PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs turns down Dundee United

3pm
01-11-2017, 07:13 AM
...according to SKY Sports.

SirDavidsNapper
01-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Surprised at that. What is he expecting to be offered?

Cameron1875
01-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Too right. They will struggle big time to get promoted and another failed league campaign is not what he'd want on his CV.

He'll get a Scottish Prem job imo but depends if he wants to go to a Hamilton, Partick etc.

ian cruise
01-11-2017, 07:18 AM
And their dream of being Hibs suffers a bitter blow.

Stubbs would have fitted right in with Keatings, Fyvie and Stanton. I was expecting the green and white away kit next.

Thecat23
01-11-2017, 07:19 AM
Surprised at that. What is he expecting to be offered?

The Dons job when Mcinnes leaves for The Rangers? To be fair Utd are piss poor and skint, I would turn it down as well.

IGRIGI
01-11-2017, 07:19 AM
I imagine he's holding out for the Dons job.

Heisenberg
01-11-2017, 07:20 AM
Think he might get a bit of a shock if he’s expecting the Aberdeen job. Don’t think there’s any chance they’d go for him in the event of McInnes leaving.

pacoluna
01-11-2017, 07:22 AM
I imagine he's holding out for the Dons job.

Doubt he would get that.

ian cruise
01-11-2017, 07:22 AM
Too right. They will struggle big time to get promoted and another failed league campaign is not what he'd want on his CV.

He'll get a Scottish Prem job imo but depends if he wants to go to a Hamilton, Partick etc.

I actually think Partick would be a good fit for him. Expectations are lower and if he gets them playing attractive football they'll get bigger crowds as there is a section of people from Glasgow who would like an alternative to going to see the old firm, plus he'll possibly get Celtic fans who can't make it to Celtic park or don't want to take their kids to Celtic park. I doubt Partick would care why they were there as long as they behaved and got behind the team.

Nicho87
01-11-2017, 07:54 AM
Holding out for the hibs job

Hibernia&Alba
01-11-2017, 07:57 AM
A bit surprised, aye. United are still one of the biggest clubs in Scotland, despite their current troubles. Time will tell if a better offer comes along.

Scottie
01-11-2017, 08:05 AM
Wonder if he regrets leaving us the way and time he did. Different stories have been spun but has he commented officially about his departure ? :dunno:

Jim44
01-11-2017, 08:08 AM
Wonder if he regrets leaving us the way and time he did. Different stories have been spun but has he commented officially about his departure ? :dunno:

Yes. In an interview, he literally admitted he had made a bad decision. I can’t remember when or where the interview took place.

Scottie
01-11-2017, 08:10 AM
Yes. In an interview, he literally admitted he had made a bad decision. I can’t remember when or where the interview took place.
Thanks Jim can't remember seeing it tbh.

Michael
01-11-2017, 08:15 AM
I doubt he'll get it, bit he'd be a good fit for Aberdeen.

calumhibee1
01-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Aye he’s said it a few times now. Like you though I can’t remember where.

Scorrie
01-11-2017, 08:17 AM
Probably the St Johnston job would suit Stubbs if Tommy Wright replaces McInnes at the Dons...lots of ifs and buts there though

CallumLaidlaw
01-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Aye he’s said it a few times now. Like you though I can’t remember where.

http://www.scotzine.com/2017/10/quitting-hibs-was-a-big-mistake-admits-stubbs/

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/625196/alan-stubbs-opens-up-on-his-regrets-after-leaving-good-people-at-hibs-for-rotherham-rollercoaster/

Hibbyradge
01-11-2017, 08:41 AM
You just don't know what to believe ...

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/alan-stubbs-i-don-t-regret-leaving-hibs-despite-rotherham-axe-1-4281703

CallumLaidlaw
01-11-2017, 08:53 AM
You just don't know what to believe ...

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/alan-stubbs-i-don-t-regret-leaving-hibs-despite-rotherham-axe-1-4281703

I imagine 3 weeks after being sacked, he was still being quite bullish about things. 6 months or a year later he's had more reflection time.

G B Young
01-11-2017, 09:40 AM
I imagine 3 weeks after being sacked, he was still being quite bullish about things. 6 months or a year later he's had more reflection time.

Yes he would have still have been pretty raw at the time of that Evening News interview.

FWIW I thought Rotherham seemed a fairly sensible move for him at that stage of his career, offering the chance to build a solid reputation in England and hopefully a stepping stone to, say, a return to Everton. It's only with hindsight that it proved to be a terrible decision.

I can see why he would turn down United. I suspect they're on the brink of part-time football (or even teetering close to administration) if they don't get up this season. Too much pressure to be parachuted into that sort of situation and no time or money to put in the building blocks for success he was able to do at Hibs.

Sas_The_Hibby
01-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Always a legend here, anyway

Walter
01-11-2017, 11:00 AM
I thought the reason he left had something to do with spending a bit too much time over the treatment table

Swedish hibee
01-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Whatever he does, he'll be alright in life. The man has beaten cancer twice & brought us the holy grail.. the thing I thought I'd never see! Legend💚

Northernhibee
01-11-2017, 11:39 AM
Whatever he does, he'll be alright in life. The man has beaten cancer twice & brought us the holy grail.. the thing I thought I'd never see! Legend💚

Love the man. Sheer class act.

Velma Dinkley
01-11-2017, 11:44 AM
I think he would prefer to work at a club nearer where he lives with his family.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
01-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Wonder if he’d come back here if Lennon was to leave in the future?

Andy74
01-11-2017, 12:01 PM

No thanks.

Heisenberg
01-11-2017, 12:06 PM

I’ve no doubt he’d be the favourite and would apply provided he isn’t elsewhere. Not sure I’d want him to return though.

Nakedmanoncrack
01-11-2017, 12:07 PM
I thought the reason he left had something to do with spending a bit too much time over the treatment table

:hmmm:

sixtwo
01-11-2017, 12:08 PM
No thanks.

:confused:

The man delivered our best footballing day EVER as Hibs fans. He can come back anytime as far as I'm concerned. We should build a statue of him!!

As for the DUFC job, I was told on Saturday that one director wants Csaba Lazlo - That could be interesting

Keith_M
01-11-2017, 12:09 PM
The Dons job when Mcinnes leaves for The Rangers? To be fair Utd are piss poor and skint, I would turn it down as well.

I wouldn't.

I'd make sure they gave me a five year contract and, when they sack me after the first week when they realise I know nothing about football, I'd happily take a pay-off equivalent to only three years salary.

:greengrin

Andy74
01-11-2017, 12:13 PM
:confused:

The man delivered our best footballing day EVER as Hibs fans. He can come back anytime as far as I'm concerned. We should build a statue of him!!

As for the DUFC job, I was told on Saturday that one director wants Csaba Lazlo - That could be interesting

The cup win gives him legend status but not a job for life, just like the players involved.

League wise he did okay but we were not consistent enough. I think we’ve moved on the mentality and quality even more now and I wouldn’t really want to see him as manager again.

jeffers
01-11-2017, 12:16 PM

Thecat23
01-11-2017, 12:29 PM
I wouldn't.

I'd make sure they gave me a five year contract and, when they sack me after the first week when they realise I know nothing about football, I'd happily take a pay-off equivalent to only three years salary.

Good thinking, can I be your number 2 then 😁

CallumLaidlaw
01-11-2017, 12:30 PM

I'm sure you've been called worse on here :greengrin:na na:

JimBHibees
01-11-2017, 12:44 PM

Firestarter
01-11-2017, 12:46 PM
No thanks.

You're joking right?

Firestarter
01-11-2017, 12:48 PM
The cup win gives him legend status but not a job for life, just like the players involved.

League wise he did okay but we were not consistent enough. I think we’ve moved on the mentality and quality even more now and I wouldn’t really want to see him as manager again.

We haven't been that consistent since he left either. Stubbs had it much harder to get out the league. I've no doubt he would be a great manager for us again, he completely turned the club around.

Thecat23
01-11-2017, 12:49 PM

Haha knew that was coming 😂

Andy74
01-11-2017, 12:52 PM
We haven't been that consistent since he left either. Stubbs had it much harder to get out the league. I've no doubt he would be a great manager for us again, he completely turned the club around.

It possibly was difficult but he left us below Falkirk.

Others have also been responsible for turning the club around.

He did a good job but coming back? No, not for me.

scoopyboy
01-11-2017, 12:54 PM

Agree Andy.

As you say the manager and players have quite rightly achieved legendary status.

There will come a time when all concerned will either be sold or leave when their contract expires.

Fyvie has left so should he be welcomed back with open arms if he turns out to be poor at Dundee Utd and isn't offered a new deal there?

The same will apply to the likes of Paul Hanlon, Lewis Stevenson and David Gray. Legends and still performing well having signed new contracts since 21/05/2016 but they will need to be replaced at some point.

21st May 2016 was the best day of my football supporting life but we can't let it stand in the way of progress.

pacoluna
01-11-2017, 12:55 PM

I agree

Lago
01-11-2017, 01:00 PM
No. He did well when he was here, but not well enough, with Lennon Hibs are starting to move to a higher level & we are fortunate to have him.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-11-2017, 01:08 PM
A bit surprised, aye. United are still one of the biggest clubs in Scotland, despite their current troubles. Time will tell if a better offer comes along.

Have they ever been a big club? Good team in the 80s but, big club? nah.

DH1875
01-11-2017, 01:12 PM

Me either.

Was one of his main reasons for leaving us because he wanted to move back south and be closer to his family? Or have I just made that up :confused: My geography might be off but I'm pretty sure Dundee and especially Aberdeen aren't closer to Merseyside than Edinburgh.

JimboHibs
01-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Good luck to him whatever he chooses to do in the future,I'll never say a bad word about the man always talks about us in very high regard you only need to see his reaction last week after the derby giving it the fist pump,he's one of us !!

IGRIGI
01-11-2017, 03:28 PM
For me he was nearing the sack until the cup win, he failed in terms of getting us up and finishing behind Falkirk was unacceptable.

Hibernia&Alba
01-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Have they ever been a big club? Good team in the 80s but, big club? nah.

In the Scottish context, they are one of the bigger clubs in the country.

Beefster
01-11-2017, 04:49 PM
For me he was nearing the sack until the cup win, he failed in terms of getting us up and finishing behind Falkirk was unacceptable.

Yup. Before the cup final, there were numerous debates on here about binning Stubbs and it appeared that a sizeable portion of the support were of the opinion he should be.

As much as I like Stubbs, I find all this hankering after him a bit disrespectful to Lennon and the job he is doing.

Judge-Judy
01-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Love the man. Sheer class act.

Can't think of a single reason why any Hibby wouldn't love him tbf. I cried like a baby when we won the cup and equally so when he left. :aok:

Keith_M
01-11-2017, 05:14 PM

OK, but you're on a lower salary than me.

:wink:

Back to Stubbs: I thought the reason he left was because of what he had in the Kitty...

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-11-2017, 05:23 PM

They would be in the top half of Scottish clubs so, I suppose you're right.

Smartie
01-11-2017, 05:24 PM
No. He did well when he was here, but not well enough, with Lennon Hibs are starting to move to a higher level & we are fortunate to have him.

Where would you have expected us to be after 2 years in the same Championship as Rangers and Hearts as our team trooped off the pitch having lost on penalties to Hamilton Accies in the playoffs, if what Stubbs did wasn't enough?

No, we didn't go up. We probably didn't quite push Rangers or Hearts close enough. The playoffs were a lottery that were stacked against us.

But he improved the squad immeasurably from the car crash he inherited, he had us play some great stuff at times over the 2 years. He put in place the building blocks that were the base for promotion under Lennon and tbh put in place the core of the team that are now performing well in the Premier League.

That's without even acknowledging the cup win.

It's a fairly unique position to be in in current football that we can simultaneously be 100% behind, perfectly happy with and entirely grateful to our current manager whilst still having good feelings for his immediate predecessor. Everyone else in world football (and no doubt us again soon enough) seems to be howling for their manager to be sacked.

Thecat23
01-11-2017, 05:28 PM
Where would you have expected us to be after 2 years in the same Championship as Rangers and Hearts as our team trooped off the pitch having lost on penalties to Hamilton Accies in the playoffs, if what Stubbs did wasn't enough?

No, we didn't go up. We probably didn't quite push Rangers or Hearts close enough. The playoffs were a lottery that were stacked against us.

But he improved the squad immeasurably from the car crash he inherited, he had us play some great stuff at times over the 2 years. He put in place the building blocks that were the base for promotion under Lennon and tbh put in place the core of the team that are now performing well in the Premier League.

It's a fairly unique position to be in in current football that we can simultaneously be 100% behind, perfectly happy with and entirely grateful to our current manager whilst still having good feelings for his immediate predecessor. Everyone else in world football (and no doubt us again soon enough) seems to be howling for their manager to be sacked.

This 👍🏼

The Modfather
01-11-2017, 06:02 PM

I’ve a lot of time for Stubbs and there was lots to like about his Hibs teams ,and some obvious failings too.

I was happy to see him end it with breaking the hoodoo as he was fantastic in the cups. However I didn’t have much confidence he knew what it took to get out of the championship. He never finished in the top 2, nor made a playoff final. Not sure i’d Want him back but wish him all the best.

Mcpakeisgod
01-11-2017, 06:04 PM
OK, but you're on a lower salary than me.

:wink:

Back to Stubbs: I thought the reason he left was because of what he had in the Kitty...

😂😂😂😏

green.oracle
01-11-2017, 06:09 PM
I’ve a lot of time for Stubbs and there was lots to like about his Hibs teams ,and some obvious failings too.

I was happy to see him end it with breaking the hoodoo as he was fantastic in the cups. However I didn’t have much confidence he knew what it took to get out of the championship. He never finished in the top 2, nor made a playoff final. Not sure i’d Want him back but wish him all the best.

Hibs finished 2nd 2014/15.

MyJo
01-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Hope he gets himself another gig soon that suits him :agree:

A gentleman and Hibs legend who clearly still has an affinity for us given the way he was celebrating us winning the derby. Will always be welcome back to easter road and will get a warm welcome no matter who he is with as long as it isn't Hearts or Rangers (which lets face it is never going to happen).

The Modfather
01-11-2017, 06:13 PM

Aye, but apart from that...

D’oh! You are of course correct, clearly i’ve erased the championship years from memory or drank away the memories 😀

Smartie
01-11-2017, 06:15 PM

His time at the club wasn't perfect and I accept that he had his failings, but I'm not sure they'd be as obvious where we are now.

He struggled to get us ruthless enough against wee teams camped on the edge of their own box but we face different problems in the Premier League, and he was always good against Premier League opposition. I also thought he was too loyal to the same group of players, even when they were knackered - Lennon seems to be better at rotating the squad. This International break seems to be coming at a good time though, as some players are starting to look understandably tired.

More than anything Stubbs had an eye for a player, and seemed to be able to attract them to come and play for us. I still can't believe he managed to make the signings he did for us, he put many who went before him to shame. Several of Lennon's signings have picked up over the past 6 games or so, but even until these games I'd have said that the jury was out on Lennon's record in the transfer market.

Lago
01-11-2017, 06:17 PM

As I say he did well, but frankly had he still been with us the following seaon I would not have been confident of promotion. I had no doubts at all when NL came in. But hey Stubbs was a good manager but he left at the right time, in my opinion.

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2017, 06:19 PM
Some folk are going on as if Sevco and Herts were some sort of world beaters, and finishing above or beating them was some sort of achievement?

We couldn't beat Falkirk and sevco in the play offs, and finished third in his 2nd season. Any time we finish 3rd in the championship will always be classed as a huge failure in my book, irrespective of how we are doing in the cups.

Stubbs is a legend for the Scottish cup win, but i don't want him back if Lennon were to leave.

Lago
01-11-2017, 06:20 PM
Some folk are going on as if Sevco and Herts were some sort of world beaters, and finishing above or beating them was some sort of achievement?

We couldn't beat Falkirk and sevco in the play offs, and finished third in his 2nd season. Any time we finish 3rd in the championship will always be classed as a huge failure in my book, irrespective of how we are doing in the cups.

Stubbs is a legend for the Scottish cup win, but i don't want him back if Lennon were to leave.
Agree

Pretty Boy
01-11-2017, 06:22 PM

In Scottish football I always think there is only 2 big clubs, like it or not, then a group of ourselves, Hearts and Aberdeen below that.

I'd class Dundee Utd a bit below that and historically prior to their 80s heyday I'd say Dundee were the bigger club in that city, potentially they still might be. Both have the same number of major honours, both sit considerably below Hibs in the honours list who are lowest, for now, of the 3 clubs I listed above.

I wouldn't really class either Dundee side as a big club, in a Scottish context or otherwise.

Smartie
01-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Hearts were clinical and did well the season they were in the Championship. They took a bit of beating, unfortunately too big an ask for us given where we were at the end of the previous season. We did fine relative to a "pretty pish but still a sizeable budget" Sevco in the league that season.

Sevco did enough to make them a pretty solid team to beat that second season (without exactly being unbeatable).

We did fine for the first half of that season, but lost our way in the league during the second half.

So imo Stubbs was excellent in the league for 3/4 of his time with us.

He should have done better during his fourth quarter. But he was securing a Holy Grail instead at that time, so I'm more than happy to let him off.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat if Lennon were to leave.

Ozyhibby
01-11-2017, 06:33 PM
No matter the size of Dundee Utd, it’s a bad job and Stubbs is right to turn it down. He made the mistake of not doing his homework before going to Rotherham. Looks like he is a quick learner.
McInnis showed the same kind of smarts when he turned down Sunderland. Hopefully he is blinded by his support for Rangers and ignores the fact that that is a bad job as well.
Some clubs are best avoided if the correct structure is not in place with a capable board. Hibs before Leeann came in would have been a job that managers should have avoided, which is probably why we ended up with the duds we did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
01-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Hearts were clinical and did well the season they were in the Championship. They took a bit of beating, unfortunately too big an ask for us given where we were at the end of the previous season. We did fine relative to a "pretty pish but still a sizeable budget" Sevco in the league that season.

Sevco did enough to make them a pretty solid team to beat that second season (without exactly being unbeatable).

We did fine for the first half of that season, but lost our way in the league during the second half.

So imo Stubbs was excellent in the league for 3/4 of his time with us.

He should have done better during his fourth quarter. But he was securing a Holy Grail instead at that time, so I'm more than happy to let him off.

I'd have him back in a heartbeat if Lennon were to leave.

Just sounds like another long list of excuses to me, budgets never stopped us beating herts or sevco more than we normally did.

The likes of Alloa and Dumbarton were the teams we dropped points against, how was their budget compared to ours?

brog
01-11-2017, 07:01 PM
The usual anti Stubbs suspects in full flow I see.😂 In my 60 years of watching Hibs I have never seen us in a worse place than we were when Stubbs took over. A team & club in total disarray, summed up by the fact we didn't even have a keeper on our books. To go from losing 4 of our 1st 6 league games with a an almost new team to finishing 2nd in the league, ahead of Sevco, was an unbelievable turnaround. The cup win the next season is of course our greatest ever moment but it also served as the springboard for our current success. Without Stubbs we would not be where we are now. I'm very happy with NL but I would be delighted to see AS back at our club sometime in the future.

Smartie
01-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Just sounds like another long list of excuses to me, budgets never stopped us beating herts or sevco more than we normally did.

The likes of Alloa and Dumbarton were the teams we dropped points against, how was their budget compared to ours?

My budget comment was in relation to the fact that although Sevco were pish during the first season we had in the Championship, Stubbs still deserves a bit of credit for finishing above them that year as they were still spending pretty big relative to us.

I don't really have any excuses for how we did against Alloa and Dumbarton, I accept that those were the games we should have done better in. But I do think that Stubbs did fine against these teams for much of his time with us, considering what he inherited. The second half of the last season he had with us wasn't good enough - but that was offset by the cup win.

If he were to come back he wouldn't be playing against Alloa and Dumbarton - he'd be playing against the type of side he had an excellent record against in the cups.

GreenNWhiteArmy
01-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Hibs was Alan Stubbs' first full time management role Eh? Naturally, as you're learning you make mistakes. Also, in his first year in charge he inherited 8 first team players and one helluva mess. Hearts had the advantage of playing many games together the previous season.

2nd season, imo the 4 games that cost us promotion were inbetween the games that eventually won us the Scottish cup. Hearts replay, Inverness twice and Ross County final.

The comebacks, the resilience then the last minute heartache in a league cup final we bossed gave us that final push on 21/05/16. Had we won the league cup and/or Best falkirk in the play offs, we'd never have won the cup.

All of the above is theoretical of course but so is the "Stubbs was 10 mins from the sack" line that comes along.

Also in the 2nd season we played over 60 games. Must have been fairly draining.

If/when NL leaves, I'd be comfortable with LeeAnn and George approaching AS for a chat if he's out of a job - I'd want the best man for the job and if they felt it was Stubbsy then I'd welcome him home with open arms

guthrie01
01-11-2017, 07:52 PM
Hibs was Alan Stubbs' first full time management role Eh? Naturally, as you're learning you make mistakes. Also, in his first year in charge he inherited 8 first team players and one helluva mess. Hearts had the advantage of playing many games together the previous season.

2nd season, imo the 4 games that cost us promotion were inbetween the games that eventually won us the Scottish cup. Hearts replay, Inverness twice and Ross County final.

The comebacks, the resilience then the last minute heartache in a league cup final we bossed gave us that final push on 21/05/16. Had we won the league cup and/or Best falkirk in the play offs, we'd never have won the cup.

All of the above is theoretical of course but so is the "Stubbs was 10 mins from the sack" line that comes along.

Also in the 2nd season we played over 60 games. Must have been fairly draining.

If/when NL leaves, I'd be comfortable with LeeAnn and George approaching AS for a chat if he's out of a job - I'd want the best man for the job and if they felt it was Stubbsy then I'd welcome him home with open arms

Good post, agree with all of it :agree:

Pretty Boy
01-11-2017, 08:08 PM
Aside from the obvious I'd judge Stubbs on what he inherited and what he left.

He inherited a total basket case. A shambles of a squad down to the bare bones with a complete lack of spirit and harmony. He left a decent base, a gleaming trophy in the cabinet and Neil Lennon inherited a situation light years ahead of what Stubbs did. That's not a slight on NL or the job he has done.

The changes at Hibs post relegation went far deeper than Alan Stubbs but it needed the right man in the dug out to get and keep things moving in the right direction. Stubbs was pArt of us recruiting well, Stubbs was part of the reason our style of play changed almost overnight, Stubbs rebuilt the team spirit and Stubbs was a huge part of the fans rallying back behind the club. Stubbs instilled a bit of resilllience, not least in the derbies and cup games and he helped put a platform in place for this club to thrive for years to come.

My gratitude to the man extends far beyond one game in May 2016. He was instrumental in getting Hibs back on our feet after one of the darkest periods in our history. If there is a vacancy at Hibs any time in the future I'd give the man time to put forward his case.

givescotlandfreedom
01-11-2017, 08:18 PM

This for me. Stubbs will always be a legend but if we'd lost the final there's a real chance he'd have been forced out.

ekhibee
01-11-2017, 08:24 PM
That's what I thought as well.

heretoday
01-11-2017, 08:31 PM
The usual anti Stubbs suspects in full flow I see.😂 In my 60 years of watching Hibs I have never seen us in a worse place than we were when Stubbs took over. A team & club in total disarray, summed up by the fact we didn't even have a keeper on our books. To go from losing 4 of our 1st 6 league games with a an almost new team to finishing 2nd in the league, ahead of Sevco, was an unbelievable turnaround. The cup win the next season is of course our greatest ever moment but it also served as the springboard for our current success. Without Stubbs we would not be where we are now. I'm very happy with NL but I would be delighted to see AS back at our club sometime in the future.

Hear hear! He put together a pretty good bunch of players, many of whom are now at the top of their game.

Hi Heid Yin
01-11-2017, 08:35 PM

:agree::agree:

Lago
01-11-2017, 08:35 PM
This for me. Stubbs will always be a legend but if we'd lost the final there's a real chance he'd have been forced out.
Actually he had been told he would be leaving at the end of that season.

bigwheel
01-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Actually he had been told he would be leaving at the end of that season.

That is not true. His job was safe

Deansy
01-11-2017, 08:38 PM

Thoroughly agree - Lennon's Hibs are a completely different animal and would never have finished behind Falkirk !.

That apart, I will always be forever thankful to Alan Stubbs for what he gave us - some beautiful, exquisite football, humiliating the Hun often - and all mixed-in with winning the Scottish Cup !

pacoluna
01-11-2017, 08:46 PM

Behind hearts who are a laughing stock.

Northernhibee
01-11-2017, 08:49 PM

Couldn't have put it better myself. The man is a club icon.

Thecat23
01-11-2017, 08:50 PM

Behave, they weren’t a laughing stock then. We didn’t have a team so let’s not pretend Hearts weren’t well ahead of us when Stubbs took over.

bigwheel
01-11-2017, 08:52 PM

Hearts romped that league to a record points total. Was an impressive campaign overall by them..

pacoluna
01-11-2017, 08:53 PM

So about 50% of this board then being tagged as anti Stubbs :faf:

bigwheel
01-11-2017, 08:53 PM
The usual anti Stubbs suspects in full flow I see.[emoji23] In my 60 years of watching Hibs I have never seen us in a worse place than we were when Stubbs took over. A team & club in total disarray, summed up by the fact we didn't even have a keeper on our books. To go from losing 4 of our 1st 6 league games with a an almost new team to finishing 2nd in the league, ahead of Sevco, was an unbelievable turnaround. The cup win the next season is of course our greatest ever moment but it also served as the springboard for our current success. Without Stubbs we would not be where we are now. I'm very happy with NL but I would be delighted to see AS back at our club sometime in the future.

Some sense at last. Agree with all of this .....

weecounty hibby
01-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Alan Stubbs started to build the foundations along with Leeann Dempster. Neil Lennon is continuing the build but is also continually improving on the work already started. I'll always be grateful to AS for 21/05/16 but I think that NL is the man to keep taking is forward. I also don't think that Stubbs would be the right man to go back to if Lennon left. We should look to keep moving forward and He would be going back. I am convinced that if NL leaves he will leave a club that would look like a very attractive proposition to top managers to work with. I hope that doesn't come across as anti Stubbs as it's not meant to be. Some nonsense talked about earlier that folk who said they wouldn't have him back are somehow anti Stubbs in a really negative way

Lago
01-11-2017, 09:00 PM
That is not true. His job was safe
You have your info, I have mine.

bigwheel
01-11-2017, 09:03 PM
You have your info, I have mine.

Fair enough. Mine is Leeann Dempster ..so I'm happy with the source

pacoluna
01-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Behave, they weren’t a laughing stock then. We didn’t have a team so let’s not pretend Hearts weren’t well ahead of us when Stubbs took over.

Hearts romped that league. No excuses wasn't acceptable. finishing second was irelivent we got put out the playoffs by the team that finished 3rd.

brog
01-11-2017, 09:09 PM
So about 50% of this board then being tagged as anti Stubbs :faf:

I'm guessing you're not a maths professor!

Hibernia&Alba
01-11-2017, 09:33 PM
They would be in the top half of Scottish clubs so, I suppose you're right.

I would say they are the six biggest club in Scotland behind Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen. Huge underachievement at the moment, but we also know what that's like.

Paisley Hibby
01-11-2017, 09:35 PM

Spot on.

Eyrie
01-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Fair enough. Mine is Leeann Dempster ..so I'm happy with the source

She's hardly going to say anything else though.

Hibernia&Alba
01-11-2017, 09:54 PM
We were at rock bottom when Stubbs arrived: the club was a shambles on and off the park. He made a very important contribution in the resurgence of the last four years, and of course he delivered the cup. Yes, there were some very bad results in there in the league, but it was a big job he had to deliver, and at times was two steps forward and one step back. He did the hard slog when we were at our lowest ebb.

Billy Whizz
01-11-2017, 09:55 PM
We were at rock bottom when Stubbs arrived: the club was a shambles on and off the park. He made a very important contribution in the resurgence of the last four years, and of course he delivered the cup. Yes, there were some very bad results in there in the league, but it was a big job he had to deliver, and at times was two steps forward and one step back. He did the hard slog when we were at our lowest ebb.

Good summary

jacomo
01-11-2017, 10:05 PM

:agree:

So much good sense in this post.

Hibs were an absolute basket case when Stubbsy came in. In his early weeks some folk even thought Hibs might get relegated again. What he did to turn us around and restore our pride was terrific - and of course his final game in charge was truly special.

Leadership is often most apparent when it is missing. He did a terrific job and I love the guy.

I understand those who don't want him back. He did choose to go after all, and to a terrible club. And a 2nd stint as a manager rarely works out.

But - if the circumstances presented themselves sometime in the future, I'd take the risk.

guthrie01
01-11-2017, 10:06 PM

Another sensible post :agree:

Stubbs built the foundations for where we are today and gave us something that no other manager could do for 114 years prior

Forever a legend Stubbsy !

Cameron1875
01-11-2017, 10:11 PM
He led Hibernian to the Scottish Cup.

No more to say apart from I love Alan Stubbs and if for some reason Lennon leaves anytime soon then welcome home to Hibs.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-11-2017, 12:06 AM
I would say they are the six biggest club in Scotland behind Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen. Huge underachievement at the moment, but we also know what that's like.

They're probably not even the biggest club in Dundee but, I couldnae really give a dug's dangler!

Hibernia&Alba
02-11-2017, 12:35 AM
They're probably not even the biggest club in Dundee but, I couldnae really give a dug's dangler!

Aye, fair enough.

Steve-O
02-11-2017, 12:47 AM
Thoroughly agree - Lennon's Hibs are a completely different animal and would never have finished behind Falkirk !.

That apart, I will always be forever thankful to Alan Stubbs for what he gave us - some beautiful, exquisite football, humiliating the Hun often - and all mixed-in with winning the Scottish Cup !

It was poor finishing behind them, but given it just meant we ended up playing them in the play offs, it really made little difference. We were a bit unlucky to lose that game too, a last minute almost overhead kick right into the top corner! Hard to legislate for.

In two seasons, following probably our worst season EVER, Stubbs took us to a Scottish Cup semi final, second in a league with a strong Hearts team and Rangers in it, a League Cup Final, and a Scottish Cup win! Compare that to any 2 year period since the early 80s and you'd be struggling to beat it.

Lennon didn't have to compete with Hearts or Rangers when he got us up, and don't forget we had very similar problems putting the diddy teams away in the promotion season as well, we were just rather fortunate there was no other team that could do any better!

zitelli62
02-11-2017, 12:50 AM
Just look at how many Stubbs signings are still in our side the man done a great job legend for what he done.

Beefster
02-11-2017, 05:51 AM
To this day, Stubbs still gets a huge amount of credit that is really due to Dempster, Craig and others at the club.

bigwheel
02-11-2017, 06:02 AM
To this day, Stubbs still gets a huge amount of credit that is really due to Dempster, Craig and others at the club.

Eh?? Can you explain what you mean but this ? none of these guys picked and set up a team to win a game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
02-11-2017, 06:20 AM
Eh?? Can you explain what you mean but this ? none of these guys picked and set up a team to win a game.

Exactly. The usual anti-Stubbs agenda by some on here. Probably the same ones that slag off Mowbray at every opportunity.

pacoluna
02-11-2017, 06:31 AM
Exactly. The usual anti-Stubbs agenda by some on here. Probably the same ones that slag off Mowbray at every opportunity.

Anti - Stubbs :faf:

Thecat23
02-11-2017, 06:50 AM
Hearts romped that league. No excuses wasn't acceptable. finishing second was irelivent we got put out the playoffs by the team that finished 3rd.

They had a better team ffs, it’s that simple. We had to build a team from scratch what are you not grasping here? They were far better than Hibs but because they are now a laughing stock that’s Stubbs fault???

bigwheel
02-11-2017, 07:00 AM
Just look at how many Stubbs signings are still in our side the man done a great job legend for what he done.

[emoji122][emoji122]

Jones28
02-11-2017, 07:00 AM
She's hardly going to say anything else though.

Exactly

Stubbs left before he was pushed

bigwheel
02-11-2017, 07:09 AM
Exactly

Stubbs left before he was pushed

I get why some people wish this to be true - for some , not getting promoted was unacceptable...

It is too much of a one dimensional view for me - of a team that was completely rebuilt and got to two cup finals , winning one ..narrowly missing out on the play off final after some cruel luck and decisions..

Stubbs was not getting sacked. Had been made clear that they wanted him to stay and finish the job off.. when he told them he wanted to go ..they then tried to get Doolan to take the job ...he almost did, but then chose to go with Stubbs...

Lennon came in and after a mixed season last year,got us up and has now taken us forward - superb appointment

Reinvent history as you please ...that is what happened ..

pacoluna
02-11-2017, 07:12 AM
They had a better team ffs, it’s that simple. We had to build a team from scratch what are you not grasping here? They were far better than Hibs but because they are now a laughing stock that’s Stubbs fault???

grasping at nothing. The fact we finished 21 points behind hearts was pathetic.

bigwheel
02-11-2017, 07:17 AM

This just comes over as a rant tbh

There is no real logic behind what you say here...Hearts were excellent in that first division season. Found a way of winning games that gave them a record score line

It also ignores any context around the state of the club and playing staff at the start of that season ...Hearts had had a full season with most of the same team - we were rudderless, rock bottom confidence and six signed players - finishing second above Rangers with only one point less than we eventually won the (much weaker) league with was a decent, albeit not spectacular, achievement ..

J-C
02-11-2017, 07:21 AM
Stubbs took over a sambles and with Leeanne and Craig turned things around. I gave him the 1st season as a freebee due to what he started with and he exceeded expectations by getting 2nd, should really have beaten Rangers in the play offs. The 2nd season was a disappointment league wise but the cup made him and the players legends, but off field activities meant he was leaving anyway. He still didn't know how to break down defensive teams but was good against premier ones, I think his football would do ok now but we've moved on.

we are hibs
02-11-2017, 07:24 AM

You seem to be one of the main ones on here. The Absolute clowns who slate Stubbs didn't deserve 21st may

pacoluna
02-11-2017, 07:25 AM
This just comes over as a rant tbh

There is no real logic behind what you say here...Hearts were excellent in that first division season. Found a way of winning games that gave them a record score line

It also ignores any context around the state of the club and playing staff at the start of that season ...Hearts had had a full season with most of the same team - we were rudderless, rock bottom confidence and six signed players - finishing second above Rangers with only one point less than we eventually won the (much weaker) league with was a decent, albeit not spectacular, achievement ..

The reason we failed to get promoted twice was because of our results against the much "weaker teams". Hearts found a way of winning your correct we never.

pacoluna
02-11-2017, 07:28 AM
You seem to be one of the main ones on here. The Absolute clowns who slate Stubbs didn't deserve 21st may

so in order to have deserved to see Hibs win the Scottish cup we have to believe Stubbs was successful domestically. Heard it all now.

Heisenberg
02-11-2017, 07:37 AM
Some will never hear a bad word said about Stubbs which is fine. They need to accept that some folk hold a different opinion to them though. Stubbs brought in some good players (also some rank ones mind) and built us a team that’s moved on to a higher level with a different manager in charge. I’m glad Lennon is our manager and hope it stays that way for years to come.

DH1875
02-11-2017, 07:38 AM

Duck hearts. The fact we managed to finish 3rd in a two horse race behind the mighty Falkirk (in the championship might I add) was nothing sort of a piss take. Cup or no cup.

ian cruise
02-11-2017, 07:41 AM
Stubbs did a good job and had us playing so great football at times. He was learning the role as much as we were learning under him. I'd welcome him back if Neil chose to move on but not at the expense of our current manager, who's experience I believe is shining through.

Even when the fans were getting a little jittery about the number of draws and lack of wins in the last few games the team kept their nerve, worked hard and learned from their mistakes. It looks like we're carrying on from last season, win when we can but make sure we leave with at least a point, ignore the opposition and focus on ourselves. Worked well last season and this season we're sitting third as well as having been to Hampden already.

I hope Neil is with us for a long time but if he moves on, whether Stubbs gets another chance with us should depend on who I should available, we shouldn't be assumed as the automatic successor just because of the Scottish Cup.

blackpoolhibs
02-11-2017, 07:47 AM

I have yet to see an anti stubbs agenda, unless you mean Una?

Alan Stubbs is a Hibernian great, one of a few who are classed as legends.

It is possible to form an opinion that he was a fantastic appointment for us at that time, resulting in a historic day, but also think he couldnt get his team to beat smaller teams like Alloa and Dumbarton enough to catch herts sevco and even Falkirk.

As daft as it may sound, i actually think he'd do well in the SPFL (is that what its called) but i think under Lennon we have moved up in quality, and are a better team under him.

sleeping giant
02-11-2017, 07:58 AM
Stunned at some of the comments.
Heartbreaking so it is.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-11-2017, 08:01 AM
Duck hearts. The fact we managed to finish 3rd in a two horse race behind the mighty Falkirk (in the championship might I add) was nothing sort of a piss take. Cup or no cup.

From jan-may 21st we played around 32 games. Over 10 games MORE than falkirk. Or on average 2 or 3 games a month extra against opposition of a much higher calibre.

In the real world that takes it's tole on the players.had we been dumped our the Scottish by hearts, imo we'd have strolled to 2nd place

Andy74
02-11-2017, 08:16 AM
Stunned at some of the comments.
Heartbreaking so it is.

Like what? It’s quite possible, evidenced pretty much throughout this thread, to have respect for the job he did here but still feel that it wouldn’t be the right step bringing him back at some point.

keep the faith
02-11-2017, 08:18 AM
You should see the threads around the falkirk play off game from posters on here. The stuff said about Stubbs was atrocious. We won the Scottish cup a week or so later!
Absolute legend and as others have said, the clubs before and after position during his tenure was staggering.
Lennon is doing a superb job - long may he continue, but when he decides to move on I hope we see Stubbs back at the club at some point.

Beefster
02-11-2017, 08:43 AM

I’m pretty certain I didn’t dispute that.

Have you read all the things that Stubbs is getting credit for on this thread?

Northernhibee
02-11-2017, 09:08 AM
From jan-may 21st we played around 32 games. Over 10 games MORE than falkirk. Or on average 2 or 3 games a month extra against opposition of a much higher calibre.

In the real world that takes it's tole on the players.had we been dumped our the Scottish by hearts, imo we'd have strolled to 2nd place
Quite right. Competing on three fronts isn't easy even for an EPL team with all the squad depth they'd have, never mind us.

We also had injury issues and had Bartley and KT only in centre mid for certain games.

Stubbs was a victim of his success in the cups.

Jones28
02-11-2017, 09:31 AM
I get why some people wish this to be true - for some , not getting promoted was unacceptable...

It is too much of a one dimensional view for me - of a team that was completely rebuilt and got to two cup finals , winning one ..narrowly missing out on the play off final after some cruel luck and decisions..

Stubbs was not getting sacked. Had been made clear that they wanted him to stay and finish the job off.. when he told them he wanted to go ..they then tried to get Doolan to take the job ...he almost did, but then chose to go with Stubbs...

Lennon came in and after a mixed season last year,got us up and has now taken us forward - superb appointment

There were behind the scenes problems that were common knowledge in my experience.

Stubbs revitalised our club and won us the cup and for that I will be forever greatful. However I do think with Lennon we have improved.

bigwheel
02-11-2017, 09:33 AM
There were behind the scenes problems that were common knowledge in my experience.

Stubbs revitalised our club and won us the cup and for that I will be forever greatful. However I do think with Lennon we have improved.

Agree that Lennon has taken us forward ....[emoji106]

Pretty Boy
02-11-2017, 09:36 AM
Like what? It’s quite possible, evidenced pretty much throughout this thread, to have respect for the job he did here but still feel that it wouldn’t be the right step bringing him back at some point.

Sadly there's a few who appear to want to trash the job he did do as well though.

Two different arguments going on I think.

bigwheel
02-11-2017, 09:41 AM
I’m pretty certain I didn’t dispute that.

Have you read all the things that Stubbs is getting credit for on this thread?

Nah Beef. I'm not a masochist :-).

Pretty Boy
02-11-2017, 09:43 AM

George Craig, Leeann Dempster, Graeme Mathie and many others get plenty credit when it's being dished out.

It's not a huge stretch of the imagination to say that had the wrong man been in the dug out they may have been viewed far less favourably than they were and are. Remember Leeann posting on here about encountering negativity at every turn and being hugely frustrated by it? Remember her having to spend a night in a hotel after online abuse she received? That was all because of the absolute shambles we were on the park at the beginning of our 1st season in the Championship and Stubbs played a massive part, the key part imo, in turning that around.

People can say he, hypothetically, that he wouldn't be a good fit for us now and that's fair enough. To downplay the job he did do for us though is pretty mean spirited and grossly unfair.

Iain G
02-11-2017, 09:44 AM

Unaware and not really interested in the behind the scenes whispers and whinges, surely this is the same at all workplaces!?!

Stubbs and Leeann inherted a club in a bad shape both off and on the field and did a miraculous job given what they started with and picked the club and the support back up. The cup win was what we needed and looking back on it now was probably more symbolic and more important than us getting promoted that season, when you look at where the club is now and shedding that weight from our back.

We move forward from that day with Neil Lennon building on the very good foundations laid by Stubbs and a positive, forward momentum.

Just look at the season ticket sales, strip sales, full houses and the position in the league table at the moment for proof of club and support moving forward united. :agree:

The role Stubbs and co played in putting Hibernian back together shouldn't be played down or dismissed. :agree:

Beefster
02-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Nah Beef. I'm not a masochist :-).

Haha, fair play!

Pretty Boy
02-11-2017, 09:48 AM
You should see the threads around the falkirk play off game from posters on here. The stuff said about Stubbs was atrocious. We won the Scottish cup a week or so later!
Absolute legend and as others have said, the clubs before and after position during his tenure was staggering.
Lennon is doing a superb job - long may he continue, but when he decides to move on I hope we see Stubbs back at the club at some point.

I certainly posted a few things at the time of the Falkirk game that were pretty poor. You have to allow a certain tolerance for football being an emotive game, I remember a couple of supporters clubs tweeting 'Stubbs Out' after a defeat at Dumbarton for example.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and with it I can see what a great job Stubbs did. In the simplest terms do people believe Neil Lennon would be doing as well as he is now had he directly succeeded Terry Butcher?

Beefster
02-11-2017, 09:55 AM
George Craig, Leeann Dempster, Graeme Mathie and many others get plenty credit when it's being dished out.

It's not a huge stretch of the imagination to say that had the wrong man been in the dug out they may have been viewed far less favourably than they were and are. Remember Leeann posting on here about encountering negativity at every turn and being hugely frustrated by it? Remember her having to spend a night in a hotel after online abuse she received? That was all because of the absolute shambles we were on the park at the beginning of our 1st season in the Championship and Stubbs played a massive part, the key part imo, in turning that around.

People can say he, hypothetically, that he wouldn't be a good fit for us now and that's fair enough. To downplay the job he did do for us though is pretty mean spirited and grossly unfair.

I'm not entirely sure what it was in my [fairly innocuous, I thought] post that prompted this but I think you must be reading some subtext that doesn't exist.

Stubbs regularly gets credit for things that weren't in his remit (e.g., turning around the club, improving the recruitment). Folk forget he was a Head Coach. By all means, go nuts about what he did to the team but lets not start crediting everything good that has happened since 2014 to him.

mjhibby
02-11-2017, 10:00 AM

For all he never got promotion the job in resurrecting the club was nothing short of amazing. The club only lost £600,000 in the two seasons he was in charge whereas hertz lost £1.2m in their one season in the championship and clubs like killie are losing that every year in the spl. He brought some tremendous players to the club like gray, mcginn, mcgeoch, Bartley, mcgregor etc and gave us some phenomenal nights at er and great cup runs. We just took it for granted wins over Aberdeen, D utd, hertz in the cup. The impact of the cup win in returning the spirit to the club is incalculable and we are seeing crowds not seen for over forty years. I will forever be grateful to him for the players he brought to the club and the way we played. How anybody can knock the guy I can't fathom and good luck in whatever he does in the future.

Pretty Boy
02-11-2017, 10:04 AM
I'm not entirely sure what it was in my [fairly innocuous, I thought] post that prompted this but I think you must be reading some subtext that doesn't exist.

Stubbs regularly gets credit for things that weren't in his remit (e.g., turning around the club, improving the recruitment). Folk forget he was a Head Coach. By all means, go nuts about what he did to the team but lets not start crediting everything good that has happened since 2014 to him.

I've not see people credit him with everything since 2014, no more than I've seen people unfairly criticise him anyway.

Stubbs played his part in turning around the club, unless on field success didn't play a part in that. The huge jump in crowds since May 2016 and the complete change in mindset of many fans suggests otherwise though. It's also been confirmed several times that the manager/head coach plays a hands on role in recruitment and selecting the players he wants.

My point was the whole turnaround of the club was a team effort and Stubbs was a key cog in the machine. Had the head coach been poor the recruitment wouldn't have been as successful. Had we not achieved anything on the field the off field changes would have been viewed less favourably or dismissed as window dressing. The changes at Hibs have been a huge collective effort and Stubbs influence extended beyond simply being a head coach.

Beefster
02-11-2017, 10:09 AM
I've not see people credit him with everything since 2014, no more than I've seen people unfairly criticise him anyway.

Stubbs played his part in turning around the club, unless on field success didn't play a part in that. The huge jump in crowds since May 2016 and the complete change in mindset of many fans suggests otherwise though. It's also been confirmed several times that the manager/head coach plays a hands on role in recruitment and selecting the players he wants.

My point was the whole turnaround of the club was a team effort and Stubbs was a key cog in the machine. Had the head coach been poor the recruitment wouldn't have been as successful. Had we not achieved anything on the field the off field changes would have been viewed less favourably or dismissed as window dressing. The changes at Hibs have been a huge collective effort and Stubbs influence extended beyond simply being a head coach.

So he played his part, as part of a bigger team, in improving Hibs. Hardly 'mean-spirited', 'grossly unfair' or 'trashing the job he did'.

mjhibby
02-11-2017, 10:13 AM
Unaware and not really interested in the behind the scenes whispers and whinges, surely this is the same at all workplaces!?!

Stubbs and Leeann inherted a club in a bad shape both off and on the field and did a miraculous job given what they started with and picked the club and the support back up. The cup win was what we needed and looking back on it now was probably more symbolic and more important than us getting promoted that season, when you look at where the club is now and shedding that weight from our back.

We move forward from that day with Neil Lennon building on the very good foundations laid by Stubbs and a positive, forward momentum.

Just look at the season ticket sales, strip sales, full houses and the position in the league table at the moment for proof of club and support moving forward united. :agree:

The role Stubbs and co played in putting Hibernian back together shouldn't be played down or dismissed. :agree:

Exactly. I think people's frustration at where the club was under butcher and being in the championship meant if we didn't get back up straight away then they were going to let off steam. Fair enough but it was a unique time with three of the biggest clubs in Scotland trying to get promoted and us starting off from a horrible position of only eight signed players. The cup runs meant we could improve the squad but also took their toll on the players and it was an amazing effort to win the cup after the run of games we had though I think Stokesy deciding he would show us how good he was that day helped just a wee bit. Neil Lennon is doing a tremendous job as well and we look a serious spl side who haven't lost away all season but we wouldn't be in this position without the work stubbs and everybody else did to build the club back up again.

Pretty Boy
02-11-2017, 10:14 AM
So he played his part, as part of a bigger team, in improving Hibs. Hardly 'mean-spirited', 'grossly unfair' or 'trashing the job he did'.

Which is all I have ever claimed he did.

The last statements weren't aimed directly at you, it could certainly apply to 3 or 4 other people on this thread though.

JimBHibees
02-11-2017, 10:22 AM

Totally agree with that. No one has said he was perfect but to me he did an amazing job in rebuilding the playing side of the team and brought us the holy grail. Seems a little churlish to try and downplay that.

CallumLaidlaw
02-11-2017, 10:24 AM
I remember updating my Hibs blog on a fairly regular basis during our cup winning season and writing how frustrated I was with Stubbs reliance on certain players and stubbornness with his style. If we hadn't won the cup, I would've about what the season ticket sales would have looked like - theres no doubt we're still seeing the bounce from that to this very day. I think the biggest frustration tho was that we knew what that group of players were capable of. We'd seen performances against Dundee Utd, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Hearts, Rangers that season where we were great. And I think that sums it up. Stubbs' style suited us when playing against teams that were a bit more open, but there was a real lack of a plan B. These players tho were largely brought in to Hibs by Stubbs. Would John McGinn and others have signed for Hibs if it wasn't for Stubbs? unlikely - its well reported that Stubbs performed a real charm offensive on SJM to stop him going to the USA. Stubbs was the PERFECT fit for our club at that time. He worked well with George Craig and LD, he was keen on modern sports science etc, and he pushed for the level of performance analysis we now have at the club. Lennon has proved to be a superb progression for us, especially as he is keen on fast wingplay, but if Lennon left, and Stubbs was brought back (which I think LD and GC would be very keen on - he was nowehere NEAR getting the sack, I'm 99.9% certain of that) I would certainly welcome him. Stubbs had his faults, but just look at Dundee Utd now - now in a league they are expected to romp, and are well off the pace, more with performances than points.

Hiber-nation
02-11-2017, 11:03 AM

Roll about on the floor as much as you want Paco, there are plenty on here desperate to have a dig at any opportunity.

pacoluna
02-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Roll about on the floor as much as you want Paco, there are plenty on here desperate to have a dig at any opportunity.

no just bored of stubbs getting brought up at every opportunity. Almost as if the managerial vacancy becomes available again he should just walk straight back in to it. I have argued that his domestic failings should be considered when hiring again I also can't get my head around the fact he said he thought he had taking hibs as far as he could which was absolute nonsense. He used Hibs as a stepping stone for Rotherham! ROTHERHAM.

J-C
02-11-2017, 11:54 AM
no just bored of stubbs getting brought up at every opportunity. Almost as if the managerial vacancy becomes available again he should just walk straight back in to it. I have argued that his domestic failings should be considered when hiring again I also can't get my head around the fact he said he thought he had taking hibs as far as he could which was absolute nonsense. He used Hibs as a stepping stone for Rotherham! ROTHERHAM.

There were personal factors at work here, I'm not going into any details here but there has been plenty speculation on here and elsewhere, needless to say he and the board knew he was leaving prior to the cup final and Rotherham just happened to be available at the right time.

Swedish hibee
02-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Stubbs legend💚 Love the man.

SirDavidsNapper
02-11-2017, 12:01 PM
I think Stubbs will always devide opinion among our support. For me he left the club in a much, much healthier state on the park than when he took over. He without doubt had the hardest task of any Hibs manager when he took over. He gradually restored our shattered pride and left us with the Scottish cup. I can't really say anymore than that.

heretoday
02-11-2017, 12:15 PM

I agree. I can't believe some of the posts on here. Remember what things were like when Stubbs took over? Shambolic.

We're third in the league and having the best season for ages but 55 years of supporting Hibs has taught me that it can change very quickly. Lennon goes, we don't gel with a new manager, a run of defeats and pretty soon it's back to 8,000 crowds and rubbish football.

Enjoy the good times, Hibbies, but don't strut around too obviously and don't forget the guy who started it.

Jones28
02-11-2017, 12:19 PM

My point is that the off field issues made his position at Hibs untenable.

No arguing the job he did was remarkable, his contribution must never be down played, but regardless of the outcome of that season he was not going to be at the club for the following season.

brog
02-11-2017, 12:26 PM

I guess Stubbs' domestic failings include winning the cup, being in 2 cup finals for the 1st time ever, finishing above Sevco for the 3rd time in 60 years, starting the undefeated run against Yams, 5 games & beating Sevco by the highest margin in our history. By "failings" you can only mean we didn't get promoted but the play offs were our realistic target & they're a lottery. Well 6-2 Rangers illustrstes that & Alan Muir's total incompetence ruined our 2016 promotion bid. Its impossible to overstate the effort & character required by management & the players to bounce back from defeats at Hampden & Falkirk to win a cup 1/4 final & final.

Northernhibee
02-11-2017, 12:28 PM
The man did what Stanton, Turnbull, Mowbray and many other great managers couldn't do and that is to bring home the Scottish Cup. For that he's forever a legend of the club and people will talk about his tenure in fifty years time.

He's a man of sheer class who represented us with dignity and passion.

rotherhamrob
02-11-2017, 12:48 PM
How many managers have left our club in far better state than when they started?
How many left as a cup winning legend?
If the situation arose I certainly wouldn't mind Alan and John back again.

Thecat23
02-11-2017, 01:32 PM
I guess Stubbs' domestic failings include winning the cup, being in 2 cup finals for the 1st time ever, finishing above Sevco for the 3rd time in 60 years, starting the undefeated run against Yams, 5 games & beating Sevco by the highest margin in our history. By "failings" you can only mean we didn't get promoted but the play offs were our realistic target & they're a lottery. Well 6-2 Rangers illustrstes that & Alan Muir's total incompetence ruined our 2016 promotion bid. Its impossible to overstate the effort & character required by management & the players to bounce back from defeats at Hampden & Falkirk to win a cup 1/4 final & final.

I wouldn’t bother explaining things like this. Seems some have made up their mind he’s a failure. Stubbs build everything good that is there now. I’m delighted Neil Lennon has taken us to the next level on what Stubbs left us.

Stubbs was one of the best managers Hibs have ever had that is a fact as he has a SC winners medal to prove it. He also installed belief in the team which we haven’t had for many a year while playing some nice football.

makaveli1875
02-11-2017, 02:30 PM
love stubbsy , there should be a statue of him outside the stadium and they should rename the main stand in his honour .

JohnM1875
02-11-2017, 03:50 PM
I wouldn’t bother explaining things like this. Seems some have made up their mind he’s a failure. Stubbs build everything good that is there now. I’m delighted Neil Lennon has taken us to the next level on what Stubbs left us.

Stubbs was one of the best managers Hibs have ever had that is a fact as he has a SC winners medal to prove it. He also installed belief in the team which we haven’t had for many a year while playing some nice football.

Absolutely spot on!

Stubbs managed to do something no manager in any of our lifetimes has managed and provided us with the best day of our Hibs supporting life. A day many of us probably thought we’d never see. The man is, and forever be, a Hibs legend!

IGRIGI
02-11-2017, 04:08 PM
Why exactly are play offs a lottery? I'd understand this if the winner was picked from a hat but how exactly is a 2 leg affair vs Falkirk down to pot luck?

Smartie
02-11-2017, 04:16 PM
Why exactly are play offs a lottery? I'd understand this if the winner was picked from a hat but how exactly is a 2 leg affair vs Falkirk down to pot luck?

Craig Thomson, Alan Muir.

The playoffs leave some teams kicking their heels for a few weeks whilst others pick up a bit of momentum winning matches. Ultimately though, those teams end up knackered when they meet a fresh Premier League team.

A whole season's work can be out the window with a break of a ball, a refereeing decision or an early or late goal.

I would never judge a manager on a play off failure, put it that way.

Thecat23
02-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Craig Thomson, Alan Muir.

The playoffs leave some teams kicking their heels for a few weeks whilst others pick up a bit of momentum winning matches. Ultimately though, those teams end up knackered when they meet a fresh Premier League team.

A whole season's work can be out the window with a break of a ball, a refereeing decision or an early or late goal.

I would never judge a manager on a play off failure, put it that way.

I still can’t believe we never got a pen that time the Falkirk player rolled the ball away with his hand.

Hibs1969
02-11-2017, 04:24 PM
I still can’t believe we never got a pen that time the Falkirk player rolled the ball away with his hand.
The incident which Stephen Craigan was adamant wasn't a penalty? It wouldn't have been out of place in a Harlem Globetrotters game. Worst bit of refereeing at ER in decades.

Thecat23
02-11-2017, 04:26 PM
The incident which Stephen Craigan was adamant wasn't a penalty? It wouldn't have been out of place in a Harlem Globetrotters game. Worst bit of refereeing at ER in decades.

The very one, and you are right it wouldn’t have been out of place in a Harem Globetrotters game. That convinced me the ref cheated that night because even a poor ref couldn’t refuse that one.

guthrie01
02-11-2017, 04:29 PM

https://youtu.be/dzGCyKKyb6A?t=1m3s

Unbelievable when you watch it back :hilarious

Green Badger
02-11-2017, 04:31 PM

That's even worse than I remember, look at the position of the ref also - perfect view.

HoboHarry
02-11-2017, 04:33 PM
The very one, and you are right it wouldn’t have been out of place in a Harem Globetrotters game. That convinced me the ref cheated that night because even a poor ref couldn’t refuse that one.
Ach, what goes around comes around. We are in third place in the top division and thriving and Falkirk are, well errrrr..........

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/scottish-championship

Judge-Judy
02-11-2017, 04:39 PM

In a nutshell :agree:.

Thecat23
02-11-2017, 04:40 PM

It gets worse every time you watch it. Ref has a clear view and if that’s not a stonewall pen then I’ve no idea what is.

Thecat23
02-11-2017, 04:41 PM
Ach, what goes around comes around. We are in third place in the top division and thriving and Falkirk are, well errrrr..........

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/scottish-championship

Very true and I hope Falkirk never get promoted 😁

Kato
02-11-2017, 04:59 PM
Stubbs stated he was building a team for the top tier when he arrived, and that was a mistake imo. Hearts built a team to win promotion from the Scottish second tier, a level at which endeavour and muscle are more required than nice football. Guys like Sow and Zeei*** won them promotion whereas Rangers and Hibs, arguably sides more was on the eye, were left behind. Signing Holt, who can roll and turn defenders for fun, showed how direct you have to be in that League.

No matter now.

What I will say is we were immediately more professional on the park when Stuybs arrived. He also reigned over a very united and happy dressing room. When he lifted the Cup and pointed at it then to the Hibs fans I can honestly say its the happiest I've ever been in 50 years supporting the club. If you look at that in context with the standing ovation we gave him on his return to playing after battling with cancer its a story with a remarkable arc and a great ending.

I dunno, maybe people take our recent success for granted but having suffered "mangers" who just didn't give a toss about Hibs down the years I worship the ground Stubbs walks on and will never forget his part in giving us our football team back.

Just Jimmy
02-11-2017, 06:58 PM
took over with 7 players on the books and no goalkeepers.

left having delivered the holy grail.

arise, Sir Alan Stubbs.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RyeSloan
02-11-2017, 07:47 PM
Hearts romped that league to a record points total. Was an impressive campaign overall by them..

A classic dead cat bounce.

fulshie
03-11-2017, 12:09 AM
Alan Stubbs is now a legend at Easter Road, we all know that, and winning the SC was thee defining moment. I also think that his 1st season was also a major success due to the fact that he had to rebuild a team as the season went on and still got the better of Hearts and Rangers (in a mini league between them, we were on top after games played between the three). Rangers came up and were running and had to make few changes and hearts came down with players that were SPFL battle hardened. That's some management! The tip of that management was getting John McGinn on a 4 year contract. Brilliant Stubbsy!!

Andy74
03-11-2017, 12:16 AM
took over with 7 players on the books and no goalkeepers.

left having delivered the holy grail.

arise, Sir Alan Stubbs.

He took over at a time when all the off field support was being put in place and he could rebuild without being held back by a squad of players he didn’t want.

