PDA

View Full Version : The future of sponsorship

NAE NOOKIE
27-10-2017, 04:09 PM
Inspired by the Marathonbet thread posted today I was wondering what folks thoughts were on this. It seems pretty clear that the politicians are set on a course which will put betting advertising on shirts and competitions into the same category as cigarette advertising.

For my part I think Hibs should already be thinking out of the box on this in an attempt to steal a march on our rivals and by that I mean looking at firms who wouldn't usually sponsor football teams or sport in general, but whose sponsorship of a club might be considered so unusual it grabs attention .... Its hard to quantify what sort of firms etc we should be aiming for because as far as I know Hibs never seem to release details of how much each sponsorship is worth, only releasing quotes like "a six figure sum" or "a substantial deal" ...... for some firms £100,000 is peanuts, but the more money they have to spend the bigger club they want.

Obviously the Nirvana of shirt advertising for us would be 7UP ........... if only :greengrin

As for our domestic competitions which are all sponsored by betting companies their future funding in this climate should be a real worry for the SFA and SPFL ...... What's the betting ( no pun intended ) that the dolts running these bodies are still ignoring the writing on the wall and have their heads firmly buried in the sand as usual. I seem to recall the league going two years without a sponsor because they were so useless.

wookie70
27-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Did anyone notice that the Marathonbet centre circle advert was cleared away a full 6 mins before ko on Tuesday. To rub salt into the wounds the track side electronic boards were flashing Ladbrokes before and after. No idea if that was what the contract was but surely we could have kept it on until just before ko in such a big televised game. Marathonbet have been an excellent sponsor and I wouldn't be in favour of not allowing gambling firms the ability to advertise, same for smoking and alcohol. If you think it is that harmful then outlaw it. I agree with the OP in that we should be looking already and 7UP would be perfect. Give them the first year free.