PDA

View Full Version : SFA Consider Murrayfield to replace Hampden from 2020

LaMotta
27-10-2017, 05:38 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41780012

hmmm.

Both grounds pretty crap for football. Hampden miles away from pitch in 2 stands. Murrayfield miles away in 3.

Some great memories of Hampden, but a day out at Murrayfield would be cracking.

SFA probably just using this as a platform to keep costs down for next Hampden rental.

OxoHibby
27-10-2017, 05:48 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/41780012

hmmm.

Both grounds pretty crap for football. Hampden miles away from pitch in 2 stands. Murrayfield miles away in 3.

Some great memories of Hampden, but a day out at Murrayfield would be cracking.

SFA probably just using this as a platform to keep costs down for next Hampden rental.

How is Murray field miles away in 3?

LaMotta
27-10-2017, 05:50 PM
How is Murray field miles away in 3?

Have you been?

The main stand is miles away cos of a massive running track and the 2 behind the goal are miles away as the pitch gets shortened for football.

brog
27-10-2017, 06:18 PM
The running track at Murrayfield is ludicrous. Which genius thought that one up?

Cabbage East
27-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Have you been?

The main stand is miles away cos of a massive running track and the 2 behind the goal are miles away as the pitch gets shortened for football.

Launch this yam :greengrin

LaMotta
27-10-2017, 07:02 PM
Launch this yam :greengrin

Him for sticking up for Murrayfield or me for saying ive been there? :greengrin

Deansy
27-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Can anyone see the GFA seriously consider making the 'Ugly Sisters' play semi-finals and finals AWAY from Glasgow - NEVER happen !. Would love to see it but I doubt it'll happen !

SirDavidsNapper
27-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Been advocating this for donks

Pete
27-10-2017, 07:22 PM
One end will be known as the Hibs end and the other the Hearts end.

Who could possibly object?

MurrayfieldHibs
27-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Been advocating this for donks

Shhhhh. Don’t want the weegie riffraff here thanks. It is going to be bad enough tomorrow. I have raised the drawbridge, set the dogs out, electrified the fence and hired additional security guards.

McD
27-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Can anyone see the GFA seriously consider making the 'Ugly Sisters' play semi-finals and finals AWAY from Glasgow - NEVER happen !. Would love to see it but I doubt it'll happen !

:agree:

Cant see the police being happy having 60odd thousand weegie orcs all travelling along the M8 at the same time, in both directions. Can you imagine the carnage?

Firestarter
27-10-2017, 07:43 PM
No chance it will happen.

Ricky Bobby
27-10-2017, 07:45 PM

100% this. No way the GFA would entertain moving out of the weeg.
On a side note I fancy Berra to score at least nine points tomorrow after watching his display on Tuesday.

wpj
27-10-2017, 07:46 PM
Shhhhh. Don’t want the weegie riffraff here thanks. It is going to be bad enough tomorrow. I have raised the drawbridge, set the dogs out, electrified the fence and hired additional security guards.

Get plenty bleach for the pavements too. Buckie staines are hard to shift

lord bunberry
27-10-2017, 07:47 PM
No chance it will happen.
Agreed, self interest is all that matters to the jokers running our game. There’s no way they’d all up sticks and move through here. Hampden will be the national stadium for the foreseeable future.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
27-10-2017, 07:48 PM
The running track at Murrayfield is ludicrous. Which genius thought that one up?

:agree: Mental.

Ryan69
27-10-2017, 07:49 PM

Hearts dont do semi finals and finals these days.

And probably wont for a long time either. :)

Swedish hibee
27-10-2017, 07:51 PM
A country the size of Scotland should never have 2 national stadiums!!

Clarence
27-10-2017, 08:05 PM
Been advocating this for dorks

Fixed that for you

IGRIGI
27-10-2017, 08:10 PM
As mentioned can't imagine Police Scotland being happy at 60 odd thousand Rantic supporters through in Edinburgh.

For all its faults I've always liked Hampden, I'd rather upgrade it than move elsewhere.

Mick O'Rourke
27-10-2017, 08:11 PM

Edinburgh City possibly!!

Deansy
27-10-2017, 08:14 PM

Half right - one end will be 'Hibs-end' but the other one ? - 'Visitors' !

