They/them” until further notice.

Ye Gods! :bitchy:

--------
07-11-2017, 07:00 PM
Ye Gods! :bitchy:

For the record:

Another poster referred to the West Stand side assistant referee as 'linesman'.

All I did was point out that the proper designation is 'assistant referee' and that this particular assistant is a woman.

WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG? :rules:

Pedantic_Hibee
07-11-2017, 07:06 PM
For the record:

All I did was point out that the proper designation is 'assistant referee' and that this particular assistant is a woman.

Reported 😢

lapsedhibee
07-11-2017, 07:10 PM

Discriminatory of you to have even noticed.

SRHibs
07-11-2017, 07:17 PM
For the record:

To be fair I was just on the windup, but I don’t see what’s wrong with the terms linesman/lineswoman. You also state her gender is irrelevant then give her a patronising pat on the back in the form of “some men wouldn’t have laid low and stayed silent” in the following sentence. Bit contradictory.

MyJo
07-11-2017, 07:29 PM
This thread is going downhill rapidly

Hibeewilly
07-11-2017, 07:29 PM
On the football park Anthony Stokes = Pure Class. We are so lucky to have a player of his calibre:agree:

--------
07-11-2017, 07:58 PM
To be fair I was just on the windup, but I don’t see what’s wrong with the terms linesman/lineswoman. You also state her gender is irrelevant then give her a patronising pat on the back in the form of “some men wouldn’t have laid low and stayed silent” in the following sentence. Bit contradictory.

The proper designation is 'assistant referee' which has the advantages of being an accurate description of their function and being gender non-specific. It's also basic courtesy to refer to a person by his or her proper title.

I fail to see how I could be said to have patronised her - in fact you've got what I wrote diametrically the wrong way round. I've seen linesmen in the past and assistant referees more recently studiously avoiding getting involved in difficult situations, or being asked by the referee for guidance and shaking their heads and claiming they saw nothing. Giving someone due credit isn't patronising them.

What I actually said was this. I in no way contradicted myself.

"Assistant referee, please. Her gender is irrelevant.

I think she had a better view from where she was standing than Beaton had. And credit to her for taking the initiative and getting involved - some male assistants would have laid low and said nothing. Stokes might then have got the red he possibly deserved. But from the TV there's no really clear view of what actually happened, and Hendry's over-reaction (he was perfectly OK almost immediately, which in my experience isn't the case when you get hit where McCann claimed he was hit as hard as McCann claimed Stokes hit him - you don't get up too quickly after a solid punch in the goolies) casts suspicion on the official Dundee FC account of the event."

--------
07-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Reported 😢

Aye, right. Who to? :devil:

SRHibs
07-11-2017, 08:03 PM
The proper designation is 'assistant referee' which has the advantages of being an accurate description of their function and being gender non-specific. It's also basic courtesy to refer to a person by his or her proper title.

I fail to see how I could be said to have patronised her - in fact you've got what I wrote diametrically the wrong way round. I've seen linesmen in the past and assistant referees more recently studiously avoiding getting involved in difficult situations, or being asked by the referee for guidance and shaking their heads and claiming they saw nothing. Giving someone due credit isn't patronising them.

What I actually said was this. I in no way contradicted myself.

"Assistant referee, please. Her gender is irrelevant.

I think she had a better view from where she was standing than Beaton had. And credit to her for taking the initiative and getting involved - some male assistants would have laid low and said nothing. Stokes might then have got the red he possibly deserved. But from the TV there's no really clear view of what actually happened, and Hendry's over-reaction (he was perfectly OK almost immediately, which in my experience isn't the case when you get hit where McCann claimed he was hit as hard as McCann claimed Stokes hit him - you don't get up too quickly after a solid punch in the goolies) casts suspicion on the official Dundee FC account of the event."

It’s pretty simple from my perspective. You say her gender is irrelevant, then make a direct comparison to what some “male assistants would’ve done”. If gender is irrelevant, then that comparison is completely unnecessary. As you’ve already alluded to, it shouldn’t be male assistant or female assistant, but simply ‘assistant’.

I’m just being a pedant anyway, we agree in essence.

Ryan69
08-11-2017, 07:15 AM
Even if it wasn't 90 minutes that was one of Stokes best games for Hibs in either of his two most recent spells at the club. But I do wish he wouldn't get involved, he has been lucky a couple of times this season already and its only a matter of time before his luck runs out. My granddad was Irish and my mum said he couldn't see a fight without wanting to be in it ... sounds like Mr Stokes is from the same stock :greengrin

Scottish Cup final was the best individual performance ive seen in a long time.

Scouse Hibee
08-11-2017, 07:25 AM

Talk about contradicting yourself. Gender is irrelevant, than you say "some male assistants would have laid low" Classic OG!😁

blackpoolhibs
08-11-2017, 07:36 AM
I will continue to call them linesmen or lineswoman, just like i still call the away end the dunbar end.

Most people will know and understand what i'm saying.

Pedantic_Hibee
08-11-2017, 07:40 AM
Aye, right. Who to? :devil:

I haven't thought that far ahead yet but bear with me 😂

Roxyhibee
08-11-2017, 08:09 AM
The assistant on the East side was absolutely useless that's for sure.

Its funny though, after all the terrible linesmen I've witnesssed over the years, the worst ever was the one who watched Leigh's 35 yarder in the derby go nearly a full yard over the line and just stood there pretending to look for something in his top pocket as 16,000 Hibbies were screaming "goal".!!? He knew fine well he'd massively fkd up but chose to freeze it out.

What an absolute buffoon. Where is that clown now.?

GreenCastle
08-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Giving an offside in he wrong half
An obvious throw in to Hibs which came off the Dundee player - he gave to Dundee.

Just 2 basic errors..

Stokes goal was onside - watched it several times.

Also don’t feel he should have been sent off - only a tickle in a sensitive area.

Stokes and Murray can work but would mean 3-5-2

4-3-3 attacking has been getting us results though recently also.

The Pointer
08-11-2017, 01:34 PM
I will continue to call them linesmen or lineswoman, just like i still call the away end the dunbar end.

Have a 'like'. I don't know anyone who shouts, "That's rubbish Assistant Referee!", although I suppose "ya bstrd" is an easier, asexual and appropriate alternative.

Eyrie
08-11-2017, 08:29 PM

Have a 'like'. I don't know anyone who shouts, "That's rubbish Assistant Referee!", although I suppose "ya bstrd" is an easier, asexual and appropriate alternative.

Someone behind me on Saturday yelled "Linesman ... woman .... thing" early in the first half as he struggled to arrive at the right gender or gender neutral expression.

In the second half he updated the old John Rowbotham shout by enquiring if her ponytail had got in her eyes.