PDA

View Full Version : Scott Martin

Unseen work
26-10-2017, 10:01 PM
Anyone know what’s up with him?

Not in the first team and wasn’t in the dev team today.

Disappointing as I have always been very impressed with him

oconnors_strip
27-10-2017, 06:50 AM
Scott is to old for the youth cup this season but he has playing regularly for the development team.

calumhibee1
27-10-2017, 06:59 AM
I liked Scott Martin when he broke through but I’d suggest his time may be up here unfortunately.

J-C
27-10-2017, 07:27 AM
Is he maybe another youngster who's reached a certain level and stopped, much like Stanton, Handling etc, it happens in football where their levels just plateau, they can't all be 1st teamers.

Smartie
27-10-2017, 07:27 AM
Good young player who is backup for the first team.

We're only ever a couple of injuries away from needing him.

MWHIBBIES
27-10-2017, 07:35 AM
He has never let us down when he has played so I'm not sure when he hasnt played more. No reason to let him go.

Smartie
27-10-2017, 07:47 AM
He has never let us down when he has played so I'm not sure when he hasnt played more. No reason to let him go.

He's always come in, done a job and been a bit unlucky to be dropped immediately.

The only reason he hasn't played more is that he's not better than Bartley, McGinn, McGeouch, Slivka, Swanson or Fyvie, the senior players who have kept him out the team.

Diclonius
27-10-2017, 07:49 AM
If Martin had been playing at a time other than when we had our best midfield in ten years, he'd get a good run of games. It's unfortunate for him.

Jones28
27-10-2017, 08:04 AM
When McGinn leaves he will get more game time IMO, as others have said it's a shame for him that we have our best midfield select of the last decade to choose from.

bingo70
27-10-2017, 08:50 AM
Was steady enough but never did enough to really force himself on games and create a real impression.

Reminds me of Ross Chisholm in that he’ll never let you down but never going to be good enough to really take us to where we want to get to. Wish him well but imo best all round if he was to move on. Could see him forging a decent career in and around the championship.

Brightside
27-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Unless we have first team injuries he wont make it into the team now. He's more than capable of playing at this level but we are well covered in his area.

Sir David Gray
27-10-2017, 09:26 AM
If Scott Martin had been old enough to break through during the Calderwood/Fenlon eras he could easily have 100+ games for us now.

It's unfortunate that he's competing for a place with the likes of John McGinn and Dylan McGeouch.

I can't see him making it with us but he's definitely good enough to make it at lower Premiership/good Championship side.

Ozyhibby
27-10-2017, 09:35 AM
For his own good he should have left in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smartie
27-10-2017, 09:36 AM
He might just want to bide his time.

We don't have a great track record at replacing departing talent over the years. McGinn will in all likelihood be sold at the end of the season, McGeouch is out of contract. Of course we'll reinvest the funds taken for McGinn but there's no guarantee that any successor will work out.

Martin might be happy to keep training with our players presumably improving all the time under Lennon's coaching hoping that when he gets his chance he takes it. If he's under Lennon's nose then he might be the man to get the opportunity.

(The same goes for Shaw, F.Murray and Porteous really).

ballengeich
27-10-2017, 10:24 AM
When McGinn leaves he will get more game time IMO, as others have said it's a shame for him that we have our best midfield select of the last decade to choose from.

From what I've seen of Martin I'd have said he was more a Bartley type of player. Fraser Murray looks more like one who'd get a game in McGinn's slot.

Brightside
27-10-2017, 10:40 AM
From what I've seen of Martin I'd have said he was more a Bartley type of player. Fraser Murray looks more like one who'd get a game in McGinn's slot.

Slivka was bought as SJMs cover. Martin is very much a Bartley type player.

BSEJVT
27-10-2017, 10:52 AM

mmmn

Fraser Murray is a really talented guy who will more than likely play many games for Hibs but it wont be as a like for like replacement for McGinn of that I am certain.

McGinn is a rare talent, not always properly applied IMO, but a rare talent.

He is quick, aggressive in the tackle, with great strength, he has a great range of passing and a powerful shot that is improving in its reliability.

If he would stop sticking his arse out and falling over / getting knocked over I would be fully content with him. Folk have woken up to that and he loses the ball doing that over 70% of the time now.

McGinn driving with the ball reminds me a wee bit of some of Scott Brown's runs when he was at Hibs. they are bloody effective and lift the crowd massively.

Murray would be more like McGeouch to me, but those are big shoes to fill also.

Right now we couldn't play Murray in other than a 4 man midfield with 3 tacklers as he is too slight and a wee bit timid IMO. He will lose that with age and experience.

I fear for Scott Martin at Hibs

I think we would play Slivka, Swanson, Whittaker & Murray before him now in CM on top of the present incumbents and he may need to move on.

He played one game last year where I thought he was fantastic for the first 30 minutes and poor for the remaining 60. (Raith Rovers maybe, maybe not)

scotiaf
27-10-2017, 11:04 AM
Slivka was bought as SJMs cover. Martin is very much a Bartley type player.

I think slivka was fyvie and Mcgeoch replacement, but Dylan is playing at the highest level.

B.H.F.C
27-10-2017, 11:11 AM

Think Martin is miles away from stepping in for McGinn. If/when McGinn leaves I think we'd reinvest some of the money so wouldn't see him getting much more game time.

Billy Whizz
02-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Joining Arbroath on loan until January
Division 1, so a good move for him. Wondered why he wasn’t involved with the 20’s yesterday.

Thecat23
02-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Division 1, so a good move for him. Wondered why he wasn’t involved with the29’s yesterday.

I’m not convinced with him Billy, I think he’ll need to work very hard if he ever wants to play weekly for us. I still think he’ll be away in the summer.

Billy Whizz
02-11-2017, 05:57 PM
I’m not convinced with him Billy, I think he’ll need to work very hard if he ever wants to play weekly for us. I still think he’ll be away in the summer.

Lennon likes him Cat. At the development games, he’s always been talking and encouraging him. Maybe sees a bit of Scott in how he played

Thecat23
02-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Lennon likes him Cat. At the development games, he’s always been talking and encouraging him. Maybe sees a bit of Scott in how he played

I noticed he liked him from the couple of development games I was at. Always encouraging him, let’s be honest NL knows him better than me so I’m prob way off anyway. 😁

Billy Whizz
02-11-2017, 07:11 PM
I noticed he liked him from the couple of development games I was at. Always encouraging him, let’s be honest NL knows him better than me so I’m prob way off anyway. 😁

Aye, you stick to getting scoops on here😎

Thecat23
02-11-2017, 07:22 PM
Aye, you stick to getting scoops on here😎

😁

Big L
02-11-2017, 08:57 PM
😁

Think he's away on loan!

Thecat23
02-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Think he's away on loan!

Yeah he is till Jan. I just think he’ll end up gone I really don’t think he’ll make it in the Hibs first team. Hope I’m wrong on this as it’s always good to see our young lads do well. But I said the same regarding Handling and Harris, I’ve the same feeling with him.

I think Hibs are simply looking for better quality these days. Anyway Lennon will know better than me so what ever he decides I’m happy.

Brightside
03-11-2017, 12:42 AM
Division 1, so a good move for him. Wondered why he wasn’t involved with the 20’s yesterday.

Its a rubbish move for him..... but maybe the kick up the arse he needs. Make no mistake the boy is potentially the Bartley player. BUT his application has been noticed over the past year. Which is huge shame as he is talented. So much about him is Brown like....but you need to really want it.

Andy74
03-11-2017, 01:13 AM
Its a rubbish move for him..... but maybe the kick up the arse he needs. Make no mistake the boy is potentially the Bartley player. BUT his application has been noticed over the past year. Which is huge shame as he is talented. So much about him is Brown like....but you need to really want it.

He’s done okay whenever I’ve seen him but he hasn’t been remotely like either Bartley or Scott Brown.

He will end up a lower league player I suspect.

JimBHibees
03-11-2017, 07:16 AM

Only short term until January assume it would only be teams looking for an emergency loan who could get him.

jdships
03-11-2017, 08:39 AM
Is he maybe another youngster who's reached a certain level and stopped, much like Stanton, Handling etc, it happens in football where their levels just plateau, they can't all be 1st teamers.

sad but true
I was one of them 60 odd years ago !!

The Leith Dutch
03-11-2017, 09:03 AM

I'd have thought when McGinn leaves we're likely to sign a quality replacement.
Happy to be proved wrong but so far Martin has looked like a solid squad player - tidy player but not banging the door down to move up the pecking order.

Slightly different positions but at the moment I think Fraser Murray looks much more likely to get game time.
2 years younger, almost the same amount of games as Martin and looks to have a bit of X-factor about him.
Hoping he pushes on and doesn't stagnate.

Plus side is that it's nice to be having these kind of debates about good players not able to get a game right now. It'll also hopefully push them to be better players.

Unseen work
04-11-2017, 12:55 AM
I think he has been quality when given a chance and strongly disagree with folk who have said he has done ok.

Lennon himself stated earlier in the year Martin has a big future in Scottish football.

It might not be with us, but I back him to be a success.