PDA

View Full Version : NHC Next Scotland Manager odds

theonlywayisup
28-10-2017, 10:52 AM
As it had gone a bit quiet on the Scotland front, I thought I would check the latest odds. Below is the latest from Skybet, unless noted otherwise - who would you take from that list. My feeling is that it will be none of those noted below.

Evens David Moyes
9/4 Malky MacKay
9/1 Sam Allardyce
9/1 Derek McInnes
10/1 Michael O’Neill
12/1 Alex McLeish
12/1 Paul Lambert
20/1 Ally McCoist
20/1 Cesare Prandelli
22/1 Stuart McCall
25/1 John Collins
25/1 Scott Gemmill
25/1 Tommy Wright
25/1 Steve Clarke
25/1 Ryan Giggs (Bet Victor)
25/1 Billy Start (Bet Victor)
25/1 Mixu Paatelainen
28/1 Alex Neill
33/1 Alan Stubbs
33/1 Jurgen Klinsman (Bet Victor)
Other bets available but mostly bonkers
33/1 Neil Lennon
50/1 Darren Ferguson
50/1 Laurent Blanc
50/1 Joe Jordan (Bet Victor)
66/1 Graham Alexander
66/1 Jimmy Nicoll
80/1 Ian Cathro (25/1 with Bet Victor)
80/1 Chris Sutton
80/1 Thierry Henry
80/1 Shefki Kuqi

DarlingtonHibee
28-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Nae Harry rednapp, thank......

snooky
28-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Off the top of my head, from that list I think Lambert will get the gig. Not saying he'd be my choice though.

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2017, 11:25 AM
Malky MacKay would be a shocker after the importance they put on the role of Performance Director.

IGRIGI
28-10-2017, 11:49 AM
Kuqi 😂

Hulk1875
28-10-2017, 12:23 PM
John Collins possibly what use think?

Or wait and see how Northern Ireland get on and if go out appoint O'Neil

Smartie
28-10-2017, 12:31 PM
I'm off to see Sunderland today. I'll ask a few of the locals what they think of Moyes.

Tommy Wright for me.

John Collins isn't a bad shout.

Hulk1875
28-10-2017, 12:40 PM
I'm sure after Slovenia game he said should have played McGinn so reckon he'll want to use the up and coming players, he's not ties to a club and I think he'd like not having it full time like would be at a club might put £5 on haha

theonlywayisup
04-11-2017, 06:41 AM
Just checked the odds - can't see any changes in names or odds.

Surprised how quiet it's been.

As it had gone a bit quiet on the Scotland front, I thought I would check the latest odds. Below is the latest from Skybet, unless noted otherwise - who would you take from that list. My feeling is that it will be none of those noted below.

Evens David Moyes
9/4 Malky MacKay
9/1 Sam Allardyce
9/1 Derek McInnes
10/1 Michael O’Neill
12/1 Alex McLeish
12/1 Paul Lambert
20/1 Ally McCoist
20/1 Cesare Prandelli
22/1 Stuart McCall
25/1 John Collins
25/1 Scott Gemmill
25/1 Tommy Wright
25/1 Steve Clarke
25/1 Ryan Giggs (Bet Victor)
25/1 Billy Start (Bet Victor)
25/1 Mixu Paatelainen
28/1 Alex Neill
33/1 Alan Stubbs
33/1 Jurgen Klinsman (Bet Victor)
Other bets available but mostly bonkers
33/1 Neil Lennon
50/1 Darren Ferguson
50/1 Laurent Blanc
50/1 Joe Jordan (Bet Victor)
66/1 Graham Alexander
66/1 Jimmy Nicoll
80/1 Ian Cathro (25/1 with Bet Victor)
80/1 Chris Sutton
80/1 Thierry Henry
80/1 Shefki Kuqi

Barney McGrew
04-11-2017, 06:44 AM
Just checked the odds - can't see any changes in names or odds.

Surprised how quiet it's been.

It may well be because the main target is currently prepping his team for the play offs.

LustForLeith
04-11-2017, 06:48 AM
It may well be because the main target is currently prepping his team for the play offs.

Really?

Interesting

Billy Whizz
04-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Heard that too

GreenNWhiteArmy
04-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Can't imagine we'll do anything until after the year.

SFA won't want to pay someone when they don't need to.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Be Bold and get a name that can excite the fans and players. Look at the impact Brendan has had on a lot of the same players Delia struggled with

bingo70
04-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Can't imagine we'll do anything until after the year.

SFA won't want to pay someone when they don't need to.

Said it before and I'll say it again. Be Bold and get a name that can excite the fans and players. Look at the impact Brendan has had on a lot of the same players Delia struggled with

My concern about appointing a big name is they just assume Scottish football is pish and spend their time scouting any old pish playing anywhere in England that has a Scottish granny.

I want the new Scottish manager to be at Scottish league matches most weeks with the occasional jaunt down south if there’s someone that’s a bit special that needs to be watched.

I didn’t realise it until after he’d gone but Strachan was apparently never at Scottish league games and that’s an absolute disgrace imo.

cleanyman
04-11-2017, 09:34 AM
Pish.

Strachan was at games frequently.

bingo70
04-11-2017, 09:45 AM
Pish.

Strachan was at games frequently.

I’m not going to go trawling through the internet to find it but there were a couple of journalists who said he was rarely at Scottish league games. I was taking that as true, obviously with us not being in the top division I wouldn’t have expected him at Easter Road much I don’t recall many other games showing him being there.

If you say that’s wrong though I’ll retract that criticism of him.

Callum_62
04-11-2017, 09:58 AM

Craig Levein??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theonlywayisup
04-11-2017, 09:59 AM
Craig Levein??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:faf:

theonlywayisup
14-11-2017, 06:37 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41990054

O'Neill 'keen' to be next Scotland manager, so say the BBC.

It's going to be O'Neill, I think.

oneone73
14-11-2017, 06:52 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41990054

O'Neill 'keen' to be next Scotland manager, so say the BBC.

It's going to be O'Neill, I think.

BBC say Scotland are keen on O'Neill, not the other way round.

Billy Whizz
14-11-2017, 06:58 PM

I’d be surprised if SFA made noises about O’Neill, if they didn’t feel they had a chance of getting him

Hibby Bairn
14-11-2017, 07:49 PM
O’Neill to Rangers.

HoboHarry
14-11-2017, 07:50 PM
O’Neill to Rangers.

According to whom?

GreenNWhiteArmy
14-11-2017, 08:25 PM
Michael O'Neill should not be the next Scotland manager imo

I'll be renewing my TA membership and he'll get my full backing but we won't get the same success he had with NI

Michael
14-11-2017, 08:29 PM

I'll be renewing my TA membership and he'll get my full backing but we won't get the same success he had with NI

I think any half decent manager should get us to the Euros. Very easy to qualify for now.

bingo70
14-11-2017, 08:37 PM

I agree. There an element of laziness about going for him imo.

Norn Ireland recent success can be attributed to more than just the manager so I hope if the SFA do go for him they look beyond the job he’s done with Northern Ireland.

That said, loved him as a player so I’d love him to be a success as a manager for Scotland.

Billy Whizz
14-11-2017, 08:51 PM

Norn Ireland recent success can be attributed to more than just the manager so I hope if the SFA do go for him they look beyond the job he’s done with Northern Ireland.

That said, loved him as a player so I’d love him to be a success as a manager for Scotland.

Probably want him as he’s a proven International manager, that’s what he is

Tobias Funke
14-11-2017, 09:01 PM
O’Neill to Rangers.

Career suicide.

calumhibee1
14-11-2017, 09:09 PM

Can I ask why you say that? With NI I see a team that are player for player not as good as our squad yet look far more likely to qualify because they're getting more out of their players than we are. Surely that's down to the manager?

HoboHarry
14-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Career suicide.
I've seen nothing to back up what the poster stated.....

tamig
14-11-2017, 09:27 PM

So if not the manager, what’s their decent run over the past few years down to? MON has done a fantastic job with an average at best set of players.

oneone73
14-11-2017, 09:29 PM
So if not the manager, what’s their decent run over the past few years down to? MON has done a fantastic job with an average at best set of players.

Also did a great job with Shamrock Rovers - group stages of the Europa League

Firestarter
14-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Also did a great job with Shamrock Rovers - group stages of the Europa League

And in Scotland prior to that.

greenlex
15-11-2017, 02:21 AM
Anyone that can get Lafferty scoring regular deserves a shot at it.

theonlywayisup
15-11-2017, 07:01 AM

Listen to the reporter's video - he clearly states "my understanding is that O'Neill is 'keen' to the {Scotland) job".

Only reporting the information as presented.

Gettin' Auld
15-11-2017, 10:45 AM
I'd have thought John Collins was more suited to the Performance Director (or whatever he's called) gig that Malky's in.

Iain G
15-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Listen to the reporter's video - he clearly states "my understanding is that O'Neill is 'keen' to the {Scotland) job".

Only reporting the information as presented.

I would prefer Martin over Michael I think :agree:

bingo70
15-11-2017, 11:20 AM

I just think sometimes managers can find themselves fortunate to be managing the right team at the right time. I look at that Norn Iron team and question how much the likes of Hughes, Evans, Brunt, Mccaffrey and Davis need 'managed'? These guys all have around 100 caps and are approaching the end of their career. They won't need managed and will set the tone for the whole changing room, if anyone isn't pulling their weight MoN probably wont even need to get involved to an extent.

I'm not saying Michael O'neill would definitely fail, I just think sometimes there is a bigger picture to be looked at rather than just assuming good (or improved) team= Good manager.

To be fair to him I forgot about the excellent job he did at Shamrock Rovers but also worth remembering he lost his first 9 games at Norn Ireland, he simply wouldn't get that sort of time with Scotland.

Good luck to him if he does get it though.

Lago
15-11-2017, 11:27 AM
I would prefer Martin over Michael I think :agree:

No no no!

WeeRussell
15-11-2017, 12:13 PM
I just think sometimes managers can find themselves fortunate to be managing the right team at the right time. I look at that Norn Iron team and question how much the likes of Hughes, Evans, Brunt, Mccaffrey and Davis need 'managed'? These guys all have around 100 caps and are approaching the end of their career. They won't need managed and will set the tone for the whole changing room, if anyone isn't pulling their weight MoN probably wont even need to get involved to an extent.

I'm not saying Michael O'neill would definitely fail, I just think sometimes there is a bigger picture to be looked at rather than just assuming good (or improved) team= Good manager.

To be fair to him I forgot about the excellent job he did at Shamrock Rovers but also worth remembering he lost his first 9 games at Norn Ireland, he simply wouldn't get that sort of time with Scotland.

Good luck to him if he does get it though.

Craig Levein did.

Northern Ireland are p1sh, and he made a brilliant fist of what he had. If that came after a poor run of form after he first came-in.. does that not suggest he did come in and turn things round? Surely the experienced players above didn't suddenly become able to manage the team themselves half way through O'Neill's tenure?

O'Neill has done very well with Northern Ireland. Absolutely no doubt.

bingo70
15-11-2017, 12:34 PM
Craig Levein did.

Northern Ireland are p1sh, and he made a brilliant fist of what he had. If that came after a poor run of form after he first came-in.. does that not suggest he did come in and turn things round? Surely the experienced players above didn't suddenly become able to manage the team themselves half way through O'Neill's tenure?

O'Neill has done very well with Northern Ireland. Absolutely no doubt.

He has, and i'm not saying otherwise.

I am saying though that just because he did such a good job there he may not be able to replicate that with Scotland.

Terry Butcher did a great job with Inverness but was dreadful for us. It happens, that's why I'm saying you need to probe further than just how well they've done in a recent job. As it happens he also did a great job with Shamrock Rovers that I forgot about when making my original post so I maybe did him a diss-service, I don't have faith in the SFA asking the right questions to establish if he is the right man for the job or not though.

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-11-2017, 01:20 PM
Approach made today for Michael O Neill by the SFA

bingo70
17-11-2017, 08:37 PM
Few media outlets on twitter saying deal been agreed and Scotland allowed to talk to Michael O’Neill.

https://youtu.be/dvgDNxueTtA

Mr White
17-11-2017, 08:44 PM
All the best to him if he becomes Scotland manager but my gut feeling is he won't be a success unfortunately. Mostly due to our chronic lack of central defenders good enough to play international football.

Incidentally would this be the first time a manager has left one of the home nations to take over at another? In fact has anyone else ever managed more than one of England Scotland Wales or NI in their career?

Lancs Harp
17-11-2017, 09:22 PM
Slightly off topic but I see Chris Coleman is leaving Wales to take the Sunderland job.

Mr White
17-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Slightly off topic but I see Chris Coleman is leaving Wales to take the Sunderland job.

That's brave and probably a mistake IMO.

From semi finals of the Euros to bottom end of the English championship in less than 18 months!

Dashing Bob S
17-11-2017, 09:31 PM
Malky McKay. About time we had a sexist Nazi homophobe in the post. If we are to progress as a liberal society we have to show our tolerance by appointing such people to key posts.

DarlingtonHibee
17-11-2017, 09:35 PM

Huge mistake....

yonder1875
17-11-2017, 10:20 PM

You are difinitively saying he won't better what he done at NI with a better group of players with us? Why not?

He got them to a tournament, if he gets us to one he's done a great job.

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-11-2017, 10:53 PM
You are difinitively saying he won't better what he done at NI with a better group of players with us? Why not?

It's either on this thread or the other one I've given my thoughts. My gut feel right now is he's not the man for the job.

The strengths of the NI side and ours are completely different, as are the expectations (he won't get the freedom he got at the start of his NI reign with us)

I'd love MON, a former Hibee to come in and be the man to take us to an international tournament, for me personally it'd be great and certainly make the last 5 or 6 campaigns I've followed the country home and away worthwhile.

What is clear is the SFA appear to have got the man they wanted in the first place so that can only be a positive

J-C
18-11-2017, 05:13 AM
Scotland have some of the best group of young players we've had for quite a while, if he can get the defence sorted he'll do well.

SouthMoroccoStu
18-11-2017, 06:33 AM
I'd have thought John Collins was more suited to the Performance Director (or whatever he's called) gig that Malky's in.

Of course he should be

But the sfa want a narrow visioned yes man to keep the status quo

JimBHibees
18-11-2017, 07:27 AM

Definitely arguable whether we have a better group of players. Their defence is miles better than ours with McAuley, Evans and Cathcart, Davis in midfield also is excellent.

CorrieHibs
18-11-2017, 07:41 AM

I don't rate him as a manager. I know he got to the semi's at the euro's.
Wales are a very good side and should of been capable of winning their group for the WC. 3rd place was shocking finish for them.

Sunderland is a poisonous chalice just now. Wrong choice for him.

Will be interesting to see who Wales appoint.

easty
18-11-2017, 08:00 AM
Definitely arguable whether we have a better group of players. Their defence is miles better than ours with McAuley, Evans and Cathcart, Davis in midfield also is excellent.

What's so special about Craig Cathcart like?

Evans and McAuley are definitely way better than we have at centre half though.

It's not arguable that we have a better squad of players, at all. We clearly do.

JimBHibees
18-11-2017, 08:47 AM

It's not arguable that we have a better squad of players, at all. We clearly do.

Cathcart plays most weeks in the premier league we have league one playing Charlie Mulgrew and Berra. We don't clearly have better players or we would be getting to play offs and tournaments.

GreenNWhiteArmy
18-11-2017, 09:00 AM

Both squads are completely different. NI are fairly strong in the centre of defence and will head in to most games knowing they can sneak a 1-0.

Our squad, probably our best in a number of years has many talented players going forward but we lack that imposing centre half.

Strachan certainly over achieved with some of the results in the 2nd half of the campaign imo.

People are trying to use the fact NI qualified as a barometer and whilst that's the objective th3 circumstances are entirely different. Would Brendan Rodgers do a better job than MON for NI? Not imo they'd be cut open by most but yet in England and Scotland he's been relatively successful

yonder1875
18-11-2017, 09:38 AM

Centre of defence is the only part of their squad that is stronger than ours imo and I wouldn't swap Stuart Armstrong for Davis.

They've got bloody Kyle Lafferty up front and we've got Leigh Griffiths!

eastmainsmsh
18-11-2017, 09:56 AM
michael o neills goal v motherwell on the counter attack at easter road was a peach ⚽

NORTHERNHIBBY
18-11-2017, 11:57 AM
I would welcome his appointment if for no other reason than it would be a break from the usual suspects who want their turn on the gravy train. He would view this as a step up in his career which is far better motivation than Lambert or Moyes who would be keeping their hand in until something better pops up.

guthrie01
18-11-2017, 12:04 PM
That's brave and probably a mistake IMO.

From semi finals of the Euros to bottom end of the English championship in less than 18 months!

Is it a mistake for him to go to Sunderland ?

Sunderland are a club completely on the down, if he does turn it around he will likely get a much higher job offer. If he doesn't get it right and they go down, then he can use the excuse that Sunderland are a poor club that no manger could save.

easty
18-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Cathcart plays most weeks in the premier league we have league one playing Charlie Mulgrew and Berra. We don't clearly have better players or we would be getting to play offs and tournaments.

Naw he doesnae. He played 15 premiership games last season, 1 this season.

We do clearly have better players, not making the playoffs doesn't prove they're better players, it proves they had a better campaign.

Our defence is ****...but I'd have our keepers, midfielders and strikers ahead of theirs. Lafferty and Magennis up front. Brutal.

bingo70
19-11-2017, 06:59 AM
West Brom apparently in for Michael o’ Neil now.

Wonder if we’ve got a plan b lined up.

Frazerbob
20-11-2017, 09:04 AM
Michael O'Neil's mother has sadly passed away so I doubt there'll be any movement with him any time soon.

GreenNWhiteArmy
20-11-2017, 10:03 AM
West Brom apparently in for Michael o’ Neil now.

Wonder if we’ve got a plan b lined up.

Could be between him & McInnes - The latter has a bigger sway for the club though so think they'll make a move for McInnes today.

Scotland and Rangers for that matter could do a lot worse than appoint Tony Pulis. Think he might take the Wales job on now

CallumLaidlaw
20-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Mcinnes is 7/4 for the West Brom job. O'Neill is 9/4 and Allardyce is 3/1

Mcleish is now 5/6 for the Rangers job, and Mcinnes is 7/4 for that.

O'Neill is 1/4 for Scotland job, then Lambert is 4/1.