PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Killie 31st October)

Jonnyboy
31-10-2017, 11:33 PM
What a strange game at Rugby Park tonight. We didn’t appear to play as well as we have done in recent matches and yet we ran out 3-0 winners and hoisted ourselves up to third place in the league. Three wins and no goals conceded set Neil Lennon a welcome conundrum in that Stokesy will be fit to start on Saturday but the results without him have gone swimmingly.
Prior to entering Rugby Park I was both surprised and delighted to find a guy selling the Killie fanzine! I honestly thought the internet had consigned fanzines to history and I know I’ll enjoy reading this one, given my role in a previous life as editor of Mass Hibsteria. Inside the stadium came a second delight when I purchased, ate and enjoyed a famous Killie pie.

To the game itself now – Hibs started in lively fashion and it became apparent early on that new Killie boss Steve Clark had watched us and determined that we had two very quick wingmen. Clark set his defence up to counter that by doubling up cover whenever Boyle or Barker had the ball. That tactic worked better on our left than it did on Boyle’s side and it was good combination work involving Boyler and David Gray that allowed the latter to swing a cross into the box where McGinn’s forehead met the ball flush on to beat Jamie MacDonald all ends up. That goal came in the tenth minute and Hibs were soon attacking again but a poorly taken corner kick allowed Killie to break at pace through Jordan Jones who was a thorn in our side all night. As Jones broke he raced away with Lewis Stevenson at his side and as the Killie man got into the Hibs penalty area, Lewis timed his tackle to perfection in steering the ball behind for a corner. To me, that little phase of play summed Lewis up perfectly in confirming just how good a defender he is.

Another corner to Hibs should have resulted in the lead being doubled but David Gray’s unchallenged attempt hit the post and was cleared to safety. That seemed to galvanise Killie and they hit the frame of the goal twice when Rory Mackenzie’s shot from range hit the outside of the post and then, soon after, Kris Boyd’s header crashed off the crossbar. With the clock winding down to half time it was the hosts that enjoyed the better possession and their fans were left raging when the inept Stephen Finnie stopped play for a free kick when Killie were breaking away down the park. I know there are some who feel that ref’s are ‘out to get us’ but I don’t subscribe to that view, feeling instead that some of them are just not very good at their job – Finnie being high on that list.

Killie started the second half well and only a point blank save by Rocky stopped Boyd from equalising. In fact, Rocky made four or five excellent saves during the game and was as instrumental in us winning the three points as our goal scorers were. Both Boyd and Jones were denied by the Israeli as Killie piled on the pressure. Just when Hibs needed it most the pressure was relieved by the scoring of a second quite excellent goal. Barker twisted and turned in wrong footing a couple of defenders before laying the ball to McGinn. SJM’s ball to the back post was perfect and the advancing David Gray fired it straight across the six yard box for the waiting Murray to slam it home. It has to be said that the goal was against the run of play but it was a peach nonetheless.

A penalty claim was rightly waved aside after Stevenson downed McKenzie near the edge of the box and not long after that Hibs finally sealed the points with a third goal courtesy of Martin Boyle. Squirrel won the ball about thirty yards out, rushed past a defender and drew MacDonald from his line before stroking the ball home.

Over the piece I felt we earned our win but I’m convinced that if Killie play like that every week they need not fear relegation. Jordan Jones was outstanding and they were well served by Alan Power and the young substitute Frizzell. As we were leaving the game we discussed why Hibs felt they could allow Killie so much of the ball and theorised that this Hibs team is so confident in its own ability that being out of possession is not a worry. If that’s true then Hibs are once again a different beast from that which was relegated. One other point of interest was the willingness of our players to put their bodies on the line in blocking shots at goal. There were loads and those that did get through were dealt with brilliantly by Rocky.

The players

Rocky – an Israeli international and proved why in spades tonight. Numerous excellent saves and fearless in coming for and collecting crosses he earned my man of the match award.

SDG – Whitty must be worried because David was his old self tonight. Up and down the line and excellent both defending and attacking, his two assists are also worth noting again.

Efe – As solid as a rock, whilst remaining both graceful and unhurried in possession. As ever there was a ‘moment’ but I’m getting less stressed about them now!

Paul Hanlon – had to wrestle with Boyd a few times but I felt Paul always had the upper hand in that duel.

Lewis – that challenge was top notch, as was his defending throughout. The wee man looks much happier concentrating on being a defender though he still gets forward when the chance arises.

Boyler – got a lot of chances to create in the first half and played a pivotal role in our opener as well as getting the third goal.

Dylan – I thought he was strangely subdued tonight and was a bit surprised he was left on for the full ninety minutes. It’s possible the surface didn’t suit him as there was less driving forward than of late.

SJM – flitted in and out of the game a bit but took his goal really well. Pinged a few cracking passes, including long diagonal ones that found their man more often than not. Went off injured near the end and I hope it’s nothing too serious.

Marv – As good as he was at Fir Park I felt Marv was largely anonymous tonight as the game seemed to pass him by a lot of the time.

Brandon Barker – Another who flitted in and out of the game, he was guilty of playing too close to Lewis when he should have been going beyond their full back and offering himself for a pass.

Simon – Works his socks off and gave both Greer and Broadfoot a few worrying times. Anticipated the ball from David Gray in positioning himself perfectly for the second goal.

Ryan Porteous – whenever Steve Clarke introduced Lee Erwin into the fray, Lenny reacted immediately by having Ryan bolster the centre of the defence. The laddie did well and was hugely unlucky when booked by the inept Stephen Finnie.

Slivka – came on to replace McGinn but there was so little time left he hardly got the chance to get involved.

Big Dave – got even less time than Slivka and consequently was even less involved.

The fans – almost 1,000 of us made the trip and were rewarded for getting behind the team. I don’t think the 1875 crew were there tonight so not as much singing as usual.

The referee – Stephen Finnie was quite simply hopeless. He is very guilty of missing the obvious – as in Marvin’s hand ball – but punishing the innocuous – as in the booking of Porteous. I hope we don’t have to suffer him again any time soon.

The pies – yum!

greenlex
31-10-2017, 11:39 PM
Guid.

Aubenas
31-10-2017, 11:56 PM
Fine and accurate summary, Johnny. For 20 mins it looked like a training match for Hibs - but then we took the foot off the gas. Thought the team looked a bit tired mentally, though, despite the woodwork adventures, I never really worried that Killie would mount a full comeback. It was reminiscent of Celtic performances twenty odd years ago - when they'd come to Easter Rd, not play particularly well, but still emerge as victors. There was a sort of inevitability about it, no matter how Hibs played. That wouldn't be a bad habit for the current Hibs to get into!

And yes - the pies better than ever.

And well done the 918 fans for making the trip despite the traffic jam that is the M8:agree:

scoopyboy
31-10-2017, 11:57 PM
What a strange game at Rugby Park tonight. We didn’t appear to play as well as we have done in recent matches and yet we ran out 3-0 winners and hoisted ourselves up to third place in the league. Three wins and no goals conceded set Neil Lennon a welcome conundrum in that Stokesy will be fit to start on Saturday but the results without him have gone swimmingly.
Prior to entering Rugby Park I was both surprised and delighted to find a guy selling the Killie fanzine! I honestly thought the internet had consigned fanzines to history and I know I’ll enjoy reading this one, given my role in a previous life as editor of Mass Hibsteria. Inside the stadium came a second delight when I purchased, ate and enjoyed a famous Killie pie.

To the game itself now – Hibs started in lively fashion and it became apparent early on that new Killie boss Steve Clark had watched us and determined that we had two very quick wingmen. Clark set his defence up to counter that by doubling up cover whenever Boyle or Barker had the ball. That tactic worked better on our left than it did on Boyle’s side and it was good combination work involving Boyler and David Gray that allowed the latter to swing a cross into the box where McGinn’s forehead met the ball flush on to beat Jamie MacDonald all ends up. That goal came in the tenth minute and Hibs were soon attacking again but a poorly taken corner kick allowed Killie to break at pace through Jordan Jones who was a thorn in our side all night. As Jones broke he raced away with Lewis Stevenson at his side and as the Killie man got into the Hibs penalty area, Lewis timed his tackle to perfection in steering the ball behind for a corner. To me, that little phase of play summed Lewis up perfectly in confirming just how good a defender he is.

Another corner to Hibs should have resulted in the lead being doubled but David Gray’s unchallenged attempt hit the post and was cleared to safety. That seemed to galvanise Killie and they hit the frame of the goal twice when Rory Mackenzie’s shot from range hit the outside of the post and then, soon after, Kris Boyd’s header crashed off the crossbar. With the clock winding down to half time it was the hosts that enjoyed the better possession and their fans were left raging when the inept Stephen Finnie stopped play for a free kick when Killie were breaking away down the park. I know there are some who feel that ref’s are ‘out to get us’ but I don’t subscribe to that view, feeling instead that some of them are just not very good at their job – Finnie being high on that list.

Killie started the second half well and only a point blank save by Rocky stopped Boyd from equalising. In fact, Rocky made four or five excellent saves during the game and was as instrumental in us winning the three points as our goal scorers were. Both Boyd and Jones were denied by the Israeli as Killie piled on the pressure. Just when Hibs needed it most the pressure was relieved by the scoring of a second quite excellent goal. Barker twisted and turned in wrong footing a couple of defenders before laying the ball to McGinn. SJM’s ball to the back post was perfect and the advancing David Gray fired it straight across the six yard box for the waiting Murray to slam it home. It has to be said that the goal was against the run of play but it was a peach nonetheless.

A penalty claim was rightly waved aside after Stevenson downed McKenzie near the edge of the box and not long after that Hibs finally sealed the points with a third goal courtesy of Martin Boyle. Squirrel won the ball about thirty yards out, rushed past a defender and drew MacDonald from his line before stroking the ball home.

Over the piece I felt we earned our win but I’m convinced that if Killie play like that every week they need not fear relegation. Jordan Jones was outstanding and they were well served by Alan Power and the young substitute Frizzell. As we were leaving the game we discussed why Hibs felt they could allow Killie so much of the ball and theorised that this Hibs team is so confident in its own ability that being out of possession is not a worry. If that’s true then Hibs are once again a different beast from that which was relegated. One other point of interest was the willingness of our players to put their bodies on the line in blocking shots at goal. There were loads and those that did get through were dealt with brilliantly by Rocky.

The players

Rocky – an Israeli international and proved why in spades tonight. Numerous excellent saves and fearless in coming for and collecting crosses he earned my man of the match award.

SDG – Whitty must be worried because David was his old self tonight. Up and down the line and excellent both defending and attacking, his two assists are also worth noting again.

Efe – As solid as a rock, whilst remaining both graceful and unhurried in possession. As ever there was a ‘moment’ but I’m getting less stressed about them now!

Paul Hanlon – had to wrestle with Boyd a few times but I felt Paul always had the upper hand in that duel.

Lewis – that challenge was top notch, as was his defending throughout. The wee man looks much happier concentrating on being a defender though he still gets forward when the chance arises.

Boyler – got a lot of chances to create in the first half and played a pivotal role in our opener as well as getting the third goal.

Dylan – I thought he was strangely subdued tonight and was a bit surprised he was left on for the full ninety minutes. It’s possible the surface didn’t suit him as there was less driving forward than of late.

SJM – flitted in and out of the game a bit but took his goal really well. Pinged a few cracking passes, including long diagonal ones that found their man more often than not. Went off injured near the end and I hope it’s nothing too serious.

Marv – As good as he was at Fir Park I felt Marv was largely anonymous tonight as the game seemed to pass him by a lot of the time.

Brandon Barker – Another who flitted in and out of the game, he was guilty of playing too close to Lewis when he should have been going beyond their full back and offering himself for a pass.

Simon – Works his socks off and gave both Greer and Broadfoot a few worrying times. Anticipated the ball from David Gray in positioning himself perfectly for the second goal.

Ryan Porteous – whenever Steve Clarke introduced Lee Erwin into the fray, Lenny reacted immediately by having Ryan bolster the centre of the defence. The laddie did well and was hugely unlucky when booked by the inept Stephen Finnie.

Slivka – came on to replace McGinn but there was so little time left he hardly got the chance to get involved.

Big Dave – got even less time than Slivka and consequently was even less involved.

The fans – almost 1,000 of us made the trip and were rewarded for getting behind the team. I don’t think the 1875 crew were there tonight so not as much singing as usual.

The referee – Stephen Finnie was quite simply hopeless. He is very guilty of missing the obvious – as in Marvin’s hand ball – but punishing the innocuous – as in the booking of Porteous. I hope we don’t have to suffer him again any time soon.

The pies – yum!

I think McGinn, McGeouch and Bartley struggled with the pitch.

BroxburnHibee
01-11-2017, 12:32 AM
Cheers John. I'm not sure the 'Big Marv' role is needed in these games.

IrnBru22
01-11-2017, 12:49 AM

The players

The pies – yum!

Agree with most of it apart from i thought Killie should've had a penalty as the stevenson foul was just inside the box also Slivka set up the 3rd goal by winning a header around the half way line.

cabbageandribs1875
01-11-2017, 01:23 AM
both the hibs tv guys and the killie manager reckoned the lewis stevenson tackle was bang on the line...and if it's on the line it's a penalty...will be a bit clearer if there's any video at all ? not that it matters right enough as they can't get a retrospective penalty :greengrin

Doh Rae Me
01-11-2017, 03:32 AM
Thanks.
Was looking forward to reading it this morning.

hibbydog
01-11-2017, 04:54 AM
Enjoy your summaries sir, keep them coming

soupernashwan
01-11-2017, 05:31 AM
Thanks for this, always look forward to your match reports. Hadn't heard about McGinn injury - Lennon mentioned concern about squad thinness after the match so hopefully it's not serious.

Kojock
01-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Having read all your summaries JC I only have one question, Is Lewis Stevenson your secret love child?? 😂

Another good read, thanks John.

dangermouse
01-11-2017, 07:58 AM
Couldn't make the game last night. Read a post on Facebook from a Killie fan who said the best team lost. Jonnyboy's post sort of fits in with that.

Interestingly I have an app on my phone (futbol24 I think) that notified a goal for Killie that was subsequently cancelled. Can't remember what time it was at but it would have made the score 1-1. Anyone any ideas what this was?

Killiehibbie
01-11-2017, 08:04 AM
Couldn't make the game last night. Read a post on Facebook from a Killie fan who said the best team lost. Jonnyboy's post sort of fits in with that.

Interestingly I have an app on my phone (futbol24 I think) that notified a goal for Killie that was subsequently cancelled. Can't remember what time it was at but it would have made the score 1-1. Anyone any ideas what this was?Some fine saves and the woodward was hit a couple of times but looks like they updated wrong game or something like that.

Arch Stanton
01-11-2017, 08:05 AM
Wow - posted at 12.33am - I admire and appreciate your dedication - always a good read.

Ronniekirk
01-11-2017, 08:33 AM
Having read all your summaries JC I only have one question, Is Lewis Stevenson your secret love child?? [emoji23]

Thought lewis was immense at times last night His tracking back and tackle in jones saved a goal and his team mates rightly showed their appreciation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronniekirk
01-11-2017, 08:38 AM

Interestingly I have an app on my phone (futbol24 I think) that notified a goal for Killie that was subsequently cancelled. Can't remember what time it was at but it would have made the score 1-1. Anyone any ideas what this was?

Nonsense Yes Clarke has them playing better and they defended well and harassed us high up the pitch and we got some rubs of green for s change
But we deserved to win although maybe 3. 0 was a bit harsh on them

Carheenlea
01-11-2017, 08:54 AM

It's worth remembering that some of Marvin's poorer performances for Hibs have been on plastic pitches. He has been immense in recent weeks, but while his game wasn't up with those high standards he's been setting, I thought he was fine.

Onceinawhile
01-11-2017, 09:11 AM

I think it was the boyd header that hit the bar and came back down. My app did it too.

renato
01-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Nonsense Yes Clarke has them playing better and they defended well and harassed us high up the pitch and we got some rubs of green for s change

Yep, the better team won, no doubt about that. The score line was indeed a little flattering though.

I may have missed it being mentioned elsewhere but did anyone hear Steve Clarke’s post match interview, in between the Celtc love in? No credit whatsoever to us, our great start was simply down to them being knackered.

Obviously we had a massive advantage then, Steve, given our 4 games in 10 days meant we weren’t completely gubbed...

Ronniekirk
01-11-2017, 09:17 AM
Yep, the better team won, no doubt about that. The score line was indeed a little flattering though.

I may have missed it being mentioned elsewhere but did anyone hear Steve Clarke’s post match interview, in between the Celtc love in? No credit whatsoever to us, our great start was simply down to them being knackered.

Obviously we had a massive advantage then, Steve, given our 4 games in 10 days meant we weren’t completely gubbed...

We looked tired and some players clearly carrying knocks Dylan looked perplexed when S J M went off he thought he was going off
One or two may need a rest for Dundee game

Agree that Celtic love in was over the top They just kept repeating the same stuff over and over again Gave up waiting on Lennon s Interview

--------
01-11-2017, 09:22 AM

The players

The pies – yum!

Jings! Dork Clubfoot's still around, is he? He must be about 90 years old by now. In a list of "Defenders I'd like to see marking Simon Murray" old Dork's well up to the towards Number One.

Thanks for the analysis, John - BBC Weedge didn't get around to mentioning us on the News (too taken up with Celtic's latest Euro triumph) and I was beginning to wonder whether this might have been The Game That Never Was.

You'll never make a sports journo, though - too much solid fact, not nearly enough blind fanaticism and bilious hatred for the Glasgow/Scottish market.

I agree with you about the referees - it's not so much dishonesty as basic incompetence. The standard's appalling.

JeMeSouviens
01-11-2017, 09:38 AM
We looked tired and some players clearly carrying knocks Dylan looked perplexed when S J M went off he thought he was going off
One or two may need a rest for Dundee game

Agree that Celtic love in was over the top They just kept repeating the same stuff over and over again Gave up waiting on Lennon s Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph_BOxDE0L0

worcesterhibby
01-11-2017, 09:39 AM
Honest question...with the numbers attending Easter Road, the feel good around the club and the appetite for an alternative to the MSM, don't you think there now is a place for the re-brith of a printed fanzine for Hibs...maybe once a month ?

Billy Whizz
01-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Excellent report as always Jonnyboy. Never felt comfortable even at
2-0. Hibs started well, got ahead, and I really thought we’d go on and make it a comfortable evening. Was in the end thought
Killie played well, pressed us really high, what we’ve been doing to other teams. Rocky played well, and kept us ahead with some good saves, but we also rode our luck
Really pleased to see Gray make a contribution, must have been frustrating for him to be on the bench
Terrific turn out from Hibs fans on a Tuesday. Take the3 points and move onto Saturday

flash
01-11-2017, 10:02 AM

I reckon we need him every week. He allows the rest to play.

G B Young
01-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Interesting to hear the Killie fans chanting in support of their team even after we went 3-0 up. I'm guessing they must have been encouraged by their performance despite the scoreline?

Here's hoping they can put away some of their chances against Hearts at the weekend and really pile on the misery for the yams.

worcesterhibby
01-11-2017, 10:06 AM
As Jones broke he raced away with Lewis Stevenson at his side and as the Killie man got into the Hibs penalty area, Lewis timed his tackle to perfection in steering the ball behind for a corner. To me, that little phase of play summed Lewis up perfectly in confirming just how good a defender he is.

I've watched the clip of Lewis doing this about 8 times on Hibs TV (from about 3.25sec on highlights) it's even better than the goals and absolutely sums him up as a player.

My_Wife_Camille
01-11-2017, 10:22 AM
I’m not understanding this ‘best team lost’ nonsense.

At best the score line was a bit harsh on Killies efforts but the team who created the better chances, had the better goalkeeper and the better finishers won the game.

They had a lot of shots from around the edge of the box that never really troubled us and did nothing apart from boost their ‘shots on goal’ stats. They only real clear cut chances they had were poorer versions of the goals we actually scored.

Everything about McGinns goal was better than Boyds chance that hit the bar and everything about Murray’s goal was better than Boyds chance that Marciano saved. Apart from anything, Boyd clearly fouls Hanlon in the build up to that chance. If he hadn’t pushed him over Hanlon would have dealt with it comfortably.

Killie reminded me of us in Butchers first 6 or 7 games. High energy, loads of long balls and crosses and a shoot on sight policy. They’ll pump hearts on Saturday but they still lack the quality to finish anywhere near the top 6

Maybe we didn’t quite deserve to win by 3 clear goals but there’s no chance Killie deserved to win by even 1.

Jones28
01-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Good account Jb, I wasn't sure about our midfield last night. Maybe a combination of a crap surface, tired legs and a revitalised Killie but for some reason we didn't really get close to them for big parts of the game.

Rocky MOTM 9/10 some really top saves
Gray 8/10 2 assists and worked tirelessly
Hanlon 8/10 solid and really displayed his range of passing
Ambrose 8/10 good clearances, committed as hell and showed class at times too
Lewis 9/10 same as the others but that tackle in the first half was top drawer and saved a certain shot on goal

Boyle 8/10 great finish and worked as hard as ever
Mcgeouch 6/10 looked absolutely knackered - maybe didn't want to over commit on that surface given his injury problems
Bartley 6/10 similar to mcgeouch, looked off the pace and was turned more times than I can remember
McGinn 8/10 great goal and looked the liveliest of the 3, still not his usual self
Barker 5/10 was a waste of a jersey for me, he's clearly talented when on the ball but when off it he looks lost - similar to Motherwell performance.

Murray 8/10 - worked so hard, scored and ran the channels brilliantly.

dangermouse
01-11-2017, 11:11 AM

I’m not understanding this ‘best team lost’ nonsense.

At best the score line was a bit harsh on Killies efforts but the team who created the better chances, had the better goalkeeper and the better finishers won the game.

They had a lot of shots from around the edge of the box that never really troubled us and did nothing apart from boost their ‘shots on goal’ stats. They only real clear cut chances they had were poorer versions of the goals we actually scored.

Everything about McGinns goal was better than Boyds chance that hit the bar and everything about Murray’s goal was better than Boyds chance that Marciano saved. Apart from anything, Boyd clearly fouls Hanlon in the build up to that chance. If he hadn’t pushed him over Hanlon would have dealt with it comfortably.

Killie reminded me of us in Butchers first 6 or 7 games. High energy, loads of long balls and crosses and a shoot on sight policy. They’ll pump hearts on Saturday but they still lack the quality to finish anywhere near the top 6

Maybe we didn’t quite deserve to win by 3 clear goals but there’s no chance Killie deserved to win by even 1.

I never said we weren't the better team I was just quoting a Killie fan who thought they were the better team. Anyway, onwards and upwards, bring on Dundee although I'm looking forward to the game against Ross County more than anything as my son got me a full hospitality package for my Christmas :greengrin

CallumLaidlaw
01-11-2017, 11:19 AM
one Killie fan on twitter said we are the most overrated team in the league!! :confused:
Aside the fact we're now 3rd, have drawn with the top side, lost narrowly to the 2nd side, beat 4th, beat and drew with 5th, drew away (and should've won) with 6th and comfortable beat 7th, I'd say we are more than deserved of our current position and praise.

Kojock
01-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Thought lewis was immense at times last night His tracking back and tackle in jones saved a goal and his team mates rightly showed their appreciation

Totally agree, 👍

Borderhibbie76
01-11-2017, 04:19 PM
one Killie fan on twitter said we are the most overrated team in the league!! :confused:
Aside the fact we're now 3rd, have drawn with the top side, lost narrowly to the 2nd side, beat 4th, beat and drew with 5th, drew away (and should've won) with 6th and comfortable beat 7th, I'd say we are more than deserved of our current position and praise.Outside of Edinburgh it doesn't feel like we are getting much praise tbh...barely merited a mention in the Celtic love in on sportsound last night and ignored completely on reporting Glasgow sorry Scotland this morning. Ps I'm happy for us to continue to quietly go about our business anyway

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

My_Wife_Camille
01-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Aside the fact we're now 3rd, have drawn with the top side, lost narrowly to the 2nd side, beat 4th, beat and drew with 5th, drew away (and should've won) with 6th and comfortable beat 7th, I'd say we are more than deserved of our current position and praise.

On the other hand Brendan Rodgers said we were the best team he's come up against domestically since he joined Celtic. Who to believe? The manager of a club who hasn't lost a single game in this country in a year and a half or some daft wee pube on twitter who probably goes to about 5 games a year.

In any case, Hibernian have picked up more points in the last 7 days than Kilmarnock have all season so the twitter goon can do one.

Jim44
01-11-2017, 04:57 PM

The players

The pies – yum!

Excellent report. Probably in a minority but I’m on the fence re. Killie pies. :greengrin

Elephant Stone
01-11-2017, 05:12 PM
On the other hand Brendan Rodgers said we were the best team he's come up against domestically since he joined Celtic. Who to believe? The manager of a club who hasn't lost a single game in this country in a year and a half or some daft wee pube on twitter who probably goes to about 5 games a year.

In any case, Hibernian have picked up more points in the last 7 days than Kilmarnock have all season so the twitter goon can do one.

:faf::hibees

Delboy4
01-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Excellent report as always Jonnyboy. Never felt comfortable even at
2-0. Hibs started well, got ahead, and I really thought we’d go on and make it a comfortable evening. Was in the end thought
Killie played well, pressed us really high, what we’ve been doing to other teams. Rocky played well, and kept us ahead with some good saves, but we also rode our luck
Really pleased to see Gray make a contribution, must have been frustrating for him to be on the bench
Terrific turn out from Hibs fans on a Tuesday. Take the3 points and move onto Saturday

We didn't lose a GOAL because I put a tenner on at half time when we were up 0-1 for 'Both Teams to Score' Evens money! You can see what I done, putting £10 on hopefully to lose!!!!!

Best tenner I've spent...

:wink::greengrin

Iggy Pope
01-11-2017, 05:27 PM

In saying that, Kris Boyd aside (just being a fat twat) the game was played pretty much as it should have been. Two sides that fancied the win making the best out of another abject refereeing performance.
And spot on again Jonnyboy. Accurate assessment. Hope wee Dylan has his feet up.

jingler1954
01-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Fine and accurate summary, Johnny. For 20 mins it looked like a training match for Hibs - but then we took the foot off the gas. Thought the team looked a bit tired mentally, though, despite the woodwork adventures, I never really worried that Killie would mount a full comeback. It was reminiscent of Celtic performances twenty odd years ago - when they'd come to Easter Rd, not play particularly well, but still emerge as victors. There was a sort of inevitability about it, no matter how Hibs played. That wouldn't be a bad habit for the current Hibs to get into!

And yes - the pies better than ever.

And well done the 918 fans for making the trip despite the traffic jam that is the M8:agree:

Northfield post office on Willowbrae Road sell Killie Pies.

cabbageandribs1875
01-11-2017, 05:37 PM
brownings bakers had to change the name of the 'killie pie' after a legal threat from the kilmarnock FC chairman, amusingly they rebranded the name of the pie to the 'kilmarnock pie' you can get the Brownings kilmarnock pies in Aldi stores :greengrin

just saying likes

Billy Whizz
01-11-2017, 05:39 PM
brownings bakers had to change the name of the 'killie pie' after a legal threat from the kilmarnock FC chairman, amusingly they rebranded the name of the pie to the 'kilmarnock pie' you can get the Brownings kilmarnock pies in Aldi stores :greengrin

just saying likes

The Killie Pie on sale last night, isn’t a patch on Brownings Killie Pie

Iggy Pope
01-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Northfield post office on Willowbrae Road sell Killie Pies.

Ya ****!
Signed.
Fattening EH15 Hibby.

brog
01-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Excellent as ever John & my appreciative thanks. 2 other things I noted from the highlights. Firstly Paul Hanlon's pass for the 1st goal was exceptional. Actually reminded me of the great Alex Cropley. Compare that with Berra's aimless hoofs last week. Secondly SJM's confidence is so high he actually switched the ball from his left foot to his right to make the pass for the 2nd goal. Happy Days!

Robinho08
01-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Great read, I've come to rely on these for my post match reports.

Jonnyboy
01-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Having read all your summaries JC I only have one question, Is Lewis Stevenson your secret love child?? 😂

:greengrin It's not the first time I've been asked that question :greengrin

Wow - posted at 12.33am - I admire and appreciate your dedication - always a good read.

Felt like I had a hangover when I woke up this morning :greengrin

Indeed and it was also nice to see Jordan Jones shake Lewis' hand right after that

Honest question...with the numbers attending Easter Road, the feel good around the club and the appetite for an alternative to the MSM, don't you think there now is a place for the re-brith of a printed fanzine for Hibs...maybe once a month ?

Much as I'd love that I don't think it's a starter I'm afraid

I've watched the clip of Lewis doing this about 8 times on Hibs TV (from about 3.25sec on highlights) it's even better than the goals and absolutely sums him up as a player.

Yep, it was top notch defending :agree:

Excellent as ever John & my appreciative thanks. 2 other things I noted from the highlights. Firstly Paul Hanlon's pass for the 1st goal was exceptional. Actually reminded me of the great Alex Cropley. Compare that with Berra's aimless hoofs last week. Secondly SJM's confidence is so high he actually switched the ball from his left foot to his right to make the pass for the 2nd goal. Happy Days!

Paul's been doing that a lot of late and often to good effect, B :agree: