PDA

View Full Version : Were Hibs right to request a 50/50 semi-final ticket split?

G B Young
22-10-2017, 09:25 AM
Thoughts?

BH Hibs
22-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Yes it’s a semi final at a supposedly neutral ground and to otherwise could’ve set a precedent for future games there. We should also have demanded the East side of the ground as well as getting away from the game from that side was the usual nightmare. **** Celtic and the SFA with this traditional end nonsense.

Sir David Gray
22-10-2017, 09:47 AM
Yes.

Hibernia&Alba
22-10-2017, 09:49 AM
With hindsight we can say no, because we didn't come close to selling all of them. However, hindsight is easy; the club would have been expecting to sell more.

Onceinawhile
22-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Yes. But the tickets should have been sold in a way that they could have been handed back when it became obvious we couldn't sell them.

Ozyhibby
22-10-2017, 09:50 AM
Yes and no.
We should be allowed the chance to sell as many as we can but once it’s clear we can’t shift them then they should be returned.
The problem is that the SPFL insist on us selling the tickets from the half way line back so that it looks better for TV. Once you do that at Hampden, segregation becomes impossible if tickets are returned.
This isn’t a Hibs problem, it’s the SPFL’s. We had a decent crowd there for a lunchtime kick off.
There is absolutely no area of the game where the people are running it are not failing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibs#1
22-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Yes,celtic wouldnt have sold out and its supposed to be a neutral venue they already have plenty of advantages over the rest.also it's seems to have annoyed them no end so get it up them.

Scottie
22-10-2017, 09:53 AM
Club right to expect more tickets to be sold yesterday. For some reason a big part of our support didn't fancy Hampden yesterday. Let's hope the Hampden visits we have come to expect don't dry up.

Glory Lurker
22-10-2017, 09:57 AM
Yes and no.
We should be allowed the chance to sell as many as we can but once it’s clear we can’t shift them then they should be returned.
The problem is that the SPFL insist on us selling the tickets from the half way line back so that it looks better for TV. Once you do that at Hampden, segregation becomes impossible if tickets are returned.
This isn’t a Hibs problem, it’s the SPFL’s. We had a decent crowd there for a lunchtime kick off.
There is absolutely no area of the game where the people are running it are not failing.

:top marksIt’s not Hibs fault.

Golden Bear
22-10-2017, 09:58 AM
From the Beeb's gossip page:-

"Hibernian's failure to sell 10,000 tickets for Saturday's Scottish League Cup semi-final has cost opponents Celtic, plus Rangers and Motherwell, who play on Sunday, up to £62,500 each." (Sunday Mail)

However there's no guarantee that Celtic would have sold out our residual ticket allocation. I wonder if there will be a similar headline after today's game?

Kaff
22-10-2017, 10:05 AM
Yes and no.

This is the problem and if the club had agreed to sell tickets from the South stand around ending up with sales in the North there would be uproar and I'd expect sales to be much worse than yesterday.
Has there been a recent occasion where Hibs, Aberdeen or Hearts have had this situation at Hampden? I know we were pretty much behind the goals in the East for 2004 semi vs Rangers but I don't recall them having an enormous support, remember the torrential rain/sleet where they vacated the lower part of the stands so had to be plenty empty for them to be all up the back?
It's important we back the club on this imo

Sir David Gray
22-10-2017, 10:06 AM

"Hibernian's failure to sell 10,000 tickets for Saturday's Scottish League Cup semi-final has cost opponents Celtic, plus Rangers and Motherwell, who play on Sunday, up to £62,500 each." (Sunday Mail)

However there's no guarantee that Celtic would have sold out our residual ticket allocation. I wonder if there will be a similar headline after today's game?

I don't think today's game has a 50/50 split. I think Sevco will have about 40,000 fans there today.

Pete
22-10-2017, 10:10 AM
Yes and no.

Agree.

Asking for the West initially, selling it clockwise and seeing how it goes is the way forward.

I can see both points of view here.

Nutmegged
22-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Absolutely, every club who makes a semi or a final should have the opportunity to sell upto 50% of the tickets IF they sho choose, that being said, there should also be a cut off point that should you have to hand over a portion of unsold tickets for the event organisers to then sell on.

GreenNWhiteArmy
22-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Yes and no.

Absolutely spot on

Add in the fact that the rangers have sold over 40k for today so naturally Celtic wanted to sell as many to show they're Glasgow's number one.

If today's game was Motherwell vs Aberdeen then I also don't believe Celtic would have been demanding as many.

We probably should have sold from the south round in hindsight

As for 11k. I wasn't there and I've explained my reasoning. Another factor for fans will be there the old firm have again been given there own "end" and that doesn't sit well with people. Not excuses but examples of why people may not want to enter the national stadium where our "SFA" are situated.

Whether it's hampden or tynecastle- out with the old firm we sell more tickets for league cup semi finals than any other club

Billy Whizz
22-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Of course we were with our history of late. How would they have given celtic more tickets, other than giving them the whole north and south
Did Celtic have upper south above Hibs fans, as it wasn’t full!

Firestarter
22-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Celtic struggled to shift all there's too.

Frazerbob
22-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Of course we were with our history of late. How would they have given celtic more tickets, other than giving them the whole north and south

They did and it was, bar the front couple of rows for safety.

This is what I don't get. Celtic & Hibs both received 21000 tickets. Celtic were then given an additional 3000, presumable the South Upper above us. So, they had around 24k. The total crowd was over 38k meaning we had a lot more than the 10k everyone is banging on about, nearer 13k I'd say. That's more than the total crowd at Easter Road when Hearts played ICT in 2014. Where was the outcry then?

J-C
22-10-2017, 10:20 AM
Obviously yes considering the support we've taken through this past few seasons at Hampden for semis and finals, TBH I'm more disappointed in the Hibs fans for not backing the team in what is a semi against the best team in the league and one we pushed all the way recently at Parkhead, I'm not having this early kick off and on TV p1sh either, support your team, that simple. There wouldn't be this discussion if we'd sold nearer 18K.

Sir David Gray
22-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Yes they did.

If Celtic were ever going to get more tickets, they would have had to sell our tickets differently. With Hibs fans in the south, north and west, they could only have put Celtic fans in between the Hibs support which wouldn't have been ideal.

Hibs would have needed to sell one section at a time, either in the south OR the north OR selling the full west stand.

Selling it the way we did was never going to work if Celtic were going to get extra tickets.

Carheenlea
22-10-2017, 10:27 AM
Every semi and final should be split 50/50 regardless of who is playing in the interests of neutrality and fairness. Nobody should really be getting more than half the tickets at any neutral venue.

Jones28
22-10-2017, 10:28 AM
We were absolutely correct to request it, but maybe should have taken the decision this week to give back a few thousand. Is it not the case that all the money from these games is pooled and split 4 ways?

SRHibs
22-10-2017, 10:29 AM
From a financial perspective, no. To give ourselves the best chance of going through, yes.

Frazerbob
22-10-2017, 10:30 AM
Every semi and final should be split 50/50 regardless of who is playing in the interests of neutrality and fairness. Nobody should really be getting more than half the tickets at any neutral venue.

What about when we played St Johnstone at Tynie?

Gatecrasher
22-10-2017, 10:35 AM
Yes, I would have expected another few thousand hibs fans yesterday and so would have the club. There were various factors for the turn out yesterday. As others have pointed out if the tickets were sold in a way that they could be handed back if unsold I'm sure they would have done so.

greenlex
22-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Celtic struggled to shift all there's too.

I could have bought dozens for the Celtic end outside the ground.

Firestarter
22-10-2017, 10:41 AM
I could have bought dozens for the Celtic end outside the ground.

Seen people trying to shift them in the city centre too.

Keith_M
22-10-2017, 11:05 AM
In hindsight it was maybe the wrong decision but there was no way Hibs could know our ticket sales would be so low.

No matter what choice they made, some people would still complain.

Spike Mandela
22-10-2017, 11:11 AM
Hibs are between a rock and a hard place. The tickets only went on sale with 2 weeks till the game and had to estimate demand.

Obviously we have sold out allocations for big games in the past, finals mainly. Semi finals I have seen anywhere between 7,000 and 19,000.. The higher attendances tend to be later KO,s than 12.15.

When Hibs were asked to anticipate demand, considering we have 13,000 season ticket holders , it woudn’t have been unreasonable to expect 15,000 or more which would probaby cause segregation issues if trying to manage selling any unsold tickets to Celtic fans.

Hibs ultimately have to look after Hibs fans first and foremost. Imagine they requested only 15,000 tickets and 17,000 fans tried to get them. .net would have been in meltdown.

The SFA and clubs need to try and find a solution via kick off times, how tickets are sold and making it easier to sell unsold tickets but need to ignore noise from the media and bigot brothers fan’s mock outrage. Both Rangers and Celtic fans are guilty of viewing these ties as their home fixture instead of the neutral acre that it should be. (Getting rid of the archaic habit of calling the stands Rangers or Celtic ends would be a start. Ridiculous that Hibs don’t get the East end when playing Celtic.)

Ultimately it is easy and not unreasonable for Celtic (and Rangers) to just ask for as many tickets as they can get but for the likes of us, Aberdeen and Hearts it is a real dilemma tring to judge demand on each occasion depending on kick off time, day, price and form, but it should always start from the basis of a 50/50 split.

NAE NOOKIE
22-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Yes and no.

Where I stand on it as well ..... It would have been daft to sell half the west stand to Celtic fans with Hibs on either side of them. For semis, and only semis' we should be selling an end and the south stand first and only start selling north stand tickets if the sales are good enough. I know folk like the north stand, but this is the only way to sell more tickets to one club without segregation becoming a problem.

I don't have a problem with Celtic's annoyance on this, but as you say Ozy the problem here has been caused by the SPFL not Hibs.

Finals are totally different, I cant see Hibs ever having a problem shifting 20 odd thousand tickets for these.

CMurdoch
22-10-2017, 12:01 PM
A combination of a 12:15 kick off time in Glasgow combined with Live TV coverage and the perceived invincibility of the current Celtic team reduced the number of Hibs fans yesterday. A no brainer.
If additional Celtic fans really wanted to go to the game they could have bought tickets for the Hibs end. Could even have worn a green and white scarf.

What about a radical strategy for similarly affected games in the future.
Behind the goals at Hampden is a ****ty place to watch the game given the distance from the pitch. They could give an end to each team where those who only want to be with supporters of their own team could sit. The remaining two sides could be sold to the supporters of both clubs, who go to the fitba because they love it and who are not interested in abusing their fellow supporters .....

..............nah that would never work :greengrin.

Moulin Yarns
22-10-2017, 12:01 PM
For some perspective, last season Morton v Aberdeen had 16,183. Same kick off time also on BT Sports. How must that have looked on TV?

Season 2105/16 Ross County v Celtc had 22,130. 3 pm kick off but on a Sunday. Don't remember us complaining about a smaller pot of cash!! (We were at Tynie against Saint Johnstone and had 16,971)

Season 2014/15 Aberdeen v Dundee Utd had 29,608 for a 3PM saturday kick off.

Seems the time of the game, the cost of tickets and the fact it was also on TV are major factors affecting crowd size.

givescotlandfreedom
22-10-2017, 12:06 PM
I thought we would have had a much bigger crowd than we did and the club seem to have too.

JeMeSouviens
22-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Where I stand on it as well ..... It would have been daft to sell half the west stand to Celtic fans with Hibs on either side of them. For semis, and only semis' we should be selling an end and the south stand first and only start selling north stand tickets if the sales are good enough. I know folk like the north stand, but this is the only way to sell more tickets to one club without segregation becoming a problem.

I don't have a problem with Celtic's annoyance on this, but as you say Ozy the problem here has been caused by the SPFL not Hibs.

Finals are totally different, I cant see Hibs ever having a problem shifting 20 odd thousand tickets for these.

It wouldn’t be fair to give the best seats to those buying last.

Why not give us whole north stand, Celtc whole south and east and then we start selling west, Celtc get what we can’t sell.

Danderhall Hibs
22-10-2017, 12:22 PM

Must be costing us money as well, not just the other 3?

Moulin Yarns
22-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Must be costing us money as well, not just the other 3?

all money from both games is split between the clubs after costs are deducted.

Yesterday the crowd was 39,813 today, it is looking to be about 10,000 more so a total of say 89,000

Last season the total was 66,800
and 2015/16 it was 39,101 (our game was at Tynie)
2014/15 it was 80,533 including a Celtc v The Rangers game

So bearing that in mind, is it costing us money? I doubt it, we will get more than any of the 3 previous seasons semi-finalists.

G B Young
22-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Hibs are between a rock and a hard place. The tickets only went on sale with 2 weeks till the game and had to estimate demand.

Obviously we have sold out allocations for big games in the past, finals mainly. Semi finals I have seen anywhere between 7,000 and 19,000.. The higher attendances tend to be later KO,s than 12.15.

When Hibs were asked to anticipate demand, considering we have 13,000 season ticket holders , it woudn’t have been unreasonable to expect 15,000 or more which would probaby cause segregation issues if trying to manage selling any unsold tickets to Celtic fans.

Hibs ultimately have to look after Hibs fans first and foremost. Imagine they requested only 15,000 tickets and 17,000 fans tried to get them. .net would have been in meltdown.

The SFA and clubs need to try and find a solution via kick off times, how tickets are sold and making it easier to sell unsold tickets but need to ignore noise from the media and bigot brothers fan’s mock outrage. Both Rangers and Celtic fans are guilty of viewing these ties as their home fixture instead of the neutral acre that it should be. (Getting rid of the archaic habit of calling the stands Rangers or Celtic ends would be a start. Ridiculous that Hibs don’t get the East end when playing Celtic.)

Ultimately it is easy and not unreasonable for Celtic (and Rangers) to just ask for as many tickets as they can get but for the likes of us, Aberdeen and Hearts it is a real dilemma tring to judge demand on each occasion depending on kick off time, day, price and form, but it should always start from the basis of a 50/50 split.

I suspect there would have been an outcry if the club had announced they were only asking for 15k tickets for the game in the first place, whether or not we came close to selling them. In hindsight that's how many they should have asked for, but as you say it was a difficult call for the club.

ancient hibee
22-10-2017, 12:50 PM
I’mafraid that those suggesting west stand seats for Celtic supporters do not have a good grip on Scottish football (Glasgow version).

theonlywayisup
22-10-2017, 12:50 PM
Yes and no.

That's my view too.

In future, I think we should get 12,000 tickets with the potential of getting up to 20,000. If sales up to 12,000 are slow and Celtic/The Rangers have sold their's then we release tickets for the other team to sell. The onus would then be on us Hibs fans to buy our tickets early and continue to buy tickets. Once tickets sales drop off, then the only person to blame for not getting a ticket are those too slow to buy.

Hi Heid Yin
22-10-2017, 12:53 PM
Turn the tables and play the game at Murrayfield and just see how many Celtic fans would have made the trip for a mid day kick-off and televised game.

hibsdaft
22-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Hibs absolutely right to demand 50/50. I heard Celtc only sold out their allocation a couple of days before Saturday. If true the argument there was massive unmet demand from their support does not hold.

If they'd sold out week ago I am sure they'd have been pushing hard for us to return tickets. I wouldn't have had a problem with that but I suspect there would have been segregation issues.

Bishop Hibee
22-10-2017, 01:16 PM
The whole thing is a non-story stoked up by Celtc’s new found entitlement as the establishment club in Scotland.

Stuff them.

green day
22-10-2017, 01:48 PM
Celtic have better players, more money, the media and football hierarchy on their side.

The thought that we should hand them an even larger advantage in a semi final by giving them more fans backing their team is bloody ridiculous.

Semi Finals and Finals should always be 50/50 - unless (e.g. in the case of Motherwell) a team decide not to take tickets.

The pandering to Celtic by the media is disgusting - Tom English in particular is right up their hoop.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
22-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Yes it’s a semi final at a supposedly neutral ground and to otherwise could’ve set a precedent for future games there. We should also have demanded the East side of the ground as well as getting away from the game from that side was the usual nightmare. **** Celtic and the SFA with this traditional end nonsense.

Spot on :agree:

Carheenlea
22-10-2017, 02:49 PM
What about when we played St Johnstone at Tynie?

I wouldn't have any complaints with a 50/50 split in such circumstances. Perhaps it should be up to the clubs? If they are happy to give their opponents a larger allocation, then do so, but I think it should always be split down the middle to start with regardless of support size. If any club doesn't want to give their opponents a vast numerical advantage crowd wise, then they shouldn't need to give up more than half the ground.

Frazerbob
22-10-2017, 03:12 PM
The whole thing is a non-story stoked up by Celtc’s new found entitlement as the establishment club in Scotland.

Stuff them.

Exactly. The witch hunt is pathetic. Celtic v Ross County had 22k at Hampden 2 years ago. Hearts v ICT at Easter Road in 2014 has less than 13k. Where was the outcry then?

SirDavidsNapper
22-10-2017, 03:19 PM
Yes. It's a neutral venue

linlithgowhibbie
22-10-2017, 05:35 PM
It wouldn’t be fair to give the best seats to those buying last.

Why not give us whole north stand, Celtc whole south and east and then we start selling west, Celtc get what we can’t sell.

Very sensible JMS.:thumbsup:

TelaStella
22-10-2017, 05:40 PM
Yes and we should have sold it. Simple

Lago
22-10-2017, 06:50 PM
:top marks
Yes. But the tickets should have been sold in a way that they could have been handed back when it became obvious we couldn't sell them.

weecounty hibby
22-10-2017, 07:11 PM
It's a total bull**** story. When you see the easy ride that hearts are getting over the utter shambles that is their new stand project it is beyond belief. We were right to ask for 50/50 what should we do from now on just ask for 10k and let the OF have as many as they'd like? Why don't we let them chose their own end and wear whatever strip they'd like as well. The last two are outwith Hibs control whereas the number of OF fans can be controlled. They get way way too many advantages as it is in our game so they can GTF with that one.

green day
22-10-2017, 07:18 PM
It's a total bull**** story. When you see the easy ride that hearts are getting over the utter shambles that is their new stand project it is beyond belief. We were right to ask for 50/50 what should we do from now on just ask for 10k and let the OF have as many as they'd like? Why don't we let them chose their own end and wear whatever strip they'd like as well. The last two are outwith Hibs control whereas the number of OF fans can be controlled. They get way way too many advantages as it is in our game so they can GTF with that one.

Exactly my thoughts 👍

Carheenlea
22-10-2017, 08:50 PM

Well said :clapper:

Dashing Bob S
22-10-2017, 09:00 PM
We were wrong. We ought to have demanded 100-0 in our favor as the smell of Hampden and Glasgow are offensive enough already without 25k tramps inside.

blaikie
22-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Regardless if they were playing Hibs or Stirling Albion it should be 50/50, anything other than this can give an unfair advantage! It's already a home game for the old firm at Hampden let's not make it any easier for them.

Carheenlea
22-10-2017, 09:14 PM
We were wrong. We ought to have demanded 100-0 in our favor as the smell of Hampden and Glasgow are offensive enough already without 25k tramps inside.

I'll tell you what did stink - possibly the worst jacket ever seen at the football. A guy had a fleece with images of Henrik Larrson and "Jinky" Johnstone plastered garishly on the full back. Similar in style to those festooned with images of foxes, tigers and dogs you see now again on folk browsing markets or wandering into amusement arcades. Not to ever be seen on DBS of course.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
22-10-2017, 09:32 PM
I was surprised the way the split hampden - in tge same way that we get a bigger allocation dor some games, i dont see why celtix didnt - they shpuld have given us from the South rpund block-by-block.

Also bettet for us, as its better to habe all your fans together rather than dispersed at two different sides of the ground.

Like we got versus Kilmarnock and Livingston amd Ross County in league cup finals.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
22-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Regardless if they were playing Hibs or Stirling Albion it should be 50/50, anything other than this can give an unfair advantage! It's already a home game for the old firm at Hampden let's not make it any easier for them.

Would you say the samr if we played livingston again in a league cup final?

JeMeSouviens
23-10-2017, 10:40 AM
I’mafraid that those suggesting west stand seats for Celtic supporters do not have a good grip on Scottish football (Glasgow version).

The New Hun had half the "Celtc end" yesterday and Celtc have done the same in the past. Check the reaction at the "Rangers" end as this cup final winner hits the net. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1wJlKbCWFk

Dashing Bob S
23-10-2017, 12:03 PM
I'll tell you what did stink - possibly the worst jacket ever seen at the football. A guy had a fleece with images of Henrik Larrson and "Jinky" Johnstone plastered garishly on the full back. Similar in style to those festooned with images of foxes, tigers and dogs you see now again on folk browsing markets or wandering into amusement arcades. Not to ever be seen on DBS of course.

Hang them bloody high I say

Wilson
23-10-2017, 12:09 PM
Would you say the samr if we played livingston again in a league cup final?

People might not say the same. Which is why it should be a standard process rather than ad hoc. Two teams, each deserving to be in the final, offered an even split. It is fair and impartial.

Teams with smaller supports might offer to take less in the first instance. Larger supports would take half and return some (or not) pending sales.

I'm sure that we waited on Kilmarnock returning briefs for our final. As much as every hibby wanted to be at that final it was right that Killie had an opportunity to get their numbers in.

All I know is that, with the potential we have to take big numbers, I would be very unhappy if ground was ceded to Celtic without first giving our fans the opportunity to buy.

Killiehibbie
23-10-2017, 12:17 PM
I’mafraid that those suggesting west stand seats for Celtic supporters do not have a good grip on Scottish football (Glasgow version).Who cares what they prefer at a neutral venue.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
23-10-2017, 12:25 PM
People might not say the same. Which is why it should be a standard process rather than ad hoc. Two teams, each deserving to be in the final, offered an even split. It is fair and impartial.

Teams with smaller supports might offer to take less in the first instance. Larger supports would take half and return some (or not) pending sales.

I'm sure that we waited on Kilmarnock returning briefs for our final. As much as every hibby wanted to be at that final it was right that Killie had an opportunity to get their numbers in.

All I know is that, with the potential we have to take big numbers, I would be very unhappy if ground was ceded to Celtic without first giving our fans the opportunity to buy.

I agree with that. Its just why i think it was odd to sell tixkets they way they did - they should start at south and work around section by section.

JDHibs
23-10-2017, 12:37 PM
Had every right to request 50/50 with our current home ticket sales.

However, the club should have released the tickets back when it was obvious we were going to sell out...

The Harp
23-10-2017, 12:40 PM
Can't remember the same outcry back in season 91/92 when the organisers turned down Hibs request that the Final v Dunfermline be made all ticket.
"No need" was the response the club got which resulted in an estimated 3 to 4k Hibs fans locked out of Hampden although there was vast empty areas in the Dunfermline section of the stadium and an attendance of 40k.
It obviously suits the anti-Hibs bias of some in authority and sections of the media to lambast the club over the empty seats on Saturday. Pathetic!