PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Motherwell 28 October)

Jonnyboy
28-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Travelling through to Motherwell today the chat in the car included a discussion on how good our away form in the league has been and could we maintain it? ‘Well have blossomed into a decent side in the last couple of months and pegged us back at ER having gone in at the interval 2-0 down so the consensus was we’d have to be at it from the off.

Another topic in the car concerned who might play and it was no real surprise when we learned the starting eleven would be the same as that which conquered Hearts last Tuesday night.

Taking our seats in the lower stand at Fir Park we were feeling the chill as the wind blew hard and it seemed likely the conditions would have some bearing on the quality of football on offer. It did but we mastered the conditions better than Motherwell and in my mind we fully deserved all three points.

As the game started it soon became apparent that Brandon Barker was playing in a more central role, alongside Simon Murray and in the early exchanges Barker was busy as the Motherwell back three tried to figure out how to deal with him. With the wind playing havoc with any high ball, it was to Hibs’ credit that they invariably played out from the back and kept the ball low whenever possible. Motherwell on the other hand seemed happy to go long in trying to get in behind our defence with lofted passes. It didn’t work and I thought Hibs dictated the play for the entire half.

Ironically, the only goal of the game came from a punt forward by Simon Murray. Cedric Kipre misjudged the flight of the ball and with Boyle racing towards it Trevor Carson in the home goal missed his kick completely, allowing Boyler to walk the ball into the empty net. On the balance of play, Hibs deserved their lead and they might have doubled it had Carson not saved a McGinn effort. With half time imminent, Motherwell had their first effort on goal when Campbell fired over from about twenty yards.

Realising something had to change the Motherwell manager brought two substitutes into the game at the start of the second half and introduced a third shortly afterwards. In fairness to the home side they started to enjoy a little more possession but were still intent on going high and long. Our four defenders dealt with everything thrown at them and Rocky looked good in goal. It was one of our defenders that blocked a shot that would have brought the sides level when Whittaker guided a shot past the post for a corner.

At the other end, Boyle had a decent half chance and Barker, having done all the hard work, sliced a left foot effort high and wide when a square pass would have reached the unmarked Boyle in the middle. Two more ‘goals’ were scored as first Simon Murray was adjudged offside in what must have been a close call and Charles Dunne beat Rocky but the flag had gone up the instant the ball reached him.

I’ve read the term ‘game management’ a lot recently and I have to say I thought Hibs were excellent in managing the last ten minutes or so as Motherwell grew more and more desperate in looking for the equaliser. Every player played their part in that but no more so than John McGinn who just wouldn’t be knocked off the ball as he shielded it in the corner.

A great three points we earned on a difficult day weather wise.

The players

Rocky – didn’t have a lot to do and looked comfortable throughout, despite the high ball swirling around in the wind.

Whitty – was excellent against Hearts and he kept that level of performance going today. Great positional sense in blocking the goal bound shot in the second half.

Efe – apart from one very minor so called ‘Efe moment’ the big guy was immense and dealt with everything thrown at him.

Paul Hanlon – a swirling wind can be a nightmare for any defender but Paul was outstanding today in dealing with both the danger of Louis Moult and never losing a single challenge in the air. Amongst a few contenders, Paul edged man of the match for me.

Lewis – on a number of occasions, Motherwell focussed their attacks down the right, perhaps perceiving some weakness in that area but apart from a couple of wayward passes the wee man was excellent.

Boyler – tormented their defenders at times but was over elaborate on one occasion in the second half when an earlier shot, rather than trying to turn their defenders inside out, might have been rewarded with a second goal. Credit to him though, he didn’t give up on the long ball from Murray and got his reward with the match winning goal.

Dylan – absolutely top notch in the first half and took some punishment from a tough tackling Motherwell midfield. Was a bit quiteter in the second but still a stellar performance from the wee fella.

Marv – once again Marv provided the platform for McGinn and McGeouch to get forward and he did it to his usual high standards. Was poleaxed once in the second half and we didn’t even get a free kick but Marv had his moan and then got on with the game.

SJM – my mate thinks SJM isn’t consistent enough but today John was at the races from the off. His work rate and reading of the game must make him a helluva player to play against and my mate, had he been at the game, might have been forced to agree with me!

Brandon – played more centrally at the start but resumed his wide berth after we scored. One of the things that some fans seem to have identified as a fault is his apparent unwillingness to put his foot in and while I saw that a couple of times today I also saw him mixing it with a few Motherwell players who’d tried to bully him.

Simon – never really got going today as invariably the ball was fired high to him from Rocky or from clearances. Even so, his work rate is phenomenal and his intelligent running off the ball is often missed as he looks to work an angle for a pass.

Oli Shaw – in replacing Simon, Oli would have his work cut out because the three man Motherwell defence is made up of big, strong guys. Did it bother Oli? No is the short answer and the lad was unlucky not to score with a deft flick that struck a defender.

Slivka – recognising that Motherwell had bolstered their midfield and as a consequence increasing the amount of possession they enjoyed, Neil Lennon withdrew Barker and brought Slivka on to redress the balance. The lad did well and the plan worked as a result.

Big Dave – got the last five or six minutes and enjoyed the fact that the ball was in the air a fair bit. Contrary to what some fans would have you believe, he can jump and did so to good effect a number of times!

The ref – I’m on record as saying that I think Bobby Madden is the best referee in Scotland and despite howls of derision from both sets of fans today I still think he is. Unlike the majority of referees he doesn’t look to make the game about him, preferring instead to let it flow rather than putting the whistle to his mouth every five seconds. Gave a drop ball today, much to Motherwell’s annoyance but it was the right decision as there had been no foul, a player needed treatment and why should one team then concede possession to the other by giving them the ball back?

The fans – I believe there were in excess of 1700 at the game and they were noisy and supportive throughout. I was particularly impressed when, with a minute or two left, the whole support sang out ‘green and white army’ to see the boys over the line. It was also good to see Neil Lennon and the whole Hibs team come to acknowledge the fans at the end.

greenlex
28-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Travelling through to Motherwell today the chat in the car included a discussion on how good our away form in the league has been and could we maintain it? ‘Well have blossomed into a decent side in the last couple of months and pegged us back at ER having gone in at the interval 2-0 down so the consensus was we’d have to be at it from the off.

Another topic in the car concerned who might play and it was no real surprise when we learned the starting eleven would be the same as that which conquered Hearts last Tuesday night.

Taking our seats in the lower stand at Fir Park we were feeling the chill as the wind blew hard and it seemed likely the conditions would have some bearing on the quality of football on offer. It did but we mastered the conditions better than Motherwell and in my mind we fully deserved all three points.

As the game started it soon became apparent that Brandon Barker was playing in a more central role, alongside Simon Murray and in the early exchanges Barker was busy as the Motherwell back three tried to figure out how to deal with him. With the wind playing havoc with any high ball, it was to Hibs’ credit that they invariably played out from the back and kept the ball low whenever possible. Motherwell on the other hand seemed happy to go long in trying to get in behind our defence with lofted passes. It didn’t work and I thought Hibs dictated the play for the entire half.

Ironically, the only goal of the game came from a punt forward by Simon Murray. Cedric Kipre misjudged the flight of the ball and with Boyle racing towards it Trevor Carson in the home goal missed his kick completely, allowing Boyler to walk the ball into the empty net. On the balance of play, Hibs deserved their lead and they might have doubled it had Carson not saved a McGinn effort. With half time imminent, Motherwell had their first effort on goal when Campbell fired over from about twenty yards.

Realising something had to change the Motherwell manager brought two substitutes into the game at the start of the second half and introduced a third shortly afterwards. In fairness to the home side they started to enjoy a little more possession but were still intent on going high and long. Our four defenders dealt with everything thrown at them and Rocky looked good in goal. It was one of our defenders that blocked a shot that would have brought the sides level when Whittaker guided a shot past the post for a corner.

At the other end, Boyle had a decent half chance and Barker, having done all the hard work, sliced a left foot effort high and wide when a square pass would have reached the unmarked Boyle in the middle. Two more ‘goals’ were scored as first Simon Murray was adjudged offside in what must have been a close call and Charles Dunne beat Rocky but the flag had gone up the instant the ball reached him.

I’ve read the term ‘game management’ a lot recently and I have to say I thought Hibs were excellent in managing the last ten minutes or so as Motherwell grew more and more desperate in looking for the equaliser. Every player played their part in that but no more so than John McGinn who just wouldn’t be knocked off the ball as he shielded it in the corner.

A great three points and we earned on a difficult day weather wise.

The players

Rocky – didn’t have a lot to do and looked comfortable throughout, despite the high ball swirling around in the wind.

Whitty – was excellent against Hearts and he kept that level of performance going today. Great positional sense in blocking the goal bound shot in the second half.

Efe – apart from one very minor so called ‘Efe moment’ the big guy was immense and dealt with everything thrown at him.

Paul Hanlon – a swirling wind can be a nightmare for any defender but Paul was outstanding today in dealing with both the danger of Louis Moult and never losing a single challenge in the air. Amongst a few contenders, Paul edged man of the match for me.

Lewis – on a number of occasions, Motherwell focussed their attacks down the right, perhaps perceiving some weakness in that area but apart from a couple of wayward passes the wee man was excellent.

Boyler – tormented their defenders at times but was over elaborate on one occasion in the second half when an earlier shot, rather than trying to turn their defenders inside out, might have been rewarded with a second goal. Credit to him though, he didn’t give up on the long ball from Murray and got his reward with the match winning goal.

Dylan – absolutely top notch in the first half and took some punishment from a tough tackling Motherwell midfield. Was a bit quitter in the second but still a stellar performance from the wee fella.

Marv – once again Marv provided the platform for McGinn and McGeouch to get forward and he did it to his usual high standards. Was poleaxed once in the second half and we didn’t even get a free kick but Marv had his moan and then got on with the game.

SJM – my mate thinks SJM isn’t consistent enough but today John was at the races from the off. His work rate and reading of the game must make him a helluva player to play against and my mate, had he been at the game, might have been forced to agree with me!

Brandon – played more centrally at the start but resumed his wide berth after we scored. One of the things that some fans seem to have identified as a fault is his apparent unwillingness to put his foot in and while I saw that a couple of times today I also saw him mixing it with a few Motherwell players who’d tried to bully him.

Simon – never really got going today as invariably the ball was fired high to him from Rocky or from clearances. Even so, his work rate is phenomenal and his intelligent running off the ball is often missed as he looks to work an angle for a pass.

Oli Shaw – in replacing Simon, Oli would have his work cut out because the three man Motherwell defence is made up of big, strong guys. Did it bother Oli? No is the short answer and the lad was unlucky not to score with a deft flick that struck a defender.

Slivka – recognising that Motherwell had bolstered their midfield and as a consequence increasing the amount of possession they enjoyed, Neil Lennon withdrew Barker and brought Slivka on to redress the balance. The lad did well and the plan worked as a result.

Big Dave – got the last five or six minutes and enjoyed the fact that the ball was in the air a fair bit. Contrary to what some fans would have you believe, he can jump and did so to good effect a number of times!

The ref – I’m on record as saying that I think Bobby Madden is the best referee in Scotland and despite howls of derision from both sets of fans today I still think he is. Unlike the majority of referees he doesn’t look to make the game about him, preferring instead to let it flow rather than putting the whistle to his mouth every five seconds. Gave a drop ball today, much to Motherwell’s annoyance but it was the right decision as there had been no foul, a player needed treatment and why should one team then concede possession to the other by giving them the ball back?

The fans – I believe there were in excess of 1700 at the game and they were noisy and supportive throughout. I was particularly impressed when, with a minute or two left, the whole support sang out ‘green and white army’ to see the boys over the line. It was also good to see Neil Lennon and the whole Hibs team come to acknowledge the fans at the end.
Apart from the ommision of Rockys first class stop in the second half J. I concur with all of that.
Also thought the contested drop ball was McGinns idea as it was well into their half and within our rights.

Mikey
28-10-2017, 07:13 PM
Nice one John, cheers for that.

Devonhibs
28-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Thanks for this, I really enjoy reading your summaries.

kaimendhibs
28-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the report. Pretty much agree wirh everything other than im certain Rocky had an outstanding save and also Madden was absolutely shocking. Opinions eh?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Iggy Pope
28-10-2017, 07:15 PM
Appart from the ommision of Rockys irst class stop in the second half J. I concur with all of that.
Also thought the contested drop ball was McGinns idea as it was well into their half and within our rights.

Agreed, and I'm not sure, but I reckon Madden realised the fellah he had stopped the game for was at it, so he decided on the drop ball
Something he got right today if so.

Tornadoes70
28-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Once again I've really enjoyed reading your take on the game and the personal performances. Great stuff.

:flag:

judas
28-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Your posts are excellent and most informative. Many thanks.

brog
28-10-2017, 07:47 PM
Thanks John. I agree your thoughts about Madden. Every ref can & will make mistakes, it's the way they go about their business that's the difference. Madden & Stevie McLean talk to the players as equals, not down to them like CT & Dallas.

Mr White
28-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Thanks for that JB, enjoyable read as ever and very much appreciated by those of us who can't make it to as many games as we'd like :thumbsup:

Billy Whizz
28-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Excellent report as always John. Thought the team shape and balance was spot on for 60 mins or so. Completely dominated the 1st half, limited the home team to little or no attempts.
When we’re 1-0 up, we need to get that 2nd goal, but fortunately today, defence stood strong and saw it out comfortably.
Conditions were poor, with a strong wind blowing all over the park. We thoroughly deserved the 3 points, and the away form continues to impress.
Great Hibs support today, all went home happy

Onto Killie now, games come thick and fast

Carheenlea
28-10-2017, 07:54 PM
I was a wee bit worried after Boyle and Barker had left the field when Motherwell got a bit more joy down either side in an attacking sense rather than the high balls they were restricted to prior to that, but Slivka was excellent when he came on. That was a great moment near the end when McGinn, after another demonstration of his body strength to shield the ball out for a corner, turned to the Hibs fans with a huge smile and two clenched fists encouraging us to lift the noise as the game drew to an end.
Always enjoy visiting Fir Park, and all the better when we win.

Bostonhibby
28-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Great to read Jon. Thanks yet again. Was forced to listen to patchy coverage in the car today. Needless to say your report is my preferred version[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

jacomo
28-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Great report, really enjoyable read.

I love that teams still try to target Lewis as if he's our weak link, and almost always he rises to the challenge.

And great to see our defence returning to their form of last season .

Kojock
28-10-2017, 08:16 PM
Hibs were excellent today in every area of the pitch.

Hibby Bairn
28-10-2017, 08:18 PM
Thanks John. I agree your thoughts about Madden. Every ref can & will make mistakes, it's the way they go about their business that's the difference. Madden & Stevie McLean talk to the players as equals, not down to them like CT & Dallas.

Very true.

Keith_M
28-10-2017, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the summary JB.

As others have said, Rocky had a fantastic save in the second half as well, so worth noting.

The support was fantastic... despite that bl**dy drum :wink:

euro Hibby
28-10-2017, 09:06 PM
no real need to watch the whole game being replayed tomorrow....report has done the job !

Jonnyboy
28-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Not sure why I missed Rocky’s excellent save from my summary. Apologies to him 👍

greenlex
28-10-2017, 09:46 PM
Not sure why I missed Rocky’s excellent save from my summary. Apologies to him 👍

It’s an age thing J

Jonnyboy
28-10-2017, 10:04 PM
It’s an age thing J

You’re not wrong :greengrin

Jonnyboy
29-10-2017, 12:38 PM
I was a wee bit worried after Boyle and Barker had left the field when Motherwell got a bit more joy down either side in an attacking sense rather than the high balls they were restricted to prior to that, but Slivka was excellent when he came on. That was a great moment near the end when McGinn, after another demonstration of his body strength to shield the ball out for a corner, turned to the Hibs fans with a huge smile and two clenched fists encouraging us to lift the noise as the game drew to an end.
Always enjoy visiting Fir Park, and all the better when we win.

Yep, SJM was pumped up as you say. He and Dylan were giving it large when the players came to the fans at the end 👍

Robinho08
29-10-2017, 01:09 PM
Cheers John. Good read as always.

Mikey
29-10-2017, 05:37 PM
There's no sign of a Rocky's save in the BBC highlights. Was it actually Whittaker's block that people think he got to?

greenlex
29-10-2017, 06:17 PM
There's no sign of a Rocky's save in the BBC highlights. Was it actually Whittaker's block that people think he got to?
Yes it was Mikey. From the other side of the ground it looked like a wonder save from Rocky. JC was right all along. Who’d have thunk it.

Billy Whizz
29-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Yes it was Mikey. From the other side of the ground it looked like a wonder save from Rocky. JC was right all along. Who’d have thunk it.

All of our group thought it was Rocky too. To be fair we were looking at it straight, where as Jonnyboy had an angle from his seat😜

Jonnyboy
29-10-2017, 08:55 PM

All of our group thought it was Rocky too. To be fair we were looking at it straight, where as Jonnyboy had an angle from his seat😜

So I'm not going senile after all :greengrin

greenlex
29-10-2017, 08:58 PM
So I'm not going senile after all :greengrin

Would appear not but don’t sack your carer just yet.

Jonnyboy
29-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Would appear not but don’t sack your carer just yet.

:faf: