PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Paul Hanlon

Eaststand
30-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Called into the Scotland squad for the Holland game.
Well deserved recognition for one of our most consistent players

Well done Paul

GGTTH

Shrekko
30-10-2017, 12:53 PM
He’s probably have been involved long before now if he hadn’t stayed loyal to Hibs these past 3 years.

Possibly the most most under-rated person and player I am remember at Hibs. A Hibs fan, a great player and loyal to boot- we shouldn’t be taking that for granted. Hopefully he can still have a fairly lengthy Scotland involvement- we’re struggling badly for centre half’s and he’s as good as any.

Golden Bear
30-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Excellent news for Paul and the Club. Based on his current form, its well deserved.

:thumbsup:

greenlex
30-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Where Gail? I’m worried.

scooby
30-10-2017, 01:03 PM
Well deserved, but long overdue.

KWJ
Where Gail? I’m worried.

:greengrin There's a throwback to a previous debate or 5.

Delighted for Paul. Deserves a strong rendition of 'He's one of our own' - shows you don't have to be a wee bit barmy to be a Hibs man!

Our modern day Quiet Man.

BegbieHSC
Best Scottish centre-back about.

He'll nail down that position in the national team too, and make it his own.

(Hopefully having a competent centre back in the squad will give us a chance of getting to the 2020 Euros too)

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Congrats, Paul!

CMurdoch
30-10-2017, 01:07 PM
That's brilliant.
Well pleased for him :thumbsup:

Looper
30-10-2017, 01:07 PM
Absolutely brilliant. Rightly deserved, great professional.

WeveGotMcginn
30-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Well deserved - composed, strong, first class reading of the game & one of our own :greengrin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makaveli1875
30-10-2017, 01:10 PM
Well deserved, but long overdue.

this

Jonnyboy
30-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Where Gail? I’m worried.

I’d forgotten about Gail and all things anti-Hanlon :greengrin

Am delighted for Paul, he deserves this

brog
30-10-2017, 01:33 PM
Long overdue, congrats Paul!

JimBHibees
30-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Totally deserved. :flag:

jeffers
30-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Great news and well deserved. Always had the ability but has developed a bit of a hard edge too over the past few years which has made him an even better player. Our most consistent performer this season in my opinion.

calumhibee1
30-10-2017, 01:36 PM
He’s been deserving of this for a couple of years now. Well done Paul and still plenty time to carve out a decent Scotland career for yourself.

BH Hibs
30-10-2017, 01:40 PM
Well deserved and well done Paul. :flag:

hughio
30-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Adding my Congratulations.

All things come to he who waits.

Malky Mackay..well spotted.:aok:

cabbageandribs1875
30-10-2017, 01:46 PM
delighted for Paul :agree:

hibby6270
30-10-2017, 01:50 PM
SJM “predicted” it in his post match interview. The guys even more of a genius than we all think.:wink:

Well deserved Paul!!

AgentDaleCooper
30-10-2017, 01:54 PM
Genuinely my first name on the team sheet. Solid performer and brings out the best in those around him. A true hibee legend.

nyhibs
30-10-2017, 01:57 PM
None of you will be so happy if he gets injured

blackpoolhibs
30-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Well done Paul, much improved player who's every bit as good as anything getting a game at the moment. :top marks

Hannah_hfc
30-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Buzzing for Paul, about time he got the recognition [emoji1319]

Stokesy's on fire
30-10-2017, 02:26 PM
A well deserved call up. I actually think Dylan should be in over the likes of Kenny Mclean and that useless fool shinnie.

J-C
30-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Well done to Paul, thoroughly well deserved for his consistency and very professional attitude to the game.

MWHIBBIES
30-10-2017, 02:32 PM
A well deserved call up. I actually think Dylan should be in over the likes of Kenny Mclean and that useless fool shinnie.

Shinnie is not a useless fool, he is Aberdeen captain ffs. Both quality player in good form.

Vault Boy
30-10-2017, 02:34 PM
Very well deserved. Far better player than Berra. Congrats to Paul!

Souter96Mac
30-10-2017, 02:38 PM
I hope he starts or at least features.

Firestarter
30-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Well done Paul Hanlon.

PeeJay
30-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Never really been a fan of Hanlon, but he is having a good season and he's had some cracking games, so the call-up is more than deserved - always good to see a Hibs player in the Scotland squad

Hiber-nation
30-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Well deserved and I really liked what Mackay had to say about him. But Ryan Jack....

Billy McKirdy
30-10-2017, 03:27 PM
He’s stuck with us through thick and thin, had a distinguished U21 career captaining the team and has been long overdue this call up, absolutely delighted for him 💚

ValleyHibee
30-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Well done Paul,last 3 league games been outstanding,never gave May,Laugherty or moult a sniff of goal.

aljo7-0
30-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Well deserved. Congratulations Paul

Elephant Stone
30-10-2017, 04:00 PM
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/480/cpsprodpb/10AC6/production/_88149286_11572130.jpg

****ing yes Paul!

Delighted for him.

rotherhamrob
30-10-2017, 04:05 PM
Excellent and not before time.

Brightside
30-10-2017, 04:17 PM
Called into the Scotland squad for the Holland game.
Well deserved recognition for one of our most consistent players

Well done Paul

GGTTH

About bloody time!

bigwheel
30-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Can we have a round of applause from that poster who seemed to hate Paul Hanlon - can't recall their name - but come out and show some big respect ! [emoji2][emoji106]

Brightside
30-10-2017, 04:22 PM
Can we have a round of applause from that poster who seemed to hate Paul Hanlon - can't recall their name - but come out and show some big respect ! [emoji2][emoji106]

It wasnt that long ago there was a queue of them....Gail being no.1 fan! :greengrin

G B Young
30-10-2017, 04:30 PM
No fan of friendly internationals, but genuinely pleased for Paul Hanlon. Well deserved recognition for a career in which he has improved hugely as a player, battling through some tough times for Hibs which could easily have derailed his development, and overall shown fantastic loyalty to the club he supports.

Northernhibee
30-10-2017, 04:36 PM
Him, Dylan and Lewis are arguably the most underrated players in the league.

Iceman1875
30-10-2017, 04:37 PM
Well done Paul!

Actually refreshing to see this Scotland squad without GS old pals from England. Not a fan of Malky McKay but fair play.

But Ryan Jack?!

IlDiavola
30-10-2017, 04:38 PM
At last!

Make the position your own Paul.

A real Hibby too! :flag:

Galahibby
30-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Superb! Let's hope he actually gets a game.

B.H.F.C
30-10-2017, 04:56 PM
Him, Dylan and Lewis are arguably the most underrated players in the league.

I don't think Dylan is underrated at all. He just hasn't been able to show his ability enough. He's been getting widely praised in the last few weeks. If he can continue to play over a sustained period the he'll have cause for inclusion in the Scotland squad.

staunchhibby
30-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Gail has gone into hiding lol

tynehibs
30-10-2017, 05:02 PM
Paul has been a consistent performer for us for years, I think he has improved under NL

gogsy23
30-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Well done Paul. Delighted for you and your family will be chuffed to bits. Most consistent CH in Scotland in last 3/4 years.

Keith_M
30-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Gail has gone into hiding lol

Wasn't (s)he launched?

The Harp
30-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Congratulations Paul! You deserved this ages ago but better late than never. Hope you remain at ER for a long time to come.

cabbageandribs1875
30-10-2017, 05:13 PM
It wasnt that long ago there was a queue of them....Gail being no.1 fan! :greengrin

'Gail' and his 15 different usernames/name changes was launched a few months back i think, i still sense the Ghost of Gail is still amongst us though :devil:

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Congratulations Paul .... a deserved accolade for a consummate professional.

If I'm being honest the fact that Hanlon is getting a call up is indicative of how average in international terms ( I stress, in international terms ) we are at the moment. Paul is a very good Scottish premiership standard player and I have no doubt he would do a good job for a team at English championship level, but I doubt anybody of my age would say he is in the class of a Miller, McLeish or Hanson for example. That's not his fault and I hope he does enough to force himself into contention for a regular call up.

O'Rourke3
30-10-2017, 05:25 PM
Brilliant news and well deserved - just need Lewis capped and watch the revisionism explode :greengrin

jacomo
30-10-2017, 05:28 PM
http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/onesport/cps/480/cpsprodpb/10AC6/production/_88149286_11572130.jpg

****ing yes Paul!

Delighted for him.

Such a wonderful photo.

Yes he could have left Hibs, but moments like this are what it's all about.

bigwheel
30-10-2017, 05:32 PM

That's the one !! Absolutely sure he had nicked his girlfriend ! [emoji2]

thebakerboy
30-10-2017, 05:42 PM
About time this happened , very pleased for Paul. Well done Malky but Clum Paterson , hes only played 54mins of football this season , we must be desperate for a right back.

Pete
30-10-2017, 05:44 PM
I remember I was ridiculed not so long ago for suggesting that Berra was pish and Paul Hanlon should be brought into replace him.

Looks like the big man agrees. 😁

Clerie Green
30-10-2017, 05:48 PM
A class act on and off the field.

Long overdue , well done big man

GGTTH

Captain Trips
30-10-2017, 05:49 PM
Goes about his business like a true pro. Deserved recognition.

bawheid
30-10-2017, 05:53 PM
Never really been a fan of Hanlon

What an odd thing to say.

Hi Heid Yin
30-10-2017, 05:59 PM
Paul Hanlon has raised his game leaps and bounds these past 2 years and deservedly has been recognised for his brilliant performances against some of the SPL's top strikers this season.
Well done, Paul.
:flag::flag:

wookie70
30-10-2017, 06:05 PM
Well done Paul. Always loved watching players that get better every season. Hope he gets his cap

superfurryhibby
30-10-2017, 06:07 PM
Congratulations Paul .... a deserved accolade for a consummate professional.

If I'm being honest the fact that Hanlon is getting a call up is indicative of how average in international terms ( I stress, in international terms ) we are at the moment. Paul is a very good Scottish premiership standard player and I have no doubt he would do a good job for a team at English championship level, but I doubt anybody of my age would say he is in the class of a Miller, McLeish or Hanson for example. That's not his fault and I hope he does enough to force himself into contention for a regular call up.

To be fair Nookers, there are few if any of the current squad who would have got a sniff in the days of the guys you refer to. Narey and Hegarty were absolutely top class and even they won very few caps, despite winning the league, reaching the European Cup semi and Euefa final.

Hanlon is a good footballer, he's reasonably quick and he can read it the game well. He's not the biggest or the most mean, but he has other assets. I think he's well deserving of a chance. Hopefully he can show McKay what he can do in training and becme the latest Hibernian to represent Scotland. I think we can all feel very pleased for the guy. Had a lot of injuries and a fair number of doubters. He's come through it and is now a very accomplished defender.

Northernhibee
30-10-2017, 06:44 PM
Paul's a proper international sort of defender. Although he's capable of a thumping tackle his reading of a game, intelligence, game management and ability to play with the ball at his feet will endear himself to a more technical style of play than we're used to seeing in this league.

A mile ahead of the likes of Berra or Hanley.

hibsfan7
30-10-2017, 07:05 PM
About 3 years too late and why is Dylan not in the squad

bingo70
30-10-2017, 07:17 PM
What an odd thing to say.

Not really, I think he has improved a lot recently.

I previously felt Hanlon struggled with the physical side and thought he got bullied too easily, there’s no doubt he’s improved that side of his game massively this season in particular though.

Eaststand
30-10-2017, 07:31 PM
About bloody time!

Sorry for the delay mate, but I was busy earlier and started the post as soon as i could

:-)

GGTTH

Sammy7nil
30-10-2017, 07:37 PM
Paul's a proper international sort of defender. Although he's capable of a thumping tackle his reading of a game, intelligence, game management and ability to play with the ball at his feet will endear himself to a more technical style of play than we're used to seeing in this league.

A mile ahead of the likes of Berra or Hanley.

Berra has done just fine for Scotland and as much as I like Paul he is not a mile ahead of Berra.

hibs#1
30-10-2017, 07:38 PM
Great for the lad and well deserved.

Swedish hibee
30-10-2017, 07:40 PM
Well deserved. Always been one of my faves in the Hibs squad.

Tornadoes70
30-10-2017, 07:41 PM

I previously felt Hanlon struggled with the physical side and thought he got bullied too easily, there’s no doubt he’s improved that side of his game massively this season in particular though.

:top marks

He's acquired the skill of reading the game and positioning that all top class defenders need that comes with maturity allied with an added steely physical attribute. I reckon playing alongside Darren McGregor helped Paul develop the physicality required and playing with Efe Ambrose has very probably helped develop his reading of the game. He's always had the ability but we are beginning to see Paul reaching his full potential. He'll still make the odd mistake like every top player does but he's worked very hard and improved immensely.

Well done Paul Hanlon

:flag:

1van Sprou7e
30-10-2017, 07:42 PM

People always mention this, but when was the last time Hanlon allowed himself to be bullied?

Good few years ago I would think

I feel like it's just an easy excuse to criticise him since he's not built like most top CBs but in reality I haven't seen him have too many problems in this regard for quite a few seasons now

Maybe I'm wrong though as I don't go to every game

MagicSwirlingShip
30-10-2017, 08:12 PM
Great to see the interim manager bigging up Paul directly.

“Paul Hanlon is captaining Hibs, who are going from strength to strength," said former centre-half Mackay.

"I went to the Edinburgh derby the other night and Hibs were terrific and Hanlon was so calm at the back. He's someone that's been in the Scotland youth set-up, but has taken his time to, I suppose, fill out, to understand the position, to learn to have that leadership quality but I'm seeing all that at the moment, as are a few people that I've spoken to”

GreenNWhiteArmy
30-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Well done Paul and very well deserved.

Some of the inclusions will, imo keep national interest in a game probably should have been canned the minute neither nations qualified high with playwrs we can all connect with

Hibs, Celtic and Aberdeen well represented and rightly so

neil7908
30-10-2017, 08:30 PM
About 3 years too late and why is Dylan not in the squad

Dylan has done well recently and if he keeps up his current form he should be in the next one but he's had some well documented injury problems and is only really now getting a good run of games.

Hanlon on the other hand has played consistently well for years. I have reservations about his ability to compete at international level against top opposition but he deserves a chance.

SideBurns
30-10-2017, 08:32 PM
My first, and so far only, thread on .net was titled 'Hanlon for Scotland' - think I'll quit at the top 😊.

Delighted for Paul, a fantastic professional who has improved every season and survived, as a young player, some of the toughest times in our history which shows the character of the lad. It seems he's now getting the wider appreciation he deserves.

pacoluna
30-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Shows how strong hibs defence is when our 3rd best center back is now a Scotland international. ;)

SRHibs
30-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Shows how strong hibs defence is when our 3rd best center back is now a Scotland international. ;)

Congrats to McGregor on the call up I guess!

Brightside
30-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Berra has done just fine for Scotland and as much as I like Paul he is not a mile ahead of Berra.

The love for Berra is mental. All he’s ever done is hit the ball 60 yards.

kiwihibby
30-10-2017, 09:57 PM

Maybe not a mile but 1758 yards

MWHIBBIES
30-10-2017, 10:15 PM
The love for Berra is mental. All he’s ever done is hit the ball 60 yards.Indeed. We're talking about a guy that Hibs didn't bother closing down at all because he physically cannot distribute a ball. He isn't close to Hanlons footballing ability.

Is It On....
31-10-2017, 12:01 AM
He’s probably have been involved long before now if he hadn’t stayed loyal to Hibs these past 3 years.

Possibly the most most under-rated person and player I am remember at Hibs. A Hibs fan, a great player and loyal to boot- we shouldn’t be taking that for granted. Hopefully he can still have a fairly lengthy Scotland involvement- we’re struggling badly for centre half’s and he’s as good as any.

He also scored "quite" an important equaliser in the dying seconds of a cup game....in front of his own teams fans....something we all dream about doing 😎

RyeSloan
31-10-2017, 06:25 AM
People always mention this, but when was the last time Hanlon allowed himself to be bullied?

Good few years ago I would think

I feel like it's just an easy excuse to criticise him since he's not built like most top CBs but in reality I haven't seen him have too many problems in this regard for quite a few seasons now

Maybe I'm wrong though as I don't go to every game

I'm with you...Hanlon was bullied sometimes when he first came into the team but after his first couple of seasons that wasn't a problem as he matured. To suggest that it's only recently he has moved on from that is kind of forgetting the last 4 or 5 seasons!

Top player well deserving of a call up and others have said his dedication to Hibs has probably cost him a good coupe of seasons waiting for this so big big appreciation to a great player, dedicated Hibee, consummate professional and a gentleman!

GreenOnions
31-10-2017, 08:51 AM
Like everyone else I'm really pleased for Paul - he deserves it. I also think that he could do quite well at international level if given the chance. He has the type of game that I think may be suited to it.

Baader
31-10-2017, 10:16 AM
Hanlon is the most underrated player in Scotland. Anyone who doesn't think he's up to much should probably just pack in watching football.

hibbyfraelibby
31-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Might be interesting to see him and Berra side by side😈

Kato
31-10-2017, 02:04 PM
I'm with you...Hanlon was bullied sometimes when he first came into the team but after his first couple of seasons that wasn't a problem as he matured. To suggest that it's only recently he has moved on from that is kind of forgetting the last 4 or 5 seasons!

Top player well deserving of a call up and others have said his dedication to Hibs has probably cost him a good coupe of seasons waiting for this so big big appreciation to a great player, dedicated Hibee, consummate professional and a gentleman!

I think it was when Stubbs arrived that Paul, and others, were directed to the gym to work on strengthening their core muscles - something other managers didn't seem to bother about. Since then he's been harder to knock off the ball, which was his biggest (only?) failing up til then.

andrew70
31-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Hanlon is the most underrated player in Scotland. Anyone who doesn't think he's up to much should probably just pack in watching football.

This, 100%

ancient hibee
31-10-2017, 03:40 PM
I’m surprised Celtic didn’t come in for him.Their Centre halves are the weakest part of the team.The way they lost a goal on Saturday to a simple one-two should be giving Rogers the heebie jeebies about tonight.

steino1875
31-10-2017, 08:33 PM
Congratulations well overdue having a great season

Scott Allan Key
31-10-2017, 10:53 PM
I’m surprised Celtic didn’t come in for him.Their Centre halves are the weakest part of the team.The way they lost a goal on Saturday to a simple one-two should be giving Rogers the heebie jeebies about tonight.

Shh, and didn’t cover themselves in glory for Bayern’s first tonight either. If they did strengthen goalie, and centre backs with a favourable CL group, they might just progress again. As long as we build our team and keep our best players as long as possible, I’m just happy for Hibs just now.