PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time a ref's decisions unfairly benefitted Hibs?

Hibbyradge
28-10-2017, 06:53 PM
I don't mean the occasional decision, but a game where we got much more than our share of mistakes and decisions?

Ryan91
28-10-2017, 06:57 PM
I'm going to answer never on this one

Vault Boy
28-10-2017, 06:59 PM
That 4-0 away win against Motherwell under Fenlon was the happiest I've been with a shocking refereeing performance.

theonlywayisup
28-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Going back a few years, I'm going for when we won an injury time penalty against Dundee United at Easter Road. Following a corner, the ball must have been ten feet above the two players who came together - I think the United player stepped on the Hibees players foot causing the latter to fall theatrically onto the floor. The ref pointed to the penalty spot, which was scored for Hibs to win with the last kick of the game.

Carheenlea
28-10-2017, 07:03 PM
Ibrox earlier this season.

IGRIGI
28-10-2017, 07:07 PM
Maybe not the last time but any excuse for the Matty Jack game,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBQlenWbBk

theonlywayisup
28-10-2017, 07:14 PM
Maybe not the last time but any excuse for the Matty Jack game,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBQlenWbBk

That's the game.....wow!!

At the match, I was thinking "what was that given for".

However, IIRC United were time wasting from the 60 minute so the result was deserved IMO :greengrin

Bayern Bru
28-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Literally last weekend when we got a soft penalty?

Hibs Class
28-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Literally last weekend when we got a soft penalty?

I'd describe that as an occasional decision.

highland hibbee
28-10-2017, 07:28 PM
Going back a few years, I'm going for when we won an injury time penalty against Dundee United at Easter Road. Following a corner, the ball must have been ten feet above the two players who came together - I think the United player stepped on the Hibees players foot causing the latter to fall theatrically onto the floor. The ref pointed to the penalty spot, which was scored for Hibs to win with the last kick of the game.

Aye mate that was Matty Jack , horrendous decision, but was happy to take it ;-)

Hibernia&Alba
28-10-2017, 07:51 PM
Parkhead a couple of weeks ago. Celtc should have had a penalty in injury time.

cleanyman
28-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Ibrox in August.

Parkhead.

Good kick of the ball recently.

Spudster
28-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Cup final in the dying seconds when the free kick went out way, not even our players expected it

SRHibs
28-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Pretty clear OP isn’t going to find answers. The constant little decisions that other teams seem to get are viewed with bias by us, whereas the opponent will think the decision was correct. If we are also dismissing “occasional decisions” (of which there are plenty) then there’s not an awful lot to go on.

Hibs are not hard done by compared to most other teams.

--------
28-10-2017, 11:27 PM

If you're referring to the match in which Dundee United constantly wasted time throughout the match only for the referee to rightly play about 10 minutes of added time, at the end of which our esteemed German defensive midfielder Matty Jack won an entirely justified penalty kick from which (IIRC) Russell Latapy scored to win us the game ...

The Arabs got exactly what they deserved. The time-wasting that went on that afternoon was scandalous - every throw-in, every free kick, every "injury" took ages to resolve and if the ref had actually played all the time they had wasted we'd still be playing that game now.

Alex Smith was their manager and he needed a good smacking.

(It doesn't matter where the ball is if there's illegal contact inside the penalty area, you know. And there was. Otherwise Matty wouldn't have fallen down. Matty was an honest man. He wasn't a diver. :devil:)

davhibby
28-10-2017, 11:32 PM

And James Forrest should have been sent off for his second dive. I'd say that's an occasional decision anyway. The 4-0 at Fir Park when we got 2 penalties that shouldn't have been is a good shout

poolman
28-10-2017, 11:34 PM
If you're referring to the match in which Dundee United constantly wasted time throughout the match only for the referee to rightly play about 10 minutes of added time, at the end of which our esteemed German defensive midfielder Matty Jack won an entirely justified penalty kick from which (IIRC) Russell Latapy scored to win us the game ...

The Arabs got exactly what they deserved. The time-wasting that went on that afternoon was scandalous - every throw-in, every free kick, every "injury" took ages to resolve and if the ref had actually played all the time they had wasted we'd still be playing that game now.

(It doesn't matter where the ball is if there's illegal contact inside the penalty area, you know. And there was. Otherwise Matty wouldn't have fallen down. Matty was an honest man. He wasn't a diver. :devil:)

It was a joy to see that smug git Smith getting that grin he had on his mush when he thought they had stole a point turning into one of disbelief

FANTASTIC

LaMotta
28-10-2017, 11:55 PM

no way...would have been a very soft pen!

KWJ
29-10-2017, 12:02 AM
Keep the baw matty

And he duly did.

Combe got sent off after the match for pushing his head towards the linesman.

Jack later got cabballero sent off and both dundee teams hates him.

snooky
29-10-2017, 01:12 AM
The trouble is, because of years of bias we think that getting a fair ref is the equivalent of getting one that is bias towards us.
On balance I think we get about 1 dodgy decision for us for every 8 that go against us. Gen!

hibby6270
29-10-2017, 01:52 AM
That's the game.....wow!!

At the match, I was thinking "what was that given for".

However, IIRC United were time wasting from the 60 minute so the result was deserved IMO :greengrin

Remember that game well. Decision definitely in our favour.
What I didn’t realise was who the ref was - Alan Freeland.
Was he not same ref that totally lost it in a game against Falkirk a couple of years later, where everything went against us?

Glory Lurker
29-10-2017, 01:15 AM
Cup final in the dying seconds when the free kick went out way, not even our players expected it

Can’t agree with that, sorry. Ref was close to the incident. High footed challenge.

Nevi_SOL
29-10-2017, 01:28 AM
I'm going to answer never on this one

I was going too say this one as well. Motherwell even got a pen that game. Higdon missed

brog
29-10-2017, 07:01 AM

The Arabs got exactly what they deserved. The time-wasting that went on that afternoon was scandalous -

every throw-in, every free kick, every "injury" took ages to resolve and if the ref had actually played all the time they had wasted we'd still be playing that game now.

I must admit that having been at the game & watched highlights i still have no idea why we got the pen. Having said that the timewasting & downright cheating was shocking. The thing that kicked it off was when Combe put the ball out for a throw in about 30/40 yards out. It wasn't even certain it was intentional. Jim Lauchlan had been writhing about in agony but when we took the throw in to ourselves he was up & running like Usain Bolt! I'm sure the howls of outrage from the Hibs fans helped us win the pen almost immediately after. Karma!
PS Freeland was the most incompetent ref ever but he was a sheep fan & I always wondered whether that helped him give the decision against the other half of the New Firm.

hibbydog
29-10-2017, 07:32 AM

This.

Still no idea why we got awarded that free kick.

Brilliant decision!!!

matty_f
29-10-2017, 08:34 AM
Paul Hanlon got a goal against Dunfermline that didn't cross the line. Think we were 2-0 up at the time, heading towards full time.

Pretty Boy
29-10-2017, 08:42 AM
Ibrox this season.

Stokes was lucky not to be sent off and, whilst I think Jack deserved to be dismissed, plenty refs would have deemed it a booking.

We were already getting on top at that point but that definitely tipped the momentum right in our favour.

Dashing Bob S
29-10-2017, 08:58 AM
Cup final 2016. We were extremely fortunate not to have at least one key player sent off and were incredibly lucky not to have had a late penalty awarded against us.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Guessing that where we benefited from a wrong call we were on the other side of one sometime soon after that.

Bostonhibby
29-10-2017, 09:19 AM
Not strictly a refereeing decision, but in the 2016 cup final who knows how things might have ended if Dodgy Dave had ordered police Glasgow onto the pitch when the third went in instead of sending them to the party at ibrox when Halliday signalled he'd won them their first major cup?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

basehibby
29-10-2017, 10:10 AM
The majority of debateable decisions in Scotland tend to revolve around niggly fouls which often seem to be ignored to "let the game flow" or because "it's a man's game".

Hibs as a club tend to a less cynical style than many - I'm thinking the likes of the Jambos and Airdrie here - because of the pride the fanbase have in the likes of the famous 5 and their reputation for silky football.

The regretable result is that cheats are often allowed to prosper in Scottish football with clubs effectively penalised for NOT taking a cynical attitude to the game. This is a weight round the neck of the Scottish game as good players are often kicked out of the game (Duncan Watmore anybody?) whereas hammer throwers who will not cut it at a high level are over-represented. Also when we venture into Europe we tend to NOT get away with the sort of niggly fouls which we are used to being ignored - thereby handing the initiative to the opposition.

Keith_M
29-10-2017, 10:29 AM
I'm amazed how few yellow cards were dished out to Motherwell yesterday. They really are a dirty bunch of cloggers.

snooky
29-10-2017, 12:58 PM
I must admit that having been at the game & watched highlights i still have no idea why we got the pen. Having said that the timewasting & downright cheating was shocking. The thing that kicked it off was when Combe put the ball out for a throw in about 30/40 yards out. It wasn't even certain it was intentional. Jim Lauchlan had been writhing about in agony but when we took the throw in to ourselves he was up & running like Usain Bolt! I'm sure the howls of outrage from the Hibs fans helped us win the pen almost immediately after. Karma!
PS Freeland was the most incompetent ref ever but he was a sheep fan & I always wondered whether that helped him give the decision against the other half of the New Firm.

Dundee Untd in those days were a horrible team. Totally anti football and full of gamesmanship. I don't mind them nowadays but back then and before, I despised playing them.

Onion
29-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Giving retrospective reds to Hearts players after derby matches and downgrading reds given to Hibs players post match is the norm and proves that these things even out over time :wink:

snooky
29-10-2017, 02:52 PM
Giving retrospective reds to Hearts players after derby matches and downgrading reds given to Hibs players post match is the norm and proves that these things even out over time :wink:

They do. We've done the bumpy part. Time for the flat bit shirley.

erin go bragh
29-10-2017, 03:43 PM
Can't for the life of me, remember us getting any kind of decision in our favour in a derby . But decisions against us in derby matches by officials,that's another matter.

--------
29-10-2017, 04:11 PM
Dundee Untd in those days were a horrible team. Totally anti football and full of gamesmanship. I don't mind them nowadays but back then and before, I despised playing them.

That was Alex Smith's responsibility. As already said, smug, cynical and shameless. I also remember the look on his face when Freeland gave the penalty - smug gloat turning to absolute disbelief and outrage.

I've often thought that Freeland gave us the penalty because he was a pee'd off with the Arabs' carry-on as we were. I'm not sure that Matty wasn't as surprised as anyone to get the award, but if you don't try you don't get, and in a perverse sort of way justice was surely done that afternoon.

For those who haven't a clue what we're talking about ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgBQlenWbBk

"It's still pretty much unclear just why the penalty has been given ...." :faf:

(You have to understand that by the time Latapy took the penalty every other game in Scotland had been finished for about 15 minutes - that was how shameless the Arab time-wasting and cheating had been. Mind you, Lauchlan's miracle recovery from terminal writhing disease was no more shameless tbh than big Matty's dying swan act to get the pen. :faf:)

jakedance
29-10-2017, 04:26 PM
Remember that game well. Decision definitely in our favour.
What I didn’t realise was who the ref was - Alan Freeland.
Was he not same ref that totally lost it in a game against Falkirk a couple of years later, where everything went against us?

If it’s the same Falkirk game I’m thinking of it was the worst refereeing performance I’ve ever seen and the only time I’ve ever been 100% convinced we’ve been deliberately cheated by a bias referee.

--------
29-10-2017, 04:30 PM
If it’s the same Falkirk game I’m thinking of it was the worst refereeing performance I’ve ever seen and the only time I’ve ever been 100% convinced we’ve been deliberately cheated by a bias referee.

Clive Thomas, January 1969, Fairs' Cup v. Dirty Leeds United at ER. :grr:

You're right about that Falkirk game. Freeland was unbelievably bad that day.

jakedance
29-10-2017, 04:44 PM
A bit before my time auld yin.

--------
29-10-2017, 05:22 PM
A bit before my time auld yin.

I can think of a number of others involving Bobby Davidson and the Huns back in the day, and an obnoxious wee twerp called AJ Crawley who always refereed against us.

Just part of Scottish football culture.

Leeds United's Don Revie was something else, though - a genuine crook, corrupt to his marrow.

jgl07
29-10-2017, 05:35 PM

That wasn't all that riled the Arabs. They put the ball out of play for one of their spurious 'injuries', expecting that Hibs would give them the ball back from the throw in. Hibs didn't and went forward to win the (totally justified) penalty.

They got everything they deserved.

If anything, United benefited from the decision. It galvanised the support and the team with the sense of synthetic outrage and they got out of the relegation zone after looking doomed for the first half of the season.

--------
29-10-2017, 05:53 PM
That wasn't all that riled the Arabs. They put the ball out of play for one of their spurious 'injuries', expecting that Hibs would give them the ball back from the throw in. Hibs didn't and went forward to win the (totally justified) penalty.

They got everything they deserved.

If anything, United benefited from the decision. It galvanised the support and the team with the sense of synthetic outrage and they got out of the relegation zone after looking doomed for the first half of the season.

Aye, Matty went down like the proverbial dying swan, but there was illegal contact - the Arab player went into the back of him and clipped his heel. Laughlan was making out he was dying, but when we took the throw-in to ourselves he was up off the ground like a rocket. (And that was only the 15th or 20th time he'd tried that on in the match.)