PDA

View Full Version : The Pen

greenlex
22-10-2017, 02:38 PM
If you win the ball and in the process wipe the opponent out anywhere on the pitch your opponent gets a free kick as you have deemed to have fouled them. Do it in the box it’s s Pen. Nothing soft about it. Just saying.

Vini1875
22-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Watched it a few times and think that Boyle kicks the ball before Boyata.

Smartie
22-10-2017, 04:04 PM
I've seen it a few times and it's right up there with the worst decisions I've seen.

Did anyone even think about claiming for a penalty? He got the ball, he wasn't using excessive force and he didn't go through Boyle to get the ball.

If only it had led to the end of the 59 game unbeaten run. If we thought Sevco were good at releasing statements and starting petitions............

Thecat23
22-10-2017, 04:05 PM
I've seen it a few times and it's right up there with the worst decisions I've seen.

Did anyone even think about claiming for a penalty? He got the ball, he wasn't using excessive force and he didn't go through Boyle to get the ball.

If only it had led to the end of the 59 game unbeaten run. If we thought Sevco were good at releasing statements and starting petitions............

Takes Boyle out, it’s a pen. I’m sure it’s also Boyle that kicks it’s out!

Thecat23
22-10-2017, 04:07 PM
If you win the ball and in the process wipe the opponent out anywhere on the pitch your opponent gets a free kick as you have deemed to have fouled them. Do it in the box it’s s Pen. Nothing soft about it. Just saying.

Exactly, not really sure what folk are seeing, it’s a pen and it’s clear as day.

nickwhibs
22-10-2017, 04:10 PM

100%

hibsdaft
22-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Takes Boyle out, it’s a pen. I’m sure it’s also Boyle that kicks it’s out!

if Boyle has already lost control of the ball is it still a pen?

overdrive
22-10-2017, 04:47 PM

Yep, I am failing to see at which point Boyata actually touches the ball.

matty_f
22-10-2017, 04:58 PM
Thought it was a clear penalty at the time and am still of that opinion having watched it back a few times.

Genuinely baffled at the outrage the decision provoked from the commentators. They made it sound like it was the quest decision you'll ever see and that Celtc were the victims of some horrendous injustice.

hibs#1
22-10-2017, 05:01 PM
Thought it was a clear penalty at the time and am still of that opinion having watched it back a few times.

Genuinely baffled at the outrage the decision provoked from the commentators. They made it sound like it was the quest decision you'll ever see and that Celtc were the victims of some horrendous injustice.

I'm the same thought at the time it was a stonewaller still think it was a penalty.Mock outrage by certain people same as the ticket situation.

Danderhall Hibs
22-10-2017, 05:04 PM
Pretty soft imo.

If we get one like that against us on Tuesday night I’ll go radge.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Did any of the commentators say that these things even up over the season or does that only apply to 50-50 decisions that go for Celtc?

Thecat23
22-10-2017, 05:19 PM
if Boyle has already lost control of the ball is it still a pen?

Yeah. If a player if taken out anywhere on the park it’s a free kick you don’t need to have the ball for it to be a foul.

Iggy Pope
22-10-2017, 05:30 PM
Penalty. And a yellow. Boyatta is also very ***** in a kind of standing about waiting on the shortie from Plukey kind of way. Boyle looked to have him petrified and we should have exploited this and the Hun in Hoops on the other side who was on a yellow that should have been red. Missed opportunities.

Keith_M
22-10-2017, 05:30 PM
I was sitting directly behind th goals and it looked at th time that Boyle was taken out.

The ref wasn't going to give it but the linesman, who had a better view, flagged it up.

brianmc
22-10-2017, 05:32 PM
People that refer to penalties as pens - gets right on my thruppenies....

Oops, thought this was the Peeves thread!

superfurryhibby
22-10-2017, 05:32 PM
Yeah. If a player if taken out anywhere on the park it’s a free kick you don’t need to have the ball for it to be a foul.

A bit like Stevenson's one v the Jambos. The one where the ball was going out but the daftie in Maroon thought he would just help his mate make sure and knocked Lewy over at the same time. Soft pen, fair enough.

Thecat23
22-10-2017, 05:39 PM
A bit like Stevenson's one v the Jambos. The one where the ball was going out but the daftie in Maroon thought he would just help his mate make sure and knocked Lewy over at the same time. Soft pen, fair enough.

Exactly.

Viva_Palmeiras
22-10-2017, 06:18 PM
Yes I think Craigan should be kept in a pen.

easty
22-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Was a definite pen

SRHibs
22-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Yep, I am failing to see at which point Boyata actually touches the ball.
Yeah I was shouting at the TV when they were showing the replays and getting progressively more outraged at the decision. It looked like it came off the outside of Boyle's foot and like a really good decision by the ref.

emerald green
22-10-2017, 06:27 PM
Pretty soft imo.

If we get one like that against us on Tuesday night I’ll go radge.

:agree: Watch out, Walker's about.

Famous Fiver
22-10-2017, 06:41 PM
When Craig Gordon remonstrated with (and was not booked) for insulting the assistant referee, the official's response was ' So you didn't think it was a penalty, buy a paper the morn's morning, son and you'll see whether it was a penalty or not!'

Hibernia&Alba
23-10-2017, 01:26 PM
IMHO, never a penalty. I was amazed it was given.

JimBHibees
23-10-2017, 01:39 PM
IMHO, never a penalty. I was amazed it was given.

Agree didnt think it was a pen would be raging if we had got that given against us.

Velma Dinkley
23-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Weren't we denied a penalty when a Celtic player handled the ball in the box towards the start of the game?

3pm
23-10-2017, 03:56 PM
https://trib.al/vv7xrvv

Linesman apologises to Rodgers. Did the other one apologise to Lennon for the 4th goal when Sinclair was offside?

WeeRussell
23-10-2017, 06:59 PM
I expected it to look far softer when I seen the highlights given the comments on here. Clear case for a penalty as far as I can see.

Souter96Mac
23-10-2017, 09:30 PM
https://trib.al/vv7xrvv

Linesman apologises to Rodgers. Did the other one apologise to Lennon for the 4th goal when Sinclair was offside?

Official apologises for awarding clear penalty? Eh?

GreenLake
23-10-2017, 10:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_J1WKD5dz4&feature=youtu.be

Sir David Gray
23-10-2017, 10:54 PM
I thought it was never a penalty at the time. Having seen the footage from different angles I can understand why it's been given but I still think it was soft.

It's one where you're screaming for it if you're the attacking team and going mental if it goes against you.

Marcus_Hibs
24-10-2017, 06:50 AM
At the time, I was pleasantly surprised it was given, as it didn't look all that much in real time, but I can definitely see why it was given.

however, for the officials to apologise to Rodgers and Celtic for the decision is shocking in my opinion. OK it's not the most clear cut penalty ever, but is everyone that much in awe/fear of Celtic, that any perceived injustice, no matter how small, must be apologised for?! In the end it didn't have any bearing on the game, so it really does seem unnecessary to apologise.

JimBHibees
24-10-2017, 06:56 AM
At the time, I was pleasantly surprised it was given, as it didn't look all that much in real time, but I can definitely see why it was given.

however, for the officials to apologise to Rodgers and Celtic for the decision is shocking in my opinion. OK it's not the most clear cut penalty ever, but is everyone that much in awe/fear of Celtic, that any perceived injustice, no matter how small, must be apologised for?! In the end it didn't have any bearing on the game, so it really does seem unnecessary to apologise.

Agree totally also Rodgers mentioning it to the press highlights it to all other officials. No mention of the 4th goal being clearly offside though.

CorrieHibs
24-10-2017, 07:00 AM
Agree totally also Rodgers mentioning it to the press highlights it to all other officials. No mention of the 4th goal being clearly offside though.

Fourth goal wasn't offside. Linesman made a good decisions tbf.

Can't believe the officials apologised though. Decisions go against teams every week when they play against Celtic and no one aplogises!

JimBHibees
24-10-2017, 07:06 AM

Can't believe the officials apologised though. Decisions go against teams every week when they play against Celtic and no one aplogises!

Yes it was. Sinclair in a clear offside position runs toward the ball making him offside.

JimBHibees
24-10-2017, 07:08 AM

Agree totally the picture of a linesman asking for Brendans forgiveness after the game is cringeworthy.

danhibees1875
24-10-2017, 07:22 AM
Yes it was. Sinclair in a clear offside position runs toward the ball making him offside.

I don't think running towards the ball matters. It's whether he interfered with play - which I'm not so sure he does.

As for the pen, I thought it was a stonewall penalty at the game, after seeing the highlights it probably wasn't. No need for a heartfelt apology to Celtic though, refs would have to apologise to both managers after every game if that's the rule.

Marcus_Hibs
24-10-2017, 07:23 AM

Exactly. Making the apology so public (as well as the apology in the first place) sets a dangerous prescident

CorrieHibs
24-10-2017, 07:24 AM

He has to touch the ball though? Is that not the rule?

That's why Dembele is screaming at him to leave it.

JimBHibees
24-10-2017, 07:52 AM
I don't think running towards the ball matters. It's whether he interfered with play - which I'm not so sure he does.

As for the pen, I thought it was a stonewall penalty at the game, after seeing the highlights it probably wasn't. No need for a heartfelt apology to Celtic though, refs would have to apologise to both managers after every game if that's the rule.

Running towards the ball means he is interfering with play.

Hibernia&Alba
24-10-2017, 07:55 AM
The offside law is now a complete dog's breakfast; far too subjective and unclear. All this stuff about phases of play and active/inactive. I'd like to go back to the days of any player in an offside position means the whistle is blown. Wasn't who Brian Clough who said anyone who isn't interfering with play shouldn't be on the pitch?

So, Sinclair, if he's in what used to be an offside position, is only offside if he runs towards the ball. He doesn't have to touch it, but merely move towards it. If he runs away from the ball from the same position, he isn't offside. The rule is a mess; linesmen have an impossible job in trying to weigh up so many factors in a split second.