PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (Hearts 24 October)

Jonnyboy
24-10-2017, 10:48 PM
This might sound a bit odd but I honestly believe we hammered Hearts 1-0 tonight. The gulf in class between the teams was enormous and had we been a bit more clinical the scoreline would have looked healthier.

To a man, Hibs were up for the fight and it’s no surprise the Hearts often resorted to strongman tactics. In the not so distant past, those bully boy tactics would have had the desired effect but this is Neil Lennon’s Hibs and when the occasion arose we gave as good as we got.

Prior to the game it became known that Stokesy would miss out and to some that was a real worry but step forward Simon Murray, after many games sitting patiently on the bench. As he and his team mates came out for the kick off they were greeted by a quite stupendous display involving the whole of the Famous Five stand. It was truly a sight to behold and I’m certain the players got a lift from seeing it; I know the other two home stands did.

In our last three games, against Celtic twice and Aberdeen, I felt we started too slowly but any worries on that score were soon wiped away as Barker and Murray created room on the left side of the Hearts box after just three minutes. A quick interchange of passes and a quite sublime nutmeg of Souter and Simon crashed the ball high into the net with the keeper getting a touch but beaten by the ferocity of the shot.

Hibs piled it on with both Stevenson and McGinn seeing net-bound shots deflected for corners while Boyle and Barker ripped the Hearts full-backs with their electrifying pace. The movement from Hibs was a joy to behold with McGeouch popping up everywhere to prompt his team mates with telling passes. As half time approached, Dylan produced two pieces of magic that deserved a better outcome. First, he dinked the ball over a flying defenders tackle and then chipped the ball over the static Berra for Boyle to face only the goalkeeper. Luckily for Hearts, McLaughlin managed to block Boyle’s effort but when the ball deflected to Whittaker the Hibs man hit his left foot shot over the bar with the net open.

The second half was always going to present a Hearts fired up by their manager but inside the opening sixty seconds, John McGinn set the tone by having a shot saved by McLaughlin. Other than a few periods of possession, Hearts failed to trouble Hibs who continued to dominate possession without really creating many chances. Boyle could have done better when he raced into the box but rather than take the shot he tried to shift the ball to his left foot and was dispossessed.

Desperate to try and salvage something, Levein introduced both Goncalves and Stockton, meaning they now had three strikers on the park, surely something Levein has little previous experience of. The newcomers made no difference and Hibs finished the stronger with McGinn stinging the fingers of the Hearts keeper with a powerful shot. Even the addition of Berra to the front line had no effect whatsoever and the late scything down of McGinn in full flight deserved a red not a yellow. If there’s a clearer definition of a ‘professional foul’ I’ve yet to see it.

In the dying embers, Hibs simply retained possession in the corners and when the final whistle was blown the joy amongst the players was there for all to see. As I left the ground I couldn’t think of one Hibs player that didn’t play his part and though both Bartley and Barker pushed him close the only possible selection as my man of the match had to be Dylan McGeouch. Always available; always looking to get on the ball; always trying to create and getting up and getting on with it after being fouled on numerous occasions, surely the fitness worries are now a thing of the past and surely Hibs must be looking to extend his contract.

The players

Rocky – back in goals and looking comfortable throughout, he didn’t have many saves to make but he did well and all that could be expected of him.

Whitty – another fine game and it looks to me that he is now up to speed. Noticeable that Levein put Goncalves in direct opposition to Whitty but the Hearts man got no change out of him.

Efe – took a really sore knock to the face from Lafferty, who slunk away thankful that the ref was more focussed on an earlier challenge by Bartley. It was pipe and slippers time for most of the ninety minutes.

Paul Hanlon – I worried before the game that Lafferty’s ‘robust’ style might cause Paul problems but my worry was without foundation as Paul owned the Hearts man throughout.

Lewis – the thing about Lewis is that what he does is rarely spectacular but what he does do is honest to goodness top quality defending.

Boyler – ripped their left back a new one on a few occasions and one or two of his crosses deserved better outcomes. He suffers from a lack of protection by the officials but he’s always up for the challenge and just gets on with it.

Dylan – If the rest of the team deserved a ten, Dylan deserved an eleven. He was outstanding tonight and there are no words I could use to praise him highly enough.

SJM – caught in possession a few times which is frustrating but when he’s in control of the ball you’d need a steamroller or Christian Nade to win it back.

Marv – does the basics but does them to a very high standard. His positional play is excellent and his reading of the game allows the likes of McGeouch and McGinn more freedom to roam forward.

Barker – the Hearts defenders were petrified of him as his pace is electric. The lad Smith got booked early on for hauling him down and he looked like a rabbit in the headlights from thereon in.

Simon Murray – the nutmeg was superb as was the finish but apart from that his constant movement kept their central defenders on their toes throughout.

Subs

Big Dave – I was beginning to wonder when we might see him again. He got around ten minutes, put himself about well and gave Souter something to worry about after Berra took a break from trying to referee the game so as to bolster the Hearts attack.

Slivka – only really brought on to help run the clock down but was in acres of space some eighteen yards out when Barker tried to get a shot away when a pass might have offered Slivka the chance to score.

Referee – Dallas that is, not Berra was a mix of poor and just downright dreadful. Quite how Jamie Walker avoided getting a yellow card is a complete mystery. I counted at least five clear fouls and a couple of pathetic dives but only a ‘stern word’ was meted out.

Hibs fans – the stunning display set the tone for the evening and the support from all three home stands was brilliant. The drummer and Since 1875 were loud and clear and only ever drowned out when the old school in Section 43 started giving it laldy.

Neil Lennon – has eradicated the soft touch that Hibs often were, especially in Derbies and tonight he got his team selection and tactics absolutely spot on.

Mantis Toboggan
24-10-2017, 10:58 PM
Fantastic as usual. I have to say though that although Dallas was lenient on cards, he did give Hibs a lot of fouls that other refs might not have.

TrinityHibs
24-10-2017, 11:12 PM
Thank you JB That was the game I enjoyed

Hi Heid Yin
24-10-2017, 11:24 PM
Fantastic, well written and honest summary, Johnnyboy.
A really good read.
Reminds me of the old Saturday tea-time red-ink paper Evening News results and summaries we used to nip down to the local newsagents to pick up.

greenlex
24-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Fab

edinburghhibee
24-10-2017, 11:58 PM
On my phone the player ratings start at Dylan, anyone else got that issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyeSloan
25-10-2017, 12:08 AM

Yeah same happened for the Dons match I think..

Jonnyboy
25-10-2017, 08:12 AM

Not sure why that’s happening. Hopefully a friendly Admin can have a look :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
25-10-2017, 08:15 AM
Great JC, always a good read, how do you remember it all?:flag:

stantonhibby
25-10-2017, 08:16 AM
Your comments about Berra 'the referee' are spot on.

Gatecrasher
25-10-2017, 08:23 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/fd9c3d41d3b6688a68e45a199ef934e7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/3a7e2149551f0e3ef88275cd03359966.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Jonnyboy
25-10-2017, 08:25 AM
Great JC, always a good read, how do you remember it all?:flag:

Dunno :greengrin

Baldy Foghorn
25-10-2017, 08:26 AM
Dunno :greengrin

:thumbsup:

SoL
25-10-2017, 08:28 AM
This might sound a bit odd but I honestly believe we hammered Hearts 1-0 tonight. The gulf in class between the teams was enormous and had we been a bit more clinical the scoreline would have looked healthier.

To a man, Hibs were up for the fight and it’s no surprise the Hearts often resorted to strongman tactics. In the not so distant past, those bully boy tactics would have had the desired effect but this is Neil Lennon’s Hibs and when the occasion arose we gave as good as we got.

Prior to the game it became known that Stokesy would miss out and to some that was a real worry but step forward Simon Murray, after many games sitting patiently on the bench. As he and his team mates came out for the kick off they were greeted by a quite stupendous display involving the whole of the Famous Five stand. It was truly a sight to behold and I’m certain the players got a lift from seeing it; I know the other two home stands did.

In our last three games, against Celtic twice and Aberdeen, I felt we started too slowly but any worries on that score were soon wiped away as Barker and Murray created room on the left side of the Hearts box after just three minutes. A quick interchange of passes and a quite sublime nutmeg of Souter and Simon crashed the ball high into the net with the keeper getting a touch but beaten by the ferocity of the shot.

Hibs piled it on with both Stevenson and McGinn seeing net-bound shots deflected for corners while Boyle and Barker ripped the Hearts full-backs with their electrifying pace. The movement from Hibs was a joy to behold with McGeouch popping up everywhere to prompt his team mates with telling passes. As half time approached, Dylan produced two pieces of magic that deserved a better outcome. First, he dinked the ball over a flying defenders tackle and then chipped the ball over the static Berra for Boyle to face only the goalkeeper. Luckily for Hearts, McLaughlin managed to block Boyle’s effort but when the ball deflected to Whittaker the Hibs man hit his left foot shot over the bar with the net open.

The second half was always going to present a Hearts fired up by their manager but inside the opening sixty seconds, John McGinn set the tone by having a shot saved by McLaughlin. Other than a few periods of possession, Hearts failed to trouble Hibs who continued to dominate possession without really creating many chances. Boyle could have done better when he raced into the box but rather than take the shot he tried to shift the ball to his left foot and was dispossessed.

Desperate to try and salvage something, Levein introduced both Goncalves and Stockton, meaning they now had three strikers on the park, surely something Levein has little previous experience of. The newcomers made no difference and Hibs finished the stronger with McGinn stinging the fingers of the Hearts keeper with a powerful shot. Even the addition of Berra to the front line had no effect whatsoever and the late scything down of McGinn in full flight deserved a red not a yellow. If there’s a clearer definition of a ‘professional foul’ I’ve yet to see it.

In the dying embers, Hibs simply retained possession in the corners and when the final whistle was blown the joy amongst the players was there for all to see. As I left the ground I couldn’t think of one Hibs player that didn’t play his part and though both Bartley and Barker pushed him close the only possible selection as my man of the match had to be Dylan McGeouch. Always available; always looking to get on the ball; always trying to create and getting up and getting on with it after being fouled on numerous occasions, surely the fitness worries are now a thing of the past and surely Hibs must be looking to extend his contract.

The players

Rocky – back in goals and looking comfortable throughout, he didn’t have many saves to make but he did well and all that could be expected of him.

Whitty – another fine game and it looks to me that he is now up to speed. Noticeable that Levein put Goncalves in direct opposition to Whitty but the Hearts man got no change out of him.

Efe – took a really sore knock to the face from Lafferty, who slunk away thankful that the ref was more focussed on an earlier challenge by Bartley. It was pipe and slippers time for most of the ninety minutes.

Paul Hanlon – I worried before the game that Lafferty’s ‘robust’ style might cause Paul problems but my worry was without foundation as Paul owned the Hearts man throughout.

Lewis – the thing about Lewis is that what he does is rarely spectacular but what he does do is honest to goodness top quality defending.

Boyler – ripped their left back a new one on a few occasions and one or two of his crosses deserved better outcomes. He suffers from a lack of protection by the officials but he’s always up for the challenge and just gets on with it.

Dylan – If the rest of the team deserved a ten, Dylan deserved an eleven. He was outstanding tonight and there are no words I could use to praise him highly enough.

SJM – caught in possession a few times which is frustrating but when he’s in control of the ball you’d need a steamroller or Christian Nade to win it back.

Marv – does the basics but does them to a very high standard. His positional play is excellent and his reading of the game allows the likes of McGeouch and McGinn more freedom to roam forward.

Barker – the Hearts defenders were petrified of him as his pace is electric. The lad Smith got booked early on for hauling him down and he looked like a rabbit in the headlights from thereon in.

Simon Murray – the nutmeg was superb as was the finish but apart from that his constant movement kept their central defenders on their toes throughout.

Subs

Big Dave – I was beginning to wonder when we might see him again. He got around ten minutes, put himself about well and gave Souter something to worry about after Berra took a break from trying to referee the game so as to bolster the Hearts attack.

Slivka – only really brought on to help run the clock down but was in acres of space some eighteen yards out when Barker tried to get a shot away when a pass might have offered Slivka the chance to score.

Referee – Dallas that is, not Berra was a mix of poor and just downright dreadful. Quite how Jamie Walker avoided getting a yellow card is a complete mystery. I counted at least five clear fouls and a couple of pathetic dives but only a ‘stern word’ was meted out.

Hibs fans – the stunning display set the tone for the evening and the support from all three home stands was brilliant. The drummer and Since 1875 were loud and clear and only ever drowned out when the old school in Section 43 started giving it laldy.

Neil Lennon – has eradicated the soft touch that Hibs often were, especially in Derbies and tonight he got his team selection and tactics absolutely spot on.

Cup of tea plus 3 digestives!

Tip top. Johnnyboy

RamYer1902
25-10-2017, 08:45 AM
I actually thought Dallas did well. Yes Walker should've been carded and Cochrane should've probably been sent off but I've seen much, much worse refs in derbies to be honest.

Peevemor
25-10-2017, 08:56 AM
This is how it feels?

My (French) colleagues, who know very little about Scottish football and even less about the Proclaimers, remarked that "eebernians" must have won last night due to my whistling SOL at my desk.

Allez les verts!

:sauzee:

Danderhall Hibs
25-10-2017, 09:03 AM
This is how it feels?

My (French) colleagues, who know very little about Scottish football and even less about the Proclaimers, remarked that "eebernians" must have won last night due to my whistling SOL at my desk.

Allez les verts!

:sauzee:

Do you whistle it in French? :greengrin

Great summary jonny.

Peevemor
25-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Do you whistle it in French? :greengrin

Great summary jonny.

:agree: Through my nose.

scott7_0(Prague)
25-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Last night reminded me of the 6-2 game.

The pace of our team last night, the direct play, the confidence in defending and winning battles - we just missed that cutting edge that we had 17years ago.

Billy Whizz
25-10-2017, 09:24 AM
Fantastic review Jonnyboy. I cane away thinking like you, that we hammered them 1-0. I was actually comfortable last 20 mins or so, as I couldn’t see them scoring.
Dylan getting better every week, and deserved MOTM. A wee word for Barker though, loved his performance last night, as I’ve been a wee bit critical of his end product in recent weeks, blistering pace as well.
As for Hearts, can’t believe fans would pay to watch that sort of hoof football every week, and Berra the Ref

Well done to all involved in the planning and execution of the display. Loved it, a great night to be a Hibee

Baldy Foghorn
25-10-2017, 09:34 AM
Last night reminded me of the 6-2 game.

The pace of our team last night, the direct play, the confidence in defending and winning battles - we just missed that cutting edge that we had 17years ago.

That's my only gripe, that we never took 4 or 5 off them, still put them back in their box though

Jonnyboy
25-10-2017, 01:59 PM
Fantastic review Jonnyboy. I cane away thinking like you, that we hammered them 1-0. I was actually comfortable last 20 mins or so, as I couldn’t see them scoring.
Dylan getting better every week, and deserved MOTM. A wee word for Barker though, loved his performance last night, as I’ve been a wee bit critical of his end product in recent weeks, blistering pace as well.
As for Hearts, can’t believe fans would pay to watch that sort of hoof football every week, and Berra the Ref

Well done to all involved in the planning and execution of the display. Loved it, a great night to be a Hibee

Agree with you re Barker. Had the Jambo defence petrified

Billy Whizz
25-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Agree with you re Barker. Had the Jambo defence petrified

Think there may be a song somewhere in that

hughio
25-10-2017, 02:11 PM

Quality summary Sir.
Quality display in FF.well done organisers!

Dylan MOM.He cannot continue this run of form..can he?

:flag::flag::flag:

ehf
25-10-2017, 08:22 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/fd9c3d41d3b6688a68e45a199ef934e7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171025/3a7e2149551f0e3ef88275cd03359966.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's brilliant :greengrin

Lots of damaged seats; what do these cretins think that will achieve :rolleyes:

Onceinawhile
25-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Not sure how we deserved to hammer them their keeper didn't make a save you wouldn't expect him to.

We had a lot of crosses that looked dangerous but we had no one in the middle. Other than that, whitts should have scored but I can't think of anything else .

TrinityHibs
25-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Not sure how we deserved to hammer them their keeper didn't make a save you wouldn't expect him to.

We had a lot of crosses that looked dangerous but we had no one in the middle. Other than that, whitts should have scored but I can't think of anything else .

BBC said we had 4 shots on target.

SideBurns
25-10-2017, 09:14 PM
Great stuff as usual JC! One thing I'd like to mention is that, while it is undoubtedly true we are no soft touch under Lenny, I think Stubbsy also deserves credit for a change of attitude in the derby; he only lost 1 in 6, and that was his first one when Liam Craig's missed penalty cost us a point.

brog
25-10-2017, 09:17 PM
Excellent as ever John. Re the ref I'm still trying to work out how Yams got a free kick when Boyle was kicked in the head. Surely a first!

brog
25-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Great stuff as usual JC! One thing I'd like to mention is that, while it is undoubtedly true we are no soft touch under Lenny, I think Stubbsy also deserves credit for a change of attitude in the derby; he only lost 1 in 6, and that was his first one when Liam Craig's missed penalty cost us a point.

I posted similar on another thread yesterday. We even got a draw at PBS with a 2nd half all left sided defence & a midfield of Handling, Robertson, Craig & Allan. It was great to see the neutral AS punching the air at FT yesterday.

Jonnyboy
25-10-2017, 09:41 PM

Good point, well made :aok:

Robinho08
26-10-2017, 06:29 PM
We did have that one very brief shaky moment with that goal mouth scramble, but otherwise in full control. Excellent account of the game. 👍🏼