PDA

View Full Version : Managers retiring

Hibbyradge
31-10-2017, 03:52 PM
"Football managers don't retire, they get sacked."

This was the discussion at my golf club today.

Apart from Walter Smith and Alex Ferguson, there haven't been many recent managers who have ended their careers at the time of their own choosing. Or at least, I can't think of them.

The Liverpool trio of Bill Shankley, Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan all had that privilege which is testimony to how successful that club was during those years, but I doubt we'll ever see 3 managers in a row retiring again.

I guess Wenger may escape without being sacked, but even he's not safe.

It's a precarious job, for sure.

Smartie
31-10-2017, 03:56 PM
I always thought George Graham had another job left in him, but his career just sort of fizzled out. I suppose he must have retired.

His teams played brutal football but he knew how to organise a defence.

Football managers do seem to get sacked a lot, then the job offers dry up. It is rare that you hear them announce a retirement.

Hibernia&Alba
31-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Arsene Wenger will be another. A rare breed these days.

Hibbyradge
31-10-2017, 03:59 PM
I always thought George Graham had another job left in him, but his career just sort of fizzled out. I suppose he must have retired.

His teams played brutal football but he knew how to organise a defence.

Football managers do seem to get sacked a lot, then the job offers dry up. It is rare that you hear them announce a retirement.

I agree. I thought he would get another job, but it just didn't happen.

He was sacked by Spurs though.

Jack
31-10-2017, 04:14 PM
To be fair their compensation after getting sacked will be considerably higher than any pension they're likely to get.

I think there's more than a few will look at basket case clubs with a view to a compensation payment before the likelihood of trophies!

Michael
31-10-2017, 04:29 PM
Heynckes picked the perfect time to retire in 2013, but he just came back at 72.

hibeg
31-10-2017, 04:37 PM
What about Dario Gradi at Crewe ? Think he was the manager for about 20 years

Famous Fiver
31-10-2017, 04:38 PM
How twee and Hawrts like behaviour.

Man up and give your fellow golfers a rousing rendition of ' We've got McGinn........'

Much more uplifting.

Mr White
31-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Craig Brown?

1van Sprou7e
31-10-2017, 04:50 PM
This thread made me realise how young all of our managers seem to be

The oldest one we've had for a while must have been Terry Butcher, and even then he was 54 when he joined which isn't terribly old for a manager

Looking at the list on Wiki almost all of them seem to have been in their 40s or even their 30s when they started managing us

Is this unusual?

lapsedhibee
31-10-2017, 04:52 PM
This thread made me realise how young all of our managers seem to be

The oldest one we've had for a while must have been Terry Butcher, and even then he was 54 when he joined which isn't terribly old for a manager

Looking at the list on Wiki almost all of them seem to have been in their 40s or even their 30s when they started managing us

Is this unusual?

Ian Cathro was 12.

Hibbyradge
31-10-2017, 04:56 PM
To be fair their compensation after getting sacked will be considerably higher than any pension they're likely to get.

I think there's more than a few will look at basket case clubs with a view to a compensation payment before the likelihood of trophies!

They're compensated for their contract being terminated early.

They won't get the full amount they would have received if they'd completed the term.

Pedantic_Hibee
31-10-2017, 05:05 PM
Ian Cathro was 12.

Howling 😂😂

GloryGlory
31-10-2017, 06:16 PM
"Football managers don't retire, they get sacked."

This was the discussion at my golf club today.

Apart from Walter Smith and Alex Ferguson, there haven't been many recent managers who have ended their careers at the time of their own choosing. Or at least, I can't think of them.

The Liverpool trio of Bill Shankley, Bob Paisley and Joe Fagan all had that privilege which is testimony to how successful that club was during those years, but I doubt we'll ever see 3 managers in a row retiring again.

I guess Wenger may escape without being sacked, but even he's not safe.

It's a precarious job, for sure.

Did Sir Bobby Robson retire or was he sacked? Can't remember.

oneone73
31-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Didn't Alex Smith just retire?

Hibbyradge
31-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Did Sir Bobby Robson retire or was he sacked? Can't remember.

He was sacked by Newcastle, I think.

stoneyburn hibs
31-10-2017, 06:28 PM
Alex Miller ?

Hibbyradge
31-10-2017, 06:32 PM
Didn't Alex Smith just retire?

He had a couple of temp jobs afterwards but he was sacked by Ross County.

Hibbyradge
31-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Alex Miller ?

Sacked after 9 games abroad.

stu in nottingham
31-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Brian Clough - Nottingham Forest

Jimmy Sirrel - Notts County

Just Jimmy
31-10-2017, 10:17 PM
He was sacked by Newcastle, I think."moved upstairs" was the official line I believe.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk