PDA

View Full Version : Pat Stanton / Leigh Griffiths?

Jamesie
23-10-2017, 07:51 AM
The warm reception that Leigh Griffiths has received from Hibs fans in the last two Matches against Celtic made me wonder if this is unique, or whether other Hibs fans who have gone on to Parkhead from Easter Road have received similar receptions. The most immediate example I could think of was Pat Stanton, although I wasn’t alive when he signed for Celtic at a very different stage in his career. I would be interested in hearing the recollections of aulder Hibbys on this. I do not recall a similar response and for Riordan, and I did think about Yogi, but his move was the other way around, and not aware of John Collins being a Hibs supporter - I think he is more Celtic.

Nakedmanoncrack
23-10-2017, 07:58 AM
The likes of Collins, Brown, Riordan were never particularly abused which is as friendly a reception as an opponent should expect, Ian Murray on the other hand certainly got a hot reception when he played against us for the old Huns!

Firestarter
23-10-2017, 08:02 AM
The tightest I can ever remember a player get it returning for one of the old firm was Didier Agathe. I'm sure he had to get subbed off a couple of times.

oneone73
23-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Caldwell too.

Michael
23-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Caldwell too.

I'm sure Caldwell got booed. He certainly did after he signed the pre-contract anyway.

JeMeSouviens
23-10-2017, 09:33 AM
The tightest I can ever remember a player get it returning for one of the old firm was Didier Agathe. I'm sure he had to get subbed off a couple of times.

Kenny Miller, the first time he came back with Der Hun (Old). He came on at half time and got relentless, deafening stick. He played 45 mins without venturing within 30 yards of the terracing. :greengrin

And Hibs won 1-0 (Zitelli). :flag:

Billychaotic182
23-10-2017, 09:38 AM
I was young so maybe getting my wires crossed with a Falkirk game, but I have this memory of Russell Latapy taking a corner for rangers and when he went to the corner flag the whole West and FF stand all applauded him, he recognised this and give us a clap back. Also remember fans doing the same for Stephan Glass in a friendly away to Dunfermline.

Michael
23-10-2017, 09:42 AM
I was young so maybe getting my wires crossed with a Falkirk game, but I have this memory of Russell Latapy taking a corner for rangers and when he went to the corner flag the whole West and FF stand all applauded him, he recognised this and give us a clap back. Also remember fans doing the same for Stephan Glass in a friendly away to Dunfermline.

I remember that happening when he was at Falkirk. I remember us giving him abuse when he was at Rangers and he gave us a wink.

Mick O'Rourke
23-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Jimmy O'Rourke
Although he did not play for Celtic,they did try to sign him.
Jimmy played for St Johnstone and Motherwell after leaving Hibernian.
In games against Hibs when at Saints and 'Well Jimmy's "song" was sung each time.
St Johnstone made him "captain for the day" in his first appearance against his beloved Hibernian.
The loudest cheer that day from the faithful was for Jimmy.

Every one knew his name:greengrin:flag:

JimBHibees
23-10-2017, 10:18 AM
Jimmy O'Rourke
Although he did not play for Cetlic,they did try to sign him.
Jimmy played for St Johnstone and Motherwell after leaving Hibernian.
In games against Hibs when at Saints and 'Well Jimmy's "song" was sung each time.
St Johnstone made him "captain for the day" in his first appearance against his beloved Hibernian.
The loudest cheer that day from the faithful was for Jimmy.

Every one knew his name:greengrin:flag:

Scored the winner that day if I'm not mistaken.

.Sean.
23-10-2017, 10:19 AM
The 'worst' I can remember was Ian Murray's first game back at Easter Road for the Huns, we won that day with goals from O'Connor and Riordan, we were maybe even two up at half time?

I've absolutely nothing against Griffiths but I do find it a bit cringeworthy singing about him especially when he's tying to beat us in a cup semi final.

Firestarter
23-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Kenny Miller, the first time he came back with Der Hun (Old). He came on at half time and got relentless, deafening stick. He played 45 mins without venturing within 30 yards of the terracing. :greengrin

Aye remember that funnily enough :greengrin Zitellis first home match for us too! Great game!

Cabbage East
23-10-2017, 10:25 AM

I remember that game well, Miller got it tight. Sure we went top of the table that day after beating the huns.

Hibbyradge
23-10-2017, 10:25 AM
The memory plays tricks, but Craig Paterson's reception at Easter Road was the most hostile in my perception.

"Craigy Paterson, Craigy Paterson, what's it like to be a hun?" boomed out of the stands.

I met him at a party later and he told me that it had hurt him deeply.

Pretty Boy
23-10-2017, 10:27 AM
I think Caldwell and Murray got it worse because they signed pre contracts. In Murrays case he got stick for being 'sneaky', in Caldwells because he was honest about it.

Plenty ex Hibs players have had good receptions when coming back in recent years. I remember Andy McNeill coming on as a sub for Morton and getting a warm reception quite recently. Even James McFadden got a round of applause in his 2nd stint at Motherwell from Hibs fans due to his efforts for Scotland over the years.

I really don't mind it and I think people way overplay the impact it has on the game. I love the tribal aspect of football but I really can't get into the mindset of having to 'hate' every player who plays against us. I applauded Griffiths on Saturday, I'll probably do so again because I like him and I appreciate what he done for Hibs at a pretty crap time for the club. I'll probably also applaud guys like Fraser Fyvie, Liam Henderson and James Keatings should they play against us as well.

Firestarter
23-10-2017, 10:31 AM
The 'worst' I can remember was Ian Murray's first game back at Easter Road for the Huns, we won that day with goals from O'Connor and Riordan, we were maybe even two up at half time?

I've absolutely nothing against Griffiths but I do find it a bit cringeworthy singing about him especially when he's tying to beat us in a cup semi final.

Was that the game Ferguson got sent off for them too? Murray couldn't handle playing us that was evident, sure he flicked the finger when we where pumping them in the Scottish at Ibrox too.

Mick O'Rourke
23-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Scored the winner that day if I'm not mistaken.
The game i refer too was in Perth
Jimmy did score on his "return" to the Holy Ground for Saints
A goal scored in the first few minutes of the game
I got in late and missed it:greengrin
He scored against the not so noisy neighbours over on the dark side the same season.
I went to that game at the invite from some jambos and just:greengrin when it went in.

FilipinoHibs
23-10-2017, 10:34 AM
The memory plays tricks, but Craig Paterson's reception at Easter Road was the most hostile in my perception.

"Craigy Paterson, Craigy Paterson, what's it like to be a hun?" boomed out of the stands.

You could tell when he was a BBC pundit he was a real Hibbie.

Mick O'Rourke
23-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Didn't Caldwell make a gesture to the East (after scoring) that annoyed many fans?

Peevemor
23-10-2017, 10:36 AM

I remember it well - it was pretty ferocious.

CropleyWasGod
23-10-2017, 10:41 AM
I remember it well - it was pretty ferocious.

Conversely, a couple of years later, (unannounced) he was made captain for an end-of-season game at ER against us. I was in the Enclosure that day and, when he led the team out, there was a smile on his face as the Hibs fans went apoplectic. :greengrin

Lago
23-10-2017, 10:59 AM
The game i refer too was in Perth
Jimmy did score on his "return" to the Holy Ground for Saints
A goal scored in the first few minutes of the game
I got in late and missed it:greengrin
He scored against the not so noisy neighbours over on the dark side the same season.
I went to that game at the invite from some jambos and just:greengrin when it went in.
I wasn't late & was still applauding him when he ran up the park & scored.:greengrin

Iceman1875
23-10-2017, 11:09 AM
The tightest i heard for a former player returning was Ian Murray when he played for Rangers around the same time George Best died. Felt like the whole ground sang ‘Iaaaaaan Murray, you a w**ker, your a w**ker’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiber-nation
23-10-2017, 11:10 AM

Aye that was a very hot reception!

Gordon Durie got it just as tight and gave about 10 GIRFUYs to the South Enclosure (Hibs got both enclosures in these days) when he scored against us.

Hermit Crab
23-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Didn't Caldwell make a gesture to the East (after scoring) that annoyed many fans?

Yes he scored at ER to make it 2-2 in the Boruc game, we won 3-2 but when scored he ran to the east terracing giving us the GIRUY gesture, we had been giving him pelters the whole game and rightly so. Snake.

Firestarter
23-10-2017, 11:19 AM
Yes he scored at ER to make it 2-2 in the Boruc game, we won 3-2 but when scored he ran to the east terracing giving us the GIRUY gesture, we had been giving him pelters the whole game and rightly so. Snake.

I thought he cupped his ears and laughing like ****. Just after he was in the papers cheating on his missus with a hun hence the song? Great game mind.

Just Jimmy
23-10-2017, 11:19 AM
I remember that game well, Miller got it tight. Sure we went top of the table that day after beating the huns.I think that was either the week before or the week after we pumped the merricks 6-2 as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Speedy
23-10-2017, 11:28 AM
The warm reception that Leigh Griffiths has received from Hibs fans in the last two Matches against Celtic made me wonder if this is unique, or whether other Hibs fans who have gone on to Parkhead from Easter Road have received similar receptions. The most immediate example I could think of was Pat Stanton, although I wasn’t alive when he signed for Celtic at a very different stage in his career. I would be interested in hearing the recollections of aulder Hibbys on this. I do not recall a similar response and for Riordan, and I did think about Yogi, but his move was the other way around, and not aware of John Collins being a Hibs supporter - I think he is more Celtic.

Griffiths is probably unique in that he never really 'left us' in the sense that players normally choose to leave.

Because he was on loan and seemed happy coming back if given the chance there is no reason for bad blood.

Tom Hart RIP
23-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Against Rangers shortly after Colin Stein signed for them, a game at ER was held up when a dog ran onto the pitch. The Hibs fans in the shed chanted "colin Colin Colin Stein"

Tom Hart RIP
23-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Wee Russell got a good reception when he was with Falkirk but can't remember him playing against us with Rangers??

brog
23-10-2017, 04:09 PM

From memory Pat got a fine reception. I remember however near the end of the game Arthur Duncan did his usual forward's tackle on the King. Pat showed his displeasure & the crowd quickly reminded him he was no longer a Hibs Player!

One Day
23-10-2017, 04:18 PM

serves him right

SteveHFC
23-10-2017, 04:24 PM
Not a ex player but i'm sure some of our crowd applauded Nigel Hasselbaink when he played against us for Hamilton.

bigwheel
23-10-2017, 04:33 PM
I like the fact that sometimes , amongst the madness and usual tribal rivalry in football, the Hibs crowd can rise above it all and applaud someone who has done the business for us in the past, or has had an outstanding game - if anything, that is surely "Hibs class"!

ancient hibee
23-10-2017, 04:39 PM
The first game Gordon Smith played at ER for Hearts a guy near me shouted “get into that Hibs reject”so idiot supporters are nothing new To be fair he was invited to leave for his own safety by a very large serviceman nearby.So he did.

Hibrandenburg
23-10-2017, 04:42 PM

There were all sorts of crazy even cringeworthy reactions to Stanton's departure. People boycotting games and even a Hibs supporters branch that started going to Celtic games.

Firestarter
23-10-2017, 07:21 PM
I think that was either the week before or the week after we pumped the merricks 6-2 as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Saturday before. Aberdeen was the week prior to that too and we won.

Jamesie
23-10-2017, 09:04 PM
There were all sorts of crazy even cringeworthy reactions to Stanton's departure. People boycotting games and even a Hibs supporters branch that started going to Celtic games.

I had no idea this happened!

Firestarter
23-10-2017, 09:05 PM

Sad as tbh.

heretoday
23-10-2017, 09:17 PM
There must be a pretty good XI of ex-Hibs who went to Celtic. Didn't Roughie play for them latterly? Agathe, Laursen, Stanton, I'm away now, Collins, Griffiths, Kenny Miller went to Celtic eventually, Gordon Marshall snr, Riordan, Caldwell, Darren Jackson?, Killen, McGinlay, Brown, Ronnie Simpson.

G B Young
23-10-2017, 10:01 PM

There was an interview with Craig in the Scotsman (I think) at the weekend and he said he'd have been happy to play his whole career at Hibs but his dad John (a great Hibs player from the Famous Five days) told him to take the Rangers offer.

We were pretty dross at the time but the huns weren't much better when Paterson went there, though he did win a couple of League Cups with them and (I think) a Scottish Cup with Motherwell. Think he was also part of the Hibs team which won the First Division in 80/81 so he had a decent enough careeer.

Re Pat Stanton, the fact his testimonial match was at ER between Hibs and Celtic (did he play one half for either team or am I imagining that?) probably confirms he was never likely to get a bad reception from the Hibs support who probably understood his reasons for leaving.

Sir David Gray
23-10-2017, 10:14 PM
Wee Russell got a good reception when he was with Falkirk but can't remember him playing against us with Rangers??

He played against us three times whilst playing for them.

hibsdaft
23-10-2017, 10:15 PM

wow, that is really hard to comprehend.

Stantons Angel
23-10-2017, 10:58 PM
I think it was more the way that Turnbull treated Stanton previous to him leaving and to the way he was made to leave.

He dropped the captain of his team to the bench for the Liverpool games and some of the league games too giving no excuses to the fans.

I remember him warming up at Annfield as a sub when he should have been leading his team out that night. It was so sad to see his loyalty and severance to Hibs and that team being treated so badly.

Away to Airdrie on night he was a sub and the fans started calling for him to come on by chanting his name for a very long time. The stubbornness of Turnbull showed by putting other subs on instead of him angered the crowd.

We were playing a night game at Easter Road when i was met of my bus from home by a group of my friends who had come to meet me to tell me they had just heard he had gone to Celtic. I was so upset at the way this had turned out for him the player and captain of our team and for the man PAT STANTON is!

It is well documented that he was called and told that Jock Stein wanted to speak with him through at Parkhead and the rest is history. Some say Turnbull phoned Stein and told him he was available for transfer if he wanted him...... and Stein did want him!

It was all done cloak and dagger style and spoiled a very fruitful relationship for Pat and the club. Leaving the Hibs fans in disbelief and frustration at the way it happened!

--------
24-10-2017, 01:03 AM
I think it was more the way that Turnbull treated Stanton previous to him leaving and to the way he was made to leave.

He dropped the captain of his team to the bench for the Liverpool games and some of the league games too giving no excuses to the fans.

I remember him warming up at Annfield as a sub when he should have been leading his team out that night. It was so sad to see his loyalty and severance to Hibs and that team being treated so badly.

Away to Airdrie on night he was a sub and the fans started calling for him to come on by chanting his name for a very long time. The stubbornness of Turnbull showed by putting other subs on instead of him angered the crowd.

We were playing a night game at Easter Road when i was met of my bus from home by a group of my friends who had come to meet me to tell me they had just heard he had gone to Celtic. I was so upset at the way this had turned out for him the player and captain of our team and for the man PAT STANTON is!

It is well documented that he was called and told that Jock Stein wanted to speak with him through at Parkhead and the rest is history. Some say Turnbull phoned Stein and told him he was available for transfer if he wanted him...... and Stein did want him!

It was all done cloak and dagger style and spoiled a very fruitful relationship for Pat and the club. Leaving the Hibs fans in disbelief and frustration at the way it happened!

The way ET and Hart treated Pat Stanton (the best footballer I have ever seen in the flesh, and head and shoulders above the vast majority of those I've watched on TV) was disgusting and unforgivable. Even now the memory leaves a dirty taste in the mouth, and it was a very long time - 1989, in fact - before I was ready to go back to ER. Pat deserved so much better treatment and so much more respect, but then so did a lot of other players at the club in those days.

Steve-O
24-10-2017, 01:46 AM
I thought he cupped his ears and laughing like ****. Just after he was in the papers cheating on his missus with a hun hence the song? Great game mind.

That must've been a different game because I missed that 3-2 game, but FULLY recall singing "what's it like to sh*g a hun?" at Caldwell one time. It was very loud :hilarious

I think it was possibly the game when we beat them 2-1 at the end of the season when Sproule scored with the last kick of the game? Great game that was.

Another I recall is Darren Jackson - definitely a chorus of "Jackson Jackson what's the score?" after that Chic Charnley winner yon time.

Also definitely recall lambasting Agathe, Murray, Thomson and many others.

Can't remember applauding too many returnees though I must admit! No malice towards Griffiths at all and probably wouldn't boo him, but wouldn't be singing his name unless I was at a Scotland match!

emerald green
24-10-2017, 08:58 AM
I'm sure Caldwell got booed. He certainly did after he signed the pre-contract anyway.

He got more than booed after he gestured to the Hibs fans in the East after he scored for Celtic. Pr***.

Stantons Angel
24-10-2017, 09:16 AM
The way ET and Hart treated Pat Stanton (the best footballer I have ever seen in the flesh, and head and shoulders above the vast majority of those I've watched on TV) was disgusting and unforgivable. Even now the memory leaves a dirty taste in the mouth, and it was a very long time - 1989, in fact - before I was ready to go back to ER. Pat deserved so much better treatment and so much more respect, but then so did a lot of other players at the club in those days.

Every thing you say is true. It must have hurt Pat deeply to be treated so badly and I don't think the younger generation can grasp how much respect and love the supporters had for him.

Even today I still think the club does not do enough to give him the respect he deserves but that is another issue.... Perhaps he is too popular with supporters ? Who knows......

I keep getting told that we got McNamara and he was a great player for us. Yes Jackie was a great player and did fill the gap well but not in the way Pat filled the hearts of many. Jackie is the first to admit that he was so surprised to see Pat Stanton in the Celtic car park being led in to the stadium as his replacement.

No one ever thought that Pat would never end his career with the Hibs........ but he went on to win medals and was treated with great respect at Celtic something he never got from Eddie Turnbull and Tom Hart at the time.

Jamesie
24-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Even today I still think the club does not do enough to give him the respect he deserves but that is another issue.... Perhaps he is too popular with supporters ? Who knows......

I was quite surprised to bump into Pat on Leith Links during the Cup parade on 22 May 2016 - I would have thought the club would have had Pat and other living legends involved in the celebrations but then again maybe Pat wanted to be with the fans! Selfishly it meant I managed to fulfil a long held ambition of getting a photo with the great man, which only added to one of the best days of all time!

Hillsidehibby
24-10-2017, 09:39 AM
I remember a Celtic fan saying to me after a good gubbing from them "that's what you get for not giving us Pat Stanton sooner "

chinaman
24-10-2017, 09:41 AM

The little pxxxk enjoyed a wee hug from Sevcos brain dead pond life fans, when he jumped into the end to celebrate a goal, he also ran past the east when he scored against us with his hand over his mouth laughing mockingly.we shouldn't forgive the disrespectful ********

DarlingtonHibee
24-10-2017, 10:14 AM
I was quite surprised to bump into Pat on Leith Links during the Cup parade on 22 May 2016 - I would have thought the club would have had Pat and other living legends involved in the celebrations but then again maybe Pat wanted to be with the fans! Selfishly it meant I managed to fulfil a long held ambition of getting a photo with the great man, which only added to one of the best days of all time!

Is pat not involved on match day? Should be a full time paid ambassador for the club