PDA

View Full Version : BBC Scottish News

--------
31-10-2017, 11:43 PM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the Scottish News on BBC1 had a big item on the Champions' League match at Parkhead (understandably) and absolutely no mention at all of the match at Kilmarnock. Not even, "And in tonight's other match ..." sort of thing.

It appears we're non-persons supporting a non-team.

Carheenlea
31-10-2017, 11:54 PM
Everything you want to know about tonight's game will be found on Hibs.net, Hibs TV, official site and social media. The days of relying on the BBC and written press for news of Hibs has long gone.

HibbySpurs
01-11-2017, 06:13 AM
Everything you want to know about tonight's game will be found on Hibs.net, Hibs TV, official site and social media. The days of relying on the BBC and written press for news of Hibs has long gone.

This. Who cares about the BBC and other Scottish MSm. We are in a good place, we all know this, we don't need them to tell us, in fact it's amusing that they seem reluctant to mention us.

jacomo
01-11-2017, 06:41 AM
This. Who cares about the BBC and other Scottish MSm. We are in a good place, we all know this, we don't need them to tell us, in fact it's amusing that they seem reluctant to mention us.

It matters. Our domestic game deserves proper coverage.

MrSmith
01-11-2017, 06:50 AM

The real issue here is that everyone of us is made to pay for the BBC. It neither delivers nor services the needs of anyone outside of the west coast. It is a con and needs to be stopped.

green day
01-11-2017, 06:59 AM
The real issue here is that everyone of us is made to pay for the BBC. It neither delivers nor services the needs of anyone outside of the west coast. It is a con and needs to be stopped.

The local output is pathetically skewed to the ugly sisters.

Would be interesting to see their regional listener stats for local product (Sportsound) versus national programming (e.g. 6 Radio).

The Harp Awakes
01-11-2017, 07:03 AM
Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the Scottish News on BBC1 had a big item on the Champions' League match at Parkhead (understandably) and absolutely no mention at all of the match at Kilmarnock. Not even, "And in tonight's other match ..." sort of thing.

The BBC in Scotland needs totally overhauled. In the other parts of the UK their headquarters are in the capital cities; London, Cardiff and Belfast, but somehow in Scotland the capital city is overlooked in favour of Glasgow. The effect is that BBC Scotland is West Coast centric and none more so than in their football coverage, which is a total joke.

I still haven't got over the BBC's disgraceful, unbalanced coverage of the 2014 independence referendum. So biased in favour of the 'No' camp it was unreal.

CockneyRebel
01-11-2017, 07:08 AM
The BBC in Scotland needs totally overhauled. In the other parts of the UK their headquarters are in the capital cities; London, Cardiff and Belfast, but somehow in Scotland the capital city is overlooked. The effect is that BBC Scotland is West Coast centric and none more so than in their football coverage, which is a total joke.

I still haven't got over the BBC's disgraceful, unbalanced coverage of the 2014 independence referendum. So biased in favour of the 'No' camp it was unreal.

Halloween is over - time to get back in your box.

ian cruise
01-11-2017, 07:16 AM
The BBC in Scotland needs totally overhauled. In the other parts of the UK their headquarters are in the capital cities; London, Cardiff and Belfast, but somehow in Scotland the capital city is overlooked in favour of Glasgow. The effect is that BBC Scotland is West Coast centric and none more so than in their football coverage, which is a total joke.

Interestingly your two point are contradictory. You complain that the BBC is West coast centric, implying they pander to Glasgow and the surrounding areas but also that you can't forgive the coverage of the 2014 referendum coverage however 4 regions voted No, 3 of which were in the west coast (Glasgow, North Lanarkshire and West Dumbartonshire).

I actually don't find the coverage to have a massive west coast bias, I live in Glasgow area and I find I get as much info about the rest of the country as I do the local area. Yes there is more coverage for the two Glasgow teams but that just pandering to their larger fan bases, much of which isn't based in Glasgow either. Just look at the swathes of buses that travel from around the country every weekend to watch them. I'm not saying it right teams outside of the old firm don't get coverage obviously, I was as frustrated as anyone as I couldn't make the game last night but I don't think it's West coast bias that caused that, just lazy journalism which is endemic throughout our media.

Thanks again to HibbyKeith for saving the day with matchb updates though.

superfurryhibby
01-11-2017, 07:16 AM
[/I]Halloween is over - time to get back in your box.

Such insight.

The BBC is a shambles. I like their sport coverage and some of the other radio output, but BBC tv is a disgrace.

HibbySpurs
01-11-2017, 07:31 AM

I agree with that tbh

The Harp Awakes
01-11-2017, 07:31 AM

Nice. Thanks Jackie Bird for that insightful contribution to the discussion.

One Day Soon
01-11-2017, 07:34 AM
Nice. Thanks Jackie Bird for that insightful contribution to the discussion.

If it is going to be politics - and particularly if it is going to be revisiting what was a very divisive referendum - it is best kept on the Holy Ground.

stonewaller1875
01-11-2017, 07:35 AM

It appears we're non-persons supporting a non-team.That's the BBC for you

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

stonewaller1875
01-11-2017, 07:37 AM
[/I]Halloween is over - time to get back in your box.What????

SkintHibby
01-11-2017, 07:43 AM
The answer is simple. Don't pay for this outdated licence. I stopped paying for it after the disgraceful bias in the BBC reporting of the independence referendum.

Cat Stanton
01-11-2017, 07:44 AM

Come on, let's be fair: on sportsound, they did give a cursory mention of the Hibs game. Indeed, they briefly interrupted their slavering preview of the Septic game to interview Neil Lennon... and promptly asked him all about the Septic game. It was astonishing. And even though I am fast becoming Lennon's no. 1 fan, I do wish he wouldn't humour this nonsense, and instead point out the focus should be on his own team, Hibs.

Carheenlea
01-11-2017, 07:45 AM
I would have been more bothered about it 10 years ago, but it doesn't anger me as I don't really feel the need now to watch the news on TV and don't buy newspapers.
What did annoy me last night though was on Sportsound pre match where we got an interview with Neil Lennon consisting of a wee bit about the Kilmarnock game then the rest of interview was about Celtic. I'd happily pay more for a licence fee if they got shot of Brian McLauchlin.

Jim44
01-11-2017, 08:15 AM
On the Radio 2 sports news this morning, the Champions League was the main focus, but they ended up with ‘and in Scotland, Hibernian moved to third in the Scottish Premiership’.

stonewaller1875
01-11-2017, 08:16 AM
The answer is simple. Don't pay for this outdated licence. I stopped paying for it after the disgraceful bias in the BBC reporting of the independence referendum.Aye but your skint [emoji6]

Lancs Harp
01-11-2017, 08:23 AM
Such insight.

The BBC is a shambles. I like their sport coverage and some of the other radio output, but BBC tv is a disgrace.

I would agree about the Beebs radio output but its TV sports coverage is shocking and bordering on existent being unable to compete with the Skys and BT sports of this world. Good for documentaries and period dramas if they float your boat but offer me little else at least. Their funding needs a serious rethink.

Real Emerald
01-11-2017, 08:48 AM

They didn’t give one mention to either the game or result of the derby on last Wednesday’s sport on Reporting Scotland, absolutely nothing. If there had been an old firm hate fest the previous evening do you think they may have acknowledged it? It’s absolutely ridiculous that a capital city’s sold out local derby can go ahead and the sports report on Reporting Scotland completely ignore it the following evening.

CockneyRebel
01-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Such insight.

I agree that the BBC, as a so called public institution, should give a more localised flavour to their reporting, especially the channel laughingly called BBC Scotland, but on my club's football forum I would prefer to discuss football rather than someone sulking over the referendum.

WhileTheChief..
01-11-2017, 10:38 AM
Come on, let's be fair: on sportsound, they did give a cursory mention of the Hibs game. Indeed, they briefly interrupted their slavering preview of the Septic game to interview Neil Lennon... and promptly asked him all about the Septic game. It was astonishing. And even though I am fast becoming Lennon's no. 1 fan, I do wish he wouldn't humour this nonsense, and instead point out the focus should be on his own team, Hibs.

I listened after the game and Lennon wasn’t asked about and didn’t mention Celtic at all.

greenlex
01-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Reported on every bulletin on radio 5 live throughout the night.

WeeRussell
01-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Interestingly your two point are contradictory. You complain that the BBC is West coast centric, implying they pander to Glasgow and the surrounding areas but also that you can't forgive the coverage of the 2014 referendum coverage however 4 regions voted No, 3 of which were in the west coast (Glasgow, North Lanarkshire and West Dumbartonshire).

I actually don't find the coverage to have a massive west coast bias, I live in Glasgow area and I find I get as much info about the rest of the country as I do the local area. Yes there is more coverage for the two Glasgow teams but that just pandering to their larger fan bases, much of which isn't based in Glasgow either. Just look at the swathes of buses that travel from around the country every weekend to watch them. I'm not saying it right teams outside of the old firm don't get coverage obviously, I was as frustrated as anyone as I couldn't make the game last night but I don't think it's West coast bias that caused that, just lazy journalism which is endemic throughout our media.

That's an incredibly poor example of a contradiction.

Golden Bear
01-11-2017, 11:25 AM
If it is going to be politics - and particularly if it is going to be revisiting what was a very divisive referendum - it is best kept on the Holy Ground.

Well said.

The Harp Awakes
01-11-2017, 11:58 AM

Fair enough. The OP's point was about the imbalance in the BBC's coverage of last night's football. I responded on that point but added that the BBC's imbalance/impartiality is wider than football IMO.

The Harp Awakes
01-11-2017, 12:06 PM
I agree that the BBC, as a so called public institution, should give a more localised flavour to their reporting, especially the channel laughingly called BBC Scotland, but on my club's football forum I would prefer to discuss football rather than someone sulking over the referendum.

Not sulking, fellow Hibee. Still a bit annoyed yes, as the BBC hold themselves up as an example of impartiality, where BBC Scotland (TV) are certainly not. I actually agree with others view that BBC radio is much better, particularly on their coverage of Scottish football.

mcohibs
01-11-2017, 12:36 PM

That is the exact opposite of a contradiction.

hhibs
01-11-2017, 12:43 PM

How witty !

Cat Stanton
01-11-2017, 12:50 PM
I listened after the game and Lennon wasn’t asked about and didn’t mention Celtic at all.

It was before the game.

One Day Soon
01-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Fair enough. The OP's point was about the imbalance in the BBC's coverage of last night's football. I responded on that point but added that the BBC's imbalance/impartiality is wider than football IMO.

Wasn't trying to have a go at you THA. I'm just conscious that there's no real halfway ground on that issue since those with views tend to have very strong views, me included.

Actually this morning on GMS they did the Celtc game and then cut away to a decent short piece on Hibs and NL's comments after the Killie game.

CMurdoch
01-11-2017, 12:51 PM
Coverage of Scottish football on BBC is poor other than Alba but their radio coverage is the best out there by a country mile. BBC 6 music is the best music radio channel. Their iplayer service is good and you can go to a load of free shows at the BBC throughout the year. They are still the best for quality and value.

BT provide good Scottish football coverage but it comes with a big price tag and along with Sky has made our football clubs the very poor relations to our English neighbors.

As for other non pay for view coverage of Scottish football think you are looking at amateur weegie centric crap like Peter & Roughie. Lame in the extreme.

Bashing BBC Scotland is plain daft.

Kato
01-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Bashing BBC Scotland is plain daft.

Maybe so.

But their TV Sports News editorial policy is very consistent and totally stinks. Also cast your memory back to the way Hibs' Scottish Cup win was treated by BBC Scotland News programmes - 99% lies and exaggerations based on nonsense the likes of Chick Young said he saw.

NAE NOOKIE
01-11-2017, 01:08 PM

Never mind from a political point of view ..... every night we get Jackie Burd with a drab backdrop of a rusting crane and the highly unspectacular lower reaches of the river Clyde ( why DO you never ever see a boat on it ) when 40 miles across the country you have one of Europe's, if not the worlds, most spectacular and iconic backdrops.

Its a fact that the reporting of results outwith the OF on the news is at best sporadic .... and their lukewarm reporting of the Edinburgh derby is particularly annoying considering its the 2nd biggest game on the fixture list crowd wise. BBC Television in Scotland is only saved by ALBA's excellent coverage, not so much in the actual camerawork, but in the overall presentation which works hard to give viewers a bit of background to the teams and players .... it helps that none of the coaches or players speak Gaelic :greengrin

What does get on my tits is the fact that when the game is scrambling about looking for good news stories the incredible upturn in crowds at Easter Road and Edinburgh in general, with combined crowds in excess of 35,000 watching the two biggest clubs every fortnight, isn't made more of.

CockneyRebel
01-11-2017, 02:54 PM
How witty !

Thanks - I do try

grammyb111
01-11-2017, 02:59 PM
They've got a tiny segment to do the news and sport, our game was less important than the Celtic one therefore it wasn't mentioned? Don't see the issue...

stonewaller1875
01-11-2017, 03:03 PM
They've got a tiny segment to do the news and sport, our game was less important than the Celtic one therefore it wasn't mentioned? Don't see the issue...Missing the point, it would've taken 30 seconds to mention the scoreline , **** the Biased Broadcasting Corporation [emoji867]

Bishop Hibee
01-11-2017, 03:10 PM
I’ve no problem with Celtc being the main headline but give the Hibs score a mention at least. What I really can’t stand is Good Morning Scotland giving reports of games involving English teams before Scottish ones. Who cares and those who do have the details already in the digital age.

Golden Bear
01-11-2017, 03:48 PM
I’ve no problem with Celtc being the main headline but give the Hibs score a mention at least. What I really can’t stand is Good Morning Scotland giving reports of games involving English teams before Scottish ones. Who cares and those who do have the details already in the digital age.

Yip. In the early morning sports bulletin Bury got a mention but not Hibs.

Tomsk
01-11-2017, 04:46 PM
BBC Scotland treats everywhere in Scotland outside Glasgow as a foreign country. Its wall-to-wall coverage of Celtic and Rangers is just yet another example of its Glasgow-centric obsessions.

Golden Bear
01-11-2017, 04:49 PM
BBC Scotland treats everywhere in Scotland outside Glasgow as a foreign country. Its wall-to-wall coverage of Celtic and Rangers is just yet another example of its Glasgow-centric obsessions.

More so the Radio than the TV I'd say.

Beefster
01-11-2017, 04:53 PM
The real issue here is that everyone of us is made to pay for the BBC.

Including Forfar and Peterhead supporters. Do you think they get hung up on whether someone reading an autocue mentions them or not?

GreenOnions
01-11-2017, 04:54 PM

... and you think this would change in an independent Scotland I presume? :confused:

greenlex
01-11-2017, 04:59 PM
More so the Radio than the TV I'd say.

Yet Stuart Cosgrove and his sidekick love to call the old firm the provincial clubs that they are.

Golden Bear
01-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Yet Stuart Cosgrove and his sidekick love to call the old firm the provincial clubs that they are.

Of course they are, "outwith the Capital" is the definition of provincial I think. I was thinking more of the non sports news, BBC Scotland do concentrate on the west central belt for their coverage.

Keith_M
01-11-2017, 05:06 PM

I noticed that as well.

I realise it's not as glamorous as a Champions League match but they could surely have even just given the score.

Keith_M
01-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Including Forfar and Peterhead supporters. Do you think they get hung up on whether someone reading an autocue mentions them or not?

If one of their clubs had just moved into 3rd place in the premier league then I'd imagine so, yes.

Beefster
01-11-2017, 05:28 PM
If one of their clubs had just moved into 3rd place in the premier league then I'd imagine so, yes.

I was responding the ‘real issue’ being that we pay for the BBC. Our position in the league isn’t relevant to that point.

WhileTheChief..
01-11-2017, 05:40 PM
One of the pundits on Sportsound, can’t remember who, said that if you’re a neutral you should get along to watch Hibs as the football were playing is fantastic.

Richard Gordon et al were gushing with praise for us for our last 3 results, drooling over McGinn and McGeough and thought we were the 2nd best footballing side in the country.

Doesn’t make for as good a thread as bashing the Beeb though!

vuefrom1875
01-11-2017, 06:29 PM
Never mind from a political point of view ..... every night we get Jackie Burd with a drab backdrop of a rusting crane and the highly unspectacular lower reaches of the river Clyde ( why DO you never ever see a boat on it ) when 40 miles across the country you have one of Europe's, if not the worlds, most spectacular and iconic backdrops.

Its a fact that the reporting of results outwith the OF on the news is at best sporadic .... and their lukewarm reporting of the Edinburgh derby is particularly annoying considering its the 2nd biggest game on the fixture list crowd wise. BBC Television in Scotland is only saved by ALBA's excellent coverage, not so much in the actual camerawork, but in the overall presentation which works hard to give viewers a bit of background to the teams and players .... it helps that none of the coaches or players speak Gaelic :greengrin

What does get on my tits is the fact that when the game is scrambling about looking for good news stories the incredible upturn in crowds at Easter Road and Edinburgh in general, with combined crowds in excess of 35,000 watching the two biggest clubs every fortnight, isn't made more of.

Would not expect anything more from B.B.C. Weggie Scotland.Bias to the core.Did some weggie politician,a few years ago, put forward a notion that Glasgow should become the capital of Scotland?.I rest my case.

Tornadoes70
01-11-2017, 06:42 PM
One of the pundits on Sportsound, can’t remember who, said that if you’re a neutral you should get along to watch Hibs as the football were playing is fantastic.

Richard Gordon et al were gushing with praise for us for our last 3 results, drooling over McGinn and McGeough and thought we were the 2nd best footballing side in the country.

Think it was Steven Thompson on Saturday if I remember rightly. He's been really good lately at talking us and SJM up along with Michael Stewart who never misses 'any excuse will do' Levein.

Edit - It was indeed Tam Cowan who said it. Apologies - My memory aint what it used to be sometimes.

GGTTH

SirDavidsNapper
01-11-2017, 06:56 PM

Tam Cowan said it on Off The Ball. Was full of praise for us after the Motherwell game.

SouthMoroccoStu
01-11-2017, 07:02 PM

So if Killie were playing the Rangers it wouldn't have been mentioned?!

The Harp Awakes
01-11-2017, 07:09 PM
Wasn't trying to have a go at you THA. I'm just conscious that there's no real halfway ground on that issue since those with views tend to have very strong views, me included.

Actually this morning on GMS they did the Celtc game and then cut away to a decent short piece on Hibs and NL's comments after the Killie game.

No worries ODS. Your point was well made.

cabbageandribs1875
01-11-2017, 07:19 PM

and aint that a fact, well said

Sammy7nil
01-11-2017, 07:21 PM

Yes he was I thought it was Hugely disrespectful

Sammy7nil
01-11-2017, 07:22 PM
and aint that a fact, well said

:greengrin :wink:

Tinribs
01-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Didn't we get the England game live while Scotland's most important game in years wasn't shown? I don't really follow international stuff anymore, but it did strike me as odd.

andybev1
01-11-2017, 07:36 PM

Simple answer, the BBC and national stdium in Edinburgh!

Ryan91
01-11-2017, 07:53 PM
Didn't we get the England game live while Scotland's most important game in years wasn't shown? I don't really follow international stuff anymore, but it did strike me as odd.

The SFA sold the rights to Scotland games to Sky. I believe the English FA gave the rights to England games to ITV.

heretoday
01-11-2017, 08:35 PM
STV had a fair bit of coverage from the game on their 6pm programme, which is Edinburgh-based.

ekhibee
01-11-2017, 08:39 PM

Glasgow voted Yes overwhelmingly, not No as you said, but I know what you're saying and agree with most of it too.

Tinribs
02-11-2017, 05:46 AM
The SFA sold the rights to Scotland games to Sky. I believe the English FA gave the rights to England games to ITV.

Ah, fair enough. They did seem to find the money to do a last minute deal to show the under 17 world cup final recently, I think BT/ESPN had the rights to that.

seanshow
02-11-2017, 10:13 AM
I watch American football occasionally and did notice the coverage the bbc are giving to that due to nfl games in London is quite substantial, for example the studio set up for their highlights show is pretty lush with big analysis screen and such.
It did make me wonder, It would be great to see what portion of the bbc budget is being spent on scottish football and compare it to that of other foreign or minority sports.
and it wouldn't surprise me if the coverage of our national game in scotland is lower in the food chain than that of american egg chasing.

Onceinawhile
02-11-2017, 11:53 AM

No. Eufa sold them. Sfa and fa have almost nothing to do with it.

norhfc
02-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Gary Liniker gets paid more than the whole Scottish football budget at BBC.
Does anyone really think that is fair, nothing against Gary btw.

CropleyWasGod
02-11-2017, 12:29 PM
Gary Liniker gets paid more than the whole Scottish football budget at BBC.
Does anyone really think that is fair, nothing against Gary btw.

I know GL gets about £2m.

What's the BBC's budget?

norhfc
02-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Found this

http://archive.is/BiTC3

CropleyWasGod
02-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Found this

http://archive.is/BiTC3

Thanks.

That £1m is the cost of the rights for SPFL games.

You have to factor in the costs of the SFA games as well.

And the BBC's production costs. (Kris Boyd eats a lot)

Still very low, though. But it has to be said that it's not all the BBC's fault. You have to look at the SPFL and SFA as well; they're an active part of the negotiating process.

MrSmith
02-11-2017, 02:17 PM

The BBC needs to deliver an appropriate service to every area where an individual pays for their licence fee. Right now, they fail in delivering this.

https://lenathehyena.wordpress.com/2014/08/29/oh-what-a-tangled-web-we-weave-when-first-we-practice-to-deceive-bbc-scotland-and-the-labour-party/