PDA

View Full Version : Kris Commons

Hibbyradge
28-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Has there been any more chat about Commons joining us or not?

We definitely need more goals from midfield so he might just be the final piece in the jigsaw.

SirDavidsNapper
28-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Not really. Looks like he's forging a career as a pundit. I'd be astonished if he pulls the boots on again. Been out too long.

Jim44
28-10-2017, 06:26 PM
As long as his signing didn’t have any adverse effect on our budget, I think he would be a ‘good influence’ in terms of experience on and off the pitch.

The Modfather
28-10-2017, 06:30 PM
I’d rather give game time to the likes of Fraser Murray. As effective as he was with us last season, and agree about the lack of goals from midfield, but we’re at our best when playing at pace and a high tempo. Not sure Commons would fit into our current formation.

Andy74
28-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Not really. Looks like he's forging a career as a pundit. I'd be astonished if he pulls the boots on again. Been out too long.

Not sure why this pundit thing seems such a big issue for some. A few hours a week when he’s not playing is not going to impact on his ability to get back fit.

The likes of Kris Boyd and Steven Thomson have been doing it whilst playing.

Commons would be an excellent signing as we get into the second half of the season.

Cat Stanton
28-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Has there been any more chat about Commons joining us or not?

We definitely need more goals from midfield so he might just be the final piece in the jigsaw.

I'd rather have Henderson.

(Cue 150 page thread on his merits or otherwise...)

Scouse Hibee
28-10-2017, 06:52 PM
The longer it goes the less likely it is. No one really knows what level of fitness he can attain.

Hibbyradge
28-10-2017, 06:59 PM
The longer it goes the less likely it is. No one really knows what level of fitness he can attain.

Not really. His comeback was always going to be in the new year, if at all.

Andy74
28-10-2017, 07:58 PM

Yep, just because we aren’t getting updates it doesn’t mean he’s not getting fitter. As you say, was always going to be second half of the season if it happens.

Scouse Hibee
28-10-2017, 08:26 PM

If at all sums it up perfectly.

coco22
28-10-2017, 08:30 PM
Craig Gordon (love him or hate him) had an extended run in the media and many believed his career to be over. Despite foreverer being a hearts bassa, he got it back to on track. Age may be a major factor here but would never rule it out. FWIW I agree with the development of youth (Murray) over Commons

munchar
28-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Craig Gordon (love him or hate him) had an extended run in the media and many believed his career to be over. Despite foreverer being a hearts bassa, he got it back to on track. Age may be a major factor here but would never rule it out. FWIW I agree with the development of youth (Murray) over Commons

Commons or Murray?
Come on. When we develop players, they get taken off us anyway. With a guy like Commons, if fit, it’s a no brainer. Family settled here, wouldn’t be looking to move on. Could get a good couple of years from a quality player.

Johnny Clash
28-10-2017, 08:40 PM
I'd rather have Henderson.

(Cue 150 page thread on his merits or otherwise...)

Heard a rumour that Preston will be offering £300k for Hendo in January. I’d like to think we could match that but then there’s the wages to match too.

stoneyburn hibs
28-10-2017, 08:46 PM
I’d rather give game time to the likes of Fraser Murray. As effective as he was with us last season, and agree about the lack of goals from midfield, but we’re at our best when playing at pace and a high tempo. Not sure Commons would fit into our current formation.

This in spades, arguably the best midfield outside of Celtic. I'd rather develop (especially Fraser) our own players this season.

heretoday
28-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Bit late for Commons, I reckon. I'd take Kenny Miller though! :duck:

munchar
28-10-2017, 08:51 PM
This in spades, arguably the best midfield outside of Celtic. I'd rather develop (especially Fraser) our own players this season.

If Hearts had Murray or Commons playing on Tuesday, who would you be more concerned about?
Commons was about 10% fit in his few games for us last season, yet still played s MASSIVE part in our success.

California-Hibs
28-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Commons has made little noises here and there about it on SportSound over the past while. I wouldn’t rule it out yet

stoneyburn hibs
28-10-2017, 09:55 PM
If Hearts had Murray or Commons playing on Tuesday, who would you be more concerned about?
Commons was about 10% fit in his few games for us last season, yet still played s MASSIVE part in our success.

My point was that we have enough to realise our ambitions this season. We'd gain more long term if the likes of FM were given game time.

munchar
28-10-2017, 10:30 PM
My point was that we have enough to realise our ambitions this season. We'd gain more long term if the likes of FM were given game time.

I get your point and agree with your reasons, but I want us to develop a ruthless streak. We have to set our sights higher now. I would rather take a McGinn or McGeough of and replace them with a Commons.
We will probably have a good season and win nothing. A player of Commons caliber could maybe produce a bit of quality to win a big match?
I think Murray would also learn from these players, but I don’t think we have the luxury of giving youngsters game time to develop, when we are only winning games by a single goal. Was easier last season when we were 3/4 goals ahead.
⚽️🇳🇬👍

SquashedFrogg
28-10-2017, 10:47 PM

So...If one 'really knows', then how do 'you know' it's becoming less likely?

Just curious....

I'll trust our managers judgement on these things. If NL deems KC will improve us, then it's all good.

For me you can't have enough quality in a squad. Yes, he wouldn't play every minute, but he'd be a great influence.

neil7908
28-10-2017, 10:47 PM
I'm not desperate to get him in but if Lennon takes a look at him and decides he's worth a contract then fine.

Midfield is our strongest area of the pitch already. Murray has been mentioned on this thread but we have have a player on the books, Danny Swanson who scored plenty of goals at this level last year and hasn't had much chance in the first team. I'd like to see him get more minutes (when fit) and potentially in a more central role. Slivka has also shown flashes of real quality but hasn't started the last couple of games.

Also, who drops out of midfield to accommodate Commons? Is he going to oust McGinn, McGeouch, Bartley or Barker? As another poster alluded to I want to see us playing with pace, Commons might still have enough in the tank but he'll be playing a much higher calibre of opposition this year than last. I certainly wouldn't want us throwing big money at him.

Ozyhibby
28-10-2017, 11:42 PM
I really only think we need a striker in this window. Anything else would be a bonus.
Summer window is the big one because we will have to replace McGinn and possibly McGeogh. That will be a real test for Lennon.
But for Jan, just a striker please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tornadoes70
28-10-2017, 11:53 PM
I really only think we need a striker in this window. Anything else would be a bonus.
Summer window is the big one because we will have to replace McGinn and possibly McGeogh. That will be a real test for Lennon.
But for Jan, just a striker please.

Personally gutted when not if we lose young John as he is the player that we have watched develop into being the beating heart of the engine room of the team we have loved over the last number of years especially when winning the holy grail. It will be a very sad day when young John moves on but in all reality it's a day that is looming ever closer as we watch one of the best young players at ER since John Collins and then Scott Brown burst into the first team. Young John will always be remembered as Super John McGinn one of the nicest, brightest and best players we have ever seen at ER and will always be a Scottish Cup winning legend. One of the greatest young talents we have seen grace ER in the modern day.

Super John McGinn indeed.

GGTTH

silverhibee
29-10-2017, 12:39 AM
Yep, just because we aren’t getting updates it doesn’t mean he’s not getting fitter. As you say, was always going to be second half of the season if it happens.

He no longer trains at Lennoxtown, that came from one of the coaching staff at Celtc, is he not on holiday in Dubia at the moment. The worry is that in the few games he played for us "which he was good in" is that when he went back to Celtc his back flared up again and he couldn't train, a big risk for the club to take when he could break down at any time, do we really need him, another striker should be our priority in the next window.

truehibernian
29-10-2017, 12:55 AM
He no longer trains at Lennoxtown, that came from one of the coaching staff at Celtc, is he not on holiday in Dubia at the moment. The worry is that in the few games he played for us "which he was good in" is that when he went back to Celtc his back flared up again and he couldn't train, a big risk for the club to take when he could break down at any time, do we really need him, another striker should be our priority in the next window.

Personally wouldn't want KC at Hibs SH, not because I don't rate or like the guy, rather I'd love Hibs to go for the younger version at St Mirren, Lewis Morgan :aok:

NAE NOOKIE
29-10-2017, 01:56 AM
To be honest with every passing day my interest in seeing Commons back in a Hibs shirt gets less and less, in fact I never think of him at all until he's mentioned on here. I like the dynamic way we are playing at the moment and I wonder how a never gonna' be 100% fit Commons would fit into that.

SirDavidsNapper
29-10-2017, 04:41 AM
Who would we drop for an off the pace Commons who hasn't kicked a ball in a year?

InchHibby
29-10-2017, 05:31 AM
To be honest with every passing day my interest in seeing Commons back in a Hibs shirt gets less and less, in fact I never think of him at all until he's mentioned on here. I like the dynamic way we are playing at the moment and I wonder how a never gonna' be 100% fit Commons would fit into that.
Totally agree with this post, i don’t think he’ll ever get back to total fitness so better spending the money elsewhere.

Ozyhibby
29-10-2017, 07:51 AM
Personally gutted when not if we lose young John as he is the player that we have watched develop into being the beating heart of the engine room of the team we have loved over the last number of years especially when winning the holy grail. It will be a very sad day when young John moves on but in all reality it's a day that is looming ever closer as we watch one of the best young players at ER since John Collins and then Scott Brown burst into the first team. Young John will always be remembered as Super John McGinn one of the nicest, brightest and best players we have ever seen at ER and will always be a Scottish Cup winning legend. One of the greatest young talents we have seen grace ER in the modern day.

GGTTH

Allan Campbell at Motherwell would be worth a look. Would cost a fee but if we want quality then we will need to pay and I think we would get it back anyway.
And Steve Mallan has yet to play a single game for Barnsley. Might be worth trying to tempt him back to Scotland.

stonewaller1875
29-10-2017, 08:16 AM
Commons or Murray?
Come on. When we develop players, they get taken off us anyway. With a guy like Commons, if fit, it’s a no brainer. Family settled here, wouldn’t be looking to move on. Could get a good couple of years from a quality player.Agreed

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

stonewaller1875
29-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Bit late for Commons, I reckon. I'd take Kenny Miller though! :duck:

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Firestarter
29-10-2017, 08:27 AM
He's done.

The Modfather
29-10-2017, 08:34 AM
I get your point and agree with your reasons, but I want us to develop a ruthless streak. We have to set our sights higher now. I would rather take a McGinn or McGeough of and replace them with a Commons.
We will probably have a good season and win nothing. A player of Commons caliber could maybe produce a bit of quality to win a big match?
I think Murray would also learn from these players, but I don’t think we have the luxury of giving youngsters game time to develop, when we are only winning games by a single goal. Was easier last season when we were 3/4 goals ahead.
⚽️🇳🇬👍

We never gave the youngsters much of a go last season. Common consensus was it was too much of a gamble when we had to get up at all costs. This season we’re playing against better quality so games are tighter. I still hope that we also prioritise giving Murray, Porteous & Shaw (who has began to make cameos) game time as developing youth has been an issue for a long time.

munchar
29-10-2017, 09:05 AM
We never gave the youngsters much of a go last season. Common consensus was it was too much of a gamble when we had to get up at all costs. This season we’re playing against better quality so games are tighter. I still hope that we also prioritise giving Murray, Porteous & Shaw (who has began to make cameos) game time as developing youth has been an issue for a long time.

I agree with giving them game time when they’re in the squad. For example, Stokes injured yesterday so Shaw on the bench. Murray wasn’t doing much, so right to give him game time. However, if we had an experienced decent striker on the bench, I’d go with that option first. Oli Shaw is forcing Lennon to involve him with his performances for the development team. I don’t think some of the other young players are standing out as much week in week out.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-10-2017, 09:31 AM
If the boss thinks that Kris Commons is the answer to the need for more goals from midfield then I will trust his judgement. What I would say is that when the January window opens then at that time Commons needs to match fit and ready for the first team or we look elsewhere.

Sammy7nil
29-10-2017, 10:16 AM
He appears to be getting plenty TV and Radio work and imho doing very well. I can't see him having the time drive or motivation to get back playing at this level I will be very surprised if we see him at Hibs.

I think the money we would spend on Chris could now be better spent planning for next year and the long term rather than a six month cameo.

CRAZYHIBBY
29-10-2017, 10:20 AM
if he's had a microdiscectomy then chances are hes done.....i had one 18 weeks ago and although im better and done loads of walking and stuff i still feel stiff as a board at times and was aching after painting a bedroom yesterday

blackpoolhibs
29-10-2017, 10:25 AM
I have no idea how his rehab is going, seems i'm in the minority though. I also have no idea if he has given up hope of making a return, and see's himself as a pundit now?

Ray_
29-10-2017, 10:32 AM
If the boss thinks that Kris Commons is the answer to the need for more goals from midfield then I will trust his judgement. What I would say is that when the January window opens then at that time Commons needs to match fit and ready for the first team or we look elsewhere.

He is a free agent and can sign anytime, if needed.

kaimendhibs
29-10-2017, 11:47 AM

GGTTHWell said John [emoji23][emoji23] only kidding, agree completely

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Tornadoes70
29-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Well said John [emoji23][emoji23] only kidding, agree completely

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

:greengrin

Glory Glory

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-10-2017, 01:05 PM
He is a free agent and can sign anytime, if needed.

Indeed but the point I am making is that if he is the type of player that we need now, then he is either ready to sign now or we look elsewhere. Either another free agent or from another team in the window.

hibbyfraelibby
29-10-2017, 04:00 PM
If he comes it will surely be as a player/coach.

If we have the cash surely Hendo would be the wiser long term investment.

Ozyhibby
29-10-2017, 05:27 PM
If he comes it will surely be as a player/coach.

If we have the cash surely Hendo would be the wiser long term investment.

Hendo has had 18 months without first team football. It’s possible there are better targets out there now.

jacomo
29-10-2017, 06:58 PM
I'd sign him if it helps turn F Murray into the next Kris Commons.

Souter96Mac
29-10-2017, 07:11 PM
January will be an interesting one as I think a lot of clubs down south will be sniffing about some of the better players in our league. Can imagine Moult will be sought after, along with McGinn, throw in a couple of Aberdeen players as well. The biggest task for us is keeping our talents until summer or have the certainty that we can replace them with likewise quality.

Eyrie
29-10-2017, 10:22 PM
January will be an interesting one as I think a lot of clubs down south will be sniffing about some of the better players in our league. Can imagine Moult will be sought after, along with McGinn, throw in a couple of Aberdeen players as well. The biggest task for us is keeping our talents until summer or have the certainty that we can replace them with likewise quality.

Moult will be out of contract in the summer, so Motherwell will have to weigh the transfer fee against his goals giving them another cup run.

J-C
30-10-2017, 07:49 AM
I have no idea how his rehab is going, seems i'm in the minority though. I also have no idea if he has given up hope of making a return, and see's himself as a pundit now?

I'm like you G, haven't a clue how his rehab is or if indeed he wants back into football, if he gets fit enough it's a bonus for us.