I think the 7 players thing was a big advantage to him actually.

bigwheel
03-11-2017, 01:58 AM

Agree completely....he doesn't of course have an SC medal...as not only was he great for Hibs - because of the kind of man he is, he put his SC medal up for charity auction - I believe Hibs bought it...

Johnny_Leith
03-11-2017, 02:24 AM
I love Stubbsy. For me, he is the greatest man that has ever lived.

If Jesus had a baby, he'd have called him Alan Stubbs.

Anyone who does not think Stubbsy was a good manager for Hibernian, needs their head checked.

Legend.

poolman
03-11-2017, 02:52 AM

Your failing with your posts on so many counts I would just give up now

JimBHibees
03-11-2017, 06:33 AM
Stubbs stated he was building a team for the top tier when he arrived, and that was a mistake imo. Hearts built a team to win promotion from the Scottish second tier, a level at which endeavour and muscle are more required than nice football. Guys like Sow and Zeei*** won them promotion whereas Rangers and Hibs, arguably sides more was on the eye, were left behind. Signing Holt, who can roll and turn defenders for fun, showed how direct you have to be in that League.

No matter now.

What I will say is we were immediately more professional on the park when Stuybs arrived. He also reigned over a very united and happy dressing room. When he lifted the Cup and pointed at it then to the Hibs fans I can honestly say its the happiest I've ever been in 50 years supporting the club. If you look at that in context with the standing ovation we gave him on his return to playing after battling with cancer its a story with a remarkable arc and a great ending.

I dunno, maybe people take our recent success for granted but having suffered "mangers" who just didn't give a toss about Hibs down the years I worship the ground Stubbs walks on and will never forget his part in giving us our football team back.

Great post and also his assistants seemed to really get into what Hibs were all about and loved the club in their time here.

Smartie
03-11-2017, 07:07 AM
He took over at a time when all the off field support was being put in place and he could rebuild without being held back by a squad of players he didn’t want.

The 7 players thing WAS a big advantage, but he still had to work with those 7.

The fact that by November of his first season he had us playing some pretty good football with a midfield that contained Scott Robertson, Liam Craig and Danny Handling (once Scott Allan was getting into his stride) was of credit to him. These were players who had bombed under previous managers and were gone/ rarely seen after that season.

He also had to do without Farid for most of that season, I suspect he was meant to be his main man up front that year.

Thecat23
03-11-2017, 07:08 AM

You think that was an advantage?? Stubbs himself said he’d never have taken the job if he knew about the state of it on and off. What things were put in place that Stubbs didn’t help with? It’s was only a matter of weeks from when Butcher left so I can’t think of anything major.

Stubbs, Petrie and Dempster all came together to get this clubs heart beating again. Each one playing a huge roll. Hibs didn’t have a huge money so no... Having 7 players wasn’t an advantage and to be honest it’s a bit disrespectful to Stubbs. You seem to think the job for him was easy!

LeithMike
03-11-2017, 07:10 AM
To be fair, I've not seen any comments on this thread that are completely out of order. There are two viewpoints and the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle. From my perspective, I think Stubbs is a club legend for delivering the Scottish Cup. Bad managers have won cups in football before so I don't, necessarily, think it means he is a great manager.

Looking at the evidence base for that I think Stubbs clearly has good attributes as a manager. He built a team spirit at Hibs that is the best I have seen in my lifetime. He moved from a culture of players on short-term contracts and players being regarded as commodities by the club to one where there was pride to play for the jersey for the first time in a long number of years. Hibs were also competitive in pretty much every game they played and always tried to play football. It was good to be a Hibs supporter during his tenure. That said, I did find Hibs to be a bit one dimensional during Stubs' reign and played with a complete lack of width in forward areas. I think it is, therefore, fair for people to question his tactical nous. That does not, however, take away from his role in rebuilding Hibs from the complete disarray we were in.

While I am very pleased with the job Neil Lennon is doing, I don't think he could have done the job Alan Stubbs did. His time at Bolton was probably more akin to what Stubbs had to do at Hibs. Stubbs is clearly more about building confidence in players, developing team spirit and going out and playing football. Lennon seems to be more about challenging players, developing them as players (I think Hanlon and Cummings in particular have shown significant improvement under him) and getting results.

I, therefore, think we have been extremely lucky to have both as managers and in the order we had them. Who knows where we will be when Lennon leaves and while I would not, necessarily, want Stubbs back we could do a lot, lot worse.

One last thing on Stubbs. I've not heard any of the rumours some seem to be alluding to but the most impressive thing about him for me was that he always acted as a gentleman and with honour and integrity. He continually backed the players when some were losing faith and his conduct in the aftermath of the cup final was exemplarly and made me proud to be a Hibs fan.

essexhibee
03-11-2017, 07:46 AM
He also totally changed the mentality with our approach to Derbies which was a huge thing to be able to do. We now go into them confident and believing we can win and that started with Stubbs.

jacomo
03-11-2017, 08:49 AM
The Scotsman rumour mill says that Dundee Utd never offered Stubbs the job and will appoint Csaba Laszlo next week.

Mental.

JimBHibees
03-11-2017, 08:52 AM
The Scotsman rumour mill says that Dundee Utd never offered Stubbs the job and will appoint Csaba Laszlo next week.

Mental.

When did Laszlo last have a job in football?

SirDavidsNapper
03-11-2017, 08:58 AM

I'd be astonished if he was offered the Aberdeen job.

lyonhibs
03-11-2017, 09:16 AM
DAC Dunajská Streda[edit (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Csaba_L%C3%A1szl%C3%B3_(footballer ,_born_1964)&action=edit&section=10&editintro=Template:BLP_editintro)]On 20 October 2016, he was appointed as a head coach of Slovak Super Liga (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovak_Super_Liga) team Dunajská Streda (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FC_DAC_1904_Dunajsk%C3%A1_Streda)[7] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Csaba_L%C3%A1szl%C3%B3_(footballer,_born_1964)#cit e_note-7) When László Csaba took over Premier League Slovakian club DAC 1904 Dunajská Streda, the Slovakian club was lying bottom of the league with a big danger of relegation to the 2nd division. Laszlo Csaba transformed Dunajská Streda into a winning team managed to took them out of the relegation zone. In an incredible come back, Dunajská Streda missed narrowly a place to the Europa League. László Csaba guided his team to a successful breaking-record of 16 games unbeaten which is a new record in the Slovakian football league history.

Apparently.

One of the more non-descript Hearts managers of recent years, had them getting the odd decent result or 2 even if the football was grim. Now they just have the grim football

jacomo
03-11-2017, 11:28 AM
I'd be astonished if he was offered the Aberdeen job.

Why?

Who else would they go for?

SirDavidsNapper
03-11-2017, 11:29 AM
Why?

Who else would they go for?

Tommy Wright or Micheal O'Neil would be the two obvious choices.

brog
03-11-2017, 11:34 AM

IIRC McCracken? then actually tripped the Hibs player, Hendo I think, as he ran to appeal. Could have been 3 different pens in 10 seconds.

bigwheel
03-11-2017, 11:34 AM

O'Neill is well beyond the Aberdeen job currently...he will get a decent level English job...

Jack Ross is another potential candidate for them. Wright is a no brainier for me

Lago
03-11-2017, 12:14 PM
How long until Stubbs is linked with the Everton job?

Mr White
03-11-2017, 12:23 PM

No way would O'Neil leave NI before the WC playoffs imo. If they lose to the Swiss then perhaps but if they manage to get through then I suspect he'd want to stay and take them to Russia next summer.

allezsauzee
03-11-2017, 12:29 PM
A club job would probably involve too much driving every day for Michael O'Neill

Andy74
03-11-2017, 12:34 PM
How long until Stubbs is linked with the Everton job?

A very long time I'd imagine.

Stubbs just isn't that level.

cabbageandribs1875
03-11-2017, 12:36 PM
A club job would probably involve too much driving every day for Michael O'Neill

he would need to find someone to drive for him....he's banned after being caught drink driving

weecounty hibby
03-11-2017, 04:17 PM

I was told at work today with great certainty by the office jambo today the O'Neil will be hearts new manager and that Craig Latrine is just a stopgap till he leaves NI. Said this was why his assistant was still at Tiny Tiny. I did point out that was probably because they couldn't afford to punt him so were unlikely to afford MON. Delusional fud

bigwheel
03-11-2017, 06:38 PM
I was told at work today with great certainty by the office jambo today the O'Neil will be hearts new manager and that Craig Latrine is just a stopgap till he leaves NI. Said this was why his assistant was still at Tiny Tiny. I did point out that was probably because they couldn't afford to punt him so were unlikely to afford MON. Delusional fud

Certainly is. Only the old firm now have the salaries and drawing power for O'Neill currently. Yams have absolutely no chance