PDA

View Full Version : What was missing has been found

Jamesie
24-10-2017, 09:50 PM
There was a spell midway through the second half tonight when McGinn, McGeouch and Bartley were involved in consecutive heavy challenges that really summed up the Lennon ethos and told me that this Hibs team has come of age.

For far too long in Derbies we would have been intimated by the rough and tumble and Hearts' aggression but we stood up to each and every challenge thrown at us and won each and every battle. This team has a backbone that we were missing for so many years and it is simply a joy to watch! :flag:

Jamesie
24-10-2017, 09:51 PM
And when did we last have two wingers who were as effective as Barker and Squirrel? O'Neill and Crunchie perhaps?

Santa Cruz
24-10-2017, 09:52 PM
Spot on Jamesie

lapsedhibee
24-10-2017, 09:55 PM
There was a spell midway through the second half tonight when McGinn, McGeouch and Bartley were involved in consecutive heavy challenges that really summed up the Lennon ethos and told me that this Hibs team has come of age.

For far too long in Derbies we would have been intimated by the rough and tumble and Hearts' aggression but we stood up to each and every challenge thrown at us and won each and every battle. This team has a backbone that we were missing for so many years and it is simply a joy to watch! :flag:

:agree: Potter seemed bereft in his post match interview. As if the thought has suddenly occurred to him that there is now no way for his teams to win the derbies.

wookie70
24-10-2017, 09:58 PM
I don't think they have bullied us for a few years and Stubbs as well as Lennon have the mix right between power, pace and passing. I think what we had tonight that has been missing in the last two starting line ups was balance and a hunger to both play higher up the park and get the ball back as soon as possible. That was a team where everyone played in their best position and it showed as we looked very comfortable throughout. Just need to work on that killer pass and shot when we open teams up.

Pretty Boy
24-10-2017, 09:59 PM
I think the change in attitude in derbies predates Lennon, he has certainly carried it on though.

They really, really hate the fact that we mix it with them now. For too long they pitched up, kicked us about a bit and took 3 points. Not now; every single player at Hibs gets the Derby, they use the fans expectations to drive them on and they get the job done.

hfc rd
24-10-2017, 10:06 PM
I think the change in attitude in derbies predates Lennon, he has certainly carried it on though.

They really, really hate the fact that we mix it with them now. For too long they pitched up, kicked us about a bit and took 3 points. Not now; every single player at Hibs gets the Derby, they use the fans expectations to drive them on and they get the job done.

Totally agree

Peevemor
24-10-2017, 10:15 PM
For me it goes back to Leeann, George Craig & Stubbs coming in. Leeann (I think) explained that recruitment was as much about a player's personality as his football capability. Obviously, given the market we're in, none of our players are flawless, but they all seem to gel. They'll run through walls for each other, which is often more obvious in the "big" games.

We didn't have that during the period that we were changing managers and half the squad every season.

dp00
24-10-2017, 10:20 PM
For me McGinn’s challenge at the start set the tone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk