PDA

View Full Version : Porteous

Dashing Bob S
04-11-2017, 03:33 PM
Class. Plays like a 30 year old internationalist from a decent country.

Smartie
04-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Superb player.

Did very well today.

J-C
04-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Class. Plays like a 30 year old internationalist from a decent country.

Couldn't agree more, strolled it out there.

Heisenberg
04-11-2017, 04:15 PM
He’s a great prospect. The club must think a lot of him to give him a 5 year deal before he had even played for the first team.

neil7908
04-11-2017, 04:23 PM
I'm really excited by him. Only concern is the wealth of options we have at centre and right back. I just hope he's given a chance to flourish as he already looks top drawer. He'll make a mistakes along the way but seems to have all the attributes needed to make it

MagicSwirlingShip
04-11-2017, 04:25 PM
There were rumours of Celtic sniffing around before he signed his new deal.

Great to hear he played well when given his chance, couldn’t make the game today.

McGregor’s natural successor?

Carheenlea
04-11-2017, 04:26 PM
Very competent from Ryan today, and looks top drawer.

The Harp Awakes
The laddie has got it. You can just tell. Top prospect.

Diclonius
A mini Ambrose. Very assured and confident on the ball.

TelaStella
04-11-2017, 04:35 PM
Came on and did fantastic. Not sure why on earth he was booked though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CropleyWasGod
04-11-2017, 04:43 PM
He had a wee flick at the guy on the way past.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Baw187
04-11-2017, 04:51 PM
He’s a big laddie for his age. Top prospect.

Hibee Mac
04-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Came on and did fantastic. Not sure why on earth he was booked though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think he was booked for a very, very soft arm to the face of the Dundee player. One of the ref's many poor decisions.

Hibee Mac
04-11-2017, 05:13 PM
This guy looks a great prospect he's slotted in perfectly every time he's played for us, surely if he carries on like this he'll be a first team starter in the future.

green day
04-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Hes on a 5 year deal too :thumbsup:

vercol36
04-11-2017, 05:18 PM
Great to hear that he did well today. Would he be an able replacement for Ambrose, should Lennon's fears come true and Ambrose leave in the not too distant future?

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-11-2017, 05:19 PM
He's class

gazzag70
04-11-2017, 05:26 PM
This lad just has promise in abundance.He could go to the top,he is an exciting prospect.

snooky
04-11-2017, 05:34 PM
According to BBC website report John Beaton produced yellow cards for Stokes and Dundee's Ryan Porteous.????
Why bother reading any of their report. Really.

Sas_The_Hibby
04-11-2017, 05:36 PM

Not all good news, then..... :greengrin

Ilovehibs
04-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Love his confidence as well as his ability. Got a real presence about him especially for such a young lad. And he's a Hibbie 👊💚

Still Smiling
04-11-2017, 06:27 PM
I watched Ryan pre season and he was outstanding. Deserves to be in the first team pool.

Sir David Gray
04-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Strolled through the second half. Very commanding and assured performance.

wookie70
04-11-2017, 06:38 PM
He is also a goal threat which comes in very handy. I'm sure Paul Hanlon scored an important one a wee while back and did David Gray not chip in too. The set up with three centre halves looked really good today and Porteous looked like he has been playing first team football for a good while.

Eyrie
04-11-2017, 07:36 PM

Not so sure about that first bit - Porteous was smarter in clearing his lines, even if it meant a hoof up the park.

On the second, both Porteous and Hanlon got forward to good effect in the second half.

J-C
04-11-2017, 08:46 PM

God I hope not, not after todays performance, Efe had a few shall we call them moments, some misplaced paces, dawdling on the ball in the box and I don't think he won a header all game against their big striker.

Porteous oozed confidence, pointing, shouting and organising the defence like he was 10 years older than his actual age, if he's given the right exposure and coaching he'll go far.

pacoluna
04-11-2017, 08:58 PM
God I hope not, not after todays performance, Efe had a few shall we call them moments, some misplaced paces, dawdling on the ball in the box and I don't think he won a header all game against their big striker.

Porteous oozed confidence, pointing, shouting and organising the defence like he was 10 years older than his actual age, if he's given the right exposure and coaching he'll go far.

You hope Porteous doesn't turn out to be a multi capped internationalist with several league and cup medals and multiple champions league appearances ?

J-C
04-11-2017, 09:08 PM
You hope Porteous doesn't turn out to be a multi capped internationalist with several league and cup medals and multiple champions league appearances ?

My opinion is Efe is a decent player but has really bad lapses in concentration which can and does cause problems in the defence, was outjumped at every crossed ball into the box today.

Funny you chose to pick my post to reply but omitted Sas_The_Hibby and Eyrie posts on the subject. :confused:

pacoluna
04-11-2017, 09:30 PM
My opinion is Efe is a decent player but has really bad lapses in concentration which can and does cause problems in the defence, was outjumped at every crossed ball into the box today.

Funny you chose to pick my post to reply but omitted Sas_The_Hibby and Eyrie posts on the subject. :confused:
Both of their posts are also baffling.

Calidad
04-11-2017, 10:05 PM
I really like him. But then I liked Forster too. Hopefully he develops and fulfills his potential.

ekhibee
04-11-2017, 10:07 PM
https://youtu.be/mtZLrKaPJhU

Such a mature player in terms of ability, and he really communicates well, this interview just goes to prove that. IMO he'll go right to the top of the game. Great to have a young player like that, a really positive influence and incentive for other young players too.

Eyrie
04-11-2017, 10:07 PM

Ambrose trying to beat his man may entertain you, but it concerns me. He only got away with it today because Bartley read the danger and covered for him.

Porteous didn't do anything daft like that. He went forward with the ball when he had space, and passed or cleared it when he didn't.

Sas_The_Hibby
04-11-2017, 10:14 PM

Yes, we should all be in the dock together for daring to suggest, even in a tongue-in-cheek way, that Ambrose isn't a faultless player :greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Sas_The_Hibby
04-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Ambrose trying to beat his man may entertain you, but it concerns me. He only got away with it today because Bartley read the danger and covered for him.

Porteous didn't do anything daft like that. He went forward with the ball when he had space, and passed or cleared it when he didn't.

Careful Eyrie - you'll be pilloried for treachery :wink:

BSEJVT
04-11-2017, 10:18 PM
I really like him. But then I liked Forster too. Hopefully he develops and fulfills his potential.

I liked Forster too, but Porteous is a definite upgrade

Really comfortable on the ball and a very good passer

For such a young boy has great body strength and knows how to use it.

It speaks volumes for the level of depth we currently have in that position that we haven't missed McGregor, who has arguably been our most consistent player since he signed, or Fontaine who is also a very good player

Eyrie
04-11-2017, 10:19 PM

I am guilty, have twenty seven other offences to be taken into consideration and will be entering a special defence plea of sanity.

Sas_The_Hibby
04-11-2017, 10:20 PM
I am guilty, have twenty seven other offences to be taken into consideration and will be entering a special defence plea of sanity.

I'm turning Queen's evidence and claiming you made me do it! :greengrin

Eyrie
04-11-2017, 10:21 PM
I'm turning Queen's evidence and claiming you made me do it! :greengrin

I could do that as well, but we'd have to agree to incriminate J-C :thumbsup:

Nicho87
04-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Outstanding

Vault Boy
04-11-2017, 10:58 PM
There were rumours of Celtic sniffing around before he signed his new deal.

Great to hear he played well when given his chance, couldn’t make the game today.

McGregor’s natural successor?

I don't there was a team in Scotland's top flight that wasn't interested in him!

Vault Boy
04-11-2017, 10:59 PM
He'll captain Scotland during the next decade IMO.

pacoluna
04-11-2017, 11:02 PM

His style of defending gives us a different dimension to our play. Sometimes he may make the odd mistake but it's worth it. Straight from the horses mouth - lennon who expects a couple of big teams to be looking at him.

pacoluna
04-11-2017, 11:04 PM

I think you should maybe look at any thread that discusses Stevenson.

monktonharp
04-11-2017, 11:27 PM
The laddie has got it. You can just tell. Top prospect.:agree:really exited at the prospect of him forcing his way into the team. he was so strong and assured form the off, when he got onto the pitch. had a fantastic game.

Hi Heid Yin
05-11-2017, 02:01 AM
Can't recall any other 19 year old coming across as self-assured and so confident during media interviews.
A sound future looks in store if he can maintain his level of progress.
He has plenty years in front of him to mature even further and this is the exciting bit.

Big90inOz
05-11-2017, 05:57 AM
He needs to be introduced into the first team more, looks an outstanding prospect.

J-C
05-11-2017, 06:54 AM

Opinions eh?

Libby Hibby
05-11-2017, 07:00 AM
Perhaps Porteous will get more game time if bids for Ambrose, as Lennon is expecting and has alluded too, come in and he goes.

Ambrose was close to going down South prior to signing a two year with us but it stalled due to WP issues.

He’ll be a big miss if he goes but excited at the prospect of seeing Ryan develop.

Brightside
05-11-2017, 07:07 AM

I hope he learns from the good and bad of Efe. We may get another Hanlon on th back of it.

J-C
05-11-2017, 07:08 AM
Perhaps Porteous will get more game time if bids for Ambrose, as Lennon is expecting and has alluded too, come in and he goes.

Ambrose was close to going down South prior to signing a two year with us but it stalled due to WP issues.

He’ll be a big miss if he goes but excited at the prospect of seeing Ryan develop.

I did mention on another thread that I thought Ambrose was signed to allow him to get his residency visa, Lennon helping out a mate and we get his talent for a short period. There was talk initially of it only being a short deal 6 months - 1 year but 2 year deal was signed maybe so we get some money for him in January when his 5 years in the country is up, sort of scratching each others backs to keep everyone happy.

Libby Hibby
05-11-2017, 07:09 AM
I did mention on another thread that I thought Ambrose was signed to allow him to get his residency visa, Lennon helping out a mate and we get his talent for a short period. There was talk initially of it only being a short deal 6 months - 1 year but 2 year deal was signed maybe so we get some money for him in January when his 5 years in the country is up, sort of scratching each others backs to keep everyone happy.

Completely agree, we should enjoy the big man whilst he is here.

TheGreenMan
05-11-2017, 07:23 AM
Can't recall any other 19 year old coming across as self-assured and so confident during media interviews.
A sound future looks in store if he can maintain his level of progress.
He has plenty years in front of him to mature even further and this is the exciting bit.

If he didn't mention opening up a tin of beans with his right peg then he's still got a level of confidence to go up 😂

Baldy Foghorn
05-11-2017, 08:02 AM
Class act, hard as nails on pitch, great to see guys profressing through the levels:flag:

Gmack7
05-11-2017, 08:12 AM

Celtic are desperate for central defenders maybe we'll sell to them with hendo thrown in 😁😁

Big L
05-11-2017, 08:44 AM

I agree with most of your comments on Efe, however, I don't think many defenders would have coped with the Dundee striker in the air, he was a huge unit and he knew how to use it.

greenlex
05-11-2017, 08:53 AM
I agree with most of your comments on Efe, however, I don't think many defenders would have coped with the Dundee striker in the air, he was a huge unit and he knew how to use it.

We could do a lot worse than try and get him at ER.