PDA

View Full Version : Joe Baker ( again )

brog
02-11-2017, 07:55 AM
http://hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/joe-baker-and-an-incredible-seventeen-days

Fine article from HHT though unfortunately Tommy confuses Joe with Hibs. Mind you that was an easy mistake to make that season!

Bostonhibby
02-11-2017, 09:06 AM
http://hibshistoricaltrust.org.uk/player-profiles/joe-baker-and-an-incredible-seventeen-days

Fine article from HHT though unfortunately Tommy confuses Joe with Hibs. Mind you that was an easy mistake to make that season![emoji106]enjoyable read. Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

ancient hibee
02-11-2017, 10:11 AM
Good article which captures the excitement of watching Joe.What made him so special was that up till then we had been watching “grown men” and suddenly here was someone from our age group.The season with Bobby Johnstone was outstanding for attacking play and goal scoring.Up until then Joe spent a lot of time chasing lost causes.Now the ball was arriving gift wrapped and he was the boy to take advantage.
The friendly mentioned was against Bolton not Preston and was also notable for a rare goal from Joe McClelland who was better at kicking opposing wingers than the ball
In the Airdrie game Baker got booked for clattering Doug Baillie who then spent the rest of the game with a decided limp.Joe could look after himself.

SideBurns
02-11-2017, 10:33 AM
I don't think it is Tom who makes the mistake - the error is by the editor in the introductory sentence, who must have misinterpreted the narrative. The same article appeared in the Aberdeen programme, and the confusion between Joe and Hibs appeared in both the contents page and the opening line!! An amazing enough feat from the team, never mind one player (no matter how good he was)!

brog
02-11-2017, 04:57 PM
I don't think it is Tom who makes the mistake - the error is by the editor in the introductory sentence, who must have misinterpreted the narrative. The same article appeared in the Aberdeen programme, and the confusion between Joe and Hibs appeared in both the contents page and the opening line!! An amazing enough feat from the team, never mind one player (no matter how good he was)!

I'm sure you're right but unfortunately I know, from personal experience, that if you put your name on an article then you assume responsibility for the content. I say that as a (very) old friend of Tom who i greatly admire. Anyway, enough of typos, imagine scoring 32 goals in 17 days, just astonishing as was the quite incredible Joe. It's really only now that i appreciate how fortunate i was to watch Joe as a young man & to routinely expect him to score 4 at Tiny or 3 against Celtc. Joe was the role model & hero to King Pat & Jim O. Says it all.