Firestarter
27-10-2017, 08:17 PM
Agreed, self interest is all that matters to the jokers running our game. There’s no way they’d all up sticks and move through here. Hampden will be the national stadium for the foreseeable future.

Correct. It could be used as a bargaining tool for a revamp or cheaper rate to Hampden park ltd mind.

Albion Hibs
27-10-2017, 08:19 PM
Murrayfield is a very well connected stadium in public transport terms which in many ways is good enough reason to think about a change. That said the influx of Rangers and celtic fans on a frequent basis is something all Edinburgh residents should be concerned about!

All said aid rangers and Celtic would never allow the sfa to consider it...and they just do whatever they are told.

lord bunberry
27-10-2017, 08:20 PM
Correct. It could be used as a bargaining tool for a revamp or cheaper rate to Hampden park ltd mind.
I think that’s exactly what they’re doing. If Murrayfield was in Glasgow, Hampden wouldn’t have been renovated the last time.

Scorrie
27-10-2017, 08:27 PM
Cannae see it happening. Hearts will still be using it for home games given the rate of progress on their new stand...

Danderhall Hibs
27-10-2017, 08:30 PM
100% this. No way the GFA would entertain moving out of the weeg.
On a side note I fancy Berra to score at least nine points tomorrow after watching his display on Tuesday.

I reckon Souttar will be on kicking duties. He seems to be their main man for everything.

Sammy7nil
27-10-2017, 09:05 PM
For accessibility I would love it but it is terrible for watching football when Hibs played Barca it was a terrible view for me.

Halmyre Hibee
27-10-2017, 09:32 PM
I think Murrayfield would be a great idea. 67000 capacity better than Hampden.

12.15 kick off times for semi finals involving the old firm to test their loyalty.

SuperAllyMcleod
27-10-2017, 09:41 PM
I think the SFA are just using this to get a good deal from Queens Park but it would be interesting to see what happens if the SRU went to the SFA and offered them a deal they found difficult to turn down.

southern hibby
27-10-2017, 09:45 PM
Move it to Murrayfield. I think within 10-12 years Hibs will play more semi-finals and finals there than hearts have played league games there.

GGTTH

heretoday
27-10-2017, 10:07 PM
This is not going to go down well in Corstorphine.

Ozyhibby
27-10-2017, 10:38 PM
This is not going to go down well in Corstorphine.

I live in Corstorphine, I doubt anyone cares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnus
27-10-2017, 10:44 PM
SFA and SRU should just get together and tear down Murrayfield and build an exact replica of the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. No need to pay for any expensive design proposals, just use the original drawings.
I've been there for football (West Ham v Preston play off) also Wales / Scotland 6 Nations, the place works great for both sports.
Having the roof means that games don't need to be postponed because of bad weather, and also the place can be used for stadium gigs and big sporting events like the World Speedway Final and the Anthony Joshua fight tomorrow night.
Would be amazing to see a proper 'National Stadium' in the Capital.

ozhibs
27-10-2017, 11:53 PM
SFA and SRU should just get together and tear down Murrayfield and build an exact replica of the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff. No need to pay for any expensive design proposals, just use the original drawings.
I've been there for football (West Ham v Preston play off) also Wales / Scotland 6 Nations, the place works great for both sports.
Having the roof means that games don't need to be postponed because of bad weather, and also the place can be used for stadium gigs and big sporting events like the World Speedway Final and the Anthony Joshua fight tomorrow night.

It still pisses me off that we paid more to revamp Hampden than build a new stadium like the Millenium .

Bristolhibby
28-10-2017, 06:39 AM
A country the size of Scotland should never have 2 national stadiums!!

Talk us down much?

G B Young
28-10-2017, 08:37 AM
Talk us down much?

Is it really talking Scotland down to suggest that we have one, multi-purpose national stadium which could hopefully be brought up to a top-quality standard? Both Hampden and Murrayfield are under-used.

I'd be all for Murrayfield becoming the national sports stadium. There would never be a problem getting a ticket for a final, although the big issue would be if Celtic and the Rangers were to meet in a semi or final. Hard to imagine that being sanctioned.

I hope the SFA at least consider using Murrayfield for cup clashes involving East Coast teams.

neil7908
28-10-2017, 08:49 AM
I'd like to to see it, or possibly sharing duties between Hampden and Murrayfield but as others have said, never happen in a million years.

GreenNWhiteArmy
28-10-2017, 09:12 AM
I'd be up for it. Or as others have said rip both them down and build a purpose built sports arena for football and rugby.

In regards to over 60k weegies travelling through that's no quite the case.

Unfortunately plenty of them will also come from Edinburgh and all round the country. They're everywhere. Just like a Manchester derby in the FA Cup semi or final wouldn't solely draw 90k fans from Manchester

Bristolhibby
28-10-2017, 09:19 AM
One massive issue with a new single multi sport site.

££££

That and the “tradition” will ensure it will never happen.

I don’t mind Murrayfield. I admit it’s austere to the maximum definition of the word. In the days of padded seats and enclosed atriums its well past dated.

As had been pointed out, Cardiff is the benchmark for National stadiums. Cracking venue, great location, great facilities (beer easy to buy), supberb sightlines due to the camber of the seats, great transport links (certainly heading East Out of Wales for us). And didn’t cost the scandalous fortune that Wembley did.

J

Phil MaGlass
28-10-2017, 11:18 AM
I think its a bargaining tool for a better deal, but it would be great if true. National stadium for rugby and fitba in Embra.Edinburgh is becoming more and more world renowned,recrntly voted No1 tourist destination. Home of Scottish Parliament, expanding airport, great transport system. Whats not to like. The training facilities at M,field are excellent.A bit 9f an upgrade and u have a world class stadium on our doorstep. How good would it be to play in front of home crowds like the advantage the uglies have had for over a century. I think Edinburgh is more attractive to the SFA than we all think.

Keith_M
28-10-2017, 11:30 AM
Regarding the distance between the West Stand at Murrayfield and the pitch: This was done purposely so they could have a running track on that side of the ground.

Basically, 20k+ people are unnecessarily far from the pitch to facilitate a completely pointless running track.

What on earth were they thinking when they put that in as part of the design?

Danderhall Hibs
28-10-2017, 11:35 AM
Regarding the distance between the West Stand at Murrayfield and the pitch: This was done purposely so they could have a running track on that side of the ground.

Basically, 20k+ people are unnecessarily far from the pitch to facilitate a completely pointless running track.

What on earth were they thinking when they put that in as part of the design?

I’ve no idea what that’s for. I’ve been on it to do a 100 metre beep test back in my hey day but surely it wasn’t built for that?!

Keith_M
28-10-2017, 11:41 AM
I’ve no idea what that’s for. I’ve been on it to do a 100 metre beep test back in my hey day but surely it wasn’t built for that?!

Somebody suggested that it might have been intended to host the annual New Year Sprint but, if that's the case, it really can't be justified to design the stadium like that just for a once yearly event that attracts a very small audience.

Ozyhibby
28-10-2017, 12:01 PM
It makes so much sense that there is no way I can see the SFA doing it.

Hibbyradge
28-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Not. A. Chance.

WHAM
28-10-2017, 12:36 PM
Anyone watching the Hearts-Huns game must see that murrayfield is a terrible stadium for watching footballl. Stands are even further from the pitch than hampden and just doesn't look right needing to be brought in like that.

Hampden is far from perfect but much better than murrayfield for football.

And as much as it pains me to say, Parkhead and Ibrox are far superior football stadiums than both. Stands close to the pitch and much better atmosphere. Scotland v Ireland at parkhead a couple of years ago was one of the best atmosphere I've heard at a Scotland game.

If the SFA don't decide to renew the tenancy at Hampden and if there is no viable option to bring the stands closer to the pitch (which I can't see happening) then I would much prefer Scotland games or Cup finals being played at either Ibrox/Parkhead.

If murrayfield wasn't in Edinburgh, there is no way in hell there would be as many on here in support of it.

jakedance
28-10-2017, 01:45 PM
Murrayfield isn’t a good stadium for football. We’re best just staying at Hampden.

Ideally we would knock them both down and build a new national stadium for both sports but I can’t see that ever happening. It’s a shame so much has already been spent doing a half arsed job of redeveloping them. An opportunity missed.

Ozyhibby
28-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Hopefully it comes down to finances. Renting Murrayfield would be a lot cheaper than keeping Hampden.

overdrive
28-10-2017, 04:09 PM
I’m currently sitting next to two Sevco fans on the train to Glasgow. The wifey over by was asking them what Murrayfield was like as a football stadium. Their reply was that it would have been excellent if full but it was pretty crap being half empty.

SunshineOnLeith
28-10-2017, 04:15 PM
One massive issue with a new single multi sport site.

££££

That and the “tradition” will ensure it will never happen.

I don’t mind Murrayfield. I admit it’s austere to the maximum definition of the word. In the days of padded seats and enclosed atriums its well past dated.

As had been pointed out, Cardiff is the benchmark for National stadiums. Cracking venue, great location, great facilities (beer easy to buy), supberb sightlines due to the camber of the seats, great transport links (certainly heading East Out of Wales for us). And didn’t cost the scandalous fortune that Wembley did.

J

Murrayfield has the location and transport links every bit as good as the Millennium. It just needs a bit of TLC and bringing up to date - for rugby the open-ness of it actually works quite well because all the beer tents etc are just dotted around outside and there's no segregation so it has a bit of a fesitval feel to it. Would need re-thinking for football but if there was an opportunity to free up some funds and for the SFA and the SRU to work together on upgrading it, there's no reason it couldn't be done.

It's already, despite its age, the best stadium in Scotland and especially with the tram now has some of the best transportation links as well.

Rangers and Celtic fans inability to behave like human beings when they play each other isn't a reason upon which to justify sticking with Hampden.

Lendo
28-10-2017, 04:27 PM
I’m currently sitting next to two Sevco fans on the train to Glasgow. The wifey over by was asking them what Murrayfield was like as a football stadium. Their reply was that it would have been excellent if full but it was pretty crap being half empty.

Friends at the game today said exactly the same thing.

G B Young
28-10-2017, 04:34 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41788768

The SRU make some strong points in Murrayfield's favour.

With further investment it could be made into a better venue for watching football. The Olympic Stadium which West Ham now use has retractable banks of seats depending what sport is on show. Not saying that would be feasible, but I imagine the running track could be done away with if required.

As others have pointed out it also has far easier transport links than Hampden.

stoneyburn hibs
28-10-2017, 05:15 PM
I doubt it'll happen but it would be (selfishly) great.
One national stadium is a no brainer, and where it should be. Larger capacity, scope to restructure, and most importantly imo it's far easier to disperse from it en-masse compared to Hampden, which is a mare.

ancient hibee
28-10-2017, 07:05 PM

And the money to tear down and rebuild would come from where exactly?

superfurryhibby
28-10-2017, 07:25 PM
Anyone watching the Hearts-Huns game must see that murrayfield is a terrible stadium for watching footballl. Stands are even further from the pitch than hampden and just doesn't look right needing to be brought in like that.

Hampden is far from perfect but much better than murrayfield for football.

And as much as it pains me to say, Parkhead and Ibrox are far superior football stadiums than both. Stands close to the pitch and much better atmosphere. Scotland v Ireland at parkhead a couple of years ago was one of the best atmosphere I've heard at a Scotland game.

If the SFA don't decide to renew the tenancy at Hampden and if there is no viable option to bring the stands closer to the pitch (which I can't see happening) then I would much prefer Scotland games or Cup finals being played at either Ibrox/Parkhead.

If murrayfield wasn't in Edinburgh, there is no way in hell there would be as many on here in support of it.

I was last at Parkhead for Scotland V Ireland and have to agree, it was superior to Hampden in every way. Great elevation and view and big enough to cater for all national events and ticket demand.

Either way, Hampden has nothing much going for it , except history.

Phil MaGlass
30-10-2017, 05:36 AM
And the money to tear down and rebuild would come from where exactly?

the fact that it would host large rock events, rugby and football there is the chance the stadium would get government cash to improve, I don´t think the stadium would be majorly revamped for a few years, but, the opportunity is there to have a world class stadium, whether some like it or not. Many folk don´t want to move from Hampden, many think its a hole, whether its M,field or Hampden you are not going to please everyone, but, the more this goes on, the more I see M,field as viable and I look forward to the day they eventually move to M,field.
I would like to add that last time I left M,field it was a disaster, you had to leave through tiny streets, barriers and you could not reach Haymarket station, it was a disaster waiting to happen, very dangerous situation.

McSwanky
30-10-2017, 11:53 AM
The only thing Hampden has got going for it is the museum, which is really well done IMO. But that could be anywhere.

As a major sports facility, Hampden's dreadful. As has been said before, Celtic Park and Ibrox are far better venues for football. I would venture that for atmosphere generation, Ibrox probably has the edge, despite its age.

I'm not familiar with Murrayfield, but I'm pretty sure it couldn't be any worse than Hampden.

Let's not forget that we also have two 20,000+ seaters in Scotland, one of which is ideally located to host smaller Scotland games and semi finals. I believe another super-duper 20,000+(ish) megadome is about to be completed (at least some time in the next 6 months or so) which will be capable of hosting those games as well, but don't hold your breath on that front...

I see no need for Hampden in the short term or long term. Time to think outside the box and do something different.

Italy play internationals at loads of club grounds;
Spain play internationals at loads of club grounds;
Germany play internationals at loads of club grounds;
France play internationals at loads of club grounds, and share Stade de France with the rugby team.

Why, in this day and age, does Scotland need a dedicated stadium for internationals and cup finals? The only sticking point would be Rangers v Celtic cup finals, which could be hosted at Murrayfield.

Get it bulldozed!

NAE NOOKIE
30-10-2017, 12:22 PM
The only thing Hampden has got going for it is the museum, which is really well done IMO. But that could be anywhere.

As a major sports facility, Hampden's dreadful. As has been said before, Celtic Park and Ibrox are far better venues for football. I would venture that for atmosphere generation, Ibrox probably has the edge, despite its age.

I'm not familiar with Murrayfield, but I'm pretty sure it couldn't be any worse than Hampden.

Let's not forget that we also have two 20,000+ seaters in Scotland, one of which is ideally located to host smaller Scotland games and semi finals. I believe another super-duper 20,000+(ish) megadome is about to be completed (at least some time in the next 6 months or so) which will be capable of hosting those games as well, but don't hold your breath on that front...

I see no need for Hampden in the short term or long term. Time to think outside the box and do something different.

Italy play internationals at loads of club grounds;
Spain play internationals at loads of club grounds;
Germany play internationals at loads of club grounds;
France play internationals at loads of club grounds, and share Stade de France with the rugby team.

Why, in this day and age, does Scotland need a dedicated stadium for internationals and cup finals? The only sticking point would be Rangers v Celtic cup finals, which could be hosted at Murrayfield.

Get it bulldozed!

They can do that because every country you mention has large cities dotted around the country, a luxury Scotland doesn't enjoy. World cup and Euro qualifiers will never be played at ER, Pittodrie or the PBS because they don't have the capacity and the PBS pitch is too small and there is only so much appetite for friendly matches against the worlds also rans. Friendlies against Germany or Brazil for example would still be played in Glasgow to maximise income.

McSwanky
30-10-2017, 12:40 PM
They can do that because every country you mention has large cities dotted around the country, a luxury Scotland doesn't enjoy. World cup and Euro qualifiers will never be played at ER, Pittodrie or the PBS because they don't have the capacity and the PBS pitch is too small and there is only so much appetite for friendly matches against the worlds also rans. Friendlies against Germany or Brazil for example would still be played in Glasgow to maximise income.

Not sure I entirely agree with that, the official attendance of the Slovenia home game was just over 20,000, whilst the Malta game pulled in 26k - surely a full Easter Road is better in those instances than a less than half full 50k+ seater? I think a good few of the 'smaller' qualifiers would benefit from being in a smaller stadium. Granted, a 30,000 seater would probably be better suited, but we're pretty well covered for stadia for a country our size.

I have no problem playing the bigger games at bigger stadia, but we have 3 of those already - two in Glasgow and one in Edinburgh. I'm not sure I see the problem here!

hibsforeurope
30-10-2017, 01:10 PM
I think the small pitch dimensions Hearts have marked out don't do Murrayfield any favours. If the pitch was marked the same size as at Hampden it wouldn't look as bad as it does currently, certainly the side stands would be a lot closer to the touchlines.

A full Murrayfield can generate a good atmosphere, every bit as good as if not better than Hampden.

The Friendly with Barcelona or the half empty hearts games are not good examples of how the stadium should be judged.

Billy Whizz
30-10-2017, 01:12 PM
I think the small pitch dimensions Hearts have marked out don't do Murrayfield any favours. If the pitch was marked the same size as at Hampden it wouldn't look as bad as it does currently, certainly the side stands would be a lot closer to the touchlines.

A full Murrayfield can generate a good atmosphere, every bit as good as if not better than Hampden.

The Friendly with Barcelona or the half empty hearts games are not good examples of how the stadium should be judged.

Have they made the pitch the same length and width as Tynie?

Hampden 115 yards x 75 yards
Tynecastle 100 yards x 64 yards

Iain G
30-10-2017, 01:13 PM

Yup and they've also taken some of the seats out of one of the stands and partially disassembled it to make it properly feel like Tynecastle :agree:

hibsforeurope
30-10-2017, 01:15 PM

Then have the same width but it's longer due to the positioning of the post inserts.

Ozyhibby
30-10-2017, 04:00 PM
https://stripthetitles.com/the-murrayfield-question-poll/

Ozyhibby
30-10-2017, 04:09 PM
A decision to move away from Hampden and use Murrayfield and other grounds would be a benefit to Hibs that our poor unfortunate neighbours would not have with their tiny pitch. Could be a nice little earner for Hibs.

HoboHarry
30-10-2017, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this push towards Murrayfield by the SFA was somehow connected to a temporary Sevco move to Hampden while work is done on Ibrox.

Keith_M
30-10-2017, 05:12 PM

Hampden 115 yards x 75 yards
Tynecastle 100 yards x 64 yards

They could only change the width, the length is fixed because of the location of the inbuilt goalposts

I don't think the Tynacastle pitch is as narrow as you suggest. I think it's actually 70 yards.

Lancs Harp
30-10-2017, 05:16 PM
They could only change the width, the length is fixed because of the location of the inbuilt goalposts

I don't think the Tynacastle pitch is as narrow as you suggest. I think it's actually 70 yards.

Pitch at Tynecastle is 107 x 74 according to the football ground guide.

Billy Whizz
30-10-2017, 05:25 PM

http://www.football-stadiums.co.uk/grounds/scotland/tynecastle/

100 x 64 on this one

Lancs Harp
30-10-2017, 05:34 PM

100 x 64 on this one

Who knows then, perhaps it changes every week :greengrin

An older version of the Sky (ex Rothmans series) footballing bible has it at 100 x 64, book is about 5 years old though.

Here's the link to the footballguide.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/scottish-spl-premier-and-football-league-clubs/scottish-premier-league/heart-of-midlothian-tynecastle-stadium.html

CorrieHibs
30-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Can't see it but I would love if Scotland moved to Murrayfield. The national stadium is currently in a city that doesn't support Scotland. Half support Ireland and the rest NI and England.

McD
30-10-2017, 07:15 PM

Is is that maybe yards rather than metres?

Nakedmanoncrack
30-10-2017, 08:50 PM
Can't see it but I would love if Scotland moved to Murrayfield. The national stadium is currently in a city that doesn't support Scotland. Half support Ireland and the rest NI and England.

And Edinburgh supports rugby..

Utter nonsense.

fat freddy
30-10-2017, 09:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this push towards Murrayfield by the SFA was somehow connected to a temporary Sevco move to Hampden while work is done on Ibrox.

Read something along the same lines on a blog earlier today, cant remember if it was Johnjames or Phil Mac but the blog stated that a meeting of the sevco board is being held later this week with one item on the agenda, Essential repairs to their stadium and the lack of money with which to do it. The suggestion was sevco move to Hampden with Ibrox no longer fit for purpose.

Keith_M
30-10-2017, 09:07 PM

100 x 64 on this one

That's meters, not yards

The equivalent in yards is 109 x 70

Mcpakeisgod
31-10-2017, 07:09 AM
Read something along the same lines on a blog earlier today, cant remember if it was Johnjames or Phil Mac but the blog stated that a meeting of the sevco board is being held later this week with one item on the agenda, Essential repairs to their stadium and the lack of money with which to do it. The suggestion was sevco move to Hampden with Ibrox no longer fit for purpose.

Those blogs are utter nonsense

fat freddy
31-10-2017, 07:46 AM
Those blogs are utter nonsense

Dont know about that, Phil Mac was all over Rangers liquidation months, if not years, before it happened. His book, Downfall, chronicles the timeline of events with an accuracy which only someone with inside knowledge could know.

Johnjames also has inside info, he is usually several steps ahead of the MSM although I believe he is often fed false info which can blow up in his face.

Both blogs are worth following in my opinion as they provide a less succulent narrative than the MSM and the content is heavy on Hunbaiting, a favourite pastime of mine.

CropleyWasGod
31-10-2017, 08:17 AM
Dont know about that, Phil Mac was all over Rangers liquidation months, if not years, before it happened. His book, Downfall, chronicles the timeline of events with an accuracy which only someone with inside knowledge could know.

Johnjames also has inside info, he is usually several steps ahead of the MSM although I believe he is often fed false info which can blow up in his face.

Both blogs are worth following in my opinion as they provide a less succulent narrative than the MSM and the content is heavy on Hunbaiting, a favourite pastime of mine.

Sorry, can't agree with JJ. His knowledge of business matters is very poor. Moreover, he doesn't allow any dissent to "his" view on his board. I have lost count of the number of times I have disagreed with something he said, and my comment has been "moderated" away. The last time I questioned it, he responded to the effect that he only allows posts that are sympathetic to his view.

fat freddy
31-10-2017, 08:40 AM
Sorry, can't agree with JJ. His knowledge of business matters is very poor. Moreover, he doesn't allow any dissent to "his" view on his board. I have lost count of the number of times I have disagreed with something he said, and my comment has been "moderated" away. The last time I questioned it, he responded to the effect that he only allows posts that are sympathetic to his view.

Yip, I know you have had issues with him in the past and he doesn't allow too much dissent on his comments page, he's edited my own comments out on a few occassions when they have not been in tune with his viewpoint but I follow his blog for his ability to get under the skin of sevcovians. He is good at ripping the pish out of them and my tea break is all the better for it since I gave up buying papers

CropleyWasGod
31-10-2017, 09:11 AM
Yip, I know you have had issues with him in the past and he doesn't allow too much dissent on his comments page, he's edited my own comments out on a few occassions when they have not been in tune with his viewpoint but I follow his blog for his ability to get under the skin of sevcovians. He is good at ripping the pish out of them and my tea break is all the better for it since I gave up buying papers

:greengrin

Yeah, I get that, but **** does he get under my skin too...... :greengrin:greengrin

G B Young
10-11-2017, 09:40 AM
If you believe Regan, it seems Hampden's days could be numbered (largely due to the need to make cost savings):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41936351

What would happen to the stadium I wonder if it was no longer needed? Presumably Queen's Park couldn't afford to maintain it, let alone require it for the crowds they draw.

Out of interest, does anyone know how the hell such a huge stadium (in its former guise) was ever required by Queen's Park in the first place? Did they used to attract vast attendances back in the mists of time?

Firestarter
10-11-2017, 10:05 AM
If you believe Regan, it seems Hampden's days could be numbered (largely due to the need to make cost savings):

What would happen to the stadium I wonder if it was no longer needed? Presumably Queen's Park couldn't afford to maintain it, let alone require it for the crowds they draw.

Out of interest, does anyone know how the hell such a huge stadium (in its former guise) was ever required by Queen's Park in the first place? Did they used to attract vast attendances back in the mists of time?

Probably used as more of a concert stadium and hosting other evens like it is just now outside the football season. I'm sure Hampden park ltd own it also although technically Queen's Park.

JeMeSouviens
10-11-2017, 10:19 AM

I think Hampden was originally large (but not massive) because Queen's Park were the pre-eminent Scottish club before professionalism. Because of its size it became the venue for cup finals and the Scotland-England game and the demand for those games drove them to expand it further and further until it became massive. So a sort of snowball effect.

.Sean.
10-11-2017, 10:20 AM
What are the repairs that are needed out of interest?

JimBHibees
10-11-2017, 11:50 AM

I dont believe him just a negotiating position to get a better deal, there is no way on this earth that the sfa will leave Hampden.

Ozyhibby
10-11-2017, 11:59 AM
I dont believe him just a negotiating position to get a better deal, there is no way on this earth that the sfa will leave Hampden.

This finances may not be there to stay. It costs a lot of money to run a stadium for 10? uses a year. It really makes no sense to keep it when we can rent any one of three others plus play smaller qualifiers at Easter Road or Pittodrie.
Who knows, we might get some funding to fill in the corners out of it. Take away Hampden and it means Easter Road getting used more for semi finals etc.

Keith_M
10-11-2017, 12:25 PM
This finances may not be there to stay. It costs a lot of money to run a stadium for 10? uses a year. It really makes no sense to keep it when we can rent any one of three others plus play smaller qualifiers at Easter Road or Pittodrie.
Who knows, we might get some funding to fill in the corners out of it. Take away Hampden and it means Easter Road getting used more for semi finals etc.

In regards to the number of games, then I agree. The thing is, the stadium is also home to the SFA, SPFL (and presumably others), in the very large office space behind the stand, in addition to the Football Museum.

If they decided not to renew the lease on the stadium, I wonder what would happen to that.

Tornadoes70
10-11-2017, 12:30 PM
My preferred option would be to build a new fit for purpose stadium somewhere around Stirling or Perth even that would be much fairer for all of Scotland's supporters. A new stadium would attract investment and new developments around the stadium. I live in Edinburgh and Murrayfield would be much easier for me but I would much rather favor a new stadium somewhere that is fairer for all fans of Scotland and the clubs.

:flag:

AndyM_1875
10-11-2017, 12:32 PM
I can't see the SFA dumping Hampden even though as a east coast based Scotland supporter I'd be happy to see them do so as going through there on International Nights which are usually Mondays and Thursdays are an utter pain. I definitely think Scotland should play a big football international at Murrayfield. It's a superb stadium.

Ozyhibby
10-11-2017, 12:35 PM
My preferred option would be to build a new fit for purpose stadium somewhere around Stirling that would be much fairer for all of Scotland's supporters. A new stadium would attract investment and new developments around the stadium. I live in Edinburgh and Murrayfield would be much easier for me but I would much rather favor a new stadium somewhere that is fairer for all fans of Scotland and the clubs.

Stadiums need to be in big cities. Stirling just doesn’t have the infrastructure to support a stadium. Like it or not, a lot of Scotland crowds are boosted by Glaswegians going along at the last minute. If it was in Stirling that would be lost.

Ozyhibby
10-11-2017, 12:36 PM
In regards to the number of games, then I agree. The thing is, the stadium is also home to the SFA, SPFL (and presumably others), in the very large office space behind the stand, in addition to the Football Museum.

If they decided not to renew the lease on the stadium, I wonder what would happen to that.

It’s just office space. There is lots of it available.

Tornadoes70
10-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Stadiums need to be in big cities. Stirling just doesn’t have the infrastructure to support a stadium. Like it or not, a lot of Scotland crowds are boosted by Glaswegians going along at the last minute. If it was in Stirling that would be lost.

I amended the post to include Perth which you weren't to know :aok:. Not entirely disagreeing with you but I think the supporters would travel to either Stirling/Perth or any other place that was suitably neutral enough to be fairer on all fans of the national team and clubs fans.

Just a personal preference mate.

ACLeith
10-11-2017, 01:58 PM

That was exactly what I thought when I listened to him.

Ozyhibby
10-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Have your say.
https://t.co/ATJNLtHZvA

SChibs
10-11-2017, 08:03 PM

People from further north would be more likely to go to Scotland games at a more central location so might even out the last minuters you mentioned

hibIBZ
11-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Was at the egg chasing today and the set up for rugby is far in advance of football imo. The stadium compared to hampden is night and day. People say it's miles from the pitch but you could clearly see the football lines today and behind the goals especially it's is no further away than hampden if not closer. In terms of the set up outside it is night and day. Lots of food and drink outlets and plenty going on such as big screens and live bands. I know the client at rugby is different from football, but there is a lot football could learn.

greenlex
11-11-2017, 04:38 PM

There will be just as many put off from travelling to Glasgow from other parts so that will negate that arguement IMO.

NORTHERNHIBBY
11-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Would be a welcome discussion though. When Hunbrox or Celtc Park have been used instead of Hampden it is hard now to assume that the main selling point is that they are in Glasgow. If we had played Engerlund at Murrayfield and it meant another 15,000 tickets that would have all been sold, there would not have been a lot of complaints IMO.