PDA

View Full Version : Downside

Dashing Bob S
25-10-2017, 08:46 AM
We dominated them but should have won far more convincingly. It’s been a feature of our season - thinking particularly of trips to Perth and Dundee where the points were shared. Hearts too inept to take advantage but a team with a bit more class, like A'deen, were able to punish us in a game we ought to have got points from. What’s the answer?

Scottie
25-10-2017, 08:48 AM
We dominated them but should have won far more convincingly. It’s been a feature of our season - thinking particularly of trips to Perth and Dundee where the points were shared. Hearts too inept to take advantage but a team with a bit more class, like A'deen, were able to punish us in a game we ought to have got points from. What’s the answer?
Score more goals :wink:

jacomo
25-10-2017, 09:09 AM
Was hoping we'd give Hertz a real shellacking. Maybe we are saving that for their place.

We have, pretty much, an all-new attack this season. Let's hope they all improve.

J-C
25-10-2017, 09:14 AM
We never replaced Cummings and his goals, Stokes is a different type of forward, Murray is still very raw, Shaw is inbetween development and 1st team level and big Davy I think was signed to make sure we signed Slivka. We needed a Moult type player in the summer and it highlights our lack of a cutting edge right now.

Bostonhibby
25-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Score more goals :wink:Or play the yams every week?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Treadstone
25-10-2017, 09:27 AM
Clean sheets until we take more chances. Both will come I feel. Man for man we have better defenders than them but they are set up to not concede (hard to beat apparently) and we are set up to play. I know which I prefer.

Smartie
25-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Big Dave impressed me more last night than he has done in any other game.

I think his main problem is that just because he's about 6 foot 4 we expect him to win balls hoofed up at his head. He's smaller when he jumps than when he's just standing there and he's less likely to win a header than Lewis Stevenson - that's just not his game.

He looked to have quite a good touch, positions his body well to hold players off and bring others into the game. This was invaluable as we closed the game out, actually KEPT possession from our own throw ins and ran down the clock.

The main positive from the past few games is that in normal play against Celtic (twice), Aberdeen and Hearts is that our defence is looking more solid. We still need to stop giving away the type of goal we were giving away on Saturday, and we could do with taking a few more chances.

At least Hanlon and Ambrose look like they're starting to form a decent partnership.

We're a newly promoted side, we're still settling into the league and we've had a fairly mixed bag of results so far. There's plenty to be optimistic about though, and I suspect our results in the next round of games will be better than our results in the first round.

SeanWilson
25-10-2017, 09:59 AM
Big Dave impressed me more last night than he has done in any other game.

I think his main problem is that just because he's about 6 foot 4 we expect him to win balls hoofed up at his head. He's smaller when he jumps than when he's just standing there and he's less likely to win a header than Lewis Stevenson - that's just not his game.

He looked to have quite a good touch, positions his body well to hold players off and bring others into the game. This was invaluable as we closed the game out, actually KEPT possession from our own throw ins and ran down the clock.

The main positive from the past few games is that in normal play against Celtic (twice), Aberdeen and Hearts is that our defence is looking more solid. We still need to stop giving away the type of goal we were giving away on Saturday, and we could do with taking a few more chances.

At least Hanlon and Ambrose look like they're starting to form a decent partnership.

We're a newly promoted side, we're still settling into the league and we've had a fairly mixed bag of results so far. There's plenty to be optimistic about though, and I suspect our results in the next round of games will be better than our results in the first round.

The moment at the end where he took two defenders out the game with his chest pass was absolute class!

G B Young
25-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Yes, that was my only quibble about yet another delightful derby display...the fact we didn't really ram home our superiority with a couple more goals. Aside from the 6-2 game it's been a feature of derbies we've dominated, even last season's cup replay when it really could have been five or six rather than just the three goals. One of the biggest hammerings I recall giving them was the 2006 League Cup quarter final when it was 1-0 going on 10-0. We genuinely had close to 90% possession IIRC.

Anyway, as I say, it's a minor quibble. Hard to complain when you've just made it 8 in a row.

25-10-2017, 11:15 AM

We need to get more men into the box. Too often we get into a good position and when the ball is put in it is our 1 strinker against 4 or 5 defenders.

We have two fast wide players capable of getting past the full backs and putting in a cross but the midfielders aren't taking a chance and getting into the box to support them. Boyle has been criticised in the past for his crossing, it isn't perfect but all he (and whoever is crossing it) should be expected to do is put it into a dangerous area and it is up to the strikers/midfields to get on the end of them. It also increases the chances of a loose ball falling to one of our players.

Barker is improving with each game and looks like he can put in a decent cross. I'd like to see him take a few corners to see if he can whip them in Hendo style and then McGinn can sit on the edge of the box to pick up any partially cleared balls.

Lago
25-10-2017, 11:22 AM
Keep more clean sheets

ballengeich
25-10-2017, 11:27 AM
We need to get more men into the box. Too often we get into a good position and when the ball is put in it is our 1 strinker against 4 or 5 defenders.

We have two fast wide players capable of getting past the full backs and putting in a cross but the midfielders aren't taking a chance and getting into the box to support them. Boyle has been criticised in the past for his crossing, it isn't perfect but all he (and whoever is crossing it) should be expected to do is put it into a dangerous area and it is up to the strikers/midfields to get on the end of them.

I agree with this. From yesterday's midfield and forwards none of Bartley, McGeoch and Barker have any record as goalscorers. While McGinn gets forward more, it's recognised that more goals is something he needs to add. They're all good players, but collectively don't threaten the goal enough.

If we're fielding the two wingers one thing I'd like to see is them both moving inside as second strikers when the attack's coming from the opposite side e.g. if Boyle's running at the left back Barker should move into the centre to assist Murray or Stokes.

Iain G
25-10-2017, 11:32 AM
I agree with this. From yesterday's midfield and forwards none of Bartley, McGeoch and Barker have any record as goalscorers. While McGinn gets forward more, it's recognised that more goals is something he needs to add. They're all good players, but collectively don't threaten the goal enough.

If we're fielding the two wingers one thing I'd like to see is them both moving inside as second strikers when the attack's coming from the opposite side e.g. if Boyle's running at the left back Barker should move into the centre to assist Murray or Stokes.

We need a Pat McGinlay getting into the box to provide another option :agree: