PDA

View Full Version : Kicking the ball out every kick off

WeeHibby
23-10-2017, 10:45 AM
Anyone else noticed that whenever we start with the ball either at the start of the game or half time we always kick it away for a throw in at the other teams corner flag? usually to the left of their GK. Most times I have seen it done though we get a shot on target but don't recall scoring from it. Must be a new tactic from NL

Thoughts ?

we are hibs
23-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Sure we've done this since time began, every single game it'd happen under Fenlon. Find it extremely frustrating

EricM
23-10-2017, 11:54 AM
I wish someone had done that in the SC semi last season!

macca70
23-10-2017, 11:59 AM
Noticed this and was going to start it similar thread.

I understand the thinking behind it as it pins them into the corner and there is a small chance the full back might even try to play it and make a mess of it.

Personally, I think we should keep the ball, pass it round the team, draw the opposition out and try build an attack.

Seems mental to launch it straight out the park rugby style towards the corner.

18Hibee75
23-10-2017, 12:42 PM
I remember years ago when I played semi professional football it was a tactic we used as it would take any pressure of our team and pin the opposition deep into their own half and try and pin them in there. Personally I would prefer to see us keep the ball and get everyone touching the ball to settle us into the game.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

blackpoolhibs
23-10-2017, 12:47 PM
I can understand it on crap pitches in the amateurs, but really we should be confident in our own ability at our level to play football.

Seems daft that we only do it then, if it was such a good idea why are we not putting long balls in the corners all game?

Saying that, as someone else said i wish we'd done it in last years semi against the dons.

greenlex
23-10-2017, 12:47 PM
It’s SJM every time. I think he’s got a coupon on with the opposition winning first throw in after we kick off.

matty_f
23-10-2017, 12:50 PM
I can understand it on crap pitches in the amateurs, but really we should be confident in our own ability at our level to play football.

Seems daft that we only do it then, if it was such a good idea why are we not putting long balls in the corners all game?

Saying that, as someone else said i wish we'd done it in last years semi against the dons.

Sure Terry Butcher's idea was to do exactly that - shell the ball into the corners and hope for the best.

JDHibs
23-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Does my head in!

Was always taught to pass it about for a few minutes, let everyone get a touch to calm the nerves.

Absolutely useless to punt the ball 40 yards to a 5ft 8 wide player

The_Horde
23-10-2017, 01:15 PM
Does my head in!

Was always taught to pass it about for a few minutes, let everyone get a touch to calm the nerves.

Absolutely useless to punt the ball 40 yards to a 5ft 8 wide player

Think you've missed the point a wee bit. It's not to a player it's into the corner flag to pin them in.

WeeHibby
23-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Think you've missed the point a wee bit. It's not to a player it's into the corner flag to pin them in.

Yeah they definitely do not aim for any wide player, they just want it as close to the flag as possible

Marcus_Hibs
23-10-2017, 09:03 PM
I've always been amazed by the amount off teams that do this. I understand trying to pin the opposition into a corner, which can obviously be effective, but typically the quicker you get rid of the ball, the quicker it comes back

Jamesie
23-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Pretty much rugby tactics really!

Firestarter
23-10-2017, 09:07 PM
It’s SJM every time. I think he’s got a coupon on with the opposition winning first throw in after we kick off.

It's better than what happened the Scottish Seni last season. Kick offs have always annoyed me ever since zambernardi decided to float a ball up the pitch instead of keeping it about 15 years ago.

Thecat23
23-10-2017, 09:37 PM
A lot of huge bets go on games for a thrown in first 10 seconds! Happens all over the world and betting firms were looking into trends of this. Not saying we or any player is doing it but it’s becoming clear that Hibs just now boot the ball out the park.

If it’s a tactic then I suggest we change it as it’s not helping us score early.

Jonnyboy
23-10-2017, 09:38 PM
It might work if we were any good at defending throw ins from the opposition. We're as good at that as winning the ball from our own throw ins

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to moan about throw ins as we've been dud at them for as long as I can remember :greengrin

wookie70
23-10-2017, 10:45 PM
Drove me nuts for a decade under Alex Miller and we seem to have went back to it along with another pet hate from that era - the lack of ability to take a throw in. If pinning an opposition into the corner was a good tactic when you have perfect possession in the centre circle then why wouldn't we always do that. The kick off is a set play albeit not a very dangerous one and we should have a plan for it. Use it as an opportunity to build an attack not to cheaply give away possession.

SRHibs
23-10-2017, 10:50 PM
Anyone else noticed that whenever we start with the ball either at the start of the game or half time we always kick it away for a throw in at the other teams corner flag? usually to the left of their GK. Most times I have seen it done though we get a shot on target but don't recall scoring from it. Must be a new tactic from NL

Thoughts ?

Laidlaw booted the ball out 3 GKs in a row vs Aberdeen. Never seen a keeper take so long to hit it either. We should be getting done for time wasting every time we have a GK.

KWJ
23-10-2017, 11:18 PM
Laidlaw booted the ball out 3 GKs in a row vs Aberdeen. Never seen a keeper take so long to hit it either. We should be getting done for time wasting every time we have a GK.

Noticed this a few games ago and now look out for it.

Think we've won the ball back in a dangerous position all but once since the motherwell game.

Odd but it seems to work.

snooky
24-10-2017, 01:13 AM
It might work if we were any good at defending throw ins from the opposition. We're as good at that as winning the ball from our own throw ins

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to moan about throw ins as we've been dud at them for as long as I can remember :greengrin

Hear hear. :agree:

Steve-O
24-10-2017, 01:28 AM
We'd be as well trying a shot on goal! Catch the keeper out?

Mibbes Aye
24-10-2017, 01:55 AM

:greengrin

I readily acknowledge you were going to games a fair bit before me J, but even given my starting point as a grown-up in the nineties, we have been abysmal at keeping possession from a throw-in. Several managers, god knows how many full backs and flanking players, and we still don’t seem to be able to get players to move into space to play a simple return pass to the guy taking the throw—in, the guy returning the pass then possibly moving into a different space on the off-chance that the player delivering the throw-in might recognise that a simple ball would allow us to continue to retain possession.

We also don’t win enough penalties IMO but that’s another story :greengrin