PDA

View Full Version : Excellent article - Neil Lennon

Oscar T Grouch
27-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Sorry if posted already but here’s a great article about oor boss. Highly praised and quite rightly so.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/praise-neil-lennon-hibernian-celtic-rangers-lightning-rod-sectarian-nonsense-a8023356.html

Deansy
27-10-2017, 04:06 PM
Sorry if posted already but here’s a great article about oor boss. Highly praised and quite rightly so.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/scottish/praise-neil-lennon-hibernian-celtic-rangers-lightning-rod-sectarian-nonsense-a8023356.html

Cheers - it IS quite good but a bit short in detail. It's more like an introduction to a story - I was looking for p2 !!!

--------
27-10-2017, 04:08 PM

Thanks for putting this up. Very good article indeed. :aok:

Oscar T Grouch
27-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Cheers - it IS quite good but a bit short in detail. It's more like an introduction to a story - I was looking for p2 !!!

Yeah I thought that myself, it does shine a light on NL though so we can be thankful for an outside newspaper (not Scottish MSM) highlighting what the guy has to go through. I just hope it isn't read by chairmen of English clubs looking for a new boss :worried:

--------
27-10-2017, 04:57 PM
I think he's concentrating on one major point - the way Neil is constantly being blamed for 'attracting' the sectarian bigotry and hatred of the Loyalist hordes to himself by things he allegedly does - does, that is, to 'deserve' the abuse and the defamation of his character and the death threats.

Too many people in Scotland and the Scottish media use the "Well, he doesn't really help himself" line to avoid saying straight out that sending bullets in the post to a man you've never met and who hasn't harmed you personally in any way is a criminal act - as is posting death threats against him on Twitter, or making an unprovoked attack on him in the street because he plays for (or manages) the 'wrong' football team.

It's the same mindset that claims that a woman has 'asked' to be raped because of the way she's dressed, or the argument that some school students are 'natural' targets for the school bullies, as if the victim of violence and abuse somehow shares the responsibility and guilt of their violent abusers. "He/she was asking for it" doesn't wash in a right-minded society, but it's convenient when society doesn't wish to address its own ills and injustices out of fear, complacency, or complicity.

"I'm no Nazi, but you have to admit the Jews don't help themselves ..."

"I'm no racist, but you have to admit the Pakis/Wogs/Paddies/Taigs/Polacks/******s/Papes/Frogs/Dagos/Wops/whoever don't help themselves ..."

So when I bad-mouth them, abuse them, insult them, harass them, make insulting jokes about them,attack them, burn their houses, destroy their businesses, put them in jail, whatever - because deep down I'm a warped twisted hateful bag of anger, envy, prejudice and bigotry - it's not my fault.

They asked for it. They moved into my street. They looked at me funny. They're not like us. They made me do it.

I applaud Neil Lennon for not walking away quietly. I applaud him for facing the bullies and being the man he is, and I'm very glad and proud that he manages the football team I support and love, and I hope he's with us, sticking it to the bigots and haters, for a long time to come.

:not worth

PS: Can we PLEASE have a smilie for "NEIL LENNON'S GREEN AND WHITE ARMY"? No offence, but Stubbs has been gone for almost 18 months now.

Hibbyradge
27-10-2017, 05:07 PM
Excellent post, Doddie.

Well said.

--------
27-10-2017, 05:09 PM
Excellent post, Doddie.

Well said.

Thank you, sir. Neil By Mouth. :greengrin

superfurryhibby
27-10-2017, 05:17 PM
Great article and a great post from Doddie. Enjoyed reading them both. He's his own man is Neil Lennon and a great for for the Hibees. Respect!

WhileTheChief..
27-10-2017, 06:02 PM
Brilliant. Thanks for posting it.

SirDavidsNapper
27-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Good article. I've got to admit I was never Lennons biggest fan. I probably inexcusablly jumped on the hate bandwagon. I can see why the Celtic fans love him. He's won me over both as a manager and a person. The deamons he fights on a daily basis and the hate aimed towards him has shown him in a different light and i've got to say I'm incredibly proud he's manager of our football club.

patlowe
27-10-2017, 06:23 PM
I think the writer possibly hits on something in that Lennon refuses to give in to the idiots and that's probably one of the reasons they can't hack it. Not to undermine all the other reasons of course, in all their sinister and shameful glory.

CathroMustStay
27-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Wonderful and insightful article on Neil Lennon.

Thank god most of our fellow Hibees no longer suffer with the cretinous anti-Lennon propaganda that has been so toxic in Scotland for almost 2 decades.

matty_f
27-10-2017, 06:47 PM
Cracking post, Doddie.

O'Rourke3
27-10-2017, 06:51 PM
Great read. Great post Doddie

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

147lothian
27-10-2017, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=Doddie;5204259]I think he's concentrating on one major point

Jack Hackett
27-10-2017, 08:28 PM
I think he's concentrating on one major point - the way Neil is constantly being blamed for 'attracting' the sectarian bigotry and hatred of the Loyalist hordes to himself by things he allegedly does - does, that is, to 'deserve' the abuse and the defamation of his character and the death threats.

Too many people in Scotland and the Scottish media use the "Well, he doesn't really help himself" line to avoid saying straight out that sending bullets in the post to a man you've never met and who hasn't harmed you personally in any way is a criminal act - as is posting death threats against him on Twitter, or making an unprovoked attack on him in the street because he plays for (or manages) the 'wrong' football team.

It's the same mindset that claims that a woman has 'asked' to be raped because of the way she's dressed, or the argument that some school students are 'natural' targets for the school bullies, as if the victim of violence and abuse somehow shares the responsibility and guilt of their violent abusers. "He/she was asking for it" doesn't wash in a right-minded society, but it's convenient when society doesn't wish to address its own ills and injustices out of fear, complacency, or complicity.

"I'm no racist, but you have to admit the Pakis/Wogs/Paddies/Taigs/Polacks/******s/Papes/Frogs/Dagos/Wops/whoever don't help themselves ..."

So when I bad-mouth them, abuse them, insult them, harass them, make insulting jokes about them,attack them, burn their houses, destroy their businesses, put them in jail, whatever - because deep down I'm a warped twisted hateful bag of anger, envy, prejudice and bigotry - it's not my fault.

They asked for it. They moved into my street. They looked at me funny. They're not like us. They made me do it.

I applaud Neil Lennon for not walking away quietly. I applaud him for facing the bullies and being the man he is, and I'm very glad and proud that he manages the football team I support and love, and I hope he's with us, sticking it to the bigots and haters, for a long time to come.

PS: Can we PLEASE have a smilie for "NEIL LENNON'S GREEN AND WHITE ARMY"? No offence, but Stubbs has been gone for almost 18 months now.

Superb Doddie :top marks

You speak for me. Every word of it

Jonnyboy
27-10-2017, 09:10 PM

Top notch, G :agree:

ozhibs
27-10-2017, 11:48 PM
Great Post Doddie too often we hear "they asked for it" :agree:

Hi Heid Yin
28-10-2017, 12:02 AM
Well articulated, Doddie.
:top marks

Scott Allan Key
28-10-2017, 12:06 AM

Well written sir.

harrsi
28-10-2017, 03:05 AM

This has to be the post of the year.
:top marks:not worth

lyonhibs
28-10-2017, 06:10 AM
I was far from a fan of Lennon as a player and Celtic manager simply because he so clearly revelled in winding up opposition fans and players and I thought he sometimes went overboard in doing so (Huns not included here). He was also a player that was definitely "love if he plays for you, a pain in the arse if he doesn't"

Nothing to do with his religion or choice to play for NIreland. I think a lot of us, if we're being honest, felt the same re: Lennon back in the day.

Now he's our manager I love the man. Exactly what we needed as a club.

eastcoasthibby
28-10-2017, 07:38 AM
Great artie and follow up post from Doddie....I also didnt like NL's antics as a player and manager with Celtic, but it was all about football, but the bigots of both sets of the old firm are responsible for fuelling what has developed. I will never condone anything that has been done or said that threatens NL's life ..and.to be honest will never.understand why that.level of feeling attaches itself to a person.
Finally, its mental that it all still continues from the twisted sectarian and bigotted types who continue to be allowed to carry on unchallenged by the clubs to openly express the vile every week,
PS ..I hope the.police are investigating the comments mentioned in the article on twitter accounts ...

WhileTheChief..
28-10-2017, 07:57 AM
The important point being the Neil Lennon smiley!

Who’s making it happen??

Wee Effen Bee
28-10-2017, 07:58 AM

Ah cannae git the matches tae light! I mean, I can’t open this page - what’s wrong with my iPad? Sounds like an interesting piece but a
good post Doddie. Agree with every single word brother!

Arch Stanton
28-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Ah cannae git the matches tae light! I mean, I can’t open this page - what’s wrong with my iPad? Sounds like an interesting piece but a

Click on the link in the 2nd post, from Deansy,

Broken Gnome
28-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Found this one last night, need to subscribe but it's free for a couple of articles.

https://www.thetwopointone.com/how-hibernian-became-a-force-once-again/

AltheHibby
28-10-2017, 08:47 AM
Great article and Doddie's post is the best post I have ever read on any social media.

Both are messages we need to get out there. Unfortunately, while intelligent people will understand and support both, hatred needs no intelligence, so the haters, sadly, won't understand.

JimBHibees
28-10-2017, 09:36 AM

Post of the year. Fantastic. :agree:

HibbySpurs
28-10-2017, 10:00 AM

Brilliant post, sums it up perfectly 👍

--------
28-10-2017, 10:03 AM
Found this one last night, need to subscribe but it's free for a couple of articles.

https://www.thetwopointone.com/how-hibernian-became-a-force-once-again/

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Terrific article - tempted even to pay some money to see more ....

Particularly interested in LD's reaction to the way broadcasters and commentators were going on about us 'Hibsing' it.

Why don't they talk about 'Potterball'? Or the 'Houston-You-Are-A-Failure-Syndrome'? :greengrin

Or discussing the question of whether it's actually possible to play football when you're up to you knees in Fenian (or any other kind of) blood?

And why neither the Scottish football authorities nor Police Scotland seem to be either able or willing to do anything about the frequency with which that song and others like it ring out over Scottish football pitches still, now in the 21st century?

Hibbyradge
28-10-2017, 11:31 AM
Now that's what I'm talking about!

Terrific article - tempted even to pay some money to see more ....

I agree. I'll read a second article soon and if it's as well thought out, and written, I'll subscribe.

Keith_M
28-10-2017, 11:36 AM
Thank you, sir. Neil By Mouth. :greengrin

Rather you than me!

:greengrin

--------
28-10-2017, 11:38 AM
Rather you than me!

:greengrin

Oh crap.

Bostonhibby
28-10-2017, 11:41 AM

PS: Can we PLEASE have a smilie for "NEIL LENNON'S GREEN AND WHITE ARMY"? No offence, but Stubbs has been gone for almost 18 months now.Well said sir. Great read. You don't attract this sort of stuff, the beasts that thrive on it seek out targets and the less is done about it the bolder the cowards become.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Seveno
28-10-2017, 11:42 AM

One of the finest posts that I have ever read on here. I am proud to have you as a fellow Hibby.

Oscar T Grouch
28-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Here's a hard copy

Around 10pm on the evening of August 12, a 54-year-old man called Sean Cowan clicked on to the Facebook page of a well-known Rangers fan site, and typed these words: “Somebody give me a weapon and I will shoot this little terrorist c--- in the head with impunity. I’m serious. I would. I can get one, not a problem. Police Scotland are probably all over it now though. I have previous for firearms.”

What Cowan lacked in judgement, discretion and good taste, he certainly offered in foresight. On Tuesday afternoon, Cowan pleaded guilty to one offence under the Offensive Behaviour at Football and Threatening Communications (Scotland) Act, for which he will be sentenced next month. Later that evening, Hibs triumphed 1-0 against Hearts in the Edinburgh derby to move them up to fifth in the Scottish Premiership table.

And so ended just another day in the life of Neil Lennon, or to give him his full title, Neil Lennon: Lightning Rod For Sectarian Nonsense And Unspeakable Anger Since 2000. Plenty of people have tried to analyse why exactly it is the Hibs manager seems to inspire such inveterate, flaming hatred wherever he walks. Some say it’s his extravagant touchline antics, some his Northern Irish Catholic roots, some the shifting sociology and demographics of post-war Scotland. Some just burble things incomprehensibly.

Lennon's decision to play for Northern Ireland caused much controversy (Getty)
To me, it’s something more prosaic: he’s there. Lennon refuses to shrink in the face of combat, or dissolve in the background in order to avoid criticism. In a sense, he is someone who recognises football for what it is: filthy, tribal, foul-mouthed and utterly glorious for those exact reasons. It’s about joy, it’s about despair, it’s about rubbing it in your opponents’ faces. And yet the violence he attracts is the natural by-product of what happens when we confuse the blood and guts of sport with the blood and guts of actual blood and guts.

All of which occasionally invites the accusation that on some level, Lennon “doesn’t help himself”. As in: not to condone people sending him bullets in the post, but he doesn’t help himself, does he? Or: obviously there’s no excuse for making a deadly explosive device and delivering it to his place of work in the hope that he’ll open it and be blown to bits. But by gosh, he doesn’t help himself, does he?

Apart from creating an egregious moral equivalence between Lennon’s assailants and a guy whose only rap is a driving ban for speeding on the A9, it’s an argument that obscures far more than it illuminates. To stand your ground or walk away? It’s a philosophical conundrum as much as anything else, and you can make persuasive arguments on both sides.

Lennon's time at Bolton ended in relegation (Getty)
But imagine enduring what Lennon has endured over the years: the death threats, the beatings, the bullets, the abuse. A well-documented struggle with depression. And not sporadically, but pretty much whenever he leaves his house, for almost two decades. To have retained not only his basic humanity, but his good humour and essential thirst for the game, suggests that this is the sort of character of which football needs more, not fewer.

The other effect is to overshadow the skill of a manager who is really far better than many give him credit for: pragmatic, tactically shrewd and a good enough defensive organiser to mastermind a victory over Barcelona with just 16 per cent possession. Yet even as his Hibs side triumphed on Tuesday night, the reviews for a sparkling team performance were already hitting the social media wires. “A hope you die in your sleep,” wrote one Twitter user. “Would pay serious good money to see Neil Lennon getting a drill to the heed,” wrote another.

Lennon's greatest result came as his side beat Barcelona in the Champions League (Getty)
You wonder whether, in his more reflective moments, Lennon secretly craves a quieter life. Perhaps it’s why he tried not being there for a while. He walked out on Celtic after four exhausting years and went to manage Bolton Wanderers, taking on a financial wreck and leaving shortly before they were relegated to League One. But the quiet life never really suited Lennon. Anyone could see that. This is a man who needs the fire in his lungs.

And so he ended up on the Firth of Forth, and if he moved there expecting a quiet life, you suspect he would have been pretty disappointed. Promoted as champions in his first season. One of the most attractive, improved teams in the division. A club with its pride restored. A manager with his reputation enhanced.

​Sometimes, Neil Lennon really doesn’t help himself, does he?